6.6

1. Nov 11, 2012
    Ah, Paper Mario. It reminds me of my first time getting a Nintendo 64. Now, if you were looking forward to a Paper Mario game that contained aspects from the original Paper Mario, then you're going to be disappointed. I was a little upset that this wasn't the original Paper Mario, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I thoroughly enjoyed Super Paper Mario, because it was well made.Ah, Paper Mario. It reminds me of my first time getting a Nintendo 64. Now, if you were looking forward to a Paper Mario game that contained aspects from the original Paper Mario, then you're going to be disappointed. I was a little upset that this wasn't the original Paper Mario, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I thoroughly enjoyed Super Paper Mario, because it was well made. Sticker Star works in an original aspect that no other Paper Mario game has done. This game lets you attack by getting "stickers" which you may use as attacks. How do you get stickers? You can buy them, find them, and get them as rewards. While the idea itself sounded stupid to me when I first heard it, I realized that this game actually makes up for it on how fun it is. It almost feels like playing Paper Mario all over again. The sound in the game is great, and it fits the theme of the game pretty well in my opinion. If you enjoy jazz and relaxing music when you're going through some zones, then you are definitely going to enjoy all of the music in this game.

The story in this game is pretty good. It's nothing spectacular, but it IS a Mario game, and they tend to just have an okay story behind it. It's pretty much about Bowser stealing the Royal Sticker from the princess, making it so everyone and everything is made out of stickers. It'll catch on, I promise.

The battles were surprisingly fun. I enjoy almost every moment of the battles. There's a big variety of stickers you can collect and a ton of fun enemies to fight. The battles are turn based, just like the old Paper Mario games, but you get to use stickers to fight. The only gripe that I have with this game is that they took out a lot of fun systems that the previous Paper Mario games contained. I was disappointed to find out that you never get any partners nor badges. They were completely wiped from this game. So if you were looking forward to those, then sadly, you're out of luck. But this game makes it up in it's originality and just basically how fun it was. I was keeping my standards a bit low after hearing this idea. Clearly, I have been blown away by how much fun this game is.

