9.4

1. 4DI
    Nov 13, 2012
    an atmospheric and revolutionary game that surpasses every other game within the survival horror genre ti'll this day.
    My only complaint about RE4 is the lack of a quick select for weapons and items.(instead of pausing for the inventory)
    but it's all because of the gamecube controller's limitations.
    so
  2. Dec 30, 2010
    this is one of the few games that surpased the hype it had . i knew it was gona be great but wow not this damn great . this game was the only reason i bought a Gamecube and it was money well spent. the controls are solid and no more bad camera angles as it switches to the 3rd person mode . a great gun slection with upgradable guns . the action is top notch i mean i was grining ear to earthis is one of the few games that surpased the hype it had . i knew it was gona be great but wow not this damn great . this game was the only reason i bought a Gamecube and it was money well spent. the controls are solid and no more bad camera angles as it switches to the 3rd person mode . a great gun slection with upgradable guns . the action is top notch i mean i was grining ear to ear playing this game . i must have beatin this game around 100x since the day it came out and i will still pop it in from time to time and play it again. the boss fights simply put are EPIC and some of the best in gaming history . the only down side to this game is story wise its abit holey i felt some things like krouser and his past with leon where not explained well at all and the puzzle set up was way way easy it took no brains to figure them out. still though the thrill ride this game provides is second to none. Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2014
    Best resident evil I've played. Action, suspense and thrilling scares and excitement all the way. Gritty and immersive, even the OTT bosses fights fit this amazingly atmospheric world that Capcom have built. Play this.
  4. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  5. MeNotU
    Nov 14, 2006
    Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control style and bring back zombies and you'll have a winner. Expand
  6. Billy
    Jan 23, 2005
    Great graphics and story, but way to easy. What happend to hard games that took a long time to beat? This took me only 20 hours. Almost simplistic puzzles that don't really make the game feel like it should even be in the RE series. Cool game, but best game ever? not even close.
  7. TeuT.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Fun action, gameplay feels somewhat restricted, story is lame duck, not sure what some people are smoking.
  8. Nov 30, 2013
    I know It's late to review this, but screw it: RE4 is both considered the "last" good resident evil, or the "first" fail in the franchise.

In my opinion, this is a great merge from both the original series and a new style, and simply because it has still the atmosphere of the first games, but without being too sluggish on the movement. Sure, it's more action packed and that wasn't what RE was about, but the monsters, the atmosphere, and the feeling was STILL similar to the original RE.

Few examples are the monsters, which are still some of the most scary and also varied monsters in the game (the Regeneradores are the creepiest ever), with maybe the ganados being not the usual sluggish zombie, but an intelligent one that can also use weapons...well the solution already came up: they are not zombies, but real people infected with the virus, and the fact that they can use weapons also means a bigger threat. Luckily they aren't the only monsters, or it would have been far worse, but they were creepy, very dangerous and, unlike zombies, they could easily reach you through ladders, doors, windows, everywhere.

Zombies wouldn't do that...except maybe a few (RE1?)

Second: the game has still a RE feel, and by feel I mean it's dark, dirty, gorey and very "gothic" in a way, and still gives you the impression of being trapped despite being in a very large village (if anything, only RE1 managed to get the dark and gothic feeling, while RE2 and RE3 tend to be more modern but gorey). Infact, newest installments fails on that because they don't use the same atmosphere (RE5 is set IN THE LIGHT, while RE6 is too modern, and also more action packed).

RE was about atmosphere, music, gore...and also tons of jumpscares: RE4 managed most of these components and added more action and more freedom of movement.

This is where a lot complain but, if I have to be honest, it feels good to be able to move more freely and to aim your shots.

I admit, I love the limited movements of the original games, but they were still pretty limited and frustrating, especially since most of the time you're supposed to be a soldier/cop, yet being unable to even aim your shots was kinda silly and so unnatural, and just aiming "up or down" wasn't enough(without mentioning being unable to move while aiming...although RE4 does that still).

In here, you actually got to aim specific parts and some enemies require aiming to be killed or some specific tactic that involve aiming in some parts (the previously mentioned Regeneradores are one) and it felt much more intringuing and involving like that. I'll still love how the original way is done, mostly for nostalgia moments, but RE4 still did some good improvements on the movements (minus some obvious exceptions).

In my opinion, this is the melting pot of the old and new RE: the old for its gothic (or just dark) atmosphere, and the new for better movements, more freedom of exploration, better controls and less constraints.

Of course I won't agree with some of the changes (being able to get ammo easily, selling stuff and etc), but I still think this is probably the last new/old RE we will ever get, as the newer games are going more for more action and less atmopshere.

Haters are gonna hate, but I think it's worth a check (maybe on other consoles, but this is the version I have).
  9. Nov 14, 2011
    A Masterpiece in gaming , Capcom I salute you for this amazing game.I have never been through a 1 player game so many times , Would love something like this to turn up again with a new look, story and multiplayer online.but nevermind i can safely say this hasn't been beaten yet in my honest opinnion:) Bar zelda ofcourse ,ocarina of time :) 10/10
  10. Oct 18, 2013
    a masterpiece of the resident evil franchise
    a masterpiece of nintendo and capcom
    an innovative game of action and survival horror
    an excellent gameplay,an exciting story and the best...
    a brave hero
    LEON KENNEDY FOR SMASH BROS!!!!
  11. Feb 16, 2014
    Easily the last greatest RE title to have ever been created. However, this was the game that put the series in the wrong direction...

