Star Fox Adventures GameCube

7.8

1. Jul 15, 2017
    Star Fox Adventures has some of the best production values on the Gamecube but the game also suffers from several major weaknesses. I think the main problem is that it clearly wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game and that leads to major inconsistencies in both story and gameplay. In many ways it feels like two games mashed together. Rather than being a consistent experience it feels like aStar Fox Adventures has some of the best production values on the Gamecube but the game also suffers from several major weaknesses. I think the main problem is that it clearly wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game and that leads to major inconsistencies in both story and gameplay. In many ways it feels like two games mashed together. Rather than being a consistent experience it feels like a mishmash of ideas that don't seem to blend very well. It doesn't have the in-depth space shooter experience that made Star Fox 64 great and it doesn't have the in-depth platforming that made most of Rare's other adventure games great. It isn't a bad game, it does most things fairly well, the problem is that it doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

In terms of gameplay, Star Fox Adventures basically plays a lot like the 3d Zelda games but it isn't as good as any of the 3d Zelda games. I don't mind that the gameplay is similar to Zelda, in fact many other games (like Okami) did this to great effect. Borrowing elements of what makes one game great while injecting new unique elements is really just good game design. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel every time. The problem is that Star Fox Adventures doesn't add many unique gameplay elements and as a result its gameplay just comes off as an inferior version of Zelda's. I would have loved to see more platforming or shooter elements blended with a Zelda like adventure. Instead of mixing the best elements of each genre though, Rare seems to have taken many of the worst parts of each. For example, most of the upgrades you get are limited to specific areas or specific uses. Games like Banjo Kazooie had similar limits but in Banjo there were so many options that it seemed far more forgivable. One of the things that makes Zelda gameplay so good is that you can use most of your items and abilities in many situations, there is a ton of experimentation. In Star Fox Adventures there is almost no room to experiment. The gameplay all functions fine and the game plays smoothly but it if inferior to the games it draws from.

The Story actually starts out really good both on Dinosaur Planet and in space. Dinosaurs Planet looks very intriguing when it is introduced as a place covered in mysterious temples. In space the crew of the Great Fox are in shambles, the Great Fox itself is extreme damaged and Falco is missing. It's a good setup that made me want to play more, to fix the Great Fox and learn the mysteries behind Dinosaur Planet. After that setup though the story quickly becomes tedious and the story becomes inconsistent. Most of the characters seem either out of place or are just too shallow. Probably the biggest problem with the story though, is that it seems like two different stories that are both incomplete. The mysteries of Dinosaur Planet are answered with an extremely simplistic and disappointing plot twist. In the end its just not a coherent or well thought out story. The progression through the game is pretty good and the story is fairly well paced though, aside from the ending which is very abrupt.

Where this game does shine is in its visuals and sound design. At the time of its release Star Fox Adventures was the best looking game on the Gamecube and one of the best looking games period. The characters, props and effects all looked detailed and polished. Rare always made great looking games and this game definitely delivered. The voice acting was also quite good for its time. Now days those things aren't as impressive but in 2002 it made the game stand out. The music in the game is suitably atmospheric but it isn't the type of soundtrack that I would listen to outside the game.

In terms of length and scope of content. I really thought that it was too short. The story is very linear and even then it felt cut short. For an action adventure game I usually want a game that is upwards of 30 hours with the option for more with secrets and experimentation. Star Fox Adventures offers no more than 15 hours of gameplay and there is very little room for you to experiment and very little reason to play through the game again.

Overall, I didn't dislike this game, it was fun for what it was. It looks good and sounds good. The story is mediocre but not terrible and the gameplay is above average. The reason that I would not recommend this game is that I think there are far better games in the action adventure genre. I think all of the 3d Zelda games are much better and most of Rare's other games are also better. If you want a Zelda like experience featuring Star Fox characters though, this game certainly isn't bad and is worth a try.

