7.8

1. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game that is a bit slow paced in the beginning. I highly recommend this to all FF and Donjon Crawling fans :D...the difficulty is also very high, which is something that people like me enjoy

Gameplay: 7/10
    Story: 8/10
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 7.5/10
    Length: 7.5/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    This game, while light on story just kept pulling me forward with the fun of it. The job system is excellent and you can really make it work for your style, although most people use a traditional team in the end. The strange thing about my experience was that I accidentally beat it. I was playing through this to pass time until another game's release, and I didn't realize I had went past aThis game, while light on story just kept pulling me forward with the fun of it. The job system is excellent and you can really make it work for your style, although most people use a traditional team in the end. The strange thing about my experience was that I accidentally beat it. I was playing through this to pass time until another game's release, and I didn't realize I had went past a point of no return, with no save points anywhere. So, I decided to just keep playing until I died. I beat every mini boss and the final boss instead. So, I guess it was a good oops.
    Art: 8
    Music: 7
    Story: 6
    Gameplay: 8
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Never played the original but really like the remake. The graphics and characters are lovely, the battle system is good with a job system, that succeds.
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    A remake of an incredible JRPG for the NES. However, a number of gameplay changes caused the game to lose its charm. Battles are way too slow compared to the NES version and the weak hardware of the DS results in frame rate problems.
  5. Sep 5, 2012
    This game is hard for me to review because personally it isn't my favorite but I still know how important it is. Final Fantasy 3 is really for the die hard FF player only, the game is seriously challenging and very time consuming for a SNES title. I have to be honest, for its' time this game was extremely well written and pretty much brought FF to life (NES didn't have as much attention).This game is hard for me to review because personally it isn't my favorite but I still know how important it is. Final Fantasy 3 is really for the die hard FF player only, the game is seriously challenging and very time consuming for a SNES title. I have to be honest, for its' time this game was extremely well written and pretty much brought FF to life (NES didn't have as much attention). I don't think the graphics are on par with Chrono Trigger and the battles are pretty generic, with little to no animation. With that being said, if your up for the challenge this game presents it, especially the end!!! Expand
  6. Feb 23, 2012
    Average User Score: 7.6
    7 It's not bad, but not astounding. Final Fantasy is known for having very high production values, but this remake for the DS isn't quite up to speed it seems. Honestly, if only uses 1 screen for most of the game, and no attempts to update the classic but ancient JRPG formula have been made. This makes it somewhat repetitive at times and may turn
    Average User Score: 7.6
    It's not bad, but not astounding. Final Fantasy is known for having very high production values, but this remake for the DS isn't quite up to speed it seems. Honestly, if only uses 1 screen for most of the game, and no attempts to update the classic but ancient JRPG formula have been made. This makes it somewhat repetitive at times and may turn newcomers off, as and even the best tactician will probably have to grind to get through this game. Still despite all this, FFIII uses a lot of creative and fun concepts in its gameplay, the shining example of this being the job system. This system alone brings unlimited strategic depth to your combat team, almost like pokemon. To sum it up, this game is a remake, but the graphics (which are still bad) are basically the only thing that has been modernized, and it can feel like a very monotonous game at times. Nevertheless, RPG fans will find this game decent, and it still has that FF atmosphere we all know and love.
  7. Jan 4, 2011
    The old school masterpiece Final Fantasy III finally gets localized and was it worth the wait? Yes!
    Modern fans might be put off by its classic mechanics and rough difficulty spike but if things like that don't bother you, what will be found is a deep and rewarding nostalgic RPG with a good challenge.
    The music and graphics are modernized but still have the intended classic feel which is always nice for a remake. The story although hasn't aged well over the years is still pretty interesting and even if it is rather predictable and the main characters who where not explained all too well in the original are given interesting personalities and are fleshed out in a great manner over the course of the storyline and you get a real sense of what each of them is going through. Any fan of Final Fantasy or fans of old school RPGs from the late 1980s to early 1990s should definitely take a look at this great title.
  8. Nov 4, 2010
    Final Fantasy III is one of the hardest games I've ever played in any genre, so be prepared for a real challenge when you begin your quest, especially when you're trying to finish the game. The new job system is a cool change, and the return to XP after FFII is welcome. FFIII is certainly an improvement upon the first two games, but I'm telling you to be careful and commit a time block toFinal Fantasy III is one of the hardest games I've ever played in any genre, so be prepared for a real challenge when you begin your quest, especially when you're trying to finish the game. The new job system is a cool change, and the return to XP after FFII is welcome. FFIII is certainly an improvement upon the first two games, but I'm telling you to be careful and commit a time block to level grinding when you play, probably at least 15-20 minutes of grinding every other play session or so. It's necessary. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2010
    Not the best port, yes they updated the graphics and all but the game could have a received a better treatment. I guess some games don't translate well into modern graphics.
