8.2

1. May 18, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 3D is for me as a Kingdom Hearts Fan absolutely crap. The Fighting-System was great and the gameplay, too. But the story is the worst of all Kingdom Hearts' and there are much mistakes in the story. It might be one of the best 3DS-Games but it's the worst of all Kingdom Hearts games.
  2. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though the story is probobly one of the most dificult to follow in all of video game history, its a solid game that runs smoothly. I have also read that this is the last game for portables and the next one will be KH3, not to spoil but there is a little "confirmermation" in the gamer Expand
  3. Fix
    Feb 18, 2013
    For a portable game, there is quite a large gap between save points. It's not really a game you can play for just a couple minutes; you have to wait until you find the next save point. And if you want to watch the cinematics, you could be waiting 20-30 minutes. In my opinion, portable games should always let the user save at any time they want. I understand the 3DS has a standby option,For a portable game, there is quite a large gap between save points. It's not really a game you can play for just a couple minutes; you have to wait until you find the next save point. And if you want to watch the cinematics, you could be waiting 20-30 minutes. In my opinion, portable games should always let the user save at any time they want. I understand the 3DS has a standby option, but I would rather not have to worry about the next time I'll be able to charge my system, specifically because I'll lose my saved game when I don't. The controls are very complex for a portable game. So much that they suggest buying the right thumb-stick attachment. Again, complex controls do not belong in a game like this. For many of us, this system only gets played for short periods at a time. It's hard to remember the key combinations unless you take the time to learn. I wonder what the target audience is for this. It seems to be for people that play for long periods of time and those who use the 3DS as their main source of video gaming. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2012
    Before beginning this review, I think it's important to mention that I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. I saw a review for this one, looked like fun, so I picked it up. And it IS fun! The battles are fluid and pretty, the spirits you create add an entertaining element to the mix, and the music is wonderful. But after 20 hours of play, the fact that this is my only KH game everBefore beginning this review, I think it's important to mention that I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. I saw a review for this one, looked like fun, so I picked it up. And it IS fun! The battles are fluid and pretty, the spirits you create add an entertaining element to the mix, and the music is wonderful. But after 20 hours of play, the fact that this is my only KH game ever seems to be seriously affecting my enjoyment. The plot is...messy...for a beginner. Cryptic characters appear, deliver a line or two, and vanish. I'm given a 1000-word help document that I can read to sum up an entire game I missed so I can appreciate this character's appearance. And the dialogue goes on and on and on...I can't tell what's actually important and what's just fan-service. Speaking of plot, I can't help but notice how much of it is dialogue recycled almost 100% from other games/movies with a few discussions about hearts and friendship sprinkled in for good measure. I guess what I'm saying is as a GAME it's quite fun; as a STORY it's boring and frustrating. But since I bought this game instead of a book, I can rate it higher than average. Expand
  5. Aug 6, 2012
    Kingdom Hearts 3d: Dream Drop Distance is one of the most beautiful games I've seen on a handheld, but is by no means perfect. Though I enjoyed this game, there are some flaws that hinder the enjoyment.

Firstly, as a kingdom hearts fan, I wish they would stop making these games handheld, as they are not games to play for 5-15 minuets, thanks to save points sometimes being some distance apart, and frequent, sometimes lengthy cinamatics. A game like this would be more comfortable played on the tv over in your hand.

Flow motion, this games biggest change to gameplay, can be a fun, if a bit overpowered addition to gameplay, that makes the normal kingdom hearts fighting nearly irrelevant. why bother with normal attacks and magic combos, when you can just run over to a wall and spam flomotion attacks until everyone's dead.

Thirdly, the game is set between two alternate worlds, one where you play as Sora, and the other as Riku. This would be a cool idea, were it not for the drop in/drop out mechanic, where after 20 minuets or so it forces you to play in the other character's world. This will happen regardless of your situation, whether you are fighting monsters, managing inventory, fighting a boss, etc.

Finally, as interesting as the story will be to kingdom hearts fans who have managed to follow along through the past six games, to anyone new to the Kingdom Hearts series, it may come off as a convoluted mess.

