8.4

1. May 12, 2014
    An amazing entry to the Mario & Luigi series. Its innovative new gameplay, dark plot, hilarious humor, good graphics, and amazing soundtrack makes it a must own experience for every DS owners.
  2. Apr 14, 2014
    It truly, truly pains me to write this review. I just cannot find it in myself to like this game. To begin, the game just drags on and on in each area and the game is very formulaic. Worst of all, I could not enjoy the combat system: maintaining control over four characters to pull off special attacks is a very frustrating chore. The special attacks have also replaced the Bros. Attacks from Superstar Saga, and each one is a repetitive, pointlessly tedious mini-game that eats up time and makes the battles drag as well as the areas. The game has nothing but padding and I just wanted it to end.

Presentation-wise, the game is passable, but nothing impressive. The game's graphics barely pass a GBA title. As for the music, if you were to ask me what soundtrack belonged to what area, I would not be able to tell you.

Thankfully, the game's story does have some funny moments: hearing Mario say "babies" cracks me up. Overall, though, the story or characters doesn't redeem this game (you know from the beginning everything will turn out well: where are the Shroob aliens present-day?!).

As I said already, I hate that I do not like this game, seeing as how Superstar Saga is among my favorite games of all time. There's hardly anything to take away from this game. A poor sequel.
  3. Apr 10, 2014
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is the most beautiful and enjoyable game produced by Mario and Luigi franchise yet. It's graphics may not be totally ranked in the A-team but for its coherent story and interesting premise, it's a big winner for me. With great soundtracks and especially a stunning epic music at the ending of the game.
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    sorry to people who liked it, but this game was a pain to endure, it felt like a filler episode of a show, and there's soooo much padding.
    the plot is weak, the development of it is weak, and a lot of elements seem to have been thrown into it just to make it more complicated and pad it more. the ending comes rather abruptly, and a lot of plot threads lead nowhere, they are there just to
    keep you distracted longer.

the battle system, while and evolution of the system from the first game, became confusing, you'll find yourself many times mistaking baby mario or luigi for their grown up counterparts in the battle sequences where you have a milisecond to guess which bro is falling.
    the enemies have no personality or motivation either.
    all in all, this is just a cheap sequel to get the franchise going, if you can, skip directly to bowser's inside story, there's no plot on this, you are not missing anything at all
    I'd bet this was co-developed by ghost developer TOSE
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    Meh... It's not as bad as Touch & Go, but is DEFINITELY not as good as it's successors. The one thing that makes it good is that it is SUPER difficult. Don't even get me started on Elder Princess Shroob.
  6. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is just drop-jaw amazing, by far the best out of the series, and the main antagonists, The Shroobs, are my favorite enemies in the Mario series HANDS-DOWN. Sure they go a little War of the Worlds on the Mushroom Kingdom by killing toads for their life force to power their epic flying saucers, but nobody else in the series has ever been that evil! Anyway, the gameplay gets a little annoying at times because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are very weak and the Mario bros. aren't around when I need them the most for baby fights. Some of the bosses near the end of the game are extremely challenging but fun, as were the puzzles. Its much more serious than the rest of the series, probably because of the alien invasion, something I don't mind, but it's not as funny as the first. Final score is 8.5 for me, but I'll give it a 9 because I'm feeling generous today. Expand
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is just as amazing as the first game, and adding two more characters, Baby Mario and Luigi, to the mix simply adds to the fun and endless possibilities. The story involves aliens, which I would have never seen in a Nintendo game ever. It has been a while since I last played the game and have forgotten most of the game mechanics, but the turn-base combat system is back and better than ever, with more ways to attack enemies with Bro Items. The humor still exists in the game, and the visuals are still gorgeous. Expand
  8. Jul 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved Partners in Time when it first launched on the DS way back in late 2005.

In creating such a hugely entertaining and deliciously whimsical series of turn-based RPG spin-off's, plucked directly from Super Mario Bros' universe of timeless tales and endearing characters, Nintendo pulled off a master stroke. And at the time, Partners in Time represented the very pinnacle
    of the Japanese firms seemingly endless creativity and knack of almost Disney-esque quality story telling.

Even after all these years, it remains my favourite episode from Nintendo's much loved franchise of 'Mario & Luigi' soft-RPG's, beating the GBA original, Superstar Saga and third installment, Bowsers Inside Story (DS) in the process.

But while pipping the excellent Superstar Saga and Bowsers Inside Story to the post is by no means a small feat, for me Partners in Time represents so much more than 'just' the standout title in Nintendo's three-episode franchise. Indeed, as far as I'm concerned, it's also one of the finest handheld games ever made! Period. A bonafide classic and shall doubtless be remembered in Nintendo folklore for generations to come.

I wonder if we will be heaping similar praise on Mario & Luigi's fourth instalment, and franchise debut on Nintendo 3DS, Dream Team Bros, say eight to ten years from now? While I doubt it, we must concede that it's way too early to say. Well, for the time being at least. But of this we can be certain; if ever there was a developer armed with the passion, know-how, and above all, unbridled talent, necessary to create endearing, loveable, and genuinely special games that stand the test of time, it's Nintendo.

Looking back, I sill adore Partners in Time every bit as much now as I did in back 2005. If not more. Looking forward, I have nothing but the highest hopes for the upcoming Dream Team Bros.

Long live Mario & Luigi.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    I like this series almost as much as I like Paper Mario, but this one was somewhat underwhelming. The whole time travel scenario is just for show, as the past is just an excuse to throw the babies in the mix. The various time portals are basically the equivalent of level portals, as they transport you to secluded areas which are basically dungeons. There is no open world and you can't explore anything other than the castle in the present, so really, the entire time travel aspect is severely underused.
    The gameplay is pretty fun as always, and gets challenging later on, but I feel like the 4 button gameplay is a bit convoluted. The battles do get repetitive in the long run.
    The RPG elements are very light but acceptable for this kind of game. The music is pretty good, has many remixed tunes from Super Mario 64, and some original ones, overall it's acceptable, but not too special. Sound effects are typical Mario stuff, with Mario and Luigi talking in their made up language, which is pretty funny.

Overall, it's a fun game, but I don't see myself replaying it any time soon because of the seriously underwhelming setting, convoluted button combinations, and repetitive combat.
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    This is a really awesome RPG, with great story twists, fun, challenging, and innovative gameplay, good graphics, great music, you really cant go wrong with this game. This is one of marios absolute best RPG games, highly recommended to any DS owner. The game is rather short, but it is an amazing experience, that shouldnt be missed, but any means.
  11. Mar 26, 2012
    Mario it's a very talented man , showing in sports games, saving the princess a thousand of times , he also participates in countless of racing competition, also maintains his positive reputation against the show off Sonic and heck ! He even has his own RPG. Thats impressive for this mature man, anyway , Mario & Luigi Partners in Time it's a different take and also a very fresh entry on the already huge franchise . The game is overall interesting until the end, but after that start feeling empty and boring. While the take, wasn't that much of a full RPG side I'm pleased with many of the ideas taken from triple A franchise's and the story is great for awhile , however , everything is forgettable after beating the game. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2013

1. I don't often get a good belly laugh from a video game, but then not many games pack the humorous charm of Mario and Luigi 2... [Nov p.99]
  2. A worthy follow-up to "Superstar Saga," and the first great RPG on the DS. [Jan 2006, p.110]
  3. It may not be the most emotionally complex RPG on the market, but it's solid entertainment with a quirky twist. [Dec 2005, p.187]