7.9

1. DarrenZ.
    Feb 1, 2008
    Geometry Wars Galaxies is an extremely fun and addictive game. It hearkens back to the days of classic arcade shooters like Centipede and Asteroids with its bright graphics and relentless action. Yes, it's effectively a shallow time waster, but it is what it is and it excels at what it does. The DS control scheme works extremely well, using the D-pad to control ship movement and Geometry Wars Galaxies is an extremely fun and addictive game. It hearkens back to the days of classic arcade shooters like Centipede and Asteroids with its bright graphics and relentless action. Yes, it's effectively a shallow time waster, but it is what it is and it excels at what it does. The DS control scheme works extremely well, using the D-pad to control ship movement and stylus and touchscreen to fire. I do have two niggling criticism, however: 1) The screen can sometimes get a bit too busy with all the sprites and particle effects flying every which way which can lead to you suddenly dying because you crashed into an unseen enemy; 2) Related to the above, there are some occasional framerate slowdowns when the action heats up which seems to affect the precision of movement and firing slightly. While annoying, these are not game breakers by any means. Bottom line: if you're in the market for a simple, fun, great looking shooter then you really can't go wrong with Geometry Wars Galaxies. Expand
  2. [anonymous]
    Jan 21, 2010
    Third best handheald game I've ever played (the first and second being The World Ends with You and Contra 4). Plenty of levels, perfect controles, and shiney graphics. It's kind of silly that you have to link to the Wii to unlock a set of levels, but other than some slowdown (and it's that "OH GOD I'M DOING GOOD" slowdown), that's the only flaw.
  3. AlexisH.
    Nov 30, 2007
    My favorite DS game so far. Fast, furious, and fun. :)
  4. TonyG.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Did not expect this to be so great!!! completely addictive and fun. Had it for like 5 days now and it has not left my ds. Not really much like its consloe version, but awsome in it's own right. by far the best shooter on the ds.
  5. PatrickD.
    Dec 17, 2007
    The game is simple, but deep and you'll waste, I mean, spend hours trying to unlock everything. When you start playing, you lose track of time then it's dinner time already. The only problem I had was that the controls were kind of cramped and hurt my hands. Other than that I recommend everyone getting this title.
  6. SimonP.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Yes, it may not have the visual impact of the original, but what it lacks in eye candy it more than makes up for in gameplay. If you've lusted after a portable iteration of Geometry Wars then you will never get anything more perfect than this. A great pick-up-and-play way to spend five or ten minutes here and there.
    Dec 7, 2007
    This game is the definition of addicting. And I've seen no slow down, even with too many enemies to count on screen. Graphics and effects are fantastic for the DS.
  8. ChrisS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Graphics look great on the DS despite the screen's size. The controls had me worried at first but after a minute or so it became completely intuitive, flying and shooting in different directions. The sound isn't as loud as I'd like through the DS' speakers (haven't played it with headphones yet) but hands-down this is the most fun I've had with any handheld game.
  9. Dan1990
    Jan 19, 2008
    If you grew up in the mall arcade loving games like Asteroids, Tempest, and Omega Race, like I did, this is THE game for you! It's the first time I've ever had to fight the urge to pump quarters into the game slot on my DS. Unlike almost every other game I've played, it's everything I want (non-stop action) and nothing I don't (boring filler between fights). The If you grew up in the mall arcade loving games like Asteroids, Tempest, and Omega Race, like I did, this is THE game for you! It's the first time I've ever had to fight the urge to pump quarters into the game slot on my DS. Unlike almost every other game I've played, it's everything I want (non-stop action) and nothing I don't (boring filler between fights). The touchscreen controls are perfect for this game. PERFECT! I can't imagine the Wii version being anything but LESS precise. And the slight slowdown on the DS when things get really hot is actually more like the game showing you a little mercy (very little). I'm glad for it. No corners cut here--the single-card multiplayer modes alone ( there are THREE!) will keep you and a buddy playing for hours. Go buy it RIGHT NOW. It's a BLAST! Expand
  10. AndrewW.
    Nov 29, 2007
    The visuals aren't as vibrant and colorful nor is the sound as clear as the original Xbox 360 title and (I assume) the Wii version, but they're good for a DS title. Stylus-controlled aiming works well (with settings for both right and left handed players), and allows for faster and more accurate aiming, while still being as difficult as it's console iterations. It's The visuals aren't as vibrant and colorful nor is the sound as clear as the original Xbox 360 title and (I assume) the Wii version, but they're good for a DS title. Stylus-controlled aiming works well (with settings for both right and left handed players), and allows for faster and more accurate aiming, while still being as difficult as it's console iterations. It's packed with many levels and unlockables, and has good replay value. A very satisfying handheld Geometry Wars experience. Expand
  11. DJT
    Dec 12, 2007
    This game is a perfect 10! No, it's not what it is on the consoles. But for DS players, this game offers hours of replay, addictive action, and downright awesome multiplayer options. An instant classic that'll keep you coming back till your thumbs cramp up!

1. There’s a lot more replay value to be found in here, and unlike the forgotten titles that have collected dust since you beat them, Geometry Wars: Galaxies is the sort of game that you’ll want to dive back into for another round (or ten) long after your first encounter.
  2. The control scheme has its quirks, but this is still an intense and enjoyable shooter.
    If you can say that you're looking forward to having ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week than this is a great title for you. If, somehow, you're totally out of great DS and Gameboy games to play on the go, Galaxies makes for a passable time killer on the road.