New Super Mario Bros. 2 3DS

7.2

1. Jun 26, 2016
    New super Mario bros 2 is as an entire package a good game. Positives: good controls , good levels, nice amount of power-ups, fun, coin rush, music and overall presentation. Though they are quite a few good things there is also bad stuff in the game. Negatives: Nothing that new in "new" super Mario bros 2, plenty of reused music, only one new power-up, looks uninspired, only 6 worlds andNew super Mario bros 2 is as an entire package a good game. Positives: good controls , good levels, nice amount of power-ups, fun, coin rush, music and overall presentation. Though they are quite a few good things there is also bad stuff in the game. Negatives: Nothing that new in "new" super Mario bros 2, plenty of reused music, only one new power-up, looks uninspired, only 6 worlds and on the easy side. Overall: Though the game has only 6 worlds it does have a special world and two unlockable worlds. The game is super fun to play and if you don't own this game than it's worth a try. Expand
  2. Jun 7, 2016
    Of course New Super Mario Bros. 2 is left with many gold tricks and abilities as of that's pretty much the only thing unique about this game, but the gameplay begins to pack a fresh pack of blocks from Nintendo.
  3. Mar 30, 2016
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is good, but I would only recommend it to diehard Mario fans (though it might honestly be more of a disappointment to them). The game's central point, using various methods to collect a ton of coins, might shiny and attractive on the outside, but in actuality doesn't really add anything to the gameplay. It more or less just means you'll have way more lives than inNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is good, but I would only recommend it to diehard Mario fans (though it might honestly be more of a disappointment to them). The game's central point, using various methods to collect a ton of coins, might shiny and attractive on the outside, but in actuality doesn't really add anything to the gameplay. It more or less just means you'll have way more lives than in other Mario games. Since what could have been turned into cool new powerups was instead wasted on this gimmick, it's more or less just the fire flower and the tanooki leaf, which seems pretty lame considering all the awesome powerups we've seen in other recent Mario games. In conclusion, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good platformer at heart, but ultimately fails to bring anything new to the table, and feels like a watered-down version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2016
    This is one of the best 3DS games of all time. I mean it. The levels are short but well designed. The power-ups are brilliant. This is one of the best Mario games for a portable device. 10/10 :D. This game is beautiful on the level design.
  5. Mar 1, 2016
    This game is, put simply, the weakest entry in the Super Mario Bros series. The new 'gimmick' with this game is collecting large amounts of coins, which causes the inherent issue of gaining hundreds of lives very quickly, meaning that a game over is virtually impossible to get, especially considering that the levels are actually pretty easy compared to the other NSMB games. The gameThis game is, put simply, the weakest entry in the Super Mario Bros series. The new 'gimmick' with this game is collecting large amounts of coins, which causes the inherent issue of gaining hundreds of lives very quickly, meaning that a game over is virtually impossible to get, especially considering that the levels are actually pretty easy compared to the other NSMB games. The game originally challenges you to collect 1 million coins, but this is unlikely to be achieved during story mode, and as a result you will more than likely have to purchase paid DLC in order to do this. This supports the idea that this game was rushed in order to get more sales; ironic since this is what Mario will be doing in the game as well.
    The single player campaign is not massively long or difficult, and the game lacks replayability, and has no multiplayer modes like the minigames or Mario vs Luigi on NSMB DS.
    It isn't broken or unplayable in any way. It's just very lacking and not at all memorable, and I expect a lot better from a major Mario game.
  6. Dec 13, 2015
    I have the New Super Mario Bros 2 Bundle 3DS and I have to say, this game is not really that diffrent from NSMB U and does not bring that much innovation, one thing they did was to center the game around coin-collecting, thus making more coins appear in levels, but the game still goes by the premise of 100 coins=1 up so it is almost impossible to get a game over in this game, the gameI have the New Super Mario Bros 2 Bundle 3DS and I have to say, this game is not really that diffrent from NSMB U and does not bring that much innovation, one thing they did was to center the game around coin-collecting, thus making more coins appear in levels, but the game still goes by the premise of 100 coins=1 up so it is almost impossible to get a game over in this game, the game challenges you to collect 1 Million coins (which is hard) but if you do, there is not really much of a prize. The game brought back the tanooki leaf from SMB 3 and you can use it to attack enemies, float and fly for a short amount of time.They also added a coin block that makes it that whenever you run or move, you will gain coins for a short amount of time. hey also added a coin flower that's fireballs can make blocks into gold. The games levels are pretty creative but nothing too creative. The game can be pretty easy because whenever you lose 5 1 ups in a level, you are given a golden Tanooki leaf that is invincible and the only way you can die is by falling into a pit. The game has bonus downloadable course packs that brings lots of replay value. The game's streetpass feature consists of trying top collect as much coins as you can at a world pack and trying to beat the person the you streetpassed with's record. Its a novelty but nothing too addicting. Overall, the game has the same 2D Mario Charm, it still has the solid gameplay mechanics we all know and love but brings little innovation to the table. If you have played a lot of the "new" super mario bros games, you will most likely be underwhelmed but, it is still a solid game no less Expand
  7. Nov 1, 2015
    This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard-This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard- nothing too exceptional about it. The multiplayer is fun to play with other people, and my wife and I beat it all the way through together. It does take some getting used to because you have two people on the screen and you have to watch out for each other, and the camera only follows one of you at a time, so one of you is just kinda there for support. I'm incredibly grateful that they included local multiplayer as a feature at all though because it was fun actually being able to play a videogame together that my wife enjoys. Overall, a good buy but nothing to get super ecstatic about. Expand
  8. Oct 31, 2015
    Easily the worst in the series. You just play through levels, some aren't actually that bad, but a lot aren't up to Nintendo's usual standards and have coins spammed everywhere. It's a bit like Mario Maker, really...
  9. Sep 21, 2015
    More of the same, but still another fun 2D Mario platformer. The additional goal of collecting 1 million coins in total is a highlight that kept me playing.
  10. Sep 13, 2015
    While some deride this game as formulaic and far too easy, this game flips the old 2D Mario platformer formula on its head by focusing on the coins. The coins, having long remained on the sidelines of Mario's quest to save Peach, suddenly take center stage in this game, in which your ultimate goal is to collect one million coins.

Not only does this challenge appeal greatly to my inner

Not only does this challenge appeal greatly to my inner completionist, but this new coin-based focus is inherent in every level in the game. While there are more overt signs of Mario's newfound greed, such as the addition of a few inventive, coin-based powerups, there's more to it than just that. The very level design is fundamentally different from that of NSBM2's predecessor's, encouraging exploration and replay in a way in which previous Mario outings never have been able. For example, if Mario walks to a specific part of the level - for example, a spot underneath a bridge he might have normally overlooked - a series of coins might reveal themselves nearby, a mechanic unique to this game. In addition, hidden blocks have invaded the Mushroom Kingdom, with most levels sporting what I imagine to be at least 3-4 blocks that don't reveal themselves until you hit them. The level designers over at Nintendo leave nothing to chance; every hidden secret is marked by a clue in the level. For example, if you see a section of the level that seems to serve no purpose, try jumping over there, because it may reveal some hidden coins. Is there a series of three standard blocks floating in midair, with nothing but space above them? Try jumping while atop the middle one; you may well find one of the many hidden blocks. It's touches like these, alongside the multitudes of secret areas - all of which rewarding you with shiny, gold coins - that make the levels in NSMB2 a joy to play many times over.

