8.5

1. Jun 4, 2013
    It is a good game, perhaps one of the best in the DS console, or even one of the best videogames ever made. And no, it is not a remake of the original game, it is a totally new game.
  2. Nov 7, 2011
    It is an easy game but it has addicting gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the older side-scrolling Mario games but somehow this game is unique from some of the others. It is one of the best Nintendo DS games.
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    (Translate from Portuguese into English)Melhor jogo do DS,jogos do Mario deveriam ser todos assim,não aqueles caça-níqueis de baixa qualidade que a Nintendo lança direto,um dos melhores jogos plataformas já feitos para um portátil.Nota 95/100
  4. Sep 16, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros is a fan game. it is my best game of all DS games.I have played this game 7 years ago.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality. Unique stages. Perfect Control. Revival of 2D Mario. Mini Games are fantastic. The Bad. There is not a stage after the clear. The general comment. All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece. Game play 9.5/10. Graphics 7.5/10.
    The Good.
    Wonderful originality.
    Unique stages.
    Perfect Control.
    Revival of 2D Mario.
    Mini Games are fantastic.
    The Bad.
    There is not a stage after the clear.
    The general comment.
    All things considered, it is an undeniable masterpiece.
    Game play 9.5/10.
    Graphics 7.5/10.
    Sound 8.5/10.
    Value 9.7/10.
    Over All 9/10.
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    this game is one of those games that just destroy every other single game out there. the ds has awful graphics but this games looks like a 2010 game not great but who cares when you have so much fun with it me and my friends have put so many hours in this game i know its old but its that much fun
  6. Dec 22, 2013
    SUPER FUN GAME TO PLAY! Everything is GREAT and awesome. The difficulty level is just a bit too easy. Wish I could give a 9.7/10, but have to stick with 9!
  7. Oct 24, 2014
    I LOVE THIS GAME IT MADE MY LIFE 10 TIMES BETTER AND MADE MY CHILDHOOD I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS GAME NINTENDOROCKS this game had everything the best level design, the best music, even the times when I got really mad and threw my DS around I still love this game soooo much. In all seriousness, it is a true classic that would be hard to match.
  8. Jul 28, 2014
    The best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. IfThe best platformer on the DS, New Super Mario Bros., the predecessor to New. Super Mario Bros wii, is a delight to play, is more challenging, and has greater replay value. This is one of the few Mario titles I have started and not completed, world 8 is so tricky. There are many shortcuts and hidden paths to find that will aid you on your journey to rescue Princess "Peach" Toadstool. If you like platformers, get this game. Expand
  9. May 22, 2015
    A great 2D platform game, really fun, and revive the old games of the Super Mario series, the game has practically no story, as almost all the games of Mario, but the positive point, certainly goes to aa fun, and the soundtrack, which is spectacular.
  10. Apr 9, 2017
    My personal favorite 2D Mario platformer, and the very first one I played. After 15 years without a classic 2D Mario game, New Super Mario Bros. marks the return of the king to the 2D platforming genre, with a new fresh look and the same excellent gameplay everbody came to love in the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

Mario controls as great as he did back in the day. NSMB features 8 different

Mario controls as great as he did back in the day. NSMB features 8 different worlds, each with a distinct theme. Nowadays everyone is sick of seeing the same 8 world-themes in 2D Mario games, but this is the game that introduced them, and I think it was a good idea. As for the levels, most of them are really fun and well designed. Each levels holds 3 optional Star Coins, which are the main collectables in this game. Most of them are pretty easy to get though. The whole game is a bit on the easy side, actually. This might bother some of the old-school Mario fans, and it might be the game's biggest flaw. The amount and variety of levels is satisfactory to me. The game is bit short, but I think the overall quality and replay value make up for that

NSMB introuduced some really cool power-ups. The giant mushroom, the mini mushroom and the blue koopa shell are among my favorite Mario power-ups of all time. They're very fun to use. As for the bosses, all of them are OK, but once again, they are way too easy. The game has also a bunch of multiplayer modes, but I didn't play them very much, so I won't comment about them.

Visually, the game is colorful and has a good level of polish. It mixes 2D backgrounds with 3D models, and the result looks just fine. The melodies are as catchy and happy as ever. Overall, this is a very lighthearted and happy game, one that will put a smile on your face for the time you are playing.

Some people criticize this game for being too simplistic and not really innovate in any area, like Super Mario World did in 1990. But the truth is that NSMB is pure 2D Mario greatness, it's a return to the more traditional style of the NES Mario titles, which is just perfect as it is. So whether you are a fan of the series, or platformers in general, you need to give this game a try. I would even say it is the best of the new generation 2D Mario games, despite being the worst technology-wise.

