Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS

8.4

1. Aug 15, 2013
    The first thing you learn in Luigi's Mansion 2 is 'don't die'. Because dying means being sent back to the beginning of the mission and losing all your progress. You could be 20-30 minutes in then you die and have to do it all again. For me this led to a lack of motivation to complete the game and is the reason it took me quite along time to finish.

Having said that the game is very good

Having said that the game is very good and has a lot of charm. Luigi's mannerisms in this game are hilarious. The way he cowers and creeps about nervously or just the way he says 'hello?' is so amusing. The games mechanics are solid though combating ghosts is never as much fun as the exploring and puzzle solving aspects.

I spent around 19 hours with Luigi's Mansion 2 but never felt compelled to search for all the hidden items and bonus levels so it is quite along game which I enjoyed despite some niggles.
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion has a great atmosphere and fun gameplay, but it gets repetitive after the first few hours. There are good attempts at trying to mix up the enemies that you face, but generally they're not really all that different. The puzzles can be complex and rewarding, but sometimes are too abstract or obscure for you to know what to do. I found myself looking up guides online afterLuigi's Mansion has a great atmosphere and fun gameplay, but it gets repetitive after the first few hours. There are good attempts at trying to mix up the enemies that you face, but generally they're not really all that different. The puzzles can be complex and rewarding, but sometimes are too abstract or obscure for you to know what to do. I found myself looking up guides online after being stuck for half an hour in the same room, only to find out that I had missed some detail that had me saying "How was I supposed to know that?". If you're mildly interested in the game, I recommend picking it up so that you can scratch that itch, but if you're not already convinced you'll love it, you're not missing much by passing it up. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    This is handhald, we need to be able to save often so we can jump in and out of the game. Without that it becomes unplayable, often. I can't pick it up for a quick 10-15 minutes like I need to with handhelds. This kills me. Absolutely kills me. This game is a easy 9 and a possible 10, but with a flaw that often makes it impossible to actually play, it falls such a huge margin, and I'mThis is handhald, we need to be able to save often so we can jump in and out of the game. Without that it becomes unplayable, often. I can't pick it up for a quick 10-15 minutes like I need to with handhelds. This kills me. Absolutely kills me. This game is a easy 9 and a possible 10, but with a flaw that often makes it impossible to actually play, it falls such a huge margin, and I'm forces to play nsmb2, and I'm so bored of that game. Nintendo, never, ever do this again with a handheld. This has the classic nintendo feel, and is completely unique (finally Nintendo, smarten up and make more of this). When I have the time to sit and play as long as I want, it's the most fun I've had on a handheld. Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    Cute, charming game with lots of personality. Single player and multiplayer are both fun. Individual missions were annoying tho...wish they let you just explore the mansion as a whole. Also the professor interrupting constantly was super annoying too. Game is pretty challenging for a Nintendo game. Overall, a solid game.
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is mostly very enjoyable, with fun gameplay and a lot of secrets to collect and unlock. My only problem with the game is the mission-based structure, which can be annoying and lead to repetition. If you happen to die in on a mission, any progress you've made and any secrets you've discovered are wiped out. You can lose up to 40 minutes of collecting andLuigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is mostly very enjoyable, with fun gameplay and a lot of secrets to collect and unlock. My only problem with the game is the mission-based structure, which can be annoying and lead to repetition. If you happen to die in on a mission, any progress you've made and any secrets you've discovered are wiped out. You can lose up to 40 minutes of collecting and exploration if this happens. This is the one very annoying part of an otherwise pretty great game. Expand
  6. Oct 21, 2013
    Dark Moon is a fun game with unique puzzles and action gameplay. I wish Nintendo permitted more exploration with the mansions and didn't limit the gamer to individual missions. I play my 3ds in short spurts so I struggled to find time to complete a mission or a find a save point. The straight forward "combat" also holds this game back from being great.

Dark Moon is still a good game,

Dark Moon is still a good game, but contains a few areas of needed improvements.
  7. Apr 6, 2013
    This was a great game, but i missed some of the things that i loved from the first game. The mission based gameplay makes the game a lot easier to follow, i didn't get lost anywhere near as many times and in the original, but took a lot of the exploratory feel out of the game. You're still exploring, but you almost always have a direct destination in sight. Also the portrait ghosts wereThis was a great game, but i missed some of the things that i loved from the first game. The mission based gameplay makes the game a lot easier to follow, i didn't get lost anywhere near as many times and in the original, but took a lot of the exploratory feel out of the game. You're still exploring, but you almost always have a direct destination in sight. Also the portrait ghosts were gone, and a lot of the ghosts they replaced them with, despite having great amounts of character, were rather bland. But they fixed many issues with the first game too, its significantly longer, has good puzzles and any control issues i ever had with the first game are solved (mostly due to the "Strobulb"). My favorite part was the development of luigi's character in this one, after the original game i was hoping we would see his personality more. I love that little green mustachioed man, and i do love this game, but it does have its flaws. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    It was fun, and the online multiplayer was excellent, but the story was much to straightforward, and required too little thinking, but the boo hunting was challenging. Also, there weren't enough boss type ghost
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    It is a pretty good game but it is brought down by its awful pacing and sometimes annoying puzzles which sometimes make it feel more like a point and click adventure.
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    The graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story orThe graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story or figuring out the gameplay, but perhaps lacking the nostalgia made me able to be a bit more critical of the game as a whole.