Are the environments and the music borrowing too heavily from Mario's previous handheld outing? Yes. But ultimately, the Mario games have never been about the graphics or music for me. For me, Mario has always been the joy of discovering all the clever little secrets in every well-designed level and guiding that happy little plumber through a giant turtle's medieval attempts at home security to save his off-again, on-again princess girlfriend. In that respect, NSMB2 is a complete success, and with unparalleled replay value and a relatively low price, I can't recommend this game highly enough to lovers of platformers.
  11. Aug 26, 2015
    A fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy andA fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy and classically Mario, the game play is awesome, and the coins… Oh the coins! There are so many coins to collect! Billions of coins! Literally! This game is so fun! Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2015
    This game may have more features to it than the first game but its linear and silly story as well as the worlds are nothing but a re-hash of the first game.
    Just.. How many more times is Princess Peach gonna keep getting kidnapped for NO reason?
  13. Aug 11, 2015
    So, what do I have to say about this game? One word: Masterful.
  14. Aug 5, 2015
    I thought it was really fun! It was entertaining and a little challenging. And I couldn't find a single glitch, someone said it was glitchy but it isn't.
  15. Jul 23, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a really fun and vibrant platformer for the 3DS. The game is filled with nostalgia and charm that we've grown to expect from Nintendo in recent years. NSMB2 is not the best installment in the NSMB series, but it scratches the itch for those who have a constant urge for more Mario. With the exception of the coin grabbing elements that are unique to this titleNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is a really fun and vibrant platformer for the 3DS. The game is filled with nostalgia and charm that we've grown to expect from Nintendo in recent years. NSMB2 is not the best installment in the NSMB series, but it scratches the itch for those who have a constant urge for more Mario. With the exception of the coin grabbing elements that are unique to this title (and don't add too much to gameplay or concept), NSMB2 feels like a direct port from NSMBWii. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a handheld Mario game. If there was something else to make NSMB2 stand out I'd give it a 10, but since it's reliving previous successes (although very fun), I'd say this game is a solid 9. Expand
  16. Jul 12, 2015
    First off, let me start by saying that I LOVE Mario. I've played every 2D Mario game that has been released (including spin-offs like the Yoshi and Princess games). All that said, this might be my least favorite of every Mario game I've ever played. Is it fun? Sure. It's always fun looking for secret stuff and killing goombas. But it does everything else wrong.

Collecting coins is

Collecting coins is usually fun, but when you're bombarded with them at every corner (I had levels where I had up to 600 coins on one run), it kind of saps the fun out of it. It's not fun if you're going to give it to me with no challenge; which brings me to the difficulty. This was EASILY the easiest Mario game I've ever played. I blasted through it in less than 6 hours, and finished with 184 lives. I may have had 2 or 3 levels that slowed me down, but none of the rest of it was cake.

It gets a 6 because it's always fun being Mario, even if it was super easy. The graphics were nice and the sound was good. There's just no challenge behind it.
  17. Jul 5, 2015
    More of the same thing on another handheld. Well, if it aint broke - don't fix it, right? Well, in this case, I'd say doing absolutely nothing but adding a ton of coins into levels isn't really making it another game worth playing. I mean, yeah the level design is pretty good, and the levels are all nice looking (NOT in 3D), but the 3D effect blurs the beautiful backgrounds and the sameMore of the same thing on another handheld. Well, if it aint broke - don't fix it, right? Well, in this case, I'd say doing absolutely nothing but adding a ton of coins into levels isn't really making it another game worth playing. I mean, yeah the level design is pretty good, and the levels are all nice looking (NOT in 3D), but the 3D effect blurs the beautiful backgrounds and the same rehashed music is there. Since I'm not a big fan of rehashed music that takes up at least 50% of the soundtrack, I was particularly disappointed with this title. On the other hand, I applaud nintendo for giving DLC a try and not killing us with the deals. Also, it's just pure platforming, so you have to buy this if you're REALLY into that genre. If not, then consider it!
    Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 3.5/10
    Music: 5/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 5/10
    Overall: 7/10
  18. Jun 28, 2015
    Its a solid sequel that I feel is well deserved compared to the Wii U version. It gave me a way more lot of challenge that Super Mario 3D Land man. It also has a lot of replay value I did not expect at all. the coin collection also makes it worth picking up again and that's cool because its not following the typical Mario formula
  19. May 19, 2015
    Super Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds anSuper Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds an emphasis on collecting coins, the box itself asking if you can make it to 1 million. As the coins were always quite unnecessary, but still compelling to collect, this adds an interesting mechanic, which many new powerups pouring coins out of enemies or even out of Mario's head. The only complaint I would make, which to be fair is the same complaint you could make about any Mario game of the last 10 years, and indeed many Nintendo franchises including Donkey Kong Country Returns, is that you have WAY too many lives. I am on World 3, and have almost 200 lives thanks in part to gaining a life every 100 coins as usual, and with anywhere from 500 to 1000 coins in each level you soon build up a vast backlog of extras. This doesn't detract from the sheer joy of the game, but it does remove a lot of the challenge that has existed since the very first games in the series. Graphically this is a nice upgrade from the previous DS title, and the 3D as always adds a nice depth to the levels. The music is largely taken from the first game too, with the enemies dancing to emphasised points in the tunes, which I always enjoyed. Well worth a purchase, this is a lot of fun and deserves to be in any fan's collection. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2015
    I enjoyed this game very much, I just found it to be too easy. After playing some of the other Mario games and seeing how difficult they are, I'm actually a little disappointed with this game's difficulty. Other than that though, it's more or less perfect in every other aspect, but it is obviously a very easy game. If you're a beginner to the genre I recommend, but if you're a pro maybe goI enjoyed this game very much, I just found it to be too easy. After playing some of the other Mario games and seeing how difficult they are, I'm actually a little disappointed with this game's difficulty. Other than that though, it's more or less perfect in every other aspect, but it is obviously a very easy game. If you're a beginner to the genre I recommend, but if you're a pro maybe go for one of the older games. Expand
  21. Mar 21, 2015
    Just as amazing as the first one!

