8.6

1. Mar 22, 2014
    The DS iteration of Mario Kart remains my favourite in the series to this day and friends and I lost many, many hours on this game. The track design and gameplay are excellent as always but, for me at least, Mario Kart DS struck the best balance between rewarding skillful driving and needing luck on your side.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I wouldn't call it the best in the series, but other than having its moments, it has fantastic gameplay that captures the feeling similarly to Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Kart.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    "Mario Kart" is a great multiplayer game with many characters and fun stuff to do...with friends!!!! Co-op rocks!!! BUT. It gets too repetitive due to the lack of single-player. If your fine with that, you'll live with the game.
  4. May 3, 2012
    Although limited by it's genre, Mario Kart DS is about as good as a karting game can be on the DS. It controls well and has a ton of content. The game also appeals nicely to nostalgia, featuring a 'greatest hits' package of past Mario Kart tracks alongside the brand new ones. Basically, if you're craving a descent cartoon racer for the DS then you need look no further.
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    This game is so addictive.
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    Total shell tossing mayhem, crazy news itens.
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    One Of The Best Games Ever Made! Great Great Great! I Was So Shocked How Much I Loved It!
  8. May 25, 2011
    Even though Mario Kart Wii supports 12 people in WiFi, 4 is enough for frantic action in WiFi on Mario Kart DS. The smooth controls, great graphics, and excellent soundtrack make this game a gem. What I DON'T like in this installment, however, is the abuse of the drifting in WiFi.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    This is definitely not the best Mario Kart game out of all 7 it's in 4th, but it's not a bad game at all, but I can't stand some of the character voices ESPECIALLY Daisy.
  10. May 30, 2015
    I recently played this game on the Wii U Virtual Console and this was probably one of the best games Nintendo could have picked to launch the DS VC with.

Though the game isn't as good as recent entries, I'll be reviewing based on how it was at the time (2005). MKDS consists of the traditional characters we all know and love (while still managing to have a better roster than MK7). R.O.B. is a bit of a questionable choice. E. Gadd, who was a bit more popular at the time, might have been a better pick but I can look past that.

As always, the main focus is the racing. Though none of the courses are "bad," per se, I did find Yoshi Falls to be a bit of a bore as it's just a simple oval. My favorites though were the unique Waluigi Pinball, Tick-Tock Clock, and Airship Fortress. For some reason, I'm also fond of DK Pass. This is the first Mario Kart to feature retro courses so it's a bit surprising they went for some strange choices such as two Luigi Circuits (GCN and GBA). That doesn't, however, change the fact that the courses are still enjoyable such as Choco Mountain and Mushroom Bridge.

Mission Mode, so far, has only appeared in this installment. I know many really enjoyed this mode and are begging for it to return in future games in the series but after playing it myself, I think I'd rather have either an improved battle mode or an entirely new mode. Not that Mission Mode is bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much as other people. The items are a pretty big highlight of the game. Unlike Mario Kart Wii, they're as balanced as they could possibly be. I do wish the Boo item (turns you invisible and steals an enemy's item) would make a comeback at some point.