Score: 9.0
  11. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is really easy to be honest but like it's really fun to speed run. A great return towards 2d platforming for Mario and the start to a very successful yet somewhat repetitive series.
  12. Nov 18, 2014
    You probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a superYou probably already know the plot, no explanation is necessary! This is an awesome 2D platformer where you can grow gigantic and smash flag poles! I thought it was crazy fun when I grabbed the Mega Mushroom for the first time and grew BIG! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time you can play as Luigi on your save file. You can even turn into a Koopa and shrink to a super tiny size! If you hold the L and R controls at the same time on a beginning page you see the beginning cut scene with Luigi instead of Mario! Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2015
    The best DS game ever made!!!! It's really simple, that's what makes it nice. The music is fairly catchy, the gameplay is fairly simple, and the best thing? No problems playing it at all!
  14. Mar 24, 2017
    New Super Mario Bros. took Mario to a new level. With the great graphics and fresh but classic mechanics this game really did have something for everyone. The boss battle may not have been amazing but overall it is a great game
  15. Mar 13, 2015
    I did beat the game 100% and I didn't like this game THAT much. The graphics are okay. The levels are fine. The bosses were fine but THE KOOPALINGS GOT THROWN OUT SINCE SUPER MARIO WOURLD I BELIEVE! But still okay. The controls are great I got SO used to it. I think this is a game worth getting. One of my least favourite Mario so far...
  16. Dec 3, 2015
    almost all super mario bros games are just copy and paste from the previous ones but there still good, and so is this one. It's a simple premise, princess is kidnapped now travel eight worlds to save her, and sometimes it could be challenging, but what i like the most about this installment of mario is the multiplayer, all the mini games you can play with friends can get really competitivealmost all super mario bros games are just copy and paste from the previous ones but there still good, and so is this one. It's a simple premise, princess is kidnapped now travel eight worlds to save her, and sometimes it could be challenging, but what i like the most about this installment of mario is the multiplayer, all the mini games you can play with friends can get really competitive which makes it even more fun. great game worth your time. Expand
  17. Sep 14, 2016
    New Super Mario Bros. is a great platform game. The problem is that you lose a lot of lives in one stage because the stage is hard and it's very hard to reach nearly 100 million score points. This makes the game so frustrating and possible to get a Game Over.
  18. Mar 14, 2017
    Content - 8
    Personal Fun - 10
    Difficulty - 7 .
  19. Jan 4, 2011
    I love this game - especially the wireless multiplayer! My brother and I laugh so hard because it is so good - the BEST multiplayer I have ever played!

Here's my Top 50 games of all time:

