The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks DS

7.9

1. Apr 25, 2017
    I had many problems with phantom hourglass, but most of them have been fixed in this DS sequel: the touch screen controls are now more responsive (although a real pain during the final boss) and the main dungeon (the spirit tower) that you will be returning to during the whole game is much better in Spirit tracks than in Phantom hourglass. The fact that Zelda can control the phantoms addsI had many problems with phantom hourglass, but most of them have been fixed in this DS sequel: the touch screen controls are now more responsive (although a real pain during the final boss) and the main dungeon (the spirit tower) that you will be returning to during the whole game is much better in Spirit tracks than in Phantom hourglass. The fact that Zelda can control the phantoms adds fun gameplay, and Zelda's important role throughout the game makes the story pretty interesting. Driving the spirit train is pleasant, mainly thanks to an amazing overworked theme. Although the game may be linear at times, I don't actually care: excluding Breath of the Wild and the original Zelda for NES every Zelda game is pretty straightforward. The spirit tower and sand temple are some of the best dungeons on a handheld Zelda game: the rest of the dungeons are nothing special though. The boss fights are okay, and the addition of new items such as the sand wand make the game very fun. The best part of this game is undoubtedly the customisable pieces for the spirit train. The game has a very slow start however and getting from one place to the other is sometimes very time-comusing. the touch screen controls although improved are still unresponsive and make link roll instead of attack several times. This game is definitely flawed but its still a good game. If you own a DS and want to play Zelda, get this one it outclasses Phantom Hourglass. Expand
  2. Apr 10, 2017
    In 2007 Nintendo released Phantom Hourglass. Most of the people liked it, and a bunch of people hated it. But I think everyone will agree that it wasn’t precisely a stellar Zelda game. So when Nintendo announced Spirit Tracks, a direct sequel with the same gameplay style, the hype was relatively small. Another Phantom Hourglass, but with a train instead of a ship? I totally understandIn 2007 Nintendo released Phantom Hourglass. Most of the people liked it, and a bunch of people hated it. But I think everyone will agree that it wasn’t precisely a stellar Zelda game. So when Nintendo announced Spirit Tracks, a direct sequel with the same gameplay style, the hype was relatively small. Another Phantom Hourglass, but with a train instead of a ship? I totally understand people who didn’t give a **** about this game. But when the game came out, it turned out that it was actually a fantastic Zelda title that surpassed Phantom Hourglass in every aspect by far. Today, it still stands as one of the most unfairly underappreciated Zelda games.

Spirit Tracks has everything you would expect from a great Zelda game. The overworld is way better than Phantom Hourglass’. It is big, charming ,varied and full of interesting locations to discover. It also feels more lively and believable than PH’s. The villages are all lovely. The story is much better and engaging, with cool characters like Byrne and some pretty good villains, as well as some epic and memorable moments here and there. The dungeons are far superior to those in PH, now offering a bit more of a challenge, as well as a better aesthetic design. The bosses are great too.

As in any good Zelda game, there is a great deal of side activities to do, like helping other people with their requests, catching the bunnies, a really cool minigame where you have to fight rounds of enemies and finally bosses, and even a secret dungeon. A whole secret dungeon!!! How awesome is that? Speaking of dungeons, this game also has a master dungeon similar to the Temple of the Ocean King in PH, and it is the Tower of Spirits. Needless to say, it is much better designed and way more entertaining than its predecessor. Being able to control a Phantom in the Tower of Spirits is a really nice gameplay mechanic, and I think it was well carried out overall.

People like to speak **** of this game’s train travelling mechanic. Ok, the train is a bit slow. But I don’t know, I never had an issue with this. Travelling through the world with the train is a nice experience to me, as it managed to immerse me into the game’s world even more. And it’s not like you spend all the time travelling either.

The soundtrack completely humiliates PH’s pathetic excuse for a soundtrack, and it is clearly among the best Zelda soundtracks of all time. Listen to the Overworld Theme, and you’ll get a grasp of the quality level of this OST. Definitely one of the best aspects of the game. On the matter of music, Spirit Tracks introduces the Flute, which is kind of nice, but can get a little frustrating in some parts. Like, when I played it for the first time, I got stuck for hours on the final boss because I couldn’t perform the flute song correctly. Maybe I was being a stupid kid, because I did it on the first try on my second playthrough, so I don’t know. The flute songs might bother some people.

Can you think of any other aspect that defines a great Zelda game? Well, if you can, it’s probably present in Spirit Tracks too. 6 years after playing it for the first time, it’s still my favorite game in the DS’ library, as well as my favorite handheld Zelda title.

Score: 9.3
  3. Apr 5, 2017
    This is the first and still only Zelda game, I didn't finish. I was simply too bored to continue.
    I didn't like the villain Malladus at all. He was like a bad cartoon character.
    The concept with the trains was fun at first but in the long run too limiting and slow. I liked Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, so the graphics and gameplay were absolutely alright. But all in all it was
    I didn't like the villain Malladus at all. He was like a bad cartoon character.