The gameplay is excellent and more action oriented which is a drawback IMO. RE should not be an action game...ever...BUT they managed to pull it off in a balanced way, so I can applaud their honest effort. However, the story was really weak... I found

However, the story was really weak... I found myself enjoying the atmosphere and the creepiness and the oldschool gaming vibe. To elaborate, I've finished the game and I realised there was absolutely no story, no interesting plot or twists...nothing to connect you to the characters emotionally like in RE1,2,3.
    Or I would have given this game at least a 9/10...

If Capcom returned to this formula, and remove all action elements or at least tone it down to RE4's level. They would be back in business!

I absolutely enjoyed the bosses, they truly felt epic but like mentionned, they were empty and had no background or compelling story at all.

Make a good RE game: focus on the story/characters, reduce action, augment creepiness.

All in all this game does deserve praise.. You can tell Shinji Mikami was definately part of the game development... you feel the quality and love. As opposed to the new "tae bo/ infomercial" RE5,6 call of duty shooter.
    You young generations have no clue what makes a good game.... Capcom thanks for turning your back on your LOYAL fans who supported the series.
  12. NewFaceofRev
    Feb 13, 2009
    Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, but how anyone got to grips with the controls just baffles me. The hardest part of the first 30 minutes of gameplay was trying to make Leon move through a door! Surprisingly it seems to be a common complaint but i'm always told "If you just overlook the controls the game is AMAZING" well sorry but I can't overlook the controls, that's the one thing I can't overlook, the controls ARE the game. Most enemy encounters can be handled by alerting the enemy to your wherabouts as soon as you enter the area by firing your gun to get their attention, and then picking them off as they come towards you in single file. Apparantly this is playing the game wrong as most people I watch play this simply charge into the enemy any then claim it's scary when they become surrounded, well of course it is, but your not MEANT to let the bad guys surround you. Despite the camera shift Leon still seems to move like he did in the old Resident Evil games which is hardly a good thing. The story is quite good in comparison to other Horror games, the voice acting is competant and the sound design is actually masterful. Honestly there is very little I can say against the production values of this game, it really does seem like a labour of love from capcom that the game seems so polished. You will probably enjoy this game immensly, but for an old school gamer like me, the fact that it's so clunky and unweildy to move around, aim your gun and generally interact with the environment is a major turn-off. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea. This is my girlfriends favourite game of all time, and somehow she takes it as personally offensive that I don't share her love of it. Then again she doesn't get what I see in Bioshock so perhaps we aren't very compatible. Expand
  13. Dec 12, 2012
    J'ai adoré cet épisode; j'y rejoue encore de temps à autre et il est encore aujourd'hui excellent. Un must have que ce soit sur PS2 ou GC/wii surtout qu'il est possible de l'avoir a petit prix; bref foncez.
  14. WilliamG.
    Feb 6, 2007
    I can't for the life of me understand what everybody felt was so hypnotic and atmospheric about this supposed "Resident Evil" game. It's about as generic as a shooter comes, spruced up with some nice graphics. After thirty minutes of shooting everything that moved, picking up bullets, kicking open a door and repeating, I realized this game would get really old, really fast. I I can't for the life of me understand what everybody felt was so hypnotic and atmospheric about this supposed "Resident Evil" game. It's about as generic as a shooter comes, spruced up with some nice graphics. After thirty minutes of shooting everything that moved, picking up bullets, kicking open a door and repeating, I realized this game would get really old, really fast. I wasn't wrong. By half way through the second disc, I couldn't wait to see the credits roll so that I could get back to the Resident Evil remake, which actually has tense and scary bits. I didn't jump or cringe once throughout the entire Resident Evil 4 experience. I'd like to know how Resident Evil: Dead Aim and Devil May Cry could receive such average opinions from gamers, whot at the same time, praise this title as a gift from God, Himself. It's exactly the same premise as the aforementioned two, complete with ridiculous plot, pathetic puzzles (Which sword goes where!?) and weapons upgrades, using money instead of orbs. I'm glad so many people loved this game so much, but personally, I feel that it's a shame to see that Resident Evil has spiraled from a completely unique, atmospheric and thought-provoking experience, to just another brainless shooter amongst a myriad of other brainless shooters. Give me Half-Life 2 over this anyday, at least it's fun and even remotely scary. Expand
  15. PippinB.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Why can a highly-trained government agent do all sorts of martial arts and crazy flips when fighting one guy in a cut scene, yet only be able to stand still and shoot when a group is chasing him down during the actual game? Even if taking out all the puzzles and turning Resident Evil into a pure action game was a good idea (it wasn't), why keep the sluggish tank controls? He Why can a highly-trained government agent do all sorts of martial arts and crazy flips when fighting one guy in a cut scene, yet only be able to stand still and shoot when a group is chasing him down during the actual game? Even if taking out all the puzzles and turning Resident Evil into a pure action game was a good idea (it wasn't), why keep the sluggish tank controls? He can't even RELOAD while moving! Fortunately for Leon, this game is so mind-numbingly linear that his limited moveset is all you need. This game is basically a shooting gallery, but with Spanish townsfolk instead of ducks. Expand
  16. LeroyB.
    Jan 10, 2005
    It's such a step in the wrong direction compared to the trail set in RE2.
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a really fun game.......... ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

