Animal Crossing GameCube

8.9

1. WyattW.
    Oct 1, 2002
    Great, one that will take forever to get old. A MUST BUY!
  2. Feb 11, 2012
    I was never disappointed by the game. It took a year of waiting for the DS version to come out to get old. The game thrust me into colorful characters, events, and randomness. It was an amazing experience and I love the customization. The newer games are great, but the originals are always the best as they introduce the true meaning of the series.
  3. AlyssaT.
    Jan 3, 2003
    This game is so... cool!!
  4. SpongebobSquarepants
    Mar 20, 2003
    This is the most awesome (if slightly girly) game u can get! Give yourself a stupid name!Decorate your houz with sofas, tvs, toilets, plants and 100s more! Donate fossils to the museum! Write nasty letters! The possibilities are endless...
  5. Michael
    Aug 6, 2003
    I disagree with the people that gave this game a low score. I think it is fun and entertaining. A must have for younger Gamecube owners.
  6. GothGal
    Jun 9, 2005
    Absolutely the BEST!!! Even for teens its pretty kool.
  7. Catlyn
    Jan 28, 2007
    This game is one addictive game, even my mom plays it like crazy. Plus young kids can play it without parents having to worry. The worst that could happen would be someone making fun of you for getting stung by a bee. Ha ha thats why it's a bad idea to shake trees.
  8. JeffT.
    Nov 13, 2002
    It was highly addictive. I thouroly enjoyed the game play. Nintendo hit a good one. The only real problem I had with it was the crummy graphics.
  9. TamaraK.
    Oct 4, 2002
    This is the most addictive, and fun game I think I have ever played. I actually bought my Gamecube JUST for this game. I know of at least one other person who has done the same thing after playing it for a few days.
  10. DanielM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Worth the wait, better than real life.
  11. RyanM.
    Feb 20, 2004
    In this strange, unique, gamecube title lies a ton of innovation which will keep you occupied for years...literally. But that's if you can get past the unbelievable cuteness and awful graphics. This game has elements of fun, but how long will it last until you get bored of writing letters to chickens and pulling out weeds?
  12. MylesC.
    May 3, 2004
    It's simple. This game kicks some major butt. Like some have mentioned, it can get somewhat slow at points and maybe even seem repetative. OK, to "Axel" and. Why would you compare it to other GCN games? Do you do that to cars? Do all other cars suck because the Ferrai Enzo rules? Huh? Punk! And to "[Anonymous]". You obviously haven't taken the time to play the game and see what It's simple. This game kicks some major butt. Like some have mentioned, it can get somewhat slow at points and maybe even seem repetative. OK, to "Axel" and. Why would you compare it to other GCN games? Do you do that to cars? Do all other cars suck because the Ferrai Enzo rules? Huh? Punk! And to "[Anonymous]". You obviously haven't taken the time to play the game and see what it has to offer have you? Anyways, I'm no trying to be a Donkey either, I just think this game needs some credit. :D Awesome game! Collapse
  13. JohnH.
    Nov 1, 2005
    One of the best games i eva played EVA.
  14. DemonicAngel
    Apr 4, 2005
    For a game with last-gen graphics and sound, no challenge factor, no possible end and a horrendous cuteness factor, Animal Crossing is possibly one of the most addictive games I've ever played. Your aim is basically just to enjoy your life in a small town populated by animals. You can run errands for the other townsfolk ,work at the local shop, go fishing, catch butterflies and For a game with last-gen graphics and sound, no challenge factor, no possible end and a horrendous cuteness factor, Animal Crossing is possibly one of the most addictive games I've ever played. Your aim is basically just to enjoy your life in a small town populated by animals. You can run errands for the other townsfolk ,work at the local shop, go fishing, catch butterflies and insects, dig up treasure, plant trees, buy new furniture and decorations for your house, write and recieve letters... it's all very simple, and you probably shouldn't play for more than an hour or so at a time (ideally several times a day), but it all works brilliantly. Seriously, the sense of joy when I caught my first fish was amazing. If you're put off by any of the factors I mentioned initially, then Animal Crossing isn't for you. Otherwise, by at all costs! Highly recommended. Expand
  15. Brandon
    Jun 15, 2005
    Animal crossing is the bomb you go fishing buy furniture live your life and its addictive.
  16. C.S.
    Jul 7, 2005
    We rented this game for our six year old. We ended up buying it. She loves the cute animals, their funny names, their quirks. She loves the fishing and digging for treasure and decorating the house. She's really started to grasp the concept of money and value and trading. She's learned to write letters and the joy that comes from receiving them and has even been inspired to We rented this game for our six year old. We ended up buying it. She loves the cute animals, their funny names, their quirks. She loves the fishing and digging for treasure and decorating the house. She's really started to grasp the concept of money and value and trading. She's learned to write letters and the joy that comes from receiving them and has even been inspired to write real letters to our faraway family members. I love the game because it's nonviolent and gives us a chance to talk about and learn social skills. I highly recommend it. Expand
  17. Rasher
    Mar 2, 2007