But all in all it was the biggest disappointment in the franchise to me.
  4. Mar 31, 2017
    muy contento con este juego, es rico en mecánicas como todo zelda y en mecánica. las mazmorras son muy buenas y también la cooperación que realiza la princesa zelda. Dzaga
  5. Jan 31, 2017
    The reason why I loved this game was because this was my first Zelda game ever! I played it since I was 7 and I had been making theories about what did the Tower of Spirits look like before Zelda was basically killed. It also had one of the best music and I almost thought of a new Zelda game that takes place after the story that is called The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks X PhantomThe reason why I loved this game was because this was my first Zelda game ever! I played it since I was 7 and I had been making theories about what did the Tower of Spirits look like before Zelda was basically killed. It also had one of the best music and I almost thought of a new Zelda game that takes place after the story that is called The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks X Phantom Hourglass since I also love that game. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2016
    The only main problem with this game is that this game is strange and out of place. Overall this game has great gameplay, good controls, and you can play on the go!
  7. Jul 22, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I should enjoy a Zelda game. I should have fun and be motivated to in fact go back and find all the secrets. But in The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, I don't have those feelings. So let's talk about how bad this game really is. For one, the over-world. It's GARBAGE. There is nothing there, no secret treasures, no hidden caves, no enemy posts, just emptiness. And the scenery...well, there is none, unless you like looking at flat trees. The game-play isn't too bad, but still atrocious. Moving your stylus across a screen is STUPID! Sure, you get used to it, but it's still bad. This is especially bad in combat scenarios. Now, I love the combat in most Zelda games, but I just don't like it in the DS titles. Sliding the stylus and tapping on the enemy to attack? Why not use the B button, there's nothing assigned to that. Why not just use buttons? The story is really not appealing either. Right from the start, you have no idea what's going on. Why is an older Niko here? Why is this guy called Alfonzo here? I have an exam today? What? It's one of the worst Zelda openings I've ever seen. And then Zelda gets her body taken by some guys that we NEVER see until about 3/4 through the game. What kind of game makes me FORGET who the main villain is? They could've easily done a Twilight Princess and shown us Cole and Malladus much later in the game, having Bryne pose as the main villain for a while (in Twilight Princess, Zant is believed to be the main villain until we see Ganondorf much later in the game...or on the box art of the HD re-release). The dungeons were pretty easy to figure out, the bosses were cool and unique, and the items... Well, they weren't too bad. Some of them even made it to later games (Sand Wand in A Link Between Worlds; Whip in Skyward Sword), so that's a plus. Then there's the final parts of the game. The Dark Realm is awful, and then the final boss is TERRIBLE. Moving Zelda AND Link around at the same time is NOT FUN. It was much better in Wind Waker, where you only controlled Link, and Zelda moved on her own. Then after beating the boss, the Lokomos rise into the air and leave, because the game thinks that apparently I cared for those people who sat in train cars all their life, just waiting for me to come along to open the door to a temple. Can I also take a moment to say that the equivalent of the Master Sword in this game, since the sword is currently at the bottom of the ocean, is the Lokomo Sword. What kind of sword has RAILS etched into the blade!? And last and definitely least, the trains. The train is the WORST part about this game. It's SO slow, and because there's nothing in the world, about 90% of this game is spent doing nothing... This is by far one of the worst Zelda games out there. Tried to be original, but failed miserably. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2016
    This game is the scum of the Zelda franchise. You can only get enjoyment out of this if you love torturing yourself, or if you don't know what a Zelda game is all about. This game is an instant turn off to the series if you have never played a Zelda game before. I recommend a good game before you tread into the evil that is Spirit Tracks So finally, without anymore banter, I will tell youThis game is the scum of the Zelda franchise. You can only get enjoyment out of this if you love torturing yourself, or if you don't know what a Zelda game is all about. This game is an instant turn off to the series if you have never played a Zelda game before. I recommend a good game before you tread into the evil that is Spirit Tracks So finally, without anymore banter, I will tell you what sucks about this game.
    -=-=Travel=-=-
    The travel in this game is the most boring aspect. The train is very limited, its not like roaming freely around a vast area, its more linear than anything I have ever seen.
    -=-=Controls=-=-
    This is more of a personal gripe. If you have ever played a normal Zelda game (other than the overrated n64 titles) you will know that the controls of a Zelda game feel real freaking good. The stylus controls just cant do it justice in anyway shape or form. Again just a personal gripe.
    -=-=Adds Nothing=-=-
    This game adds nothing new or good to the series. Its like a phantom hourglass ripoff... with trains(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ This game seems like it could be a Chinese bootleg or something with the amount of unoriginality that is being spewed at your face while playing this. That is all of my ranting, I hope I could open the eyes of all these reviews that said it was good. Good day, and good night
  9. Mar 29, 2016
    This game in a "Deku" nutshell is good. There isn't much that stands out as amazing and there isn't much that is bad either. The towns in this game are fun but they aren't very big with only the dungeons being of any large size for this game. However there are lots of towns/villages with many stations to find on other tracks. The side quests in this game are fun and numerous and theyThis game in a "Deku" nutshell is good. There isn't much that stands out as amazing and there isn't much that is bad either. The towns in this game are fun but they aren't very big with only the dungeons being of any large size for this game. However there are lots of towns/villages with many stations to find on other tracks. The side quests in this game are fun and numerous and they unlock more of the spirit tracks that you have to travel along to reach destinations which allows for faster travel across the lands and adds some tracks that reveal new stations that have things like mini games or treasure on them. I also love the train customization as there is a few choices and all of them are different but you have to collect treasure to build them which is a problem as some are very difficult to find. If it had been done like Phantom Hourglass I would have liked it more but I understand that some people didn't like the way it was done in that game. The bosses are all cool and unique and some can be challenging like the Sand Temple's boss. The problem is that none of these are super unique and everything is done to a good standard. This doesn't mean that it is a bad game but compared to other Zelda titles like Ocarina of Time and A Link to the past it doesn't stand out.

Thanks for reading my review.
  10. Oct 19, 2015
    This was my first experience with Zelda on a handheld console, and I got it Christmas morning. Didn't put the DS down for hours. Great story, great enemies, and great bosses. My only pet peeve is the use of the microphone in the game which can be hard and touchy. Nintendo should remake this game for 3DS with an extended storyline and DLC.
  11. Oct 3, 2015
    This was my second Zelda game after The Phantom Hourglass. I was only 9 when I started to play this! Its graphics are incredibly good, its controls are the same of The Phantom Hourglass, but a little better, and its story is even better than The Phantom Hourglass's. I basically fell in love with this game after one day playing it. It's Phantom Hourglass better in every way! BetterThis was my second Zelda game after The Phantom Hourglass. I was only 9 when I started to play this! Its graphics are incredibly good, its controls are the same of The Phantom Hourglass, but a little better, and its story is even better than The Phantom Hourglass's. I basically fell in love with this game after one day playing it. It's Phantom Hourglass better in every way! Better dungeons, better puzzles, better central dungeon, better playable character, this game has EVERYTHING! If you plan to play this, you can count with a diversity of enemies, good soundtrack, extremely funny mini games, excellent side quests and an admirable relation with The Phantom Hourglass. So what are you waiting for?
    Don't let yourself be confused by people who say "this is not Zelda, it is too easy", or "this is not Zelda, it is too complicated", because all of them are wrong. Spirit Tracks IS Zelda, and it's puzzles begin with certain facility (just so you get the controls and the idea), but at the end they are extremely complicated and -the best part- you don't even notice it!
    Even with the side quests, the game is pretty linear, so you always know what you have to do - which is good, right? That can kind of disappoint the first Zelda fans, who like to discover themselves what are they supposed to do. But if you are a "Zelda Starter", you should completely play this game. Worth every penny spent :) Hope I was helpful
  12. Aug 17, 2015
    To get my main complaints out of the way, traversing the overworld is boring and uneventful. You eventually activate Stargate-looking warps but they each take you to one specific spot! It's bad enough that you can't warp from anywhere like in Wind Waker, but once you enter a warp you can't even choose which warp to go to from there! And completionists will have a problem because you haveTo get my main complaints out of the way, traversing the overworld is boring and uneventful. You eventually activate Stargate-looking warps but they each take you to one specific spot! It's bad enough that you can't warp from anywhere like in Wind Waker, but once you enter a warp you can't even choose which warp to go to from there! And completionists will have a problem because you have to collect treasures to buy all the train parts, but you have to rely and randomly getting the right treasures from the environment. You have to grind by leaving and reentering areas over and over again hoping you'll get the right stuff.

But enough complaining. You're a Zelda fan: if you can get over the train segments then you'll like this game. And interestingly, I think Zelda plays a larger part in this game than any other Zelda title, because the titular princess is now your very own sidekick! This lets you get a better impression of who she is as a character, which I liked. And Spirit Tracks also has the coolest instrument of any Zelda game in my opinion, because blowing into the microphone gives the impression that you are actually playing it!