PROS
    -Graphics
    -Secrets to explore
    -Challenging gameplay

CONS
    -Story is a little dry .
  22. Mar 20, 2015
    It's a good game for the time. Such a gold rush. Collecting 1 million coins is just insane. New power-ups would've helped but maybe not much. The 3D effects are shallow until you get to the Dry Bowser level. It makes me wish that we're just as rich as Mario and Luigi. I highly recommend getting this game if you haven't played the first one.
  23. Mar 12, 2015
    This is a great NSMB game. My 3rd favourite one. The graphics are great for 3DS. The levels have good designs. The Koopaling fights are awesome. The controls work very well. New Super Mario Bros 2 is awesome and you should definitely get the game.
  24. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good game Nintendo has made; it is one of my favourites of all time. The controls are great, the graphics are great overall and for 3DS,The story and Characters are great, the bosses are awesome. This is more like a Super Mario Wourld because of Reznor and the Koopalings. My favourite Koopaling is Roy or Bully Koopa, even though he is pink, he acts like me. Buy this game and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U if you haven't already. Seriously, this game is insanely fun. Expand
  25. Feb 1, 2015
    Graphically this is a very improved version of the original, though it feels a copy from the Wii version. If you asked me whether I'd be happy to play any decent Wii game in a handheld or not my response would be instant; yes. So we have New Super Mario Bros 2. Comparing with the original DS release the improvement is absurd, especially graphically. Gameplay-wise it's all the same withGraphically this is a very improved version of the original, though it feels a copy from the Wii version. If you asked me whether I'd be happy to play any decent Wii game in a handheld or not my response would be instant; yes. So we have New Super Mario Bros 2. Comparing with the original DS release the improvement is absurd, especially graphically. Gameplay-wise it's all the same with Mario moving around in that loosy style opposed to the tight controls of Super Mario World and the NES titles.

I'll advocate this until the end of time, Mario must have tight controls, the wall slamming should be well executed to work. Learning curve on some advance techniques should be extended, Another derivative game like this from Mario I won't be able to endure. The bonus mini-games are fun, for like 10 minutes, That's all.
  26. Jan 12, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (or as I like to call it New Super Mario Bros. Wii 1.5) is the third installment in the New Mario series but it's not all new. In fact, it's the most unoriginal installment.

NSMB2 rips all of its music straight from its console predecessor. There's not a single new track in the game. That is, unless you're counting some extra vocals in the music. The world map and overall feel of the game is also the exact same as the Wii iteration. That's not to say it's a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more originality. This is the biggest problem with the game: it's not enough new, it's too much old...so its title basically makes no sense whatsoever.

As with all Mario games, the level design is great and it never actually gets boring. The difficulty is also more balanced in this game than the others. The first New Super Mario was too easy while the Wii version was a tad too hard. NSMB2 is just right, thanks to its new coin gimmick (more on that later). I never found myself getting tired of the levels and I was always eager to go to the next. I still don't like the idea of wasting your Star Coins on extra levels though. Super Mario 3D Land had handled that issue perfectly.

The Koopalings are back though Bowser Jr. has a strange absence. Their fights are strikingly similar to the Wii version but to change the mood up a bit, Reznor from Super Mario World has been added as the fortress boss. The Raccoon Leaf from Mario 3 also makes a comeback complete with the outfit and P-Meter. It's nice to see this beloved power-up make a return. I find it to be superior to the Tanooki Leaf, which is basically the same thing without a P-Meter.

The main feature in NSMB2 is the focus on coins. To quote Scott Moffitt at E3 2012, it's "all about the gold." This is strange as coins never really had much of a point in Mario games (unless you count the occasional earning a 1-up) but it did make the game somewhat easier. It always gave me a sense of satisfaction to collect a lot of coins at once though I never did reach a million.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like a bit of a rehash of the Wii iteration in the franchise but it has enough new things to keep me coming back. It's a great portable experience.
  27. Jan 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this game can be fun for new gamers, I just feel that this game is just too similar to the other New Super Mario Bros. games and doesn't really offer anything new.

Why the heck do we have so many coins? Why would we focus on coins at all? The only thing the coins really seem to do for you is collect lives, and by the time you reach the generic final boss you should have a ton of lives. Coins are nearly impossible to avoid, as they're everywhere.

Then we have the soundtrack. It's almost ripped straight out of New Super Mario Bros. Wii! I mean, why would we just reuse the same soundtrack, it doesn't really offer anything new. Some of the graphics are ripped from New Super Mario Bros. Wii as well but I guess that doesn't really matter...

And they remove all the fun stuff. Where's the penguin suit? The propeller cap? Those were fun to use and we don't have them anymore, now we have two coin based powerups instead that generally just make gameplay easier. We also have the invincible leaf now. Why?? It's practically a cheat device to get you all of the star coins!

The game is also shorter than the other NSMB games. Not only that, but they're much easier now due to the absurd number of coins and high amount of items. You only need to go through six worlds to get to the final boss, and it can be even shorter if you use cannons to skip nearly everything.
    Then we have the final boss. It's so unoriginal, it starts off as the classic 8-4 battle then we take a step backwards as Bowser grows giant and the chase scene thing begins once again! But instead of going to the right, you go upward as the screen autoscrolls, and you do literally nothing but dodge Bowser's attacks as you go from platform to platform. Talk about bad final bosses and laziness. We also have Dry Bowser that does the exact same thing in this game.

Okay, why did Nintendo make this game so easy, so unoriginal and so uninspired? Why is nearly everything from other games? It feels so bland that it's not fun at all. At best, the game can keep you entertained by looking for star coins but even then they're really easy to find, you just need to search a bit. Even if you die a lot, you'll be earning more lives than losing them, as again, the coins are really easy to get.

I'm sorry, but this game is horrendous. At least there's no glitches or anything that ruins the gameplay mechanics. I expected much more from a Mario game overall, I do not recommend this at all, please go and find a better Mario game to play.
  28. Dec 29, 2014
    I can't believe people give COD a 10, but give this an average score. The game is just a Mario side scroller, and you can't beat that. This game proves you don't need guns and men screaming "FIRE FIRE BREAKER NINER ALPHA CHARLIE REMOVE KEBAB" but a nice sidescroller is good once in a while.
  29. Dec 10, 2014
    It was too hard and I quit after a few days of playing it. The DS version was simplistic but fun compared to this. Plus, if you're thinking of getting it and already have 3D Land, you're just playing Super Mario 2D Land.
  30. Dec 9, 2014
    this game came with a special edition 3ds XL on sale. it's OK. the first several worlds have a pretty boring design, though it does get interesting later. the mushroom houses dont leave you a sense of reward like they did on the 3rd NES game. and just a lack of powerups in general. there's a complete lack of innovation on this game------lots of mario bros, nothing "new" about it.
  31. Nov 14, 2014
    i love Mario games but this game is one of my least favorite ones,

to start off with the good things in it, the game play is great the bringing back of the raccoon leaf is great, the worlds look nice and ten times better then the first game and nothing in the game is too hard but the best part of the game is that's its fun for the short time of playing it now for the bad the biggest
    i love Mario games but this game is one of my least favorite ones,

now for the bad the biggest issue with the game is content i cant name one other Mario game that has a lack of content i mean there are 6 main worlds and 3 special worlds that may seem like a lot but each world only as 6-10 levels which brings me to the next issue that it took me less then four hours to beat the game and that includes the 3 special worlds now i did enjoy every part of the game but when it came to an end i felt ripped off 30 bucks for 4 hours of content?i can think of indie games that are not even half that price but offer ten times more hours of content next the power ups feel the same and really there in not one new one the golden flower is new but the issue with it is that its only in 3 to 5 levels and you lose it after completing the level meaning that you only get maybe 10 minutes of using it (it is fun but needs to be used more)