I give it a 65%
  2. Aug 23, 2016
    This game is one of my favorite games of GameCube, but it have some things what it make not have a ten or nine. Not expect a Zelda, but it quality brings it nearly to a typical Zelda Game.
  3. Jul 13, 2016
    Replay value. Check. Great controls. Check. Good graphics. Check! Good story. Good but can be a bit complex. Overall this game has great gameplay and my favorite Star Fox game of all time!
  4. Apr 23, 2016
    This game is an almost complete departure from the Star Fox series but despite that it is an amazing action-adventure game in the same vain as Zelda. The graphics are amazing for the time, the music is masterful and the gameplay is perfect for what t attempts to be and that is an adventure focused, puzzle solving, temple scouring game. If you can go into this game looking at it as theThis game is an almost complete departure from the Star Fox series but despite that it is an amazing action-adventure game in the same vain as Zelda. The graphics are amazing for the time, the music is masterful and the gameplay is perfect for what t attempts to be and that is an adventure focused, puzzle solving, temple scouring game. If you can go into this game looking at it as the first and only entry in the Star Fox Adventures series then you will find an amazing game but if you go into it thinking it is Star Fox 64 2 then you will obviously be disappointed. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2015
    9/10 .................................................................................................................................................
  6. Jan 5, 2015
    I haven't really played this game all that much, but those times when I DID play this game felt awesome. They had a few map issues, but that is all. This game is really good.
  7. Dec 9, 2014
    Pretty much Zelda with a Star Fox skin. It was definitely a bold step by Rare and Shigeru Miyamoto himself to create this good game.

The story mode was top notch and it was the first game out of the entire series that finally got Fox out of the cockpit and into the land. It also brings new mechanics (Like Fox's staff) and new ideas which can help the series in it's next entries. The

The graphics were very nice and I'd even consider one the best looking games on the Gamecube. Everything was detailed and textures looked great.

This was also the first game that introduced Krystal into the series, which I think can be a very reliable character to the team if she's done well.

Overall, Star Fox Adventures is a very different game from your average Star Fox 64 type of game. Thanks to average gameplay, fleshed out story, and a nice soundtrack. Star Fox Adventures is a game that's worth a buy even if some of it's aspects are disappointing.
  8. May 27, 2014
    Graphics: 9.8 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 9.0

