8.6

1. NaytoE
    Jul 27, 2009
    Half the questions aren't in correct english and don't make grammatical sense. It's impossible to solve a riddle when the a specific, valuble word have been replaced by a simular word that doesn't actually have the same definition. maybe if they'd checked to see if half the text made sense it would be good, as it stands, it's just a poor excuse of a puzzle Half the questions aren't in correct english and don't make grammatical sense. It's impossible to solve a riddle when the a specific, valuble word have been replaced by a simular word that doesn't actually have the same definition. maybe if they'd checked to see if half the text made sense it would be good, as it stands, it's just a poor excuse of a puzzle game. Also the art sucks if you're above 14 and not Female, I don't like looking like a kiddie fiddler in public thanks. Expand
  2. AnonymousMC
    Sep 21, 2008
    This game frickin sux i got it as a gift from a freind who told me it was fun and so i naturlly assumed it was a shooter, and i didnt even get to shoot anyone for like the first 15 minutes but their might be shootin but i got bored and sold it after the third 2nd puzzle. youd b better of with a good game, like the halo series
  3. Oct 23, 2011
    I really can not understand how this game can get so good reviews. First of all, the story is very uninteresting so I found myself clicking it away just to get to the puzzles. Some of the puzzles are fun and creative, but it's not enough. Many puzzles are boring and uninventive and while some of them are very logical, some are not. But that's just a matter of taste and logic I guess, theI really can not understand how this game can get so good reviews. First of all, the story is very uninteresting so I found myself clicking it away just to get to the puzzles. Some of the puzzles are fun and creative, but it's not enough. Many puzzles are boring and uninventive and while some of them are very logical, some are not. But that's just a matter of taste and logic I guess, the biggest problem is that none of the puzzles are related to the story! This makes the gameplay very lame, it's basically a graphics novel with some random puzzles crammed into it without any kind of connection.

Since the graphic novel isn't interesting or fun, it's utterly pointless so the only real fun in the game is the puzzles.. which isn't enough to keep me interested. Also, there is nothing that makes it worth playing this game on the DS, it would fit much better on a PC where you can click with your mouse. Pointless, boring.
  4. Aug 15, 2014
    I really don't understand the love that this game gets whatsoever. The story is not interesting in the slightest. Which is one of the most important parts about the game. First off, it takes forever to start the quest that the main characters came to the village for. As the game drags it out with things such as finding cats. It's bothersome. I don't find the characters in the villageI really don't understand the love that this game gets whatsoever. The story is not interesting in the slightest. Which is one of the most important parts about the game. First off, it takes forever to start the quest that the main characters came to the village for. As the game drags it out with things such as finding cats. It's bothersome. I don't find the characters in the village memorable in the slightest, I find them very boring.

To be honest the only reason I sat through was becuase I enjoyed the Phoenix Wright Vs. Layton game that released earlier this year. I enjoyed the puzzles in that game. But in this game I cannot stand the puzzles. Some of them are really tedious and bothersome.

Graphicly the game is alright. The characters are decently animated and drawn and the backgrounds look nice. The animated cutscenes by japanese animation studio P.A Works, look decent enough. Though they have some very obvious and distracting looking 3D CGI in them.

The games soundtrack is for the most part, in my opinion. Quite forgetable. With the only track I personally liked being the games main theme. The voice acting, on the other hand is pretty well done. Though I will say I can't stand Luke's actress in the american release of the game. Thankfully, I have the british release. in which Luke has pretty well done voice work.

Overall, I don't understand how people like this game. With a uninteresting story with forgetable characters, some very tedious puzzles and for the most part a forgetable sountrack. I did not enjoy this game.

OVERALL - 4/10

1. Taken as a purely forward-looking puzzle game (with a well-told story, to boot), Layton provides DS entertainment in a unique fashion. [JPN Import; May 2007, p.112]
  2. Lots of variety, good use of the touch screen. [May 2008, p.73]
  3. As good as the puzzles are, the presentation is almost better. [JPN Import; May 2007, p.77]