8.6

1. Mar 24, 2013
    Picked this up with my kid's this morning. They made me get up early and take them to BestBuy as soon as it opened.

They've been glued to our 3DS's ever since. They're just trying the multiplayer right now and are having a blast.
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    It's been years since luigi has got his own game and this is the perfect return.The graphics are so stunning and the characters have a lot of personality the multiplayer is good as well
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    As usual a great Nintendo 1st party entry. Great humor, great gameplay and just pure fun. I have played through Luigis Mansion 2-3 times and love it. This takes what made the original great and expands upon it while not straying to far from the formula. In my eyes that is what makes a sequel truly great.
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    I made an account simply to give a good review for this game. I loved the first game and this one is even better! Its art style is very interesting, and the game play is flawless. The dialogue is pretty funny too.
  5. Mar 27, 2013
    Luigi's mansion is Nintendo in it's best creative shape. The player controls Luigi, that is equipped only with a lantern and a vacuum cleaner, and despise only those two equipments the game never stops to innovate, the puzzles are always fresh and the game never repeats itself. If that weren't enough this game is so funny that keeps the player laughing form the begging to the end like very fell games have done so far. The 3D graphics are gorgeous, probably the best ever done for a game and with tons of collectibles and a decent multiplayer it will keeps the player coming back for more. With this game Nintendo showed that still has plenty of gas for working on innovation. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    The controls are very well implemented, modifying the mechanics a little to make sure it's playable nicely with just one stick. The gameplay is challenging and balanced with the puzzles, which are a little on the easy side.
    On the graphics department, aside from the usual ghosting that is now characteristic of the 3DS hardware, it runs really good, dropping in FPS only when sucking more
    than 2 ghosts. The game shines in its animations, which are numerous, polished and hilarious to look at.
    With the humming and whistling of Luigi back, as well as some great new tracks, the sound does a great job bringing the atmosphere to life. From around 15 hours of Single Player play time (without getting everything), plus a really interesting and fun multiplayer mode, this game is sure to be worth your buck
    I give this game a 9.5, which I decided to put as 10 in the little bar. Get this game, it's amazing!
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    My thumbs are sore! This game is so much fun it's causing me physical pain. Beautifully rendered and skillfully designed there are few hand held titles that reach this level of excellence. While it's not without some faults and annoyances it's a super solid experience.
  8. Mar 27, 2013
    Turn up the 3D! This game must be experienced in 3D to be fully understood! I turned up the 3D on my new 3DS XL, and the result is a fantastic experience! This game clearly has been polished over the past few years to look great in 3D! The gameplay isn't too bad either sucking up the ghosts is way more fun than I thought it would be. Everything has a charm and humor that you can only get with Nintendo characters. Luigi is great I never stop smiling when he is humming along to the music! The music is fun and light and spooky all at the same time. Each mission is about 20-30 minutes, so be sure to have that much time ahead of you before you start a new stage. This is one of those games that should be in every 3DS owner's library! 5/5 stars highly recommended! Expand
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    I have spent about 3 hours with this game and love it! Good to see that Nintendo is at least paying attention to one of its consoles. If you haven't picked it up you should!
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is the funniest thing you are gonna find in the 3DS. If you own a 3DS you must get this game along with 3D Land, because as 3D Land this game was design for the 3DS.
  11. Mar 25, 2013
    Haven't played many 3DS games but when I saw this was coming out I had to pick it up. All in all it's a fun game with puzzles and lots of collectibles. The controls are easy and work perfect, although after an hour or so joystick thumb started to hurt. But that's besides the point, games fun for all ages. My only grip is that I can't freely explore the mansions after i have beaten them, you have to play through the entire level to collect everything if you've missed somethings. But other then that I'd recommended this. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2013
    Simply amazing!! Nintendo is on a roll now and this here game just oozes with charm! Excellent graphics, great design, and game play to back it all up. This can sell systems and any fan of video games needs to try this one out.

