Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time DS

8.5

1. Jul 23, 2016
    This is the second game of the original Mario & Luigi Trilogy. For me, all of them were perfect. But some users try to compare it to Paper Mario, even tough this series are a sequel for the original Mario RPG game for SNES, that's appreciable due to its combat system and the original story. Even tough it has continuity despite having a different story and characters. Anyways, this game isThis is the second game of the original Mario & Luigi Trilogy. For me, all of them were perfect. But some users try to compare it to Paper Mario, even tough this series are a sequel for the original Mario RPG game for SNES, that's appreciable due to its combat system and the original story. Even tough it has continuity despite having a different story and characters. Anyways, this game is the perfect way to make an original story in a trilogy. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2016
    This game is amazing and I see the game's amazing story and amazing gameplay. The graphics are great and the music is amazing! This game is a little boring and is strange in the story but doesn't mean the game is bad!
  3. Apr 9, 2016
    Mario & Luigi Partners in Time's plot is one of a kind. The game has outstanding boss fights, the music is amazing, and a perfect mix of action some shocking moments (I won't mention one big one. Not going to mention it because it would be a spoiler), with light moments of comedy.
  4. Mar 1, 2016
    Excessively lengthy boss fights ruin what would otherwise be alright game.

Excessively lengthy boss fights ruin what would otherwise be alright game.

But although they were the biggest, the bosses aren't the only problem this game has. The game felt extremely linear, both with how they gave you field moves the at the beginning of every "chapter" the same exact way every time, and as well with how every single area of the game is in a completely different map only accessible through the hub world. Also the replacement of bros. moves with bros. items didn't work very well.

But it also manages some good things as well. The dialog, both banter and otherwise, is, as you'd come to expect from it's predecessors, fairly well written. The story is pretty good albeit a little confusing at times.
    Other than that this game also lays some groundwork for the mechanics that made it's sequel great.
  5. Feb 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man...this is one of the best mario and luigi games i have played, next to BIS of course. The reason i like this is because it adds an new gamepaly element to it, being able to use the two new buttons the DS gave us, and worked it into the plot, which is another part i like, its darker than any of the other titles, and im not joking, the first area you go to in the past, the shroobs, KILL the mario brothers, and the forest, toads have their life force drained and drunk by a shroobified wiggler...one of the toads are drained before your eyes! But in spote of those moments we are presented with the charm that this series is known for Expand
  6. Jan 18, 2016
    It's a decent sequel in the Mario and Luigi series, but nowhere near as good as the other ones in the series. The story is weak, confusing and rushed. There aren't many interesting characters. The combat mechanics are clever, but some points in the game are extremely hard and packed with artificial difficulty. It's good for one playthrough, but doesn't have enough appeal for any more than that.
  7. Dec 27, 2015
    It's not really the best of them all, but it's still decent from the series. Just hang on to your baby self and hop on to the adventure of time. You'll have fun throughout the most of the time played on this game.
  8. Dec 26, 2015
    This is easily the best game in the Mario and Luigi franchise! The game play aspects are gripping, the switching between bros keeps it interesting and the puzzles make for a good challenge. The only flaw I could find would be the small flaws in the story line but overall a great game!!!
  9. Dec 27, 2014
    Battling in this game is ridiculously difficult and repetitive. Some of the areas and battles just drag on and on and on. Some enemies can take 50% of your health in one hit, spam over 5 attacks in one turn, and heal like crazy. I don't know why Nintendo decided to make this game so difficult and long.