    If I had gotten this before I bought AC:WW for the DS, this would been a 10 easy. BUT, it's just such a hassle to write a letter to the museum EVERY time you find a fossil, and 90% of the time, it turns out that you've donated it already. And I know that this is almost 5 years old, but the graphics are TERRIBLE sometimes (Faces, Ground, etc...). On the good side, the soundtrack If I had gotten this before I bought AC:WW for the DS, this would been a 10 easy. BUT, it's just such a hassle to write a letter to the museum EVERY time you find a fossil, and 90% of the time, it turns out that you've donated it already. And I know that this is almost 5 years old, but the graphics are TERRIBLE sometimes (Faces, Ground, etc...). On the good side, the soundtrack is great for this (almost) 8-bit game. And being able to get old NES games is great. Why pay 5 bucks for Excitebike on Virtual Console when you could just buy AC for 20, and get 5-10 NES games, plus a gigantic main game mode? This game is so very underrated, but it is very important for Nintendo. AC:WW is the second best game I have ever played, and it wouldn't have gotten here without this one. Can't wait for it to come out on the Wii. Expand
  18. Isaac
    Nov 1, 2002
    I bought the Gamecube just to play this game. It takes a page from the Sims.
  19. KrisL.
    Sep 22, 2002
    At first I thought this game had to be the stupids game ever but When i started to do stuff i wouldnt put the controller down. it starts off kinda slow but you want to keep adding and adding to your house. i do agree that you need other people to play with you and the graphics are kinda cheap but who cares its a fun game? If i was you i would go out and buy this game.
    Sep 24, 2002
    Best game in the world!!!
  21. Dan
    Sep 25, 2002
    How can one rate "Animal Crossing," which Nintendo ambiguously describes as a "communication game"? The play involves wandering around in a real-time, sugar-sweet virtual environment, doing such things as digging for fossils, fishing, catching insects and performing good deeds for the anthropomorphic animal inhabitants, who seem to never return the stuff that they borrow from each other. How can one rate "Animal Crossing," which Nintendo ambiguously describes as a "communication game"? The play involves wandering around in a real-time, sugar-sweet virtual environment, doing such things as digging for fossils, fishing, catching insects and performing good deeds for the anthropomorphic animal inhabitants, who seem to never return the stuff that they borrow from each other. Along the way, you collect clothes and items to decorate your abode, as well as money to buy expansions for your house and more stuff for the decor -- including old-school Nintendo games. Oh, and you send a receive lots of letters. But all this is so oddly compelling that "Animal Crossing" must be regarded as a masterwork. That is, if the open-ended game play leads one to revisit the virtual world on every opportunity, something must be very, very right. Don't let the graphics or "Hello Kitty" ambience mislead you: "Animal Crossing" will rank as one of the best games of 2002 and will be regarded in the years to come as a defining moment in console gaming. Expand
  22. AlliM.
    Jan 13, 2003
    It's the best game ever!
  23. KenH.
    Oct 14, 2003
    At first sight, this game may seem a little.... well..... But, as you start playing the game, you realize it's incredible, it's not really challenging, but it still is awesome.
  24. CarrollA.
    May 7, 2003
    What Barbara B. and the rest said. This game is so addictive, I'm drawn to it hours each day. It must be the collectors mentality in me. The only negative is the repetitive dialog one must go through, although the 'B' button helps speed the process. Highly recommended for young children. It helps in learning about polite human relations and responsibilites in the real What Barbara B. and the rest said. This game is so addictive, I'm drawn to it hours each day. It must be the collectors mentality in me. The only negative is the repetitive dialog one must go through, although the 'B' button helps speed the process. Highly recommended for young children. It helps in learning about polite human relations and responsibilites in the real world. Plus, it's funny. Expand
  25. EricL.
    Apr 29, 2004
    Fun game if you have time to play a little every day.
  26. LaurenA.
    May 13, 2004
    This is one of the most fun video games I have played in a long time. Highly addictive, and fun. The animals are super cute, and as things in the game change each day, you'll end up playing every day. My only complaint is that it takes forever to write letters with the joystick typewriter.
  27. DJ
    Jan 30, 2005
    Great game to pass time! Obviously a game that really doesn't have a real ending which makes for a great pick up and play title.
  28. SeanM.
    Oct 29, 2006
    This game is one of the greatest gamecube games. The cutness and the E ratings make it seem 6 year old material, but its addicting and fun to go through for a long time.
  29. FrankS.
    Jul 16, 2006
    First and only realtime best game ever.
  30. Chris
    Jun 23, 2008
    This game is THE single most addicting game ever made. I would play this for hours and hours. I caught all 40 fish and 38 bugs (I could never seem to find those snails and bagworms) also I got the golden shovel and axe (plus the golden fishing rod) Oh, the golden fishing rod does NOT make fish go directly to the bobber! it just makes you catch rare fish more often! I couldn't decide This game is THE single most addicting game ever made. I would play this for hours and hours. I caught all 40 fish and 38 bugs (I could never seem to find those snails and bagworms) also I got the golden shovel and axe (plus the golden fishing rod) Oh, the golden fishing rod does NOT make fish go directly to the bobber! it just makes you catch rare fish more often! I couldn't decide to give this game a 9 or 10, but I give it a 10 because it's so addicting and there's so much to do, with endless gameplay! too bad I lost my memory card. Expand