NOT
  18. Brett
    Jan 22, 2006
    I think that this game was horrible no offense butjust look the camera angles are horrible,dont know y its over the shoulder,u hardly get any ammo adn there are no other game modes other then story mode, horrible game movie was alright but the game sucked.
  19. Sep 20, 2011
    THE best action game of all-time. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  20. Jun 28, 2011
    By far the best RES game to date, so much better than RES 5. A gripping and horrifying game that will keep you guessing to the end, crazy boss fights and graphics that astounded everyone at the time. Lots of guns to collect and upgrade. The new camera scheme is a great change to the series. One of the best game on the console, BUT the controls are a little awkward like you cant run andBy far the best RES game to date, so much better than RES 5. A gripping and horrifying game that will keep you guessing to the end, crazy boss fights and graphics that astounded everyone at the time. Lots of guns to collect and upgrade. The new camera scheme is a great change to the series. One of the best game on the console, BUT the controls are a little awkward like you cant run and shoot or reload while running but overall a great game. Expand
  21. Jun 9, 2013
    Six years after the tragedy of Raccoon City Leon Kennedy is tasked with leading a top secret government mission to rescue the President's daughter from a remote location somewhere in Europe.

The first thing players will notice is that this latest instalment in the highly regarded survival horror franchise takes the series away from its roots. The zombies of previous games are gone and replaced with an all together more dangerous foe. The pre-rendered cut scenes and backgrounds have also been removed. Everything now uses the in game graphics, thus making for a more seamless and immersive experience.
    The pacing of the game is set right from the start. Following a brief cinematic intro Leon is attacked by an axe wielding figure and then trapped inside a building by a village mob intent on tearing him limb from limb. These quicker, more intelligent enemies induce a greater feeling of panic and fear than virtually anything else in the Resident Evil franchise so far. Of course the usual scares still associated with the series are still present with all manner of twisted creatures lurking in the dark ready to jump out on you.

With gun play a more important aspect of the game Capcom have also seen fit to evolve the traditional control scheme in order to help defeat these new enemies. Controlling Leon can still be awkward at times but providing the player with an over the shoulder view and the ability to aim in first person in order to target individual body parts are much needed additions.

Overall Resident Evil 4 proves to be a much needed and successful revamp of a series that had started to become a little stale and will hopefully encourage more developers to be a little more creative with their long running franchises.
  22. May 27, 2011
    Ever changing environment, a unique storage system, and REAL action commands, RE4 has definitely been a trademark to horror games now. This game is surprisingly forgiving to even new players getting into RE (including me) when you first start off, as most would say you can die easily when playing the RE series.
  23. Feb 28, 2013
    As a survival game with an intense atmosphere and great graphics, the moment you put RE 4 in the console it sucks you in and let you forget time and space.
  24. Aug 27, 2011
    I don't know why but I prefer the Raccoon city games. This game is great though. Played so many times, just loved it like the previous RE. I can't wait to play RE5 on ps3!
  25. Sep 10, 2011
    Resident Evil has never been a franchise I've been that interested in, except for this one, since I'd been seeing it on so many best games of the decade and GameCube lists so i got it a game store for 5 bucks and got home played it, and is now one of the best games I've ever played
  26. Jan 21, 2012
    I've completed this game 3 times since it first came out, and each time has been thoroughly enjoyable. See, it's one of those games that is so deep, so diverse in its environments, that you enjoy something new about it each time through. I remember the first time playing it thinking..ok...I bet it's about to end, only for it to continue on chapter after chapter. That's a good thingI've completed this game 3 times since it first came out, and each time has been thoroughly enjoyable. See, it's one of those games that is so deep, so diverse in its environments, that you enjoy something new about it each time through. I remember the first time playing it thinking..ok...I bet it's about to end, only for it to continue on chapter after chapter. That's a good thing because this is a great game!

The graphics are amazing for 2005 on the gamecube. The environments, as mentioned previously, are incredibly diverse. One scene you're outdoors in a rundown village and the next you're fighting your way through an enormous stone castle. It's a nice mix of creepy survival horror and traditional RE-style turret (stop and shoot) 3rd person shooter. There's plenty to kill alright, but you also have a fair share of puzzles to solve. I gave this a 10 but would, given the opportunity, score it a 9.8. Why shave the .2 points? Cheapness. As in, you are guaranteed to DIE a few times due surprise button-mashing combo sequences you don't see coming. First time thru without a walkthrough telling you what's coming up? Prepared to be frustrated a bit by this--and resign yourself to some cheap deaths. Outside of that, it should be a fun ride.
  27. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games of all time. Controls: I've noticed a lot of people complain about tank controls... well if the game didn't have tank controls it wouldn't be as scary, is operation raccoon city/ re6 scary? Horror: The game isn't completely horror but it has quite a few moments that satisfy. Regenerators, iron maidens, garradors, novistadors, most boss fights, those enemiesOne of the best games of all time. Controls: I've noticed a lot of people complain about tank controls... well if the game didn't have tank controls it wouldn't be as scary, is operation raccoon city/ re6 scary? Horror: The game isn't completely horror but it has quite a few moments that satisfy. Regenerators, iron maidens, garradors, novistadors, most boss fights, those enemies really do the job. On the other hand there are action moments, like the fight with krauser. These moments, even though they weren't horror, were really fun. Gameplay: The best thing about this game is the use of environments to take out enemies and the use of environments the enemies use to take you out. For example, you use ladders, doors, and explosive barrels on most enemies and bosses. On the other hand the enemies place bear traps in dark places, behind something to jump over, in tall grass, or in sand, they use high ground, they use giant boulders, etc. Speaking of boulders, QTE. This game is the perfect example of when it is appropriate to use QTE. QTE are used in CUTSCENES, and used sparingly in gameplay. The AI. A lot of people give Ashley crap, but her AI is better than any AI I have ever seen, maybe because her job is simple, but that's a good thing, whenever designers feel the need to add people to the combat aspect of gameplay, they fail. There are many examples of this across gaming. Halo ODST has invincible allies, sheva in re5 is a failure, the AI in re6 is a failure, it ruins the fun. Ashley will do exactly what you want to her do, hide, follow, wait. And that is all you need from her. She is an unarmed person, she can't fight, her role in the game is for YOU to protect her and if you complain about her dying then you just aren't playing the game good enough!

