Tekken 3D Prime Edition 3DS

5.9

1. Jul 13, 2012
    This is the first Tekken game that I have played. It has (what could be) the best gameplay in a fighting game that I have ever played. But there is one major problem: it has no single player modes to go with it. The lack of any kind of arcade mode is really quite astonoshing and really makes the game worse than it could've been. I haven't seen the movie that comes with it, but I hear itThis is the first Tekken game that I have played. It has (what could be) the best gameplay in a fighting game that I have ever played. But there is one major problem: it has no single player modes to go with it. The lack of any kind of arcade mode is really quite astonoshing and really makes the game worse than it could've been. I haven't seen the movie that comes with it, but I hear it isn't that great. The online and multi-player modes are good, what you'd expect, but you'd at least think they'd let someone choose to play it in 3D (which is actually very good), I'd rather have it in 3D than 60fps. Overall, it's clearly a very good fighting game, but the lack of any kind of arcade mode (or just more single player modes) really was not a good decision on Namco's part. It is a decent alternative to Street Fighter or Dead or Alive, but either of those two will offer more value for money. Expand
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    There was absolutely almost no effort put into Tekken 3D : Prime Edition.
    The content in this game is little.
    **** there is not even an Arcade mode.
    No Arcade mode in a 2D fighting game is like a KFC that doesnt sell chicken.
    The game is only saved by its gameplay and graphics
    The gameplay is great and so is the graphics
  3. Feb 23, 2012
    The single player aspect was lost in this version of Tekken. This could have been so much more with a good story mode. Instead you get Quick Battle mode and absolutely no CG cut scenes that made the Tekken series shine. The graphics are really sharp and the 3d does work well for this game. I give it a five due to the fact that there is not much of a single player experience here.
  4. Feb 23, 2012
    This game needs a single player mode. There is no incentive to play this game. I want the satisfaction of playing through arcade mode and unlocking a new character or unlocking a cut scene involving the character I just fought through the arcade mode with.
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    Tekken 3D Prime Edition is disappointing. That's the only way I can sum such a lazy and unoriginal port up. No single player story, no incentivised content outside collectible cards, (with admittedly admirable attempts at using streetpass) lagging and anaemic multiplayer options, no new characters. There's just no real selling point to 3D Prime Edition for true Tekken fans. But the gameTekken 3D Prime Edition is disappointing. That's the only way I can sum such a lazy and unoriginal port up. No single player story, no incentivised content outside collectible cards, (with admittedly admirable attempts at using streetpass) lagging and anaemic multiplayer options, no new characters. There's just no real selling point to 3D Prime Edition for true Tekken fans. But the game does redeem itself for actually portraying a decent Tekken game within its gameplay and graphics. Though stages are few and far too repetitive, the grapphics themselves are true to what we've come to know from Tekken games. The gameplay also retains the fast paced juggles and relentless grapple moves we've come to know. In short T3DPE is a good Tekken game wrapped up in a lazy, docile and derivative port. Not even the free Tekken Blood Vengeance short film can save such a meagre offering. Expand
  6. Dec 27, 2013
    tekken 3D might interest some people by letting you play tekken on the go but trust me: this game is awful. theres only 2 modes so you'll run out of things to do quick and the collectable cards aren't a good reason to keep on playing since they're completely useless. the best part about this game is the movie. which is so bad its amazing.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    Sure it moves fast (60 fps If I'm not mistaken), even when the 3-D is on. But NAMCO seems to be making a conversion with the least amount of effort. Soul Calibur V is a great fighter but with minimal amount of extras. Tekken 3-D feels like a 'lazy conversion', with the TEKKEN animated movie (which is of average quality) included. If you want Tekken on the go, then get this game. CasualSure it moves fast (60 fps If I'm not mistaken), even when the 3-D is on. But NAMCO seems to be making a conversion with the least amount of effort. Soul Calibur V is a great fighter but with minimal amount of extras. Tekken 3-D feels like a 'lazy conversion', with the TEKKEN animated movie (which is of average quality) included. If you want Tekken on the go, then get this game. Casual fans, beware. Expand
  8. Feb 24, 2012
    First, let me say this game has great gameplay tthat rivals that of the console editions. However, there is MANY things that hold it back drastically. First, the game lacks polish and the bottom screen seems very... bare and the graphics are ok, but aren't up to standard of Street Fighter 3d of Dead Or Alive Dimensions. There is a lack of modes, and there isn't even a regular vs mode ORFirst, let me say this game has great gameplay tthat rivals that of the console editions. However, there is MANY things that hold it back drastically. First, the game lacks polish and the bottom screen seems very... bare and the graphics are ok, but aren't up to standard of Street Fighter 3d of Dead Or Alive Dimensions. There is a lack of modes, and there isn't even a regular vs mode OR training mode. Also, the "Cards" given for winning battles are boring and serve absolutely no point. Finally, online play sucks due to constant lag. Beware this game, I might not even recommend rent. Expand
  9. Jan 9, 2015
    Tekken Prime 3D is a good, portable version of Tekken. However - it should not be your main Tekken version. It complements the home console version in supporting most of the characters and moves. From a technical standpoint it is rock-solid.