Overall, Mario Kart DS was great for its time. While its graphics don't hold up that well today, the game is still a fun experience with some of the most unique courses in the game as well as some more great ideas like Mission Mode, even if they aren't as fun as they could've been. I doubt you'd be picking this up on a DS so if you have a Wii U, get it on the Virtual Console.
  11. Feb 26, 2015
    I find this game okay, The characters were great,the graphics were okay,the gameplay is okay,the challenge mode is fine. I conquered this game 100% and is definitely a must get. The stages and courses are great. Overall, it was awesome.
  12. Jan 23, 2012
    As the same with Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart DS is the first DS game I have ever phad and in a broad perspective, the best Mario Kart game ever made. Everything is done right in this game. Its track selection is amazing, the gameplay is the most balanced out of all the Mario Karts, it has more contents than any other Mario Kart games and introduced the greatest thing to ever happenAs the same with Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart DS is the first DS game I have ever phad and in a broad perspective, the best Mario Kart game ever made. Everything is done right in this game. Its track selection is amazing, the gameplay is the most balanced out of all the Mario Karts, it has more contents than any other Mario Kart games and introduced the greatest thing to ever happen to Mario Kart: multiplayer racing. This is the perfect Mario Kart game and one of the best games on the Nintendo DS. Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2015
    This game is decent. Not the best Mario Kart but pretty good. The graphics are okay for DS. The tracks were fine. The character selection is average. The gameplay is good. Mario Kart DS is a good Mario Kart game but there are other Mario Karts better. I would say it's worth getting to add to your MK collection.
  14. Aug 23, 2010
    A near flawless Mario Kart experience, but could have beniffeted from being released later in the DS's timeline, so as to include more tracks and characters. Even saying that, MArio Kart DS is packed with content, featuring 32 tracks and a decent amount of characters. With sme smooth and solid grpahics for DS, this is a definitive racing experience, and has a lot more soul than the WiiA near flawless Mario Kart experience, but could have beniffeted from being released later in the DS's timeline, so as to include more tracks and characters. Even saying that, MArio Kart DS is packed with content, featuring 32 tracks and a decent amount of characters. With sme smooth and solid grpahics for DS, this is a definitive racing experience, and has a lot more soul than the Wii version. With another player, the rel fun begins, and the spirit of Mario Kar comes alive- pure multiplayer fun. Expand
  15. Jan 9, 2014
    The best racer on the DS. Even though it's not my favorite Mario Kart game, this game is great for the DS. I had a lot of fun with this game, it's one of the best games on the DS.
  16. Sep 24, 2010
    No question, one of the best video games I've ever played. I've played this game for nearly 5 years, and I'm still hooked on Mario Kart DS. I love it!
  17. Dec 14, 2011
    For something made in 2005, this game is underrated. It may be one of the best video games ever produced that year. Nintendo has upped its game. Extremely recommended for 7+ kids and adults all alike.
  18. Oct 28, 2011
    Mario Kart DS, The fifth game in the Mario Kart series and the second game in the Mario kart Series for Nintendo's portable consoles is what would be expected to anyone who has played the previous or future titles in the series, it is a competitive racing game with a large variety of strange and wacky items, power ups and weapons to use with a large cast of Mario series characters whichMario Kart DS, The fifth game in the Mario Kart series and the second game in the Mario kart Series for Nintendo's portable consoles is what would be expected to anyone who has played the previous or future titles in the series, it is a competitive racing game with a large variety of strange and wacky items, power ups and weapons to use with a large cast of Mario series characters which include Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong and King "Bowser" Koopa along with four unlockable extra characters. The game's main mode Gran Prix consists of eight Cups, four cups with original race tracks and 4 cups with random tracks from older Mario Kart releases. There is a Mission mode for challenges and boss battles, a single player Ballon Battle mode and Shine Runners mode with AI opponents, a Time Trail mode for you to practice for best times and race ghost data. There are also multiple multiplayer modes including a Download Play demo for friends to try out (your friend will play as a Shyguy of a random colour and you will only have access to two of the eight cups), wireless multiplayer which includes "Balloon Battle" "Shine Runners" and "Gran Prix Modes" and Wifi multiplayer modes which consists of a Gran Prix of 4 races on tracks voted by the players against different player types with include "Regional" players from your general area, "Worldwide" players from all over the world, "Rivals" with similar online records to you and "Friends" which you have added to your friends list via registering their friend code. The Wifi multiplayer game gives more than enough replayablility and excitement to encourage players to keep coming back for more and to ensure that buyers get value from their purchase. There are some annoying parts to Wifi multiplayer that needs to be addressed however, some racetrack environmental hazards are disabled to stop players online from desyncing or laging with other opponents, You can't drag items behind your kart to protect yourself from damage for similar lag reasons (this can be somewhat solved by skillfully dropping your item right before a weapon collides with you to block it), there is quite a bit of players online with vulgar usernames or avatars or with hacking tools in use in an attempt to ruin the fun of the game and there are frequent trends of players disconnecting if they feel they are going to lose or it they assume a player is hacking or cheating even if they are not. An amazing game that is well worth the price you pay for it but primitive Wifi multiplayer services (from 2005, one of the first Wifi games for DS) and frustrating behaviours of online players can be a tad bit annoying to get used to. Collapse
  19. Apr 27, 2011
    8.5/10 = Great = A fun portable racer that's accessable and innovative with it's online features. Got repetitive for me though.
  20. May 4, 2012
    Mario Kart DS is not quite the worst Mario Kart I have played, but is definitely not the best. The graphics were pretty good. The online multiplayer is great, especially since the few of my friends that even have a Nintendo DS do not want to spend the time to get it all together. The unlockables were a fair challenge and were varied. I usually bring this title on a trip because of itsMario Kart DS is not quite the worst Mario Kart I have played, but is definitely not the best. The graphics were pretty good. The online multiplayer is great, especially since the few of my friends that even have a Nintendo DS do not want to spend the time to get it all together. The unlockables were a fair challenge and were varied. I usually bring this title on a trip because of its simplicity and replayability. There was one major flaw, though. It lacked any depth to be taken seriously. The races were more boring than the other titles mainly because the tracks did not have a lot of work put into them. Still, good game, especially for the Nintendo DS's flooded infantile, childish titles. Expand
