8.5

1. Nov 11, 2010
    One of the best games on the DS, and an incredibly rewarding experience. New Super Mario Bros. takes what was originally great about the NES and SNES games and, well, makes it NEW. This means that while it plays like an old-school game, it still feels fresh enough to stand up to more modern types of gameplay.
  2. Oct 5, 2010
    For one of the DS's earlier games, this still holds up very well, as it's only about 4 years old. It's a terrific platformer, filled with fun and innovation, and with plenty of throughbacks to Mario history. One of the best game on DS, and even one of the best games of 2006. This stands as what Mario games are: pure, undiluted downright fun.
  3. Jan 4, 2011
    I love this game - especially the wireless multiplayer! My brother and I laugh so hard because it is so good - the BEST multiplayer I have ever played!

Here's my Top 50 games of all time:

The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    The Legend of Zelda
    Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  4. Nov 30, 2010
    New Super Mario Bros. DS is a brilliant and enjoyable platformer. Although, the game play is similar to previous side-scrolling Mario games; you go through 8 worlds and try to get to the end of each level without dying, there's a few new additions like new power ups and new moves that Mario can perform like the stomp or wall kick. New powerups include the mega mushroom, the mini mushroomNew Super Mario Bros. DS is a brilliant and enjoyable platformer. Although, the game play is similar to previous side-scrolling Mario games; you go through 8 worlds and try to get to the end of each level without dying, there's a few new additions like new power ups and new moves that Mario can perform like the stomp or wall kick. New powerups include the mega mushroom, the mini mushroom and shell suit which can be interestingly used to get to hidden areas to find hidden exits or help you clear a level easier. The bosses are great to fight but a tad too easy with some obvious attack patterns. There's a sense of nostalgia when playing this game because this plays similar to the original Super Mario Bros. and has some of the memorable enemies like the Koopa Troopa's and Goomba's which have been given a graphical make over thanks to the Nintendo's DS's more powerful hardware. Even the simple story is similar to Super Mario Bros. but now Bowser Jr has captured Princess Peach and taken her to his castle. The graphics are very nice and the backgrounds are nicely rendered and despite the game play being a bit too simple, there's a great deal of fun to be had and 8 worlds with different themes to complete. The music is brilliant and some of the composed music are remixes of previous Mario game themes such as the Underground theme in Super Mario Bros. What's annoying is that if you want to find a hidden exit in a level and you need a powerup like the shell suit to break blocks which are in your way or a mini mushroom to squeeze through a pipe, you need to get the power up from either normal game play or one from a toad house. Depending on what power up is added to your reserve inventory, depends if you can headbutt the block that contains a random generating item at the right time (basically its like a slot machine and you have to hit the block to stop it on a random item which then is added to your reserve inventory for use later). Hitting this block at the right time is a bummer so you get the item you need and can lead to you leaving the toads house, coming back in and trying again. Despite this little criticism, all the game play enhancements along with sharp graphics and catchy music, Super Mario Bros. DS is a lovely platformer and basically enhances the original Super Mario Bros., with a few tweaks and showcases it to a new platform and generation. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2010
    Amazing. Super mario bros.on DS. Best DS game of all DS games. I may have sold it two years after i bought it which makes sense to me, but I had a great time with it.
  6. Oct 30, 2011
    The Legacy of great 2D Mario platformers of the 80s and 90s lives on through New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS. All of Mario's classic moves and power ups are back as well as more modern moves and unique new power ups to mix things up. The Game consists of a large variety of levels with some that pay tribute to the games of the past as well as others that capitalize on new uniqueThe Legacy of great 2D Mario platformers of the 80s and 90s lives on through New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS. All of Mario's classic moves and power ups are back as well as more modern moves and unique new power ups to mix things up. The Game consists of a large variety of levels with some that pay tribute to the games of the past as well as others that capitalize on new unique concepts within the game. The music is fun and rather enjoyable to listen to while the sound effects for the most part consist of the same set of pre-recorded stock sound effects used in other Mario releases but fit in perfectly fine. The difficulty curve within the game is balanced so that it can satisfy the needs of both beginners and experts well at the same time. Bonus content within the game consists of an alternate playable character and special game modes can be accessed by inputing a code, in-game wallpapers and infinite-use Toad houses to access power ups that need to be unlocked, A multiplayer Mario vs Luigi mode and a Mini-game mode for both single player and multiplayer through wireless that can be access from the main menu at any time. For fans of the classic Mario 2D platforming games or newcomers curious to see what Mario is all about should consider taking a look at this game if they want a fun portable Mario adventure on the go, it is well worth the price you pay. Expand
  7. Dec 31, 2010
    It's probably to me the only game with levels that is still fun after you finish it.
  8. Jan 8, 2011
    New Super Mario Bros DS is compelling, with many great multiplayer features including compelling minigames. The characters and enemies are all original, and this is a great improvement on the Original Mario Bros. The story mode may be lacking, but the overall concept of the game is top class!
  9. Feb 25, 2011
    Great game, got it for Christmas after receiving the Wii version last year. Have to say that it is much easier to control than the Wii version, but I have to say that I didn't find this much of a challenge as I have already completed it and collected all the power stars, on all three of my save files. Meanwhile I still fail to jump over Super Bowsers fireballs in the last level of Wii.
  10. Jul 23, 2011
    Overall is the same Mario that we all know, crafted with better graphics and few contents. The "NEW" word , obviously adds a better anticipation, since, it was necessary for this classic. New Super Mario Bros. is an instant game that definitely needs to be in your DS library. The addition of Multiplayer was unexpected worthy indeed. Now let's lift our hands to the air and whine forOverall is the same Mario that we all know, crafted with better graphics and few contents. The "NEW" word , obviously adds a better anticipation, since, it was necessary for this classic. New Super Mario Bros. is an instant game that definitely needs to be in your DS library. The addition of Multiplayer was unexpected worthy indeed. Now let's lift our hands to the air and whine for Nintendo to make more remakes like this. Expand
  11. May 26, 2011
    The classic platforming is great and all, but what REALLY stands out is the multiplayer. I remember my sister screaming when i came at here with a Mega Mushroom.
  12. RJV
    Aug 13, 2011
    The only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough ofThe only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough of the cons already. The game is very fun, and rewarding. If you are an experienced Mario player you will recognize bosses and levels from previous games. For instance, one of the bosses is straight from Super Mario Sunshine, and one of the early levels has huge similarities to world 2-2 in Super Mario Bros 3. Also, if you have played Super Mario 64, then you will recognize the Sea Monster that you ride on in two of the levels. The graphics are good, but I constantly feel annoyed at the graphics for the"Starman" power-up, whitch looks like it came off a kids sketch-pad. Even though it might be easy, finding all those star-coins will take time, and there is a great amount of fun playing through the levels again. More 2-D Mario games like this one to come i hope! Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2011
    "New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play"New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play for DS players. Expand
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    It is a good game, perhaps one of the best in the DS console, or even one of the best videogames ever made. And no, it is not a remake of the original game, it is a totally new game.
  15. Nov 7, 2011
    It is an easy game but it has addicting gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the older side-scrolling Mario games but somehow this game is unique from some of the others. It is one of the best Nintendo DS games.
  16. Feb 16, 2012
    The single-player mode is the most challenging I have ever played in a Mario game, and the wireless multiplayer works well, too. Definitely one of the best DS games I have ever played.
  17. May 21, 2012
    The Mario series hasn't seen a 2D platformer since 1991. We had great 3D games and a couple of GBA remakes ( if you lived in the 1995-2005 era) Those were good and they were fine. But we wanted a 2D platformer on nintendo's new "two headed gameboy".

