8.5

1. Nov 7, 2011
    It is an easy game but it has addicting gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the older side-scrolling Mario games but somehow this game is unique from some of the others. It is one of the best Nintendo DS games.
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    "New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play for DS players. Expand
  3. Jul 23, 2011
    Overall is the same Mario that we all know, crafted with better graphics and few contents. The "NEW" word , obviously adds a better anticipation, since, it was necessary for this classic. New Super Mario Bros. is an instant game that definitely needs to be in your DS library. The addition of Multiplayer was unexpected worthy indeed. Now let's lift our hands to the air and whine for Nintendo to make more remakes like this. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2010
    It's probably to me the only game with levels that is still fun after you finish it.
  5. Jun 6, 2012
    A Amazing Game! So Much Fun! :)
  6. May 26, 2011
    The classic platforming is great and all, but what REALLY stands out is the multiplayer. I remember my sister screaming when i came at here with a Mega Mushroom.
  7. Mar 20, 2011
    this is an alright game but the only reason the score is 7 instead of much lower is because of the story mode. the story mode is so hard i have just given up on it i can only get past the first castle before i cant advance due to the difficulty. where this game fails in story it makes up for in the minigames and wireless play. when i am on a long car ride i can just pop this game in and play the minigames and it will keep me entertained trying to beat my high scores and since your friends dont need the game for you to play wirelessly with them it is easy and fun to play with your friends. i have played head to head for hours when i need to kill time and i remember to bring my DS places and we all have a great time trying to beat each other. this is a good game but be warned the story is really hard so you will most likely be spending most of your play time in the minigames section Expand
  8. Apr 2, 2014
    I like the idea of this game. A new game in the Mario franchise that takes the classic side scrolling action from classic Mario games like the Super Mario Bros. trilogy and Super Mario World and modernizes it. Of course playing this on a handheld is very appropriate because it's simple enough for it, but it is good playing games like this while you are out and about. I also like the online, it can be fun playing mini-games and Mario Vs. Luigi with my sister. The only problem I have with this game is that it may not be quite as challenging or creative as the older Mario games, but it's still good fun. It may also not have all the bells and whistles that the later games are, but at least this game didn't feel like it was copying too much of past games, unlike later NSMB games. Overall New Super Mario Bros. is great on the Nintendo DS and I would also recommend it. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2010
    One of the best games on the DS, and an incredibly rewarding experience. New Super Mario Bros. takes what was originally great about the NES and SNES games and, well, makes it NEW. This means that while it plays like an old-school game, it still feels fresh enough to stand up to more modern types of gameplay.
  10. Dec 29, 2012
    The gameplay isn't as riveting or unique or original as Super Mario World, and it feels truly lacking in some of original Mario Bros charm. But in the end, its still a good experience.
  11. Nov 30, 2010
    New Super Mario Bros. DS is a brilliant and enjoyable platformer. Although, the game play is similar to previous side-scrolling Mario games; you go through 8 worlds and try to get to the end of each level without dying, there's a few new additions like new power ups and new moves that Mario can perform like the stomp or wall kick. New powerups include the mega mushroom, the mini mushroom and shell suit which can be interestingly used to get to hidden areas to find hidden exits or help you clear a level easier. The bosses are great to fight but a tad too easy with some obvious attack patterns. There's a sense of nostalgia when playing this game because this plays similar to the original Super Mario Bros. and has some of the memorable enemies like the Koopa Troopa's and Goomba's which have been given a graphical make over thanks to the Nintendo's DS's more powerful hardware. Even the simple story is similar to Super Mario Bros. but now Bowser Jr has captured Princess Peach and taken her to his castle. The graphics are very nice and the backgrounds are nicely rendered and despite the game play being a bit too simple, there's a great deal of fun to be had and 8 worlds with different themes to complete. The music is brilliant and some of the composed music are remixes of previous Mario game themes such as the Underground theme in Super Mario Bros. What's annoying is that if you want to find a hidden exit in a level and you need a powerup like the shell suit to break blocks which are in your way or a mini mushroom to squeeze through a pipe, you need to get the power up from either normal game play or one from a toad house. Depending on what power up is added to your reserve inventory, depends if you can headbutt the block that contains a random generating item at the right time (basically its like a slot machine and you have to hit the block to stop it on a random item which then is added to your reserve inventory for use later). Hitting this block at the right time is a bummer so you get the item you need and can lead to you leaving the toads house, coming back in and trying again. Despite this little criticism, all the game play enhancements along with sharp graphics and catchy music, Super Mario Bros. DS is a lovely platformer and basically enhances the original Super Mario Bros., with a few tweaks and showcases it to a new platform and generation. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2010
    For one of the DS's earlier games, this still holds up very well, as it's only about 4 years old. It's a terrific platformer, filled with fun and innovation, and with plenty of throughbacks to Mario history. One of the best game on DS, and even one of the best games of 2006. This stands as what Mario games are: pure, undiluted downright fun.
  13. Oct 30, 2011
    The Legacy of great 2D Mario platformers of the 80s and 90s lives on through New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS. All of Mario's classic moves and power ups are back as well as more modern moves and unique new power ups to mix things up. The Game consists of a large variety of levels with some that pay tribute to the games of the past as well as others that capitalize on new unique concepts within the game. The music is fun and rather enjoyable to listen to while the sound effects for the most part consist of the same set of pre-recorded stock sound effects used in other Mario releases but fit in perfectly fine. The difficulty curve within the game is balanced so that it can satisfy the needs of both beginners and experts well at the same time. Bonus content within the game consists of an alternate playable character and special game modes can be accessed by inputing a code, in-game wallpapers and infinite-use Toad houses to access power ups that need to be unlocked, A multiplayer Mario vs Luigi mode and a Mini-game mode for both single player and multiplayer through wireless that can be access from the main menu at any time. For fans of the classic Mario 2D platforming games or newcomers curious to see what Mario is all about should consider taking a look at this game if they want a fun portable Mario adventure on the go, it is well worth the price you pay. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2011
    8.5/10 = Great = A Very smart and fun plaformer. Problem is that i've played too many of them in the past and this is more of the same. Still as rewarding as ever though.
  15. Feb 18, 2013
    A great throw back to the classic 2D series, New Super Mario Bros. puts a 2.5D spin on the original formula, and does a great job. Simple gameplay, great level design, good graphics, awesome music, and the same great level design youd find in the classics. This is an awesome game to either start off your mario experience with, or to reminisce on classic days. only problem with this game, its not overly long, and not very difficult. regardless of this, it is still a great game, that any DS gamer should own. Expand
  16. Jul 28, 2014
    The best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. If you like platformers, get this game. Expand
  17. Jan 8, 2011
    New Super Mario Bros DS is compelling, with many great multiplayer features including compelling minigames. The characters and enemies are all original, and this is a great improvement on the Original Mario Bros. The story mode may be lacking, but the overall concept of the game is top class!
  18. Jan 2, 2013
    This Mario game is so so good not as good as I thought it would be
  19. Nov 21, 2011
    I've tried and tried to like this game, but it's just been a bit too simple for a Mario title. All Mario's usually start off easy and get much more difficult, but this one seems the exception and seems to be aimed at a much younger audience. Kids will probably love this, but as a 27 year old gamer who grew up on Mario, this one just isn't his best work.
  20. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the reasons I bought my DS.