The lack of save points (automatic or manual) is likely to be frustrating for both younger and adult players, it leads to times you must replay the same mission a couple of times, which can be tedious, Additionally between missions Luigi is often summoned to and from the manor he is exploring to visit his mentor, when the player is returned to the manor it is back in the front hall, leaving you to navigate the same path back to where you had just been on your last mission,

The controls are not as fluid as they could be, Luigi's mobility can be really limiting when fighting certain enemies.

I did not enjoy this game as much as I expected to. It has charm and value, but I would not label it a "Must Have" game for the 3DS console.
  11. Feb 2, 2014
    I totally liked this game's graphics and 3D-effect. The game got many funny parts, which made me smile a lot.
    Gameplay is quite funny, too: You have to explore a bunch of mansions and to capture some boss ghost in each of one. Each mansion is splitted into some missions, which each take you closer to the boss ghost. This is something I don't like, because you cannot save the game while you are playing a mission, and at each mission's end, you'll see a mission complete screen, how much points you got etc. This ruins some of the game's normally great atmosphere.
    When I started playing it, I learned that you can upgrade your vacuum cleaner buy collecting coins. I really liked this idea, but was disappointed after a few hours, when I saw that I have already unlocked all possible upgrades. Additionally, you are not able to choose the order in which those upgrades unlock.
    So after I completed every mission, I put this game aside and not think of ever play it again. It has an extremely low replay value. I have to admit, that I didn't try the Multiplayer, though.

I will give this game a 6, because it was quite fun, beautiful and so on, but it just isn't worth the 45€ I spent for it, because I know I will never play it again.
  12. Apr 12, 2013

Nintendo claims 2013 is the year of Luigi, that’s a bold statement to make for the third wheel of Nintendo’s power couple. The first phase of this themed year is the new game in the Luigi’s Mansion series. I have to admit I have never played Luigi’s Mansion on the Gamecube so I came into this game with no bearing on what I was going to experience and no real expectations. I can happily say that Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon impressed me and is another great title in the 3DS lineup.

The best way I can describe this game would be a mashup between a Zelda dungeon and a 3D Mario platforming level, it borrows ideas from both but is still quite unique. One of the high points of the game is the presentation value, the characters are animated smoothly and audio is spot on.

Story: This is a Nintendo game so story is obviously not the selling point. Luigi is once again back as a reluctant ghostbuster after Professor E. Gadd (Ha, I get it) has found that the dark moon has been shattered and the pieces stolen causing all the surrounding ghosts to become hostile. This leads Luigi through five different haunted locales to collect the pieces of the dark moon and pacify the ghosts. It suffers from the overused “something has broken and you have to collect the pieces” idea that is a staple in a vast majority of Nintendo games but gets the job done.

Gameplay: The overall mechanics of the game are simple. Once Luigi is in one of the levels he has to solve puzzles and catch ghosts. Catching the ghosts could best be describe as a fishing minigame, using the Poltergust 5000 you suck them into the vacuum on your back. The Poltergust is also upgradable to make it more powerful which adds some depth to the game.

The second function of the Poltergust is a special rainbow light that can expose hidden objects in the levels. These two functions combine to be the main way to solve the games many puzzles. I found the haunted houses played out like a dungeon in a Zelda game, as you progress you get keys to open up new area’s. It is rewarding and fun.

One problem with the gameplay I had was in the way Luigi crosses beams, it uses the systems gyroscope to balance while crossing (Similar to Uncharted: Drake Fortune). It was way too sensitive leading to a lot of needless falls. I see this mechanic in several games and I never get it, it’s not fun and if you're playing with the 3D on then tilting the system causes the screen to be out of focus.

The boss fights in this game are a treat, they are all very clever and well designed and most importantly are fun to play. Utilizing the environments and figuring out how to cause damage was super fun, I can honestly say these are some of the best, most imaginative boss fights I have played in years.

Apart from the levels objectives there are optional collectibles to find. Each level contains hidden gems and a hidden Boo.The levels are broken into 10-20 minute segments that fit the handheld experience great. The overall challenge is fun but there are times where checkpoints would have been appreciated.

Graphics: This is one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The character models are great and the detail in the movement and animation is stellar. Luigi is brought to life in this game in a way that is rare for Nintendo, he has a vaudevillian way of interacting with the game's environments that was always entertaining. Lighting and shadow effects were also fantastic to create the moody environments.

The level design could have had a bit more variety but that is a small complaint considering they are essentially all haunted houses.

Overall: I really enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, The game is fun and engaging with great puzzles and some of the best boss fights I have played in recent memory. It’s good to see Luigi get some respect and fans of the Mushroom Kingdom will have a small treat at the end of the game that is a long time coming for Luigi. if you have a 3DS and are looking for a fun 12-15 hour experience then look no further than Luigi’s Mansion.

8.0/10

1. May 31, 2013
    Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon is a stellar sequel to a forgettable classic. Nintendo has refined the formula and made it interesting to fans and even those that didn’t find the appeal behind the original. For those looking for the next great 3DS game, don’t sleep on Luigi’s latest.
  2. May 27, 2013
    If Next Level Games had opted to make Dark Moon more of an open-world experience, granting the player free will to poke around its gloomily graceful environments without continual check-in interruptions, it could have been equated to a minor masterpiece. But the game is still something of a small wonder.
  3. May 22, 2013
    Beautiful, fun, ingenious and unique.