Reasons to skip this game:
    - If you don't like Toon Link or Zelda in general
    - If you're a compulsive completionist and can't stand to have missing items
    - The overworld is slow and boring to traverse
    - There's not a lot that's different about this installment in the series

Key differences between this and Phantom Hourglass:
    - Because of the titular tracks, Spirit Tracks gives you even less control in the overworld navigation
    - Spirit Tracks is more detached from the Wind Waker storyline
    - Spirit Tracks gives you a cool instrument to play like in other Zelda games
    - The recurring dungeon in Spirit Tracks has no time limit, and doesn't require you to redo sections
  13. Mar 16, 2015
    Entspannende Zugfahrten , gute Unterhaltung , spannende Kämpfe und innovative Minigames : Das ist Spirit Tracks . Minister von Glaiss , Delok und Lineback waren geniale Charaktere und erst die Soundtracks ! Der zweite und vierte Boss hatte enorm geile Battletracks , aber der Finalkampf hat den besten überhaupt ! Unschlagbar , dieses Game ! ^-^
  14. Nov 23, 2014
    This is a great game that is definitely underrated by most. Yes, the graphics are cartoonish, and the train ride is a bit long, but there are some sweet puzzles in the game. Definitely a must play for any Zelda fan.
  15. Nov 4, 2014
    This game gets too much hate. It is a huge improvement over Phantom Hourglass, with better dungeons, music, gameplay, story and boss battles. Traveling is also much better than before, some people might think it's tedious, but at least it adds some variety unalike in Phantom Hourglass where absolutely nothing happens.
  16. Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't like this game as much as I thought it would. The game is very constricted due to the train mechanic, and there isn't much to explore. The characters and story were also pretty bad and even annoying. However, I think the dungeons and bosses were very well made, and the flute was pretty interesting, albeit difficult to control.
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    Un juego que me llego al alma , me encantas los trenes y ademas este juego es el que link esta mas compañado de zelda ,la historia es muy buena el final es muy lindo y tiene 3 alternativos , agregado a todo esto el juego tiene muchas misiones secundarias , estaciones por descubrir , la mazmorra del "al ataque " donde te vuelves a enfrentar con todos los jefes y una sombra de toon link,Un juego que me llego al alma , me encantas los trenes y ademas este juego es el que link esta mas compañado de zelda ,la historia es muy buena el final es muy lindo y tiene 3 alternativos , agregado a todo esto el juego tiene muchas misiones secundarias , estaciones por descubrir , la mazmorra del "al ataque " donde te vuelves a enfrentar con todos los jefes y una sombra de toon link, podria ser dark link o el link del phantom hourglass ya que en el combate esta su melodia , es muy divertido el juego , y con puzles bastantes dificiles tanto en tren como en link a pie . Exelente juego el mejor de ds Expand
  18. Jun 27, 2014
    Phantom Hourglass was a good game and it was a lot of fun, but it had lots of little problems that irritated a lot of people. Spirit tracks fixed lots of those problems such as the very boring over world, and the train to me just seemed more fun than the boat. It is much more detailed than Phantom hourglass in just about every way. Its main dungeon the tower of spirits is more interestingPhantom Hourglass was a good game and it was a lot of fun, but it had lots of little problems that irritated a lot of people. Spirit tracks fixed lots of those problems such as the very boring over world, and the train to me just seemed more fun than the boat. It is much more detailed than Phantom hourglass in just about every way. Its main dungeon the tower of spirits is more interesting than the temple of the ocean king because you can control a phantom. It has less dungeons than most zelda games but a lot of side quests some of which are quite fun! I cant think of many things that this game did wrong, i can only think of things that would have made it better. Spirit tracks is one of the best games on the ds and a great entry in the legend of zelda series. Expand
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    A wonderful addition to the DS and LoZ library of games. The touch control similar to that of Phantom Hourglass is greatly designed, although I would've preferred D-Pad moving...It does take all the capabilities of the ds and uses them well. Although some puzzles and the story may be a bit dumbed down, it's definitely a fun game that's worth your cash! The multiplayer is addicting asA wonderful addition to the DS and LoZ library of games. The touch control similar to that of Phantom Hourglass is greatly designed, although I would've preferred D-Pad moving...It does take all the capabilities of the ds and uses them well. Although some puzzles and the story may be a bit dumbed down, it's definitely a fun game that's worth your cash! The multiplayer is addicting as well....and the ability to have single card download play is a great addition to this game

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Music: 8/10
    Presentation: 8.5/10
    Length: 8/10
    Overall: 8/10
  20. Dec 22, 2013
    The worst zelda game to date the story is way more bland than size matters gameplay is so watered down and the music is super bland don't get me wrong this is a fairly average game but it is not what I expected in a zelda game.
  21. Sep 2, 2013
    Spirit Tracks is the standard zelda- dungeon structure, items, bosses, puzzles. Though it doesn't innovate as much as it should, it's a solid adventure.
    Link must, as usual, take on some terrible evil, rescue someone, and save the land of Hyrule. To do this, he must traverse dungeons, fight enemies, solve puzzles, and explore Hyrule. This is the ordinary zelda we have known for years.
    I
    I won't talk about the structure of a zelda game, or any of that, because you know it already. Instead, the differences.
    The graphics are good but not great- scenery is especially flat, but dungeons look good. The music is often great, woth a lovely overworld theme, though I wasn't keen on the dungeon music.
    Spirit Tracks has an unusual control scheme ehich using the stylus for everything, like Phantom Hourglass. While this sounds cumbersome, in reality it opens up new possibilities. It's used in a variety of clever ways, from drawing a path for you to throw the boomerang to control where Link (or Zelda) goes. And Spirit Tracks deserves an award for being the first ever game to make blowing into a microphone fun. One item, the whirlwind, which you obtain early in the storyline, lets you create a gust of wind. You do this by blowing.
    Another innovation is one I didn't enjoy: the train driving. Link has explored before by horse, by boat, on foot, by bird... but now he commands a train. The touch screen is used well for this, but when on the rails, there is little to do, and in the end you're just sitting there waiting for the train to reach its destination. There are other features brought in to try to make it more interesting, like enemies, but all you do to kill them is to shoot with cannons, an incredibly boring experience. Worse, if they hit you enough, you'll die, forcing you to make the entire journey again.
    Thankfully for Spirit Tracks, there are very many stations and places, so when advancing through the storyline, you'll rarely be driving for a very long time in one go. There are many fiendish overworld puzzles, which are excellently presented. Sometimes I however found myself hating those tedious fetch quests.
    Spirit Tracks also has a 'tower of spirits', which plays a vital part in the storyline. You'll progress through it in between dungeons, but it's like a giant dungeon, with multiple sections, in itself. I found it a little uninspired despite introducing an interesting new mechanic.
    Spirit tracks' dungeon gameplay is thankfully as good as ever- puzzles are inventive and challenging, and you'll find a surprisingly high amount of mini-bosses, something which I love. The dungeon bosses are very cleverly constructed too. And don't be put off by the fact there are only five dungeons, as Spirit Tracks has a lot more content in between each dungeon than other zeldas, resulting in 30-40 hour experience. There are also plenty of side quests to complete, which could add on over twenty extra hours, too.
    Spirit Tracks is a Zelda game, through and through. While this means it plays it a little too safe, it also means you're guaranteed a great time. There's even a multiplayer battle mode that sees you fighting to collect more gems than your opponents. It's crazy, and, surprisingly, hilarious fun with plenty of traps you can activate to bring down your opponent. Expect a lot of fun from that feature.
  22. Apr 10, 2013
    I love The Legend Of Zelda but this game should never have been released. The train-travel sections are mind-numbingly boring and feel as if they're included just to pad the game out, while the dungeons are short and overly simple. For a good hand-held Zelda game, try Phantom Hourglass, or the 3D remake of Ocarina Of Time. Spirit Tracks is a complete embarrassment.
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    When Phantom Hourglass was released, I was impressed: they seemed to have envisioned the perfect DS Zelda game. It made good use of pretty much every DS feature, from the touchscreen (you actually control Link's moves and sword attacks with the stylus) to stuff like the microphone (used to blow into one of the weapons and shout).

