Yoshi's Island DS DS

7.4

1. Mar 1, 2016
    I can honestly say that Yoshi's Island DS is one of the best games I have ever played.
    It takes many of its core mechanics from the original Yoshi's Island on SNES, an excellent game, which should not be seen as a bad thing as many of the borrowed features are perfectly integrated and make the Yoshi's Island series unique. The idea of having to collect all of the red coins, power flowers and 30 stars to achieve a perfect score, for example, works perfectly and gives this game replayability, so why change it? The main new addition is the diffeerent babies, each of whom have a special power, for example Baby Mario allows Yoshi to run faster, while Baby Peach allows him to float using wind currents. This can lead to some interesting level designs, though perhaps could have been used in more ways, such as to solve puzzles.
    The best thing about this game is probably the difficulty. It is challenging, with levels taking several tries to complete, especially if you are searching for secrets, but this only gives you more satisfaction when you beat the level, and to a much larger degree, when you score 100 points by collecting everything. The secret and extra levels offer a new level of difficulty along with brilliant level design. The game's one flaw is the soundtrack, which can be repetitive and dull, though not annoying or ruinous in any way.
    It may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer this game over the original. One of the best games on DS, and one I would definitely recommend.
  2. Apr 13, 2015
    While this game may have given some people the nostalgic feeling of the original Yoshi's Island game, this game leaves a sour taste in my mouth. While the first game was fun and appealing, the DS version left me bored and unsatisfied. Instead of having to deal with one annoying baby crying, now we have to endure several, although each baby having it's each different ability is a nice touchWhile this game may have given some people the nostalgic feeling of the original Yoshi's Island game, this game leaves a sour taste in my mouth. While the first game was fun and appealing, the DS version left me bored and unsatisfied. Instead of having to deal with one annoying baby crying, now we have to endure several, although each baby having it's each different ability is a nice touch of originality. The rest of the game, however, is a step in the wrong direction for the Yoshi's Island line. Expand
  3. May 11, 2014
    Amazing game. A trully great sequel to one of the greatest platformer of all time. Every aspects of the game amaze me, except for the minigames and the difficulty spike. Ughhhhh........
  4. Apr 24, 2014
    Why is this game being reviewd as better than the 3DS Yoshi game? This game was pretty bad on the DS. A lot of the levels and puzzles are taken completely from the SNES original. Using Baby Donkey Kong to climb vines was pretty interesting and at least different. Switching the babies is very annoying and slows the pace of the gameplay. This game is offensively mediocre.
  5. Dec 15, 2013
    Game: Yoshi's Island DS
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Artoon/Nintendo System: Nintendo DS (NDS) Total Score: 92/100 Value Score: 9.2/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 9/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 7/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +A decent storyline fit for the game +Great colors and effects +Plays like
    Game: Yoshi's Island DS
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Artoon/Nintendo
    System: Nintendo DS (NDS)
    Total Score: 92/100

• Music: 9/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 7/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +A decent storyline fit for the game
    +Great colors and effects
    +Plays like the original Yoshi's Island
    +Different babies give you different abilities thus giving you different ways to finish levels
    +A lot of exploration added to the depth of the levels
    +Greater challenge for those who want the challenge