I'm also going to take a guess that our 0 review friend doesn't even own a 3ds! I hate trolls.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    Another great Nintendo game that tops the first Luigi's Mansion. They sort of messed up the checkpoint system, there should have been more, but if you have a 3ds this is a must buy.
  14. Mar 25, 2013
    WOW! love the game... it really shows what Nintendo/developers are capable of. Its a must buy for all Mario and Nintendo fans! P.S Multilayer is a blast!
  15. Mar 24, 2013
    This game brings back a lot of happy memories from the original game for the gamecube. The ghosts are charming, and the game play is fun and challenging. The only thing that would make it better would be a second stick so you could turn and use your flashlight and Poltergust
  16. Mar 27, 2013
    Very good game. Brings me back to my childhood on the gamecube playing this game for hours. The graphics are really nice and the idea of multiple houses instead of just one makes it that much better. However there are a few minor problems that can become and annoyance, the overall game is spectacular and worth every penny I paid for it.
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    I never played the original Luigi's mansion on the Gamecube so I wasn't sure what to expect here. To those that don't know, this isn't a 3D Mario game in green clothing. In fact, Mario's signature move, the famous jump, is not even present in this game. This game has very unique mechanics for a Nintendo game and Luigi brings his own personality along to match. The game relies on 2 main functions: the vacuum and the flashlight. It is simply amazing the amount of things that you can do with these 2 simple actions. The game introduces you to something new in almost every outing and this keeps the adventure feeling fresh from beginning to end. This is an excellent puzzle game full of charm and should not be missed by any Nintendo fans. This is not the best game on the 3DS but it is certainly in the top 10 in my opinion. Expand
  18. Mar 24, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube was one of my favorite games on that system. 10 years after its release, a sequel was announced at E3 2011. I have been eagerly anticipating this game since then. Here we are in 2013, and the game has been released. It fully met and exceeded my hype. Gameplay 8/10; The "combat" system isn't much, just shock the ghosts with your flashlight and hold down R to suck the ghosts into your vacuum.. However, the ghosts get increasingly difficult to fight, and boss battles are puzzle-like and extremely fun.
    Story 7/10; The story is basic, but you should expect that from a Luigi's Mansion game.
    Graphics 9/10; This game is the most beautiful game on the 3DS. The developers really toke advantage of the hardware.
    Sound 9/10; The music really helps create the haunted mansion atmosphere. And Luigi's humming from time to time is always funny.
    Overall 33/40, 8.3/10, or 83/100; If you have a 3DS, you owe it to yourself to get this game.
  19. Mar 25, 2013
    I am a huge Nintendo fan and one of my favorite Nintendo franchises is Luigi's Mansion. The gameplay is more fast paced than the previous Luigi's Mansion and the new features are fantastic. The game is very entertaining and the cut scenes are hilarious. The 3d effect in this game is the best I have ever seen on the 3ds. With the very fun story mode and online/local multiplayer this game should keep you entertained for a long time. This game is worth buying a 3ds for. Expand
  20. May 26, 2013
    This is an Amazing game and a faithful to the original, even though there is some things i didn't like
    1. the Stupid mission objectives it takes you out of the game its just dumb! the multiple mansions could be fun the explore but there not all because of this!!!!

2. E. Gadd calling ever second something happens
    3. stupid Ghost dogs!!!

ill give it an 8 just for the stupid missions!!!
  21. Mar 28, 2013
    This is handhald, we need to be able to save often so we can jump in and out of the game. Without that it becomes unplayable, often. I can't pick it up for a quick 10-15 minutes like I need to with handhelds. This kills me. Absolutely kills me. This game is a easy 9 and a possible 10, but with a flaw that often makes it impossible to actually play, it falls such a huge margin, and I'm forces to play nsmb2, and I'm so bored of that game. Nintendo, never, ever do this again with a handheld. This has the classic nintendo feel, and is completely unique (finally Nintendo, smarten up and make more of this). When I have the time to sit and play as long as I want, it's the most fun I've had on a handheld. Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is really fun... when you're actually able to play it. However, each mission only lets you explore a limited amount of a mansion at once. Also, you're constantly interrupted by message from the Professor telling you what to do. Even when you replay a mission, there's still the same constant interruptions that you've already heard. The mansion bosses are kinda all over the place in terms of fun and difficulty. There's upgrades you can get for Luigi, but they're all in a fixed order, and you get all of them pretty early on.

