Metroid Prime: Federation Force 3DS

5.1

1. Aug 19, 2016
    Federation Force is meant to be a multiplayer game and it is not necessarily but game suffers from a few critical issues.
    Federation force encourages you to play with your friends, it does not restrict from doing missions solo but it just feels so bland and tasteless. with having other friends in your game the game feels more alive and enjoyable.
    first problem is problematic control
    first problem is problematic control scheme. getting used to motion sensor for shooting accuracy is kind of annoying, but the second control scheme which benefits from extra control of new 3ds is much better.
    The gameplay takes place in 3 different planets, variety of missions are present and takes roughly 11-13 hours to complete the campaign. The problem is some of the objectives are a bit dull, but each mission has its own set of unique designs, battles and puzzles which kept me interested throughout the whole game enough. One of the biggest issue in the game is upgrades and guns, sadly there arent enough resources in the game to use these upgrades more often, this result into a boring single gun for the whole 13 hours. I believe this is the biggest issue and it adds so much repetition. battles are fun and boss fights are challenging and amazing but sadly having a same gun makes the action boring. Overall I should say Federation force could have been much better if some of the ideas were executed better.
    Is it worth it ? Im going to say YES it is, its not like 3ds gets FPS games now and then, nth is better than a metroid prime spinoff at least ! but i am going to emphasize also this game isnt that good playing solo !
  2. Aug 20, 2016
    You know I would have been happy to come here and say "yeah it's not even resembling a Metroid game, but at least it's fun", but...it's not.

It's generic as hell, uninspired, it's a decent game, but take out the brand name, and most people would just say "it looks like monster hunter crossed with Halo, but way less good than either". Which is why they stuck the brand name I guess.

Which is why they stuck the brand name I guess.

So let me just add my paper to the pile and say: I'm a metroid fan, this is not what I wanted, this is not a metroid game, AM2R is a metroid game, which was forbidden by Nintendo by the way, and it's still far more loving and respectful of Metroid than this generic shooter.

Speaking of respect, let me spoil and say that the final boss of this already forgotten crap is Samus herself. Yes, you end the game by killing Samus Aran and trapping her under falling debris. Nice love letter for the 30 years of existence of your best franchise, Nintendo.

Play AM2R.

Don't bother with Federation Force.
  3. Aug 19, 2016
    You see, I've been sitting all day... asking my 3DS, "Is this game worth it or not? They can't fail to make this one a bummer, unlike Star Fox Zero (Score for that is a solid 7/10)." That's until I'm starting to recognize its flaws while playing this game. While the game itself may or may not be filled with the best fun, the iconic feeling that made Metroid what it is today is obviouslyYou see, I've been sitting all day... asking my 3DS, "Is this game worth it or not? They can't fail to make this one a bummer, unlike Star Fox Zero (Score for that is a solid 7/10)." That's until I'm starting to recognize its flaws while playing this game. While the game itself may or may not be filled with the best fun, the iconic feeling that made Metroid what it is today is obviously missing and I can't play this game without thinking of those feelings. It may seem to work enough as a 30th anniversary game though. All Metroid fans, this game is not as bad as you thought it would, but don't be expecting much of it because I know what your opinion could be. Expand
  4. Sep 2, 2016
    I just got the game, and here's my honest opinions on it. Metroid Prime: Federation Force can be fun with multiplayer, and a hell of a struggle on singleplayer. The simple, chibi character design compliments the game, runs smoothly online and offline, and the environments look nice, especially for a 3DS game. The downsides I found are there's no character development, repetitive missionsI just got the game, and here's my honest opinions on it. Metroid Prime: Federation Force can be fun with multiplayer, and a hell of a struggle on singleplayer. The simple, chibi character design compliments the game, runs smoothly online and offline, and the environments look nice, especially for a 3DS game. The downsides I found are there's no character development, repetitive missions and is a somewhat linear game compared to other Metroid games, being exploitative (But opinions on liking linearity and exploration are different from person to person) Give this game a chance, who knows, you may like it! I kinda did. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2016
    Haven't completed it yet, and I think I'll never will. This is just a bad game.

