Sonic Adventure 2 Battle GameCube

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 11, 2002
8.3

1. Nov 9, 2013
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is a great, awesome game. This RULES! I love my chao, the stages are awesome (and sometimes hard), the bosses are GREAT! Usually for a game, I'd hate the stages and love the bosses, but this game has good bosses AND stages.
  2. May 5, 2013
    An underrated game that should be praised by its storyline, graphics and gameplay, with the exclusion of camera, some glitches and the bugged treasure hunting systems.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    I found this game in a box in the attic and thought that I would try it out as the last time I played it way about 6 years ago. This game is the best sonic I have ever played and I have played my fair share. Its a really fun game for the younger the older generations so I would buy it if you can with a 2nd hand gamecube because it is worth it at the end of the day.
  4. JacobG.
    May 3, 2002
    This game is TIGHT! Best game on the cube. I like shadow he's awesome with those jet like roller skate thingys and his hair style. This game rocks.
  5. Liz
    Jul 5, 2005
    Camera angle sucks, and thats it for the bad parts.
  6. PeterR.
    Jun 4, 2002
    Just superb.
  7. AndrewC.
    Feb 18, 2003
    This game rocks! Replayable? Definitely! Looking for emerelds is kind of a waste of Knuckles skills if you ask me. The music is awesome! Chao are fun to raise too. I made mine look like Shadow.
  8. SkythePurpleHedgeHog(Rebecca)
    Mar 20, 2003
    I love this game, sonic, the music, the chao, everything!!! P.S Jacob A. - starfox sucks!!!
  9. StevenW.
    May 5, 2003
    Oh, yes!!! Good bye Mario I think SA2B is one of the best games ever.
  10. R.A.
    Jan 6, 2004
    I do not know why are you comparing Star fox A. with Sonic A2B, it is like comparing chess with Boxing, i enjoyed the both games and i rate them with 10.
  11. DanielF.
    Sep 9, 2005
    This game is radical! It has action, adventure, problem solving, and a built in pet system(choa world) that even has its own mini-games. The music in this game can keep me going for hours. The two player games on this game are really competitive and there is always a chance to win even if your way behind. I love this game, I own it, and you should too!
  12. sorcerer289
    Aug 16, 2007
    I love sonic...it is one of my favorite game series.This game rocked, it had speed,action,adventure,and it was awesome.This is better than alot of sonic games today.This is THE best 3d sonic.I liked it a little more than DX, but that game is awesome as well.Another great thing is the chao world. In Sonic Adventure 1 chao world sucked!!But they are alot more fun in SA2.The music I love sonic...it is one of my favorite game series.This game rocked, it had speed,action,adventure,and it was awesome.This is better than alot of sonic games today.This is THE best 3d sonic.I liked it a little more than DX, but that game is awesome as well.Another great thing is the chao world. In Sonic Adventure 1 chao world sucked!!But they are alot more fun in SA2.The music rules,great gameplay,smooth graphics etc. This is one of the best gamecube games out there!!! Expand
  13. JavierR.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I love this game!ithe camera angles are weriod at times but the over all game play is good the story..could use some work.the spin dash was good unlike other sonic games.The music was wonderful,the theme to city escape was great.and the chao world is the thing that grips me hard,i own sonic rivals 2 and i just love how this story mixs with that one.it shows some chao s and more so show I love this game!ithe camera angles are weriod at times but the over all game play is good the story..could use some work.the spin dash was good unlike other sonic games.The music was wonderful,the theme to city escape was great.and the chao world is the thing that grips me hard,i own sonic rivals 2 and i just love how this story mixs with that one.it shows some chao s and more so show the fly hero type for example dont know about you guys but this game is great.sonic team i think is having no game left behind it follows up old games with newer ones i just wish the chao gardens would have been better they where baic. Expand
  14. ShawnM.
    Mar 25, 2002
    Great game. Beat it in three days but never stopped playing it in those three days.
  15. CaseyW.
    Mar 7, 2002
    I am totally addicted to this game! I have been playing it for almost 5 hours a day and I still think it's fun! The camera angles are a minor set-back, but it's so fun, I really don't care about it! It has the 2 major things I luv all in one nice package: Speed and cute charecters. ;)
  16. BlakeH.
    Apr 10, 2002
    This game is awwwsome. I love the way the game flows, exept for a small set back in their babyish talking and mirror angles it's a very good game.
