Harvest Moon DS DS

• Publisher: Natsume
  • Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
7.4

1. Aug 25, 2010
    Harvest Moon DS, another instalment to the popular Harvest Moon series. Does it live up to the expectations of its predecessors. Well, to be truthful... no. But here's why. At first glance, it has exactly the same graphics as the Game Boy Advance's HM: Friends of Mineral Town. That seems like a great disappointment since you would expect the development team to upgrade the graphics.Harvest Moon DS, another instalment to the popular Harvest Moon series. Does it live up to the expectations of its predecessors. Well, to be truthful... no. But here's why. At first glance, it has exactly the same graphics as the Game Boy Advance's HM: Friends of Mineral Town. That seems like a great disappointment since you would expect the development team to upgrade the graphics. Secondly, the bottom screen and stylus barely come into use other than petting animals. Another major flaw is its tedious storyline. In order to unlock new features (including marriage) you need to find all the 120 harvest sprites but, to make it even harder, they are invisible! The final major flaw, is the world map. It is very unimaginative and its prequel is much better. Not all is bad though, the game still has its Harvest Moon charm and the game-play is still good. But, the bad things out-weigh the good things and you can't help but feel that this is a great let-down. Don't let this review put you off if you are going to buy the game. Harvest Moon fans will have a blast but for newcomers I would suggest the Rune Factory series. Expand
  2. NicholasF.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Best Harvest Moon yet. Every day I can't wait to play and unlock all the new secrets.
  3. ZebraMan
    Jul 4, 2008
    From the constant bugs to the horrendous localization, this game rots. I guess if you can't get enough HM, you'll enjoy it, but it's basically the same premise as every other one. That is, farm a small plot, date guys/ladies, attend festivals, yadda yadda. In my opinion it's a lazy production of a stale series. Hopefully they'll have learned their lessons for the From the constant bugs to the horrendous localization, this game rots. I guess if you can't get enough HM, you'll enjoy it, but it's basically the same premise as every other one. That is, farm a small plot, date guys/ladies, attend festivals, yadda yadda. In my opinion it's a lazy production of a stale series. Hopefully they'll have learned their lessons for the next one (there's ALWAYS a next one). Expand
  4. Danielle
    Oct 5, 2006
    It is really fun but there are way too many glitches!!! I sometimes feel scared to play in fear of saves being erased or getting stuck somewhere or who knows what
  5. Dean
    Sep 23, 2006
    I'm not certain what game the reviewers played, but this game is great. It is a significant upgrade over Friends of Mineral Town, with many fun new features and the same addictive gameplay. I'm not so sure about the "touch glove" for caring for animals, but that's really kind of optional, you still can use all the old tools if you prefer. If you like Harvest Moon games, I'm not certain what game the reviewers played, but this game is great. It is a significant upgrade over Friends of Mineral Town, with many fun new features and the same addictive gameplay. I'm not so sure about the "touch glove" for caring for animals, but that's really kind of optional, you still can use all the old tools if you prefer. If you like Harvest Moon games, this is a definite buy. Expand
  6. LindyM.&CarliM.
    Jan 8, 2007
    We haven't played any of the other HM games, but we absolutely love this one. There are a few downsides to it, though. When it freezes, we completely freak out. When we play, we are constantly on the phone with each other, sharing every little detail that happened. When the heart of the girls changes color, we scream, usually killing the other one's ear.
  7. RedXIII
    Feb 7, 2007
    Ultimately shallow and repetitive, this game has a hint of the good old harvest moon, and is probably the best they could have done for a handheld system, but this game has little to no depth, it gets repetitive after the first couple of hours, and just doesn't have enough to do. Good for a while, but boring after that.
  8. ChristianP.
    Feb 2, 2008
    I always liked the Harvest Moon series but this game is kidda good not as good as the other ones. It's always the same thing going around doing stuff that is related to farming. This game has numerous amount of glitches and what where Natsume thinking not fixing the glitches it feels more like a rushed game than a more complete game.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Way to many glitches. Did they even bother testing it before they released it?
  10. ArianaJ.
    Dec 23, 2006
    I love caring for the animals and the way the game is so real it is just that i hate it when bad weather comes along, and all the animals die so i hope the storms wont come back.
  11. NicoleW.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This game has so many glitches and it gets boring after a while. I would say dont waste your $34.99 on it because it freezes like crazy on you and you need to save like every second, so that when it does freeze you don't lose what you did.
  12. ConleyM.
    Dec 30, 2006
    This is a great game, if you're an old HM fan, this game is a must, and if you're new to the series, it might be worth it to pick up a copy. The touch screen features are, contrary to popular belief, very useful and cool. This game picks up all the cool things from Mineral Town and takes it to Forget-Me-Not Valley, just try it!
  13. PatR.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Great game except that it freezes. Got married - wife expecting - saved game and when I tried to load it, it froze and I can't get into it. Not very happy - had 67,000,000 G. Lost everything. Lot of game time lost.
  14. JimmyB.
    Apr 12, 2007
    I have played a lot of the Harvest Moon games. I first played it for the SNES, which I thought was awesome, then I played it for the PS2, which I was disappointed, then Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA, which was really good, then It's a Wonderful Life for the GameCube, which was even better. I was really looking forward to Harvest Moon DS when it came out, I mean I loved how you I have played a lot of the Harvest Moon games. I first played it for the SNES, which I thought was awesome, then I played it for the PS2, which I was disappointed, then Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA, which was really good, then It's a Wonderful Life for the GameCube, which was even better. I was really looking forward to Harvest Moon DS when it came out, I mean I loved how you can use the stylus to milk, pet, clean, etc. and especially placing buidlings on different parts of your farm. The one thing that really made me hate this game was one thing....... IT FROZE ON ME THIS MORNING, I seriously had amnesia from playing this game, I bought it last week, and I was finishing up the second mine, I was about to marry the mermaid, I was finishing up my first year, and when I saved it, it froze and now I have to start over from scratch. Well, screw that, I'm taking this back to the store today. Now that I'm done complaining, I would say that if you area huge Harvest Moon fan, then buy it and save a lot but switch off from the first and second save data, so that if one freezes, the other will load, other than that, I'm gonna wait for the Harvest Moon for the Wii to come out. Expand
  15. ColleenM.
    Jul 19, 2007
    I got this for my birthday expecting it to be just as enjoyable as the GBA versions, and in the beginning it was. The thing that makes me almost never want to play this is the CONSTANT freezing! At first I thought I got a faulty game, but reading other people's comments about it I now realize that it was probably just a mistake by Natsume.
  16. AnonymousMC
    Oct 19, 2008
    This game is good, but has plenty of bugs. For instance, there's the billions-of-G glitch, and the fact that if you marry the mermaid, she lives in your pond made of stone which can be destroyed by bad weather. Also, it seems to have random crashes. If you can find it for 20 bucks or less, you might want to give it a shot, but I'm not making any promises.

#16 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#18 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. Games Master UK
    A sweet slice of handheld fun, but familiarity breeds contempt. [May 2007, p.83]
  2. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    With better visuals and touch screen controls this could have been a DS classic. As it is, it's a decent introduction to the genre we shall christen the farm 'em up. [May 2007, p.87]
  3. The game is every bit as cute and niche as ever, but it’s not even pretending to be anything new or innovative for fans – it’s just the same old slog once again, with only a few new faces and a few new things to see.