8.3

1. Feb 2, 2012
    3D land is not as good as SMG2 or NSMB Wii, and it is not the best 3DS game, but it is still a lot of fun. The 3D effect in the game is amazing and the graphics are the best I have ever seen on a Mario game.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Solid Mario game. Game is a little too easy until very end. Doesn't get challenging until the last level and the secret levels. Good game for younger gamers or something to play to relax. Has typical Mario charm and upbeat whimsical music.
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    A very entertaining game to pass the time.
  4. Nov 17, 2011
    Some interesting facts: while 3D Mario games are always critically acclaimed, they only sold around 5-7 million copies in comparison to the latest 2D Marios (New Super Mario Wii including) which sold around 20 million copies and above! Super Mario 3D Land is an attempt to bridge this gap, getting new users to buy into Mario's 3D world. Like Mario Kart Wii before it, purists criedSome interesting facts: while 3D Mario games are always critically acclaimed, they only sold around 5-7 million copies in comparison to the latest 2D Marios (New Super Mario Wii including) which sold around 20 million copies and above! Super Mario 3D Land is an attempt to bridge this gap, getting new users to buy into Mario's 3D world. Like Mario Kart Wii before it, purists cried foul...It's too easy, etc etc.. Nevertheless, I feel that by making the levels shorter, it makes for a more addictive experience. Yes, Mario Galaxy 2 is the pinnacle of Mario gaming...but it is also super hard. Mario 3DLand hits the sweet spot in this instance and still contains some of the best platforming in the business! Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2011
    Very enjoyable and one of the best reasons to a 3DS, everyone needs to own this game. The 3D in the game is by far the best 3D done on the system so far and it really shows what the system can do with a good 3D game. The levels are enjoyable as well as plentiful and it'll keep your attention for days. If you own the 3DS, then you most likely already own this game since it's probably theVery enjoyable and one of the best reasons to a 3DS, everyone needs to own this game. The 3D in the game is by far the best 3D done on the system so far and it really shows what the system can do with a good 3D game. The levels are enjoyable as well as plentiful and it'll keep your attention for days. If you own the 3DS, then you most likely already own this game since it's probably the best original game to date. For others, this is the game that'll show off the true 3D capability the system can offer, unlike 90% of the rest of the games out there. Buy this game if you haven't already and you'll love it to death. Expand
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 • Story: 6/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements +Great Variety in Level design
    Game: Super Mario 3D Land
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Mesh of 2D and 3D elements
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +Play as Mario (and Luigi later on)
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and Music work
    +Well designed visuals

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -2nd half of game is mainly a rehash of the first half with a few differences but nothing too noticeable
  7. Oct 20, 2013
    Almost my favorite 3ds game behind Mario Kart 7 all I can say is that its another Great 3D Mario game, that is also quite challenging and works great with the 3ds.
  8. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    Super Mario 3D Land is a must buy game for you Mario Fans.This Game has an awesome game play and it is so addicting to play this game.The world in this game looks very creative and that is why I love it.The story in this game is so obvious but the story is not bad.Although the story is really obvious and we will all know what will happen so the story isn't really interesting.But it isSuper Mario 3D Land is a must buy game for you Mario Fans.This Game has an awesome game play and it is so addicting to play this game.The world in this game looks very creative and that is why I love it.The story in this game is so obvious but the story is not bad.Although the story is really obvious and we will all know what will happen so the story isn't really interesting.But it is still okay.The graphics is what should I say?Not good.I should admit It looks like I was playing a 2004 game rather than a 2011 game.

Well anyway despite hating the graphics and hating the story line the game play saved them all from sinking into a low score.I love the game play in this game because It is fun.The verdict for this game is a 7/10 a good game.This game is a must own game for you Mario fans and I hope you will buy this game and have fun.
  9. Feb 19, 2015
    The first ever 3DS game I got back in 2011, this is one of the BEST Mario games out there. The special worlds are fun, but some levels are hard as hell. I just friggin loved the 3D Graphics and I totally recommend you buy this game.To me, I treated this game as a sequal to Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 because I beat those 2 games 100%. This game is a must have even if you are a casual gamer. TheThe first ever 3DS game I got back in 2011, this is one of the BEST Mario games out there. The special worlds are fun, but some levels are hard as hell. I just friggin loved the 3D Graphics and I totally recommend you buy this game.To me, I treated this game as a sequal to Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 because I beat those 2 games 100%. This game is a must have even if you are a casual gamer. The best handheld game that is Mario 3D. Expand
  10. Feb 3, 2012
    This is the best game on the 3DS yet. The gameplay is genius as normal, the graphics will put a very big grin on your face and the music is superb. However, this is not the best Mario game (3rd best in my opinion) due to one problem it has: It's easy. It's easy to do the main game, very easy (there is no real challenge until World 6) and you will probably have over 100 lives by the timeThis is the best game on the 3DS yet. The gameplay is genius as normal, the graphics will put a very big grin on your face and the music is superb. However, this is not the best Mario game (3rd best in my opinion) due to one problem it has: It's easy. It's easy to do the main game, very easy (there is no real challenge until World 6) and you will probably have over 100 lives by the time world 8 rolls along. But, the difficulty is the game's only fault, it's level design is fantastic, maybe the best I've ever seen! It just falls short of the two Galaxy games due to it's easiness (did all 8 worlds in under 6 hours), but it does double in length when you complete it, which is fantastic. Every 3DS owner needs this game, else their collection will never be complete. Expand
  11. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I very much enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, it was very fun. I really liked the formula they introduced in this game, it was creative because it combined elements from both the 2d Mario games and the 3d Mario games; Think Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. It was very enjoyable in this style, however I think this is unfortunately one of the easiest Mario games out there, luckily the levels the bonus worlds are harder, but I kind of wish we had more of a challenge in the regular levels. Super Mario 3D Land is very fun and very enjoyable, it's a must have for the 3DS and I can't wait to play it' sequel, Super Mario 3D World, once I get myself a Wii U. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2012
    Super Mario 3D land is really, really good, with impressive graphics, longevity, fun game-play, catchy music and amazing 3D, it's possibly the best game on the 3DS.
  13. Feb 13, 2015
    Best handheld game ever! This game is awesome. The graphics are great. The level designs are well done. The special worlds are fun. The controls are perfect. Super Mario 3D Land is an amazing game and it is a must buy for 3DS owners.
  14. Apr 6, 2015
    Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fun Mario game, i really enjoy the game's aspect of it going
    Mario is on adventure to save Peach as always,
    the gameplay is good but finding the coins stars kinda hard to play game but this issue won't take me to stop playing the game,
  15. Dec 30, 2012
    Sporting varied difficulty levels, great graphics and a great use of the 3DS's technology, Super Mario 3D Land is an innovative twist on classic Mario action we had a long time coming.
  16. Aug 6, 2014
    It's a good game to play through once, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing again. I enjoyed the game overall but can't shake the feeling it wasn't very inspired. There are some levels that have good design to them but I felt like more than half of them just had you jumping across solid color blocks and platforms and not much else. Bosses are not plentiful. I know Mario isn'tIt's a good game to play through once, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing again. I enjoyed the game overall but can't shake the feeling it wasn't very inspired. There are some levels that have good design to them but I felt like more than half of them just had you jumping across solid color blocks and platforms and not much else. Bosses are not plentiful. I know Mario isn't really about the bosses and it's supposed to be simple, but I don't get what nintendo has against putting new things in mario. How about a couple new boss enemies so you're not playing a repeat of the koopa kid fight over and over? The platforming for the most part is good, but on some of the harder levels it gets frustrating trying to get Mario to land properly on small platforms, without him slipping and falling off. The majority of the levels don't have that problem but the worst was the crown level at the very end. They tried to make it the most challenging level in the game, but challenge is only fun when you know that dying is your fault and not the game's.

