New Super Mario Bros. 2 3DS

7.2

1. Aug 24, 2012
    It's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and ifIt's been a really long time since I've played a Mario game, and after playing this I'm ready to get back into Mario. The game is fantastic and, as always, has fantastic gameplay, graphics, and sound. There is a new emphasis on collecting coins as they are pretty much everywhere. It's much less challenging than other Mario games, making easier for less skilled gamers to get into, and if you die a lot on one level you'll get the super tanooki suit that will make you almost completely invincible (you'll still die in lava and pits), and while I enjoyed the easier gameplay (I'm finally able to beat a Mario game XD) I feel like this might turn away hardcore side scroller fans who enjoy the challenge that the older Mario games brought, because they'll no doubt blow through this in no time at all. There's also a Coin Rush mode you play for high scores. One thing that disappointed me about the game is how it really didn't take advantage of the 3DS features, you've got some stuff that works with Street Pass, but the 3D effect the system has makes the beautiful backgrounds of the game blurry and really just doesn't benefit the game at all so you really don't want to play this game with it turned on, which is a real disappointment considering this is a 3DS exclusive and therefore should have great 3D effects. Sure the game could have been longer and tougher, but it's still a fantastic side scroller for you 3DS. Expand
  2. Jun 7, 2016
    Of course New Super Mario Bros. 2 is left with many gold tricks and abilities as of that's pretty much the only thing unique about this game, but the gameplay begins to pack a fresh pack of blocks from Nintendo.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups,Its my 250th game review on metacritic! Personally, I find NSMB2 to be an overall better package than the merely okay Super Mario 3D Land, and thats saying a lot considering that I usually prefer the 3D games in the series more than the sidescrollers. Sure, you may complain and say that its the same game, but you can be assured that the product here is of high quality. A few new powerups, an addicting coin rush mode, and just the right difficulty is enough to make this one of the best handheld games of the year. My only criticism is that the overused "Mario saves Peach from Bowser" story is still being used to this day. They need to change the story formula a bit. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2012
    There's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty muchThere's nothing new with this Mario game. It's pretty much the exact same game New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was a few years ago, just with a greater emphasis on the Coin Collecting aspect. That doesn't make it a bad game, far from it. It however is not as good as Super Mario Land 3D was last year as it doesn't exactly take advantage of the systems capabilities. This game is pretty much a standard Mario game at this point. If you've played one of the 2D games in the past, you'll find nothing new here. That also means it's still a solid platformer that you can still play in spurts, which is nice to play a level during a 5 min break at work or something then go back to what you were doing without worrying about not being able to save your game. So it's a decent game but it's nothing special at this point for Mario. I'd recommend the other Mario game for the 3DS before this one but this is still a game that people will enjoy. Expand
  5. Jan 12, 2015
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (or as I like to call it New Super Mario Bros. Wii 1.5) is the third installment in the New Mario series but it's not all new. In fact, it's the most unoriginal installment.

NSMB2 rips all of its music straight from its console predecessor. There's not a single new track in the game. That is, unless you're counting some extra vocals in the music. The world map and overall feel of the game is also the exact same as the Wii iteration. That's not to say it's a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more originality. This is the biggest problem with the game: it's not enough new, it's too much old...so its title basically makes no sense whatsoever.

As with all Mario games, the level design is great and it never actually gets boring. The difficulty is also more balanced in this game than the others. The first New Super Mario was too easy while the Wii version was a tad too hard. NSMB2 is just right, thanks to its new coin gimmick (more on that later). I never found myself getting tired of the levels and I was always eager to go to the next. I still don't like the idea of wasting your Star Coins on extra levels though. Super Mario 3D Land had handled that issue perfectly.

The Koopalings are back though Bowser Jr. has a strange absence. Their fights are strikingly similar to the Wii version but to change the mood up a bit, Reznor from Super Mario World has been added as the fortress boss. The Raccoon Leaf from Mario 3 also makes a comeback complete with the outfit and P-Meter. It's nice to see this beloved power-up make a return. I find it to be superior to the Tanooki Leaf, which is basically the same thing without a P-Meter.

The main feature in NSMB2 is the focus on coins. To quote Scott Moffitt at E3 2012, it's "all about the gold." This is strange as coins never really had much of a point in Mario games (unless you count the occasional earning a 1-up) but it did make the game somewhat easier. It always gave me a sense of satisfaction to collect a lot of coins at once though I never did reach a million.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like a bit of a rehash of the Wii iteration in the franchise but it has enough new things to keep me coming back. It's a great portable experience.
  6. Jul 23, 2013
    "New Super Mario Bros. 2" may be awfully familiar to its past Mario games, but nevertheless, the game is still able to interest you with its new levels and new themes. With better animation than the previous game and its new format in 3D, "New Super Mario Bros. 2" will certainly be a wonderful addition to your 3DS games.
  7. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very good game Nintendo has made; it is one of my favourites of all time. The controls are great, the graphics are great overall and for 3DS,The story and Characters are great, the bosses are awesome. This is more like a Super Mario Wourld because of Reznor and the Koopalings. My favourite Koopaling is Roy or Bully Koopa, even though he is pink, he acts like me. Buy this game and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U if you haven't already. Seriously, this game is insanely fun. Expand
  8. Mar 21, 2015
    Just as amazing as the first one!

