8.2

1. Nov 21, 2011
    This is one of my favourite games ever and certainly my favourite on the DS.

This is one of my favourite games ever and certainly my favourite on the DS.

Henry Hatsworth is not everyone cup of tea (excuse the pun), I'd suggest you either adore it, or aren't a fan. The innovative game combines platforming, action, and puzzle all with a good dollop of humour. The first 3-4 worlds are fairly simple and are pretty much there to try and prepare you for the final world which I should warn you, is very very difficult. Few people have played this game, but even fewer have finished it as it becomes very unforgiving later on punishing any mistakes. The puzzle element of the game almost starts out as a separate game because you get that much time to do it. But by the finals levels you must quickly switch between the two, attempting to get yourself extra life and power to be able to continue through the game. And the final boss is absolutely epic. A truly amazing game that those like myself who do finish it, will feel very smug and rightly so.

1. Neither game is particularly great on its own, but the two intersect in clever ways to become much more than the sum of their parts. [Apr 2009, p.83]
  2. This is a delightfully risky experiment, and the end result is pure alchemy: the blending of two fiercely traditional genres into something both unique and entirely natural. [Apr 2009, p.125]
  3. While the platformer and the puzzler in Henry Hatsworth are perfectly competent, they're nothing special. Neither could be described as classic examples of their genre, and neither offer anything new. The switching mechanic does add interest, but not quite enough to make Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure a great game.