As for the overworld parts of the game, it's pretty fun. There are some interesting puzzles and neat moves the 4 characters can use to navigate around the world.
  10. Nov 15, 2014
    An improvement upon the first game and probably my favourite in the series although I haven't played dream team bros yet. However I feel like this series will never be worth a 9 or 10 unless dream team proves otherwise.
  11. May 12, 2014
    An amazing entry to the Mario & Luigi series. Its innovative new gameplay, dark plot, hilarious humor, good graphics, and amazing soundtrack makes it a must own experience for every DS owners.
  12. Apr 14, 2014
    It truly, truly pains me to write this review. I just cannot find it in myself to like this game. To begin, the game just drags on and on in each area and the game is very formulaic. Worst of all, I could not enjoy the combat system: maintaining control over four characters to pull off special attacks is a very frustrating chore. The special attacks have also replaced the Bros. AttacksIt truly, truly pains me to write this review. I just cannot find it in myself to like this game. To begin, the game just drags on and on in each area and the game is very formulaic. Worst of all, I could not enjoy the combat system: maintaining control over four characters to pull off special attacks is a very frustrating chore. The special attacks have also replaced the Bros. Attacks from Superstar Saga, and each one is a repetitive, pointlessly tedious mini-game that eats up time and makes the battles drag as well as the areas. The game has nothing but padding and I just wanted it to end.

Presentation-wise, the game is passable, but nothing impressive. The game's graphics barely pass a GBA title. As for the music, if you were to ask me what soundtrack belonged to what area, I would not be able to tell you.

Thankfully, the game's story does have some funny moments: hearing Mario say "babies" cracks me up. Overall, though, the story or characters doesn't redeem this game (you know from the beginning everything will turn out well: where are the Shroob aliens present-day?!).

As I said already, I hate that I do not like this game, seeing as how Superstar Saga is among my favorite games of all time. There's hardly anything to take away from this game. A poor sequel.
  13. Apr 10, 2014
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is the most beautiful and enjoyable game produced by Mario and Luigi franchise yet. It's graphics may not be totally ranked in the A-team but for its coherent story and interesting premise, it's a big winner for me. With great soundtracks and especially a stunning epic music at the ending of the game.
  14. Apr 3, 2014
    sorry to people who liked it, but this game was a pain to endure, it felt like a filler episode of a show, and there's soooo much padding.
    the plot is weak, the development of it is weak, and a lot of elements seem to have been thrown into it just to make it more complicated and pad it more. the ending comes rather abruptly, and a lot of plot threads lead nowhere, they are there just to keep you distracted longer.

the battle system, while and evolution of the system from the first game, became confusing, you'll find yourself many times mistaking baby mario or luigi for their grown up counterparts in the battle sequences where you have a milisecond to guess which bro is falling.
    the enemies have no personality or motivation either.
    all in all, this is just a cheap sequel to get the franchise going, if you can, skip directly to bowser's inside story, there's no plot on this, you are not missing anything at all
    I'd bet this was co-developed by ghost developer TOSE
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    Meh... It's not as bad as Touch & Go, but is DEFINITELY not as good as it's successors. The one thing that makes it good is that it is SUPER difficult. Don't even get me started on Elder Princess Shroob.
  16. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is just drop-jaw amazing, by far the best out of the series, and the main antagonists, The Shroobs, are my favorite enemies in the Mario series HANDS-DOWN. Sure they go a little War of the Worlds on the Mushroom Kingdom by killing toads for their life force to power their epic flying saucers, but nobody else in the series has ever been that evil! Anyway, the gameplay gets a little annoying at times because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are very weak and the Mario bros. aren't around when I need them the most for baby fights. Some of the bosses near the end of the game are extremely challenging but fun, as were the puzzles. Its much more serious than the rest of the series, probably because of the alien invasion, something I don't mind, but it's not as funny as the first. Final score is 8.5 for me, but I'll give it a 9 because I'm feeling generous today. Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is just as amazing as the first game, and adding two more characters, Baby Mario and Luigi, to the mix simply adds to the fun and endless possibilities. The story involves aliens, which I would have never seen in a Nintendo game ever. It has been a while since I last played the game and have forgotten most of the game mechanics, but the turn-base combat system is back and betterThis game is just as amazing as the first game, and adding two more characters, Baby Mario and Luigi, to the mix simply adds to the fun and endless possibilities. The story involves aliens, which I would have never seen in a Nintendo game ever. It has been a while since I last played the game and have forgotten most of the game mechanics, but the turn-base combat system is back and better than ever, with more ways to attack enemies with Bro Items. The humor still exists in the game, and the visuals are still gorgeous. Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved Partners in Time when it first launched on the DS way back in late 2005.