Enter Spirit Tracks, and it seems Nintendo has made the

Enter Spirit Tracks, and it seems Nintendo has made the old adage "if it itsn't broken, don't fix it" ring truer than ever. Everything I loved about Phantom Hourglass is back, along with some new features. The game succeeds by pretty much every metric: charming cell-shaded graphics, dynamic and fun controls (which have been considerably improved to give the touchscreen more sensibility), funny characterization, amazing sound.

The train setting is even more fleshed-out than the seas of Phantom Hourglass, and just as endearing. Side quests should give you a lot of extra stuff to do in game (even though some of them, like the train customization, is a bit too tedious to really get going). Overall, Spirit Tracks is a game that does exactly what it should and almost never disappoints.
  24. Feb 3, 2013
    I guess Nintendo decided to carry on the easy, casual gameplay they brought in with Phantom Hourglass, because, this is quite frankly, one of the easier titles in the series. Nevertheless, Spirit Tracks provides the same fun, innovative touch-screen gameplay as it's predecessor and offers a smooth, progressive storyline. The action is not something to get worked about. Although, some ofI guess Nintendo decided to carry on the easy, casual gameplay they brought in with Phantom Hourglass, because, this is quite frankly, one of the easier titles in the series. Nevertheless, Spirit Tracks provides the same fun, innovative touch-screen gameplay as it's predecessor and offers a smooth, progressive storyline. The action is not something to get worked about. Although, some of the boss battles can be quite challenging at times. The game also offers some challenging dungeons (though few) and is a great DS title to add to your collection. It is a must-buy for DS owners and fans of all Zelda games. Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2012
    I hated Phantom Hourglass. The over world sucked, the music was bland, the puzzles were insultingly easy, and the plot was an excuse. So why does this game get a perfect ten from me? Because it did just about everything right. Admittedly the over world wasn't as good as in the 3D Zelda games, but it's still a vast improvement. The music offers some of the best tracks in the entireI hated Phantom Hourglass. The over world sucked, the music was bland, the puzzles were insultingly easy, and the plot was an excuse. So why does this game get a perfect ten from me? Because it did just about everything right. Admittedly the over world wasn't as good as in the 3D Zelda games, but it's still a vast improvement. The music offers some of the best tracks in the entire franchise, such as the Sacred Duet and the Overworld theme. The puzzles were easily the best out of any Zelda game, making it a bit more of a puzzle game than an action-adventure title. Finally, the plot was probably the best in the series, involving many great characters with a lot of life to them(Especially Zelda and Byrne). This game is different than other Zelda games, but as we established with Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword, different doesn't mean bad. Collapse
  26. Aug 30, 2012
    I have no clue whatsoever why everyone seems to not hate this game, never mind actually LIKE it. It just about makes it to 'playable', but you will NOT enjoy playing it. The controls are annoying (Couldn't they have just made it possible to use the D-Pad?), paticularly when you have to blow on the microphone. It provides limited levels of entertainment for a few hours. Then it suffersI have no clue whatsoever why everyone seems to not hate this game, never mind actually LIKE it. It just about makes it to 'playable', but you will NOT enjoy playing it. The controls are annoying (Couldn't they have just made it possible to use the D-Pad?), paticularly when you have to blow on the microphone. It provides limited levels of entertainment for a few hours. Then it suffers from the same affliction to plague the whole Zelda series. Bottlenecks. You're in a dungeon. It's mildly enjoyable despite the fact you're fumbling a bit with the awkward control scheme. Then you come to a room full of random objects. It gives you no clue as to how to proceed. You know that due to the way the series works if you do some random sequence of things the door will open. That's it. It gives you no clue as to what this sequence of things might be. If you can figure it out by pure chance then you have some awkward combat. Repeat ad infnitum. I hate this game. Expand
  27. Aug 23, 2012
    Large improvements from Phantom Hourglass, enjoyed it through the whole game (100%).
    Minor setback was the pan flute, it's not my ideal instrument and playing next to a complete stranger makes it awkward to play.
  28. Aug 13, 2012
    I don't know how they did it, but they managed to screw up a Zelda game, and royally at that. I will admit many of the Zelda series can be rather samey, given how many of them are out there, but they are usually enjoyable none the less. This addition is not. It is terrible, and not worth your time or money.I don't know how they did it, but they managed to screw up a Zelda game, and royally at that. I will admit many of the Zelda series can be rather samey, given how many of them are out there, but they are usually enjoyable none the less. This addition is not. It is terrible, and not worth your time or money.
    Where to begin? Basically, if you take everything you love about the Zelda series, and flush it down the toilet, and you will obtain the Spirit Tracks. Overworld exploration, a staple of the series, has been eliminated entirely, replaced with the Spirit Tracks and a train the runs on them. Essential you ride a train between several points on a map, each representing a location you can visit in the game. Riding the train essentially boils down to selecting the correct direction when you reach various intersections, and just waiting otherwise. Poor choices at intersections essentially amount to more waiting. Simply put, the trains do little more than waste time whenever you want to transition between maps, and are a horrible substitute for the overworld map found in most installments.
    Next is the controls. Crippled is the only way to describe them. Rather than use the D-Pad for movement and the buttons for the sword and items, the stylus is used both to move link and to attack enemies. Both actions are carried out by clicking on the appropriate portion of the screen. Accidentally click just to the side of a monster, a you will walk face first into them rather than strike them with the sword. It only gets worse with items. One of the first you get fires tornadoes. You first have to select it with the stylus, then select the direction with the stylus, and then blow on the microphone to fire the thing. Its awkward as hell to operate, you can't move the character while doing so, and background vibrations, such as the motion of the car, can cause the thing to unintentionally fire. With a sensible control scheme, just about anyone would find much of this game a cake walk. Much of the difficult in playing this game arises from the terrible control scheme, not the puzzles or challenges. These controls wouldn't even be acceptable on a indie title written in somebodies garage, the fact that they made it into a Zelda game is inexcusable.
    I found the dungeons and puzzles to be dull and uninspiring. The aesthetics are terrible. The dungeons all appear rather similar, and exploring them gets boring rather quickly. The puzzles simply are not interesting. The unique dungeon delving mechanic in Spirit Tracks involves an AI companion that you give pathing instruction to. The companion move rather slowly, so a lot of time will be spent just waiting for the AI to move around. The companion probably doesn't waist as much time as the bloody trains, but its still more unnecessary waiting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The short of it is that you have a game with crippled controls, two mechanics that just waist the players time, and nothing to really see or do that justified putting up with these problems. You really are not missing anything by skipping this installment. Don't trust the positive reviews, too many people are willing to give any installment in this series a past. Their are far better uses for your entertainment budget.