I definitely would recommend at least trying this game. I'd even pay $60 if that was the release price. You can buy it from select retailers or from the Nintendo E-Shop for $40.
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know what to say about this game. This game can hardly even be called an RPG. The only "RPG" about it is that you meet enemies and engage combat with them in a turn-based battle. You get no experience points and when you run away from battle, the enemy disappears on the map like you actually defeated it. There is also no real point to combat other than getting coins, but those are pretty much only spent on the overpowered Things that you need to get in order to make Thing Stickers that you sometimes have to apply to the real world using your annoying sticker fairy partner's "paperize" ability. Sure, maybe you will need to buy a few mushrooms here and there but you can actually get all of these things EVERYWHERE in every level. The battles against a wave of enemies can get extremely annoying because you can't actually choose which enemy you are attacking: you will always attack the first one in the row. You need to use the Battle Spinner in order to attack enemies in the second row too, and it's extremely annoying. Bosses are unbalanced and can pretty much only be defeated by Thing Stickers. Some of them have certain weaknesses but these are never stated unless you've died about three times for not knowing something that was never hinted to. At a certain point I started to avoid combat altogether because I didn't want to waste the stickers I actually needed and either traverse previous levels to get some stickers again or return to Decalburg a billion of times in order restock on stickers(This may seem like it condradicts my previous statement but please keep in mind that this is still not a good thing no matter how you look at it.) Puzzles in the real world never have any real hints either: at a certain point in the game you have to freeze lava by pasting a certain Thing in the background. This could be a handful of Things: Shaved Ice, AIr Conditioner, Fan, etc. So yeah, it turned out to be the Air Conditioner but I only discovered that after failing numerous times with the other things it could possibly have been. There's too much trial and error like this throughout the whole game. But even with all these horrifying flaws, the game can still be fun. I had fun with the game and blasted through it quickly, but only because I had(with GameXplain's advice) watched some playthroughs a few weeks before it was released in Europe. I also have to praise the graphics: they look amazing. It's like the entire game was handcrafted and handdrawn by some sort of amazing artist: I had a lot of fun just watching the environment alone, ESPECIALLY World 4 and 5. But even then the environment is nothing that you won't find in the countless New Super Mario Bros. games: it's exactly those kind of worlds. Anyways, short summary: they could have done WAY better on pretty much everything in this game, but regardless of that it's still pretty fun and I reccommend it if you liked the previous Paper Mario games. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, IAbsolutely terrible. One of the worst Nintendo games I have ever played. They progression through the story is non-intuitive and nearly impossible to figure out by yourself without a guide. The sticker system is honestly just annoying, and the series has lost all of its narrative charm. I tried so hard to play this game but I stopped playing without even beating it. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. I truely don't understand positive reviews, probably people who played the game for an hour. Expand
  4. May 22, 2013
    Interesting new "sticker" mechanic. However they took out many core things that Paper Mario fans loved. Level progression, partner system, and even the badges. All the things that made Thousand Year Door such an amazing jump from the first Paper Mario were removed. Sure you had a few jokes here and there, but it was targeted to a much younger audience that the older fans just would findInteresting new "sticker" mechanic. However they took out many core things that Paper Mario fans loved. Level progression, partner system, and even the badges. All the things that made Thousand Year Door such an amazing jump from the first Paper Mario were removed. Sure you had a few jokes here and there, but it was targeted to a much younger audience that the older fans just would find dull. Your "partner" Kersti can get dull and tiring very similarly to the well known "Navi" from Legend of Zelda. Kersti will crack the same jokes, make the same boring faces, and get angry in the same way. Action commands are all the same (once you get to know them), but it's almost 100% based on timing your A button. Since there is no longer a partner system, you are given what is called the "Battle Spinner", which forces you to pay coins to take extra turns. This is either extremely good, or just plain dumb as you are relying heavily on luck most of the time. Gameplay is repetitive and the entire game has almost no replay value whatsoever. There are a few tedious "100%" completion tasks you can take part in, but for the most part there are little to no easter eggs. No hidden bosses, no challenging arenas, just hidden doors and more stickers. Not to mention the final boss is easily beaten once you figure it out. But after that there is literally nothing to do except go back and replay the entire game again (which is surprisingly short) trying to grind your coins back up to find your hidden doors. As I mentioned earlier, the game is extremely short in comparison to other Paper Mario games. Granted those were for a console, but to be able to complete the game in a few days is just sad. I believe my first playthrough took only 20-30 hours of gameplay. A few things to note that have been removed/changed from previous Paper Mario games (Excluding Super Paper Mario which was horrible):
    -No partner system. That means (no partner storyline, no hidden partners (miss mouze), no sidestories, no witty change of lines from your partners, nobody to help you take damage)
    -Kersti is the new Goomba partner, but with no tattle system. meaning no description of any of the enemies.
    -All your items are now stickers (good&bad. Good that you can more easily obtain items, Bad that the items are no longer unique and are only upgrades of the previous version. EVEN the "Thing" stickers!)
    -Unable to play as anyone other than Mario

In the end, Paper Mario Sticker Star seems like it could have had a lot of potential. If they waited a bit longer and made it far more developed. The game features a very limited number of levels and would benefit greatly if they had far more. We know you can do it Nintendo! Just look at the Superstar Saga!
  5. Aug 19, 2013
    The music and graphics may be alright, but the substanceless, repetitive gameplay that has nearly nothing to do with Paper Mario is not worth your time or money. Spend 40 dollars on iPhone games instead.