Anyway, like I said it was fun but by the end I was so burned out on it because of how simplistic and featureless it is.
  17. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best games on the 3DS hands down. 3D Land has so far the best visuals on the 3DS, the game looks that impressive. Great level design, great music, a fun climax. This is pretty much what a 3D Mario game should be on a handheld.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    I'm going to make what many would brand a controversial statement, but here it is anyway; Super Mario 3D Land is the best handheld game ever made! And please know that I am not some gushing Nintendoist fanboy. My personal handheld weapon of choice is my PS Vita, but it's first-party masterpieces like this that stop me from ever chopping my XL in.

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly

Indeed SM3DL exceeds (or utterly smashes) expectations in every single department: gameplay, graphics, animation, use of 3D, soundtrack, controls, content, level design, difficulty, variety... the list goes on and on. And on. There's even a surprise or two along the way!

I've so far ploughed more than fifty hours into this deeply accomplished and wonderfully nuanced 3D platform adventure, and I enjoyed, nay loved, every single minute. I've completed everything, found every secret, and unlocked every level, and yet, I'm still far from done with my escapades in 3D Land. A year-and-half since it's release, I still regularly find myself picking it up for twenty minutes here and half an hour there. Sometimes longer.

I said at the top of this mini review, that Super Mario 3D Land is the finest handheld game of all-time, and it is, but having now given the matter further thought, it's much more than that. It's one of the best games of all time, period. If you've never really got into handheld gaming or you're yet to play this 3DS classic, I emplore you to give it a go. If ever there's a handheld game to truly blow your socks off, it's this one.
  19. Mar 14, 2013
    Mario's first adventure in the 3DS is a stunningly beautiful 3D platformer, featuring some of the most clever stages in the series' entire run and that is no small feat.

My few complaints have to do mostly with the way the game is structured. This was the perfect opportunity for us to get a non-linear, open-world original Mario adventure in handheld form (think Super Mario 64). Instead, we get the classic stage lineup, divided into worlds, which makes the stages seem more self-contained than they needed to.

Still, the action is excellent, even thrilling at times, and Nintendo again shows us that spotless gameplay and the ever endearing main character of Mario are enough to make the lack of storyline not matter one bit.
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    After Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. ItAfter Super Mario Galaxy 2's masterful achievement, I was hoping for a bit more. Super Mario 3D Land feels a bit like a digression. But there's no denying it's a excellent game anyway. It's just disappointing. Here's the thing. Galaxy felt more free, non-linear, and unpredictable. You never knew what to expect from a new galaxy. In 3D Land, the ideas aren't whizzing around as fast. It definitely plays it safe. Level design is what perks it up, though. 3D Land takes the predictability and does a lot with it. Level design can also be annoyingly restrictive. Part of Galaxy's freedom was due to the loose design and the great camera. But 3D Land feels forceful all the time, like a 2D mario. It's fine in a mario bros. game because that's what it is, but not in a 3D platformer. There are also very few actual bosses, with mere repitions most of the time. Boom-boom in world 2, Boom-boom in world 3, e.t.c. The final boss is Bowser, but actually very good, maybe even the best final boss in a mario game, EVER. It may be linear, but 3D Land has got a good sixty hours of play if you want to get all the star medals (three in each level). These are challenging and greatly increase the replay value. And I have to say, while some levels are almost exactly the same as they would be in a 2D platformer, others have distances difficult to judge if the 3D effect is off. This is an excellent example of how 3D can be important in games. Expand
  21. Nov 23, 2011
    Mario jumps into 3D for his main 3DS debut game in Super Mario 3D Land. The game itself feels like a hybrid of Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), New Super Mario Bros. (DS) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). There is a total of three save files on the game card with the ability to assign a Mii avatar for each to know which file belongs to a specific person if you are sharing the game with anotherMario jumps into 3D for his main 3DS debut game in Super Mario 3D Land. The game itself feels like a hybrid of Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), New Super Mario Bros. (DS) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). There is a total of three save files on the game card with the ability to assign a Mii avatar for each to know which file belongs to a specific person if you are sharing the game with another person. The game music soundtrack is varied with both unique tracks and remakes and remixes of classics tracks that fits well with the mood of each stage. The stages are somewhat short and some come off as looking a tad bit bland while others are absolutely beautiful. You are usually rushed along to the exit being unable to fully enjoy the atmosphere of the stages due to the timer's limit. Stage types can range from multiple Mario staples like grassy fields, canyons, ghost houses, sewers, lakes, Koopa airships, clock towers, Snowy mountains, desserts, caves, castles and many more. Mario is playable along with an additional playable character (its obvious who it is) that needs to be unlocked later in the game. If you lose multiple lives on a single stage, you are given special "beginner" power ups to help aid you through the levels (keep in mind that this does not happen in the Special worlds which will be mentioned later and that using them will permanently lock access to a specific reward later on in the game). The game has a total of 16 Worlds to cover from the basic first eight worlds to the more challenging eight "special" worlds with increased difficulty and/or lower time limits and/or other unique challenges to prove your skills. It should be noted that it can sometimes be hard to judge certain jumps when the 3D feature is disabled but its not in any way impossible to play only in 2D mode. Overall, unlike New Super Mario Bros. for DS, Super Mario 3D Land does not contain minigames nor a wireless/wifi multiplayer mode so once you fully complete the game or get bored of it, there isn't that much to come back to unless you are willing to start the game from square one and relive the adventure all over again but with that in mind it is still a high quality single player 3D Mario platforming adventures with a bit of something for people of all skill levels. Expand
  22. May 26, 2012
    Whenever I play Mario games, i feel different than when I play other games. Mario games are simple, fun, and sometimes challenging. This game, however, was simple, fun, but extremely easy. The graphics were great and the gameplay was fun in the beginning but all the levels feel very much the same. Super Mario 3D Land is literally the original Mario games we know, except in 3D. I am a fanWhenever I play Mario games, i feel different than when I play other games. Mario games are simple, fun, and sometimes challenging. This game, however, was simple, fun, but extremely easy. The graphics were great and the gameplay was fun in the beginning but all the levels feel very much the same. Super Mario 3D Land is literally the original Mario games we know, except in 3D. I am a fan of the Nintendo 3Ds â Expand
  23. Nov 29, 2012
    When Mario 64 came out I thought it was cool, but I struggled to get into the game, so when I heard about this game I was wary of it at first. I picked up the game so I would have something to tackle over the Christmas holidays. I'm glad I did because I found the game thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo did a great job making a 3D Mario feel like the 2D world (in a good way) I found theWhen Mario 64 came out I thought it was cool, but I struggled to get into the game, so when I heard about this game I was wary of it at first. I picked up the game so I would have something to tackle over the Christmas holidays. I'm glad I did because I found the game thoroughly enjoyable. Nintendo did a great job making a 3D Mario feel like the 2D world (in a good way) I found the missions challenging but never frustratingly difficult. The one time I was struggling after dying 10 times or so the game started me off with a powerup to give me a boost. I think this is a must own game for the 3DS system. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    No one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's theNo one does pure unbridled gameplay like Nintendo. I'd rank this the second best Mario game in recent years (behind Galaxy 2 but just ahead of Galaxy). Tapping on great Mario entries from the past such as Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and the Galaxy games, 3D Land is both a reverential treatment of classic gameplay and a wonderfully refreshing portable title. The fact that it's the strongest showcase of the system's 3D capabilities makes this an absolutely essential purchase. Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2014
    the game is good good visuals good gameplay but they bascally put new super mario bros and made it in 3d and the game lacks a hubworld like super mario galaxy
  26. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super Mario 3D Land is a great Mario game with a few things holding it back from standing out.