This game is quite possibly my favorite game of all time. It most definitely makes top 5.
  28. Aug 12, 2012
    I feel that this game has moved away from the survival horror genre with this game. Its because of this game that i actually became interested in survival horror and have loved this series as well as the Silent Hill series. Anyway the game is really good on its own. The story has started fresh in my opinion by moving away from zombies and introducing new types of enemies. the gameplayI feel that this game has moved away from the survival horror genre with this game. Its because of this game that i actually became interested in survival horror and have loved this series as well as the Silent Hill series. Anyway the game is really good on its own. The story has started fresh in my opinion by moving away from zombies and introducing new types of enemies. the gameplay itself is really good. The new laser aim is a nice addition but i believe it takes away from the horror element of the game. Besides there are way to many weapons in the game and too much ammo to be considered a survival horror game in my opinion. The graphics are nice but i think that they could have done a little better. The game does get boring on replays mostly because you know what to expect and you know what lurks behind every corner. I believe its with this game that Resident Evil started to drift away from survival horror and lean towards more action/shooter styles. Anyway this is a great game to play and own if you have been a Resident Evil fan since the beginning or are new to the series. Expand
  29. Sep 13, 2012
    One of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Survival horror at its very best. I must have beaten this one 50 times between all the systems and replays. The replayability is amazing with new game+. I enjoyed every playthrough of this game. I'm not sure how to explain it but the game is just fun every time. The first time through it also manages to be scary at certain parts due to theOne of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Survival horror at its very best. I must have beaten this one 50 times between all the systems and replays. The replayability is amazing with new game+. I enjoyed every playthrough of this game. I'm not sure how to explain it but the game is just fun every time. The first time through it also manages to be scary at certain parts due to the setting and the fear that you may not be able to handle the next group of enemies. If you keep replaying it you can go through with overpowered weapons and it becomes fun in a different way, more like an action game, its almost an entirely different experience on newgame+. All around AMAZING game, one of the best ever made of any genre. If you havent played it pick up RE4HD on 360 or PS3 market place, or pick up an old copy for whatever system you have lying around. Expand
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    honestly whoever gives this game anything lower than a seven is obviously blind when it comes to seeing what a great game is. this is one of the best games i have ever played.
  31. Mar 25, 2013
    While I have also played the PS2 & XBLA versions, I will review it based on the first version I played on the Gamecube. This game is the reason I bought a Gamecube. It was a step in the right direction a nd a very bold movie from Capcom. The action is good, the graphics are great, voice acting is fantastic (mostly.) RE4 manages to adapt a new approach and still remain loyal to it'SWhile I have also played the PS2 & XBLA versions, I will review it based on the first version I played on the Gamecube. This game is the reason I bought a Gamecube. It was a step in the right direction a nd a very bold movie from Capcom. The action is good, the graphics are great, voice acting is fantastic (mostly.) RE4 manages to adapt a new approach and still remain loyal to it'S survival horror roots. A truly remarkable game that is only slightly marred by annoying QTEs. But these aren't too often and do add a little to the atmosphere. Ashley is annoying as a companion and really only serves as a plot device. But she is likable at least. Overall: RE4 is a great game that marks the turning point in the franchise (and the genre as a whole.) Expand
  32. Jun 26, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 was the rebirth and re imagining of a aging franchise. The controls are tight, the graphics are stunning even to this day, and the gameplay is addictive. It really is a spectacular game, full of excellent boss fights, a chilling atmosphere, and a pretty decent story (although the quick time events suck). It's definitely one of the best games on the GameCube. This game is aResident Evil 4 was the rebirth and re imagining of a aging franchise. The controls are tight, the graphics are stunning even to this day, and the gameplay is addictive. It really is a spectacular game, full of excellent boss fights, a chilling atmosphere, and a pretty decent story (although the quick time events suck). It's definitely one of the best games on the GameCube. This game is a bit overrated, but it's definitely worth your time.

