Ridge Racer 3D 3DS

7.2

1. Nov 23, 2011
    I didn't really want to buy this game, until I saw the review from Official Nintendo Magazine, then I changed my mind. It's actually a pretty good racer that doesn't take itself too seriously. Negatives: The graphics can look basic (especially on the cars), it is not amazingly long, it doesn't have an on-line mode and is relatively easy (up until the end). Positives: It's fun to play, canI didn't really want to buy this game, until I saw the review from Official Nintendo Magazine, then I changed my mind. It's actually a pretty good racer that doesn't take itself too seriously. Negatives: The graphics can look basic (especially on the cars), it is not amazingly long, it doesn't have an on-line mode and is relatively easy (up until the end). Positives: It's fun to play, can play in short or long bursts of time, streetpass adds to the longevity, sometimes the graphics can look pretty and the multi player is OK. I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants a good racing game for their 3DS. Just really a shame about the lack of online and small amounts of polish on the graphics. Expand
  2. Jun 19, 2011
    Ridge Racer 3D is a great game for fans of racing games. I personally do not play many racing games, but I picked this up because I got bored with Super Street Fighter 4 after about a month. The graphics are great, not excellent, but they do deserve some praise. The game also offers plenty of customization, from changing nitrous packs on a car to the color and design, and allowing you toRidge Racer 3D is a great game for fans of racing games. I personally do not play many racing games, but I picked this up because I got bored with Super Street Fighter 4 after about a month. The graphics are great, not excellent, but they do deserve some praise. The game also offers plenty of customization, from changing nitrous packs on a car to the color and design, and allowing you to make your own "logo". My only gripe with this game is the lack of online multiplayer, which takes away from the replayability. The game does offer many tracks and modes to play though, so as long as you don't mind doing it by yourself, there is plenty to keep yourself occupied with. The biggest selling point for this game is the 3D though. It really aids you in your timing and distance perception, both largely important for a racing game. Overall, this game is an enjoyable experience that really demonstrates how 3D can change a game. Collapse
  3. Aug 9, 2012
    Ridge Racer 3D is a solid racer that makes good use of the 3DS' three-dimensional effect capabilities. It's easy to pick up and play and has a decent variety of vehicles and tracks. Fans of the series will want to take on the "career mode", in this case a "Grand Prix Challenge" which is a series of races earning points and trophies to advance. New vehicles and minor upgrades can beRidge Racer 3D is a solid racer that makes good use of the 3DS' three-dimensional effect capabilities. It's easy to pick up and play and has a decent variety of vehicles and tracks. Fans of the series will want to take on the "career mode", in this case a "Grand Prix Challenge" which is a series of races earning points and trophies to advance. New vehicles and minor upgrades can be purchased with points. RR3D is *not* for anyone looking for a "realistic" racing game; there are no licensed vehicles, the tracks are works of fantasy, and the physics are borderline Mario Kart. You won't take damage from crashing into other racers or obstacles, and the enemy racer AI is not great. Still, the game looks good, is fun to play, and is priced right. Recommended. Expand
  4. Sep 8, 2013
    I'll kick off by stating my love for the classic Ridge Racer drift mechanic and arcade style old school gameplay. Love it! Colourful and bright with great cheerful sounds to boot, you can tell this games roots are from a time when arcade machines were played regularly and people stuffed pocket fulls of ten pence pieces in them to have 'just one more go'.
    Though the graphics do not
    Though the graphics do not showcase the full potential of the 3DS, they do run quickly and smoothly and they look great in stereoscopic 3D.
    There is a lot of depth here too because not only is there an extensive single player mode but for those of us who like our time trials there are four versions of each track to master in each class. That's some serious gameplay right there. Not only that but the game has that classic, 'one more go' vibe to it. Short enough to pick up and play, lasting enough to really get stuck in to. A great handheld title.
    I got mine at launch with my 3DS and it's still a firm favourite of mine to play.
    It should be quite cheap to pick up now.. Highly recommended.
  5. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is really good. Although there is no online multiplayer, the single player campaign is over 15 hours of gameplay. There are a good amount of cars and tracks to race with/on, and the gameplay is astounding, The game has a brilliant emphasis on drifting, and once you get the hang of it and you get to the class 3/2/1 cars, you'll have a load of fun drifting around courses likeThis game is really good. Although there is no online multiplayer, the single player campaign is over 15 hours of gameplay. There are a good amount of cars and tracks to race with/on, and the gameplay is astounding, The game has a brilliant emphasis on drifting, and once you get the hang of it and you get to the class 3/2/1 cars, you'll have a load of fun drifting around courses like you're on a roller coaster. I highly recommend this game to people in general, and for 3ds racing fans this is a must have!!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: N/A
    Music: 7/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Length: 7.5/10
    Overall: 8.5/10
  6. May 26, 2011
    Overall the game is good, graphics could be better though. I compared it too the PSP version I own and in some ways it looks worse, which I found odd. The selection of cars and tracks are great though.
  7. Mar 27, 2011
    For someone who's more used to playing Sim racers, this kinda feels like a modern day OutRun. There's not that much depth, or subtly - and that's why I like it! It's great on a handheld system. The 3D works well, and the graphics are generally quite good. Of the launch titles, this is in the top 3.
  8. Mar 26, 2011
    To start with, the graphics are top class. The precision and great quality of graphics means that the game looks like a PS3 game, that's how good it is. The game itself is great, with many great characters and uses most of rhe 3DS's functions to good (make that great) use. The only downfall is that there really isn't much new to offer, apart from some new circuits and the like. Very good,To start with, the graphics are top class. The precision and great quality of graphics means that the game looks like a PS3 game, that's how good it is. The game itself is great, with many great characters and uses most of rhe 3DS's functions to good (make that great) use. The only downfall is that there really isn't much new to offer, apart from some new circuits and the like. Very good, worthy of it's current metacritic score, however, could offer something that's slightly more drastically different to other versions. Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2011
    I loved this games, and I think that 1UP did too with it's "B-" score. But the Metacritic score of 67 does not show it. The 3D really adds to this game, and it is the 2nd best launch game on the system!