The gameplay is as you'd expect, the controls feel tight and responsive and stomping on goombas is as satisfying as ever. The level design is great and levels are short to suit the handheld style. The new power ups are great, with both the tanooki and boomerang suits being a blast to play with. Complaints that the game is short are in my opinion unfounded. Yes the 8 worlds are over pretty quickly but you then unlock a whole 8 new 'special worlds' meaning the game will easily take 16 odd hours to finish and that's before you even collect the star coins (which in general is fun rather than it being a chore). My issue is not the length but that the special worlds are a little repetitive. They're essentially levels you've already played with extra enemies or new elements thrown in such as shadow Mario or a decreased time limit. While this makes a fun challenge it gets repetitive when certain levels are used 3 or 4 times and occasionally feels like things have been made difficult for the sake of it, rather than challenging in a fun way.

Visually the game makes great use of the 3D (the birds eye view levels where Mario looks as if he's jumping out the screen were a highlight) and is a good showcase of the 3DS' capabilities. Levels are generally full of colour and vibrant but occasionally feel a bit sterile, I couldn't put my finger on why but I think it might be the lack of detail in the background on some levels. The sound is as strong as ever with cool tunes and sound effects throughout.

In conclusion this is a great first handheld 3D outing for the plumber but the repetitive special worlds and lack of that intangible magic that Mario titles often bring holds it back from standing out from the rest of Mario's catalogue. If you own a 3DS then you should own this, it's one of the best games on the system. If you don't, it's probably not quite special enough to warrant the purchase of one just for this game.
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    La salvación de Nintendo 3DS fue este juego, y debo admitir, fue el mejor juego (sin incluir remakes) de Nintendo 3DS durante todo un año y para ser un juego portátil, ofrece mucho y es de muy buena calidad, se ambienta en un mundo enorme y une perfectamente la escencia de los Mario 3D y los Mario 2D.
  28. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the most perfect... thing to come out of Nintendo's unoriginal mind. If you got this packaged with the red 3DS, good for you, that was the wisest purchase of your life. Though, yes there is little new power-ups, that doesn't stop this game from exploding your thumbs from not having an awesomeness shield. I would write more, if i wasn't too lazy.
  29. Dec 5, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land. Can it keep up with Galaxy? Not quite, but it's not far short. The courses are designed amazingly well, and many are far better even than the genius design behind the Galaxy games. There are many new suits as well, including Tanooki, Boomerang, Fire and the Block suit. All are well used to brilliant effect, although the Tanooki suit does feel very overused, whichSuper Mario 3D Land. Can it keep up with Galaxy? Not quite, but it's not far short. The courses are designed amazingly well, and many are far better even than the genius design behind the Galaxy games. There are many new suits as well, including Tanooki, Boomerang, Fire and the Block suit. All are well used to brilliant effect, although the Tanooki suit does feel very overused, which sometimes unfortunately allows you to glide on by past some of the greatest Mario courses ever designed. The colours are vibrant, and the 3D is used really well. There's even 2 different types to choose from, one set deep into the screen, another further out. The game includes 16 world each containing 5 levels, and is therefore fairly lengthy. I have played 18 hours and have finished all worlds, however, I still have a few worlds to achieve all star coins on. If your quickly breezing through the game, it will take you 6 hours to complete each level. If you appreciate 3D Land's inner beauty, it should take you 20 hours. The music is very catchy and you'll find yourself humming along, but it can't compare to Galaxy. Something that can compare to Galaxy however, are the graphics. As beautiful - if not more at times - as any of Galaxy's levels, it's a compressed wonderland of vibrant colour and joy. Overall, 3D Land is an essential for 3DS, but if you've got a decision on your hands between 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, it goes to 7 for the longevity and extra polish. Still, a great game and a great Christmas present. Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2011
    This game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wishThis game is not the best Mario ever, for me it falls short of the stellar Galaxy games. However, it is still proper Mario action with many nods to the classic formula with plenty of new ideas and the 3D effect is wonderfully utilised. What's definate is that this is the best game on the 3DS, that is until Mario Kart comes. For now, this will satisfy everyone's Mario's needs. I do wish this game were harder though..... Expand
  31. Nov 13, 2011
    This is one of my new favorite 3DS games it uses all the 3D technology and it is worth 40 bucks on release.Tho it is slow in the beginning and then picks up. I still would not rate this game low it is a must have if you own a 3DS. Especially for the holidays it is a great gift.
  32. Mar 27, 2015
    This game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where youThis game was made for the 3DS, and I don't intend that to be an obvious statement. A lot of games are made for the 3DS but are faulty on one of two levels: 1) they don't utilize the full capabilities of the 3DS -or- 2) they try wayyy too hard to maximize the 3D aspect, which let's be honest, can be a real strain on the eyes. Super Mario 3D Land does it perfectly. There's parts where you need to have the 3D slider on, but the game doesn't use it as a crutch for being a 3DS game. There's plenty of innovation with added suits, world diversity, and the gameplay is just downright fun. This one is a blast, and its replay value is extremely high. Expand
  33. Nov 24, 2011
    Nintendo wanted some money. This game lacks in evry department especially difficulty. What a waste of money. Dont end up like me please. Save yourselves and your money from this game!
  34. Mar 11, 2013
    reat game. The 3D effect is more than eye candy here. It actually is useful to judge distances and gives a necessary depth to this platformer. There is a vast amount of content here between the main and bonus levels. A must have for all 3DS owners and those who are on the fence about owning the system.
  35. May 4, 2015
    Absolutely fantastic Mario game. The whole feel, the music, the controls, the graphics are exactly what you want from it. The 3D is very good - it doesn't add a lot to the gameplay (as with most 3DS games) but it does add nice depth to the backgrounds, and gives a certain extra something to landing your jumps on the enemies or platforms.

The level design is largely very good, but

The level design is largely very good, but leads to the one complaint I have - it's too short! I completed all 8 worlds and obtained all 3 star coins on all but a handful of the levels on the first try. The rest weren't hard to find. The levels are quite small so finding them wasn't a huge challenge. The special levels mix it up, and have so far been more difficult to complete 100%. The Bowser levels are few, but are very exciting, having you run towards the switch at the end a la Super Mario Bros on NES, except in a long, 3D section rather than a short bridge as in that original.

There is little replay value here in the short-term (unless you ARE struggling to get 3 star coins everywhere) but I definitely will run through it again probably every year or two, as I do with most other Mario titles.

Easily the best Super Mario (platforming) handheld game for sure, and gives many of the home console games a run for their money.
  36. Dec 25, 2011
    This is one of the best games to purchase on the 3DS. Truly a must have. Delivering the best 3D experience on the system and a timeless formula of game play that breathes replay value.
  37. Feb 16, 2014
    As always, gameplay wise it doesn't get much better. My problem is that it all feels too clinical. It's not a world that Mario is adventuring through, it feels more like a lab experiment. Still had good fun though
  38. Apr 23, 2013
    I must confess that I was never a fan of Mario games for a couple of reasons: as a child, I thought that the graphics were boring, with too many regular shapes and few colours, compared to games like Rayman for instance; I didn't like the lack of a health meter and the time limit of each level; finally, the difficulty level seemed a bit high. It is true that I have only played a few MarioI must confess that I was never a fan of Mario games for a couple of reasons: as a child, I thought that the graphics were boring, with too many regular shapes and few colours, compared to games like Rayman for instance; I didn't like the lack of a health meter and the time limit of each level; finally, the difficulty level seemed a bit high. It is true that I have only played a few Mario games, the first one on the NES and a few on the GBA. In any case, Super Mario 3D Land has changed my opinion regarding all the matters mentioned above.