A return to 2D Mario in great style. All the fun platforming and power-ups you would expect.

The multiplayer is surprisingly fun as well.

If you have a DS, you owe it yourself to get this game.

10 out of 10.
  21. Sep 28, 2011
    It's an OK game, but nothing more. Maybe if it had been released in the mid 90's it would have been great, but now it feels really dated. The levels are kind of repetitive, the bosses are boring and one of my biggest problems with this game are the power-ups. One of the things that made Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great were the innovative and fun power ups! The power-ups in this game don't make it for me, they're kind of dull and unimaginative. That's the whole problem, the game feels very unimaginative. It's like reimagining the first Super Mario Bros game, which wasn't that fun to begin with. Expand
  22. Jan 4, 2011
    I love this game - especially the wireless multiplayer! My brother and I laugh so hard because it is so good - the BEST multiplayer I have ever played!

Here's my Top 50 games of all time:

The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    The Legend of Zelda
    Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  23. Jun 18, 2014
    Although reaching shy of Super Mario World's plenitude in 1990, New Super Mario Bros is a worthy and uncomplicated renewal to side scrolling Mario. Acrobatics and creativity are rewarded, though challenges late in the game tend to be cryptic or trial-based in nature.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    It is a good game, perhaps one of the best in the DS console, or even one of the best videogames ever made. And no, it is not a remake of the original game, it is a totally new game.
  25. Oct 2, 2012
    THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD. READ THE REVIEW HERE, TODAY!!
    Super Mario bros has started a new revolution; you can now play it on the Wii! Super Mario is a structured game and in the end you have to save the princess (Mario
  26. Oct 7, 2010
    Amazing. Super mario bros.on DS. Best DS game of all DS games. I may have sold it two years after i bought it which makes sense to me, but I had a great time with it.
  27. Dec 11, 2012
    It's alright, that pretty much sums it up for me. I've tried playing it but I just get bored and can't finish it. Which is a first for a Mario game, having played them all to death.