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    I seriously don't get how people like this game. The one reason I take away three point three out of ten is because of its horrendous graphics, I know, I'm being cruel, but here's an idea, why don't you make it like the one for gameboy advanced or Super Nintendo, so the graphics would look half decent. One aspect that is a positive would be the variety of character (compared to the minimalI seriously don't get how people like this game. The one reason I take away three point three out of ten is because of its horrendous graphics, I know, I'm being cruel, but here's an idea, why don't you make it like the one for gameboy advanced or Super Nintendo, so the graphics would look half decent. One aspect that is a positive would be the variety of character (compared to the minimal selection in 7). Overall, 6.7/10 Expand
  22. Jul 20, 2011
    Mario Kart DS offers all the polished gameplay and peerless multiplayer mode you'd expect from a Mario Kart Game. Ther's plenty of depth too with the excellent mission mode, battle mode, and tons of hidden karts and characters to unlock. Personally i would have liked a few more original tracks but you can't have everything eh?
  23. Jul 9, 2014
    Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob RobRob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Rob Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2011
    If you are lloking for a great Mario adventure to pass the time, don't miss out on Mario Kart DS. Including all the great extras, it would be a great addition to any DS collection. There is no story line to go along with the game, but the simplicity and dynamics of the game will keep you playing for hours on end.
  25. Dec 25, 2010
    Mario Kart DS is a racing game, in which the player races in a kart against other racers as one of 13 characters, each with three karts to choose from. While racing, the Nintendo DS's top screen offers a third-person perspective of the player's kart, while the bottom touchscreen shows the race's current standings, items carried by each racer, and a map of the course. The bottom screen canMario Kart DS is a racing game, in which the player races in a kart against other racers as one of 13 characters, each with three karts to choose from. While racing, the Nintendo DS's top screen offers a third-person perspective of the player's kart, while the bottom touchscreen shows the race's current standings, items carried by each racer, and a map of the course. The bottom screen can be toggled to show either an overview of the entire course, or a bird's-eye view of the player's kart and the immediate vicinity, including nearby racers, course hazards, item boxes, and incoming attacks. Each course features item boxes that the player can drive through to receive a randomly selected item, which the player can use to gain an advantage over other racers. Some items allow the player to attack other racers to slow them down, while other items can be used to speed up the player's own kart to pass other racers more easily. Thank you Wikipedia, this game is absoulete excellent. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2012
    Purely the best racing game ever made. With online play (being a first for the series), missions, and tons of characters and stages to unlock, this game could keep you occupied forever. Must have for any racing fan.
  27. Feb 12, 2015
    I managed to beat the game and unlock everything. Despite the lack of voice over, it's still a fun game to play.
    Mario Kart games are what made people get those consoles like SNES, N64, GBA, Gamecube, etc. etc.
  28. Apr 15, 2012
    this game was fun but got tiring after wards and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gald they came out with the mario kart 7 game
  29. Sep 19, 2013
    Mario Kart DS was a good addition to the franchise. With 12 playable characters and a number of new tracks, it is definitely a fun game. Along with new tracks, updated versions of older tracks also make their way into this game, which i think is great. I would have liked to seen a little bit more characters though, and I am still waiting for the day Nintendo drops rubber banding of CPUMario Kart DS was a good addition to the franchise. With 12 playable characters and a number of new tracks, it is definitely a fun game. Along with new tracks, updated versions of older tracks also make their way into this game, which i think is great. I would have liked to seen a little bit more characters though, and I am still waiting for the day Nintendo drops rubber banding of CPU drivers. Expand
  30. Jan 16, 2011
    Shame this game has gone missing somewhere. Oh yes AnonymousMC. A PSP is a portable PS2. No wait. The games on it suck and there's only a few games worth playing on it. The DS is original and not like the Wii most of the games are not shovelware. Just what I'd expect from a Sony Guy. Oh the game. Sorry. The graphics are really good for a DS game, the game is really fun to play, theShame this game has gone missing somewhere. Oh yes AnonymousMC. A PSP is a portable PS2. No wait. The games on it suck and there's only a few games worth playing on it. The DS is original and not like the Wii most of the games are not shovelware. Just what I'd expect from a Sony Guy. Oh the game. Sorry. The graphics are really good for a DS game, the game is really fun to play, the multiplayer is really good, the tracks are fun to play on and some Retro tracks are back and the music is back and has not been messed around with too much. The only two bones I have to pick with it though is that there's not much tracks to race on and Shine Runners is just a stupid idea. If you own a DS and don't have this, this game needs to be added to your collection. Expand
  31. Jul 15, 2011
    Mario Kart has lots of tracks, they look great, and they are really fun. There are lots of characters, who also look great, and are a lot of fun. There are lots of vehicles, that, surprise surprise, look great, and are lots of fun. Basically, everything looks great, everything is a lot of fun, and there is a lot of everything. This is Mario Kart, with great controls, lots of gamemodes, andMario Kart has lots of tracks, they look great, and they are really fun. There are lots of characters, who also look great, and are a lot of fun. There are lots of vehicles, that, surprise surprise, look great, and are lots of fun. Basically, everything looks great, everything is a lot of fun, and there is a lot of everything. This is Mario Kart, with great controls, lots of gamemodes, and tons of replayability. This is the perfect mobile Mario Kart game, and one you shouldn't miss. Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2010
    This is a brilliant racing game, the best on DS. With loads of characters and tracks, challenges, and battles it will really have you coming back for more. Very highly reccomended.
  33. Aug 4, 2013
    Like every other Mario Kart, this one is amazing as usual.