Amazing graphics (gorgeous character textures and water effects). Some of the best games i ever played. With some aspects more polished it would be probably the best Gamecube game.
  9. May 16, 2014
    this is not the game starfox fans were wanting, but is definitely not a bad game. the game looks quite good for its time and has beautiful design. I love the fact that this game has dinosaurs in general, which may be a bit biased but hey, what was the last game that you played with dinosaurs huh? dinosaurs are freakin cool. this game can come off a bit weird and doesn't quite feel like athis is not the game starfox fans were wanting, but is definitely not a bad game. the game looks quite good for its time and has beautiful design. I love the fact that this game has dinosaurs in general, which may be a bit biased but hey, what was the last game that you played with dinosaurs huh? dinosaurs are freakin cool. this game can come off a bit weird and doesn't quite feel like a starfox game at all really, but its still fun none the less, nothing totally special though Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2013
    It's a shame that most people don't know the development of this game. It was never meant to be a Star Fox game so it gets bad reviews by players. I for one think this game is amazing. I would have really liked for it to be Dinosaur Planet for the N64 instead of Star Fox Adventures but we may never know how the game was like. This is my favorite game on the Gamecube and for good reason. IIt's a shame that most people don't know the development of this game. It was never meant to be a Star Fox game so it gets bad reviews by players. I for one think this game is amazing. I would have really liked for it to be Dinosaur Planet for the N64 instead of Star Fox Adventures but we may never know how the game was like. This is my favorite game on the Gamecube and for good reason. I think when people play the game they should at least do some research on what the game was originally like. Expand
  11. Nov 25, 2013
    This game, is amazing! There is adventure and excitement around very turn! Amazing twists and turns will be sure to hook you! It's not your typical star-ship fighter Star-fox, but it is a really enjoyable game! I can see some relation to the Zelda games but all in all, the plot is totally different and the games really shouldn't be compared. The gameplay is smooth and enjoyable(if a bitThis game, is amazing! There is adventure and excitement around very turn! Amazing twists and turns will be sure to hook you! It's not your typical star-ship fighter Star-fox, but it is a really enjoyable game! I can see some relation to the Zelda games but all in all, the plot is totally different and the games really shouldn't be compared. The gameplay is smooth and enjoyable(if a bit challenging) the graphics are gorgeous, and the story is full of both humor and action;in all the right places. The level design is unique and playable, giving the player a sense of immersion. The characters are all realistic, and are fun to talk to! You'll enjoy exploring Dinosaur Planet even without the galactic starship battles.
    I'm devoted to the space battle form of Star-Fox but I can defintely make an exception for this awesome game! I totally recommend it for anyone who wants a fun exploring/questing/battling game!
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    As a kid, I played this game through at lead 20 times. It really is a great game, full of puzzles, actions, and awesome bosses. The issue is that it's not a good Star Fox game. Imagine giving Mario a FPS game. Even if it was the best FPS around, it still would be a terrible Mario game. That same logic applies to this game. Even though it is awesome and definitely worth your attention, justAs a kid, I played this game through at lead 20 times. It really is a great game, full of puzzles, actions, and awesome bosses. The issue is that it's not a good Star Fox game. Imagine giving Mario a FPS game. Even if it was the best FPS around, it still would be a terrible Mario game. That same logic applies to this game. Even though it is awesome and definitely worth your attention, just don't expect Star Fox like you remember it. Expand
  13. May 20, 2013
    Star Fox Adventures is a good game. The graphics, controls, story, and music are excellent. The puzzle solving of Star Fox Adventures is the best part of the game. The mini-games are easy to complete with an exception of a few that are tough.
  14. Jan 12, 2013
    they say Star Fox Adventures was a letdown because of the odd story, uninteresting, annoying, pointless, or just stupid characters, lack of relevance to the other Star Fox games, and being a Zelda clone. Well in my opinion, they'd be right. Star Fox fan since have wanted a true Star Fox 64 sequel, but instead get Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command, and Star Fox 64 3D. And fans of the gamethey say Star Fox Adventures was a letdown because of the odd story, uninteresting, annoying, pointless, or just stupid characters, lack of relevance to the other Star Fox games, and being a Zelda clone. Well in my opinion, they'd be right. Star Fox fan since have wanted a true Star Fox 64 sequel, but instead get Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command, and Star Fox 64 3D. And fans of the game even have the guts to compare to Legend of Zelda, some even going as far as to say it's better. This game wouldn't be that bad if 1. It wasn't a Star Fox game 2. Trippy didn't follow you like this game was Nintendogs Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2012