The graphics are excellent, probably the best on the 3ds so far. The colours are rich and bright, and each level has its own theme with unique elements. The 3d effect is very good and it is one of the few games where the effect really improves gameplay. There are many power-ups in the game, which apart from giving an extra power, allow the character to take 2 hits. You can also store an additional power-up, so the lack of a health meter is no longer a significant issue. Although there is still a time limit, there is plenty of time to finish each level. Finally, the difficulty of the main game is low to medium. For those looking for a challenge, after completing the main game you unlock the special worlds with higher difficulty (this part is equal in length to the main game).

However, there are a few things which I didn't like about this game, and this is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. At some point, the game becomes repetitive. From the beginning, you will notice that there are only two types of boss fights (with the exception of the last). You might ignore this aspect in the main game, since the other levels are very different. However, many of the levels in the special worlds are variations of the levels in the main game. This might also be acceptable, since it is very difficult to come up with completely new levels in such a game. The problem is that in order to complete the game 100%, you will sometimes have to repeat levels in order to collect all the coins and get the golden flags. But even worse, after completing all the levels with Mario, you will also have to complete them with Luigi. Repeating everything also means hearing "Wahoo", "Wee", "Mah", "Waa", "Aaaah" hundreds of times, and the same music tracks. This might be very annoying for some people.

Another complaint is the lack of a physical manual. Paying 30 pounds for this game, I was expecting to find a proper manual. Not only that the physical manual is missing, but also an important information. If any of the assisting blocks appears (after you die more than 5 times in a row) and you save the game afterwards, you can't finish the game with the "shiny stars" achievement.

To sum things up, I highly recommend this game and apart from the problems mentioned above, I think it is one of the best 3ds games released so far.
  39. Aug 16, 2013
    Easily one of the best Mario games ever and my favorite 3DS game (it's like Super Mario Galaxy mixed with New Super Mario Bros.) if you own a 3DS do yourself a favor and buy it trust me you won't be disappointed.
  40. Jul 18, 2012
    Easily the best original / non-remake Mario game for a portable system. It's very linear which is a blessing and a curse for anyone familiar with Mario games. It means that we don't have the element introduced to us in Mario 64 where you're thrown into a large, open world and you have to figure out what to do yourself. Instead, you just work your way through the levels with not muchEasily the best original / non-remake Mario game for a portable system. It's very linear which is a blessing and a curse for anyone familiar with Mario games. It means that we don't have the element introduced to us in Mario 64 where you're thrown into a large, open world and you have to figure out what to do yourself. Instead, you just work your way through the levels with not much deviation from what the developers intended. I prefer the Mario 64 style but I'm not going to criticize it based off of what it doesn't do, but what it does do. So for a portable, linear Mario game, it's exactly what I expected - a whole new set of levels, enemies, and mechanics such as the boomerang suit, the tanooki suit (this is the first 3D Mario to use the tanooki suit), the propeller box, and probably several others I can't think of at the moment. The controls of this game are generally pretty decent, but trying to get Mario to do the side flip for example can be frustrating. Mario's momentum can also be odd at times. If you don't get a huge running start and keep moving, you may find Mario to be somewhat slow, clunky, and unresponsive. If you jump in the air with no momentum, and try to start moving at the peak of your jump, Mario will barely move at all. Experienced players may find it frustrating that the advanced maneuvers are hard to do, and are scarcely useful anyway. This is an extremely basic and simplistic 3D Mario game. If you want something more than that, go with Mario 64 or the Galaxy games, depending on whether you want to play something nonlinear or linear respectively. Expand
  41. Dec 4, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land is far and near the most pivitol point so far in the nintendo 3DS' life and it shows that love and care clearly went into this game. However that is not to say this game is flawless. Within the game there are many fan based levels which I won't divulge as they could slightly spoil the ambience of playing the levels for the first time. However it feels like Super MarioSuper Mario 3D Land is far and near the most pivitol point so far in the nintendo 3DS' life and it shows that love and care clearly went into this game. However that is not to say this game is flawless. Within the game there are many fan based levels which I won't divulge as they could slightly spoil the ambience of playing the levels for the first time. However it feels like Super Mario 3D Land doesn't appear to know the correct point to stop easing the player into the game with levels only getting gradually more diffivult from world 6 or 7. However this does now damage the fun that is Super Mario 3D land much and with the addition of another set of worlds once you clear the game there's certainly a lot of content. The presentation and graphic style although not the best on the system is certainly stunning with this being a game which the 3D effect compliments so well. Gameplay:9
    Presentation: 8.5
    Graphics:8
    Lasting Appeal: 8.5
  42. Jul 13, 2013
    This game goes under the heading of essential 3DS games to own and play. It's fantastic fun and there is a ton of things to unlock and hunting down 3 stars for every level will take a good while. The later levels are devilish, of course you have a bajillion lives but they are quite tricky. If you don't come away from the very last level cursing toads everywhere you are a super human my friend.
  43. Mar 29, 2013
    Standard Mario fare here, ladies and gentlemen. Very fun on it's own right, but has nothing that would truly set it apart from other Mario games. If you don't mind the lack of innovation, 3D Land is definitely worth a buy.
  44. Apr 10, 2014
    Always been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it'sAlways been a bit skeptical when it comes to 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 is a game that I honestly never totally enjoyed, Super Mario Sunshine was a pain, but the galaxy series was fun but a bit long for my liking Super Mario 3D Land however is a very enjoyable, the level design is superb for every level, & I love the music, one thing that could have been improved is the control, it's not as bad as say Sonic 06, uhh, but the game has sometimes annoying 8-way directional control that allows you to go in one & only one direction which is disappointing when using the circle pad, sometimes I'll push one direction, especially in 2D sections, but due to only being allowed to use the circle pad, I could find myself going in a different direction than I intended, causing me to fall from the platforms to the deep pits below, it's a nit-pick as this hardly ever happens to me, but on those few occasions it was irritating! Expand
  45. Mar 22, 2015
    If Wii Sports was made to show the Wii off, then Super Mario 3D Land was made to show the 3DS off. It may be wrong to compare it to masterpieces like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but whenever the word "3D" is slapped right on the title, one would assume it's in the 3D Mario series. The levels are great but for some reason, Nintendo's opted for gameplay that's closer to the 2D platformers than theIf Wii Sports was made to show the Wii off, then Super Mario 3D Land was made to show the 3DS off. It may be wrong to compare it to masterpieces like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but whenever the word "3D" is slapped right on the title, one would assume it's in the 3D Mario series. The levels are great but for some reason, Nintendo's opted for gameplay that's closer to the 2D platformers than the massive 3D ones. It's not bad by any means but 3D Land feels a bit lacking in the end. Expand
  46. Nov 24, 2011
    Easily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that trulyEasily the finest game the 3DS has to offer and the finest piece of hand held gaming ever made. The level design in this game is awesome and some of the visuals are breathtaking. Unlike some games where I found having the 3D on all the time was a strain on my eyes, this game uses the 3D visuals perfectly and I've never felt the need to turn them off. This is the first game that truly uses the 3D as part of the gameplay, adding depth to puzzles and jumps.