Id say this might be the best one, maybe the second best after the Wii version. What makes it so good is, The tight controls and gameplay. The online which was introduced to the series along with this game. The multiplayer is amazing and where the game shines the most. The fact that its all on a handheld. Especially
    Like every other Mario Kart, this one is amazing as usual.

Id say this might be the best one, maybe the second best after the Wii version.

What makes it so good is,

The tight controls and gameplay.
    The online which was introduced to the series along with this game.
    The multiplayer is amazing and where the game shines the most.
    The fact that its all on a handheld.

Especially the simple customization within the multiplayer that gives you the option to decide how cups are structured is brilliant!

The biggest downside is that they didn't balance the game mechanics well enough which has enabled something known as "snaking".

That aside, its a perfect racer for the handheld.

Easily a 10 out of 10 and recommended for everyone who likes good videogames.
  34. May 2, 2013
    One of the best racing games ever, no matter what console/handheld you compare it to. With an extremely solid campaign littered with brilliant missions, there is nothing wrong with it. The multiplayer may be a bit glitchy, but it was Nintendo's first go, and it worked pretty damn well! The single player VS mode and Battle mode are extremely addicting, already having me donated 200+ hoursOne of the best racing games ever, no matter what console/handheld you compare it to. With an extremely solid campaign littered with brilliant missions, there is nothing wrong with it. The multiplayer may be a bit glitchy, but it was Nintendo's first go, and it worked pretty damn well! The single player VS mode and Battle mode are extremely addicting, already having me donated 200+ hours just into those two modes, but the sheer amount of fun playing the game is just already satisfying. The music is also not bad, where tunes from different games before may invade your nostalgia!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: N/A
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 10/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  35. Mar 16, 2015
    Das war eines meiner ersten Spiele und es hatte ein großes Wirken auf meine Gamingerfahrung , denn nun wusste ich um ein weiteres Stück mehr , was ein episches Spiel ausmacht . Ich habe es immer genossen , allein oder mit meinen Freunden in nie langweiligen Wettkämpfen herumzufahren und die Atmosphäre , die dieses Spiel preisgibt , auf mich wirken zu lassen . Danke , Nintendo ! ^-^
  36. Mar 25, 2013
    This is definitely in the top 3 best MarioKarts ever! It was the first DS game I ever got and I still play it today! It doesn't matter how old you get or how depressed you are. This game along with other Mario games will put a smile on your face!
  37. Mar 14, 2011
    This game is simply epic. There is so much to do, and so many different character/kart combinations to race. My particular favorite is Time Trials- an addition to the game that makes it never get old. This game is one of the many outstandingly enjoyable Mario games on DS.
  38. Oct 28, 2012
    It was the first game that included Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in Nintendo DS system. The graphics and 3D models are awesome for DS game. The gameplay is challenging and fun to play. Mario Kart DS is recommended who already haves Nintendo DS, then buy the New Super Mario Bros.
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    I think this is the worst game in the Mario Kart series.While it is´nt that horrible, it has some flaws that I don´t like, the first been ing, that, if do do not have a profile, you get to play as Shy Guy EVERY TIME!!!
  40. Mar 25, 2011
    A great game for a pretty good price. It's a load of fun with friends but the multiplayer over wi-fi usually feels too buggy, laggy or even sometimes has cheaters. The tournaments are great and the game even has a mini-games area. It has a bunch of vehicles and characters that have different sets of cars. You can unlock more cars by playing through the tournaments. The cars can even haveA great game for a pretty good price. It's a load of fun with friends but the multiplayer over wi-fi usually feels too buggy, laggy or even sometimes has cheaters. The tournaments are great and the game even has a mini-games area. It has a bunch of vehicles and characters that have different sets of cars. You can unlock more cars by playing through the tournaments. The cars can even have customizable logos that you make!

I say pick this game up if you like Cartoon like racing. Mario is generally always good.
  41. Aug 16, 2010
    Mario Kart Ds is definitely the best portable racers if not the best portable game ever, it has good graphics fun gameplay, good local multiplayer and online, and great controls, but by no means is the game perfect. Mario Kart Ds is a new installment in the long running series of games from Nintendo. The Mario Kart games are racers with a twist, power ups. In the game there are many powerMario Kart Ds is definitely the best portable racers if not the best portable game ever, it has good graphics fun gameplay, good local multiplayer and online, and great controls, but by no means is the game perfect. Mario Kart Ds is a new installment in the long running series of games from Nintendo. The Mario Kart games are racers with a twist, power ups. In the game there are many power ups that will give you the edge on enemy racers. All the power ups in Mario kart are varied and strange, for example there are green shells that you use as projectiles, and red shells you use as heat seeking projectiles. Like I said Mario kart is not perfect but Its problems are few and small problems, but the problems are still there. One problem is that the game is very easy on any difficulty, so if your looking for a racer were your biting your nail hopping you will win you should look some were else because this isn't it. Mario kart's other problem is that while it is very easy it sometimes also feels cheep because the enemy racers will hit with multiple power ups (like shells) one after the other till you go from 1st to last. Overall Mario Kart ds is a great new installment to the series. Expand
  42. Dec 19, 2012
    After all these years, this game can still be considered the best Mario Kart in the series. Graphics and sound are pleasing, and the controls and two screens work perfectly. The single player mode is still the deepest to date with a VS. mode and the very cool missions mode added on. The replay value here is really high and has kept me coming back. Multiplayer is also well-done with theAfter all these years, this game can still be considered the best Mario Kart in the series. Graphics and sound are pleasing, and the controls and two screens work perfectly. The single player mode is still the deepest to date with a VS. mode and the very cool missions mode added on. The replay value here is really high and has kept me coming back. Multiplayer is also well-done with the download-play (which is limited on purpose and is supposed to feel like a demo), local wireless, and a decent online. The characters choices are great (Dry Bones and R.O.B. were awesome additions), and the different karts to choose from was a plus. Creating a custom emblem was innovative, and the ability to use the mic in balloon battle was an interesting feature. Racing is very fun with the items being crazy, but no so much to the point of being cheap. The only two minor drawbacks to this game was that the online was limited, and the game is really easy. However, the online was still good overall and was a nice start in the series, also the easy difficulty allows the game to be highly accessible. I did have to round up the score because of the way it works on this site, but I'd give this a 9.5/10. One of the best racing games I've ever played. Expand
  43. Sep 28, 2013
    Ultimately, it was a fun game, with high quality graphics for its time. It could be a little frustrating in some levels and tourneys if you didn't know the advanced tricks.
    Music: 8
    Art/ Graphics: 8
    Story: NA
    Gameplay: 8
  44. Nov 27, 2011
    Although there has been some complaints, I thought this was one of the best ds games ever!! You start of with 4 or 5 people, with only a few karts, so it is quite boring, but then if you get better, you get even more karts, I am now on one of the last things you can get, he is called B.O.B and he is great. You can also go online and race against other people from other parts of the world!!Although there has been some complaints, I thought this was one of the best ds games ever!! You start of with 4 or 5 people, with only a few karts, so it is quite boring, but then if you get better, you get even more karts, I am now on one of the last things you can get, he is called B.O.B and he is great. You can also go online and race against other people from other parts of the world!! You can also "link up" with friends or family if they don't have the actual game and you can have a blast! There is soo much to this game, I have lots of things to do on it aswell still! I would recomend it to children over 3 yrs old :) Expand
  45. Nov 5, 2013
    This game was a great game, a must buy for DS owners. Although its AI were insane on 150cc, it had great replay value, many characters to choose from, and a great map selection.
  46. Dec 3, 2014
    Uh.... Donkey Kong.... you okay there, buddy?