    Great game. I go back to it often thanks to its mesmerizing visuals and addictive gameplay. The music is incredible. You have to hear it to know what I'm talking about. Overall, an amazing game. If you own a GameCube, this is the game to buy.
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Brilliant design, great gameplay and awesome graphics. This game is so underrated. The only flaw with this game was the ending which was rushed and random, but if you look into the history surrounding Rare during the development of this game, it's kind of explained why. The biggest complaint I hear about this game is that it isn't a true starfox game, but that is because it wasn't meantBrilliant design, great gameplay and awesome graphics. This game is so underrated. The only flaw with this game was the ending which was rushed and random, but if you look into the history surrounding Rare during the development of this game, it's kind of explained why. The biggest complaint I hear about this game is that it isn't a true starfox game, but that is because it wasn't meant to be a starfox game originally! All that aside, this is a great adventure game! Expand
  17. Nov 7, 2011
    I like this Star Fox better than others because you have the freedom to play as Star Fox out of an Arwing. The gameplay is kinda like Zelda games in a way that you go into a dungeon-like area and return to a field.
  18. Sep 1, 2011
    i love the star fox games and wasnt overly thrilled about this one being a platformer and not s shooter. but still wanted to give it a try. its ok but its abit buggy had a few times of my game freezing up. i got about half way through it and frooze up 3 times during the boss fight and just abandoned the game and no my disk was not scratched i looked . mayhbe a bad a copy though. over all ii love the star fox games and wasnt overly thrilled about this one being a platformer and not s shooter. but still wanted to give it a try. its ok but its abit buggy had a few times of my game freezing up. i got about half way through it and frooze up 3 times during the boss fight and just abandoned the game and no my disk was not scratched i looked . mayhbe a bad a copy though. over all i say pass on it unless you really like platforming games. Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2011
    I find this game to be a complete and weak copy of Zelda. And I find the romance bits between two furries to be awkward at times (i'm not a hater on furries in general, this is purely the game). The arwing, which was a pinnacle for the previous Star Fox games, is left in the shelf for only the necessary uses, which leaves this game something to be desired. And by that, I mean, I feel thisI find this game to be a complete and weak copy of Zelda. And I find the romance bits between two furries to be awkward at times (i'm not a hater on furries in general, this is purely the game). The arwing, which was a pinnacle for the previous Star Fox games, is left in the shelf for only the necessary uses, which leaves this game something to be desired. And by that, I mean, I feel this game to be very weak for an adventure game. Collapse
  20. JaBoiBlue
    Aug 30, 2006
    I actually enjoyed this game much more than Wind Waker (but certainly no means more than Ocarina or my favorite, Link to the Past). True, the combat is easy in this game (like Wind Waker, you'll never ever die), but the puzzles can be challenging and a lot of fun. The only downsides I found are the annoying shop keeper, though he is not NEARLY as annoying as having to change the Wind I actually enjoyed this game much more than Wind Waker (but certainly no means more than Ocarina or my favorite, Link to the Past). True, the combat is easy in this game (like Wind Waker, you'll never ever die), but the puzzles can be challenging and a lot of fun. The only downsides I found are the annoying shop keeper, though he is not NEARLY as annoying as having to change the Wind in Wind Waker (Thinking about it makes me want to kill myself), the Arwing parts being too easy and the very sluggish beginning that the game has (at first you'll think, "uh, what did I buy?"). The fact that the story is very childish isn't a problem as I expect that from any Nintendo product (Metroid, etc. excluded). Beautiful sound, gameplay, puzzles and graphics. If you like Zelda, Beyond Good and Evil or similar games, definitely pick this up. Also, people call this a Zelda rip-off, but when you consider Zelda popularized adventure games, what do you expect? If this was a platformer everyone would say it was a Mario 64 rip off instead. Expand
  21. TheJoe
    Nov 30, 2005
