8.5

1. Sep 28, 2011
    It's an OK game, but nothing more. Maybe if it had been released in the mid 90's it would have been great, but now it feels really dated. The levels are kind of repetitive, the bosses are boring and one of my biggest problems with this game are the power-ups. One of the things that made Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great were the innovative and fun power ups! The power-ups inIt's an OK game, but nothing more. Maybe if it had been released in the mid 90's it would have been great, but now it feels really dated. The levels are kind of repetitive, the bosses are boring and one of my biggest problems with this game are the power-ups. One of the things that made Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World great were the innovative and fun power ups! The power-ups in this game don't make it for me, they're kind of dull and unimaginative. That's the whole problem, the game feels very unimaginative. It's like reimagining the first Super Mario Bros game, which wasn't that fun to begin with. Expand
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    This Mario game is so so good not as good as I thought it would be
  3. GaryW
    May 28, 2008
    Easily the weakest mario platform game ever made. Severly overrated tat, how many people are still playing it I wonder? To even compare it to Supermario world or Mario 64 is a joke. The fun factor has been replaced by frustrating level design youll go from a piss easy level to a solid in one in the space of one move, much of the jumping requires pinpoint accuracy, this wouldnt be so bad Easily the weakest mario platform game ever made. Severly overrated tat, how many people are still playing it I wonder? To even compare it to Supermario world or Mario 64 is a joke. The fun factor has been replaced by frustrating level design youll go from a piss easy level to a solid in one in the space of one move, much of the jumping requires pinpoint accuracy, this wouldnt be so bad if Mario didnt take another three steps after youve stopped him running, or if you could save when you wanted. Considering the game is supposed to be portable the save system is appaling. Youll spend half an hour doing one frustratingly poorly designed level only to find you cant save and you have to trudge to the next castle to save ! Nice going Nintendo ! I find it really shocking that people have so severly overrated this game, you cant even fly in it ! Do yourself a faovur and get mario64 ds instead, its VASTLY superior, or get yoshis island and supermario world on the GBA. Expand
  4. KevinR.
    Aug 8, 2006
    Far too short (as in, less than 10 hours to completely beat the game), and limited level design weighs down what would have been an otherwise amazing game.
  5. AnonymousMC
    May 27, 2006
    I love Mario and Mario 3 so I was excited to play a brand new mario platformer. The game is great but I do not think it is as deep or challenging as Mario 3. Sure there are secret tunnels and the 3-coin system is fun, but the lack of flight in this game really sets it back. If this game would incorporate the P-wing, it would have been a much greater game. But as it stands, it is a stepI love Mario and Mario 3 so I was excited to play a brand new mario platformer. The game is great but I do not think it is as deep or challenging as Mario 3. Sure there are secret tunnels and the 3-coin system is fun, but the lack of flight in this game really sets it back. If this game would incorporate the P-wing, it would have been a much greater game. But as it stands, it is a step backwards from Mario 3. Expand
  6. AnonymousMC
    May 27, 2006
    Great Game, The graphics were truly amazing for a DS game/ mario side scroller but theres no way it deserves more then a 7. I found the ability to store items stupid because it makes the game even more easier than it already is. I was able to completely beat the game in about 12 hours. This game also dosn't offer alot of replay value, but the mini games are really fun!!!
  7. IsabelB.
    Apr 16, 2007
    This game was very predictable, and found it difficult to get into two of the worlds. The graphics are great but I thought it got boring and frustrating after a while.
  8. Mar 20, 2011
    this is an alright game but the only reason the score is 7 instead of much lower is because of the story mode. the story mode is so hard i have just given up on it i can only get past the first castle before i cant advance due to the difficulty. where this game fails in story it makes up for in the minigames and wireless play. when i am on a long car ride i can just pop this game in andthis is an alright game but the only reason the score is 7 instead of much lower is because of the story mode. the story mode is so hard i have just given up on it i can only get past the first castle before i cant advance due to the difficulty. where this game fails in story it makes up for in the minigames and wireless play. when i am on a long car ride i can just pop this game in and play the minigames and it will keep me entertained trying to beat my high scores and since your friends dont need the game for you to play wirelessly with them it is easy and fun to play with your friends. i have played head to head for hours when i need to kill time and i remember to bring my DS places and we all have a great time trying to beat each other. this is a good game but be warned the story is really hard so you will most likely be spending most of your play time in the minigames section Expand
  9. Jul 10, 2011
    Fun game, but suffers from a very short playthrough. The mini-games, while could be a bit harder, are a big plus, and nowadays i find myself still attached to this game because of those alone.
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    I've tried and tried to like this game, but it's just been a bit too simple for a Mario title. All Mario's usually start off easy and get much more difficult, but this one seems the exception and seems to be aimed at a much younger audience. Kids will probably love this, but as a 27 year old gamer who grew up on Mario, this one just isn't his best work.
  11. Dec 29, 2012
    The gameplay isn't as riveting or unique or original as Super Mario World, and it feels truly lacking in some of original Mario Bros charm. But in the end, its still a good experience.
  12. Feb 27, 2012
    Very good game, but I must confess I was a bit disappointed with it. I guess it was because I never played Mario games back in the day and never was really a hardcore fan, so I thought it will be a very accessible, walk-in-the-park experience. The game on the other hand appeared challenging, and even though I am quite an experienced gamer, I was only able to complete around half of theVery good game, but I must confess I was a bit disappointed with it. I guess it was because I never played Mario games back in the day and never was really a hardcore fan, so I thought it will be a very accessible, walk-in-the-park experience. The game on the other hand appeared challenging, and even though I am quite an experienced gamer, I was only able to complete around half of the levels getting 3 stars. I was also unable to grasp some of the gameplay nuances without looking things up on google (like secret worlds, cannons etc.), so all in all it has considerable amount of old school in it. The game definitely looks and sounds great, but casual gamers and platform genre newcomers might struggle a bit in certain levels. It does not take too much time to beat the game, but getting all gold and unlocking all the stuff can easily double the time if you are not hardcore Mario gamer. There are also some mini-games and multiplayer support, but the former are passable at best while I was not able to test the latter. Everyone should get it and try to beat it, but I am pretty sure not all of them will love it. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2012
    It's alright, that pretty much sums it up for me. I've tried playing it but I just get bored and can't finish it. Which is a first for a Mario game, having played them all to death.

