7.8

1. FrankG.
    Apr 15, 2006
    On the outside this may seem to be just another way to squeeze money out of Sonic's name, but once you play the game you may find, as I did, that this is one of the most refreshingly fun racers in a long time. This game is in a league of its own with its racing style that combines the best of surfing, biking, skating, and many other extreme sports.
    May 27, 2006
    What could have been a fun, enjoyable racer is turned into tedium by an unnecessarily high difficulty level. SonicTeam seemed to think they were making F-Zero instead of a Sonic spinoff. Unfortunately, this isn't nearly as good as F-Zero. Once you learn the controls, (which takes a while) the game provides some thrills and funny cutscenes, but overall, there's just no reason to play it.
  3. BrianA.
    Apr 3, 2006
    it is an embaresment to all sonic lovers everywhere.
  4. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is better than Mario Kart Double Dash. The futuristic hover board racing does not get old. It delivers what it promises, and somehow more. It is a blast!
  5. Liz
    Jun 5, 2006
    Well, I thought it was fun, even after beating it three times over. The graphics were nice, and the CG videos were amazing, but I saw flaws there. For one, the mouths didn't move accordingly, but that can be overlooked. There are very few levels, but there are two worth your time to unlock, and they are very fun, with shortcuts and other things hidden everywhere. The other levels are Well, I thought it was fun, even after beating it three times over. The graphics were nice, and the CG videos were amazing, but I saw flaws there. For one, the mouths didn't move accordingly, but that can be overlooked. There are very few levels, but there are two worth your time to unlock, and they are very fun, with shortcuts and other things hidden everywhere. The other levels are fun too, however few, and give you a feeling of actually being in Sonic's universe, not in some random city. Basic controls, but they fit the bill nicly. The frusterating races come all too often though, and is the real reason why this is only worth a rent. Sonic Fans: Buy. Racing Fans: Rent. Hate both? Avoid. Expand
  6. TheRealSyko
    Jun 2, 2008
    I am well aware that Sega's flagship franchise has been ailing of late, suffering from Video Game Leukaemia: turning out droves of unfinished titles. This is one of the few exceptions. The concept of the game is refreshing, the gameplay is addictive, yet difficult enough to keep the length reasonable (unlike its sequel). One thing it lacked was substantial cutscenes, probably for the I am well aware that Sega's flagship franchise has been ailing of late, suffering from Video Game Leukaemia: turning out droves of unfinished titles. This is one of the few exceptions. The concept of the game is refreshing, the gameplay is addictive, yet difficult enough to keep the length reasonable (unlike its sequel). One thing it lacked was substantial cutscenes, probably for the better: all the less of Jason Griffith's sneering Sonic voice and hoarse Jet voice to hear. Shadow (fangirl idol #1) is entirely absent from the story, and inserting Jet to supplant him, even if for one game, was probably not a good PR move. HOWEVER: All things considered, the graphics are well rendered for PS2 (just don't mention GT4 and FF12), the gameplay is insanely addictive when you get into it, and the unlocks tempt you to keep going back for more. WELL worth it. I borrowed it from a friend and was impressed enough to buy it. Expand
  7. TreyW.
    Mar 3, 2006
    This game is a game for people who don't press the boost button repeatedly, The graphics are very high tech, and with the 3 new characters and the hoverboards make this game a blast.
  8. JoeyR
    Jun 24, 2009
    The critics that rated this poorly obviously aren't good at it. Therefore, they take their frustration out on the franchise. Plus, they don't like the entertainment-without-blood-and-sex that Sonic delivers (they've been making up excuses about why Sonic stinks since the mid 90s and Sonic's ratings have only gone up since then). It's different. It's The critics that rated this poorly obviously aren't good at it. Therefore, they take their frustration out on the franchise. Plus, they don't like the entertainment-without-blood-and-sex that Sonic delivers (they've been making up excuses about why Sonic stinks since the mid 90s and Sonic's ratings have only gone up since then). It's different. It's entertaining. It's engaging. It's fun. Play it. If you're any good at fast paced racing games, you'll enjoy it. Collapse
  9. EthanR.
    May 26, 2006
    A very average game. But i've got to hand it to sega, this is a pretty well created game. The controls are basic, but sometimes frustrating. The level desighn was amazing, there was shortcuts everywhere. The graphics were good. The worst thing about the game is how impossible some of the races were. Overall it was a good game but not worth a buy.
  10. Nov 18, 2013
    Sonic Riders is not entirely a bad game. Though Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing/Transformed overshadow this one, I think it's still a good game, the controls are decent once you get used to them and the music is once again great. Hell it's much better than Zero Gravity and Free Riders by a long mile.
  11. Sep 10, 2011
    Sonic and racing should go well together but when they ried it the first time, *Cringe in fear* , but I don't want to remember that abomination of a racing called Sonic R. This game is a massive improvement over it and is probably one of my favorite racing games
  12. Jan 26, 2012
    It's a racing game with bad gameplay. Probably the worst Sonic out there. Want a racing game? Get F-Zero or Mario Kart, because this game sucks in gameplay. The cutscenes are boring, the history is terrible, and that's pretty much of it. Sucks.
  13. Dec 16, 2012
    I'm surprised to find this game has such a low score....I enjoy this game might be worth the buy for most people.....sure the game has no online capabilities but it still is a pretty good game...
  14. Mar 13, 2015
    I'm honestly not sure how this game has such a poor score, as it's actually a very fun racing game with plenty of depth and challenge; and challenge isn't something you see too often in this genre. While the variety of unlockable gears may be a bit unnecessary and the somewhat small amount of tracks can make racing eventually repetitive for some, the game (especially for a sonic titleI'm honestly not sure how this game has such a poor score, as it's actually a very fun racing game with plenty of depth and challenge; and challenge isn't something you see too often in this genre. While the variety of unlockable gears may be a bit unnecessary and the somewhat small amount of tracks can make racing eventually repetitive for some, the game (especially for a sonic title released in '06) is very fun. There are plenty of racers to choose from, and while the track number is small, it makes up for it in that the tracks themselves are very memorable. It definitely takes a lot of getting used to however, and your first impression may poor because of that. But if you do learn the intricacies of the mechanics (which may require a look at the instruction manual), you'll find a fun racer that's definitely worth picking up, as long as you don't give up on it early on. Expand
  15. Dec 28, 2013
    It's a game that at first frustrated me. After I completed the game and mastered the controls, I was able to enjoy this games great sense of speed. Managing how much air (the games fuel) and doing tricks is great fun.

Aside from the frustration in getting a grip with this game, it's very fun, but it will destroy the padding on your control pads.
  16. May 25, 2015
    One of the best racing games of Sonic, despite not having t√£oo stunning graphics, and even music so good, it's good fun and it has a gameplay is great, I spent some good hours playing this game.
  17. Apr 12, 2015
    This game is amazing, one of the best games I played when I was 7 in 2008 and the best childhood game ever, Worth getting on GameCube (Not PC or Ps2)!

1. Sonic Riders doesn't boast too many tracks, nor does it have an online mode, which is a shame, but a bit of unique futuristic racing with familiar faces is what I'm after these days, and Sonic Riders delivers on that front hands down.
  2. Endure the few inevitable instances of frustration and your left with a solid sonic spin-off.
  3. Sonic fans may fill their need for speed here, but everyone else, please walk on.