Golden Sun Game Boy Advance

9.1

1. Aug 28, 2012
    Simply put... this game is amazing. The story, the characters, the emotion involved all stand out in this RPG. I first played this game as a child many years ago. I'm now a college graduate and I still enjoy the game to this day. The thing that I love the most about the Golden Sun series is the story involved. As you play the game, the lives of these characters unravel before yourSimply put... this game is amazing. The story, the characters, the emotion involved all stand out in this RPG. I first played this game as a child many years ago. I'm now a college graduate and I still enjoy the game to this day. The thing that I love the most about the Golden Sun series is the story involved. As you play the game, the lives of these characters unravel before your eyes. Emotion can also be involved while playing. Heartbreak from a character's loss of family to determination in hopes of a better future of the world; it's all woven within this game. Aside from the story, the gameplay is actually great! As usual with any RPG, you get random battles in dungeons and on the world maps and you progress more and more in levels and skills until you are strong enough to take on your foes without fail. There are a large amount of items and gear in the game to keep players occupied with upgrading.

There is a collection aspect to the game involving these creatures called Djinns. These creatures boost the abilities and power of the characters in which they are attached to. They can be swapped between characters to allow for further combinations of abilities. As characters use the Djinns in battle, powerful summons can be used to take out foes once a certain number of Djinns have been used in combat. These summons are learned or found throughout the game.

The graphics in this game are fantastic for a gameboy advance title. Everything from the environments to the battles to the summoning cutscenes are all great to look at while playing. I remember when this game was first released. I was in awe at some of the graphical effects in this game. The music in the game is some of the best I have ever heard in a portable title. I find myself just sitting in a particular battle or environment just to listen to the music and themes that play. There is a special mode that allows you to listen to all of the music in the game when you enter the arena mode at the title screen (look it up to find out how to find it). The point is that you may love the music so much that you will want to just listen to it at times.

Overall, this game is a classic in my opinion. The quality of this game is obvious. I can only hope for a remake of this title one day with modern-style graphics. It could possibly become more appealing to those who don't like Golden Sun in its current state...
  2. BenW.
    Aug 8, 2005
    A great game but you need to have lots of time and patience because once you start you won't be able to stop!
  3. AndrewC
    Jan 3, 2010
    That Ryan kid is an idiot, he syas it is too much like pokemon, well thats like saying every RPG is like pokemon. In fact I've never seen an RPG less like pokemon. The gameplay for this game was incredible, the puzzles were challenging, the battles didn't get boring and had a great story line. The graphics were amazing for the GBA and the Djinni summons looked amazing. I am That Ryan kid is an idiot, he syas it is too much like pokemon, well thats like saying every RPG is like pokemon. In fact I've never seen an RPG less like pokemon. The gameplay for this game was incredible, the puzzles were challenging, the battles didn't get boring and had a great story line. The graphics were amazing for the GBA and the Djinni summons looked amazing. I am really glad there is going to be a new one on DS and I'll be one of the first to buy it. Also, this game had some of the best music ever, Final Fantasy doesn't even compare to this game. Expand
  4. Keele
    Jan 7, 2010
    Michael, you're also an idiot. I've played such spectacular games and rpgs, such as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, most of the Final Fantasy games and many more. Even so, Golden Sun was/is brilliant. It's graphics, for it's time of release, are exceptional (I don't know what the hell you're going on about with ''CHEEZY''). It had a great Michael, you're also an idiot. I've played such spectacular games and rpgs, such as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, most of the Final Fantasy games and many more. Even so, Golden Sun was/is brilliant. It's graphics, for it's time of release, are exceptional (I don't know what the hell you're going on about with ''CHEEZY''). It had a great captivating storyline. Good gameplay. Fun puzzles. Awesome tunes. I'm unsure that we've both played the same game, or that you've actually played the game at all. Expand
  5. Jul 18, 2012
    I have played the Tales of the World series, the Final Fantasy series and Dragon's Quest series, but none of them came close to comparison with the Golden Sun series.
    A memorable storyline and cast alongside impressive soundtracks for the period of release and a story crafted with pure perfection makes this one of the greatest Game Boy Advance games to exist. The same goes for its sequel.
  6. E}I{
    Mar 14, 2006
    Golden Sun - Most Boring jRPG. Pros: Very good graphics(but many particle effects look cheesy). puzzles are nice, but I've seen most of them already. Cons: Music is too boring. Not memorable at all. Backgrounds look like they are ripped from many SNES RPGs, they lack some distinct style. Storyline is full of cliche. Stupid and predictable. Tons of text, but most of it is absolutely Golden Sun - Most Boring jRPG. Pros: Very good graphics(but many particle effects look cheesy). puzzles are nice, but I've seen most of them already. Cons: Music is too boring. Not memorable at all. Backgrounds look like they are ripped from many SNES RPGs, they lack some distinct style. Storyline is full of cliche. Stupid and predictable. Tons of text, but most of it is absolutely pointless and its quality can make any intellegent being cry. Characters are extremely generic and underdeveloped. Battle system is not balanced at all. It's too easy to greet enemies with barrage of highest level summons that cost nothing. Expand
  7. R.Thomas
    Aug 14, 2006
    Over-rated. I was expecting a game that was 1. harder 2. longer 3. just plain more interesting when i killed the big boss, which only realy took me a few trys, i was surprised that i had finnished it. Once i had, and saved the game i discovered that you cant go back and collect the things you missed, snd there was no reason for this. Overall, i'm still waiting for a decent RPG on the GBA.
  8. Apr 4, 2011
    If there was ever a game more bland and lifeless than Golden Sun...