The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    The Legend of Zelda
    Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  20. Nov 8, 2011
    "New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play"New Super Mario Bros" is the very first Mario game i've encountered and the very best i've played. Yes it's 2-D, but does it **** matter? Each unique level is differently designed with smooth running gameplay as Mario. The co-op is also a fun mode to play against or with your comrades. A good amount of extra stuff will also keep your DS busy for the while. A absolute blast and a must-play for DS players. Expand
  21. Oct 5, 2010
    For one of the DS's earlier games, this still holds up very well, as it's only about 4 years old. It's a terrific platformer, filled with fun and innovation, and with plenty of throughbacks to Mario history. One of the best game on DS, and even one of the best games of 2006. This stands as what Mario games are: pure, undiluted downright fun.
  22. RJV
    Aug 13, 2011
    The only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough ofThe only problem with this game is it is rather easy. I myself beat the final boss the day I got the game, about 10 hours, and it would have been faster if i didn't have to share the cartridge with my brother. And as of now I have collected all the star coins, collectible large coins throughout every level, which was not as hard as you might think once you start collecting them. Enough of the cons already. The game is very fun, and rewarding. If you are an experienced Mario player you will recognize bosses and levels from previous games. For instance, one of the bosses is straight from Super Mario Sunshine, and one of the early levels has huge similarities to world 2-2 in Super Mario Bros 3. Also, if you have played Super Mario 64, then you will recognize the Sea Monster that you ride on in two of the levels. The graphics are good, but I constantly feel annoyed at the graphics for the"Starman" power-up, whitch looks like it came off a kids sketch-pad. Even though it might be easy, finding all those star-coins will take time, and there is a great amount of fun playing through the levels again. More 2-D Mario games like this one to come i hope! Expand
  23. Jan 2, 2013
    This Mario game is so so good not as good as I thought it would be
  24. Sep 28, 2011
    It's an OK game, but nothing more. Maybe if it had been released in the mid 90's it would have been great, but now it feels really dated. The levels are kind of repetitive, the bosses are boring and one of my biggest problems with this game are the power-ups. One of the things that made Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great were the innovative and fun power ups! The power-ups inIt's an OK game, but nothing more. Maybe if it had been released in the mid 90's it would have been great, but now it feels really dated. The levels are kind of repetitive, the bosses are boring and one of my biggest problems with this game are the power-ups. One of the things that made Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great were the innovative and fun power ups! The power-ups in this game don't make it for me, they're kind of dull and unimaginative. That's the whole problem, the game feels very unimaginative. It's like reimagining the first Super Mario Bros game, which wasn't that fun to begin with. Expand
  25. JasonH
    Dec 18, 2008
    So I'm giving it this rating based both on my enjoyment level, and the huge letdown this game turned out for me. I was expecting a game along the lines of super mario world, with tons of secrets, powerups, yoshis, strange and odd worlds, and just a ton of fun. Instead, we got a game with 3D graphics (I thought it was worse, since a lot of the artistic magic seemed to dissapear (and So I'm giving it this rating based both on my enjoyment level, and the huge letdown this game turned out for me. I was expecting a game along the lines of super mario world, with tons of secrets, powerups, yoshis, strange and odd worlds, and just a ton of fun. Instead, we got a game with 3D graphics (I thought it was worse, since a lot of the artistic magic seemed to dissapear (and little mario kind of looks like a bunch of polygons)), NO yoshis, power ups that weren't very diverse (in that 3 alter size, and the rest are mostly for increasing offenseive abilities. However, I think the WORST part of this game, was the lack of intersting worlds (you have forest, you have desert, you have ice, and I really can't remember the others, since they must have been a bore) and the very linear progression mario makes through the map (the only deviations are short, and usually lead back to the same path). Finnally, this game really has no replay value. The only thing you have to look forward to, are playing a couple of levels you most likely missed, and collecting three coins per stage, which is just tedious and irritating. So yeah, it's a boring, it's short, it doesn't take advantage of the DS capabilities (you can click on a power up... whoopdedo...) but isn't anywhere near as fun, or as deep as the original. Like a said, a huge letdown. Expand
  26. AnonymousMC
    May 7, 2006
    Mario is back! A must-own for every Nintendo DS owner! I've been waiting 15 years for this! I don't know why Nintendo didn't do this earlier! It must have been because the GameBoy doesn't have the 3D graphics that the Nintendo DS does. Here's hoping that they make more of these in the future! 10/10.
  27. DivineStorm
    Jul 10, 2008
    A very good game with great sound graphics and gameplay and a good remake too for the ds and fun multiplayer and minigames. It is also too damn short I finished this game in a day!!! I do think super mario 64 ds is slightly better.
  28. AnonymousMC
    May 26, 2006
    Almost a flawless game. I loved it and i was playing this game hours on end. The only flaw is the main mode. Amazing, until you finish it which doesn't take a long time at all. But I still love it so much. So leave your house right now and BUY IT!
  29. GaryW
    May 28, 2008
    Easily the weakest mario platform game ever made. Severly overrated tat, how many people are still playing it I wonder? To even compare it to Supermario world or Mario 64 is a joke. The fun factor has been replaced by frustrating level design youll go from a piss easy level to a solid in one in the space of one move, much of the jumping requires pinpoint accuracy, this wouldnt be so bad Easily the weakest mario platform game ever made. Severly overrated tat, how many people are still playing it I wonder? To even compare it to Supermario world or Mario 64 is a joke. The fun factor has been replaced by frustrating level design youll go from a piss easy level to a solid in one in the space of one move, much of the jumping requires pinpoint accuracy, this wouldnt be so bad if Mario didnt take another three steps after youve stopped him running, or if you could save when you wanted. Considering the game is supposed to be portable the save system is appaling. Youll spend half an hour doing one frustratingly poorly designed level only to find you cant save and you have to trudge to the next castle to save ! Nice going Nintendo ! I find it really shocking that people have so severly overrated this game, you cant even fly in it ! Do yourself a faovur and get mario64 ds instead, its VASTLY superior, or get yoshis island and supermario world on the GBA. Expand
  30. LydiaB.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This game is so awesome I can't even express how much I love it. The multiplayer is the most fun I've had on a handheld system in ages.

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.