but having this being my most played game on my 2ds (with 20 hours clocked in) i would only tell die-hard Mario fans to get this game the game is fun but the only way to really get out all the content is re-playing it for all the stars/secrets and if that's not what you enjoy doing i would say get NSMB from 2006 on your ds/3ds/2ds or go and get one of the older Mario games on the virtual console
  32. Nov 11, 2014
    This game was so easy until the last level in which I just became so annoyed. The part where you have to climb whilst Bowser's destroying the platforms is such a struggle. But still a great game with updated graphics.
  33. Oct 7, 2014
    Fun and exciting, but I got bored of it pretty quickly. The people who made this were really lazy too. If you really like Mario, I recommend you get this. Fun, but for me it got boring soon.
  34. Sep 27, 2014
    Worst Mario platformer in the series. Don't waste more than $10 on this game. Everything about this game is a rehash. While the level design isn't bad, I found myself bored after a couple of levels because of all the reused assets. Also, the music sucks.
  35. Jul 27, 2014
    Probably my favorite in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. The platforming is solid and tight, and the emphasis on coin collecting with the million-coin challenge adds quite a bit of replay value. I love the graphics and music, and the Gold Flower is among the very best (if not OP) power-ups in the entire series. One of the best titles for 3DS!
  36. Jul 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains a very minor spoiler at the end so be warned. This game is okay but it is kind of a disappointment in some ways. The art style and graphics kinda suck. I know it is supposed to look simplistic and old school because its Mario, but it still looks bad to me. My main complaint would be that many levels have a horrible ugly blur filter over most of the background for no apparent reason. Maybe Mario is supposed to be near sighted or something. Another thing is that almost all the haunted house levels are just some stupid level gimmick like a giant boo that scrolls the level for you and stuff that just isn't fun. Thirdly the boss was lame and annoying. Oh wow its giant Bowser swatting at your platforms from the background! I kinda suck at Mario so I died twice to the final sequence and each time you attempt it again you have to watch Bowser get turned giant by the koopalings in a sequence that cant be skipped. Its only like 20 secondsish but it still bothers me that it can't be skipped because there is literally no good reason for that. If you want to play a platformer for 3DS just get Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D its way better in every way. Expand
  37. Jun 30, 2014
    Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8Not really a BAD game, but it could be better. I think I'm just comparing it to the perfection of Super Mario 3D Land, so I had high expectations (I know that's a weird comparison, but c'mon, they're both Mario platformer games) The secrets are really cryptic, its too easy, and the graphics aren't that nice either. I also HATE how there is only 6 worlds instead of 8, even 3D Land had 8 worlds, and even 16 special worlds. Despite all of that, this game is still better than ok. Expand
  38. Jun 18, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros 2 sticks to the guns in true saga-type fashion, popular with eastern audiences. Improvements over the original include brandishing the highly successful power-ups and bosses established in 1988 in Super Mario Bros 3, such as the raccoon suit and Koopalings- and fairly less obscurity and trial-and-error than its forerunner.
  39. Jun 17, 2014
    Super Mario Bros 2 is a competent platform game for the 3ds. While it's not a bad game it never really captures the imagination or compels you to play it for hours on end. Overall, it's just too similar to previous games and in many respects not as good as Mario 3D or for that matter Donkey Kong Country.
    Hard to recommend to anyone other than fans that simply must play every Mario game.
  40. Jun 13, 2014
    this game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to getthis game gets more hate than it deserves, even when its similar to new super Mario bros on the Nintendo ds, it does adds a new layer of fun with the coin collecting mechanic, now you have to get 1 million, this coin collecting thing adds replay value as well as a new way to approach platforming, the level design its really superb, fun, addictive challenging, star coins are harder to get in this game, even harder than in super Mario 3d land, graphical wise some models are reminiscent of new super mario bros on the nintendo ds, but sometimes it makes up with some details, and also the coins and the golden mario power up looks very nice, major fail is the fact that the 3d effect doesnt work at all, it even makes it worst since the backgrounds do blur when the effect is on, the second best plataform adventure on the nintendo 3ds, must have if you like mario and plataform games Expand
  41. Jun 1, 2014
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step"New Super Mario Bros. 2" was my first 3DS game! This is yet another fun Mario game. The worlds are diverse and fun to play through, and there are many secrets to find. The story is the usual bland "Princess gets kidnapped" Mario scenario, but it's made up for in the gameplay. The graphics are colourful and nice. The enemies can be annoying in they're attack routines, but are fun to step on never the less. The music is catchy. Finally, the level design is smart, and is a good balance of hard, and easy. The ghost houses can be quite cryptic though. The boss battles can be fun, but they're painfully easy. The final boss, Bowser, may be extremely similar to other final boss fights (generally with the man himself, Bowser) in previous Mario games, but Bowser's battle is still very good. This game would have gotten a nine from me, had it not been for the white tanooki suit. This suit basically shows up if you keep dying in a level. It makes you invincible, you can fly, and it looks stylish...at least for a tanooki suit. The big issue I have with it, is that it takes all the difficulty out of a hard level. This makes the game generally easy to beat if you keep dying. In the end, it's still a great game, and sucked me in from the start. Expand
  42. May 24, 2014
    Wow now this is underrated I had great expectations for this and loved it. It's like super Mario bros 3 but with more coins I was sad that it wasn't very high but what do you get I give this a nice ten
  43. May 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The sequel of New Super Mario Bros. on the DS doesn't look as great as the first two games in the series. They just reused many things from its predecessors, like music, enemies, overworld map, and many more. That's just lazy and uninspired, Nintendo. Also the coin gimmick just felt pointless for me.

This game had some good points (It's not completely bad), like precise controls, great level designs, fine graphics, and catchy remixes. Hey, I didn't say the music is bad. I mean, it's good, but it's getting repetitive.

Overall, this game is actually fun to play. I highly recommend it.
  44. Apr 20, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a pretty average Mario game. Though i found the main gage small it has some replay value such as collecting 1.000.000 coins and getting Star Coins to unlock a new world, however this is kind of boring and repetitive. It doesn't introduces much to the series on my opinion.
  45. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is pretty easy compared to other New Super Mario games, and plays it pretty safe by not innovating on much, but coin rush is addicting. despite the low difficulty of the main story, its still fun. I'm a sucker for platformers and mario games in general, so I really enjoyed it.
  46. Mar 7, 2014
    Great co-op game with decent graphics. This is by far the first game I played with my girlfriend and both of us enjoyed it. The difficulty is definitely not easy, especially if you are playing co-op, as players would affect each other's movement as well as only one player is "controlling" the screen. And that is why I like this game. This is a great game to play with your beloved ones.
  47. Feb 16, 2014
    Solid enough but this is a lazy lazy game as far as trying to push the series up. This game is a cash in by Nintendo. It's more of the same. If that's what you want go for it. But I found this disappointing
  48. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just plain boring. I have no idea what I was thinking back in February 2013 when I gave this an 8. Literally EVERYTHING in this game except for the World Mushroom, Flower & Star music is recycled from New Super Mario Bros Wii.

What the hell were they thinking? That if they did the same final battle again except with Bowser chasing you vertically instead of horizontally, that people would love it? Nintendo, a company that's known for bringing us a lot of fresh, original games, could not have sunk lower than this.

I guess you could buy this if you haven't played NSMBW, but even then I'm pretty sure you'd be better off playing NSMBW, because that's a better game with more new things than this game.

