8.4

1. Oct 8, 2010
    Is it one of the best platforms in the modern era, ingeniously mixed with puzzle elements to give it a unique feel? Or, was it an over-rated suprise hit that capitalized on fans hunger for more platform/action titles durring a long onslaught of DS RPG's? Well, it's a little bit of both. But the good far outweighs the bad here. Addictive music, nice character interplay that had me laughing several times (there is genuine humor here in this game), and probably one of the better platform titles to come out of the DS. Game play is very fun and loose, the villian bosses are actually pretty challenging (but fun too), and the game gets increasingly difficult as you go along. After playing the first world (mysteria), I thought I'd made a mistake in purchasing the game, sinmply b/c it was rather easy. But World 2 comes at you pretty fast and furious, and the game continues increasing difficulty to the end.
    Granted, they really could have upped the ante here. Certainly, this could have been an 8 world game, and I think EA didnt totally give us the most for our buck (there is some schintzing here): once you've beat the game , it doesnt have the re-playability factor of say, Super Mario 3. You cant still play. The puzzle aspect intensifies original gaming, but doesnt hold up with repeat play.(once you've beat the game)
    It's a nice game. Funny, completent platform aspects, smooth controls, but EA could have put a bit more chomp into this.
    Still, I'd really like a sequel to this. A superior sequel. One i think EA can deliver. If they choose to.
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    This is one of my favourite games ever and certainly my favourite on the DS.

Henry Hatsworth is not everyone cup of tea (excuse the pun), I'd suggest you either adore it, or aren't a fan. The innovative game combines platforming, action, and puzzle all with a good dollop of humour. The first 3-4 worlds are fairly simple and are pretty much there to try and prepare you for the final
    world which I should warn you, is very very difficult. Few people have played this game, but even fewer have finished it as it becomes very unforgiving later on punishing any mistakes. The puzzle element of the game almost starts out as a separate game because you get that much time to do it. But by the finals levels you must quickly switch between the two, attempting to get yourself extra life and power to be able to continue through the game. And the final boss is absolutely epic. A truly amazing game that those like myself who do finish it, will feel very smug and rightly so. Expand

1. Neither game is particularly great on its own, but the two intersect in clever ways to become much more than the sum of their parts. [Apr 2009, p.83]
  2. This is a delightfully risky experiment, and the end result is pure alchemy: the blending of two fiercely traditional genres into something both unique and entirely natural. [Apr 2009, p.125]
  3. While the platformer and the puzzler in Henry Hatsworth are perfectly competent, they're nothing special. Neither could be described as classic examples of their genre, and neither offer anything new. The switching mechanic does add interest, but not quite enough to make Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure a great game.