Metroid Prime: Federation Force 3DS

5.1

1. Aug 21, 2016
    This is not a true Metroid game. So much so that it's hard to not think of it as a declaration of creative bankruptcy. Chibi characters in a series that's known for it's haunting, eerie atmosphere. Random space marines in a series known for it's strong protagonist. Nintendo truly has fallen from grace...
  2. Oct 20, 2016
    bad game, get the real metroids on the wii u e shop...................................................................................... just bad.....
  3. Aug 20, 2016
    This games not that good I went in thinking it would be a great game looking at Nintendo themed YouTube channels praise the game to high hell! Its pretty mediocre and I barely really enjoyed the game, most of the time the clunky control elements. The multiplayer aspect seemed fun for a couple hours then gets repetitive very quickly. The original 3DS's DMP PICA200 GPU can handle way moreThis games not that good I went in thinking it would be a great game looking at Nintendo themed YouTube channels praise the game to high hell! Its pretty mediocre and I barely really enjoyed the game, most of the time the clunky control elements. The multiplayer aspect seemed fun for a couple hours then gets repetitive very quickly. The original 3DS's DMP PICA200 GPU can handle way more advance shader and polygon construction, so why the graphics are so mediocre is beyond me. The game had some lock up lag here and there on my New 3DS that was suppose to up the performance, but its barely noticeable.
    I'm not a Metroid fan, i only own Prime 3 and strangely a lot of people started going against angered fans defending the game and calling the game great and constantly telling the fans to shut up. Well fact of the matter, its really not a great game, people defending it just because a fanbase has a vocal outcry for an actual metroid game also won't help, it just shows Nintendo to make more of whatever this was. People defending it JUST because the fans are complaining about it will damage the IP's future releases. So I am probably going to agree with the fans, its sad they can't get something they have been waiting desperately for.
  4. Aug 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is an unfortunate disappointment, one that is far worse than what you might expect. It takes a while to really sink in what is wrong, and the time it would take to accurately explain every problem would exceed the 5000 character limit of these reviews, so I'll be brief:

-imbalanced online play
    -blast ball is boring and just a rocket league ripoff
    -singleplayer is boring and clearly designed around multiplayer, instead of being a singleplayer experience. So if you're playing it offline, you're out of luck buddy.
    -also of note is that there's no Metroid-y gameplay here. You don't explore, you don't collect powerups. Nothing. Anything resembling those things is pretty much presented to you already with no effort.
    -I don't really know many people who care about the story, so I really can't say anything one way or another. But it's a Nintendo story, don't go in expecting Macbeth.
    -looks really dated. the chibi artstyle does not work at all, and lacks the timeless artistic vision of games like Splatoon and Wind Waker. Those games will stand the test of time, while this one just looks blurry and poorly designed. Even Metroid Prime Hunters was a better option in terms of graphical presentation.
    -the bosses are horrible. They're not even that hard, designed for children even if I would be so bold. (spoiler: the treatment they gave Samus in particular just reeks of lazy design. You can tell she was only even in there to advertise Blast Ball. You'll see what I mean if you look it up)
    -overall there isn't a single redeeming thing about this trainwreck.