Where it falls short, though - and this is so obvious that it literally hits you in the face within the first hour of playing - is the lack of modes, most prominently absent is an Arcade Mode and a Tutorial mode which makes this version difficult for newcomers.

As a rather bad Tekken player, I use it mainly as a training tool, since most of the moves, timing and ranges work on the big version as well and I can train anywhere. Since Tekken is such a deep fighting game that requires a lot of practice, this makes Tekken Prime 3D a recommendation for serious Tekken players.

The included movie "Blood Vengeance" is pretty bad, the production is nice, but the story does not make any sense whatsoever, but at least it's somewhat consistent with the Tekken game story line, watch it once and forget about it.
  10. Feb 16, 2012
    I was looking forward to Tekken on 3DS. Unfortunately, it's a huge disappointment . The game is lacking any single player options. There are just survival and versus modes. No real arcade mode, no story mode, no tag mode, no funny modes like volleyball. All characters are unlocked from the beginning, so there is no motivation to play the game. No character customization, no intro/outroI was looking forward to Tekken on 3DS. Unfortunately, it's a huge disappointment . The game is lacking any single player options. There are just survival and versus modes. No real arcade mode, no story mode, no tag mode, no funny modes like volleyball. All characters are unlocked from the beginning, so there is no motivation to play the game. No character customization, no intro/outro videos for characters, nothing. The only thing you are receiving in survival mode are the cards for the StreetPass mode. Cards are mostly screen shots from the movie, and there is no reason to collect these - just pictures, no game included with them like was in SSFIV3D with figures.
    Multiplayer options are also limited, friend and ranked match. But even friend match cannot be customized much (ie. no handicap), and the menu is not really user friendly as you do not see if the other player is changing the character or confirmed rematch between matches. And what's even worse - the online mode is lagging all the time even when there are just few players playing at this time. And I should also mention that 3D is not working in multiplayer.
    It's so sad, because the gameplay itself is great. It's Tekken on handheld. Graphics are great, sounds are great, 3D effect (in single player) is nice. But there is nothing to play.

There is also a "3D" movie - Tekken: Blood Vengeance - included in a package. But the 3D effect is not visible there, only thing in 3D are the subtitles. Also, when you pause the movie and exit it the game does not remember the position after you return to it and is starting from the beginning. Which is annoying on a handheld device.

Overall, Tekken 3D Prime Edition is not worth the full price. It's not a game. It's just a tech-demo.

1. Apr 16, 2012
    It's a Tekken game, but stripped bare. That's all anyone ever really needs to know.
  2. games(TM)
    Mar 24, 2012
    There's next to nothing for solo brawlers to do. [Issue#120, p.108]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Mar 22, 2012
    The competition exceeds this utterly unnecessary game in all aspects. Meatless games are not a main course anymore. [March 2012]