The game gets some criticism for being fairly short but I'd assume these critics haven't played the game fully, as once you've rescued the princess in the first 8 worlds (takes about 6 hours) you can then go on to rescue Luigi in a further 8 Worlds which are much more challenging. To do all the levels and collect all the stars it'll take you about 15-20 hours, which is about the same as what it takes to finish the legendary Ocarina of Time. So there's nothing short or simple about this game.
  47. Feb 12, 2012
    I beat this game tonight very fun Super Mario title. The 3D effects are awesome in which you can change the type of 3D you want, more in depth or popping out in your face. It was fun playing through it the first time but does not have a high amount of replay value. If your into Mario games I suggest Mario Kart 7 due to the online fun factor.
  48. Mar 23, 2014
    Really good mario game but lacks replay value like most of the others. Of course you can unlock harder version of the levels after beating the game but i didn't want to play again when everything is done unlike Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World which are still a blast to play more than 20 years after.
  49. May 13, 2014
    I haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole newI haven't played any Mario games since I was really little and I haven't owned any Nintendo systems for like 12 years, I bought a Nintendo 3DS XL for my upcoming 21st birthday and got Super Mario 3D Land to go with it. First thing nostalgic rush it's exactly how I remember it when I played it as a little kid, even better! This game is very fun to play and with 3D Land opens up a whole new world (literally :P) to explore, the 3D graphics are awesome. But I found this game to be very challenging it's not a bad thing just surprising so be ready for a challenge. And the replayability is good, after you finish a stage there is always something I missed (time clock) and it's fun to collect more coins and go through the same stage and find secrets and the rest of the tokens.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land.
  50. Oct 25, 2014
    Alright, is not super mario galaxy but it doesnt needs to be, this game shines by itself. While we wait for the next mario masterpiece how about a little masterwork by the geniuses at nintendo?
    Never dissapoints, my only complain is that the game is TOO EASY. Remember galaxy had harder extra levels had added punch to us older players.
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the
    You cannot go wrong with mario, this one has the tight controls, great soundtrack, amazing original levels that you expect from the franchise.
  51. Nov 28, 2011
    I just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you'reI just bought a 3DS this weekend and it was the Mario 3DS bundle, so naturally I was hoping that the game that the system came with would be really good, and it's tremendous. Of course, it's a Mario game and if you come in expecting anything different, then of course you may get bored with the game and you may not like it. But for those who know what every Mario game entails, then you're going to absolutely love it. The 3D effects are pretty cool, giving you a couple of different perspectives of how 3D can be used. The game isn't all that difficult, but has any Mario game really been all too challenging? You'll still end up dying over petty things, falling off the level or accidentally jumping into a pit of fire but the game isn't too rough. Expand
  52. Jan 16, 2012
    I think Mario 3d Land is a really fun game and is one of the best 3ds games but it has som flaws:
    1 the game was no challeging enough for me, it wasn´t the easiest game in the world but it was easy at least for me .But later on, after beating the normal worlds you get the special worlds that are more challenging than the normal ones, is good to have a little challange later on but I would like more challange on the normal worlds.
    And the other one are the power ups, basiclly they just added one new power up: the boomerang and the copter block but the copter block is just a copy of the copter suit of new super mario bros wii and you lose it at the end of the stage and really just one brand new power up?! after the tons of new super mario bros wii power ups I expected a lot but no only one.
    But aside that 3d land is a really fun game is a great combination of 3d mario and 2d mario and it has a lot of replay value. I will give it a 8.5 but since there´s no 8.5 in the score bar I give it a 8.
  53. Jun 24, 2014
    So much fun! So much nostalgia. Looks great and loaded with charm and challenge. StreetPass features are pretty worthless, but otherwise a great experience overall. Easily a must-own 3DS title.
  54. Aug 4, 2013
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games. There is not a lot of bad things to say about this game. In general everything is great. It can be frustrating at times, but just like with the majority of Mario games, it gets frustrating because of you, not because of the game. Fortunately, or maybe in
    The first game for the 3DS to really make the 3D essential.

Really good graphics with great gameplay and feel of 3D Mario Games.

Fortunately, or maybe in this case unfortunately, the instances where it gets frustrating are not very many because this is a very easy game. Some of the stages later on can get a bit tougher, but even with extra content unlocked, this game lasted me about 22 hours.

+ Great visuals and 3D
    + Fun Gameplay
    + Easy to play on the go
    + Classic Mario greatness

- Very short game

Despite the game being short, this is still a 10 using this rating system.

A MUST HAVE for every 3DS owner.
  55. Dec 17, 2011
    In my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I amIn my personal opinion, this is the best Mario land so far! The 3D world (both graphics and actual dimensions) are great! The level designers were very clever with hiding the star coins (i still find them pretty quickly, hehe). All in all, i'm impressed. I'm looking forward to a game like Mario World DS(the one where you go inside paintings) in this 3D format. My only complaint, and I am only in world 4, so it might be there, but i haven't seen it, is that Yoshi isn't in the game... Otherwise, great! Expand
  56. Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of theI've had a lot of fun with this title and surprised at how long it has lasted me given that I'm a big Mario fan and played every title to date. I thought as a handheld relatively smaller title, I might burn through it fairly fast but there is a lot more to it. You get a pretty decent array of challenges from seeking out the 3 star coins in each level, plus the alternate version of the levels once you beat the original 8 worlds, plus beating all of it with both Mario & Luigi, and I forget what else is required just to unlock the last secret world on top of everything completed above. I'm still working on it and still enjoying it, just not as much as I did at first but it's holding up well against any of my newer games. I know I'll stick with it until I manage to unlock everything and I think it is my favorite Mario game to date. -1 point for originality though. I would love to see Nintendo come out with a new IP for a change to show off all these platformer variations they come up with on a regular basis, but it works and each Mario is still fun so it's a pretty minor complaint. Expand
  57. Nov 11, 2014
    This is the second 3d Mario game on a handheld, but it flows so much better than the Super Mario 64 DS. It plays so well and the fact that u can play as Green Mario makes it even better.
  58. Nov 16, 2011
    (My actual score is a 9.5)
    (My actual score is a 9.5)
    Super Mario 3D Land is an amazing combination of New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy. Although it may seem easy, the levels are a whole lot of fun, and I couldn't just put this game down! Not to mention the game gets wayyyy harder after you save Princess Peach....It utilizes the 3DS's gyroscope and 3D controls/effect very well, and the levels are shorter so you can play it almost any time. A must have for any 3DS owner and Mario fan!
  59. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario is back and this time the 3d is not a hindrance (as opposed to Mario64 where it was tough to judge distances and jump accordingly.) on first playthrough it felt like it was waaaaaaaaaay too easy but once you beat the first set of levels, you get another set with increased difficulty and surely will challenge diehard run-n-jump players. this game takes a long time to shine but once it kicks in, it revamps the spirit of the mario franchise successfully. the downside is that the level designs didn't hold to any sort of consistency in theme which isn't in itself bad but is indicative of poor designing. for example, you can play on a level that is made out of mattresses and springs and the next level will have you scaling trees and/or cookies. if the themes were consistent, it would have earned a MUCH higher rating. Expand
  60. Aug 22, 2013
    I must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as MarioI must say, Nintendo has outdone itself with this one. Super Mario 3D land is a masterpiece. It utilizes the 3DS's 3D capabilities to its full potential. Couple this with silky smooth gameplay and great music and you have one of the greatest gaming experiences on ANY Nintendo console yet. They also help new players out quite a bit as well so it can be played by rookies as well as Mario veterans. After many deaths the character has the option to get an invincibility suit, which allows enemies to be taken down with ease. If you continue to fail, the game developers allow you to skip to the goal post without any work (known as the P wing). However, to get the full spoils of the level you will have to play at a later date again. Like I said, the game is a masterpiece. It is a must own for any 3DS owner. Expand
  61. Jan 12, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land was played for 18:35 minutes by me.