This is just standard, nothing exciting at all. Which is a shame for a "glorious return" to the roots.
  28. Jul 10, 2011
    Fun game, but suffers from a very short playthrough. The mini-games, while could be a bit harder, are a big plus, and nowadays i find myself still attached to this game because of those alone.
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)Melhor jogo do DS,jogos do Mario deveriam ser todos assim,não aqueles caça-níqueis de baixa qualidade que a Nintendo lança direto,um dos melhores jogos plataformas já feitos para um portátil.Nota 95/100
  30. Feb 16, 2012
    The single-player mode is the most challenging I have ever played in a Mario game, and the wireless multiplayer works well, too. Definitely one of the best DS games I have ever played.
  31. Dec 19, 2013
    this game is one of those games that just destroy every other single game out there. the ds has awful graphics but this games looks like a 2010 game not great but who cares when you have so much fun with it me and my friends have put so many hours in this game i know its old but its that much fun
  32. RJV
    Aug 13, 2011
    The only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough of the cons already. The game is very fun, and rewarding. If you are an experienced Mario player you will recognize bosses and levels from previous games. For instance, one of the bosses is straight from Super Mario Sunshine, and one of the early levels has huge similarities to world 2-2 in Super Mario Bros 3. Also, if you have played Super Mario 64, then you will recognize the Sea Monster that you ride on in two of the levels. The graphics are good, but I constantly feel annoyed at the graphics for the"Starman" power-up, whitch looks like it came off a kids sketch-pad. Even though it might be easy, finding all those star-coins will take time, and there is a great amount of fun playing through the levels again. More 2-D Mario games like this one to come i hope! Expand
  33. Feb 27, 2012
    Very good game, but I must confess I was a bit disappointed with it. I guess it was because I never played Mario games back in the day and never was really a hardcore fan, so I thought it will be a very accessible, walk-in-the-park experience. The game on the other hand appeared challenging, and even though I am quite an experienced gamer, I was only able to complete around half of the levels getting 3 stars. I was also unable to grasp some of the gameplay nuances without looking things up on google (like secret worlds, cannons etc.), so all in all it has considerable amount of old school in it. The game definitely looks and sounds great, but casual gamers and platform genre newcomers might struggle a bit in certain levels. It does not take too much time to beat the game, but getting all gold and unlocking all the stuff can easily double the time if you are not hardcore Mario gamer. There are also some mini-games and multiplayer support, but the former are passable at best while I was not able to test the latter. Everyone should get it and try to beat it, but I am pretty sure not all of them will love it. Expand
  34. Mar 10, 2013
    Apart from the graphics, this game is alright. It's pretty similar to the original Super Mario Bros. (Which is what it's supposed be like). At the same time, it's not that new as well. It has a few new enemies, objects and power-ups but it's not new enough. The new power-ups are the mini mushroom (Which allows you to run on water and get through small gaps) the mega mushroom (Which allows you destroy anything except walls for a short amount of time) and the shell (Which allows you to defend yourself and act like a koopa in it's shell.) It also has a multiplayer mode and a minigame mode. So Overall, this game is good but not new enough. Expand
  35. May 21, 2012
    The Mario series hasn't seen a 2D platformer since 1991. We had great 3D games and a couple of GBA remakes ( if you lived in the 1995-2005 era) Those were good and they were fine. But we wanted a 2D platformer on nintendo's new "two headed gameboy". Pros: Fun 2D platformer. 2-player star battle is really fun (I always win!!) New minigames New power-ups (Mega mushroom, mini mushroom,Koopa shell ftw.)
    Fun and jumpy music (BAH BAH!)

Cons:
    Recycled minigames from Super Mario 64 DS
    Lack of (new) creative enimies that aren't similar to past ones.
  36. Sep 16, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros is a fan game. it is my best game of all DS games.I have played this game 7 years ago. The Good. Wonderful originality. Unique stages. Perfect Control. Revival of 2D Mario. Mini Games are fantastic. The Bad. There is not a stage after the clear. The general comment. All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece. Game play 9.5/10. Graphics 7.5/10.
    Sound 8.5/10.
    Value 9.7/10.
    Over All 9/10.
  37. Dec 22, 2013
    SUPER FUN GAME TO PLAY! Everything is GREAT and awesome. The difficulty level is just a bit too easy. Wish I could give a 9.7/10, but have to stick with 9!
  38. Feb 25, 2011
    Great game, got it for Christmas after receiving the Wii version last year. Have to say that it is much easier to control than the Wii version, but I have to say that I didn't find this much of a challenge as I have already completed it and collected all the power stars, on all three of my save files. Meanwhile I still fail to jump over Super Bowsers fireballs in the last level of Wii.

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.