Pros: Fun 2D platformer. 2-player star battle is really fun (I always win!!) New minigames New power-ups (Mega mushroom, mini

Pros:
    Fun 2D platformer.
    2-player star battle is really fun (I always win!!)
    New minigames
    New power-ups (Mega mushroom, mini mushroom,Koopa shell ftw.)
    Fun and jumpy music (BAH BAH!)

Cons:
    Recycled minigames from Super Mario 64 DS
    Lack of (new) creative enimies that aren't similar to past ones.
  18. Jun 6, 2012
    A Amazing Game! So Much Fun! :)
  19. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)Melhor jogo do DS,jogos do Mario deveriam ser todos assim,não aqueles caça-níqueis de baixa qualidade que a Nintendo lança direto,um dos melhores jogos plataformas já feitos para um portátil.Nota 95/100
  20. Oct 2, 2012
    THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD. READ THE REVIEW HERE, TODAY!!
    Super Mario bros has started a new revolution; you can now play it on the Wii! Super Mario is a structured game and in the end you have to save the princess (Mario
  21. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the reasons I bought my DS.

A return to 2D Mario in great style. All the fun platforming and power-ups you would expect.

The multiplayer is surprisingly fun as well.

If you have a DS, you owe it yourself to get this game.

10 out of 10.
  22. Sep 16, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros is a fan game. it is my best game of all DS games.I have played this game 7 years ago.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality. Unique stages. Perfect Control. Revival of 2D Mario. Mini Games are fantastic. The Bad. There is not a stage after the clear. The general comment. All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece. Game play 9.5/10. Graphics 7.5/10.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality.
    Unique stages.
    Perfect Control.
    Revival of 2D Mario.
    Mini Games are fantastic.
    The Bad.
    There is not a stage after the clear.
    The general comment.
    All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece.
    Game play 9.5/10.
    Graphics 7.5/10.
    Sound 8.5/10.
    Value 9.7/10.
    Over All 9/10.
  23. Dec 19, 2013
    this game is one of those games that just destroy every other single game out there. the ds has awful graphics but this games looks like a 2010 game not great but who cares when you have so much fun with it me and my friends have put so many hours in this game i know its old but its that much fun
  24. Dec 22, 2013
    SUPER FUN GAME TO PLAY! Everything is GREAT and awesome. The difficulty level is just a bit too easy. Wish I could give a 9.7/10, but have to stick with 9!
  25. Oct 24, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME IT MADE MY LIFE 10 TIMES BETTER AND MADE MY CHILDHOOD I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS GAME NINTENDOROCKS this game had everything the best level design, the best music, even the times when I got really mad and threw my DS around I still love this game soooo much. In all seriousness, it is a true classic that would be hard to match.
  26. Jul 28, 2014
    The best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. IfThe best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. If you like platformers, get this game. Expand
  27. Nov 18, 2014
    You probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a superYou probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a super tiny size! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time on a beginning page you see the beginning cut scene with Luigi instead of Mario! Expand

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.