The courses are fun, and I like playing as ROB. Its main problem is its graphics. However, it redeems itself with the mission mode. Nothing like this was ever seen in a Mario Kart game, and it never was again. I really liked that mode.
  47. Oct 16, 2010
    This game goes perfect in every way almost. The drifting mechanics feel pefect if you dont drift at all you fell perfect the courses provide so much variety. your oppenets drive perfectly and put up a fight. But this game strives th most with multypler. It has single card ds download, multycard ds download, and it even has online multyplayer. The online multyplayer isnt as fun as the dsThis game goes perfect in every way almost. The drifting mechanics feel pefect if you dont drift at all you fell perfect the courses provide so much variety. your oppenets drive perfectly and put up a fight. But this game strives th most with multypler. It has single card ds download, multycard ds download, and it even has online multyplayer. The online multyplayer isnt as fun as the ds download thogh. Mostly because your sitting next to your freinds so when there pulling up to the finish line at moo moo farm and you use three perfectly timed mushromms to take the lead and break his hopes of breaking your 7 game win streak you can rub it all in your face. The career mode is nice increasing in difficulty not because you oppenets are getting better but you getting slower making you have to use you powerups more wisley. There is also missions that your character takes place in but i never realy got into these because there not actually races there mor varied but not as fun. The cast af characters and karts is great although it had to be cut down so the game could fit into the hardrive that the ds offers. THe only reason I gave this game a nine is because im harsh and the online multyplayer is choppy. Expand
  48. Dec 29, 2010
    Four or so years on, I'm still playing it. That's how great and addictive this game is. It had geat depth and the Mission mode is a nice addition. The Vs mode will have you coming back for more like it has with me over and over again complete with some of the best tracks in the series. Online is solid, if slightly empty. The only dissapointment is the lack of characters. Although Yoshi wasFour or so years on, I'm still playing it. That's how great and addictive this game is. It had geat depth and the Mission mode is a nice addition. The Vs mode will have you coming back for more like it has with me over and over again complete with some of the best tracks in the series. Online is solid, if slightly empty. The only dissapointment is the lack of characters. Although Yoshi was there, so I'm not too bothered. Besides that, it's a solid racer that is a worthy entry into the Mario Kart series, despite it lacking the series staple of having you and three other mates huddled around a TV racing each other. Expand
  49. Oct 24, 2014
    Definitely one of my favourite NDS games to date, the only thing that I have trouble with are the controls. It feels unconformable to play for long periods of time which is sort of a bummer, but one of the best games i have played ever!
  50. Sep 16, 2010
    Mario Kart is as enjoyable as ever- and with online / local network play and over thirty tracks to choose from, the DS title is a more than welcome addition to the series. The lack of DS graphical power is certainly not as issue here, with the gameplay being as tight and as intense as it always has been. It's very difficult to find someone who doesn't enjoy playing Mario Kart in some shapeMario Kart is as enjoyable as ever- and with online / local network play and over thirty tracks to choose from, the DS title is a more than welcome addition to the series. The lack of DS graphical power is certainly not as issue here, with the gameplay being as tight and as intense as it always has been. It's very difficult to find someone who doesn't enjoy playing Mario Kart in some shape or form, whatever the age, and the same can certainly be said for this latest hand-held release. Expand
  51. Apr 24, 2012
    A really really boring and bad game.The game has no point to it at all.The mission are so so BORING!
  52. Aug 15, 2014
    Oh gosh, this game is great! This was one of the biggest influences of my childhood! It was one of the video games that really got me into gaming. While the multi-player isn't too impressive, what really makes it stand out is the single-player mode. It's great! There's the Grand Prix Mode, Time Trials, VS Race (A.K.A Free Run), Battle Mode and Mission Mode! I really have enjoyed this gameOh gosh, this game is great! This was one of the biggest influences of my childhood! It was one of the video games that really got me into gaming. While the multi-player isn't too impressive, what really makes it stand out is the single-player mode. It's great! There's the Grand Prix Mode, Time Trials, VS Race (A.K.A Free Run), Battle Mode and Mission Mode! I really have enjoyed this game since I was eight and still love it to pieces to this day! Apart from the DS not being the most appropriate for larger hands like mine, the control is perfect. Drifting is easy to do and enjoyable, the item balance is right so you won't see the Blue Shell too often but not everyone will get you a Bullet Bill. This course also introduced online play and retro courses! Retro courses are one of my favorite parts of the Mario Kart franchise and I owe it all to Double Dash. Your kart steers very well, nothing like Double Dash's slightly slippery driving, which isn't very helpful on windy roads where you easily fall down. While Double Dash had two incredibly good battle modes (Shine Thief and Bob-Omb Blast) I can't owe it to all that Mario Kart DS to this day has the greatest Balloon Battle out of any entry in the series! You start with one balloon, then have five more in stock. If you choose to have less balloons, you get out faster but get better items! Plus it has some great Battle Mode stages! All of them, except for Tart Top which is alright but fine since Double Dash had Tilt-A-Kart which wasn't very good either. But I like this game so much that I would play it over Mario Kart: Double Dash!