Really, the biggest thing to me is that the replay value of the game is killed because there's always stuff in your way preventing you from just exploring a whole mansion at once, and there's always dumb messages from E. Gad that you can't skip over, telling you the same things you already know.
  23. Aug 15, 2013
    The first thing you learn in Luigi's Mansion 2 is 'don't die'. Because dying means being sent back to the beginning of the mission and losing all your progress. You could be 20-30 minutes in then you die and have to do it all again. For me this led to a lack of motivation to complete the game and is the reason it took me quite along time to finish.

Having said that the game is very good
    and has a lot of charm. Luigi's mannerisms in this game are hilarious. The way he cowers and creeps about nervously or just the way he says 'hello?' is so amusing. The games mechanics are solid though combating ghosts is never as much fun as the exploring and puzzle solving aspects.

I spent around 19 hours with Luigi's Mansion 2 but never felt compelled to search for all the hidden items and bonus levels so it is quite along game which I enjoyed despite some niggles.
  24. Jul 20, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion has a great atmosphere and fun gameplay, but it gets repetitive after the first few hours. There are good attempts at trying to mix up the enemies that you face, but generally they're not really all that different. The puzzles can be complex and rewarding, but sometimes are too abstract or obscure for you to know what to do. I found myself looking up guides online after being stuck for half an hour in the same room, only to find out that I had missed some detail that had me saying "How was I supposed to know that?". If you're mildly interested in the game, I recommend picking it up so that you can scratch that itch, but if you're not already convinced you'll love it, you're not missing much by passing it up. Expand
  25. Apr 12, 2013

Nintendo claims 2013 is the year of Luigi, that’s a bold statement to make for the third wheel of Nintendo’s power couple. The first phase of this themed year is the new game in the Luigi’s Mansion series. I have to admit I have never played Luigi’s Mansion on the Gamecube so I came into this game with no bearing on what I was going to experience and no real expectations. I can happily say that Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon impressed me and is another great title in the 3DS lineup.

The best way I can describe this game would be a mashup between a Zelda dungeon and a 3D Mario platforming level, it borrows ideas from both but is still quite unique. One of the high points of the game is the presentation value, the characters are animated smoothly and audio is spot on.

Story: This is a Nintendo game so story is obviously not the selling point. Luigi is once again back as a reluctant ghostbuster after Professor E. Gadd (Ha, I get it) has found that the dark moon has been shattered and the pieces stolen causing all the surrounding ghosts to become hostile. This leads Luigi through five different haunted locales to collect the pieces of the dark moon and pacify the ghosts. It suffers from the overused “something has broken and you have to collect the pieces” idea that is a staple in a vast majority of Nintendo games but gets the job done.

Gameplay: The overall mechanics of the game are simple. Once Luigi is in one of the levels he has to solve puzzles and catch ghosts. Catching the ghosts could best be describe as a fishing minigame, using the Poltergust 5000 you suck them into the vacuum on your back. The Poltergust is also upgradable to make it more powerful which adds some depth to the game.

The second function of the Poltergust is a special rainbow light that can expose hidden objects in the levels. These two functions combine to be the main way to solve the games many puzzles. I found the haunted houses played out like a dungeon in a Zelda game, as you progress you get keys to open up new area’s. It is rewarding and fun.

One problem with the gameplay I had was in the way Luigi crosses beams, it uses the systems gyroscope to balance while crossing (Similar to Uncharted: Drake Fortune). It was way too sensitive leading to a lot of needless falls. I see this mechanic in several games and I never get it, it’s not fun and if you're playing with the 3D on then tilting the system causes the screen to be out of focus.