As a school teacher, an A is 90-100, a B is 80-89, a C is 70-79, a D is a 60-69, and an F is 59 and below. I think your C and D grades are way too harsh and bring down the overall Metacritic score even though there are some things that the critics liked in those movies/songs/games. Please consider revising your letter grades. Sincerely, Mr. B
  10. Apr 12, 2012
    I liked this game because you mostly won all the time but when it first came out it had a glitch until they fixed it in June but I thought this game was really thought out alot
  11. Jul 31, 2011
    fun racing game. great 3d effects and lots of cars to unlock. perfect racing for nintendo 3ds. unlock all kinds of stuff when beat such as pac-man music and etc... perfect game for the racing fan
  12. Aug 13, 2011
    Honestly this was one of my primary reasons for investing in a 3DS console. I knew the game would have the tracks that Ridge Racer fans have known and loved over the years, but in 3D. I didn't know that three extra tracks were created just for this installment, which was a pleasant surprise, and really don't feel out of place at all with the rest of the tracks. If you hadn't knownHonestly this was one of my primary reasons for investing in a 3DS console. I knew the game would have the tracks that Ridge Racer fans have known and loved over the years, but in 3D. I didn't know that three extra tracks were created just for this installment, which was a pleasant surprise, and really don't feel out of place at all with the rest of the tracks. If you hadn't known previously, you couldn't tell when they were created. Its worth a purchase for Ridge Racer fans just to see these these new areas you can master.

Graphically the game is on par with the Ridge Racer games from the PS1 era, but you only really notice that when you turn the 3D effect off. If you leave it on the game looks absolutely amazing in motion. The 3D gives certain aspects of the older tracks new life. It's cool to see the confetti flying at you and getting stuck on your windshield, rather than just blowing by as it did in 1993.

The controls are pretty standard. Analog and D-pad control is supported but I find that the D-pad works better for this particular game. Which is strange because I preferred the analog stick on Ridge Racer 4 and 5. If you are knew to the series it can take a bit to get used too, but the game does a good job of easing you in and is very helpful to newcomers as it explains the drifting mechanics. Really this is the perfect example of a game being â
  13. May 18, 2016
    So I just reached 100% completion in the game and I have to say this is my favourite game on the 3DS period! The graphics are first rate and the game moves along very....very quickly when you advance to Category 1 races. The classic Ridge Racer drifting remains here and it's spot on and works well to help charge up those all important nitrous charges.
    The music is typical Japanese techno
    The music is typical Japanese techno and suit the game well, and there are over 35 tracks so there's plenty of variety here.
    To have all of the tracks from the previous Ridge Racer games plus new ones, combined with mirror mode and reverse mode is fantastic and you have yourself an abundance of tracks to master.
    The only criticism I have is that late in the campaign there is some serious rubber-banding to deal with but this is a minor gripe only.
    With the 3DS ageing this game can be found at a great price and is well worth your time and money.
  14. Jun 19, 2011

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 20, 2011
    Ridge Racer 3D is a fast and relaxed arcade racer, but the cars and tracks are much prettier on big consoles. [May 2011]
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Arcade-racing fans should take a look at Ridge Racer 3D. The game is funny, challenging and a real arcade-racing game with the good old Ridge Racer features & sounds.
  3. May 25, 2011
    There's fun to be had with Ridge Racer 3D, and it's a decent showcase of what the 3DS can do. There's room for improvement but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. We'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series and newcomers alike.