Super Mario 3D Land was played for 18:35 minutes by me.

So, I was expecting a game like this to come out, a hybrid of SMG1&2 and SM64 with some hints of NSMB in it. It was very good looking, and I went to grab it. As I played the level, I realized a couple of things that may seem awkward for long time Mario game players. Mario is extremely unresponsive when he jumps. This is a big downside because in other games, mario was responsive enough that you could easily dodge and avoid things that were coming at you. Another issue was the amount of levels. It's understandable that the game is linear and takes some more effort to make, but there are only around 5 levels a world, and 8 worlds, so you have a basic 40 levels in the game. That amount of gameplay won't be that much to entertain you, and the difficulty is very low. Now once you have all the star coins in each world though, Another set of 8 bonus worlds open up. It's very difficult to play with the unresponsive controls in those worlds, but that basically adds another 40 levels...BUT you actually get the same (usually) level with a few additions of spikes, time limit, or other things that don't really make it a separate level. I highly recommend this to platforming beginners and people who can find simplicity for their best, as this game is NOT recommended for long time Mario Fans that have mastered the art of platforming and want a challenge.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10
  62. Nov 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a perfect Mario game but I think it is close. It has issues of being to easy at times but makes up for that by adding extra worlds. I like the graphical style a lot and it looks great in 3D and on the 3DS. I like the power ups even if there are too few in my mind, but they choose some really good ones. The game is really fun to play and the game adds an extra level of depth to a 2D Mario Platformer by setting it in a 3D world. I think that if you own a 3DS there is a lot a reasons why you should get this game. Expand
  63. Aug 4, 2012
    The style of platforming this game has is a great, unique idea. It's like a 'side-scrolling 3D platformer'. I would have liked to see the 3DS tech be used more in this game. Super Mario 3D Land is for everyone who complains about every Mario game being too similar. The game includes eight bonus worlds for people who find the main worlds too easy. 8/10.
  64. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is everything I expected and more. I just beat the first 5 worlds and they were great. The graphics, first off, are downright stunning. I know it's only Mario, and the gameplay is way better than the graphics, but I must say, they are the best graphics on the system. The controls are also very good. I have almost no problem with the controls. Maybe once in awhile I fall off of aThis game is everything I expected and more. I just beat the first 5 worlds and they were great. The graphics, first off, are downright stunning. I know it's only Mario, and the gameplay is way better than the graphics, but I must say, they are the best graphics on the system. The controls are also very good. I have almost no problem with the controls. Maybe once in awhile I fall off of a ledge, but it's extremely insignificant. Nintendo is the best at making a game that fits a system perfectly. The 3D is also very good and pops but is a very important component of the experience. It helps with positioning tremendously. The levels are incredibly creative, the controls are nearly perfect and this game is the perfect hybrid of classic Mario and Mario 64. It's also like the perfect hybrid of super Mario 3 and super Mario galaxy. I'm in love with this game. Score: 9.5/10 but since we can only do integers, I gave it a 10. Expand
  65. Apr 14, 2014
    great game but way too short and easy, its clear that this game was aimed for children. the bonus levels they put at the end of the game should of been part of the main game. also, its sometimes hard to tell where mario is and then he falls off the ledge, this happened to me way too many times.
  66. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is interesting. It's basically a mix of the 2D mario platformers and the 3D mario platformers. It is certainly very fun, but there's two things about this game that I heavily dislike, and the only things that make me give this game a 7 instead of the 10 it would have if it weren't for these two things.

1. Lack of difficulty. I blew through this entire game in a week. And yeah,

1. Lack of difficulty. I blew through this entire game in a week. And yeah, along with the special worlds. I actually had to stop myself from playing because otherwise I knew I'd beat it too fast. The levels are easy and the Tanooki Suit basically owns everything, which is why I generally refrained from using Fire Flowers or Boomerang Flowers, or any other power up available in the game, unless I had no choice. Even though this game is fun, they shouldn't make it too easy to "appeal to a younger audience". What kind of audience were they aiming for when they made Super Mario Bros 3, then? That game was pretty difficult and I'm pretty sure that it was also meant for kids. Anyways, the second thing that bothers me: 2. The level design. It's pretty dang rare to find a level in this game that has actual terrain instead of floating blocks. Ignoring the castle levels, it IS pretty rare. They seriously could've done better than this. Super Mario 64? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore. Super Mario Sunshine? Beautiful terrain that is fun to explore! Super Mario Galaxy? Amazing terrain that is also pretty but it still looked great because it actually looked like something. Super Mario 3D Land terrain? ...What terrain? No seriously, if you check a few gameplay videos on the internet, you will find 90% of the levels being floating blocks. It's terrible. They SERIOUSLY could've done better than...THIS. Sorry, but I just can't stress this enough: Who saw this and thought it was an okay thing to do? ANYTHING would've been better than a bunch of floating blocks, ANYTHING. Anyways, aside from these two things this is a fun to play game and I truly reccommend it.
  67. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Mario game I seem to realize it's always the same story Bow ser kidnaps Peach like always anyway the game itself:

the levels are really small and colourful if you played the Super Mario Galaxy's some of the levels are cop yed from that game and onto this game either re-edit or made up.

it's the same you plot through levels after levels collecting these ring like things to advance through more levels.

So basic ly it's the same as you would expect from Super Mario Galaxy just with newly power ups, it's a try game for the Mario fans.

Note note; can be a bit tab of short in game play!
  68. Jun 18, 2014
    Vacating exploration for precision platforming galore, 3D Land ambitiously restates Mario's undertaking in the third dimension to great success. Late game challenges will demand untold accuracy of the omnidirectional Mario, sometimes causing intended actions to fluff and ultimately become the biggest obstacle of all.
  69. Apr 30, 2013
    This is best of the Mario 3DS games. It has really cool power-ups, awesome levels, cool adventures, really classic 3D and lots of secrets to find and shortcuts to skip through levels. That is why I rate it 10/10. You can get the cool photos from completing the worlds and put them in your photo app.
  70. Apr 8, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land is not only one of the most fun platformers I've played, it is one of the better 3DS games available. The graphics are gorgeous, and the difficulty slowly increases allowing for both skilled and rookie gamers to enjoy themselves. Fail a stage too many times, and you will get the option to unlock items at the beginning of the level that help you complete it without anySuper Mario 3D Land is not only one of the most fun platformers I've played, it is one of the better 3DS games available. The graphics are gorgeous, and the difficulty slowly increases allowing for both skilled and rookie gamers to enjoy themselves. Fail a stage too many times, and you will get the option to unlock items at the beginning of the level that help you complete it without any trouble by offering invincibility for extended periods of time.