    The music is upbeat and cheerful...most of the time. It did have the horrible Yoshi Falls track, but apart from that track all other tracks were memorable for me. Especially what could be my favorite track of all time: Airship Fortress. The retro track music isn't quite as good as the original games, but still pretty good to me!
    Snaking got me competitive as well, so those are great aspect of these games. While the retro tracks didn't have such a proud selection (could've had better GBA and N64 stages), I'm very happy with a lot of these tracks. My second favorite video game of all time! It deserves a ten for all it has done!
  53. Jan 13, 2013
    Mario Kart DS provides an amazing single and multiplayer experience. It has a huge array of game modes, such as Grand Prix, Battles, multiplayer modes, missions and much more. The game has a good amount of challenge to it, even though it can get a bit frustrating if you keep getting hit by items. The Grand Prix mode is fun as usual, and battles and missions can provide a good alternativeMario Kart DS provides an amazing single and multiplayer experience. It has a huge array of game modes, such as Grand Prix, Battles, multiplayer modes, missions and much more. The game has a good amount of challenge to it, even though it can get a bit frustrating if you keep getting hit by items. The Grand Prix mode is fun as usual, and battles and missions can provide a good alternative if competitive racing isn't your thing. Hours of fun can also be had on Wireless Connection and Wi-Fi Connection with friends and strangers. Not many characters are available and the graphics aren't amazing, but overall this has to be a contender for the best Mario Kart game of all time. Expand
  54. May 7, 2011
    Every Mario Kart game is biased. I was playing multiplayer with my friend and I noticed whenever she was first there was absolutely no blue shells. When I was first I got absolutely annihilated. Plus it's all the same and little skill is needed.
  55. Apr 2, 2015
    It's easy to see some of the reasons why MKDS is regarded as the best Mario Kart. The gameplay is nearly perfect, the track collection is great (and the largest of its time), it has possibly the best battle mode in the game, the new mission mode is a great addition (that would've been great in later games), AND it's the first online MK. So... why a 7, instead of a 10? The reasons may seemIt's easy to see some of the reasons why MKDS is regarded as the best Mario Kart. The gameplay is nearly perfect, the track collection is great (and the largest of its time), it has possibly the best battle mode in the game, the new mission mode is a great addition (that would've been great in later games), AND it's the first online MK. So... why a 7, instead of a 10? The reasons may seem minor, but they really affect the enjoyableness of the game. First, the AI aren't too smart (or fast in most tracks), making the single player painfully easy. Secondly, getting drift boosts quickly can be very easy, allowing what's called "snaking" in multiplayer. It's possibly the most overpowered exploit I've ever seen. Being in single player and multiplayer races, these problems are very difficult to avoid, unless you only play battle mode or mission mode. Despite these issues, the game itself is still great, and you should be able to have a good time with friends playing this DS classic. Expand
  56. Nov 13, 2012
    Great game. Almost flawless. It still has powerups that doom the drivers in first place but thats a given. Other than the fact the multiplayer is full of cheaters, its arguably one of the best nintendo ds games out there
  57. Aug 1, 2011
    People can nitpick about minor issues, but here's the truth. Mario Kart DS is a great racing game, and that's hard to deny. It's addictive and very fun to play. Great game!
  58. Jul 28, 2014
    Some of my review may be slightly biased, due to this game blinding me with the most nostalgia, since it was one of my childhood games. Mario Kart DS is as close as you can get to the ultimate Mario Kart games. While this game doesn't look as good as Double Dash just did and it doesn't have as much strategy, there is a great simplicity about it that you enjoy.
    Sporting fantastic gameplay,
    Sporting fantastic gameplay, many of the best courses of Mario Kart history, some brilliant music and bright and colorful graphics. Only complaints are slightly cramped controls, but that may just be me because I have big hands, but hey. The items are well balanced and so are the Retro stage's consistency, although not all the courses were great, but hey. My favorite in the series, along with Double Dash and 8. I don't know why people say this game is one of the worst when it's not!
  59. Adultgamer
    Dec 1, 2005
    not a bad attempt but still nothing compairs to the original SNES version. i think its time to upgrade to a better handheld. and while we are hear have you seen the mess of burnout DS, this hand held is just not made to display 3D graphics.
  60. AnonymousMC
    Nov 24, 2006
    DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks DS Sucks PSP Rocks PSP Rocks PSP Rocks PSP Rocks PSP Rucks DS SUCKS PSP ROCKS
  61. JamesD.
    Jan 30, 2006