P.S. Bowser has no lines of dialogue. NONE.
  6. Sep 29, 2013
    This game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this gameThis game isn't very good but its not bad. The sticker system could've worked, but making the basic attacks based off this was bad. Its confusing since they have a mix of level and open world layout that doesn't work because it requires to go astray from the linear path they chose, but it doesn't allow much freedom justifying it. The Humor and Graphics are still top notch, but this game would've been much better if it wasn't for the sticker system. Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    This is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about aThis is by far my least enjoyable Paper Mario game. The premise behind using a battle system that revolves around no leveling up or learning new abilities is a travesty for an awesome RPG series like Paper Mario. For the first couple hours, I liked using the stickers and thought it was a cool idea. Then I ran out of them and I literally couldn't attack or do anything. Talk about a buzzkill.....As my frustration mounted from this stupid sticker system, I would run away from enemy encounters to stave my stickers. That is pathetic, and a painful flaw in the game design.

The story is funny, but I had to use a game guide to get through it. I do not know how this game is intended for kids based off how many times I got stuck. The lack of side quests too and the linearity really bothered me. Kristi is your only party member which is incredibly disappointing. Doesn't help too Kristi is kinda of a debbie-downer throughout the whole game.

The graphics and sound are superb tho. I loved how vivid each environment looked and it really had the Paper Mario charm in the looks department. This game definitely disappointed me, but I still managed to have fun with it
  8. May 16, 2013
    It should be a good game however, it has caused me to look at guides too much.
    It's baffling as what to do in places. A game should challenge you right? This one has puzzles that you can't logically figure out, you just wander about for an hour then give up and google the guide. Very poor. It's the first Paper Mario game I'm not going to bother completing due to the annoyance.
  9. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorateThis game is bad, especially for a paper Mario title. This a bare bones RPG title, no level up system which makes battles annoying, the only use of coins is to buy stickers to waste on enemys that you don't really need to kill anyways hence the NEED of a level up system, a bad story, the fact I cant go through the game without going online consistenty, and pointless combat, deteriorate what is great combat and exploration Expand
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    I like how it is an Turn based RPG again. For a hand held it was ok. I didn't really like the sticker thing, hopefully soon paper mario will return to the console(s) and stay more true to its original gamer audience paper mario on N64 or thousand year door.
  11. Dec 14, 2013
    I have been a Paper Mario Fan since the first one on the 64, but this was honestly somewhat of a disappointment. Its like they sucked almost all the rpg elements out of the game. It's not horrible, but just too different from the others
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    For me it's a big disillusion. Except for some musics, there is no reason to play this game. No story, no companions, wasted combat system, no badges, no interesting npc, nothing.
  13. Mar 29, 2014
    This was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worldsThis was by far one of the worst games I've ever played, I'm not exaggerating. I don't understand why everyone was giving it 8, 9, and 10s this game was not just the worst in the series but it was just horrible in general. And to all the people who say that Super Paper Mario was bad, no it wasn't, sure it was different but it was still an RPG it had leveling up, and creative worlds (chapters). But as for Sticker Star, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems took away everything good about Paper Mario 64 and PMTTYD and published this "new addition" to the series. But it was downright terrible, all I can say was that it had nice graphics and a couple good sound tracks, but that was it. Sticker Star had no leveling up, which made battling pointless for the game. You could probably fight no enemies and just make money from the stickers you find in blocks to get better ones and just fight bosses and beat the game, and now that I'm talking about it, the Sticker idea for fighting was flawed in all ways possible, it required no skill, you could only use one sticker once, and then get no xp for fighting and just money from fighting to buy more pointless stickers. The worlds (Chapters) were linear and bland PM64, PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario, they all had creative chapter designs and plots, most chapters in the the original 3 were creative and had more story to them then just collecting the Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart you needed to get. Sticker Star had bland chapter designs and bland plots to them, all it was was "beat some levels, backtrack into other levels after solving a puzzle, fight the boss, get the Sticker Crown." That was it, and the bosses were creative too! they were just souped up normal enemies from the game. Even worse, you needed seome one of a kind sticker to easily beat them, which is ridiculous The game had too many challenging moments like World 3, i had to go on IGN for walkthroughs far too many times then i should have. There were no partners either, Partners i the Paper Mario games made it what it was. Goombario, Bow, Watt, Lakilester, Yosi, Vivian, Bomberry were amazing and had personality, not like Kersti who probably sounded like she was reading directly from a script. Even Super Paper Mario kind of had partners, the Pixls, still better then not having any at all. What was more annoying was that Bowser was the final boss, I loved how PMTTYD and Super Paper Mario didn't make Bowser the final boss like in other Mario games, and even in Paper Mario 64 Bowser was the main enemy, but the went in depth to his character and his plot, Bowser had NO LINES in Sticker Star. I honestly don't understand how some of you like this game, I won't attack you for liking it but you cant focus on the games nice graphics, because that's the only good thing about it. Overall this game was a train wreck, I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems redeem them selves and make a game more styled like PM64 or PMTTYD. Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2012
    Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario The Thousandth Year Door will always be classics games, as they have expanded the mario universe by setting grand, deep adventures revolving around interactions with its inhabitants. Super Paper Mario is more so a completely different game than a direct sequel to these two games. Despite being a sequel nominally, Super Paper Mario features a completelyPaper Mario 64 and Paper Mario The Thousandth Year Door will always be classics games, as they have expanded the mario universe by setting grand, deep adventures revolving around interactions with its inhabitants. Super Paper Mario is more so a completely different game than a direct sequel to these two games. Despite being a sequel nominally, Super Paper Mario features a completely different gameplay style, with nearly as much depth as its prequels. However, Super Paper Mario fell short of matching the greatness of the first two Paper Mario games. Then there's Sticker Star. Sticker Star began in development as a conventional Paper Mario game in the style of the first two games, but Miyamoto insisted that the game be playable as a handheld. Although change is often good for sequels, for Paper Mario, this may not be the case. Sticker Star lacks depth of any sort. The story is.....big surprise: Bowser kidnaps peach..... and that's all there is to it. There are few interesting side characters, no party members, and little dialogue. These factors are what made the first three Paper Mario games so memorable. Rather than having story based gameplay with the inclusion of puzzles, Sticker Star consists solely of puzzles revolving around the newfound ability to "stickerize". This does make for some creative puzzles, but these puzzles alone do not justify this game being called a Paper Mario game. I am tempted to rate this game lower, because I am stubborn and disappointed that this game lacks the depth of the prequels, but I must admit that this game does succeed on some levels. The sticker battle system forces you to allocate your stickers appropriately. However, this is the only strategy involved in the whole game, and it is rather thin strategy. You will surely lose to a boss if you do not, by sheer chance, guess its weakness. There are over 60 possible "thing" stickers to choose from, and certain bosses can only be defeated with a particular one, and it is hard to guess which one it is, until you die several times and the game gives you a hint. To wrap this review up I'll conclude by summarizing the games pros and cons. A pro are that it once again attempts to keep the Paper Mario formula fresh by changing up the gameplay. A con is that is also gets rid of the characters, story, and atmosphere that made the other three entries in the series so great. Another pro is that, once you get used to the sticker system, collecting, and puzzles, the game is often pretty fun at times. A con however, is that the battle system is flawed, especially for boss battles, and there is little depth to anything in the game. However, this game's not all that bad, I just hope that the next Paper Mario game actually has a soul. Expand
  15. Apr 24, 2013
    This was the worst showing for Paper Mario since release. Nintendo has removed all of the RPG, all the humour and all of the more interesting settings. Besides that, progression in the game itself is slow, with countless save/load screens and arbitrary nonsense and busywork designed to lengthen game-play in an otherwise unremarkable game.
  16. Sep 26, 2013
    I for one am flat out appalled by this game. I have so many things I hate about this game that I barely know where to start. The sticker system is terrible, they removed the actual storyline of the worlds and just made it another level to beat, I loved the partner systems in the previous games which they also removed, this game barely had any side quests like the others did, there wereI for one am flat out appalled by this game. I have so many things I hate about this game that I barely know where to start. The sticker system is terrible, they removed the actual storyline of the worlds and just made it another level to beat, I loved the partner systems in the previous games which they also removed, this game barely had any side quests like the others did, there were 0 cameos (which I am a HUGE fan of), they also put far too much of an emphasis on the sticker system. I have loved the Paper Mario series since I was a little kid and Thousand Year Door was the first game I ever played and I went on to play the original and then played Super Paper Mario, all of which were amazing, and I was ecstatic when I heard the news about this game coming out. I played through it and beat the game hoping that it would just miraculously get better, but it definitely didn't. I would not recommend this horrible game to even my worst enemy. Trust me, if you really like the Paper Mario series, DON'T PLAY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  17. Feb 17, 2014
    Disappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging yourDisappointing. This coming from a long time fan of the Paper Mario franchises that has loved and treasured these games since the beginning. Sadly however this game removes any of the charming locales, characters and overall level design of the previous installments. Any of the notable RPG elements such as XP are completely removed and simple moves such as jumping in combat or swinging your hammer require a sticker which just seems pointless. I still have high hopes for this franchise but not in this... abomination. The original on the N64 and its sequel on the GameCube deserve your time much more so than this astronomically low-point for the series. Expand
  18. Dec 24, 2012
    It's sad how oblivious and uncaring Nintendo was with this game. This is by far the worst in the series and definitely the worst Mario game for 3DS. Almost everything that made the previous installments great and special was removed. The biggest change in this game is the pointless sticker system. If you don't know what it is, Google it because I ain't got the time to explain it. BasicallyIt's sad how oblivious and uncaring Nintendo was with this game. This is by far the worst in the series and definitely the worst Mario game for 3DS. Almost everything that made the previous installments great and special was removed. The biggest change in this game is the pointless sticker system. If you don't know what it is, Google it because I ain't got the time to explain it. Basically it makes each battle feel like a waste of time. Since their is no leveling in this game, you don't get XP from winning battles, all you get is money, which is used to buy stickers, which are used to battle (you see what I'm getting at here). This is one of the most disappointing games in a long time, save your money and get something else. Expand
  19. Jan 14, 2013
    I don't understand why this game is getting such good reviews. It's terrible. The combat system is completely broken, requiring you to waste valuable time and materials (stickers) for absolutely no gain. With no leveling up, the turn based combat is pointless and time-consuming, serving no purpose but to collect money, which can be obtained far more quickly and easily by collectingI don't understand why this game is getting such good reviews. It's terrible. The combat system is completely broken, requiring you to waste valuable time and materials (stickers) for absolutely no gain. With no leveling up, the turn based combat is pointless and time-consuming, serving no purpose but to collect money, which can be obtained far more quickly and easily by collecting "Things", turning them into stickers, and selling them. Worse yet, if you run out of stickers in combat, you are forced to run away, making the whole ordeal even more pointless. The boss battles are atrocious, requiring you to use specific stickers at specific times or else waste far too many of your stickers. To make matters worse, the specific stickers you have to use are always "Thing" stickers, which you can only ever have one of at any given time. Therefor, if you use the sticker at the wrong time, you're screwed. Worse still, if you fail to beat the boss the easy way, your partner will ridicule you for using too many stickers. The puzzles in the game can also be challenging, but too much so for my taste. Admittedly, the game looks very nice, and the music isn't terrible. But that doesn't excuse the horrid gameplay. (As I always say, gameplay before graphics.) Overall, this is a terrible game and I am sorry for buying it. Expand
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    I was so excited when I learned this game was coming out for the 3DS.......until I played the game. This game disgraces the Paper Mario franchise. Their is no open world like the 64 version, or the best one in the series for the GameCube, "The Thousand-Year Door." This game feels like I'm playing Super Mario Brothers 3 with the way they set up the game into levels. The game provided noI was so excited when I learned this game was coming out for the 3DS.......until I played the game. This game disgraces the Paper Mario franchise. Their is no open world like the 64 version, or the best one in the series for the GameCube, "The Thousand-Year Door." This game feels like I'm playing Super Mario Brothers 3 with the way they set up the game into levels. The game provided no emotion, no substance, nothing. If you enjoyed the game then I'm not going to knock you, but this is not a Paper Mario game. It was so bad to me that I don't even own it anymore. Expand
  21. Feb 15, 2013
    This game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) areThis game was my least favorite in the paper mario series, it is extremely hard to finish without a game guide, it doesn't communicate with the player enough, the boss battles require specific hidden thing stickers that if the player doesn't find or use in battle, they will not be able to finish the boss fight, the availability of stickers is good though, and the levels (most of them) are nicely done and sometimes pretty fun, but i dont see a use to the run away button if its a 50/50 chance to actually run away from a battle, it should be 100% if you tap A repeatedly.
    Final Score: 7.5, but there's no halfway scoring option T.T
  22. May 28, 2013
    This game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels likeThis game is average in a series renowned for being some of the best ever created. The story is intriguing but nothing inspired and the rpg elements are abused to put it lightly. I never thought i would live to see the day where your most basic attack can become unavailable in a paper Mario game. if stickers had more than one use than the game might be better but in the end it feels like you are wasting more uses than gaining by entering into the lackluster combat. in the end the game is not terrible but is not what the paper Mario series deserves Expand
  23. Feb 4, 2014
    This is one of the most boring, uninteresting, and disappointing "video game" I have ever played in my life.

