9.1

1. Sep 13, 2010
    Definitely the strongest of the three Layton games released in the US so far, Unwound Future successfully blends casual puzzle solving along with a compelling storyline. The formula hasn't changed an awful lot since the first title, though many subtle improvements to game mechanics and general presentation have been made. Cut scenes and audio files are clearer than ever, with added improvements to the second titles 'memo' function (such as the ability to change ink colour) being of great aid during those more trickier of brain teasers. The pace of the game may be a little too slow for some, though it's not difficult to become captivated by Layton's gorgeous looking surroundings and intrigued by some of the more perplexing mysteries that pop up during the final half of the adventure. Voice acting, be it fitting, can seem incredibly cheesy and at some points fails to aid the experience as it irritates more than captivates.

Hint Coins have almost tripled in numbers since the first title, with the new optional 'Super Hint' function allowing far more users to solve even the most complicated of math puzzles without feeling like you've cheated.

If you enjoyed the first two Layton outings- I cannot recommended this third game enough, as it's certainly the best of the three. Puzzles remain fun and do not detract from the experience as much as they did with Curious Village, with most being optional if players wish to favour the narrative and push on with it instead.
  2. Nov 28, 2011
    Amazing Story, brilliant puzzles. This is indeed the greatest Layton game thus far, the music is amazing, the visuals are amazing (If you like the style), and the ending had me in tears. No questions asked, 10/10.
  3. Jan 14, 2014
    Easily the best of the Layton bunch. The puzzles are as strong as ever, but it is the epic, yet very touching story that elevates this game above its immensely charming peers.
  4. Jan 1, 2011
    The first couple of Layton game somehow managed to pass me by but having played this non stop for the past week i can see why they've become so popular. This is incredibly polished with graphics, cut scenes and music among the best on the DS. Although the story didn't really grip me this is all about the puzzles and boy does it excel! Full of imagination, the puzzles vary from the logical, visual and mathematical. The harder puzzles will give most people a challenge yet the handy hints system makes this a game that should appeal to all ages and intellect.
    Layton is THE perfect game to unwind after a long days work. If you have even the slightest interest in puzzles then you will love this game, simple as that!
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    the best layton game to date. the storyline has tons of shocking twists, great villains that you will both hate and feel sorry for, and some of the most emotional moments in video game history. great puzzles, excellently animated cutscenes, a well done orchestral score, unwound future is another great layton game.
  6. Sep 19, 2010
    I have played all 3 Professor Layton games so far and this is by far my favorite. The formula is almost exactly the same as before (but that's not a bad thing) and the art is as good as ever. The cut scenes are clear, crisp and quite entertaining but the main point of this game is its puzzles. The puzzles are ingenious, clever and surprisingly fresh, some require hard thinking, some are visual puzzles and there are those which utterly bamboozle you until you realise the answer has been under your nose the whole time. these puzzles truly make the game great, but what makes it brilliant is the story. It is far more character based this time round and gives a brilliant insight into the characters - Luke, Layton and Flora - and really shows who they really are. It shows the player the emotions of the characters for really the first time, and we get to see Layton with his hat off for the first time!! This game is well worthy of a ten and I believe the Professor Layton is one of the best series of all time and this is a brilliant way to cap off the first trilogy. Expand
  7. Sep 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Professor Layton and the Curious Village was about finding the late millionaires treasure, The Golden Apple. Turns out the village and all of it's inhabitants except for two people, are just robots to protect his Golden Apple. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box was about finding out who hurt Professor's mentor, and find the true meaning behind the box. Hallucinogenic Gas was behind it all, made people see themselves and everything differently.

Then we have the third entry into the series. The Unwound Future. The story behind this one is Luke and Hershel Layton get sent 10 years into the future. There they find Future Luke who needs their help to save London from an "evil Professor Layton."