    An excellent game to play both wireless and alone.
  62. MathewA.
    Jan 8, 2006
    Mario Kart DS is worth buying for the single player experience alone, but the addition of online gameplay and wireless multiplayer make it a must-buy for any DS owner out there. Not quite a ten, but pretty damn close.
  63. MichaelA.
    Mar 30, 2006
    This game is so unbelievably great! My only downside is that the AI is too easy, but I found a way to make beating the computers harder. This game definitely deserves a 10. Nintendo, you've done it again!
  64. C.Henry
    Jul 21, 2006
    All the best aspects of Mario Kart, and you can bring it with you. Local WiFi and worldwide online play is awesome (except for snakers.)
  65. SaphireP.
    Mar 4, 2007
    If you don't have an wireless connection it's an awful shame because you're missing out on a lot of fun that could be have, but even without online multiplayer the game fares well in itself with bonus mission and time trial modes, it puts itself up as the best and most popular Mario Kart title in the series so far. Keep on kartin'
  66. GraedenN
    Oct 13, 2009
    Love this game, the best game I've ever play on the DS. Awesome graphics and ability to make your own emblems for other people to see on Wifi.
  67. HartD.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Best racing game ever on a handheld, possibly the best handheld game ever. It is worth buying a DS just to play MK: DS. Online is flawless, including a handy rival mode where you are paired with people at your level of skill.
  68. AnonymousMC
    Nov 18, 2005
    I have to agree with "the knife" below... its so good it makes double dash poop. although i never had an hour long professional blowjob, or an iv drip of rich belgian chocolate, I too just shit myself playing this amazing title. best kart game ever!!! the only way i would give up this game is for that 1 hr long professional blowjob.... then i would go out and buy it all over again.
  69. AnthonyC.
    Jan 19, 2006
    MKDS is a great game. It does what it sets out to do. Quick, VERY fun spurts of gaming. Excellent and smooth graphics. I play this portable game on WIFI more than I play my consoles. A must buy if you have WIFI.
  70. BlueFalcon
    Dec 24, 2006
    Mission mode is an excellent addition to the series. The single player grand prix was getting a little stale just on it's own. The ai is quite excellent - it's not the horrible elasticband stuff from mk 64. I have 1 minor gripe about the entire game. When off the track, the sand/mud/grass slows you down way too much. It kind of takes away from the authenticism of the retro Mission mode is an excellent addition to the series. The single player grand prix was getting a little stale just on it's own. The ai is quite excellent - it's not the horrible elasticband stuff from mk 64. I have 1 minor gripe about the entire game. When off the track, the sand/mud/grass slows you down way too much. It kind of takes away from the authenticism of the retro tracks since none of the other games had it. Offroading is too punishing, but doesn't prevent mk ds from being an outstanding game. Expand
  71. JimmyK.
    Jan 26, 2006
    This is an awesome game especially if you have wifi. If you don't you can still play up to 7 people only if one person has the game. Perfect for school bus rides!
  72. AlexP.
    Jan 3, 2006
    Immense! Well and truely! Delivers the goods just like any of its predecessors. Cant wait to get my WiFi USB connecter and play against the World. Good going Nintendo!
  73. JG
    Feb 10, 2006
    This is what the DS has been waiting for, finally a game that is very entertaining and the online mode is awesome!
  74. Richard
    Apr 11, 2006
    Wow! This game definitely lived up to the hype! The graphics are smooth and slick and the controls are very simple easy to learn. The online experience is incredible and setting up is just as easy as turning on the game. There are tons of modes and stuff that you can do. In addition to the grand prix and time trials, you have over 50 unique missions that are designed to improve your Wow! This game definitely lived up to the hype! The graphics are smooth and slick and the controls are very simple easy to learn. The online experience is incredible and setting up is just as easy as turning on the game. There are tons of modes and stuff that you can do. In addition to the grand prix and time trials, you have over 50 unique missions that are designed to improve your skills offensively and defensively. Mario Kart DS is truly a masterful racing game; it is a Mario kart fan's dream come true. It has brought the Mario kart series into full gear and boy, what a rush of fun! Expand
  75. BalthamosN.
    Apr 3, 2006
    Pretty fun game. If you liked Mario Kart 64, then you will probably like this game. As in all racing games, you go through tournaments and circuits. A new addition is missions; you are told to do something "like collect x coins in x seconds". Those will keep you occupied for a little bit. Multiplayer makes it a blast to play. Theres nothing better than playing with a bunch of your Pretty fun game. If you liked Mario Kart 64, then you will probably like this game. As in all racing games, you go through tournaments and circuits. A new addition is missions; you are told to do something "like collect x coins in x seconds". Those will keep you occupied for a little bit. Multiplayer makes it a blast to play. Theres nothing better than playing with a bunch of your MarioKart 64 vet friends and the horrifying scream of "blue shell". A must if you like Mario Kart. Expand
  76. MarioS.
    Jul 15, 2006
    I love this game, It's great, I havn't figured out the best racer yet, It's great though.
