Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS

8.0

1. Jun 11, 2014
    Ive gotten used to monster hunters quite awful controls but this game just brings it to a whole new level, as soon as you jump into the water the game controls like I was drunk and my character was as well. And yes i know using the circle pad pro makes it better but i shouldn't have to buy a secondary accessory to make make the game playable, if the next one is going to play this bad thenIve gotten used to monster hunters quite awful controls but this game just brings it to a whole new level, as soon as you jump into the water the game controls like I was drunk and my character was as well. And yes i know using the circle pad pro makes it better but i shouldn't have to buy a secondary accessory to make make the game playable, if the next one is going to play this bad then capcom can be sure they wont be having a repeat customer. As why should I be? The vita has far superior games that fulfill the same itch, so tah-tah monster hunter Ill be waiting for you on the vita. Expand
  2. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't waste your time, especially if you've never played a Monster Hunter game before. This game explains nothing well, and you will most likely be frustrated early and often. I've heard so many wonderful things about this game and in 10 hours of time spent with it I experienced none. Buy Fire Emblem instead, and thank me later.
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is frustrating as hell and everything in the game is explained very poorly. Expect to spend countless hours collecting rare items like bugs and plants just to use as bait to kill something else. The character dialog in the game is practically unreadable for some unknown reason (very dodgy font was used). The controls are very clunky and annoying as hell and you need a circle padThis game is frustrating as hell and everything in the game is explained very poorly. Expect to spend countless hours collecting rare items like bugs and plants just to use as bait to kill something else. The character dialog in the game is practically unreadable for some unknown reason (very dodgy font was used). The controls are very clunky and annoying as hell and you need a circle pad pro to play the game properly. Some quests involve many hours of looking through the same area over and over again in order to find an item that is required which is not fun at all.

Be warned this game is NOT for newcomers or people who don't like to run in and out of the same area a million times just to find a bug and when you do find it there's still only about 10% chance it will drop.

The graphics are also very blurry and low res unless you use the 3D effect which hurts my eyes after 5 minutes.

One last thing why is there no online multiplayer, a game like this is clearly designed as an online experience. If no one else that you know has the game I would strongly recommend not buying this.
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    No online multiplayer. Underwhelming graphics. The need of a circle pad pro for a good experience. Not enough new content to justify the full price. We get the 3 ultimate when japan has 4. Super lazy devs. A pretty bad port and lack of online capabilities in 2013. Starts off slow and doesn't pick up. Has less content than portable 3rd.
  5. Apr 21, 2013
    My advice for this is to play the demo before buying it. Then play the demo again. Then again... then again. Because that's basically what the game is. Go out and kill a monster. Repeat. Ok, so that's the title of the game. It wouldn't be so bad if the monster hunting was fun. It is at first. But the controls are just too unresponsive even with the circle pad. I ended up goingMy advice for this is to play the demo before buying it. Then play the demo again. Then again... then again. Because that's basically what the game is. Go out and kill a monster. Repeat. Ok, so that's the title of the game. It wouldn't be so bad if the monster hunting was fun. It is at first. But the controls are just too unresponsive even with the circle pad. I ended up going for sword and shield. I swing my sword but notice the monster is about to charge. I can block right? Well, not if the previous animation is still going. Need to roll out of danger? Not if the previous animation is still going. I can't understand why a game that requires you to watch for tells in a monsters attacks forces you to complete whatever action you started before allowing another. Try this with the bigger weapons that have longer animation frames for some real frustration. The underwater parts are more frustrating and lets just add a time limit on top so after nearly an hour of 4 players fighting a creature that keeps running off every 2 minutes and hiding randomly in one of the tiny linked arenas, and you lose anyway. Bought it, sold it. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2013
    I found this game pretty boring. My friends and I got it the day of release and played it immediately. It started off okay, we all decided to play some single player missions for a bit, then head to multiplayer. After an hour of collecting items and very little monster hunting, I found this game to be a little boring. I asked my friends if it gets better later, and they said yeah, so II found this game pretty boring. My friends and I got it the day of release and played it immediately. It started off okay, we all decided to play some single player missions for a bit, then head to multiplayer. After an hour of collecting items and very little monster hunting, I found this game to be a little boring. I asked my friends if it gets better later, and they said yeah, so I went on. So far I'm 20 hours in and I just can't take it anymore, the combat is rigid and slow and I'm pretty sure 18 of those hours are spent just farming items. The only good thing I found about this game was the arena. Here you are given equipment to take down a boss creature, now I found that fun, especially with friends, but that's just a small part of the game. I'm reading all these reviews saying how people bought a 3DS or a WiiU for this game, and I just don't get it. This is my own opinion though. Maybe it's the MMO-ish elements here, but I just don't care about doing the same mission 3 times just so I can get one item to make a weapon I want, that's where I had enough of the game and quit. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    Remake without online, that encourages you to buy a circle pad to properly play, with dated graphics... if you have a psp, you can play it for free, don't waste your money.
  8. May 18, 2014
    Blech. So much potential but it falls flat on its face. Annoying controls (I really don't want to have to buy an accessory just to make the controls semi-tolerable), slow and clunky (would expect an action game to be fast-paced), excruciatingly repetitive, frustrating (monsters run away and hide, gotta find them, oops out of time, try again!), graphics aren't sharp on 3DS, takes to long toBlech. So much potential but it falls flat on its face. Annoying controls (I really don't want to have to buy an accessory just to make the controls semi-tolerable), slow and clunky (would expect an action game to be fast-paced), excruciatingly repetitive, frustrating (monsters run away and hide, gotta find them, oops out of time, try again!), graphics aren't sharp on 3DS, takes to long to accomplish anything worthwhile, etc etc. If you're really into hardcore games then try Dark Souls or something. At least that game has depth. MH3U is shallow. Expand
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    It truly is a great game, but for a game that is based around an online multiplayer, the fact that it lacks such a thing, even though the hardware is there to make it possible, just shows how this is not a port worth buying. If you love single player only games, get it, if you;re looking for the online multiplayer the series is KNOWN FOR, then don't bother with this and just play the WiiU version.
  10. Sep 10, 2016
    Greatly overrated. Monster hunter is only good if you are a kid with tons of free time and have a close circle of friends to play multiplayer with. Otherwise, there is nothing of value here.

As a single player experience, this is a boring grind with no story. There is no real challenge, you don't need to be smart to win, just have a lot of time in your hands to grind and gather stuff.

The graphics are meh and the controls on the 3DS are total garbage without the add on.

All in all, totally overrated. Get this if you are a japanese fanboy and don't know any better about good western games, otherwise, skip it.

1. May 9, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the largest Monster Hunter games to have been released and perhaps one of the largest 3DS games.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    It is a shame that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS is let down so badly by the lack of online capability. However, if you have friends with the title or have prior experience with the series and can deal with the challenge of fighting alone, then 3 Ultimate is worth picking up. Just make sure you play with the Circle Pad Pro.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is another very good reason to own a 3DS. It's the same huge game you can play on Wii U, and local coop is a blast. Online support is laughable, but the game is still a wonder. Having to choose, though, the Wii U version is superior.