  31. AlexS.
    Nov 10, 2002
    The game is very involving, making the user take part in his/hers towns events. Which vary from simple things like holidays, all the way to tournaments. The graphics of the game are very much like a popup book, and give the game a childish feel to it. My only problem is with the characters. They are there purely to obtain small trinkets, which can be bought for less than you can get outta The game is very involving, making the user take part in his/hers towns events. Which vary from simple things like holidays, all the way to tournaments. The graphics of the game are very much like a popup book, and give the game a childish feel to it. My only problem is with the characters. They are there purely to obtain small trinkets, which can be bought for less than you can get outta any nearby tree! Also, they lack any feeling. If someone takes a couple of weeks to get something back for you, from about three acres away, you won't be too happy. I must admit, nintendo did outdo themselves after Animal Crossing's Japanese counterpart, and the gameplay is very entertaining. But after you expand your house to full capacity, there's really nothing else besides the decoration and layout of your $500 000 mansion. All in all, the game doesn't get very in depth or vey realistic, but because of the gameplay alone, it gets my rating. Expand
  32. KeatonS.
    Nov 14, 2002
    This is a really cool game!!!
  33. JoshuaA.
    Nov 20, 2002
    Extremely addictive and involving. This game relies on your freedom and living out on your own, while living a conventional life. Unlike Harvest Moon, you don't have to work and work and work, you get to do whatever you want, whenever you want. This game has gotten my whole family addicted, even my mother! EAch of them have their own memory card just for this game! Complete Extremely addictive and involving. This game relies on your freedom and living out on your own, while living a conventional life. Unlike Harvest Moon, you don't have to work and work and work, you get to do whatever you want, whenever you want. This game has gotten my whole family addicted, even my mother! EAch of them have their own memory card just for this game! Complete satisfaction, nonetheless, and contains great humor! Expand
  34. NickW.
    Oct 25, 2002
    If I could I would rate this game a twenty. Animal Crossing is a little bit like the sims but even better.
  35. WillyP.
    Dec 8, 2002
    Man this was truly awesome. i cant believe it.THIS DEFINES GREATNESS, UNIQUENESS,and FREEDOM! I recommend every thing about to every one.
  36. BrandonS.
    Sep 26, 2002
    The best game i ever played.
  37. RachelP.
    Jan 13, 2003
    GREAT game at first but once i payed off the final upgrade to my house i kinda got bored...ran out of things to do.
  38. AndrewC.
    Feb 18, 2003
    This game rocks! Who cares about graphics? Whoever does can jump in a lake! I get my own place to do what I want with! Who would'nt want a T-rex skull in the middle of your room?
  39. RyanG.
    Apr 23, 2003
    One of the best games Addicting, fun and fun. The best simulation ever in the world!!!
  40. BarbaraB.
    Apr 26, 2003
    This is a great family game - No Violence!!! Chopping down trees, planting flowers, shopping, house decorating, collecting music, special events, fishing, chatting with neighbors, writing letters - it is fun and never-ending!
  41. Uter
    Jun 28, 2003
    I've never played a more addictive game. There's so much to do, and plenty of time to do it. The non competitive atmosphere is refreshing. Many people seem to complain about the graphics and sound but I really like both. The graphics have a distinctive style, and everything is very clear (and fun). Plus the sound and music are quite variable. There are too many neat songs to I've never played a more addictive game. There's so much to do, and plenty of time to do it. The non competitive atmosphere is refreshing. Many people seem to complain about the graphics and sound but I really like both. The graphics have a distinctive style, and everything is very clear (and fun). Plus the sound and music are quite variable. There are too many neat songs to count. One final note is that I wouldn't really compare it to the Sims though many people mention that. The only thing that's the same is that you are in a virtual community. Personally I didn't much care for the sims. Expand
  42. HeatherM.
    May 27, 2004
    Its Ok if they move because you always get new animals. Treat them good and always save.
  43. JenniferR.
    Nov 17, 2002
    This game is so addictive for the whole family, me & my two daughters haven't put the controller down since I got it 4 days ago! Every morning our first thought is 'what's going on at animal crossin today?' It's been quite some time since we've all agreed upon a game. Today I had to go buy the GBA adapter & the e-reader... We're hooked!
  44. Nov 15, 2010
    Honestly my husband was begging me to play and i always told him not yet or not now then suddenly one day i played and i figured out this game it's very real and exciting, you don't have any idea how much make me sit and play for hours.This is the GAME you need to play and share it with your kids. i give this game 10
  45. Dec 4, 2010
    This was the game that made me want a Gamecube. I played it for quite a while (like, a few hundred hours over the course of two years), and even now occasionally play it a bit. No, there isn't a storyline, and yes, the graphics and sound are simplistic and weird, but I loved the quirkiness. Some people will, and others really will not.