Despite these complaints however, this is in no way a completely terrible game. The art style is unique and strange, the combat is fast-pased and enjoyable, and the voice acting is superb, and this is easily the best looking handheld game I've seen so far.
  6. Sep 5, 2012
    Kh:3d is another spin off in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, this time for the nintendo 3ds. Why square enix keeps changing consoles is beyond me, if you want to play every game you need to buy at least one home console and three handled, 4 consoles in the course of 10 years, with only TWO main entry. This particular game has been marketed as a kingdom hearts 3 in all but the name with anKh:3d is another spin off in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, this time for the nintendo 3ds. Why square enix keeps changing consoles is beyond me, if you want to play every game you need to buy at least one home console and three handled, 4 consoles in the course of 10 years, with only TWO main entry. This particular game has been marketed as a kingdom hearts 3 in all but the name with an emphasis on completely new disney worlds and completely new enemies. Main problem is that this game feels unnecessary, seriosly, I thought that the plot started only in the very last world, the 7 worlds before that felt like a padding where nothing happens. In other installments I thought that the disney world were somehow linked to the main plot, or helped develop character arcs. Here instead it goes like this:"hi I am a stranger, now we're instantly friends! I believe in you! The power of friendship will save the day!". This is overused to the point of not being taken seriously at all. When the plot really starts (again in the very last world) we're bombarded with details that you won't be able to track all at once, you'll go to wikipedia to try to understand what happened. If you pretend that this game has no plot (and it won't be hard to do it), you will be amazed by how well designed are the environments, I personally hate linearity so complicated levels=win. Battle system sees the addition of two elements:flow motion and dream eaters. The former is a way to move faster from point A to B, using contestual commands to inflict damage, the latter is a pokemon-like way of having companions, replacing Donald and Goofy. Managing and developing the dream eater is a game within a game and usually it will require making interactions using the touch screen. Each monster has its own abilities, and can grant the player new upgrades, boosts or skills. Did I say THE player? I should have said the the TWO players: in this game you control both Sora and Riku, not at the same time but skipping from one to the other.
    How the "skip" works can and most of the time will be frustrating, each session with Sora or Riku has a timer, once it reaches zero you suddendly fall asleep and pass the control to the other character. It can be annoying if it happens during the looooong boss fights. Speaking of boss fights, some how enix forgot they were developing for an handeld, so sometimes it will be frustrating die battling the third form of a boss, then starting from the beginning of the battle. The very last part of the game, it has lots of cutscenes, a multi part boss fight, but no "save function" in between, and no "restart when you died" feature, so you would restart from scratch, swearing a lot during the process. In the end should I reccomend this game? Of course I will, you bought it the minute it hit shelves and got a 3ds just to play it. Does it feel necessary? Yes. Does it feel like a good game? Yes, the dream eater managing is so deep and complex that you will find the need to catch'em all ( no pun intended). forget about the story, it stopped making sense halfway through kingdom hearts 2 so play it for the gameplay alone :)
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    This entry to the Kingdom Hearts series introduces th new features - the Drop system and the Spirit raising. The drop system is flawed. Basically Sora and Riku each have a time limit. When the time ends, you are forced to switch. There are items that prolong the time you have, but it gets pretty frustrating when you're in the middle of a boss battle and are forced to switch. Spirit raisingThis entry to the Kingdom Hearts series introduces th new features - the Drop system and the Spirit raising. The drop system is flawed. Basically Sora and Riku each have a time limit. When the time ends, you are forced to switch. There are items that prolong the time you have, but it gets pretty frustrating when you're in the middle of a boss battle and are forced to switch. Spirit raising is a nice little side quest that added a few more hours to my time spent on this game and had more depth then I initially thought. The creatures are varied and it works a little like Pokémon crossed with Nintendogs. Depending on how your spirits are raised, they can use different attacks to aid you in battle. There's also a mini game where three of your spirits battle with three other spirits using a system where you flick out cards to give them orders.

In terms of the story and the main game-play, this game is definitely not for newcomers to the series. I had previously only played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and the storyline really confused me at first. However, there's an explanation of the story for each other game in the series that you can unlock. Another thing is that I felt that the game at the start did a bad job of explaining the command system, and I think it should have broken it down a bit. Controls though are pretty solid. Presentation, graphics and sound is outstanding as usual for Square. A good choice for Disney franchises represented in each world (except for Tron Legacy).