  29. sLm
    Jul 8, 2012
    Though it may feel a bit similar to Phantom Hourglass, it's a good game, and they fixed many issues present in the previous game. For example, now you don't have to repeat the last Temple all over again, and there's no countdown, which is very very good in my opinion, it let's you enjoy the dungeons relaxed and without hurry. Also, you can control Zelda, who can possess special soldiersThough it may feel a bit similar to Phantom Hourglass, it's a good game, and they fixed many issues present in the previous game. For example, now you don't have to repeat the last Temple all over again, and there's no countdown, which is very very good in my opinion, it let's you enjoy the dungeons relaxed and without hurry. Also, you can control Zelda, who can possess special soldiers with cool abilities. Regarding dungeons, we get a couple new items very cool, like the sand lifter and the whip (I love this xd), as well as old ones like the boomerang and arrows. Bombs looks not to be needed to go ahead in the game, but you can take them too. Dungeons start easy, but in the mid-end game they become truly challenging, which may be a let down at first, but after you discover how to solve the difficult puzzles, it feels more rewarded than solving easy ones, which is very good. The hardest part of the game was the train pursuit almost at the end of the game, where you must destroy all the mad trains (it's really hard, they change their direction any time and pursuit you lol, you have to memorize their tracks to get them or you are dead). I recommend saving game after beating that xD. So, after some really frustrating moments in which I literally went mad at the game haha, I think it was worth playing it, because it's very rewarding in the end, due to it's difficulty. :) Expand
  30. May 20, 2012
    I was truly blown away with Spirit Tracks, it's a phenomenal game and I honestly can't bring myself to give it anything less then a 10/10, It's truly a masterpiece. The story and characters a fantastic, and provide some truly emotional and laugh out loud moments, the gameplay is fantastic featuring solid combat backed by great controls (although I probably would have preferred a moreI was truly blown away with Spirit Tracks, it's a phenomenal game and I honestly can't bring myself to give it anything less then a 10/10, It's truly a masterpiece. The story and characters a fantastic, and provide some truly emotional and laugh out loud moments, the gameplay is fantastic featuring solid combat backed by great controls (although I probably would have preferred a more traditional control scheme, this one works very well) and some really complex puzzles that will have you using every ounce of brain power you've got. The graphics look fantastically adorable, but don't let it's cuteness fool you this is every bit a hardcore gamers game(that also can be enjoyed by more casual gamers), and the soundtrack is outstanding and one of the best I've heard in a video game. And the bosses are epic most of them take up both screens and require skill along with quick thinking and reflexes, and the new items are great and the inventory system is fantastic. the game also packs a lot of content in the form of side quests and treasure hunting, the treasure hunting makes excellent use of the ability to write notes and mark locations on the map and kinda gives it a Indiana Jones feel, well that and the whip XD. I'm sure you've heard the complaints about the train by now and I'm just gong to give my opinion, I liked it, I thought it was a pretty sweet addition especially when you use it for combat (which controls wonderfully by the way). I highly recommend this game it's truly a amazingly fun experience and that's why I give it a 10 out of 10. Expand
  31. Apr 12, 2012
    Spirit Tracks is an enjoyable and suitable epic Zelda adventure. The world is sprawling and the unique DS features (touch controls, microphone) are used in imaginative ways and get the most of the handheld. The two primary concepts of ST are the trains used to navigate the world and having Zelda as a very useful companion. These are both great but are also responsible for the game's mainSpirit Tracks is an enjoyable and suitable epic Zelda adventure. The world is sprawling and the unique DS features (touch controls, microphone) are used in imaginative ways and get the most of the handheld. The two primary concepts of ST are the trains used to navigate the world and having Zelda as a very useful companion. These are both great but are also responsible for the game's main flaws. As fun as the train mechanics are, they are used to such an extent that it becomes a bit tiresome and feels like padding. As for Zelda, her AI can be downright embarrassing at times. These aren't huge grievances but they do detract from the overall experience. Overall, the good far outweighs the bad in Spirit Tracks and the high quality of the LoZ series is kept intact. Expand
  32. Apr 12, 2012
    The game play improved, the story is decent, but the temples are too short, and when the game is too easy, it is really easy, but when it is hard, it's extremely hard, some puzzles don't give you a clue to solve, so you will get stressed, but I must admit that it's funny and very cute. You only need some patience to finish it. Not the best Zelda's game.
  33. Jan 20, 2012
    A nice game, with controls and visuals that suit the DS well. The boring part about it though is that is too easy, suppose its target audience is kids around 7-8 years old, because nearly every puzzle has an obvious solution. Also, the story is a joke (unless you are about 7-8 years old or younger...).
  34. Nov 20, 2011
    Well this game didn't really have much of a Zelda feel to it, although it was okay. I didn't like how some parts needed the microphone and then it didn't respond properly. Some temples were really easy while others were really hard. Also the train rides were very boring and bland. Even when you want to play around at an area, it got boring sometimes because the arsenal was very small. ButWell this game didn't really have much of a Zelda feel to it, although it was okay. I didn't like how some parts needed the microphone and then it didn't respond properly. Some temples were really easy while others were really hard. Also the train rides were very boring and bland. Even when you want to play around at an area, it got boring sometimes because the arsenal was very small. But all in all, this was a good game. Expand
  35. Nov 5, 2011
    Spirit Tracks does everything Phantom Hourglass did and more. Although the same basic formula of a central dungeon with stealth that must be revisited, many things have changed. The most iconic feature of Spirit Tracks is the Train, you use this to travel the realms in order to reach destinations such as temples and towns. This is quite similar to the boat, you have a cannon, you canSpirit Tracks does everything Phantom Hourglass did and more. Although the same basic formula of a central dungeon with stealth that must be revisited, many things have changed. The most iconic feature of Spirit Tracks is the Train, you use this to travel the realms in order to reach destinations such as temples and towns. This is quite similar to the boat, you have a cannon, you can customise each part of the train etc. However, there are many improvements from the boat, although the tracks are pre-made, there are many routes you can take, this makes drawing your path less awkward and enables your route to be changed easier once you have already started moving; it also allows for more challenging gameplay as you must dodge the Phantom Trains on the track (which feels slightly similar to Pacman). As well as this, your movement is more advanced, you have the ability to control the speed of the train allowing more strategic movement than Phantom Hourglass's boats allows. Personally, I preferred the train a lot more than the boat and the music complementing how fast your train is going really made the train rides fun and engaging. The train journeys can get repetitive, but the more you progress through the game, the more warp points you'll unlock and the more tracks you'll recover, meaning getting from one place to another gets quicker and quicker with every quest you complete.