I could excuse it for not being what a "Metroid game" should be (read as "exploration game where you obtain powers to get to places or beat enemies you couldn't before"), but it's not even a good game by its own. It's heavily biased to be a multiplayer game, yet I don't feel it's a game worth playing with
    Haven't completed it yet, and I think I'll never will. This is just a bad game.

It's heavily biased to be a multiplayer game, yet I don't feel it's a game worth playing with friends. Graphics are a joke, they could be way better and without that **** "chibi" artstyle. Also, there's some weird thing with proportions between characters and environments, I don't know if it's an optical illusion, a trick, it's done on purpose or it's simply bad graphics, but characters seem to change size from one cutscene to other, to gameplay, it's really weird.

Controls are bad if you have a O3DS (like me), there's better ways to do a first person shooter on 3DS than relying on motion control. Best and most precise for me was Kid Icarus, but it was hard to grow accustomed to.

Single player is quite bland and uninspired, and the last boss is a great f*** you from the developers to the fans who were waiting a Metroid game with Samus since Other M.

Play the free football thing instead of this (Blast Ball).

I give it a final score of 5 because even with all its flaws it can still entertain someone, but if you have any doubts about buying this or not, just don't do it. Even less if you're expecting a Metroid game
  6. Aug 24, 2016
    This game is decent, not great or terrible, just standard. When comparing this game to others in the series it's easy to see why this is the worst. No exploration, most iconic upgrades are missing, and the art style takes away from the grim atmosphere that the Metroid series is known for. The lack of actual characters or an interesting story doesn't helps its case either. The only thingsThis game is decent, not great or terrible, just standard. When comparing this game to others in the series it's easy to see why this is the worst. No exploration, most iconic upgrades are missing, and the art style takes away from the grim atmosphere that the Metroid series is known for. The lack of actual characters or an interesting story doesn't helps its case either. The only things making this game a metroid game are the space pirates/metroids, the secret ending, and the occasional appearance of samus. The gameplay is fun with friends but can become a tedious chore alone, which is why its always advertised as a co-op game, even though all of the game's predecessors were single player. The controls are tolerable but nothing compared the the fluid controls of the original prime trilogy. All in All, this game is a not the best co-op shooter by far or the best metroid game by far. I would only recommend it for people who have friends with 3DS's and even then I would advise them to wait for a price drop because 40 dollars per person is not worth it. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2016
    This is how to celebrate Metroid's 30th anniversary and what did I get: a blatant shooting that doesn't even quite bear the Metroid Prime name. Nintendo promised me a 4th Metroid Prime game, but nope. Star Fox Zero sucked and it's Federation Force. Unlike Other M, it was a big slap in the face to what the series is know for. A dull multiplayer campaign and poor story aside, maybe I wouldThis is how to celebrate Metroid's 30th anniversary and what did I get: a blatant shooting that doesn't even quite bear the Metroid Prime name. Nintendo promised me a 4th Metroid Prime game, but nope. Star Fox Zero sucked and it's Federation Force. Unlike Other M, it was a big slap in the face to what the series is know for. A dull multiplayer campaign and poor story aside, maybe I would talk to Nintendo and say "Reboot the franchise." In short, Tomb Raider just brought Lara Croft back to its roots and finally nails a perfect origins tale from start to finish. Why not Nintendo try something special and make a new and better Metroid game once the NX drops as a surprise pop and a launch title. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2016
    A bland single player experience graced with a fun but bland multiplayer experience, metroid prime federation force is just another soulless sci fi shooter and does nothing else to impress newcomers or fans of the series

56%

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 9, 2016
    Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a clear sign of Nintendo either not understanding or just not caring about what kind of games their player base wants. It’s a shame really, since Federation Force controls pretty well. It just has the burden of being a multiplayer shooter in a series no one wants to be about multiplayer shooters and on a platform no one wants to use for multiplayer games outside of Japan. [Nov 2016]
  2. Games Master UK
    Nov 9, 2016
    No classic, but no mess either. [Nov 2016, p.76]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 21, 2016
    Mission objectives are rarely limited to simple elimination of opposition: from the very beginning game presents tasks like luring animals into cages or infiltrating enemy base. Not to mention that there are tons of levers or buttons to be pushed and secret passages to be found, which brings back fond memories of FPS from the 90-s, as well as classic Metroid games. [Issue#213, p.56]