Let's go back to the beginning. I saw some GS ads in a magazine or something, and thought it looked great. Mainly, I was impressed with the graphics, but I just assumed the rest of the game would have the same quality. Then I got the game. Now, it starts off with some cliche garbage I can't even remember because it was
    If there was ever a game more bland and lifeless than Golden Sun...

Then I got the game. Now, it starts off with some cliche garbage I can't even remember because it was so uninspired. I went on for a while, going through some generic dungeons with generic "puzzles", oh and I did all this while fighting random, generic enemies.

Now the battle? This is the worst part. It's much like Dragon Quest, without any of those "features" or "abilities". All you do is pick a spell out of maybe 5 that are practically identical anyway, repeat 5-20 times and you win. I've played a few mindless RPGs before, but this one just pushes the limits of boredom to their maximum. If you absolutely hate having fun with a burning passion, get this game.
  9. MichaelD
    Jan 3, 2009
    OK but not great or spectacular or worthy of a 10. I feel bad for all the poor little children here who havent played spectacular games likes Chrono Trigger, or even any Final Fantasy Games. Dear people, throw that gba out the window, go buy yourself a Gamecube and a copy of Tales of Symphonia, and experience what a real rpg is like. Cheezy graphics dont make a game, especially for a OK but not great or spectacular or worthy of a 10. I feel bad for all the poor little children here who havent played spectacular games likes Chrono Trigger, or even any Final Fantasy Games. Dear people, throw that gba out the window, go buy yourself a Gamecube and a copy of Tales of Symphonia, and experience what a real rpg is like. Cheezy graphics dont make a game, especially for a system whose focus is on gameplay and storyline. Hey with all the respectable games for GBA like the strategy games Fire Emblem (not sacred stones) and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance why waste your time with this garbage? Well, at least it is better than Pokemon. Expand
  10. ZackO.
    Jul 29, 2003
  11. Rathexeron
    Jan 16, 2004
    This is an absolutely great game, and even better when played along side with Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Definately go out and buy it if you haven't already!
  12. MikeM.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Good Game-Could Be Better :D
  13. Ryan
    Nov 26, 2003
    I'll give this game props for graphics, but other than that, it's pretty much just a cheap Pokemon knock-off. Don't waste your money!
  14. Whay
    Nov 15, 2004
    This was my first game i ever bought for GBA and also my first RPG and it rocked so bad i love this game i heard the 3rd one is going to be on GameCube.
  15. MitchellB.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Easily the best portable RPG ever, and arguably one of the best RPGs on any system, ever.
  16. PaulR.
    Jun 27, 2005
    Awesome game, truly one of the best rpgs on any system.
  17. JoeyF.
    Apr 2, 2007
    The main thing you have to remember about this game is the fact that it has 2 parts. The whole game consists of 2 cartridges. So as some would say "the first one was short and stupid" clearly have not played them back to back. There's enough hidden Djinni, Artifact weapons, and Djinn combos, you have some of the same control as final fantasy 7. The integration of the 2 parties in the The main thing you have to remember about this game is the fact that it has 2 parts. The whole game consists of 2 cartridges. So as some would say "the first one was short and stupid" clearly have not played them back to back. There's enough hidden Djinni, Artifact weapons, and Djinn combos, you have some of the same control as final fantasy 7. The integration of the 2 parties in the Lost Age, and the story development was second to none. It's one of those games that make you hate the bad guys, then love them. Expand
  18. ChrisG.
    Feb 8, 2003
    This is the best RPG on the GBA so far. It's a long quest mixed with wonderful characters, puzzles and great battles. The only slight downside is the story isn't at the quality of the Final Fantasy games.
  19. BasRules
    May 10, 2003
    It's a perfect game. I think it is the best RPG on the the GBA so far.