The story is good, but not something to brag about. Compared to the first game's story which I thought was the best, or even compared to the second story, you get a sense of them stretching the story in this title. The animation is still much the same, and the gorgeous animated cut scene's mixed with the top notch, near perfect voice acting is all in tack.

The puzzles this time, are a bit different. As the game deals with time travel, be prepared to deal with time based puzzles.

There's different minigames for you to waste your time with, but they're very forgettable. But, here's the best part: Spoilers ahead

While this story is about saving the London 10 years into the future, the best part of the story was giving the player a backstory of Hershel Layton, where he got his hat, if he had a girlfriend. And after you solve the mystery to save London, we're treated with the best cutscene in the series. I won't say what causes it, but we see Professor take his hat off to show his hair, and we see Layton cry. Mix that with the beautiful music, and it's a very touching moment.

The game is great. As you would come to expect with the Professor Layton games. But the stories this time around are feeling a bit rushed. It's still a top notch DS game, but when compared to my favorite, The Curious Village, it falls short of the pedestal.
  8. Dec 21, 2010
    Yet another enjoyable, puzzle-filled Layton adventure which only suffers from a bit too wild and massive story, and the fact that the series is becoming a little too familiar and predictable for its own good.
  9. Jan 22, 2011
    I have all three Layton games and this one is my favourite. The story is brilliantly told, you feel like you're solving a mystery, the cutscenes are as brilliant as ever, the characters are great and the game rewards you brilliantly as you solve puzzles and brain teasers which suprisingly, are really fun. Why a 9? Well, the problems the past two have have not been fixed. You still have to go through a million menus and searching around for hint coins with dialogue boxes popping up everywhere is really frustrating. Also, the game is set in Great Britain, but this game feels... French. Other than that, listen to my advice. If you want a puzzle game with an intriguing storyline, this won't let you down. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2011
    If you've liked the previous two Professor Layton games, then this one will not disappoint. Another large collection of different types of puzzles set to another mysterious story line. Although I found the main story a bit weaker then the previous two games, it's still wonderful and makes up for it by giving a heartfelt look into our protagonist's past. Add in the great music and animations, this is another fantastic puzzle story game for the DS. Collapse
  11. Oct 15, 2011
    amazing. get for the story and my score of 93%, cause its flawless, but isnt perfect, so buy with the next money you recieve, or if youve got some, what r u waiting for? stop reading and go get...
  12. Nov 13, 2011
    Most of the 5 points I've awarded this title are for the story, which is lovely, as in previous Layton games. Unfortunately the gameplay lets it down - many of the puzzles are rehashes of those from the previous games, and some really clutch at straws - some really convoluted questions and solutions.

The graphics have improved from the previous title, and there are a lot more animated
    sections that add exposition to the tale. Layton himself shows a different side throughout the story, fleshing out the character beyond his desperate need to be a gentleman.

Side missions this time around include the completion of 3 sticker books, where you need to place the correct stickers on the correct pages to tell the story; a radio controlled car game where you have a limited number of direction-changing arrows to guide the car to the end; and a parrot delivery game in which you draw perches to guide you parrot to it's goal. You get to name the parrot when you meet him - the potential for hilarity is great ;)

These side missions add a lot of time and value to the game, and provide some of the most difficult puzzles on the cart.