  10. Aug 31, 2010
    Square pull it off once again with the DS remake of Final Fantasy III. An RPG that wasn't originally released in US and UK has now been remade into a 2-million-selling must-have for a wide audience. Perfect for the DS, this single-player old school RPG has a plot expected of a 20 year old game; 4 "chosen" orphans who go out on a mission when instructed by crystals to cave the world.Square pull it off once again with the DS remake of Final Fantasy III. An RPG that wasn't originally released in US and UK has now been remade into a 2-million-selling must-have for a wide audience. Perfect for the DS, this single-player old school RPG has a plot expected of a 20 year old game; 4 "chosen" orphans who go out on a mission when instructed by crystals to cave the world. Simple, effective, fun.
    The game in itself has been described by many as too difficult for the casual gamer. I for one found it easy, but this may be due to the fact that I use the levelling system (the more battles you win, the stronger your characters become) and level up as much as possible before entering, for example, a new cave, or a new part of the landscape where monsters (who appear in "random battles", which occur while on the world map) may be tougher than in previous locations. This is a key feature in the game; if you do not level up enough, you will suffer and have increased difficulty progressing. Online features (such as mailing other players whose individual game codes you have collected) allow opportunities for side quests, of which there is many. This adds some extra hours onto the end of the game.
    The game has a low age rating. There is no explicit language or scenes, but the violence which occurs with swords and other weapons could become a problem amongst younger players, earning the game a PEGI 12+ age rating.
    The game includes about 25 solid hours of gameplay, and if one wishes, an extra 5 hours minimum of side quests. The dungeons aren't too long, and advancing doesn't take too much time, although increasing levels for ease of progression may become a chore, as enemies can be quite repetitive. There is often a case of tapping the A button repeatedly for as many battles as it takes to level up enough to be able to defeat the next boss. Boss fights can be hard, although the final boss was a disappointment, and at a character level that wasn't too drastic, I found the final boss relatively easy, defeating it about 5 minutes in on my first try. One can save at any point on the world map, as long as you are not in a battle or a conversation. There are also places in dungeons (often appropriately placed just before boss battles) where you can save the game and heal up your characters, which is often a point where you may find your self relaxing, knowing that you can retry a boss battle without having to go through the entire dungeon again. There is also a "Quicksave" feature; you can do this in any dungeon or town, which literally pauses the game, while you turn the DS off.
    There is replay value in the form of Job systems and online-triggered side quests. The job system is a feature of the game where you choose what kind of skills you want each of your characters to gain with progress. These include general fighters, mages, ninjas, etc., all of which have different and vital abilities.
    The game is easily controlled with the D-pad. I didn't at any point find myself wishing the touch screen had more use, which is admirable. It is easy to control, and you will quickly become accustomed to navigating through menus, the world map and the battle system.
    Graphics are amazing; characters are distinctly different, and appearance changes with your choice of Job. The environment is amazing also, and while not realistic, the system makes full use of the DS' technicality and the developers have produced a graphics system which has been used in other successful games since. Computer animation is up to par and the colourful cartoon-esque world is perfect for DS and Final Fantasy.
    There is no voice acting; one of the biggest disappointments of the game. On the other hand, a masterful soundtrack and appropriate sound effects live up to Final Fantasy standards.
    CGI scenes are just the same graphically, but from different angles and close-ups. The amazing CGI scene which starts on the main menu is astounding. Realistic (for the DS) and just something every game needs; a perfect start-up video to give a taste of the entire game.
    This game is greatly under-rated. Every aspect seems perfect, and the Square team have really done a great job, as is evident with 2 million sales. At the moment it is listed as the DS' 32nd best selling game. The game has been a success; over 1,000 games have been released for the DS and only around 60 have been million-sellers.
    9/10. Why? Although being a brilliant and worthwhile game, and it is a remake so there is little expectancy for this, there is nothing new; nothing to make the player feel they are experiencing something no other game has done before.