  17. ChrisDd.
    Mar 5, 2003
    I give this game a big fat 10 cause it really keaps you busy (espesially chao world) and the levels are great!
  18. MP
    Apr 16, 2003
    This is f**king good game. Only the camera is the weakest link.
  19. BoogerSnot
    Apr 27, 2004
    I just can't find that many cons to this game! One was the stupid camera angles, two was the boring Knuckles and Rouge levels, three was the equally boring Eggman and Tails levels. Four you didn't get to use Sonic and Shadow very much and that was what was driving the game. Five was that Rouge is a big breasted....yeah eyoo. This has to be one of the best Sonic games ever made I just can't find that many cons to this game! One was the stupid camera angles, two was the boring Knuckles and Rouge levels, three was the equally boring Eggman and Tails levels. Four you didn't get to use Sonic and Shadow very much and that was what was driving the game. Five was that Rouge is a big breasted....yeah eyoo. This has to be one of the best Sonic games ever made (in my opinon.) The levels were pretty replayable. The characters didn't have that many dorky lines (ahem Sonic DX.) The graphics were excellent. The chao were adorable. Adding Shadow was a plus because they need that kind of deep character. The soundtrack was awsome and seemed to fit the characters well enough. So I give it a 10. Expand
  20. AdamL.
    Nov 29, 2005
    Good Music, Good Gameplay, but the one thing it lacked was a good story. The Voice acting, as usual, sucked your mom, and the cinematics CG was down the toobs. The Gameplay was a little hard to control and the multiplayer drooled. I guess I should give it a seven, but I still go back and play it and have a great time, so I'll cut it some slack...
  21. Metrosilver
    Aug 21, 2005
    If you know the right technique its one of the greatest games ever made. It has a very good sturdy dramadic plot with plenty of action. Shadow was a little boxy. Its one of my favorite games.
  22. MichaelF.
    Aug 23, 2002
    This game kicks @#!
  23. IlikeSonicsoniciscool
    Jul 22, 2003
    Great game. I just hated rouge.
  24. William
    Nov 16, 2007
    The camera wasn't terrible, a bit awkward at times, but not too bad. Sonic and Shadow's stages were nice and fast, and unlike the new Sonic games the spin dash actually worked.
  25. Nov 3, 2011
    Best Sonic Game to ever be released. The story is unparalleled by any games of it's time, and it's gameplay is loads of fun for anyone to play! Boss battles are a little more tricky than the simple bosses from Sonic Adventure, but are more fun to battle. The 2-player mode called for hours and hours of playtime with friends, and lots of fun at parties.
  26. Nov 6, 2011
    Sonic and his friends are back, but now they must stop Eggman and his new team of baddies. Sonic meets his clone, Shadow the Hedgehog, who teams up with Eggman and Rouge the Bat to achieve world domnination. It is mostly the same gameplay as its predecessor, but it is still the great Sonic we all love to play
  27. Jun 14, 2015
    This game is practically flawless. I repeat: FLAWLESS! The music is great (as with almost every sonic game.),The graphics are sharp (some of the best for it's time.), the story is awesome (just like the first sonic adventure), the gameplay is awesome ( speed and shooting are great, but treasure hunting just drags on, and is the only reason I took off a point), and the voice acting isThis game is practically flawless. I repeat: FLAWLESS! The music is great (as with almost every sonic game.),The graphics are sharp (some of the best for it's time.), the story is awesome (just like the first sonic adventure), the gameplay is awesome ( speed and shooting are great, but treasure hunting just drags on, and is the only reason I took off a point), and the voice acting is phenomenal. Before I go, I'd like to talk about the Chao world because it is amazing. You can raise your own chao, and evolve them. You can even put them on your GBA*!

In conclusion, I really recommend buying this game. 9 out of 10.

*Game Boy Advance

P.S. I should add that if you really want to have fun with the chao function, get sonic advance. It will allow you to do a lot more with transporting your chao.