9.4/10
  33. Jun 9, 2013
    Great premise, creative creature design, memorable deaths, creepy atmosphere and incredibly fun, precise mechanics, Resident Evil 4 was where Capcom took a risk with IP to only prevail, expanding survival horror into an area once thought of as incompatible: action. The potential for this to be a misstep was enormous, as exhibited with Resident Evil 6 the most in a sad copy of RE4'sGreat premise, creative creature design, memorable deaths, creepy atmosphere and incredibly fun, precise mechanics, Resident Evil 4 was where Capcom took a risk with IP to only prevail, expanding survival horror into an area once thought of as incompatible: action. The potential for this to be a misstep was enormous, as exhibited with Resident Evil 6 the most in a sad copy of RE4's success, but RE6 revolutionized the new field where it emerged, action, along with propelled the whole of survival horror into a new dimension of playability. Expand
  34. Mar 11, 2013
    This game flawlessly redefined the genre without straying too far from its survival horror roots. When I look back at my childhood, this is definitely one of the games I instantly think about. There's such a great atmosphere, and it proves to be genuinely scary. The fact that you have a liability the entire time just makes the game that much harder and more enjoyable.
  35. Jul 9, 2014
    STILL, my favorite game of all time all these years later! I still turn on my old Gamecube just to play it. Incredible game, simply unbeatable. Any gamer who hasn't played this yet shouldn't consider themselves a gamer.
  36. Jul 22, 2014
    A well made game. Sadly it is the only good resident evil. But anyway the gameplay is good and intense and the story is also good and the boss fights are memorable.
  37. Dec 9, 2014
    I don't know where to start. RE4 disappointed me. I don't know know why many idiots out there says it's the best survival horror game. Re4 was NEVER in a million years a survival horror game. RE 4 is the reason why the series is in a bad shape nowadays. The game was so action oriented. It introduced many things shouldn't have been introduced like:
    _it turned into a third person shooter
    _it turned into a third person shooter game (doesn't have a dynamic camera angles like RE 0- CV).
    _There are no puzzles, and the game relied only on shooting, killing enemies, and the weapons have so many ammos (like COD).
    _It introduced Quick Time Events (no need for it).
    _enemies dropping items like ammos and money (why the hell is that?) this is one of the main reasons why it's not a survival horror game.

Besides, It has a crappy story that didn't feel it belongs to re universe and because of that I think it was better be off a spin off or perhaps it should have another name.

Shinji Mikami went to the wrong direction with this game. He blamed the poor sales of Re remake on it, and thats why he made it an action game. Well, if he was smart enough, he would have made ps2, and xbox version of re remake, and this way the sales would had been improved, and he would have to turn re4 into an action game, and the series wouldn't have turned into a disaster.