Only reason I'm not giving this a 0 is because the game works fine, I guess? No glitchy gameplay or anything, so that's a plus.
  49. Jan 4, 2014
    When you see a sequel to New Super Mario Bros, you probably imagined it being better than the first one. It's not. The gameplay is nearly the same, although the addition of the Gold Flower, which allows you to turn regular blocks into coins, is actually pretty cool. However, the concept of limited lives goes out the window. Every 100 coins is another life, as usual, but with all the coinsWhen you see a sequel to New Super Mario Bros, you probably imagined it being better than the first one. It's not. The gameplay is nearly the same, although the addition of the Gold Flower, which allows you to turn regular blocks into coins, is actually pretty cool. However, the concept of limited lives goes out the window. Every 100 coins is another life, as usual, but with all the coins literally everywhere, you will have over 100 lives in no time. The difficulty is almost non-existent for any seasoned Mario player. I can see it being a small challenge for younger audiences, but even then, you get the Invincibility Leaf, which gives you the ability to basically skip a level. It's a fun game nonetheless, and I did enjoy the hours I spent beating the game. But this game isn't catered towards Mario fans. Expand
  50. Nov 26, 2013
    While it's more or less the same as its DS predecessor, it is pretty fun to focus the gameplay on collecting coins. I had fun with that at least. Although I'd understand it being too similar for some, it kind of is.
  51. Nov 11, 2013
    This is the main reason that I bought a 3DS LL console cause I want to play this game since I had played the New Super 1 on NDSL, it's good that this series is more easier to play the cons is that this game do Not make strongly 3D visual effect.
  52. Oct 20, 2013
    While the coins add a new element to game play, it's not that different from New Super Mario Bros. Its alright on its own but it is disappointing to wait 6 years to play a game that could have just been dlc.
  53. Oct 11, 2013
    New super mario bros 2 is an okay game, but it's not as good as the original new super mario bros. but it's still fun, but this time, it's a little different, bowser did not kidnap princess peach this time, the koopalaings did. and it's up to mario or luigi to travel through 8 worlds to save her. one problem I have with this game is that these are the exact same worlds from the originalNew super mario bros 2 is an okay game, but it's not as good as the original new super mario bros. but it's still fun, but this time, it's a little different, bowser did not kidnap princess peach this time, the koopalaings did. and it's up to mario or luigi to travel through 8 worlds to save her. one problem I have with this game is that these are the exact same worlds from the original new super mario bros there's no difference at all, there's the mushroom kingdom, the egyption world, the tropical/jungle world, the ice world, the mountain world and the final world. Why can't they just be original and bring different worlds, this is a SEQUEL not a REMAKE. another thing is that this game has a coin collecting theme that comes literally out of nowhere. there's this coin meter that counts how many coins you have collected and the game challenges you to collect one million coins. This does nothing and it does not add any replay value, I got a super mario game to go on an adventure through 8 worlds and defeat bowser at the end, not to search everywhere for hidden coins or power ups that help you get coins. there are some classic power ups like the fire-flower, or the or the tanoki suit, but this game has some new power ups, like the gold enemy power up which turns all of the enemies and most of the hazards into gold and you get coins for defeating them, or the coin block, with the coin block, the faster you run, the more coins you get, one hit and you lose the coin block. and then there's gold mario, with this power up, mario can shoot gold fireballs and turn everything the fireballs hit into coins. the graphics are okay, when the 3D is off, if you turn on the 3D the backgrounds get blurry, the higher you rise the 3d slider, the blurrier the backrounds get, this does make it look like the backgrounds are far away, but it makes the backgrounds look awful, this is the only 3DS game that I have ever played where I hate the 3D effect. the level design is great, and it does feel like some classic mario platforming, and, there's the tanoki suit power up, now it really feels like super mario bros 3 on the NES. there's also a 2 player co-up mode where you and another player can play through the entire game together, this is a very cool addition. another thing they added is a coin rush mode, this mode really is nothing special, you just go through the levels and collect as many coins as possible before the timer runs out. this mode can also be used for 2 players. New super mario bros 2 is not as good as new super mario bros, but it's still a great game to play to make time go faster like on a long car trip. Expand
  54. Oct 9, 2013
    This is one of the most disappointing sequels to video games. It had boss battles ripped from the Wii version, a disappointing, unrewarding coin hype, and the elimination of on-map enemies (where are the Hammer Bros.?). Other than that, the level design is overall flawless and some replay value for getting the Star Coins. However, it would only take three days to beat so do yourself aThis is one of the most disappointing sequels to video games. It had boss battles ripped from the Wii version, a disappointing, unrewarding coin hype, and the elimination of on-map enemies (where are the Hammer Bros.?). Other than that, the level design is overall flawless and some replay value for getting the Star Coins. However, it would only take three days to beat so do yourself a favor and borrow it from a friend. Expand
  55. Sep 22, 2013
    Jugabilidad(10): el control es facil de usar y el juego es super adictivo. Tecnologia(8.5): muy buenos graficos, muy buen espacio de juego. todo muy colorido. Graficos(10): los graficos son excelentes. Sonido(10): se escucha muy bien y las canciones no son para nada repetitivas, son muy buenas. yo las tarareo por que me encantan. Innovacion(9): es muy buena la idea de coleccionarJugabilidad(10): el control es facil de usar y el juego es super adictivo. Tecnologia(8.5): muy buenos graficos, muy buen espacio de juego. todo muy colorido. Graficos(10): los graficos son excelentes. Sonido(10): se escucha muy bien y las canciones no son para nada repetitivas, son muy buenas. yo las tarareo por que me encantan. Innovacion(9): es muy buena la idea de coleccionar monedas, te dan ganas de agarrarlas todas. tambien revive el traje tanooki que es muy divertido usarlo. Expand
  56. Sep 19, 2013
    This is a game that, although i enjoyed, is just another 2D Mario. Nothing stood out as really great to me. There was never really a challenge throughout the game. I got the feel that they just wanted to shovel out a new game, and took elements from the other NSMB games and threw them together. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
  57. Aug 26, 2013
    A very solid entry in to the New Super Mario Bros. Series it is probably my third favorite and what I really like about it is it focusses the most on the single player mode.
  58. Jul 23, 2013
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" may be awfully familiar to its past Mario games, but nevertheless, the game is still able to interest you with its new levels and new themes. With better animation than the previous game and its new format in 3D, "New Super Mario Bros. 2" will certainly be a wonderful addition to your 3DS games.
  59. Jul 18, 2013
    First, let me make something clear. This is not an entirely new Mario game. Yes, there is a coin gimmick, but other than that it’s virtually the same- 8 worlds, including, a plain world, a jungle world, a volcano world e.t.c.
    There are some ‘new’ power-ups. There’s the racoon suit, oh wait that’s not new, it’s from super Mario bros 3. This lets you fly and glide. Then there’s the gold flower, which is new, except it isn’t- it’s basically a fire flower than can also turn blocks into coins upon contact with the fire. And as usual, the good ol’ fire flower returns. Not Nintendo at its most creative, but the design of the levels is great, and that’s what keeps you wanting more, even though it is too easy. You can play through the whole game with two players, but player 2 will need another copy of the game.
    Then there’s the coin gimmick. Basically all the levels in New Super Mario Bros 2 are bursting with coins and different ways to get them. This is where Nintendo get creative, placing all sorts of new ways to collect coins, and that’s where that rare gold flower comes in useful too. Just like any other Mario game, Bowser kidnaps Peach, and saving her is the goal. As usual, on top of that is star coins- three in each level, you know the story by now, and also secret exits. But now there’s also the goal of collecting 1 million coins. This takes a long time, but levels are overloaded with coins, and the more skill you have, the faster you’ll reach the goal of 1 million coins. What’s the prize, I hear you ask. I can tell you: a new main menu screen. That’s it. Coin redemption can be found in coin rush mode, though, when you play three randomly selected courses in a row and try to collect as many coins as you can, and reach the goal in a 100-second time limit. One death and it’s game over. You can trade high scores via streetpass, but there are no online leaderboards, which is disappointing. However, coin rush is a simple, addictive experience and I’m surprised nobody’s thought of it before.
    In conclusion, this is the first Mario platformer ever that isn’t essential. I’d recommend it, but it stays too true to Mario’s roots.
  60. Jul 13, 2013
    Enjoyable music and gameplay as usual, but the 3d effect was pointless on this one so don't buy it for that. I was also pretty disappointed at the end boss of the secret world, it was the same fight as the normal world, exactly. I felt genuinely disappointed at that part.
  61. Jul 10, 2013
    I don`t play Mario game so often. Heck, the only other one I own is the First one for the Wii.