The next new feature is the Spirit Flute, fans of musical instruments that almost always appear in Zelda titles will be a fan of this. It works the same as the Ocarina, only it combines touch screen and blowing to play it. There are many songs, each with different effects, which will come as familiar to anyone who has played Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. The touch and blow combo can make some of the songs a little challenging, especially the sequences where you have to blow with precise timing, which can be very frustrating. Apart from that, the flute is as worthy an instrument as the Ocarina.

The central dungeon this time is very similar to the Temple of the Ocean King; there are phantoms patrolling the area which you must sneak by, whilst solving puzzles. However, there are many changes; the time limit is removed, this makes it easier in some sense, but allows the puzzles to become more complex (which nearer the end become very challenging). You no longer have to repeat floors which you have already done multiple times, in Phantom Hourglass the temple became annoying as you could only start on the 1st floor or the 4th, which made the dungeon quite repetitive, Spirit Tracks fixes this. The main unique feature of the Spirit Tower is that Zelda is able to possess a Phantom after they have been struck by Link's tear-infused sword. This allows many unique abilities, such as a Phantom which feels very similar to playing as a Goron in Majora's Mask, and a Phantom which can teleport to seekers. This feature also allows puzzles to become more complex, more unique and makes the tower feel a lot different to the Temple of the Ocean king. In dungeons, there are many new tools and mechanics to go alongside these. Some very unique tools that have never been in Zelda games before, as well as some of the most epic and most fun bosses in the series. There are also tons of extras, loads of mini-games, such as the rabbit rescue which keeps the train journeys more enjoyable as you'll be searching for rabbits whilst you travel to your next destination. Many side-quests which use the trains mechanics, such as transporting resources from one location to another, making sure you aren't attacked or your train doesn't turn too fast and lose some of the cargo. As well as many classic mini-games such as target shooting and agility-based races which take place on foot.

The soundtrack is also one of the best in the series, from the wonderful overworld theme which changes slightly based on the speed of the train, to the epicness of the final boss theme. It really does sound beautiful.

In conclusion, there are many features which feel similar to Phantom Hourglass, and a few issues such as some frustrating flute playing and train journeys which might become boring (although they didn't for me). But there is a lot of fun to be had with this game and many aspects of the game have improved from Phantom Hourglass, as well as this there are tons of new unique features such as Zelda's ability to possess Phantoms. Spirit Tracks has changed enough and added new unique features to feel fresh and exciting, it isn't perfect, but it's certainly worthy of a place in the Zelda series.

9.5/10 (rounded up to 10 for Metacritic)
  36. Oct 15, 2011
    not as good as ph but still awesome, so buy asap, and enjoy the amazing story, train rides, and ending... and just overall, like zelda: you'll need to... 92%
  37. Jul 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For sure the worst Zelda game to date. It is a great game in every aspect except for two:
    1.story
    2.travel

What makes this game sad is that there is no story, it is a big joke. Train people and an evil leprechaun hardly stand up well in my mind. It felt more like a bit from mario, silly goofy, not at all zelda.

The travel was the worst. I actually spent half an hour because I made the wrong turn on a train track a couple times. Unlike horse travel or boat travel, if you make a wrong turn, you can't turn around. Imagine hyrule field, now imagine instead of going back 2 feet, you walk around the entire field before going inside. Its brutally unfair to such minor mistakes, especially when you try to free cam to fight off enemies or get a good look at the next dungeon. By far the most annoying thing to date, sadly the shortcuts aren't worth the time spent to unlock them.

However, the game does provide the same fun dungeons we have come to see, and it is without fail. When majora's mask followed up on ocarina of time, it was a more difficult game, but it worked, this game just doesn't.