The boss fights in this game are a treat, they are all very clever and well designed and most importantly are fun to play. Utilizing the environments and figuring out how to cause damage was super fun, I can honestly say these are some of the best, most imaginative boss fights I have played in years.

Apart from the levels objectives there are optional collectibles to find. Each level contains hidden gems and a hidden Boo.The levels are broken into 10-20 minute segments that fit the handheld experience great. The overall challenge is fun but there are times where checkpoints would have been appreciated.

Graphics: This is one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The character models are great and the detail in the movement and animation is stellar. Luigi is brought to life in this game in a way that is rare for Nintendo, he has a vaudevillian way of interacting with the game's environments that was always entertaining. Lighting and shadow effects were also fantastic to create the moody environments.

The level design could have had a bit more variety but that is a small complaint considering they are essentially all haunted houses.

Overall: I really enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, The game is fun and engaging with great puzzles and some of the best boss fights I have played in recent memory. It’s good to see Luigi get some respect and fans of the Mushroom Kingdom will have a small treat at the end of the game that is a long time coming for Luigi. if you have a 3DS and are looking for a fun 12-15 hour experience then look no further than Luigi’s Mansion.

8.0/10

26. Jun 19, 2013
    I feel deceived, somewhere or sometime it said this game was a horror game. This game is not scary at all. I'm docking most of the marks mostly from that fact. Since this game really isn't really comparable to any other titles (except the original), I'd call it highly original and it is also packed with many collectibles which is a positive factor for any game (unless they are a nuisance). Overall, 8.7/10 Expand
  27. Mar 31, 2013
    Now I do not usually write reviews on games as my opinions might be hated by people. This is an exception as I LOVED the original game and needed to voice why I think this game is equal to/better than the original. Note: I also played the original A LOT. I beat the game 8 times and got the A mansion. Now, this review won't be divided into too many sections. GAMEPLAY: The gameplay is much more varied than the original game. To fight some ghosts you have to wait at a certain time before you flash them (not taking your clothes off) with the light or use the dark light device on the Boos to reveal where they are. The original was mostly turning your flashlight off then on when the ghost was in the path. The only part I did not like, but am starting to not mind too much, is that you cannot turn around with the light being charged. It is a minor annoyance.

STORY:

The story in this game is just as silly as the original (in a good way). The "Dark Moon" was destroyed by someone (will not say who) and the ghosts went crazy. Then you are called upon by Professor E. Gadd (he makes a return) to help fix the moon. The story is really good in this game.

Those are the two categories I am going to touch on because that is mostly what I personally look for in a Nintendo game (gameplay more than story).
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    awesome game, very much worth the 12 years wait, a must buy for the 3DS, and I wish LM 3 releases for the WII U and soon, maybe 2 years when it more people might bought it
  29. Mar 28, 2013
    I haven't played the Gamecube version so when I bought this I had no idea of what I was getting myself into.After spending the last 4 hours playing this game I can safely say it's fun very,very fun.The game has a great sense of humor,the controls are a bit clunky at first but you'll quickly get used to them and the graphics are fantastic but the best part of this game is Luigi himself.He's just such a funny and likable character even if he is a scaredy cat Expand
  30. Apr 22, 2013
    Well worth the wait after 12 years. A very fun game and easily one of the best on the system's still small library. The different mansions to explore and multiplayer makes it even better. From a person who really disliked the gamecube game, I highly recommend the sequel.

1. May 31, 2013
    Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon is a stellar sequel to a forgettable classic. Nintendo has refined the formula and made it interesting to fans and even those that didn’t find the appeal behind the original. For those looking for the next great 3DS game, don’t sleep on Luigi’s latest.
  2. May 27, 2013
    If Next Level Games had opted to make Dark Moon more of an open-world experience, granting the player free will to poke around its gloomily graceful environments without continual check-in interruptions, it could have been equated to a minor masterpiece. But the game is still something of a small wonder.
  3. May 22, 2013
    Beautiful, fun, ingenious and unique.