To sum it up, if you are a fan of the series, you'll love this. However newbies should play other games in the series first, and the drop system really needs work.
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is a good game with a sound idea but flawed on its execution. They had some great ideas going on here, but ultimately didn't work out very well. The whole switching between characters by giving you a time limit was great in the sense it forces you to live both Sora's and Riku's stories but can become a huge hassle especially during boss battles! The storyKingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is a good game with a sound idea but flawed on its execution. They had some great ideas going on here, but ultimately didn't work out very well. The whole switching between characters by giving you a time limit was great in the sense it forces you to live both Sora's and Riku's stories but can become a huge hassle especially during boss battles! The story is probably the best aspect of the game, it can be confusing at times if you're like me and think too much into it but it's enjoyable if you've played previous KH games. Plus, it's great to be back in Sora's shoes. Dream Drop Distance sets up the game series for Kingdom Hearts 3, and I can't wait to play a real Kingdom Hearts game. An overall fun game with flawed gameplay, but an intriguing story to set you up for Kingdom Hearts 3. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    The prospect of playing a Final Fantasy vs. Disney game is a strange one. Over the years, I though it was weird, then promising, then unexciting, then weird again, then possibly compelling without even playing a single game. Dream Drop Distance was my chance to form an opinion by actually trying the series, and in the end the experience was a mixed one. As a newcomer to the series, I gotThe prospect of playing a Final Fantasy vs. Disney game is a strange one. Over the years, I though it was weird, then promising, then unexciting, then weird again, then possibly compelling without even playing a single game. Dream Drop Distance was my chance to form an opinion by actually trying the series, and in the end the experience was a mixed one. As a newcomer to the series, I got completely overwhelmed in the start not only by the story, which doesn't seem to really make much sense, but also by the plethora of gameplay mechanics (some of which seem very dispensable, while others are flat out grating).

On the plus side, the visuals are very good, the action can be thrilling at times, and the Disney nostalgia is powerful. But this RPG/adventure hybrid lack the "starting an epic journey" feel inherent to most good Square Enix games. The presence of The World Ends With You characters seems telling here, since I hold pretty much the same opinion regarding that game a promising premise that gets tedious, repetitive and at times submerged by not-so-useful mechanics.
  10. Sep 23, 2012
    I must admit that after four hours of playing this game, I can safely say that it is not for newbies to the Kingdom Heart universe. The story is very confusing, the controls are tight but they are extreme, what I mean is that there are many, many, many, commands to memorize in order to effectively play the game and honestly, its just too much. I just simply lost interest. The dream dropI must admit that after four hours of playing this game, I can safely say that it is not for newbies to the Kingdom Heart universe. The story is very confusing, the controls are tight but they are extreme, what I mean is that there are many, many, many, commands to memorize in order to effectively play the game and honestly, its just too much. I just simply lost interest. The dream drop (which basically swaps the characters in a level to complete certain tasks) feels awkward and forced. Its just not a good game. The graphics and music are top-notch but thats all I can say positive about Kingdom Hearts 3D. I strongly suggest renting or borrowing from someone before purchasing this title. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2012
    Kingdom Hearts 3D signify what is wrong (and right) with Square these days. Great production values but wonky, out dated game mechanics. The drop mechanics is probably one of the most 'annoying innovation', which happens in the middle of boss fights for crying out loud. Sure, you can buy some potions for it, but crap, it's still annoying. Or how about the fact that there is a lot ofKingdom Hearts 3D signify what is wrong (and right) with Square these days. Great production values but wonky, out dated game mechanics. The drop mechanics is probably one of the most 'annoying innovation', which happens in the middle of boss fights for crying out loud. Sure, you can buy some potions for it, but crap, it's still annoying. Or how about the fact that there is a lot of grinding involved, which feels more like padding than anything else. In higher difficulties, the amount of grinding is doubled to get the levels that you need, so much so that I restarted the game to an easier setting just to get off the amount of grinding involved. For a more action based title, KH also feels too loose. The whole fights still jitter all over the place during a fight, just like in KH 1, albeit a bit better. The combat is too simplistic, with a lot of repetitive button mashing. Healing mid fight is still also a pain, and can cause a lot of unnecessary deaths. I know I have a lot of nit pick but that's because Square really needs to upgrade their game mechanics. They spend too much time on its presentation which is becoming more stellar: great use of 3D, orchestra soundtrack and great voice acting. But again, its game mechanics really needs an update. Square can do it, I know for sure, with 'The World Ends with You', one of the best JRPG in the last 5 years or so, but somehow they seems too overwhelmed by this generation of technology. (EHm..cough..Versus XIII...cough) Western RPG developers are leaving them behind: BIOWARE and Bethesda, for example. SQUARE games are nice too look at, but frustrating to play. I hope they can return to an innovative, ground breaking developer they used to be :( Expand
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    The trailer is epic , but the game is not epic as shown in the trailer....I really wonder why they put a same series games over several consoles......I am not the kingdom heart fan who played all the series before , I never play ps2 kh , psp kh , and kh ds before....Actually I don't know what is the earth is going on with the story...This lead me to play psp, gba and ds kingdomThe trailer is epic , but the game is not epic as shown in the trailer....I really wonder why they put a same series games over several consoles......I am not the kingdom heart fan who played all the series before , I never play ps2 kh , psp kh , and kh ds before....Actually I don't know what is the earth is going on with the story...This lead me to play psp, gba and ds kingdom hearts.....Still, I don't get it very well....The cut scene is good , the music is epic without any doubt , the game look a little bit pixelated on 3ds xl but nothing bother the gameplay. My conclusion is......GBA kingdom heart is the best? KINGDOM HEART 3D graphic improvement is impressive ,the story is weird as always , the flowmotion is amazing too! DONT BELIEVE REVIEW, BELIEVE YOURSELF , if you never play this series , you can try it..... If you found out the game is boring , don't blame me hahahahaha Expand
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished this game just a moment ago. The story takes place immediately after the ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. Sora and Riku was called by Master Yen Sid to take the Mark of Mastery exam. By taking that exam, i can prove that they are a true Keyblade Master.