The games first downfall is it's story and writing. it's the typical Mario story. "Bowser is evil, go stop him". No other Paper Mario before has such a lazy story. And the writing is not even funny. Unlike the previous games. The graphics are the only good part about this

The graphics are the only good part about this game. the paper world looks fantastic and the 3D effect does a great job of making the world pop out.

The game-play is boring and has zero strategy. there is no point in fighting enemy's as you cannot level up. All the bosses can be defeated in one hit with the right stickers. And the game is overall just a chore to play.

OVERALL-
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    Paper Mario 64? Beautiful. Paper Mario thousand year door? Glorious. Super Paper Mario. Marvelous.
    Sticker Star? Sold it on eBay for 10 bucks just to get it out of my house. The reason i play paper mario is to get out of the same ol same ol Mario, and sticker star is that all over again. Now, tell me if you have been lost at least once. If you have to go to ign 10 times to beat a game, that's a problem. Also, it removed partners. Tippi, bombett, bow, yoshi kid, watt, ms. mowz. These partners and everybody else made paper mario what it is , and i misss them. the only reason i'm giving this 1 is because of the art. It is pretty good. BUT THAT'S IT.
  25. Jan 9, 2013
    The game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first worldThe game shows off 3D well. The dialogue is funny. There's hardly any skill involved though. Mainly you're just walking around and hoping not to get into another tedious, pointless battle that will neither harm you nor make any significant gains. Then, after you clear the first world, the second starts by gating you based on a rare sticker. So go explore all the levels in the first world again, turning them upside down looking for it and grinding (but not earning XP or anything) for hours just so you can take the next step! Seriously, who thought of that?