Personally, I found the first half of the game fairly easy, and was worried, but the second half is far more difficult and it is very rewarding when you finally beat a level that has killed you ten times in a row. The level design is quite good, although some of the best elements are only used on one or two stages.
  71. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a tremendous amount of fun! It has everything you want on a game.Great controls, visuals, character and sound.If you own a 3DS and you dont have it go running to your store and buy it
  72. Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, hey! Said what? I like this one! All models were from Super Mario Galaxy. 30 FPS is not problem. Truly fun, perfect 3D presentation as the first Nintendo 3DS game. No 3D Land, no 3DS.
  73. Jul 25, 2013
    Wow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn'tWow, I thought I was fed up with Mario titles. I thought I had grown past them. For some reason I ignored this title's existence for the 1st year owning my 3DS. What a freaking mistake! A co worker set me straight by, after a discussion about this game, lending me the cartridge for one day. Needless to say when I had to hand it back to him, I also got myself a copy immediately. I couldn't let it go anymore. The use of the 3DS's amazing 3D capabilities is simply exceptional. Level design is brilliant. Camera movements are virtually perfect. While the Mario sidescrollers have gotten old for me, this kind of title is a reminder Nintendo are still veterans of good level design and great game mechanics and can still manage a hit like is Super Mario 3D Land! Expand
  74. Mar 18, 2014
    Mario has definitely come a long way on handhelds, and this is proof of that. This game is the best handheld mario experience to date, and will hopefully get even better. The game has incredible level design only matched on the console versions of mario, such as Galaxy and 3D World.
    Pros; -Level design (It has the best level design on any handheld mario game, and is almost perfect)
    - Presentation (The game boasts very vivid and eye-pleasing colors, and the 3D is great)
    - Replay Value (This is a game that you will want to play many times while waiting for something, like the bus)
    Cons; - Difficulty (The game can be very easy once you get the jist of the game)
    - Content (It took me 28 hours to 100% the game, and has been done in much less time by others)
    Overall, the game is the best handheld mario game on the market, and it's almost obligatory to own this game. If you don't already have it, do yourself a favor and buy this unique handheld mario game that will hopefully pave the way for future mario releases.
  75. Oct 7, 2014
    Awesome and really fun game. If you have 3DS you must get this. Definitely one of the best 3DS games. The first few levels might be boring and easy, but it gets awesome and fun really quickly.
  76. Aug 5, 2013
    Pretty fun game. Most of the game is very easy but there are few hard levels. I like music in this game and graphics are almost as good as in Super Mario Galaxy. What I didn't like was the controls. Why can't I use d-pad? Circle Pad is pretty clunky but I got used to it.
  77. Oct 27, 2012
    Awesome! The best 3D, I've ever saw, and despite what some people says, it's really useful, so much that when you turn it off, it seems something is missing, and then you have to turn the 3D on again. Great game, i had more than 15 hours of fun, and i haven't collected all medals yet.
  78. Apr 13, 2014
    an insanely easy mario game that brings absolutely nothing new to the table besides ruining 3d mario forever. Seriously the easiness of this game is laughable.
  79. Dec 18, 2011
    Okay, I'll admit that Mario games and myself have been on the outs since Super Mario 64. Lucky for me, there have been other games outside of the main series platformers, so I'm not living an entirely Mario-free life. The reason why is simple: Camera Screw. I can't stand games with camera screw. While Super Mario 3D Land is most definitely better about this than pretty much everyOkay, I'll admit that Mario games and myself have been on the outs since Super Mario 64. Lucky for me, there have been other games outside of the main series platformers, so I'm not living an entirely Mario-free life. The reason why is simple: Camera Screw. I can't stand games with camera screw. While Super Mario 3D Land is most definitely better about this than pretty much every Mario-themed platforming game with better-than-mild 3D worlds, it still suffers from this crippling disease. Symptoms of strange, inconsistent controls, death-by-camera, Indiana Jones syndrome (as in 'Why am I looking backwards at the thing I'm trying to run from instead of looking forward so I can evade obstacles in my path?'), inflated boss difficulty, inflated jump difficulty and suicidal hero are all present and accounted for. Happily, unlike many of it's predecessors, these issues are more moderated, and I could tell that it had been tweaked to minimize the very complaints I have. Unfortunately, minimization isn't elimination. Granted, I only rarely had to use the camera controls, and the fact that you can rack up an incredible number of lives not even playing seriously does help a great deal, but I shouldn't need so many lives, and I should never need to mess with the camera either. Worse, when I felt I did need camera help, the controls were usually locked, and when they weren't, they were so minimal that they provided no help whatsoever, except in a very few cases. Many of the levels also triggered my fear of heights as well. Seriously, why do so many levels have to look like they're a mile or more in the air? All in all, it's a great stride forward in making a better modern platformer Mario game that appeals to people like myself, but the continued camera screw continued to detract from the experience. A step in the right direction to be sure, but not out of the yellow for me. Expand
  80. Jan 29, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land has lovely graphics, fun gameplay, and a game definitely worth buying. The fact that this game was MEANT to be played in 3D further proves my point.
  81. Jan 25, 2013
    After feeling disappointed with Galaxy 2, 3D Land was exactly what I needed from Mario. The controls are tight, the visuals and music are beautiful, and on top of that it is probably one of the most extensive Mario games in years. With secret words the game features a whopping 16 worlds. Add on all the Star coins to collect, the time runs to beat, and classic Mario fun and you haveAfter feeling disappointed with Galaxy 2, 3D Land was exactly what I needed from Mario. The controls are tight, the visuals and music are beautiful, and on top of that it is probably one of the most extensive Mario games in years. With secret words the game features a whopping 16 worlds. Add on all the Star coins to collect, the time runs to beat, and classic Mario fun and you have yourself a great Nintendo experience. Expand
  82. Mar 28, 2012
    Super Mario 3D Land is Nintendo's best platformer yet. It perfectly blends 2D and 3D platforming. The result? Another Mario Masterpiece. What else can I say? Well, the graphics look great for a handheld, the music is catchy, and the level design is brilliant. If you own a 3DS, you must buy this game, period.
  83. May 3, 2013
    Looked good but most the levels was very easy to figure out and do, non the levels was quite hard has Mario Galaxy was.

So if you must know it was a straight one linear game that's what you Mario fans get nothing to hard to do and same boring story as usual like Bowser kipnapps Peach yet again yawn. Most of his moves was gone too eg the backflip move anyway can't remember all them