Either way, I actually have memories from this game:

Either way, I actually have memories from this game: certain events and accomplishments, like when I paid off my house. A few things could be better, but it's sad to think that there really isn't anything new for it after a certain point. If there were something like episodes, or updates that varied the game ever so slightly every now and then, that would be amazing.

The only negative, really, was that it ended. Sounds corny, but my opinion. Also, this game got me into ragtime music. lol
  46. Apr 18, 2011
    Animal Crossing is a life simulation phenomenon -- and one the most addictive Gamecube titles to date. Pros: Unlimited amounts of gameplay and secrets; rich, colorful visuals; accessible NES titles. Cons: Multi-player and accessories are required to access a lot of the bonus features; unimpressive graphics and audio; too time consuming for selected gamers.
  47. Mar 9, 2011
    Animal Crossing is still one of the most unique and charming games of the past decade. The amount of things to do, the real-time aspect, the overall design and the great collection portion wraps into a very addicting package. The graphics may not be fantastic or anything, but it fits the atmosphere of the game and fits it very well. If you have not yet tried it out, I suggest doing so soon.
  48. May 20, 2011
    With a ton of variety and depth in gameplay, Animal Crossing is a life simulation phenomenon that some gamers are STILL playing. Pros: Addictive and seemingly limitless gameplay; rich, colorful visuals; variety of things to do and items to collect; charming characters; lots of extras/secrets; additional NES games. Cons: Requires a GBA, link cable, and at least one friend to uncover allWith a ton of variety and depth in gameplay, Animal Crossing is a life simulation phenomenon that some gamers are STILL playing. Pros: Addictive and seemingly limitless gameplay; rich, colorful visuals; variety of things to do and items to collect; charming characters; lots of extras/secrets; additional NES games. Cons: Requires a GBA, link cable, and at least one friend to uncover all extras/secrets; dull graphics. Expand
  49. Jan 17, 2012
    Must try. The cuteness, the NES games you can collect and play, the furniture, and the trading. Animal crossing kept me hooked for a solid 6 months back in '05. Great game. Fishing, planting trees, all becomes so addicting.
  50. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is very entertaining and very cute! Each time I play I feel the excitement I felt from the first time playing. One thing I don't like about the game is how they promote the Game Boy Advance and increased playing. The game is fun for everyone; even my mom wanted to play. The soundtrack is by far the coolest soundtrack I've ever heard on a video game. The characters are neverThis game is very entertaining and very cute! Each time I play I feel the excitement I felt from the first time playing. One thing I don't like about the game is how they promote the Game Boy Advance and increased playing. The game is fun for everyone; even my mom wanted to play. The soundtrack is by far the coolest soundtrack I've ever heard on a video game. The characters are never boring so it's really just one of the most fun games I've ever played. Expand
  51. Jan 19, 2013
    A charming game for the GameCube, Animal Crossing offers addicting gameplay elements, a wonderful setting, and lovable characters to create a relaxing escape into a world where you are free to roam.
  52. Mar 25, 2013
    Whether it was catching a rare fish, designing new clothes, digging up new fossils, or planting an orchard of foreign fruit, this game never ran out of things to do. Just don't take a long rendezvous from the game or *sob* all your old neighbors may move away, and you'll have a lot of weeds to pull. 8/10
  53. Jul 6, 2013
    Animal Crossing seems to have gotten some controversy over not being the same old COD-styled nonsense that everyone seems to hail as the best game ever. I'm generalising a bit, but it's accurate than anything else.