But it`s fun. I don`t get why the 3D makes the background blurry though, and also the music is quite similar to NSMB Wii, which I feel is kind of lazy. And although the game says to "collect coins, blah blah blah", you can`t really do anything with them. Nothing. But although I haven`t

Nothing.
    But although I haven`t tried it the multiplayer looks fun, maybe I`ll try it with my brother sometime.
    All in all; 7. It could of been better, but it`s good. Maybe wait till a price drop because 40$ seems a bit much for it.
  62. Jun 13, 2013
    This is just another Mario game like all the others. run around get coins stomp on bad guys and YOUR DONE!! this i only i kids game i don't recommend for adults this is a boring poor excuse for a Mario game thanks nintendo
  63. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gives you the chance to understand how to play I mean that -if you download the DLC course packs in the Coin Rush mode- you will face the toughest levels ever in the history of the Super Mario Series and you will be able to play 30 more levels and try to get the highest score amount of coins by playing it as many times you want to boost the coins bar. Also, you earn achievements if you reach the total of 1,000,000 and 9,999,999 coins collected, which is an other reason to make you want play the game -achievements-. What's more, you enjoy for first time 3D game graphics in real, which is so influential! However, a disadvantage is that there are no mini games, like in the first New Super Mario Bros. Expand
  64. May 12, 2013
    I enjoyed the first NSMB, so when I heard there was a sequel, I had to buy it. Turns out, people had complained about the first game's lack of coins... well, this is what you get. COINS! COINS! COINS! The game is all about coins, and while it sounds repetitive, it's actually a fun little game. There are lots of secret levels, bonus worlds, and even shout-outs to older games.
    I can't speak
    I can't speak for the 3D, since I don't use it. But the graphics look good even in 2D mode, and there are no areas that require you to turn on the 3D. Overall, it's a great game for anyone: you can just pick it up and play, or you can sit for hours trying to unlock all the secret levels. So go out and buy it you won't be disappointed!
  65. May 10, 2013
    If you were looking for a portable version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with less features, then this is it. Same exact music, w/ some added sounds. There are no Yoshi's, no blue/yellow toads, less items, no extra worlds when you beat the game, (Unless you count the star world, where it's kinda really hard getting all the star coins), and lastly, the Coin Rush mode is ok, not thatIf you were looking for a portable version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with less features, then this is it. Same exact music, w/ some added sounds. There are no Yoshi's, no blue/yellow toads, less items, no extra worlds when you beat the game, (Unless you count the star world, where it's kinda really hard getting all the star coins), and lastly, the Coin Rush mode is ok, not that exciting. And there's no reason at all, whatsoever to collect a million coins. You'll be disappointed. Expand
  66. May 10, 2013
    From the developers of the Original "New Super Mario Bro's" We have this sequel, which takes place on the more powerful Son of it's predecessor, The Nintendo 3DS, At first glance, not much has changed, the same as usual Mario gameplay, But this game has more depth, more re-playability and more Mario action, there is no reason to not own this title, This is another 3DS Must own.

If I

If I have but one issue; It's the Dull boss battles and somewhat short game, but since the first time I slotted this into my 3DS, it's been played for over 60 hours! More than I've played OOT3D and Super Mario 3D Land! This is a great game! Despite some of the Harsh reviews.
  67. May 6, 2013
    If you've played a 2D Mario before the NSMB series, you'vep layed a superior 2D Mario. What we have here is a cheaply made shameless cash grab with no soul.

They basically pulled art assets from a previous NSMB game, didn't bother to include more than 2-3 pieces of background music, and then built some of the most easy, boring, and uncreative levels you've ever experienced. For an