Utterly disappointed. If you have a deep love for the survival horror genre. I recommend you not to pick this game up and praised it the wrong way like most critics did.
  38. GregM.
    Feb 3, 2005
    A stunning foray into a violent landscape where the typical and cliched enemies have been thrown out the window, to be replaced by ax and sickle wielding peasantfolk, all of whom hate you, and a group of mongering cult-members that murmur indecipherables as they crawl forward. By far the best game I have ever played on any console--it is, in parts, genuinely scary. The only significant A stunning foray into a violent landscape where the typical and cliched enemies have been thrown out the window, to be replaced by ax and sickle wielding peasantfolk, all of whom hate you, and a group of mongering cult-members that murmur indecipherables as they crawl forward. By far the best game I have ever played on any console--it is, in parts, genuinely scary. The only significant drawback is the writing, which is at times excruciatingly bad. Expand
  39. AthrunZ.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Bought it the day it was released and never stop playing it.
  40. AdamD.
    Mar 2, 2005
    Raises the bar in horror games.
  41. ShaunS.
    Apr 17, 2005
    If you buy this game you'll be sh.t scared.
  42. MatthewD.
    May 20, 2005
    This game was by far one of the best gamecube games i have played, I just recently picked up a gamecube and since i have loved almost every resident evil i decided to play through number 4 as well, to my surprise it was different and totally new and original. The idea of smart somewhat zombie characters that use some tactics to take your character out while you run form them like a madmanThis game was by far one of the best gamecube games i have played, I just recently picked up a gamecube and since i have loved almost every resident evil i decided to play through number 4 as well, to my surprise it was different and totally new and original. The idea of smart somewhat zombie characters that use some tactics to take your character out while you run form them like a madman was such a thrill to me. The boss fights were alot of fun and the extras after you beat the game are alot of fun as well, mercenaries mode was so annoying due to the fact that they keep coming, if you blink you get your head chopped off by chainsaw hags lol hehe. Of course like any other game there are graphical flaws, only minor and nothing to worry about but i did notice them, kinda funny actually. I sure hope capcom brings out a new resident evil soon or in the not to far distant future with the same gameplay elements and a brandnew story line of course that deals with leon again saving something from someone or a co-op mode for increased fun and playability lol Expand
  43. BrendanO.
    Mar 25, 2006
    This game kicks vombie-creature-BUTT!!! It's the best console game out and it rocks! Seriously, the reply value is incredible. You can beat the game over and over and it never gets boring. You just have a blast pumping 100s of rounds into those....well...creatures. It's just a heck of a riot! BUY THIS GAME...it's the most fun you'll have on any console!
  44. TarikT.
    Jan 16, 2005
    The only bad thing about this game was the last cutscene. I would give it a 9.7 if it had that score on the reader review.
  45. WeskerC.
    Jan 23, 2005
    New, good and advance gameplay style which is attractive and never disapoint to RE fans.
  46. RayS.
    Oct 27, 2005
    This game is the best resident evil ever. I don't think that there was one bad thing in it. I have to say this is the best horror/adventure game ever made. I think that it beats Halo 1 and 2. Nothing has ever been made so nice and beautiful as this. Thank you capcom for making such an adicting and wonderful game.
  47. ChrisS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Quite astounding, and almost certainly the best game on GameCube. A non-stop thrill ride of epic proportions. A giant stride forwards for the survival-horror genre, and probably the best reinvention of an existing franchise ever seen. Up there with Halo and San Andreas as one of the defining moments of the current generation of consoles. Do not miss.
  48. MikeC.
    Oct 4, 2005
    It is the gretest resident evil game i've ever played
  49. EvanB.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Simply amazing. If you don't like gore, this is not the game for you. Otherwise, a masterpiece.
  50. DavidL.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Resident Evil 4 is the one game that can, and probably will, pull Nintendo back to the top.
  51. UematsuA.
    Feb 1, 2005
    CAPCOM's Resident Evil 4 has plenty to offer. First off, the story of the game. Leon S Kennedy is sent to Europe (somewhere in Spain), to rescue the president's daughter Ashley Gharam. In event, the villagers are acting strange. There are suprising characters. The return of Ada Wong, Krauser, Wesker... The game nearly takes 20 hours in your first round. After completing the CAPCOM's Resident Evil 4 has plenty to offer. First off, the story of the game. Leon S Kennedy is sent to Europe (somewhere in Spain), to rescue the president's daughter Ashley Gharam. In event, the villagers are acting strange. There are suprising characters. The return of Ada Wong, Krauser, Wesker... The game nearly takes 20 hours in your first round. After completing the game, you'll unlock two modes. Assignment Ada and The Merceneries. Great game. Expand
  52. RayU.
    Feb 2, 2005
    I think this is the most realisic Resident Evil game yet. It has all new features that many RE players have been wanting since the first one. The Story mode and the game interaction of the game itself is unbelieveable. The different ways your enemys manipulate and dodge bullets and other weapons makes RE4 that much more of the game we've been waiting for. Arguably the best game ever made.
  53. JoeP.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Best Resident Evil ever. With the new targeting it makes killing the zombies (well, they are not zombies) fun. The gameplay is 10 times funner and the game is not slow. You'll want to beat it in one seating. This is a must have.
  54. BanG.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This is easily my favorite game of this generation and it's very deep.
  55. Martin
    Mar 19, 2005
    Definitely top 3 best games I have ever played. Everything is great, the control, the graphics, the gameplay. Best game since Ocarina of Time, if not even better than that.
  56. TimS.
    Mar 28, 2005
    I thought this wus the best resident evil game out so far!!!!! graphics rule!
  57. BoboP.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Can't type for very long must play Resident Evil 4 ...
  58. DavidA.
    Mar 6, 2005
    Very cool, it stessed the hell out of me, I love the chainsaw guy in the beggining.I think there was no need to make it this bloody because some of the images are just nasty. But still in a way the blood adds a little more horror to the game. If you think this game sucks I think you need to see a doctor. I never thought there would be a game that was as good as the Prince of Persia Very cool, it stessed the hell out of me, I love the chainsaw guy in the beggining.I think there was no need to make it this bloody because some of the images are just nasty. But still in a way the blood adds a little more horror to the game. If you think this game sucks I think you need to see a doctor. I never thought there would be a game that was as good as the Prince of Persia collection but I was mistaken. Expand
  59. DarrenD.
    Mar 9, 2005
    I dont care what anyone say this game is better than halo 2 or gta san andreas.
  60. JustinS.