I am on the fence, if you crave zelda and puzzles to solve, get it, it will be worth it. However leave it if you are just looking for the good ones.
  38. Jun 9, 2011
    Huge improvement over Phantom Hourglass. Improved DS Stylus control, better story - Princess Zelda is the best companion you will ever have in a Zelda game and is actually funnier, difficulty is a bit more balanced but just not there yet (Nintendo should stop catering for casual gamers on difficulty, it's like they might cry if they keep dying or can't do it and this was a huge setback forHuge improvement over Phantom Hourglass. Improved DS Stylus control, better story - Princess Zelda is the best companion you will ever have in a Zelda game and is actually funnier, difficulty is a bit more balanced but just not there yet (Nintendo should stop catering for casual gamers on difficulty, it's like they might cry if they keep dying or can't do it and this was a huge setback for Phantom Hourglass. A challenge would actually benefit them) and a more reasonable handheld length. Though the train travel is actually more tedious than the sailing in Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass, it's actually nice to travel on something new in a Zelda game. Expand
  39. Oct 10, 2010
    Phantom Hourglass was, definetely, one of the worst Zelda titles, and yet, it was fun. Spirit Tracks is better in pretty much every way it could be. The little problem we had with using the touchscreen were fixed, like the rolling attack. The soundtrack is, possibly, one of the best in the Zelda series. Spirit Tracks uses prety much everything the DS has to offer. The microfone, thePhantom Hourglass was, definetely, one of the worst Zelda titles, and yet, it was fun. Spirit Tracks is better in pretty much every way it could be. The little problem we had with using the touchscreen were fixed, like the rolling attack. The soundtrack is, possibly, one of the best in the Zelda series. Spirit Tracks uses prety much everything the DS has to offer. The microfone, the touchscreen. The buttons on the other hand... Spirit Tracks is definetely worthy of the "Zelda" title. It starts with easy dungeons, but by the end, you'll find yourself stuck for several times. The biggest problem in Phantom Hourglass, the central dungeon, is still here, but differently from the Temple of the Ocean King, the Tower of Spirits will never force you to go through floors you have already visited, instead, it will take you to differente challenges. It's a great Zelda to have in your pocket. The game is a tad bit short, lasting about 25/30 hours of gameplay. IF you are going through all the sidequests, it's a LOT longer, and for people who wants some real challenge, there is the Dark Ore Quest. Overall, Spirit Tracjs is one of the most inspired Zeldas out there, it might not be the best one, but it is one that is worth it. Expand
  40. LBC
    Sep 9, 2010
    While Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks certainly delivers the high-caliber dungeons and storyline that Zelda fans have come to expect, it falters in a big way. By adding the Train game-mechanic, Nintendo has essentially flushed out over world exploration, which is in my opinion one of the defining characteristics of the Zelda franchise. I refuse to believe that Nintendo couldn't find a wayWhile Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks certainly delivers the high-caliber dungeons and storyline that Zelda fans have come to expect, it falters in a big way. By adding the Train game-mechanic, Nintendo has essentially flushed out over world exploration, which is in my opinion one of the defining characteristics of the Zelda franchise. I refuse to believe that Nintendo couldn't find a way to keep exploration in the game and incorporate the Train at the same time. I also found that this game is noticeably easier than Phantom Hourglass. Hardcore Zelda fans will be pleased, but the rest of us on the fringe will find better gaming experiences elsewhere. Expand
  41. RileyM
    Jan 26, 2010
    Phantom Hourglass created a wonderful engine, but it used it could have used it to create such a better game. This, in my opinion, is that game. This is the way the engine should have been used to begin with. The dungeons are some of the best I've seen in Zelda since Wind Waker, and the puzzles bring in fresh new ideas. The graphics are beautiful for a DS game, much like in Phantom Phantom Hourglass created a wonderful engine, but it used it could have used it to create such a better game. This, in my opinion, is that game. This is the way the engine should have been used to begin with. The dungeons are some of the best I've seen in Zelda since Wind Waker, and the puzzles bring in fresh new ideas. The graphics are beautiful for a DS game, much like in Phantom Hourglass. My only complaints have to do with the train. The train works all right, but it seems that you spend a lot more time on it in this game. The train should have moved a bit faster than it did, and this only makes the train segments seem even longer and more boring. The excessive train usage cuts out of the exploration, and most of what Link does on foot will be in the dungeons. The storyline is also pretty generic and simple, but it gets the job done. I am not really a fan of using the microphone, but this game did a fairly good job handling it. The game is a vast improvement over Phantom Hourglass. From the awesome new items to the slightly improved difficulty, this is definitely what the DS Zeldas have needed. Expand
  42. Gannon
    Jan 24, 2010
    A so-so game, but the worst in the series. The graphics are good, and so is the music, except it's repetitive. Also, the tutorial and cutscenes are about an hour long in the begining, which is really overkill. You don't have a million things to learn like in Grand Theift Auto 4 or a cool story like in Kingdom Hearts 2. Also, the forced stealth sections are extremely boring, and A so-so game, but the worst in the series. The graphics are good, and so is the music, except it's repetitive. Also, the tutorial and cutscenes are about an hour long in the begining, which is really overkill. You don't have a million things to learn like in Grand Theift Auto 4 or a cool story like in Kingdom Hearts 2. Also, the forced stealth sections are extremely boring, and frequent. You don't have to go through several floors over and over like in Phantom Hourglass, but you have to climb a buttload of stairs to get to the next dungeon to discover the next spirit tracks map, which is STUPID!! Why isn't there an elevator up when there are elevators down? And if you save and turn off the game in one of these dungeons, it doesn't spawn you outside the floor you were on, you have to climb allllllll those stairs all over again. Also the passenger missions are extrememly redundant. I do like how you get infinate bombs when you're on the train. I also think the characters in this game are really funny. There is a train obsessed super nerd and a guy in a bunny costume who really takes rabbit-rescue seriously. Another thing I like is when you come to a yes or no option, they mix it up by giving you options like "LOCKED AND LOADED" or "I don't wanna." I just made those two examples up, but you get the idea. Those bits of interaction with the protagonist keep him from being a silent, emotionless, boring character. Even though they're small things, those interactions between you and the other characters are really immersive, and are what made the presentation in Persona 4 so perfect. What makes this game the worst is that there is nothing new. Every Zelda game did something new. Ocarina of Time introduced 3d, Majora's Mask did time manipulations, Four Swords had a level system instead of an overworld and items you could keep, Zelda 2 did sidescrolling (which sucked, though), Twilight Princess removed the magic meter, Wind Waker introduced Sailing, Phantom Hourglass introduced touchscreen controles, blah blah blah you get the idea. The train is basically the boat on rails, and taking controle of Zelda isn't really a huge innovation. There are new items but they are basically the same thing as in other games. The whip is basically a grappeling hook you can attack with, and the windmeal is just the deku leaf from Wind Waker. This game barely has any side missions, not unlike Phantom Hourglass. The puzzles have an uninspired "I've done this before" feeling to them and there are no new or interesting temple gimmicks. In conclusion, I can only recommend this if you've never played any Zelda game before, but I seem to be in minority since so many people love this game. I just dont get it!! Expand
  43. Matt
    Jan 23, 2010
    What you're going to think of this game is entirely contingent upon how much you enjoy the train element in Spirit Tracks. The reviews are mostly correct in that yes, the dungeons and "Zelda-y" portion of the game are clever and well-designed. However the pacing of the game is almost constantly interrupted by the largely mediocre travel by train. At least with Phantom Hourglass the What you're going to think of this game is entirely contingent upon how much you enjoy the train element in Spirit Tracks. The reviews are mostly correct in that yes, the dungeons and "Zelda-y" portion of the game are clever and well-designed. However the pacing of the game is almost constantly interrupted by the largely mediocre travel by train. At least with Phantom Hourglass the player could draw their own path. The train forces you to draw a path through what is essentially a linear and rigid set of paths. I want to clarify that this is a good game, but mostly because Nintendo played it safe, altering very little of the formula that made Phantom Hourglass a success. If you're a hardcore Zelda fan then you've probably already picked this one up. But if you're a casual fan of the series like me then do some research, and try before you buy. Grade: B. Expand
  44. JesseR
    Jan 18, 2010