This is just standard, nothing exciting at all. Which is a shame for a "glorious return" to the roots.
  14. Mar 10, 2013
    Apart from the graphics, this game is alright. It's pretty similar to the original Super Mario Bros. (Which is what it's supposed be like). At the same time, it's not that new as well. It has a few new enemies, objects and power-ups but it's not new enough. The new power-ups are the mini mushroom (Which allows you to run on water and get through small gaps) the mega mushroom (Which allowsApart from the graphics, this game is alright. It's pretty similar to the original Super Mario Bros. (Which is what it's supposed be like). At the same time, it's not that new as well. It has a few new enemies, objects and power-ups but it's not new enough. The new power-ups are the mini mushroom (Which allows you to run on water and get through small gaps) the mega mushroom (Which allows you destroy anything except walls for a short amount of time) and the shell (Which allows you to defend yourself and act like a koopa in it's shell.) It also has a multiplayer mode and a minigame mode. So Overall, this game is good but not new enough. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2015
    Solid platformer, and a good return from its roots. I felt that the level design was decent (better than its 3DS successor) and that it was sadly too short of a game. It's fine for a game to be short and provide a great experience, but when a game is too short and too expensive for the time you get (Not enough bang for the buck), I'd say it isn't as worth the time you spend, unless youSolid platformer, and a good return from its roots. I felt that the level design was decent (better than its 3DS successor) and that it was sadly too short of a game. It's fine for a game to be short and provide a great experience, but when a game is too short and too expensive for the time you get (Not enough bang for the buck), I'd say it isn't as worth the time you spend, unless you have friends to play with. On that hand, I'd like to applaud nintendo for the great effort in adding a decent local-multiplayer system where you can battle each other 1v1 on terrain courses, looking for stars (actually fun!) and a diverse amount of minigames to host tournaments or just regular battles with up to four players.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: N/A/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Length/PostGame: 7/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  16. Jan 5, 2015
    this game is OK. there is not very much things special about it. although not terrible just not as good as sonic , Pokemon , zelda and stuff like that. the story line is is boring , the game play is simple and just every thing about it is adequate.
  17. Jan 11, 2015
    Hmm...well that game only took a day to complete. Is New Super Mario Bros. fantastic? No. Is New Super Mario Bros. bad? I suppose not.

I had the unfortunate experience of going from the far superior Wii version to this one. New Super Mario Bros. is a great game in its own right. I just think it tries a bit too hard to be like the Mario games of old and less like a new identity. You'd think with "new" in the title, it'd be at least a bit new. Don't get me wrong, the levels are well designed. I just would like more originality.

The bosses in the game is mainly where New Super Mario Bros. shines. All of them are incredibly unique and some of them are even challenging to battle. That's not something you hear every day when it comes to Mario games. NSMB shows that Mario bosses can still be unique and they aren't always going to be the seven Koopalings frantically running around.

Nintendo games are never about the graphics but the visuals in this game are kind of a letdown. I personally found Super Mario 64 DS (released 2 years before this) and Bowser's Inside Story (released 3 years after this) to show off the original DS' graphics much better. There's also multiplayer in the game which is another area in which NSMB shines. It's incredibly addictive to run around as Mario and Luigi and do coin battles and other crazy things.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. is a decent start to one of the more recent Mario series. If you played any of the newer games in the series and you're thinking about getting this one, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're trying to complete your collection.

Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, "Yoshi's Island" was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.
  2. The kind of game that makes hardcore Nintendo fans get on their knees and weep in sheer joy over the eighty new levels of new 2D Mario action...The visuals come in scorching hot, with gorgeous 3D bringing the old school into a new school setting. Sprinkle in some minigames and multiplayer modes, and you have a system seller.
  3. While it lasts, it’s some of the best platforming to date and features what I consider to be the best Nintendo DS graphics to date. While it’s a shame the new power-ups are frills and the length of the main game is ridiculously short, it’s hard not to recommend it.