In creating such a hugely entertaining and deliciously whimsical series of turn-based RPG spin-off's, plucked directly from Super Mario Bros' universe of timeless tales and endearing characters, Nintendo pulled off a master stroke. And at the time, Partners in Time represented the very pinnacle of the Japanese firms seemingly endless creativity and knack of almost Disney-esque quality story telling.

Even after all these years, it remains my favourite episode from Nintendo's much loved franchise of 'Mario & Luigi' soft-RPG's, beating the GBA original, Superstar Saga and third installment, Bowsers Inside Story (DS) in the process.

But while pipping the excellent Superstar Saga and Bowsers Inside Story to the post is by no means a small feat, for me Partners in Time represents so much more than 'just' the standout title in Nintendo's three-episode franchise. Indeed, as far as I'm concerned, it's also one of the finest handheld games ever made! Period. A bonafide classic and shall doubtless be remembered in Nintendo folklore for generations to come.

I wonder if we will be heaping similar praise on Mario & Luigi's fourth instalment, and franchise debut on Nintendo 3DS, Dream Team Bros, say eight to ten years from now? While I doubt it, we must concede that it's way too early to say. Well, for the time being at least. But of this we can be certain; if ever there was a developer armed with the passion, know-how, and above all, unbridled talent, necessary to create endearing, loveable, and genuinely special games that stand the test of time, it's Nintendo.

Looking back, I sill adore Partners in Time every bit as much now as I did in back 2005. If not more. Looking forward, I have nothing but the highest hopes for the upcoming Dream Team Bros.

Long live Mario & Luigi.
  19. Jun 15, 2013
    I like this series almost as much as I like Paper Mario, but this one was somewhat underwhelming. The whole time travel scenario is just for show, as the past is just an excuse to throw the babies in the mix. The various time portals are basically the equivalent of level portals, as they transport you to secluded areas which are basically dungeons. There is no open world and you can'tI like this series almost as much as I like Paper Mario, but this one was somewhat underwhelming. The whole time travel scenario is just for show, as the past is just an excuse to throw the babies in the mix. The various time portals are basically the equivalent of level portals, as they transport you to secluded areas which are basically dungeons. There is no open world and you can't explore anything other than the castle in the present, so really, the entire time travel aspect is severely underused.
    The gameplay is pretty fun as always, and gets challenging later on, but I feel like the 4 button gameplay is a bit convoluted. The battles do get repetitive in the long run.
    The RPG elements are very light but acceptable for this kind of game. The music is pretty good, has many remixed tunes from Super Mario 64, and some original ones, overall it's acceptable, but not too special. Sound effects are typical Mario stuff, with Mario and Luigi talking in their made up language, which is pretty funny.