  20. Sungirl
    May 11, 2003
    I love this game! Too bad I still haven't finished it....
  21. AnaM.
    Sep 2, 2005
    Golden Sun is fantastic.
  22. DerekB.
    Sep 7, 2006
    Best game ever on gba and addicting play it again.
  23. RobinO.
    Sep 20, 2002
    Best RPG for GBA sofar. I would call this a console type Puzzle RPG :)
  24. JoeM.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Ryan is a total idiot this game rocked.
  25. EFI
    Oct 22, 2003
    I'm spanish, and this game is the best in the world, and Golden Sun: the lost age, too is the best game!!!!
  26. KenE.
    May 4, 2004
    Easily the best rpg to hit a handheld game system. The game is a true showcase title in graphics and sound. There is room for improvement though. Sometimes conversations are too lengthy and it's not possible to immediately skip the whole conversation. Also, during fight sequences your characters do not by default go to the next enemy if the one you targeted for the character to kill Easily the best rpg to hit a handheld game system. The game is a true showcase title in graphics and sound. There is room for improvement though. Sometimes conversations are too lengthy and it's not possible to immediately skip the whole conversation. Also, during fight sequences your characters do not by default go to the next enemy if the one you targeted for the character to kill is killled by another one of your party mbr's. Other than that it's a worthy title to have in your GBA collection. Expand
  27. BrianB.
    Feb 3, 2005
    I was getting really tired of crappy RPG's for the advance. All this changed when i picked up this game used. The rating I want to give it is a 13 out of 10 but thats not possible. And to whoever gave this a 9 the reason why it doesnt atoumatic target is for the random number generated drops.
  28. Meneil
    Jun 12, 2005
    Golden Sun was the best game I've ever played. The graphics were beautiful. The battle system was unbelievable. The songs were addicting. The characters were unforgettable, and the storyline was phenomenal. Golden Sun I and II combined the old-style rpgs with a wonderful new twist, giving it a very unique appearance and game play. I love these two games; however, I would highly Golden Sun was the best game I've ever played. The graphics were beautiful. The battle system was unbelievable. The songs were addicting. The characters were unforgettable, and the storyline was phenomenal. Golden Sun I and II combined the old-style rpgs with a wonderful new twist, giving it a very unique appearance and game play. I love these two games; however, I would highly suggest playing I before II. Most of the storyline will be lost if someone just jumps into II without knowing the first one. If you don't have Golden Sun, go out and get it! Unless you dislike rpgs, this will be a wonderful game. ^^ Just gotta wait for the third one... Expand
  29. RulerofGames
    Jun 29, 2005
    Zack (shown here) should get further in games before making comments. You can go back, and you'll want too. An amazing Game. "Zack O. gave it a 3: I dont see wjhat is so special about this game !!! it was boring and stupid, and the rpg action was repetative. all the djinn crap was too corny and complicated, and once you get past the mogall forset, you cant go back to get things that Zack (shown here) should get further in games before making comments. You can go back, and you'll want too. An amazing Game. "Zack O. gave it a 3: I dont see wjhat is so special about this game !!! it was boring and stupid, and the rpg action was repetative. all the djinn crap was too corny and complicated, and once you get past the mogall forset, you cant go back to get things that you may have missed!!!! a total waste of cash" Expand

#1 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared Game Boy Advance Game of 2001

1. Hard-core RPG fans may feel the game is too derivative, to a certain extent it is, but for the rest of us Golden Sun is both a fantastic game and a nice trip down memory lane.
  2. GMR Magazine
    A deep combat engine and brilliant graphics make this the best RPG available on the GBA. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  3. As one of the most critical Nintendo fans around, it's nice to see a game come out for the GBA that's original, pretty, fun, and doesn't involve any one of their stupid mascots.