  11. JeremyS
    Aug 21, 2009
    First and foremost, this is a Famicom game with a graphical overhaul. Besides this and a small tweaking to the story to accommodate some difficulty curve, very little else has been changed. Rightfully so the game is extremely difficult, and some of the time completely unfair. The final boss/dungeon is excruciatingly hard, but my lord when you have defeated the Cloud of Darkness you will First and foremost, this is a Famicom game with a graphical overhaul. Besides this and a small tweaking to the story to accommodate some difficulty curve, very little else has been changed. Rightfully so the game is extremely difficult, and some of the time completely unfair. The final boss/dungeon is excruciatingly hard, but my lord when you have defeated the Cloud of Darkness you will raise your fist in victory and sing Hallelujah! The reward of beating this game is what makes it worth the purchase (It is now a budget title at $19.99) However, If you are not completely compelled to get from start to finish, this game may not be for you. You have been warned. Expand
  12. ScottW
    Feb 27, 2008
    The negative reviews of this game really goes to show how gamers are being spoonfed and led by the hand in games these days. The lack of save points added a bit more excitement for me...every battle was crucial, one wrong move and you're in deep trouble. Although being beaten by the final boss aafter slugging it in the tower for 3-4 hours is a hard pill to swallow...Regardless, The negative reviews of this game really goes to show how gamers are being spoonfed and led by the hand in games these days. The lack of save points added a bit more excitement for me...every battle was crucial, one wrong move and you're in deep trouble. Although being beaten by the final boss aafter slugging it in the tower for 3-4 hours is a hard pill to swallow...Regardless, it's nice to see an RPG that properly challenges the gamer. It's looking and sounding beautiful on the DS now. Brilliant remaster. Expand
  13. WillyG.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Man its terrible compared to all the modern FF games. Theres almost no character development, no plot twists, extremely predictable storyline(not to mention extremely cliched and old). Im glad the new FF games are so much better. Also, you can only save on the world map, which is terrible at the end of the game when you have to go up in a tower for 3 hours. The final boss is very hard so Man its terrible compared to all the modern FF games. Theres almost no character development, no plot twists, extremely predictable storyline(not to mention extremely cliched and old). Im glad the new FF games are so much better. Also, you can only save on the world map, which is terrible at the end of the game when you have to go up in a tower for 3 hours. The final boss is very hard so if you lose you have to repeat those 3 hours again and hope that you do better the next time. I was getting ready to destroy my DS at this point. I recommend that if you REALLY REALLY want a handheld FF game, then you should get it, or if you have never played a different FF game before like 7 8 9 10 you might like this. Otherwise its a pretty terrible game. Expand
  14. ChristineW.
    Sep 16, 2007
    It's more difficult than most FF games which is a good thing. I love the graphics and the opening before the game start is so pretty looking! It's extremely easy to die in this game and Phoenix Downs are limited, making the game harder. I hate that you can't save at all in dungeons though. I was at the last boss and I died. I nearly pulled my hair out!
  15. SteveW.
    Jul 22, 2007
    Not as good as I expected. The graphics are impressive but the game is tedious and has a horrible story. I understand that it was a remake of an old final fantasy however it gets boring. If you really really like final fantasy games...then give it a try, but if you are new to the series i would start somewhere else.
  16. KLS.
    May 30, 2007
    Class system is innovative and lets you experiment i.e. choose different jobs at any time w/o too much of a penalty. Lands and missions are vast but don't feel overwhelming, and each give enough satisfaction (reward) upon completion. Graphics are good for the DS. Hard to find any fault in this game it's in my top5 of all time. If you like RPG's it's a must have title.
  17. StevenC.
    May 13, 2007
    The job system is a great plus in this game, its very enjoyable to be able to pick out a team of classes exactly how you want and utilize there strengths within battles - you can pretty much field any team you like (of course, having a healer of some sort is near essential, and some job classes perform better and give advantages in certain fights / areas). The jobs seem nicely balanced The job system is a great plus in this game, its very enjoyable to be able to pick out a team of classes exactly how you want and utilize there strengths within battles - you can pretty much field any team you like (of course, having a healer of some sort is near essential, and some job classes perform better and give advantages in certain fights / areas). The jobs seem nicely balanced out (I hear they have been tuned since the original game) and you'll most likely develop favourite jobs for specific characters. The Graphics are very nice for the DS - from the limited ammount of games i've played its by far the best looking. Summoning magic is especially great looking, but the battle sequences in general for the most part really gives some oomph and makes you feel like you're actually doing/taking some damage. The world map is nice, although it can at times look a bit bland. The game is not without its problems, although for the most part they are minor; the storyline is average, and sometimes even the instructions for where you have to go next are a bit vague. The lack of saving can be a problem - especially when it comes to the final encounter where you'll be catapulted back quite some time if you wipe. For all the time bar that though it was no real problem for me, as quicksaving allows you to stop at anypoint bar combat. The battles CAN drag, but only in the small fights where you're trying to go as quick as possible. The boss fights can be fairly lengthy and rightfully so. All in all a very enjoyable game. -1 for the minor niggles, -1 because its just over to soon, but i'm already replaying it just to try those jobs i didnt have a go with last time. Worth the money, another great FF game. Expand
  18. Joeking
    Apr 19, 2007
    Pure brilliance. The job-leveling system is a bit odd at first, but I couldn't stop playing as I really wanted to get to the next job set. By far the best rpg I've played so far on the DS.