For an experienced gamer, this is a bad buy. Terrible, actually... but it does do a decent job of filling the roll of "baby's first Mario game" for a very young audience. The difficulty level is set very very low, it's very forgiving, coins are everywhere for practically infinate lives, infinite continues, and just in case that's not easy enough for you, if you fail a level enough times you get a special powerup that make you invincible.
  68. Apr 30, 2013
    I like the golden flower because if you miss the enemy and hit you a wall behind it, it will die automatically and you will get 5 coins instead of 1. The goal is to get a score of one million coins. I like fighting Bowser and the powerups are good.
  69. Apr 24, 2013
    The gameplay is easy enough to get into and coin rush is worth spending a couple of hours on, but this game suffers from a syndrome many games today suffer, way too easy. If you fail five times on the same level you get a support block with a golden tanooki suit which makes you invincible. I am someone who is bad at platformers, I never used a assist block but still managed to make itThe gameplay is easy enough to get into and coin rush is worth spending a couple of hours on, but this game suffers from a syndrome many games today suffer, way too easy. If you fail five times on the same level you get a support block with a golden tanooki suit which makes you invincible. I am someone who is bad at platformers, I never used a assist block but still managed to make it through the game with over 100 lives, that combined with the fact that the game is far to short make it subpar to the other games in the series Expand
  70. Apr 24, 2013
    All Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs andAll Mario/Luigi games on the 3DS have ranged from average to just bad. This game is in the bad section. The new Mario games are turning into COD. a new game coming out every year. In fact, It is even worse at this point. New Mario 2 and New Mario u came out the exact same year. Anyway. The game is bad. Its ugly, the level design is pathetic. The music is rehashed with even more wahs and bahs. Level designs are cliche. Don't play this game. Don't give Nintendo your money Expand
  71. Apr 1, 2013
    It was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's canIt was just over too fast. And then right when I started getting into the coin-collecting option, that got boring; discover the 2 secret worlds, finished them in one sitting; Started finding the large coins, had fun for a while, found most of them (and the ones left are on levels I hate). And, there's no way a game that is this similiar to games which I've been playing since the 80's can possibly get a great score. Expand
  72. Mar 14, 2013
    There's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be evenThere's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be even more enjoyable if it was a Super Mario 3-like answer to the first DS New Super Mario Bros. Nevertheless, as a 3D rehash of the classic Mario formula, it works in the most important way: being a very fun game that should get you hooked. Expand
  73. Mar 11, 2013
    his game is impressive I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see No problem here I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop Thanks Nintendo
  74. Mar 10, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returningNew Super Mario Bros. 2 is, like the other titles in the New Super Mario Bros. series, a great game but this one only has 6 worlds and three special worlds (Which are quite short). It also takes out all the new power-ups in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, it also adds a new one as well as two returning ones. The new one is the gold flower. It turns bricks into coins. The two returning ones are the mega mushroom (From New Super Mario Bros.) and the tanooki leaf (From Super Mario Bros. 3). Unfortunately, there are no new enemies and they took away some instead. Also, there is a new mode called coin rush. You pick a pack, then 3 courses are randomly chosen and then you get 100 seconds (In some cases 50 seconds) to complete the courses whilst collecting as much coins as you can. Overall, this is a great game but there isn't much new and it's a bit short. Expand
  75. Mar 9, 2013
    NSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you canNSMB.2 surely has to be one of the worst Mario titles to date. Never has it been so apparent of the unspectacular level designs and relatively charmless gameplay. The 3D in the game is completely ineffectual, it just blurs the background that's it! NSMB.2's main gameplay feature is the large supply of gold coins scattered within the levels, with the aim of collecting as many as you can while also rescuing the independent as ever (ha!) Princess Peach. The gold coin collecting idea feels cheap and shallow, just a glorified collect-em-up essentially. The game features characters from the original Super Mario Bros. Trilogy but as with the Wii version of NSMB, this implementation is purely for nostalgic purposes but has no overall effect on the actual game. Co-op mode is wishy washy and to be honest, just as clunky as NSMB Wii's multiplayer was, with the character only focusing on the leading player making the game feel more competitive than cooperative. The Gold Rush mode is a fancy word for collect-em-up time trials. The premise is simple, collect as many gold coins throughout a set a three levels and reach the exits, then repeat these to improve your score. Sounds fair enough but improving your high score is not entirely accurate as the levels are randomised each time!? I know...there is DLC Coin Rush levels but it is a rather lame attempt at longevity to be honest.

Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Features: 5/10

I would stick with your copy of Super Mario 3D Land (if you have it, if not buy that instead) because this Mario title is sadly not worth your time.
  76. Mar 1, 2013
    [FR] Ce jeux est bien sauf que les boss sont trop facile Il y a aussi le mario magique [je ne sais plus le nom] Qui plombe le jeux part exemple au monde finale ta le mario magique et tu destroye tout On ne dirait plus mario. Ce jeux et quand meme Merveilleux surtout a la fin. Je vous le conseille malgrés tout.
  77. Feb 22, 2013
    Even though this is a basic repeat of the other Mario games, this one I have found addicting more than even Super Mario 3d land! New Super Mario Bros.2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed byEven though this is a basic repeat of the other Mario games, this one I have found addicting more than even Super Mario 3d land! New Super Mario Bros.2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed by players of all skill levels on the Nintendo 3DS. There is also a few new power-ups and enemies. Some of those power-ups include: Gold Ring, The Gold Flower, Gold Mushroom, Gold Block and Coin Rush Mode. The new enemies of this game include: Bone Goomba’s, Bone Piranha Plant, Big Bone Piranha Plants, Mini Urchins and Boohemoth. Expand
  78. Feb 6, 2013
    This is... interesting for Nintendo to do. Kind of like how they just copy-pasted Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Galaxy 2 except with Yoshi, New Super Mario Bros 2 is copy-pasting New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii... except nothing that New. While the gameplay is still enjoyable, the story feels the exact same as NSMBW, and the feel is all around NSMB. Not the worstThis is... interesting for Nintendo to do. Kind of like how they just copy-pasted Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Galaxy 2 except with Yoshi, New Super Mario Bros 2 is copy-pasting New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii... except nothing that New. While the gameplay is still enjoyable, the story feels the exact same as NSMBW, and the feel is all around NSMB. Not the worst Mario game, but when it comes to New, it falls flat. Expand
  79. Feb 5, 2013
    This is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from itsThis is a solid 2D side scrolling entry into the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. The level design and difficulty are not top notch however. It doesn't implement the 3D of the 3DS very well. It's charm shines in nostalgia and gameplay mechanics. The bonus downloadable course packs give it a large amount of replay value and much needed challenge. Virtually no improvement from its predecessor but its still quite a bit of fun. Expand
  80. Feb 3, 2013
    What a shame.. I've waited 6 years for new super Mario bros 2 and this is what we got... Nintendo let a lot of people down with this game. The bad level design and amount of bugs as well as other things make this no of the worse Mario games to date.
  81. Jan 25, 2013
    Although the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experienceAlthough the New Super Mario Bros series is getting a lot of hate for being too much of the same, the simple coin idea featured in 2 is just enough to make the game seem a little more satisfying. Since most new Mario games are so easy, I never cared much to collect coins. Watching that meter go up over time as you play and coin rush to beat your friends records is an interesting experience in itself. Expand
  82. Dec 28, 2012
    With the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring thatWith the Super Mario series its easy to say the games are very repetitive but they do what they set out to do gameplay wise very well. New Super Mario Bros. 2 does just that and more by taking the traditional mario platforming and power ups that we all love and adding a new twist there is new incentive to get coins in this game. There is a meter that keeps track of your coins,a ring that changes your enemy gold for a short period of time and when you kill them it adds to your coin tally and there's a coin flower that makes you gold (or platinum if your Luigi) and let's you shoot fireballs that when they hit enemies it also adds to your coin tally. While not overly impressive these features and the new coin rush mode to see how many coins you can get in a level before time runs out both add replay value to an otherwise VERY short game. If your a mario fan like me with a 3DS this one is a must have and while it is short and somewhat easy for seasoned players of the series it's fun gameplay,charming and colorful environments and good overall design are enough to keep you going back for more time and time again. Expand
  83. Dec 27, 2012
    It's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it'sIt's funny how this game is called new super Mario bros 2 but there is nothing new about all the sound tracks (except for the reznor theme) are recycled from new super Mario bros Wii, all of the enemies are recycled from new Smb, new Smb Wii, and 3d land, even the final battle is the same as in new Smb Wii: bowser grows giant for the third time in a row and when you fight dry bowser, it's the exact same battle as when you battle bowser, the only thing about this game that is new is the gold flower and the heavy emphasis on coins but all you get for collecting a million coins is a new title screen I have no idea what nintendo was thinking when they made this game Expand
  84. Dec 11, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good sequel to its first predecessor, New Super Mario Bros.! Collecting a million coins and saving Princess Peach at the new side-scrolling view! Not too recommended, but it'll be good for New Super Mario Bros. fans!
  85. Dec 8, 2012
    Coins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played areCoins, TONS of coins to collect. With a bunch of coins worldwide collected, we will be rewarded like free coin rush packs. Because of this, there is a reason why we should collect coins. Collecting coins is one major goal. Saving Princess Peach is another major goal. Getting tons of coins will be difficult, but saving the princess should be our first major goal. The levels we played are easy, so this game is for beginners. The coin rush mode is more like a challenge. Coin collectors would enjoy coin rush. If you only like challenges, pick another game, or you will find yourself playing a game for beginners. Expand
  86. Dec 4, 2012
    best 3d platform on the nintendo 3ds!
  87. Nov 26, 2012
    Incredibly fun but just a little bit short. How much I loved the first one on DS, I really expected a bit more for the sequel. A great game if the price is right!
  88. Nov 25, 2012
    AVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suitAVOID!!!! I love mario but this is just poor. the 4 hour single player mode is fine but not one level will strike out as amazing, which you come to expect from Nintendo. the tacked on 1000000 coin goal is terrible, you will be bored to death trying to get 1000000. I got around 50000 on my first play through, and to get all the star coins i was near 80000, and I had enough. The racoon suit is awsome and coin rush mode is a good addition, but overall a poor package Expand
  89. Nov 19, 2012
    I have played every non-spinoff Mario Bros. game since I received my NES one Christmas in the early, so I think it is fair to say I have a good feel for the series. New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels closer to Super Mario World or Super Mario 3 to me than it does to NSMB Wii or NSMB. The latter two titles are good, but don't have that classic Mario feel to them. NSMB2 does, and it is aI have played every non-spinoff Mario Bros. game since I received my NES one Christmas in the early, so I think it is fair to say I have a good feel for the series. New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels closer to Super Mario World or Super Mario 3 to me than it does to NSMB Wii or NSMB. The latter two titles are good, but don't have that classic Mario feel to them. NSMB2 does, and it is a wonderful thing; bringing back the Raccoon Suit was a wonderful idea. The levels are all well thought out, and there are hidden coins and secret exits aplenty. The graphics are what you would expect on the 3DS, but I do feel that the 3D could have been better. Items on the screen just don't really pop at you like in other 3DS games. Just a minor quip, as the gameplay is what is truly important in a Mario Game, and they have that down solid. On another note, I feel that the coin collection gimmick is just that - a gimmick, and tacked on at that. Overall a wonderful game! A must buy for Mario fans. Expand
  90. Nov 17, 2012
    This game is impressive ! I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no ? It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see ! No problem here !