  77. AlejandroG.
    Aug 10, 2006
    It lacks the necessary variety in the single player mode. Overhandicapped in multiplayer mode.
  78. TimS.
    Jan 6, 2007
    This game is like Halo 2...the reason it is so amazing is because of the online feature. It is a great game but they need more new levels. There's like 6. Otherwise they just combine levels from double dash and Mario Kart 64 and Super Circuit. BUY IT
  79. TomW.
    Feb 8, 2007
    One of the best DS games, just too bad the Wi-Fi play doesn't let 8 people getting connected, like in the wireless multiplayer.
  80. AndyV.
    Mar 1, 2007
    OMG! I LOVE this game! It by far outstrips mksuper! This is the first true must have Nintendo game of the decade. Keep the MK's coming!
  81. GeorgeC.
    Apr 7, 2007
    I read the reviews and they were all good for Mario Kart DS. I thought that it would actually be a good game, since the DS doesn't have many fun games. I got my DS about a year ago and I got it with a game, Metroid Prime Hunters, which I didn't enjoy playing. I haven't touched my DS for about 6 months and I thought this game would change that, but when I got it, it was very I read the reviews and they were all good for Mario Kart DS. I thought that it would actually be a good game, since the DS doesn't have many fun games. I got my DS about a year ago and I got it with a game, Metroid Prime Hunters, which I didn't enjoy playing. I haven't touched my DS for about 6 months and I thought this game would change that, but when I got it, it was very dissapointing. The graphics are pretty bad. The handling for the cars is impossible to get used to. The sound is repetitive and I ended up playing with the sound off. This game has only a few tracks, and they got boring after the first or second time I raced on them (One track held my interest for maybe five races though). After a day of playing this game I am afraid to say that my DS will begin collecting dust on my shelf, until another game that looks fun comes around. Expand
  82. DesmondF.
    Jun 3, 2007
    best mariokart game ever
  83. DavidN.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It isn't perfect by any means, but it's the best racing game on the DS, and I dare say, THE best game on the DS at the moment. From the lame trend of 'casual games' for the DS, I see Mario Kart being the top title for a long time.
  84. OliverE.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Mario Kart is the best ! I like it because it is really challenging and all the characters are so cool ! I love the item attacks because they seem so weird ! I hope this gets into you. It's the best game Nintendo have ever created
  85. ZackP.
    Sep 29, 2007
    This game is not that good it is way to easy.
  86. HexenM.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I like this game but their are not enough corses to play on. It is fun at all turms.The Wi-fi mode is fun and meny times I've gotten 1st place in it. I wish that their were more corses.I would give it a 9 out of 10.
  87. JulianR
    Nov 10, 2008
    An absolutely brilliant game. One of the best DS games ever made. My only issue is it's very easy to get frustrated, especially with 150 cc mirror.
  88. 4Boys
    Jan 3, 2008
    Mario Kart is brilliant. There are lots of characters, karts and tracks. 4 players can play against each other - great fun.
  89. johnl
    Aug 7, 2009
    it is one of the best games in the world. best graphics in the world today but it is hard to find things on the internet that is on the game
  90. MikeB.
    Nov 14, 2005
    This game is excellent, it combines the best parts of all the previous games and then adds some awesome now parts.
  91. Salmon
    Nov 16, 2005
    So freckin´ awesome. Best Mario Kart ever made.
  92. DarrenZ.
    Nov 16, 2005
    There's really nothing bad to say about this one. I took off one point because of the anemic online options and lack of Rumble Pak support, but those are niggling criticisms at best. This is a terrific game!
  93. JackS.
    Nov 21, 2005
    i think it was really good but one down is that i finished it in about 1 and a half days(and i wasn't playting it continously). all in all i thought is was EXCELLENT*. * May be biased
  94. JoshG.
    Nov 28, 2005
    This is the best game for the ds so far and it allows gamers to play for hours at a time with the story, multiplayer download play, and Wi-Fi internet. In my eyes this game is flawless.
  95. BobJ.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Great racing game, Mario Kart fans will love this game. You get more karts, new tracks, and sweat unlocable chacters.
  96. ChiltonP.
    Oct 2, 2006
    I loved this game. Its one of the best racing games to date. I beat it so mant times but I still love it.
  97. BrianD.
    Jan 29, 2006
    A perfect Mario Kart game. Wish there were more N64 tracks though.
    Mar 16, 2006
    Best DS game
  99. JohnnyD.
    Apr 27, 2006
    this game really good challanging and fun , their are some raelly good tracks many fun caracktars and unlockabals.
  100. Oct 28, 2011

Everything about MKDS comes together into a surprisingly compelling package, a portable racing game on par with anything ever to appear on a console.
  2. Reason alone to own the DS platform. All of the fun that has been intrinsic to the series is intact, and the much-anticipated online component simply seals the deal. This is best game in the series by far, and perhaps the best kart-style racing game ever to come along.
    It's hard to imagine how Nintendo's going to improve on what they've done for this stunning portable rendition. There's so much gameplay and depth in this design, moreso than the series has ever had in the past.