Look, if you want an online game to play with your buddies, Overwatch or Splatoon or Triforce Heroes are much better, far more well designed games. I would recommend them in a heartbeat over this game. i wouldn't even waste your time with this.
  5. Aug 19, 2016
    Federation Force is generic, repetitive and uninspired. It lacks the isolation and dark atmosphere that the franchise is known for and artistically it's the complete opposite of what you would expect from a Metroid title.
  6. Aug 20, 2016
    I thought Mighty No.9 would be the worst game of 2016; but I definitely have to say that even though Mighty No.9 had some awful gameplay flaws, it comes no where close to the utter trash that is the control scheme in Federation Force. Configuration "A" has a forced motion control layout for aiming and traveling through each mission that makes this game feel like a launch title game withI thought Mighty No.9 would be the worst game of 2016; but I definitely have to say that even though Mighty No.9 had some awful gameplay flaws, it comes no where close to the utter trash that is the control scheme in Federation Force. Configuration "A" has a forced motion control layout for aiming and traveling through each mission that makes this game feel like a launch title game with the forced gimmick. Configuration "B" has a button layout that doesn't seem to be well thought out. The ZL is the lockon button that is position a little further away from the L button which wouldn't be a problem if shooting wasn't the R button which makes things seem out of place. Also, the C stick under this configuration is appropriate if only it would respond accurate to your input like it does with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. The missions on a design stand point look like the work of someone just learning game design. The story is introduced horribly with an awful forced tutorial section and off putting lazy dialogue. I tried to give this game a chance and over look the graphics, the title, the poor cutscenes, and I went in this with low expectations. The controls are what killed it for me with this game. I did not think that a Nintendo game would disappoint to this degree. Especially seeing how the last portable metroid game allowed a customized control scheme. This is the Star Fox Zero of the portable game world. I guess that the Nintendo Seal of Approval means nothing anymore. Any future game developers reading this please take a good note to play test your game. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2016
    This is an alarming trend that is occurring in the gaming industry lately and this is yet another example of a game developer who thinks he knows better than his customers do about what the majority of customers want. When this game was announced and received severe backlash from the community on YouTube, the game developer should have done one of two things: 1. Drastically change thisThis is an alarming trend that is occurring in the gaming industry lately and this is yet another example of a game developer who thinks he knows better than his customers do about what the majority of customers want. When this game was announced and received severe backlash from the community on YouTube, the game developer should have done one of two things: 1. Drastically change this game to meet the overall customer sentiment at the time, perhaps even scrapping most of it and starting with a fresh new release date and game plan or 2. Cancel the game, issue an apology to the gaming community and send out polls via email asking people what they want from a Metroid Prime game. Instead, the game developer decided that customers are too stupid to decide on what they really want and tried to force-feed this trash onto the community. What resulted was increased hostility, backlash, and resentment from the community as well as unrepairable damage to the Metroid Prime franchise. The next example coming up will be Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: another example of a game developer trying to shove their game into our hands despite major opposition from the majority of the community, including the second most disliked YouTube video ever made, just below Justin Bieber. Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2016
    Simply awful.....how can anyone give this game anything above a 5 has me scratching my head. This game is a disgrace to the Metroid franchise and Sega..I mean Nintendo is okay with this? How about make a traditional metroid game in 2d with an elaborate map and lot of exploration? It's a below mediocre game but since it's getting such high scores from Nintendo fanboys, I'm going to give itSimply awful.....how can anyone give this game anything above a 5 has me scratching my head. This game is a disgrace to the Metroid franchise and Sega..I mean Nintendo is okay with this? How about make a traditional metroid game in 2d with an elaborate map and lot of exploration? It's a below mediocre game but since it's getting such high scores from Nintendo fanboys, I'm going to give it a 0 to you know even out the score a little bit. Tanks for reading. if you like this then click my username and read my other review.s thx Expand
  9. Aug 25, 2016
    This game had much to live up to, but it just becomes another crappy low budget FPS that I could find and get cheaper. Or better yet just buy a better game! This isn't even Metriod it's cheap and it's over priced! Maybe if this game was 15$ and Eshop only with blast ball maybe I could see this being okay. As it stands it's not worth the 40$ they ask, just go buy SM or MZM or MF on the WiiUThis game had much to live up to, but it just becomes another crappy low budget FPS that I could find and get cheaper. Or better yet just buy a better game! This isn't even Metriod it's cheap and it's over priced! Maybe if this game was 15$ and Eshop only with blast ball maybe I could see this being okay. As it stands it's not worth the 40$ they ask, just go buy SM or MZM or MF on the WiiU Eshop or get the REAL Prime games, and if you want just get Prime Hunters as it is a much better game old but good game. This game however is an insult, to my and any metriod fan. I have played every single metriod game to date! Even cringey Other M but this still somehow is worse. Expand
  10. Aug 25, 2016
    tell Tanabe if he wants to do a MP4, be sure to leave out the whole "missions" trashe out of this. and if he wants to avoid visual problems on the 3DS, do it on the WiiU/NX.

Blast Ball however is fine in my book.

as of now, i rather play Star Fox Guard
  11. Sep 6, 2016
    I will 1/10 this game without feeling guilty about it. It's disgusting how Nintendo has been treating the Metroid franchise and its fans. There was no 30th anniversary and they greenlit a game which lost all the Metroid charm after 9 years of nothing. There is no exploration, no story, no scanning, no item upgrades, the music is terrible and the graphics are a joke. Nintendo needs toI will 1/10 this game without feeling guilty about it. It's disgusting how Nintendo has been treating the Metroid franchise and its fans. There was no 30th anniversary and they greenlit a game which lost all the Metroid charm after 9 years of nothing. There is no exploration, no story, no scanning, no item upgrades, the music is terrible and the graphics are a joke. Nintendo needs to listen to its fans for once and keep in touch with the modern gaming atmosphere.

Color Splash is next.
  12. Dec 8, 2016
    It barely has anything to do with metroid besides a few times they mention samus, why did they even call this metroid prime? Why didn't they call it "don't buy this game, it's **** federation force"

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 9, 2016
    Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a clear sign of Nintendo either not understanding or just not caring about what kind of games their player base wants. It’s a shame really, since Federation Force controls pretty well. It just has the burden of being a multiplayer shooter in a series no one wants to be about multiplayer shooters and on a platform no one wants to use for multiplayer games outside of Japan. [Nov 2016]
  2. Games Master UK
    Nov 9, 2016
    No classic, but no mess either. [Nov 2016, p.76]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 21, 2016
    Mission objectives are rarely limited to simple elimination of opposition: from the very beginning game presents tasks like luring animals into cages or infiltrating enemy base. Not to mention that there are tons of levers or buttons to be pushed and secret passages to be found, which brings back fond memories of FPS from the 90-s, as well as classic Metroid games. [Issue#213, p.56]