  28. Apr 27, 2012
    Best Sonic Game Ever. Along with Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Rush, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is my favourite Sonic game and one of the games that defined my childhood . Yeah, the camera is horrendous, the controls are quite sensitive and the Knuckles and Rouge stages are quite annoying but no Sonic game had more content, more fun and endless replay value than Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. TheBest Sonic Game Ever. Along with Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Rush, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is my favourite Sonic game and one of the games that defined my childhood . Yeah, the camera is horrendous, the controls are quite sensitive and the Knuckles and Rouge stages are quite annoying but no Sonic game had more content, more fun and endless replay value than Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. The soundtrack is awesome, the level design is fun to play through, the chao garden is surprisingly fun and deep and it is just wonderful nostalgia all the way Expand
  29. Mar 26, 2013
    People say this is Sonic's Best 3D outing and While I agree Colors is a much better product than this, While there is more replay value is this game than Colors it's overshadowed by those tedious Treasure Hunting Missions. Bottom Line: If you can find it cheap, I'd go for the Gamecube version because there's no sound mixing issues with this one what so ever.
  30. May 5, 2012
    I really enjoy playing this game on my Wii. I like taking care of my chaos' and collecting rings ingame so you can buy more stuff for your chao garden. I wish sega could bring back chao gardens in their games.
  31. Jun 22, 2012
    This is my favourite game ever and for good reason. The gameplay variety, speed, story, atmosphere and characters (which, suprisingly, Rouge and Eggman aside all the characters are quite believable). Scoring high is always rewarding and there is always a motivation to push forward. The story flows well and gaining new abilities makes the game feel fresh. The level design is quiteThis is my favourite game ever and for good reason. The gameplay variety, speed, story, atmosphere and characters (which, suprisingly, Rouge and Eggman aside all the characters are quite believable). Scoring high is always rewarding and there is always a motivation to push forward. The story flows well and gaining new abilities makes the game feel fresh. The level design is quite intuitive. Practically all the boss fights are exciting and require some thought as to how to defeat it, but not too much as it reaches the level of being frustrating. 10/10 Expand
  32. Aug 8, 2012
    This is the game of my childhood, it was absolutely amazing, and I will remember playing this for the rest of my life, even if the mechanics may not be so great and the glitches were there, I didn't care, I was happy to play and listen to the sonic theme tune all day long.
  33. Aug 10, 2012
    I really do like this game. The story is well done, the gameplay is varied enough not to become linear, and boring, and the Chao Garden is extremely addictive. I spent most of my adolencence taking care of them. However, the cutesiness of it may turn some people off, which is understandable, but if you get over yourself, they can eat away years of your life, making the game have greatI really do like this game. The story is well done, the gameplay is varied enough not to become linear, and boring, and the Chao Garden is extremely addictive. I spent most of my adolencence taking care of them. However, the cutesiness of it may turn some people off, which is understandable, but if you get over yourself, they can eat away years of your life, making the game have great replay value.

Now that that's out of the way, let's criticize it. This is kind of petty, but the lip sinking is, um... bad at best. It's actually quite hilarious at times how bad it really gets! Also, there are problems with the story. Like, how does the military confuse blue for black with red? That's not a spoiler, because they make that clear very early on. It also has it's fair share of glitches, but most of them are good glitches, and are exploitable. Also, the game play switches between Sonic/Tails/Knuckles for the Hero story, and Shadow/Eggman/Rouge for the Dark story. The only problem is that if someone doesn't like one style of gameplay (because they're all different), then there's going to be at least 1/3 of the game that you wouldn't like. Sonic/Shadow have speed stages, Tails/Eggman have mech suits for shooting things, and Knuckles/Rouge are treasure hunters. So, that can be a problem. It wasn't for me because I liked most of the stages in the game. Ok, I'm done dancing around it, yes, the camera isn't very good. You can only control it with L and R, and can get stuck on things, but this wasn't too much of a problem for me, because it did an ok job of staying on you at least, and I've definitely seen worse camera in games. Again, this is my favorite Sonic game, flaws and all, so take that for what it's worth. I love this game.