    While some critics argue that Spirit Tracks is by no means one of the best Zelda games out there, I have to disagree. While it does echo its predecessor Phantom Hourglass from time to time, and, admittedly, there were times when I wished the train would go just a LITTLE bit faster, it is still, in my opinion, the best handheld Zelda out there. The new Tower of Spirits is a riot, and after While some critics argue that Spirit Tracks is by no means one of the best Zelda games out there, I have to disagree. While it does echo its predecessor Phantom Hourglass from time to time, and, admittedly, there were times when I wished the train would go just a LITTLE bit faster, it is still, in my opinion, the best handheld Zelda out there. The new Tower of Spirits is a riot, and after two cell-shaded ocean-traveling games it Expand
  45. MalcolmM
    Jan 17, 2010
    I'm baffled as to why this game is getting such high scores. I didn't mind Phantom Hourglass, I would rate it as 6 out of ten. Spirit Tracks is Phantom Hourglass, only worse. Worse because there is nothing new, and the travel by train is mind numbingly boring. The dungeons are now tiny, and offer little challenge. Like most of Nintendo's offerings, Zelda is a shadow of its I'm baffled as to why this game is getting such high scores. I didn't mind Phantom Hourglass, I would rate it as 6 out of ten. Spirit Tracks is Phantom Hourglass, only worse. Worse because there is nothing new, and the travel by train is mind numbingly boring. The dungeons are now tiny, and offer little challenge. Like most of Nintendo's offerings, Zelda is a shadow of its former self. Expand
  46. MineneT
    Jan 4, 2010
    A crazily remarkable game,THIS should be the sequel to the number one Zelda game The Wind Waker.phantom Hourglass was an obviously rushed game--Nintendo just wanted to get it out there without really putting their heart into it.the music was horrible--and the fact that it was all the same throughout the entire game made it worse.The gameplay was atrocious--a drastic departure from the A crazily remarkable game,THIS should be the sequel to the number one Zelda game The Wind Waker.phantom Hourglass was an obviously rushed game--Nintendo just wanted to get it out there without really putting their heart into it.the music was horrible--and the fact that it was all the same throughout the entire game made it worse.The gameplay was atrocious--a drastic departure from the dream-like TWW controls.the graphics indicated laziness.the storyline was bland and boring,the temples made you want to shoot your eyes out.ST is a jewel of a game.They enhanced graphics in subtle ways,the music is tear-inducingly beautiful,and focuses on more of the "tribal' aspects of TWW instead of the orchestra,like PH.link actually HAS a personality,unlike his neutral behavior in PH.There's suggested romantic interaction,which has been craved by fans since Ribbon kissed Kirby in his 64 debut.There's actualy DIFFERENT music for each dungeon.i think I've repeated myself.anyway,Spirit Tracks is DEFINITELY worth your money.The only reason it isn't a 10 is because The Wind Waker has already stolen that spot. Expand
  47. edf
    Dec 28, 2009
    Something needs to be done to revive zelda! Where has the old zelda magic gone?Why does it seem like it's made for a 6 year old? It would be a tradgedy to lose one of the greatest games of all time. Sadly Zelda seems to be on it's way out.
  48. NorbertN
    Dec 24, 2009
    It improves on Phantom Hourglass in every way. And it does bring some inovation to the series as well. Still there's a bit of Deja Vu though - ow many times have we had to collect the Boomerang and Bow? At least in Twilight Princess they managed to put a neat twist on many of the traditional weapons. Overall a very good game, but for me it lacked the 'OMG' factor of some of It improves on Phantom Hourglass in every way. And it does bring some inovation to the series as well. Still there's a bit of Deja Vu though - ow many times have we had to collect the Boomerang and Bow? At least in Twilight Princess they managed to put a neat twist on many of the traditional weapons. Overall a very good game, but for me it lacked the 'OMG' factor of some of the other instalments. Expand
  49. ChristopherP
    Dec 23, 2009
    Awesome, even better than Phantom Hourglass!
  50. ErnestoL
    Dec 14, 2009
    Great game! Really! I was very impressed! Awesome direction, and the only bad thing was the controls sometimes... Now i can't wait for a new Zelda game!
  51. WillY.
    Dec 13, 2009
    Great game and I'm loving the storyline. Multiplayer is a bit sad though. All you do is run around dodging phantoms and collecting force gems. Personally i preferred the old multiplayer where you had to actually think about what to do. Good game nonetheless, good job Nintendo!
  52. SteffenH
    Dec 12, 2009
    100% Improved over Phantom Hourglass. Dungeon? Fixed. Better Story, Cutscenes, Music. Despite what some have said, the Flute is so much fun. The additional 'weapons' such as the whirlwinds are used very well. But mostly, it is so much fun to have Zelda jump into one of the Phantoms and pal around the dungeons. I can't say how much MORE fun this one is over Phantom 100% Improved over Phantom Hourglass. Dungeon? Fixed. Better Story, Cutscenes, Music. Despite what some have said, the Flute is so much fun. The additional 'weapons' such as the whirlwinds are used very well. But mostly, it is so much fun to have Zelda jump into one of the Phantoms and pal around the dungeons. I can't say how much MORE fun this one is over Phantom Hourglass. Only complaint is the Train can be a little boring..but not as bad as the Sea Travel was in PH. Best game on DS by far. Amazing. Expand
  53. GabeM
    Dec 11, 2009
    Either you are going to love the train, or you're going to hate it. If you like the train, this is one of the best Zelda games you'll ever play. The dungeons are challenging, the side quests are plentiful and Zelda is hilarious. If you don't like the train you still get all the above mentioned just a means of travel that can drag on. However in my opinion it's a Either you are going to love the train, or you're going to hate it. If you like the train, this is one of the best Zelda games you'll ever play. The dungeons are challenging, the side quests are plentiful and Zelda is hilarious. If you don't like the train you still get all the above mentioned just a means of travel that can drag on. However in my opinion it's a fantastic game that every Zelda fan should experience. Expand
  54. IchigoK
    Dec 10, 2009
    +2 The new central dungeon removes the biggest complaint of phantom hourglass. +2 The addition of Zelda really expands the gameplay & story. +2 Things you can do with the train (Transporting Passengers & Materials, Blowing up stuff, Whistle, Catching Bunnies, etc...) +2 Tons of secrets, mini-games, and some incredible "Zelda" moments +2 Puzzles are very challenging especially in the +2 The new central dungeon removes the biggest complaint of phantom hourglass. +2 The addition of Zelda really expands the gameplay & story. +2 Things you can do with the train (Transporting Passengers & Materials, Blowing up stuff, Whistle, Catching Bunnies, etc...) +2 Tons of secrets, mini-games, and some incredible "Zelda" moments +2 Puzzles are very challenging especially in the central dungeon. +1 Soundtrack is great -1 Sometimes touch controls doesn't work quite well -1 A lot of obligatory microphone use -1 You get bored from to much train travelling Expand
  55. MorganW
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you love Zelda games, then this game is a must buy. It feels as though Nintendo took the criticism of Phantom Hourglass and crafted a game that fixed all the problems. Spirit Tracks is a charming Zelda game and will be enjoyed by Zelda aficionados of all ages.
  56. EricC
    Dec 9, 2009
    Saying this is a remake of Phantom Hourglass is like saying The Two Towers is a remake of Fellowship of the Ring. Great game, but train travel can get a little old at times.
  57. NilsB
    Dec 9, 2009
    The dungeons are much better then in Phantom Hourglass. It is one of the best games of this year!!
  58. EliK
    Dec 9, 2009
    Vast improvement over the last DS outing, however it suffers from too much of the same, both in it's predessesor and previous series's entries. A bit on the easy side also. Still, a polished and incredibly fun game nonetheless.
  59. RubZG
    Dec 8, 2009
    An amazing an extremely fun game. The train is so fun an the graphics incredible for a DS game. A DS must buy.
  60. NiteshM
    Dec 7, 2009
    The most unique Zelda game to date. I have to admit that I was quite skeptical going in but deciding to pick this game up has been a very rewarding decision. Although slightly tedious at times, Spirit Tracks is miles ahead of its predecessor, and contains some of the hands-down most unique and creative puzzles that I have ever seen in a Zelda game, or any action-adventure game for that The most unique Zelda game to date. I have to admit that I was quite skeptical going in but deciding to pick this game up has been a very rewarding decision. Although slightly tedious at times, Spirit Tracks is miles ahead of its predecessor, and contains some of the hands-down most unique and creative puzzles that I have ever seen in a Zelda game, or any action-adventure game for that matter. With a huge amount of content, a game like this is a must buy for any Nintendo fan or a fan of puzzlers or action adventure games. Expand
  61. DaveH
    Dec 7, 2009
    It is basically a remake of Phantom Hourglass, the previous Zelda DS game, it is not worth buying if you're over 12.
  62. BrendanK
    Dec 7, 2009
    A great game filled with challenging puzzles.
  63. LuísC
    Dec 7, 2009
    One of the best in the entire series. Definitely worth buying.
  64. Oct 21, 2012

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#2 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Edge Magazine
    Spirit Tracks' aging tricks continue to carry you cack into the narcotic realms of pure ritual, until you're deep in the caverns yet again, holding the magic yellow boomerang once more, and wondering what quirky brilliance it will bring with it this time. [Christmas 2009, p.92]
  2. Not a huge leap forward for the series but a wonderful game nonetheless. Enjoy. [Christmas 2009, p.91]
  3. A superb quest that doesn't rewrite the rules but delivers another engrossing Zelda adventure. If you own a DS, buy it.