Plus point: - Finally we get to play as Riku! As we know Riku was being possessed by Xehanort since the 1st game, and by the end

Plus point:
    - Finally we get to play as Riku! As we know Riku was being possessed by Xehanort since the 1st game, and by the end of the 2nd game. Sora was able to save Riku from the darkness. So, Riku's story feels really fresh, since it's his first time to fight as "The Good Guys".
    - New flow system and reality shift. This makes the battle more interesting, although at first you'll find it difficult to control your characters with the flowmotion, but you'll get used to it. While the reality shift system utilized the 3DS function, making the battle more interesting.
    - Quick recap to ALL of the Kingdom Hearts series. There are quick recap for every story previous Kingdom Hearts series, including the Birth by Sleep. Although it won't help you to understand the story completely, at least you will understand the referance.

Minus point:
    - This game is totally a side story kind of things. Well, 18 hours of gameplay is really short. So basically this is just a game to connect the dot between KH 2 & 3.
    - The new drop system is really annoying. In this game, you'll play as BOTH Sora & Riku, and you will change when the drop gauge ran out. Basically it's super annoying when you drop while fighting a boss, because when you return as that character, you'll have to fight the boss from the beginning again, back on Full Health. Sucks.
    - The plot twist is just crazy. I can't even follow it anymore. Since when did the game became this confusing? Although i must admit, i already forgot the story of KH 1 & 2. So yeah, this game leaves me with a lot of questions mark. Either it's too deep, or just annoying plot twist.

The verdict:
    KH 3D is a fun game to play. Although it's just some kinda side story, we got to see Riku's in action. Actually this game is more Riku than Sora. Also the world is still as beautiful as ever, especially the world of the sorcery, Totally brings back my childhood memories. The game is fun but don't expect too much from it.
  14. Jul 16, 2015
    After the fun I had with Birth by sleep I was expecting a stellar experience which was not fulfilled. To start with the good things, great graphics, love the battle and drop systems and the level design and the flow motion. The game story finally moves the series forward which is a nice change. However i find this game very forgettable and the story is average, I also think this game triesAfter the fun I had with Birth by sleep I was expecting a stellar experience which was not fulfilled. To start with the good things, great graphics, love the battle and drop systems and the level design and the flow motion. The game story finally moves the series forward which is a nice change. However i find this game very forgettable and the story is average, I also think this game tries to cater to much to the Nintendo crowd with the stupid and useless dream eater enemy/ party member system rather then the hard core fanbase who most likely shelled out on a 3ds just to play the game. But the script is horrible and the ability system sucks ass which really is a shame meaning its harder to do the fairly lacking post game content which the series is famous for. This game overall just doesn't stack up to birth by sleep which is a real shame. Expand
  15. Aug 5, 2015
    Dream Drop Distance relies too heavily on nostalgia to be considered an excellent standalone game in my opinion. However the improved battle system helps to make the game less of a repeat of the previous games.
  16. Aug 6, 2012

1. Nov 12, 2012
    A solid action RPG with tons of great mechanics. However, the mechanics have been over-combined, the game is very difficult and the controls should have been tuned up.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    With it's seventh main game, the Kingdom Hearts-franchise switches things up quite a bit, making room for some exciting new elements, like the flow motion and the including of characters from The World Ends With You. At the same time it manages to keep things like they have been for the past six games, with plenty of beautiful Disney-worlds, great characters and a good mix of action and roleplaying.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    Although the game is more an action-adventure than an RPG, this iteration of the Kingdom Hearts franchise is by far the best pocket adaptation yet. It ties all the loose ends, so that the Kingdom Hearts 3 can have a fresh start. [Sept 2012]