    Apr 4, 2005
    The this game was so amazing, the characters, the weapons, the levels, the bosses, and the items were all perfect, This is the best game of 2005, and even all time.
  61. JohnnieC.
    May 24, 2005
    This game is very good compaired to the other residentevils that there are I would say to the creators good job and keep up the good work and keep coming out with more and better resident evils for the madness never ends.
  62. EricM.
    May 3, 2005
    This is the best RE game i have played. I think all the changes made are for the best and hope there are future RE games that follow this game in every aspect.
  63. AliciaM.
    Jun 10, 2005
    This game was freakin' awesome. I jumped so much at the graphics and I wasn't even playing it!
  64. DanielF.
    Aug 8, 2005
    The graphics and cut-scenes are amazingly polished, and helps create a spooky atmosphere. Beter than Halo or GTA, and is fighting for Best Gamecube Game along with Metroid Prime!
  65. BrianR
    Sep 4, 2005
    This is the best game on the Gamecube BAR NONE, nothing is as overall spectacular as this game has proven to be. Way to go Capcom!
  66. DavidG.
    Mar 20, 2006
    I read about video games much more than I actually play them. The only system I own is the GameCube and I enjoy Puyo Pop from time to time. I had heard an awful lot about RE4, but was wary about spending $40 for a new copy of a game that's a year old. Thank god it came out at $20 last week. This is, quite honestly, the best adventure game I've ever played, taking that title from I read about video games much more than I actually play them. The only system I own is the GameCube and I enjoy Puyo Pop from time to time. I had heard an awful lot about RE4, but was wary about spending $40 for a new copy of a game that's a year old. Thank god it came out at $20 last week. This is, quite honestly, the best adventure game I've ever played, taking that title from Half-Life. In terms of atmosphere, graphics, sounds, and control, I can't think of a more immersive game. My only complaint is Ashley. I hate games where you have to protect someone, but she's kind of important to the storyline. A recommended must-buy. Expand
  67. JonnyB.
    Jun 15, 2006
    If I could I would give this game a 20. This is my favorite game ever made. I didn't really care much for the old Resident Evil games but this one is great. I wish that there was a co-op mode though, my friend and I are always looking for fun multiplayers on the Game Cube. The Game Cube version is better than the PS2 version even though the PS2 version has extra stuff. If you have a If I could I would give this game a 20. This is my favorite game ever made. I didn't really care much for the old Resident Evil games but this one is great. I wish that there was a co-op mode though, my friend and I are always looking for fun multiplayers on the Game Cube. The Game Cube version is better than the PS2 version even though the PS2 version has extra stuff. If you have a G Cube and you don't have this game, you might as well not have a G Cube. Beat the game and then beat assignment Ada and save your money for the Chicago Typwriter is is freakn awesome! Expand
  68. BryanS.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Sexy, secret, female agents. More blood than an abattoir. Absurd dialogue. Glaring cultural inaccuracies. Leon's funny hair-cut. Parasites that somehow find their hosts in empty suits of armor. Outrageous storyline. Absurd impracticalities like a GIANT animated statue of Salazar that can run and crush buildings. Every one of these excesses does nothing but enhance the experience that Sexy, secret, female agents. More blood than an abattoir. Absurd dialogue. Glaring cultural inaccuracies. Leon's funny hair-cut. Parasites that somehow find their hosts in empty suits of armor. Outrageous storyline. Absurd impracticalities like a GIANT animated statue of Salazar that can run and crush buildings. Every one of these excesses does nothing but enhance the experience that is Resident Evil 4. Truly an awesome game. I smiled the entire time. Expand
  69. DaveH
    Dec 7, 2009
    Seriously, a masterpiece. I have the admit the storyline is not the best thing about this game (rescuing the president's daughter?) but the gameplay and the graphics are awesome. The main character Leon Kennedy is unarguably one the best protagonists in video games, alongside with Master Chief and Link. I wish to write more about this game in this short review, but if I started Seriously, a masterpiece. I have the admit the storyline is not the best thing about this game (rescuing the president's daughter?) but the gameplay and the graphics are awesome. The main character Leon Kennedy is unarguably one the best protagonists in video games, alongside with Master Chief and Link. I wish to write more about this game in this short review, but if I started taking it seriously, I'd end up writing a Yottabyte of data. Expand
  70. Residentevilnutreisawsome
    Sep 5, 2009
    RE4 the best in its siris.Capcom really did it out with this one. I am really the biggest fan of resident evil. resident evil will live on. (like michal jackson did) go resident evil and go capcom!
  71. IsaacS.
    Dec 10, 2004
    Tried the demo! WAS AMAZING. This game is going to rock!
    Jan 11, 2005
    Me and my friend just played this for 6.5 straight hours, and i can say right now that it has more scares in that amount of time than any game i have ever played. This is without question one of the best games ever.
  73. AB
    Jan 11, 2005
    This game is an amazing experience that all gamers should enjoy. It is the best Resident Evil to date. All the problems with the franchise have been fixed: no more horrid camera angles, no more ridiculous controls, and the environments are fully rendered. This is the best game since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and is arguably as good as Halo 2.
  74. TheGoatKeeper
    Jan 12, 2005
    What is LeroyB talking about Willis? This game is a proven hit.
  75. LordSpencer
    Jan 12, 2005
    Simply put, the best thing to grace the human race.
  76. KevinF.
    Jan 13, 2005
    Finally a developer uses the full potential of the GC. I don't have the platitudes to praise this game enough. It is perfect. You will want to hit pause and bring people in off the street to show them this amazing cutscene or that in-engine accomplishment. All the complaints about controls and linearity are silly - if you could strafe, then the game would be less frantic and scary. Finally a developer uses the full potential of the GC. I don't have the platitudes to praise this game enough. It is perfect. You will want to hit pause and bring people in off the street to show them this amazing cutscene or that in-engine accomplishment. All the complaints about controls and linearity are silly - if you could strafe, then the game would be less frantic and scary. Oddly enough, the direction the game goes in is more H.P. Lovecraft than anything else, which is refreshing and fun! Buy a GC, it's finally hitting its stride. Expand
  77. BosephusM.
    Jan 13, 2005
    Not only does this game wow technically and fix many preexisting RE faults, but it still retains many aspects of RE we know and love and is more frightening/entertaining than any recent horror movie. I haven't played a videogame till the early morning hours (4 am) in a LONG time, but RE4 is just that damn good.
  78. Dan
    Jan 13, 2005
    There are not words within my heart of hearts to describe the genius of this game. Please, for the love of God buy this. Best game on the Gamecube. Actually competes with Half-Life 2 for best game ever struck on disc.
  79. EsaK.
    Nov 4, 2005