I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop !

Thanks Nintendo !
  91. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is total fail, bad 3d quality and glitchy gameplay, avoid it
  92. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played all year. This is an extremely fun platformer, with top notch level design, perfect controls, and amazing graphics. It's no wonder that Mario is the best selling game franchise of all time; the games are consistantly good, some of the best quality money can buy.
  93. Nov 11, 2012
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    Now not only does Mario have to save the Princess AGAIN but he has to recoup a million coins so the mushroom kingdom doesn't repossess his castle.
    The poor state of the economy finally filters its way to the mushroom kingdom.
    I can only assume Mario is the princesses handyman or servant of some description, as a lowly plumber she surely must be aware that her status demands she marry into another reputable household less she tarnish what I am sure is a long upstanding family name.
    Mario may be a hero, but he is no prince, nor a knight. His only title is Plumber. Doesn't even have an apprentice to do his dirty work for him. I mean even if you counted Luigi, which no one does, they do the crap work together. Not a sound mind for business it would seem.
    Probably why he's in dire financial straits in the first place. His plan to fix it? Kill things and turn them into money.
    Actually that isn't the worst plan he's had.
  94. Nov 4, 2012
    This is a fine game. However, it doesn't live up to the 'New' part. I feel Nintendo simply made this because they are in need of money. This is still a great game, but I feel the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. U will be much better.
  95. Oct 2, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros is basically a platform game where you have eight different levels and each time you complete one level you get a golden key to go to the next level. Mario is the main character of the game and there are special powers for Mario to make him go faster, go smaller, go bigger and the flower power.
    New Super Mario Bros is really suitable for any age range because it
  96. Sep 30, 2012
    I really enjoy this game, but I'm sad to see that Nintendo has reused graphics, sound effects and music from New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Even the final boss theme is recycled from the Wii game, which is inexcusable. Nintendo, please don't do what EA does with Madden; think of a more creative idea.
  97. Sep 30, 2012
    Who can complain? It's more of the same old Mario everyone loves! Or so Nintendo would have us think. They should've went with the "Mario Kart 7" naming convention and called this one "Super Mario 238", since it's the 238th Mario game. Along with removing "New" from the title, it would describe the game a bit better. Yet another Mario game from the same "if-it-ain't-broke" 1983 NintendoWho can complain? It's more of the same old Mario everyone loves! Or so Nintendo would have us think. They should've went with the "Mario Kart 7" naming convention and called this one "Super Mario 238", since it's the 238th Mario game. Along with removing "New" from the title, it would describe the game a bit better. Yet another Mario game from the same "if-it-ain't-broke" 1983 Nintendo mold, New Super Mario Bros. 2 does have some nice little puzzles and the standard Nintendo polish. Compared to the DS prequel, it's a little more challenging, but not in the best ways. For example, to get some secrets you need to hit a randomly cycling item block, so be prepared to commit Mariocide multiple times to get that coveted third star coin in some areas. The gameplay is otherwise identical except for the addition of the somewhat disappointing two-plane (background and foreground) 3D graphics and a few new (old?) power-ups. The levels are pretty easy to complete, and in the end you'll have a million coins and hundreds of extra lives. NSMB2 a fun little romp, but if Nintendo wants to play up the nostalgia factor while maximizing profits, I'd rather they just re-release Super Mario All-Stars in 3D and be done with it. It would be far less embarrassing for them, and far more enjoyable for the fans. Expand
  98. Sep 26, 2012
    After Playing for about a week, the game seems to be nothing more than one of Nintendo's marketing ploys. "Coins, Coins and more Coins" I get it! Mario's world revolves around coins as currency and gaining extra lives-which by the time I type this I have over 500- so you can complete the game! But here's the thing, Mario isn't all that greedy. Mario is mostly a hero that saves the girl inAfter Playing for about a week, the game seems to be nothing more than one of Nintendo's marketing ploys. "Coins, Coins and more Coins" I get it! Mario's world revolves around coins as currency and gaining extra lives-which by the time I type this I have over 500- so you can complete the game! But here's the thing, Mario isn't all that greedy. Mario is mostly a hero that saves the girl in the end. I think that maybe this game would have been more appropriate if Wario was the protagonist instead. Wario Land's game play was always about "It's good to be Greedy" and "You have infinite lives". I mostly had to look up how to get to the secret exits, I usually found the secrets in Super Mario World easily and unexpectedly; now I needed help even finding the Star coins. I'd still be willing to see a new Wario Land game, the amount of coins in the old games were limited and it seems that the counter in New Super Mario Bros. 2 is in the millions. Expand
  99. Sep 25, 2012
    I have completed it all it is fun being Luigi and there is challenges along the way it's fun taking down the bad guys but it's also fun to be golden Mario coin rush is the best thing that's fun
  100. Sep 18, 2012
    A great Mario game! I've played all Mario games so far and this one didn't disappointed me. Despite the critic that it is not "new enough" I thought it to has some great new features. If you like me love Mario, go out and get this one, you won't regret!
  101. Jul 10, 2013

Nothing.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]