7.3

1. Jan 19, 2012
    This is one of those games I wanted to like so much, but it just couldn't live up to its potential. I'd just come off an invigorating Etrian Odyssey binge, and I wanted another game where you get to customize your characters with class/skill levels and gear and whatnot. And it really does sound promising. You have a team of four heroes who can constantly switch classes in order to learn new skills and become even more powerful as time goes on. There is a pretty huge catch, though: rarely do you control all four at one time until close to the end of the game. This led to frustrating sequence after frustrating sequence as every time I felt I had characters that complemented each other well, one of them would bugger off and leave me with just one character plus a worthless TEMPORARY one. And don't get me started on the gems. Oh, the gems...because if you want to level up your classes, you better be memorizing what gems are showing up where when you fight, because otherwise you can't learn new skills at all without them. These two things combined with a very limited inventory system that punished you on boss fights for not looking at a FAQ beforehand were enough to kill my enjoyment of the game. The music was fine, the graphics looked good, the plot...was a Squeenix story, I guess. I just wanted a fun game to play, and I didn't get one. Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    This is huge disappointment for me. When i don´t count terrible music and graphics which hurt my eyes, I still have to hate characters who act completely unreal (and annoying) stupid story and extremely unbalanced difficulty.
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    The beginning of the game was great, but then it loses its place pretty quickly. I played about 10 hours telling myself the good part was coming up, and I knew the game was bad when it never came. Redeeming features: the music, crown system, and beginning tutorial segment.

1. Mar 11, 2011
    FFT4HoL revives an old-school design with a new aesthetic, but which misguided aspects of that design come along with it will divide the line between appealing and off-putting to players.
  2. Feb 15, 2011
    Final Fantasy The Four Heroes of Light is a nice addition to the ever growing collection of the franchise. While not deliberate enough in it's efforts to be a numbered entry, it still represents the series as a whole.
  3. Jan 20, 2011