Overall, it's a fun game, but I don't see myself replaying it any time soon because of the seriously underwhelming setting, convoluted button combinations, and repetitive combat.
  20. Feb 18, 2013
    This is a really awesome RPG, with great story twists, fun, challenging, and innovative gameplay, good graphics, great music, you really cant go wrong with this game. This is one of marios absolute best RPG games, highly recommended to any DS owner. The game is rather short, but it is an amazing experience, that shouldnt be missed, but any means.
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    Mario it's a very talented man , showing in sports games, saving the princess a thousand of times , he also participates in countless of racing competition, also maintains his positive reputation against the show off Sonic and heck ! He even has his own RPG. Thats impressive for this mature man, anyway , Mario & Luigi Partners in Time it's a different take and also a very fresh entry onMario it's a very talented man , showing in sports games, saving the princess a thousand of times , he also participates in countless of racing competition, also maintains his positive reputation against the show off Sonic and heck ! He even has his own RPG. Thats impressive for this mature man, anyway , Mario & Luigi Partners in Time it's a different take and also a very fresh entry on the already huge franchise . The game is overall interesting until the end, but after that start feeling empty and boring. While the take, wasn't that much of a full RPG side I'm pleased with many of the ideas taken from triple A franchise's and the story is great for awhile , however , everything is forgettable after beating the game. Expand
  22. PippaS
    Dec 31, 2009
    This game is unique in the fact it has baby marios and luigis and lots of funny and entertaining new charctor forms and ideas. The only not so good thing is some bits and challenges are a tiny bit easy.
  23. AutumnF
    Nov 28, 2009
    Half of the time you have no idea what is going on!
  24. SuperRater
    Nov 5, 2009
    When i first got this game I didn't know what to expect. But once I started to play it the game had me hooked. The game compines the original battleing from Paper Mario and gives it a more 3D look to it. Not to mention all the new abilities you use in the game. This game is really fun to play and is by far way better than Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. But it does When i first got this game I didn't know what to expect. But once I started to play it the game had me hooked. The game compines the original battleing from Paper Mario and gives it a more 3D look to it. Not to mention all the new abilities you use in the game. This game is really fun to play and is by far way better than Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. But it does have its downfall. The game is a little bit to easy when it comes to the boss fights and little battles you play inbetween. This is coming from a player who knows what he is talking about because the last boss battle is a lot harder than all the others. All in all this is a great game to play for any Mario fan out there. Expand
  25. LukeJ
    Mar 10, 2009
    This game had spectacular gameplay, hilarious cutscenes, a varied array of many characters, and many hours of extreme fun. Any DS owner should definently get this, and if you dont own a DS, get one, just for this game.
  26. TorA.
    Nov 24, 2007
    It lets you have fun and helps your imagination. it is not a wast of money!
  27. StevenC.
    May 29, 2007
    Having not played the previous (and supposedly fairly similar) Mario & Luigi GBA game, I bought this game with an open mind. The game focuses around Mario & Luigi, and their "partners in time" mario and luigi babies. Going round the slightly loony plot (going back in time here and there, killing alien mushrooms called shroobs) There are plenty of puzzles involving both pairs of bros, or Having not played the previous (and supposedly fairly similar) Mario & Luigi GBA game, I bought this game with an open mind. The game focuses around Mario & Luigi, and their "partners in time" mario and luigi babies. Going round the slightly loony plot (going back in time here and there, killing alien mushrooms called shroobs) There are plenty of puzzles involving both pairs of bros, or just one of the pairs, although for the most part they're trivial and there's no other way you can do it. The battle system is turn based fighting that properly rewards good reactions speeds and quick thinking, be it attacking (chaining your special item attacks to produce the most damage you possibly can, which is tough on the final real high damage items) or defending (counter attacks or simply evading attacks from the enemies). The boss fights, as with most of the enemies, is merely a case of working out the attacks and then trying to capitalize on taking the least damage possible, and all fights are fairly simple in the game. It will likely take you less than 20 hours to complete the game if you know what you're doing, and the unfortunate thing is there's no real replay value in the game. Still, an ejoyable title that gives you smiles along the way with its mild humour. And by the way - if you can get a string of "great" hits on the Mix and CopyFlowers, you're a better man than me. Expand
  28. AndrewC.
    Jan 10, 2007