PROS
    -Graphics
    -Secrets to explore
    -Challenging gameplay

CONS
    -Story is a little dry .
  9. Mar 12, 2015
    This is a great NSMB game. My 3rd favourite one. The graphics are great for 3DS. The levels have good designs. The Koopaling fights are awesome. The controls work very well. New Super Mario Bros 2 is awesome and you should definitely get the game.
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    There's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be evenThere's just something immensely pleasurable about collecting a crapload of coins, one after another, isn't there? This coin-craze forms the core of the NSMB2 experience, along with the perfect controls, dynamic gameplay, and Mario's udeniable charisma. Yes, this game does lack when it comes to originality of level design (unlike its older brother Super Mario 3D Land). It would be even more enjoyable if it was a Super Mario 3-like answer to the first DS New Super Mario Bros. Nevertheless, as a 3D rehash of the classic Mario formula, it works in the most important way: being a very fun game that should get you hooked. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2015
    This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard-This game is a solid mario game, although the gimmick regarding the number of coins in the game is never explained, nor is it really fully realized. There's not really any point to collecting all these coins (you're obviously going to have far more extra lives than you could possible need), but yet you do it anyway and it is kinda fun. At the same time, the game is just very standard- nothing too exceptional about it. The multiplayer is fun to play with other people, and my wife and I beat it all the way through together. It does take some getting used to because you have two people on the screen and you have to watch out for each other, and the camera only follows one of you at a time, so one of you is just kinda there for support. I'm incredibly grateful that they included local multiplayer as a feature at all though because it was fun actually being able to play a videogame together that my wife enjoys. Overall, a good buy but nothing to get super ecstatic about. Expand
  12. May 19, 2015
    Super Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds anSuper Mario Bros in its purest form - fun running and jumping, with inventive level design, plenty of variety and, despite other reviews suggesting it is too short, it is actually longer than other SMB games I've played, including SM3D World on 3DS. Previous Mario games added to the run-to-the-flag gameplay by adding 3 big coins to find in each level. This game has this, but also adds an emphasis on collecting coins, the box itself asking if you can make it to 1 million. As the coins were always quite unnecessary, but still compelling to collect, this adds an interesting mechanic, which many new powerups pouring coins out of enemies or even out of Mario's head. The only complaint I would make, which to be fair is the same complaint you could make about any Mario game of the last 10 years, and indeed many Nintendo franchises including Donkey Kong Country Returns, is that you have WAY too many lives. I am on World 3, and have almost 200 lives thanks in part to gaining a life every 100 coins as usual, and with anywhere from 500 to 1000 coins in each level you soon build up a vast backlog of extras. This doesn't detract from the sheer joy of the game, but it does remove a lot of the challenge that has existed since the very first games in the series. Graphically this is a nice upgrade from the previous DS title, and the 3D as always adds a nice depth to the levels. The music is largely taken from the first game too, with the enemies dancing to emphasised points in the tunes, which I always enjoyed. Well worth a purchase, this is a lot of fun and deserves to be in any fan's collection. Expand
  13. Jun 28, 2015
    Its a solid sequel that I feel is well deserved compared to the Wii U version. It gave me a way more lot of challenge that Super Mario 3D Land man. It also has a lot of replay value I did not expect at all. the coin collection also makes it worth picking up again and that's cool because its not following the typical Mario formula
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is pretty easy compared to other New Super Mario games, and plays it pretty safe by not innovating on much, but coin rush is addicting. despite the low difficulty of the main story, its still fun. I'm a sucker for platformers and mario games in general, so I really enjoyed it.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    his game is impressive I played it till the very end and the amount of secret stuff is enormous. The 3D effect should be like that, no It is blurry, because it's the background whom you actually don't completely see No problem here I enjoy the DLC's they brought to the eShop Thanks Nintendo
  16. Aug 11, 2015
    So, what do I have to say about this game? One word: Masterful.
  17. Aug 26, 2013
    A very solid entry in to the New Super Mario Bros. Series it is probably my third favorite and what I really like about it is it focusses the most on the single player mode.
  18. Sep 25, 2012
    I have completed it all it is fun being Luigi and there is challenges along the way it's fun taking down the bad guys but it's also fun to be golden Mario coin rush is the best thing that's fun
  19. May 10, 2013
    From the developers of the Original "New Super Mario Bro's" We have this sequel, which takes place on the more powerful Son of it's predecessor, The Nintendo 3DS, At first glance, not much has changed, the same as usual Mario gameplay, But this game has more depth, more re-playability and more Mario action, there is no reason to not own this title, This is another 3DS Must own.