Most of his moves was gone too eg the backflip move anyway can't remember all them but they was not on this game unlike Mario 64.
  84. Nov 26, 2013
    This game is freaking overrated I swear sly cooper and the thievious raccoonus is a better game. I have hatred that sly is ruined in February 2013 and sanzaru did a good job with the hd collection. Go play mario 64 ds I can't stand it pokemon is better than this crud.
  85. Feb 27, 2012
    I can't stop playing this game. A perfect platform game for the first real Mario game for the 3DS. Nintendo knows how to make incredible use of the 3D and have created a genuine must have for the new system. This game is why you need a 3DS.
  86. Apr 30, 2012
    Having played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but neverHaving played Mario games for 28 years now, I have jumped on a few Goombas and kicked a few shells. That being said, I found 3D land to be one of my favourites of all time. Yes, it's a cut down version of Galaxy, but hey, it's on a handheld. Excellent menu for quickly jumping in and playing any level you feel like, great outfits/abilities. The game is quite tricky at times but never punishes you to a point where you want to stop playing. If you are having trouble it even assists with some very special items so even casual gamers can get a lot of joy. I finished the first play through with 112 lives remaining, but the fun doesn't stop with rescuing Peach. Plenty of replay value for those with the time. Solid 10 Expand
  87. Jul 4, 2012
    after about 15 hours of play and still a few more stages to finish off with the 2nd character just cleaning up I'm still amazed by just how good this game is, really just such a beautiful looking and handling game, it's just funny to hear people crying about rehashs when this game sets itself apart from every other game in the series outside of the obvious, you are playing as mario and aafter about 15 hours of play and still a few more stages to finish off with the 2nd character just cleaning up I'm still amazed by just how good this game is, really just such a beautiful looking and handling game, it's just funny to hear people crying about rehashs when this game sets itself apart from every other game in the series outside of the obvious, you are playing as mario and a mushroom makes you grow aspects of it there is so much time put into making this the AAA mario title that every 3ds owner should pick up, and you can happily disregard the 36 negative reviews on here from such people as "nintedohater" "mariosucks" and "nintendohasgamesbutmyvitadoesn'twahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" because yeah, they're all just angrily written by people enraged that nintendo has struck gold yet again, both gameplay wise and the fact that their fans are willing to pay for the amazing games they produce. Expand
  88. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is a family game and its age limit is E, which means everyone. You can also guarantee 100%, this game has no violence in it what so ever. Mario
  89. Nov 13, 2011
    Super Mario 3D Land delivers a awesome 3D experience with great game play we expect from Mario. Everything is top notch for a portable experience and I can't put it down. I can't give it a 9.7 on here, so it's rounded up to 10. Buy it!
  90. Apr 9, 2014
    Super Mario 3D Land seems to be mixed by a lot of people. The game has a 64 feeling to it, yet has a different touch as well. The game overall is pretty good. What it lacks is a replay value. Once you beat it...you beat it. 8/10
  91. Nov 13, 2011
    Another outstanding mario game! If you like Mario 64, Galaxy 1, or Galaxy 2...I think you'll enjoy this game too. The gameplay is fun and crazy (I about pooped my pants when I first saw Bowser with a tanooki tail!). The 3D actually looks very good in this game, for once I found myself playing with it on more than off.
  92. Dec 11, 2011
    Oh mario am getting quite sick and tried playing same thing over over again. Tell peach to get a restraining order out on bowser because clearly hes got issues. Play one mario game then you've played them all. Am sorry i just wanted play sumthing fresh new and i just didnt see enough in your newest adventure to get excited over. While everything looked lovely and 3D looked great. I justOh mario am getting quite sick and tried playing same thing over over again. Tell peach to get a restraining order out on bowser because clearly hes got issues. Play one mario game then you've played them all. Am sorry i just wanted play sumthing fresh new and i just didnt see enough in your newest adventure to get excited over. While everything looked lovely and 3D looked great. I just felt like ive done this all before. I hoping we were gonna see other step forward like we did in mario galaxy. But what we got was one step forward 4 steps back:( Expand
  93. Jun 9, 2014
    When it comes to platform games Nintendo really know what they are doing and Super Mario 3D Land is a worthy addition to the Mario franchise. Gorgeous graphics,great music, well thought out level design, and a simple but effective control system.
    While it's not my favourite 3ds game I can certainly understand that it would be a favourite game for many.
    9/10.
  94. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after all of these years most mario games on handhelds have been in 2D sidescroling. but then nintendo ended this streak with super mario 3D land on the 3DS. The first original 3D super mario game on a handheld console. The game looks great in graphics, the 3D effect sometimes helps you play the game, everything just feels better with the 3D on. the gameplay is like a mixture of super mario 64, super mario galaxy, and new super mario bros, it's a 3D mario game that plays like a 2D mario game, so you walk through levels like super mario 64 or galaxy and end the level by touching the flagpole, no looking for shine sprites or power stars to finish the level, nope you just touch the flagpole, I really like this blend of gameplay and think that it really works well. This game also brings back the tanooki suit from super mario bros 3, and I really like that they brought a classic power up into a 3D world. the 3D effect has two levels, pop out 3D where the images look like they're popping off the screen, and depth 3D the images look like you're looking at them from a window. the 3D helps you with the game because there are some puzzles that can only be solved if the 3D effect is on, the illusions like a bunch of boxes and one box is far away but looks like it's with all of the other boxes. These illusions were very cool and it really made the game a lot better. just like the other mario games, the story is simple, Princess peach has been kidnapped by bowser and mario has to save her. There are 8 worlds and 8 special worlds that get unlocked after completing the main game. you also can hunt down star coins which are hidden in levels to unlock more levels in the special worlds, this adds a lot of replay value to the game. the star coins aren't just used to unlock levels in the special worlds, they also unlock castles in world 5 and world 8. by the way, let's talk about the bosses, in castles world 5 and 8 you fight bowser, and the rest of the worlds have starships just like super mario bros 3, and the boss of the starships is some guy who just spins around untill he gets dizzy. all in all this is a great mario game and is a must have for all 3DS owners, it's not as good as good as the super mario galaxy games but it's pretty close. Expand
  95. Nov 27, 2013
    A nice first experience for Mario's first dive into the latest handheld. The gameplay is unique and fun, the 3D works wonders, and the atmosphere is very Mario-like.
  96. Nov 22, 2014
    The weakest entry in the 3D Mario platformer series, but that's not a bad thing. It's on a handheld and all the 3D Mario games are really good, this game was so good that I 100% it. But still, it was really easy. If you are looking for a nice challenge it's not here, the Special worlds are more challenging, but I breezed through the levels no problem. Also the Special Worlds are the sameThe weakest entry in the 3D Mario platformer series, but that's not a bad thing. It's on a handheld and all the 3D Mario games are really good, this game was so good that I 100% it. But still, it was really easy. If you are looking for a nice challenge it's not here, the Special worlds are more challenging, but I breezed through the levels no problem. Also the Special Worlds are the same levels you already did with some differences. Good entry in the 3d Mario Platformers, but not as good as 64 or Galaxy. 3D World on the Wii U is better than this game Expand
  97. Dec 11, 2012
    Having just 100% completed this game I can say with confidence it is one of the greatest Mario games ever made and the best handheld game available on the market. It is both a homage to the old and the new, an amalgamation of 25 years of Mario and a beautifully responsive game that delivers both to new and old players.

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more

The game starts off incredibly easy and becomes gradually more difficult, the special worlds for example are a challenge to complete and I've been playing Mario for 20 years and I found some of them challenging. Attaining the fabled "5 star save file" is a challenge in itself and I achieved this last night.

Oh and the game is in 3D or something but I don't care about that.
  98. Apr 10, 2015
    Solid plattformer, without the quality thad made the series great, and without any innovations or especially well gameplay, level design, graphics or 3D.
    Pretty much feels like New Super Mario Bros in small 3D environments, which definitely isnt a bad thing, and i can certainly see people having fun with this game, but as the systems primary Mario game, it did disappoint me.
    All in

All in all, 80/100 points, for still being one of the best plattformers on the system...
  99. Mar 27, 2013
    This is no doubt WHY you should buy a 3DS, and is the best game on the system. Every aspect of the game is fun. Just makes me anxious for a Mario Sunshine sequel on the system.
  100. May 29, 2012
    Without a doubt the best 3D single-player Mario game there is as of yet (3D as in not 2D [Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, is what I mean with 2D and Super Mario 64 is 3D]). It's perfect for anyone who's enjoyed any previous Super Mario games.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Mario is back! In a classic Mario-fashion you jump your way througheight worlds, where you battle goombas, koopas and the main meaniehimself, Bowser. This game is never particularly difficult, butgradually advanced to a challenge that feels just perfect. Fun, varied and guaranteed to make you smile.
    Lifesaver for all Nintendo 3DS owners. Super Mario 3D Land delivers flawless design and perfect use of 3D effects during the whole game. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    The Nintendo 3DS has had a slow start, but I feel this marks one of the first important games to come out on this system. I can't say it's a must buy, but is really close for those who have already picked up a 3DS. The amount of content in this game along with the varying degree of gameplay makes this one of the best Mario games I've played in a while.