Fans of the series will surely enjoy this, but the challenge is slight compared to the previous two titles.
  13. Feb 20, 2012
    this has got to be my single favorite DS game ever, the story line is amazing, the puzzles are great, i can not think of one negative about this game, i would highly recommend it to others
  14. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first game that made me cry at the end. The story is definitely the best from all Layton games, the first one being too childish and the second being... well, Twilight-esque, if you know what I mean. The puzzles are great as always, and the characters loveable. Unfortunately, the series as a whole didn't progress much at all since the first instalment. Good game, but if you played the previous ones do not expect to be surprised. Looking forward to Phoenix Wright vs Prof. Layton, as it should actually shake things up. Expand
  15. Apr 30, 2012
    My favourite in the Layton series so far, and a relief after the disappointing Diabolical Box. The puzzles are of course good, as is the game design and visual style (as we've come to expect), but what makes this my favourite is the story. It may require a huge suspension of disbelief compared to the first game, but the ending is so striking and emotional. It more than makes up for minor story flaws. Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    I have played all of the Layton games available in the US. I enjoy the presentation of the games, presenting a story Puzzles and wonderful creative writing. Unwound future has the most puzzles, and can overwhelm you with them at times, but the ending is the best in the series, especially if you have played the other games and enjoyed them. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys puzzles, as this game presents many of them with alot of variety Expand
  17. Mar 2, 2013
    Sorry to say, but I just didn't feel this as much as I felt the others in the series. The location got pretty old quick, puzzles could be guess and checked which is exactly what you don't want to happen. The story was also pretty farfetched. Now I know, all of the stories are farfetched, but this one was so out of it. I could count several plot holes that arose from the last few twists, and this seriously ruined the experience that Layton is known for. I will give credit, however, for that emotional ending, and for some puzzles that did keep me engaged. It was just the weakest of the series, that's all, and that's still saying a lot, since this entire series is fantastic. Disappointing, on a medium scale. Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    In my opinion this game is perfect, which is something I would never normally say. The story in this game is the best aspect as it will keep you wrapped up in the magic of it right up until the amazingly crafted ending which will make you cry. Despite some people complaining that the game is too easy, the puzzles hit the right balance of being welcoming to new players at the beginning and challenging to veterans of the series at the end. Yes the graphics aren't amazing but that isn't something I am willing to mark this game down on due to the limitations of the ds. There is something about this game that makes it so much fun to play again and again as I must have completed the game 6 or 7 times since I got it when it was first released. This is truly my favourite game of all time and is the only game I would ever call perfect which is a huge award to give as I own well over 100 games across multiple platforms. I would recommend this game to anyone who owns a ds or a 3ds as it is by far the best in the series. Go out and buy it now. Expand
  19. Jul 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game lives up to and exceeds the expectations of the previous games, it combines the joy of the ah ha! Moment and a great story. The voice acting in it is incredible, I felt the sorrow of Herschel, and knew the anger of Clive and understood the acceptance of Claire. I was left saddened and happy for everyone once the story was over. Expand
  20. Jul 15, 2014
    Hands down my favourite title in the entire Professor Layton series.
    The quality of the music and the visuals are slightly improved compared to the preceding two games, and the puzzles as usual manage to achieve the perfect balance between challenging and mind-boggling. This game sees with it the improvement of the invaluable Memo function, now with the ability to change ink colour. Also,
    the Super-Hint Coin makes its debut, meaning it's less likely you'll be needing to side-glance the walkthrough after all...
    What sets this game apart from the pack for me, however, is its story. It was so compelling I couldn't put my DS down. The Professor's other outings have had fantastic story lines, but the Unwound Future's personal twist on Layton's part was very touching, and the ending? Heartbreaking. Also, the vengeful villain is very enjoyable - even old rivals have to lend a hand!
    So, after all my gushing, why a 9? Well, one thing that is a continual let down within the first few games of the Layton series is the voice acting. Layton and Luke are always consistent, it's just the ensemble of characters who join them that always really let the games down. It's a real shame, I wasn't really impressed with a Layton game's voice acting until Miracle Mask, which perhaps sacrificed its story-line in the process...
    If you've never played this game but have played other Layton games, then you're really missing out - a fantastic puzzle game with a lovely story!
  21. Jan 19, 2011

1. Jan 20, 2011
    As a standalone adventure, The Lost Future can't help but disappoint once its bite-sized, unimaginative nature begins to show through. [Issue#102, p.120]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    If you haven't picked up Unwound Future yet, do it. If you haven't played any of these games yet, what are you waiting for?
  3. Jan 18, 2011
    A more-than-worthy sequel in this inherently awesome franchise. Once you start playing, you won't put it down. That's a guarantee.