  34. Nov 5, 2012
    Is this the best Sonic game ever? No, probably not. Is this my favorite Sonic game? Definitely! I know this game has flaws and it really is not for everyone but as for me: camera wasn't a pain for me, I love the music, cutscenes, characters, gameplay, and story. I love the treasure hunting stages almost as much as the running stages (bet you thought you'd never see anyone say that, huh?)Is this the best Sonic game ever? No, probably not. Is this my favorite Sonic game? Definitely! I know this game has flaws and it really is not for everyone but as for me: camera wasn't a pain for me, I love the music, cutscenes, characters, gameplay, and story. I love the treasure hunting stages almost as much as the running stages (bet you thought you'd never see anyone say that, huh?) and the shooting stages are cool, too. Replayability is through the roof due to multiple missions and a ranking system. Oh, and don't even get me started on the Choa gardens! This game also ditches the hub worlds from SA1 in favor of a simple map, which I find a huge improvement. Even after nearly a decade of owning this game it still holds up, which is more than I can say for a lot of things I liked as a kid. Everyone should try this game at least once and if it's not for you just move on or check out the Genesis games. They're a lot of fun too! Expand
  35. Jun 28, 2013
    Sonic Adventure 2 is one of the best Sonic games around. The story (while ridiculous) is entertaining, the characters are awesome (such as Shadow, who's the coolest character ever in this game) and the gameplay is very well done. After this Sonic game, the quality of games began to deteriorate. So in a way this game is symbolic. It was the last good Sonic game before his slump in qualitySonic Adventure 2 is one of the best Sonic games around. The story (while ridiculous) is entertaining, the characters are awesome (such as Shadow, who's the coolest character ever in this game) and the gameplay is very well done. After this Sonic game, the quality of games began to deteriorate. So in a way this game is symbolic. It was the last good Sonic game before his slump in quality (until Sonic Colors).

Also, I'm pretty sure I put over 200+ hours into the Chao garden.
  36. Apr 24, 2013
    a very fun game. There is a lot to do, good challenges, and good gameplay. Also chao raising may be one of the greatest aspects of the game, but 2p mode needs more courses
  37. Oct 12, 2015
    This game is good because it has so much variety, there's so many modes, so many collectibles, just so much things to do that you won't get bored quickly.
  38. Oct 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sonic adventure 2 was originally released for the dreamcast, but because the dreamcast was failing, the game was ported to the gamecube under the name sonic adventure 2 battle. This is my favorite sonic game of all time. It really is a masterpiece, and one of the best games I've ever played. the plot is complicated, sonic is mistaken for shadow by the military and arrested, I still don't know how you could mistake sonic for shadow, they look nothing alike. and sonic has to escape, he has to go through earth and make it to the space colony ARK, and stop DR eggman and shadow's plans. well that's the hero story, now here's what happens in the dark story, you play as shadow, rouge, and dr eggman and you have to stop sonic, tails, and knuckles, from defeating them. now for the gameplay, the sonic and shadow stages are my favorite in the game, you run to the end of the stage and touch a goal ring to win, it's simple, but then there are tails and eggman stages. tails and dr eggman's stages are first person shooter stages and they basically are much slower versions of sonic and shadow's stages, there's some good platforming so that's okay. then there are knuckles and rouge's stages, the worst parts of the game, in these stages you have to find pecies of the master emerald, keys, and as rouge, chaos emeralds. the radar from sonic adventure has been messed up, instead of alerting you when you are near any emerald, it just wants you to find them in a specific order, you could be right on top of an emerald and the radar wouldn't go off until you found the one that it's looking for, and the clues are confusing, you have to already know the level like the back of your hand to understand these clues. In the stage "mad space" (rouge) the first clue is backwards, and the second clue tells you the exact opposite of where the emerald is. anyway, I can overlook all of the treasure hunting stages. and the final boss of the game is the prototype of shadow, it's the biolizard, I have no idea why the prototype of a hedgehog was a giant lizard it makes no sense. and the final boss is very hard, but the second phase the finalhazard is very easy, well, that's weird. and the soundtrack is AWSOME, it has some of the best songs i have ever heard in any video game. this game is a true masterpiece and I highly recommend it. if you have a gamecube, this is a must have. Expand
  39. Feb 5, 2014
    I remember getting this game when it first came out. I'm almost 24 now so you can do the math to see how long ago that was... lol. Anyway, this game was just amazing. The first stage was especially ingrained in my memory. I'm not sure why the critics gave such low scores. I mean, sure, the emerald stages were a little wonky but it was just a minor annoyance overall. I honestly wishI remember getting this game when it first came out. I'm almost 24 now so you can do the math to see how long ago that was... lol. Anyway, this game was just amazing. The first stage was especially ingrained in my memory. I'm not sure why the critics gave such low scores. I mean, sure, the emerald stages were a little wonky but it was just a minor annoyance overall. I honestly wish Sega would consider remaking this game with modern graphics in 1080p at 60 fps without changing anything in the game besides that. I know it would be a nostalgia trip but really... this game was a huge part of my childhood. :) Expand