If I

If I have but one issue; It's the Dull boss battles and somewhat short game, but since the first time I slotted this into my 3DS, it's been played for over 60 hours! More than I've played OOT3D and Super Mario 3D Land! This is a great game! Despite some of the Harsh reviews.
  20. Aug 20, 2012
    Classic mario gameplay with some cool visuals, lots of levels to play along with the coin rush mode which is very fun and addictive. One of the biggest parts of the game is collecting as many coins as you can which is pretty addicting. On the down side the boss battles are not very challenging at all. Theres hidden areas to find and a few new power ups which is cool. If your a fan ofClassic mario gameplay with some cool visuals, lots of levels to play along with the coin rush mode which is very fun and addictive. One of the biggest parts of the game is collecting as many coins as you can which is pretty addicting. On the down side the boss battles are not very challenging at all. Theres hidden areas to find and a few new power ups which is cool. If your a fan of sidescroller mario titles this is a no brainer Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2012
    Hardcore Big N Fan here with a small but informative review. This game has been getting lots o' flak for a bunch of reasons. But the bare bones about it is that it is a fun, memorable game. Its classic Mario platforming! Comparing it to past mario games is easy because its easy but the truth is that the new coin collecting mode is a blast. It really has me glued to this game and lovingHardcore Big N Fan here with a small but informative review. This game has been getting lots o' flak for a bunch of reasons. But the bare bones about it is that it is a fun, memorable game. Its classic Mario platforming! Comparing it to past mario games is easy because its easy but the truth is that the new coin collecting mode is a blast. It really has me glued to this game and loving trying to get to 1 Million coins (no mattter the reward). If you dont like collecting every last secret in mario games, or any game for that matter, you will probably roll through this game in a 4-5 hours. If you like collecting and have ever enjoyed a side scrolling platformer before. This is the game for you. Expand
  22. Jul 27, 2014
    Probably my favorite in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. The platforming is solid and tight, and the emphasis on coin collecting with the million-coin challenge adds quite a bit of replay value. I love the graphics and music, and the Gold Flower is among the very best (if not OP) power-ups in the entire series. One of the best titles for 3DS!
  23. Nov 11, 2014
    This game was so easy until the last level in which I just became so annoyed. The part where you have to climb whilst Bowser's destroying the platforms is such a struggle. But still a great game with updated graphics.
  24. Aug 19, 2012
    A pretty good game overall. The soundtrack is nearly the exact same as the previous game, but personally, it wasn't a problem because the soundtrack is great! Also, it is way too easy to gain lives because of the massive amount of coins in the levels. It would have made it harder if the levels were harder. 9/10.
  25. Mar 20, 2015
    It's a good game for the time. Such a gold rush. Collecting 1 million coins is just insane. New power-ups would've helped but maybe not much. The 3D effects are shallow until you get to the Dry Bowser level. It makes me wish that we're just as rich as Mario and Luigi. I highly recommend getting this game if you haven't played the first one.
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played all year. This is an extremely fun platformer, with top notch level design, perfect controls, and amazing graphics. It's no wonder that Mario is the best selling game franchise of all time; the games are consistantly good, some of the best quality money can buy.
  27. Aug 30, 2012
    Buy it !! Nintendo is your father. Do not forsake your father____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  28. Oct 20, 2016
    An absolute handheld experience. As almost every mario platformer, it is amazing. Nintendo is just best in this segment and you will enjoy every single level. Sometimes you suffer, sometimes you are pround on yourself but game as a whole serves its purpose amazingly.
  29. Aug 26, 2015
    A fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy andA fantastic addition to the New Super Mario Bros series! This game is awesome! People say that this is a bad game because it is just the first New Super Mario Bros game but with a lot of coins added in. That is not true! This game is different and fantastic! The levels are new and still very creative, the graphics are better than the first game's graphics, the music is still catchy and classically Mario, the game play is awesome, and the coins… Oh the coins! There are so many coins to collect! Billions of coins! Literally! This game is so fun! Expand
  30. Jun 18, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros 2 sticks to the guns in true saga-type fashion, popular with eastern audiences. Improvements over the original include brandishing the highly successful power-ups and bosses established in 1988 in Super Mario Bros 3, such as the raccoon suit and Koopalings- and fairly less obscurity and trial-and-error than its forerunner.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Long-lasting and entertaining Mario-platformer has got a new spirit thanks to coin collecting but its design is nothing to be proud of. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't really all that new anymore. What you get is basically the same game as the first one for the Nintendo DS, but with less engaging levels, fewer surprises in terms of power-ups and gameplay, and a boring gimmick set on capturing your inner kleptomaniac.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    New Super Mario Bros. 2's tricks may be old, but they are still some pretty darn good tricks. Length is one of the game's rare shortcomings. [Sept 2012]