  19. AndyR.
    Feb 6, 2007
    The less than excellent reviews simply don't get it. This is meant to be more of a remastering than a remake of the original -- and what it has done, is done brilliantly. The musical score has been improved and expanded and graphically, the DS has seldom looked better. The game is centered around a job/class system that, if effective teams are built, greatly minimizes any grinding The less than excellent reviews simply don't get it. This is meant to be more of a remastering than a remake of the original -- and what it has done, is done brilliantly. The musical score has been improved and expanded and graphically, the DS has seldom looked better. The game is centered around a job/class system that, if effective teams are built, greatly minimizes any grinding you'll have to do. My first time through the game, I did all the side quests I could find and I never had to grind -- it did take three attempts on the final boss, though. (And what a final boss this is -- keep in mind they made her easier this time around.) The story does have some major holes and searching for crystals was old even when FF III was originally released over a decade ago. Still, this adds to the old school charm. Nothing this epic has appeared on the DS before. Expand
  20. CecilH.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Disappointing, but true RPG fans should play this game at least once through. The most frustrating aspect of this game is the lack of save points; you can only save when traveling from area to area. Also a bit overpriced for a 40 hour game. I was not able to beat the game due to a glitch in my copy- it kept jamming right before I fought the final boss.
  21. Giorgio
    Jan 6, 2007
    Hey! A Final Fantasy game that's actually difficult? Sounds good to me. The mechanics may be old, but they still work and are well repaid by the incredible number of different battle strategies: many jobs, many party assets, a whole lot of different approaches to battle. Doesn't get a 10 for the weak storyline, but the gameplay and the graphics are more than enough for a GREAT game.
  22. MarkS.
    Dec 26, 2006
    I'm going to go ahead and give this game a 1 rating... Mainly because this isn't really a novel idea for a game (especially not for an rpg) and the ridiculous gayophile following of any Final Fantasy game, from people who don't have any real point or purpose to their lives.
  23. Ralph
    Dec 16, 2006
    Odd balance between remaining true to the original and sacrifices for updated game graphics. Due to what I can only assume were hardware limitations, you're limited to only encounter up to three enemies per battle. Monsters and jobs were heavily rebalanced. Fights now progress at a snail's pace. While I'm glad this game was brought back, I wish Square-Enix would stop Odd balance between remaining true to the original and sacrifices for updated game graphics. Due to what I can only assume were hardware limitations, you're limited to only encounter up to three enemies per battle. Monsters and jobs were heavily rebalanced. Fights now progress at a snail's pace. While I'm glad this game was brought back, I wish Square-Enix would stop tinkering with core game mechanics in its remakes. Why use the Fat Chocobo when you have infinite inventory space? Expand
  24. CheneyD.
    Nov 30, 2006
    I have no idea why this game didn't get better scores. It is probably the best FF remake I have ever played, it's perfect for the DS, and is incredibly fun. Maybe the reviewers thought it was too hard or forgot to level up or something. The story isn't shakespeare but it's better than FFX.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Totally worth the PRICE! A great storyline and fun enough to milk out all the little details Spent 45 hours on my game so far and planning to spend alot more.
  26. JakeS.
    Nov 25, 2006
    Despite its flaws which you can read about above, the game is absolutely fantastic in actual play. If you want a great RPG then this is a must have.
  27. FortheDiehardRPGfans
    Nov 25, 2006
    Seriously this game is on par with all the final fantasy's up to 7 (never played 8 or 9). Same gameplay mechanics same great music, Awesome stories. Its great Turn Based action. Its a great Game but may turn people off who are more into the active time battles featured in today's rpgs's.
  28. CharaelH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    I loved this game. I'd recommend it to for a good hand held game for a good game on the go or just playing when you get bored. But it's still good for playing it whenever.
  29. KeithW.
    Nov 20, 2006
    An excellent game in the series, and a fresh taste of what america missed all these years.