  40. Jan 8, 2014
    My all time favorite Sonic game. It has everything i look for in a Sonic game: great level design, very fast gameplay, tight controls, a good story (for what it is), an amazing soundtrack, great replay value and fantastic multiplayer (the best of any Sonic game). While the game has it's flaws, like the nerfed treasure hunting levels (though are still fun) and the clunky controls of theMy all time favorite Sonic game. It has everything i look for in a Sonic game: great level design, very fast gameplay, tight controls, a good story (for what it is), an amazing soundtrack, great replay value and fantastic multiplayer (the best of any Sonic game). While the game has it's flaws, like the nerfed treasure hunting levels (though are still fun) and the clunky controls of the mech characters (especially Tails), the game is in my opinion the perfect 3D Sonic game. Expand
  41. Jan 23, 2014
    Best Sonic game ever with the greatest soundtrack to any video game. Play this classic and you will not be disappointed. There are two stories one based on heroes and the other based on villains with 3 different types of gameplay and the story itself is well written and pretty emotional along with the voice acting of REAL actors. Multiplayer mode is also spruced up and contains moreBest Sonic game ever with the greatest soundtrack to any video game. Play this classic and you will not be disappointed. There are two stories one based on heroes and the other based on villains with 3 different types of gameplay and the story itself is well written and pretty emotional along with the voice acting of REAL actors. Multiplayer mode is also spruced up and contains more content than the original. There is also a Chao Garden minigame that is a game within a game where you raise a virtual pet and you can power it up with animals and drives that you get in the main game along with currency as well. All in all, this is a timeless classic and will always be the peak of Sonic The Hedgehog. Expand
  42. Jul 11, 2014
    There is probably a lot of nostalgia goggle wearing here, but i love this game to death. No game i have ever played has given me this much replay-ability save one. I don't know why i love it so much and i know it has its flaws (egg-man and tails, I'm looking at you) But the chao system is what brings this game to a 10. My god sometimes i play this game just for the chao because its so funThere is probably a lot of nostalgia goggle wearing here, but i love this game to death. No game i have ever played has given me this much replay-ability save one. I don't know why i love it so much and i know it has its flaws (egg-man and tails, I'm looking at you) But the chao system is what brings this game to a 10. My god sometimes i play this game just for the chao because its so fun to raise them and watch them grow and then train them and race them. Its a masterpiece in my honest opinion, however, it probably comes from nostalgia. Expand
  43. Sep 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game surpassed all of my expectations! Sure this game has some flaws, but it doesn't mean it's a bad game. At first I thought it was going to be disappointing, but the moment I was going into the City Escape level, my mind was blown away. I played up to the part where you escape the island. I played the Dark Story and not an single frown was found on my face! Played it up to the Lost Space Colony part. Not to mention there is an special feature called the Chao World! To unlock it, find the special blue box, break it and there's the key to it! Want to raise Chao. You gotta figure it out yourself. Overall, this is an great game. 10/10. Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2014
    By far my favorite Sonic game! Great story, check! Awesome level design, check! Astonishing music, pretty much everything that I like in Sonic games in in this masterpiece. I know what some of you are thinking "You only like this game because you played it as a kid and your nostalgia blind BLAH BLAH BLAH This game sucks and you suck!" 1. MY OPINION! 2. I actually first played it when I wasBy far my favorite Sonic game! Great story, check! Awesome level design, check! Astonishing music, pretty much everything that I like in Sonic games in in this masterpiece. I know what some of you are thinking "You only like this game because you played it as a kid and your nostalgia blind BLAH BLAH BLAH This game sucks and you suck!" 1. MY OPINION! 2. I actually first played it when I was in 9th grade. Also 'Heroes was an example of a game that I used to love as a kid but nowa days I think of it as a mediocre game. I will admit, it's not for everybody but if your a fan of Sonic or platformers and you haven't played this game, at the very least give this game a shot. Expand
  45. Nov 22, 2014
    The best Sonic game. Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy buy it buy buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy buy it buy it buy it buy it bu
  46. Jan 8, 2016
    This is the best Sonic game there is. It might have certain moments that hold it back like certain hide n seek missions, but this game shows that Sonic has potential to be really great and fun in 3D. Not to mention the whole Chaos concept, doesn't get any more fun than taking care of this little basteerds and seeing them evolve.