Cons
    -The dual screen sometimes makes the game annoying at times due to the fact that some jumps force Yoshi to move screen which can sometimes lead you elsewhere other than planned at times.
    -Difficulty can become tedious at times especially near end game.
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    It's a good game. The interaction of the DS screens is very well made, perfect. The problems, is the music, which is less than the SNES version, and the and the care of the design phase.
  7. Feb 16, 2013
    This game left fond memories of my childhood. It is one of those adorable games certainly suited for hardcore gamers. Everything is solidly made with a heart, it is the best remake of a classic game that is ported to a handheld which is rare. By far, the best DS game I've ever played.
  8. Jul 29, 2011
    I was impressed how good the DS showed the cuteness of the graphics of Yoshi's Island. Level design paces well everything , interesting settings, nice story . For a DS or 3DS is a most own.
  9. May 26, 2011
    Colorful, cartoony graphics and new infants that Yoshi can carry along, this game is fun mainly for the quality of the game and the Museum mode, which keeps track of the various types of enemies you murdered with eggs.
  10. MarcGingras
    Mar 11, 2008
    One of my biggest deceptions on DS so far. It feels the same as Yoshi's Island on SNES, but behind the cute graphics and music hide some extremely lacking level design. Especially the last levels, they're not hard or challenging, they're simply frustrating. I remember dying over and over again in the same levels with more than 70 lives in stock. The whole baby-switchingOne of my biggest deceptions on DS so far. It feels the same as Yoshi's Island on SNES, but behind the cute graphics and music hide some extremely lacking level design. Especially the last levels, they're not hard or challenging, they're simply frustrating. I remember dying over and over again in the same levels with more than 70 lives in stock. The whole baby-switching aspect is interesting at first, but after a few minutes it feels gimmicky and it doesnt fit that well in the game. I don't recommend it. Expand
  11. SamanthaF.
    Aug 24, 2007
    I love this game! I truly recommend it to kids, and adults! You will truly hove your true gaming experience with this game.
  12. Ben
    Jun 4, 2007
    It's a great game! It's not too hard and not too easy, so provides a nice challenge the whole way through. Only game that's kept my attention long enough to even come close to beating.
  13. MeganH.
    May 14, 2007
    really fun and imaganitive. But quite hard on the the 3rd and 4th level.
  14. ShereeC.
    Feb 28, 2007
    If you like any of the Mario Bros games, you'll love this. Great fun.
  15. AndrewC.
    Feb 13, 2007
    I am a HUGE fan of the original game, but I'm not so big on this one. Why? Well, for one, it's so similar that it hardly feels different at all. Second, the bosses are kind of boring and the levels too huge to be interesting. Lastly, the difficulty level is brutal. Don't underestimate it due to its cute visuals - if you want to find all the secrets, or just pass the game, I am a HUGE fan of the original game, but I'm not so big on this one. Why? Well, for one, it's so similar that it hardly feels different at all. Second, the bosses are kind of boring and the levels too huge to be interesting. Lastly, the difficulty level is brutal. Don't underestimate it due to its cute visuals - if you want to find all the secrets, or just pass the game, it's going to take a lot of frustrating moments. It isn't fun challenging, it's annoying hard. That's why I don't like it. Expand
  16. ASibal
    Jan 26, 2007
    This is my first DS game (as I got a DS lite just recently) and I can say it's a good way to motivate me to simply buy some more DS games. It's a great game in its own right but then the sailor-stream-profanities I seem to blurt out is inversely proportional to the saccharine graphics. Mind you, it's a perfectionist's nightmare, but at least you get lots of fun while This is my first DS game (as I got a DS lite just recently) and I can say it's a good way to motivate me to simply buy some more DS games. It's a great game in its own right but then the sailor-stream-profanities I seem to blurt out is inversely proportional to the saccharine graphics. Mind you, it's a perfectionist's nightmare, but at least you get lots of fun while you're at it. Expand
  17. KevinR.
    Jan 7, 2007
    A good game that, despite sharing many similarities to its predecessor, just does not quite capture its charm.
  18. TonyG.
    Nov 14, 2006
    Classic classic classic! If you are a fan of 2D, this is a must buy. I am having a great time with this game. i definitly know it is better than the original. Game is definitely best of the year so far. Nintendo wins this year with a crazy amount of innovative games new to the industry, keeping it cool and fresh for the old school and the new school alike... first the DS, now the WII, Classic classic classic! If you are a fan of 2D, this is a must buy. I am having a great time with this game. i definitly know it is better than the original. Game is definitely best of the year so far. Nintendo wins this year with a crazy amount of innovative games new to the industry, keeping it cool and fresh for the old school and the new school alike... first the DS, now the WII, nintendo is taking back the crown! well diserved for a company who built this industy. hats off, 2 thumbs up, 3 cheers and 3 snaps in a circle! Go out and get this game now. hard earned cash very well spent! Next game to get ... Castlevania POR Expand
  19. May 11, 2014

#14 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#10 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. Twists, such as the ability to play with different attributes thanks to Baby Mario, Baby Princess Peach, Baby DK, and more add variety to an extremely fun adventure. Through 40-plus levels, vibrant graphics and lively environments make things feel fresh and unique.
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    It's an adequate platformer, yes--with solid controls and great first-half pacing--but I'd never choose this over the sublime original. [Dec. 2006, p.150
    Fun and light-hearted play. A tongue of praise to Yoshi's Island 2 for not only remaining true to the classical style but also adding new elements to keep things fresh.