    Dear Zelda fans. It's possible to own and play both Star Fox Adventures and Zelda. For the discount price that you can find it for now it's well worth a buy if you're a fan of Zelda or adventure games in general. No, it's no Zelda but it's got fantastic graphics and interesting puzzles. The combat is incredibly easy and not very deep but I never found Zelda's Dear Zelda fans. It's possible to own and play both Star Fox Adventures and Zelda. For the discount price that you can find it for now it's well worth a buy if you're a fan of Zelda or adventure games in general. No, it's no Zelda but it's got fantastic graphics and interesting puzzles. The combat is incredibly easy and not very deep but I never found Zelda's to be either. It's about the adventure not the action. Expand
  22. Puffy
    Nov 4, 2005
    This game is pretty good.. graphics is a defnine plus... the game is very long i say its worth buyin... if ur lookin for a gmae that is like previus star foxes u may be disaponinting yes there is no blaster yes there is no fly around alot . but its a new twist i have to say i like it.. it does have some zelda like game play but its not better than ocrina of time ....i get the gaem u cantThis game is pretty good.. graphics is a defnine plus... the game is very long i say its worth buyin... if ur lookin for a gmae that is like previus star foxes u may be disaponinting yes there is no blaster yes there is no fly around alot . but its a new twist i have to say i like it.. it does have some zelda like game play but its not better than ocrina of time ....i get the gaem u cant go wrong its wroth buyin . its pretty long game ....favorite part of the game is ridein the hover like thing down a hill agianst the sharp clauses. hardest part .... probly the blocks or night n day in wall city or takin the exploding barrel up the ramp while dogin other barrels ..but in all i get i the game its wroth it not a ten but still very worth havin. Expand
  23. EduardoR.
    May 13, 2005
    I played it. I beat it. I hated it. The game is too easy. Sound effects are awful. Graphics are nice, but gameplay sucks. The "bosses" don´t even deserve to be called "bosses". I´ve just sold it. It was a relief. There are people who try to compare it to ZELDA - The Wind Waker. This is a message for them: Don´t you ever consider comparing this "game" to ZELDA. Fox I played it. I beat it. I hated it. The game is too easy. Sound effects are awful. Graphics are nice, but gameplay sucks. The "bosses" don´t even deserve to be called "bosses". I´ve just sold it. It was a relief. There are people who try to compare it to ZELDA - The Wind Waker. This is a message for them: Don´t you ever consider comparing this "game" to ZELDA. Fox McCloud´s weird staff is no match for Link´s Master Sword. Expand
  24. CloudStrife&ThanasisI.
    Mar 24, 2005
    It is boring cause u have only one weapon with a few moves and the story is not good at all for Star Fox!! Zelda the best an much more better from this one. Choose Zelda instead of this!!
  25. MatthewI.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Somehow I actually completed this game and I hated every moment of it. The arwing sections are terrible, totally one sided, and require no skill at all. The fighting is terrible, totally one sided, and requires no skill at all. All you do is press one button over and over again to do combos which invariably end in your enemy being stuned or thrown away, who then returns two seconds later Somehow I actually completed this game and I hated every moment of it. The arwing sections are terrible, totally one sided, and require no skill at all. The fighting is terrible, totally one sided, and requires no skill at all. All you do is press one button over and over again to do combos which invariably end in your enemy being stuned or thrown away, who then returns two seconds later and you repeat the whole thing again. The 'puzzle-solving' consists of picking one thing up and moving it somewhere else or hitting a switch. It copies too much off Zelda. There is only one weapon and it sucks. The enemies do not look evil or threatening in any way. The man in the shop has a very anoying voice. This may not sound too bad but you have to listen to it every time you want to buy it and after a while it hurts you to your very soul to listen to him repeating the same, stupid nonsense in that damn whiney voice of his. The story is cliched: brave hero saves trapped Princess. It copies too much off Zelda. The characters are anoying and unlovable. It is the most linear game I have ever played in my life. You get 100% completion just by finishing it. Once you've beaten the final boss there is nothing else to do and the game has no replay value at all. Do not buy this game. It is one of the most frustrating, pointless, annoying games of all time. Buy Zelda instead. Expand
  26. DanielM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Rubbish at first, excellent later.
  27. HeleneM.
    Jun 4, 2004
    Just loved it, do not compare with Zelda the graphics and gameplay are a lot more beautifull and fun.
  28. BoogerSnot
    Apr 27, 2004