The game starts off with a hearty dose of charm, but the gameplay turns it into a slow, plodding chore that wears out its welcome as you retread already overly simplistic stages again and again looking for rare stickers.
  26. Jan 27, 2013
    The game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and itThe game was fun, beautifully designed and the RPG element is a kicker. I've never played the previous paper mario series so really I've got no complaint about "changes" and "improvement". I bought the game expecting a great Mario experience and I definitely got my money's worth. Two little things I wish were better: it could use more playable characters to enhance the RPG feel, and it probably could use a difficulty slider--the game was a tad too easy, despites the abundance of secrets and mysteries in it. Expand
  27. Nov 25, 2012
    Do you want a hardcore Mario game? Paper Mario: Sticker Star is tougher than its predecessor and a surprisingly hardcore experience. Puzzles are sometimes difficult to solve; bosses battles are long and difficult (especially if you can't figure out their secrets). Many reviewers criticised its linearity and I have to agree with that. Lose a valuable sticker..BAM...you're either stuck orDo you want a hardcore Mario game? Paper Mario: Sticker Star is tougher than its predecessor and a surprisingly hardcore experience. Puzzles are sometimes difficult to solve; bosses battles are long and difficult (especially if you can't figure out their secrets). Many reviewers criticised its linearity and I have to agree with that. Lose a valuable sticker..BAM...you're either stuck or dead. Nevertheless, the game is so charming, funny and unique that you forgive the occasional frustration. Expand
  28. Nov 29, 2012
    My only complains are that the game feels a little linear to me and the lack of incentives for the battles other than healing, coins and stickers.
    The things I liked the most are the sticker system, it makes you manage more thoughtfully the stickers you carry and finally the humor of the game is just right, it's a light RPG for the go.
  29. Dec 8, 2012
    This Paper Mario is fantastic! it feels fresh and new and exciting to play. Fans of the series might find some of the changes made to this game a hit or miss but i truly enjoy the gameplay as a whole and find it to have a large fun factor. The Paper Mario series is known for its comedy and fun bright and colorful environments which are all held in tact in this game along with great musicThis Paper Mario is fantastic! it feels fresh and new and exciting to play. Fans of the series might find some of the changes made to this game a hit or miss but i truly enjoy the gameplay as a whole and find it to have a large fun factor. The Paper Mario series is known for its comedy and fun bright and colorful environments which are all held in tact in this game along with great music and fun characters. This is a game that was made to be played for fun as all games should be but sadly many can't get that aspect right. If you are new to the series there isn't much of a learning curve you can learn the combat and main mechanics quite easily so you can be better equipped to face the challenges ahead. And speaking of challenge this game has a fair challenge to it not over the top like some games but enough to make you look before you leap and use more problem solving in certain situations. Overall i'd recommend this game highly to anyone looking for something fun cause thats what this game does best! Expand
  30. Dec 19, 2012
    While fans of the Paper Mario series may be disappointed if they were hoping for a return to the classic RPG gameplay, if you stick it out and play the game anyways, you'll be rewarded with a unique, if slightly flawed, experience.
    . The Sticker system used by the game feels gimmicky at first, but as you play you'll realise the system actually forces you fight more strategically than Flower Points of past games ever did. You used to be able to play an extremely flashy move and just restore your Flower Points to do it again, in Sticker Star, use your most powerful sticker, and it'll be the last time you do until you can get another of those stickers. Large stickers do more damage, but they take up more room. Then there's thing stickers. These unique stickers represent 3D objects you've flattened into sticker form, you'll need them to solve puzzles and move forward within the game. This includes the puzzle of finding each boss's weakness and making them much more manageable to defeat. Keep in mind as you play that nontraditional thinking is the way of Paper Mario, and each puzzle may not be fixed by the most logical method. The system will keep you planning ahead for what you'll need later in the game.

The battle system itself works similar to the original Paper Mario, pick the right attack, and time it right to do extra damage. Then block wheny our enemy attacks. The only real difference is that instead of an unlimited number of attacks, your moves are now represented by stickers. While definitely a fun system, the problem isn't with the mechanics of fighting, rather than your motivation to fight itself. With no exp or levels gained from fighting, only coins, you'll find yourself avoiding fights the entire game. The plot is lacking, just a standard Bowser snatches up Princess Peach story, I must admit I was expecting more from a Paper Mario game. Overall, risks were taken, and while Nintendo found a fun new gameplay, it needs to be refined before they use it again, which I honestly hope they do. Keep the classic Paper Mario formula for the consoles, this sticker based formula works great for the ds.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Brilliant humor and an interesting world won't save Mario's latest RPG offering. Even though the stickers add a lot of variety to the turn based battles, an RPG without any character development tends to turn repetitive eventually. Unfortunately for Mario such is the case with Sticker Star. [Feb 2013]
  2. Feb 10, 2013
    A great reinterpretation of what makes Mario work. [March 2013, p.72]
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    Unfortunately for it, Paper Mario: Sticker Star has to deal with being a “pretty good” entry in a series that is usually considered amongst the best games on their respective consoles. While I did have fun with it, there were times when I felt like I was just going through the motions, and very little of the innovation or character of previous entries shone through.