  47. Feb 28, 2016
    A very enjoyable game, graphics are very nice, gameplay is flawed but still has something there to have fun, the music is great it doesn't fit the stage perfectly most of the time but most likely you will enjoy it, the chao garden is the most addictive part of the game, without a doubt one of the best 3D sonic games of the series, not the best, but it's up there with the best. If you canA very enjoyable game, graphics are very nice, gameplay is flawed but still has something there to have fun, the music is great it doesn't fit the stage perfectly most of the time but most likely you will enjoy it, the chao garden is the most addictive part of the game, without a doubt one of the best 3D sonic games of the series, not the best, but it's up there with the best. If you can get this game for 20 bucks or less, go for it. Expand
  48. May 19, 2016
    Favorite game of all time. Despite the Eggman and Tails levels being crap and the Knuckles and Rouge levels being ok, the Sonic and Shadow levels are SO good that this is still the best game I've ever played. Two player mode is awesome too. Physics in the game are amazing too and no Sonic game since has come close to how easy it is to move around in this game.
  49. Jun 9, 2016
    Camera is awkward sometimes but the gameplay has a lot and the music is cheesy but great! The controls are way better than the dreamcast version since the game didn't really age well on that system. And it is 100% nostalgic. I love this game and you should too!
  50. Mar 17, 2012
    Let's start with the good: The story is one of the most detailed yet, and it's the one to top in a Sonic game. The Chao Garden's Chao stats are a LOT better than the Dreamcast's "clever" use of the VMU. The Sonic gameplay is nowhere near as slippery as in the original Adventure. If you like the Sonic gameplay, you'll love this, and with the hub world removed, you can get right to theLet's start with the good: The story is one of the most detailed yet, and it's the one to top in a Sonic game. The Chao Garden's Chao stats are a LOT better than the Dreamcast's "clever" use of the VMU. The Sonic gameplay is nowhere near as slippery as in the original Adventure. If you like the Sonic gameplay, you'll love this, and with the hub world removed, you can get right to the level. Now, this isn't what the fans would call "The Greatest Sonic game Ever". The Mech and treasure hunting stages are absolute crap compared to the original Adventure (or at least DX, but DX is supposedly worse than the original so I'm pretty sure it still goes). Aside from glitches that carried over from Adventure, this is the only problem, but it's so bad it ruined the fun for me. The emerald radar was nerfed, and is inconvenient when you're on a timed level, like the one Rouge Level. The clues were absolutely useless, and in Mad Space, they would even flat out lie to you. The worst part? Without the Character select, you're forced to play these levels to get to the next Mech or Sonic stage. The mech stages aren't as bad, but they're definitely a step down from Gamma. It's nowhere near as engaging. Overall, it's an above average 3D platformer, but it certainly isn't the best. Collapse

#5 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#27 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

1. The graphics are flawless. Super-smooth, fast, seamless environments stretch on as far as the eye can see. While the GameCube should easily be able to do this, it's the frenetic pace that makes it most impressive.
  2. Games Radar
    Despite the messy structure, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is still up there with the best of them, knocking most of the competition for six. And that's what counts. [GamesMaster Magazine]
    If you’ve played or owned the Dreamcast version though, there isn’t much new to do.