    Well it's the best GameCube game that I have played so far(I never finished Metroid Prime). Only game of the Resident Evil series that I have finished. Maybe the best game ever. Absolutely fantastic.
  80. DanB.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Best game ever.
  81. EricH.
    Jan 16, 2005
    The story line is great, graphics and sound is by far the best ever made. Resident Evil 4 will keep you on the edge of your seat for hours after you put down the controller.
  82. NickT.
    Jan 16, 2005
    I new that this game was going to be extremely enjoyable no matter what, but never did I think it would be THIS freaking amazing. It is the most fun I have had playing a game in a VERY long time and blows many other games (including the entire RE series) out of the water. It must be seen to be believed. The pacing, graphics, gameplay mechanics, and bosses are some of the best I have seen I new that this game was going to be extremely enjoyable no matter what, but never did I think it would be THIS freaking amazing. It is the most fun I have had playing a game in a VERY long time and blows many other games (including the entire RE series) out of the water. It must be seen to be believed. The pacing, graphics, gameplay mechanics, and bosses are some of the best I have seen in any game. I'd go as far to say that this is one of the best games of our console generation. It simply should not be missed. PLAY IT NOW!!! Expand
  83. TylerA.
    Nov 9, 2005
    This is the best GameCube game I have ever played. I got this game expecting it to be scary, it isn't but that was good because I was worried about how scary it would be. It has good sound, graphics, gameplay and Its difficult varies which is good. Better than Metroid Prime.
  84. JohnMalkovich
    Jan 21, 2005
    I cannot believe this game is this damn good, I hated the other Resident Evils! UNBELIAVABLE.
  85. ArmandoT.
    Jan 20, 2005
    The best resident evil so far.
  86. AngelDeJ.
    This game is Amazing!!!! Super Great!! Excellent graphics!! A+
  87. CanliC.
    Jan 23, 2005
    Greatest game that I've never seen until today. Very hard and very good.
  88. MalachiTheAngel
    Jan 24, 2005
    Wow! I was hoping RE4 would be good but I never expect it to be this good. Not only does it beat out RE2 as my favorite chapter in the series but it beats out every game released last year (shame it didn't come out two weeks earlier as it would have got GOTY) and every other 3rd person action game around. The gameplay is simply fantastic, taking the best parts of Resident Evil, The Wow! I was hoping RE4 would be good but I never expect it to be this good. Not only does it beat out RE2 as my favorite chapter in the series but it beats out every game released last year (shame it didn't come out two weeks earlier as it would have got GOTY) and every other 3rd person action game around. The gameplay is simply fantastic, taking the best parts of Resident Evil, The Devil May Cry, and Metal Gear Solid 3 and combining them to make some extrodinary. This even tops Ninja Gaiden, my previous choice for the best action game around. This is worth getting even if you've never like Resident Evil games. It's worth getting a Gamecube for. After all the un-inspired sequels of last year, we have something that far exceedes expectations. BUY IT! Expand
  89. SPANTO
    Jan 26, 2005
    I cant stop playing this game! This could be the game that can bring up cube sales. Anyone who considers themselves a gamers should own and FINISH this game!
  90. RyanB.
    Jan 20, 2005
    This is the best game ever. Leroy go... You dont have taste in games.
  91. TristanL.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Unbelievably good. So good I'm playing it non-stop and I'm a complete coward. Not far left now...
  92. Leafball
    Jan 4, 2005
    Umm what do you want? this re4 game will rock with better graphics than the ps2 version . This game is the best graphics game on the Gamecube so far! the demo rocks a lot i cant stop playing it!
  93. ChrisC.
    Feb 1, 2005
    This is the best and most intense action game I have ever played!
  94. StephenC.
    Feb 10, 2005
    This game deserves a perfect 10 as it kicks maximum ass jumping through windows kicking zombies in the face what more can you ask for oh yeah you cant forget the main piont of the iz da BIG GUNZ oh yeah can it get any better.
  95. JoseK.
    Feb 16, 2005
    este juego es muy bueno, pero lo que no mem gusta es la portada NTSC la PAL esta mucho mas guapa, eso americanos os pasa por tenerlo antes, jejeje. Pues nada espero que la gente se de cuenta que la GC es muy buena consola y esta desaprovechada por los usuarios. Pues nadaamigos americanos comprad mas Cubes, good bye
  96. dgfaking
    Feb 1, 2005
    Finally, Capcom has decided to change the RE formula and the results are phenomenal. No word other than "unbelievable" can be used for the graphics. They're just about as good as those of "Doom 3" and close to those of "Half-Life 2." But the gameplay is way better than "Doom 3," which depends on the environment for scare tactics. "Resident Evil 4" uses AI and good controls (in an RE Finally, Capcom has decided to change the RE formula and the results are phenomenal. No word other than "unbelievable" can be used for the graphics. They're just about as good as those of "Doom 3" and close to those of "Half-Life 2." But the gameplay is way better than "Doom 3," which depends on the environment for scare tactics. "Resident Evil 4" uses AI and good controls (in an RE game, are you getting this?), which results in a more fun, yet terrorizing experience. Also, the bosses are amazing. The first boss is more intense than last bosses in most other games. Additionaly, the sound is excellent. Hearing the sounds of the villagers and some of the enemies later in the game is chilling. This is the best game on GameCube, and one of the best games of all time. Expand
  97. DaveF.
    Feb 21, 2005
    One of the best games I ever played. Definitely my favourite of game of 2005 ... and probably for years to come. Silent Hill may be scarier but when it comes to gameplay, storytelling, graphics and all the other things that makes a game great this little gem blows the competition out of the water. If this means Capcom means by re-invented they may re-invent whatever they like in the One of the best games I ever played. Definitely my favourite of game of 2005 ... and probably for years to come. Silent Hill may be scarier but when it comes to gameplay, storytelling, graphics and all the other things that makes a game great this little gem blows the competition out of the water. If this means Capcom means by re-invented they may re-invent whatever they like in the future :-) Together with Eternal Darkness (also on Gamecube) this will go in history as the greatest survival adventure games ever made in my opinion. Expand
  98. KevinH.
    Feb 20, 2005
    What can be more fun than having your head chopped of from an insane, chainsaw-bearing villager?
  99. SebastianR.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Best game this year by far. people think that if the new zelda game comes out it will be the 2005 game of the year winner but there is no chance.
  100. LickerG.
    Feb 26, 2005
    The creator of the game damn! genuis this game is not ready yet to release in public it's a advance game this should be on 2007.

1. 10 / 9 / 9 / 10 - 38 platinum [Jan 2005]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is the tightest, most accessible game in the series and one of the best games out there.
  3. Magnificent. It's a terrific, if tardy, showcase for the GameCube, and it's every bit as worthy as the Halos, the GTAs, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form. (Happy Trails, GMR staff!) [Feb 2005]