    As a huge fan of the original Mario & Luigi (one of the very best GBA games ever!), I was surprised by how little its sequel did right. The battle system works all right, though almost every boss battle is way too drawn out and easy. The dialogue and story are both rather weak in comparison to the original, and the adventure is rather linear. There are absolutely no sidequests, so the As a huge fan of the original Mario & Luigi (one of the very best GBA games ever!), I was surprised by how little its sequel did right. The battle system works all right, though almost every boss battle is way too drawn out and easy. The dialogue and story are both rather weak in comparison to the original, and the adventure is rather linear. There are absolutely no sidequests, so the value of the game is nil. Really, really disappointing. Could have been more, but the satisfying moments are few and far between. Shame... Expand
  29. SteveR.
    Aug 15, 2006
    This is a game to end quite a few games. The entire thing was hilarious, to the point that it doesn't get old. Plus, the twists in the plot. I never would have seen it coming. I say, if you don't like this game, then screw you! This game was worth every penny! Anyway, it's one of those RPG's that you would hate yourself if you hated it.
  30. AlejandroG.
    Aug 10, 2006
    Moderately long, with almost no replayability, yet fun and (a bit) challenging. The final battle takes almost 2 hours to finish.
  31. NonyaN.
    Jul 16, 2006
    The best DS game out there.
  32. CoreyS.
    May 20, 2006
    A great game, but it's not better than the orginal in any way.
  33. CraigT.
    Apr 4, 2006
    One of the best RPG Game I have ever played in a while and I'll still play it even when I beat it. A worthy buy!!!
  34. MichaelA.
    Mar 29, 2006
    This game is so awesome! The graphics are creative, the story is interesting, the humor is very funny (and will leave a smile on your face), and plot twists are at their best. The only downside I have about this game is that it's not long enough.
  35. HunterR.
    Dec 27, 2005
    A flawed but fun RPG. While I didn't find it as funny as many of the reviewers, the cute graphics and story will fill that nostalgic niche for players of the original Super Mario RPG. The biggest problem is the complete disregard of the DS's unique hardware. The second screen is used as a map, which was probably a result of developers saying "Okay, we've got the game done. A flawed but fun RPG. While I didn't find it as funny as many of the reviewers, the cute graphics and story will fill that nostalgic niche for players of the original Super Mario RPG. The biggest problem is the complete disregard of the DS's unique hardware. The second screen is used as a map, which was probably a result of developers saying "Okay, we've got the game done. now, what should we do with that stupid extra screen?" It's not very innovative or original, but Partners in Time is a solid RPG for Nintendo DS, and is worth your time and money. Expand
  36. OneResolve
    Dec 26, 2005
    This is a great game!!! However, i feel that it doesnt compare to paper mario and mario rpg (the only other mario rpg styled games i have played). still, this game makes great use of the dual screens. the game seems more focused on constant battling and ever changing patterns. you really only use the touchscreen once or twice. Very innovative and fun. I played the game almost constantly This is a great game!!! However, i feel that it doesnt compare to paper mario and mario rpg (the only other mario rpg styled games i have played). still, this game makes great use of the dual screens. the game seems more focused on constant battling and ever changing patterns. you really only use the touchscreen once or twice. Very innovative and fun. I played the game almost constantly and it took me 21 hours to finish, which is a good deal of length. I felt this game could use more towns and more NPCs to interact with. By far the best rpg on the DS(lunar is pretty terrible.) Could have been better, thats why im giving this game an 8.5 (if meta would let me.) Expand
  37. MasterC.
    Dec 23, 2005
    this game is da bomb! this RPG isnt just RPG, it has everything all in one. I gotta tell u: the nintendo DS is getting way better!
  38. LilyP.
    Dec 22, 2005
    This game is amazing. Everything from the story to the graphics exceeded my expectations. Plus the babies are just so darn cute.
  39. TonyG.
    Dec 3, 2005
    very creative, amazing gameplay, funny dialouge. must buy this season. nintendo, hats off to you guys for amazing titles! would love super smash bros. for the ds. It would be amazing on dual screens. would destroy jump superstars. 3 cheers for super smash bros. ds!
  40. DonaldD.
    Dec 1, 2005
    Super fun to play. The concept is great, the only problem I have with this game is that I dont have enough time to play it. Nintendo tends to know how to make games.

#8 Most Discussed DS Game of 2005
#6 Most Shared DS Game of 2005

1. Play Magazine
    I don't often get a good belly laugh from a video game, but then not many games pack the humorous charm of Mario and Luigi 2... [Nov p.99]
  2. Nintendo Power
    A worthy follow-up to "Superstar Saga," and the first great RPG on the DS. [Jan 2006, p.110]
  3. Game Informer
    It may not be the most emotionally complex RPG on the market, but it's solid entertainment with a quirky twist. [Dec 2005, p.187]