  30. DevinM.
    Nov 19, 2006
    Truly an impressive remake. How to begin a review of a game like this, which brings such a great style of game play back to life while still feeling fresh? I suppose I should start with the presentation. Presentation/Graphics: Wow, what to say about this game? In terms of what the DS is capable of, and what its been seen to do, this game in a tribute to the power of the DS. From the Truly an impressive remake. How to begin a review of a game like this, which brings such a great style of game play back to life while still feeling fresh? I suppose I should start with the presentation. Presentation/Graphics: Wow, what to say about this game? In terms of what the DS is capable of, and what its been seen to do, this game in a tribute to the power of the DS. From the opening cut scene to the in game action the game never ceases to amaze. The graphics are similar to what you found in Final Fantasy VII, but with more detail in the models,though not on the scale of a game like FFVIII or more recent role-playing games on other systems. In terms of screen layout and positioning, the game does a fine job. All the action takes place on the lower screen, including menus. When entering a menu the game play screen (on which the characters appear) switches the the top screen and the menu moves to the bottom, allowing for touch screen control. In addition, while on the world map, a complete world map (sin town positions prior to finding them) appears on the top screen with a flashing arrow representing your location and direction, making for easy navigation around the world. All in all the system works nicely,though the time it takes to switch menus can be somewhat annoying if you are in a hurry, but this doesn't really hurt to much. Gameplay This game is truely a blast from the past. To often in games today the actions and battles are made excessivly fast with no consideration for stratagy. This is not the case with Final Fantasy III. The main hook to the game is the extensive job class system. Each character has a "Character Level" and a "Job Level." The character level stays constant throughout all jobs you choose to play, making it possible to move around jobs without losing your ability to move through the game. However, each job also has its own level which helps determine the power of your job. This level is indepentent by job and requires a bit of work to achieve the max potential. In addition, there is an adjustment period between switching jobs, during which your character will not gain exp to the job. The battle system in similar to most Final Fantasy games of its original era, using a "Front and Rear" set up for the player's party, adjustable on the fly, which determines various damage throughout combat. There is an extensive amount of grinding needed to make it through the game with realitive ease, but the joy of actually preforming this act helps the time fly quickly. The storyline moves fast and flows well, which helps keep the game interesting. To wrap it up, the game has its quirks (i.e. Grinding, ect) which may turn off the casual gamer, but wont bug any rpg fan. Music: Nobuo Uematsu. Enough said right there to please any long time fan of Final Fantasy. For the casual gamer, however, this may require some explination. Nobuo Uematsu is a world renound composer who is best known for his work in the Final Fantasy series. The music is wonderful to say the least. However, as wonderful as the music is, the game has a sub standard sound effect selection. It makes due, but it could have been better. Extra: The game also includes a nifty email system called Mog Net which can be used to send messages between two owners of Final Fantasy III via the internet. This requires the users to exchange friend codes (as with all NWC games) and is only mildly entertaining. Its novelty will soon wear off. Conclusion: This game is a wonderful remake, not because of itss faithfulness to the original, but rather because of its faithfulness to the series. This game truely embodies the spirit of Final Fantasy and helps show new gamers what gaming used to be. Expand
  31. DrewF.
    Nov 16, 2006
    Flashback to an era where your hand wasn't held for the entire duration of a quest. Where the levels of enemies are NOT all relative to your own. This an oldschool Final Fantasy RPG from eras past. You will wonder into areas you're not ready for yet, you will have to level grind or you WILL die. I'm loving it. Graphics are somewhere in between Final Fantasy VII and Final Flashback to an era where your hand wasn't held for the entire duration of a quest. Where the levels of enemies are NOT all relative to your own. This an oldschool Final Fantasy RPG from eras past. You will wonder into areas you're not ready for yet, you will have to level grind or you WILL die. I'm loving it. Graphics are somewhere in between Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX, and are among the best that the DS has to offer. Overall, a solid offering from Square. Expand
  32. Feb 23, 2012
    Average User Score: 7.6

1. An excellent remake that remains very much true to the original game. [JPN Import]
  2. It is only the production values: graphics, music, and pedigree that make this game stand out. At its heart, Final Fantasy III is a dated and mediocre RPG that will only please the most die-hard Final Fantasy fans. [JPN Import]
    Hardcore RPG players may enjoy it more than modern Final Fantasy titles, thanks to its emphasis on skill development and combat. Casual players may find themselves surprised by how addictive simple level-grinding and monster-slaying can be.