First up, the good: It's a welcome break, and it's a game that works to your own pace. There's enough to do, and more importantly, there is no end. You could play forever, getting you and your town into all kinds of entanglements and then getting them back out of it. Plus, it's the only game I know of for the 'cube that allows you to get stung by bees.

Now, the bad. The Real Time Clock (RTC) is a bit of a pain in the bum, and the fact that it takes real time to do anything is annoying. Of course, you could time travel, and I don't mean the kind that the TARDIS does. However, that can really mess stuff up if you're not careful.

If you're looking for a decent, casual game to break the monotony of the MMS games out there, then it might be worth your time searching for a second-hand copy of the game, or failing that, one of the other titles in the series.
  54. Aug 5, 2013
    Besides been the first life simulation other than the Sims that I have played. Animal Crossing was really enjoyable, the town you live in is really innocent, the towns people have emotions like actual people. The goal of the game is simple, the whole game is just trying to collect bugs, fish, fossils, and paintings that are all around your town. Things you collect go to the Museum firstBesides been the first life simulation other than the Sims that I have played. Animal Crossing was really enjoyable, the town you live in is really innocent, the towns people have emotions like actual people. The goal of the game is simple, the whole game is just trying to collect bugs, fish, fossils, and paintings that are all around your town. Things you collect go to the Museum first and anything you have left over goes to tom nook who runs a town shop. Tom nook is who gives your house upgrades and tools that you can use for cutting down trees, fishing and a net for bug catching. The game also has a lot of events that happen through out the year, also the real world and the in game time are both the same. They will have forth of July parties, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any other holidays you can think off. The game has a lot to give, with more than one hundred hours of game play this game is worth a look at. Expand
  55. Apr 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Animal Crossing is one of my fav animal crossing games on Nintendo Gamecube it right there close with it brothers Animal Crossing: City Folk, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf,
    then again it my fav nintendo series other then other games they do, :)
  56. Jun 27, 2014
    How could you not give this game a good rating? It was so amazing and going back and looking at it again brings back so many memories of watching my brothers play. I do remember that there wasn't a bank and storages could only hold 3 items so my brother would leave his money on the floor of his house and I would secretly go in and steal it to pay off my house.
  57. Jun 9, 2016
    This is my favorite game besides sonic adventure 2. The graphics look adorable and it has a charm that no animal crossing can never have. Not even new leaf. The game aged 100% well and probably the best aging game ever created. It's my favorite nintendo series and I recommend you buying it. You'll be addicted to animal crossing once you play.

#6 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#10 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

1. AceGamez
    While kids will love the bright and colourful characters and graphics, adults will love the subtle nuances of collecting, decorating, Feng Shui, natural history lessons and sheer delight of pleasures as simple as catching a huge bass in the nearby river.
  2. GMR Magazine
    The game that never ends... So why is it so much fun to play? [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. It's easy to see why everyone in Europe was importing this from the US; there is simply nothing else like it.