    First thing I have to say about this is stop comparing it with stupid Zelda! Because its not. I found that the cons of this game is an awsomely short list. At some points it had bad camera angles. The frog that was supposed to give you clues is a dunder head and gives the clue to you in sometimes riddiculous riddles. The puzzles can be annoying and the staff power goes down low real fast. First thing I have to say about this is stop comparing it with stupid Zelda! Because its not. I found that the cons of this game is an awsomely short list. At some points it had bad camera angles. The frog that was supposed to give you clues is a dunder head and gives the clue to you in sometimes riddiculous riddles. The puzzles can be annoying and the staff power goes down low real fast. Now for the pros! They made up their own cute little language for the game. The graphics were well put and the story was origional. Then the ending level was a bitter sweet and hard level. Expand
  29. ChristopherS.
    Apr 19, 2004
    This is game is hella tight! I love the adventure of this game. So don't waste time! Buy it now!
  30. ProfessorFrink
    Jan 14, 2004
    Personally, I didn't like this game. I played Zelda for the first time after I played this and I was amazed at how much Starfox copied it. They didn't even do a very good job. The stupid Arwing thing to each planet would be better without, and you should be able to have more than a stupid staff. Also, the final boss (Andross) was too easy, I had much more trouble with the game Personally, I didn't like this game. I played Zelda for the first time after I played this and I was amazed at how much Starfox copied it. They didn't even do a very good job. The stupid Arwing thing to each planet would be better without, and you should be able to have more than a stupid staff. Also, the final boss (Andross) was too easy, I had much more trouble with the game before that, and I beat Andross on my 3rd try! If you like RPG's, get Zelda. Expand
  31. Uter
    Oct 5, 2003
    There's so much promise gone to waste here. the production values are very high, but unfortunately it's without much direction. It's like some great video gaming talent all came together but couldn't agree on what to do. The 1st few hours are a mish mash of seemingly random gameplay and yawn inducing fetch quests. i hear it gets better a few more hours in but i justThere's so much promise gone to waste here. the production values are very high, but unfortunately it's without much direction. It's like some great video gaming talent all came together but couldn't agree on what to do. The 1st few hours are a mish mash of seemingly random gameplay and yawn inducing fetch quests. i hear it gets better a few more hours in but i just didn't feel inspired to care. basically this is a poor mans zelda. Expand
  32. SoulCalibur2
    Sep 6, 2003
    I admire Rare's attempt to make a new starfox game, but after awhile, it becomes clear that its not so great after all. I had fun in the beginning, but it was too repetitve and the battles are way too one-sided. Andross resurrected? How original is that?!? However, there is a new Starfox coming out (StarFox Armada) and it involved on-foot, on the ground(the landmaster tank) and on I admire Rare's attempt to make a new starfox game, but after awhile, it becomes clear that its not so great after all. I had fun in the beginning, but it was too repetitve and the battles are way too one-sided. Andross resurrected? How original is that?!? However, there is a new Starfox coming out (StarFox Armada) and it involved on-foot, on the ground(the landmaster tank) and on the ARWING, so that should be a little better. Expand
  33. BobM.
    Aug 23, 2003
    If you dont like this game your a gamer that doesn't go on with a game if theres the slightest problem. so you go off and play GTA cause you cant beat a game all you can do is kill people.
  34. NiJones
    Apr 20, 2003
    So what if it doesn't follow the traditional format of Starfox games?! This piece of GC greatness is a fun piece of monster slashing fun. It adds a new concept to Starfox, it's not just about space fighting, and I was glad about that. There is going to be a space based Starfox game anyway, so why not try a new concept? I loved this game, even though it was easy to complete - So what if it doesn't follow the traditional format of Starfox games?! This piece of GC greatness is a fun piece of monster slashing fun. It adds a new concept to Starfox, it's not just about space fighting, and I was glad about that. There is going to be a space based Starfox game anyway, so why not try a new concept? I loved this game, even though it was easy to complete - Zelda OOT was the same...as was Majora's Mask - some people will find them easy to beat, others wont. I only wish that the last skyrunner blasting was easier... Expand
  35. CarrollA.
    Apr 9, 2003
    I didn't expect much from this game, but bought it waiting for Zelda to come out. I'm glad I bought it. Someone gave this game a 1, which seems so unfair. I bet that person didn't play it very long to give it a chance. The graphics are better than great, the controls are smooth and the plot is very clever in the way it develops. I love Zelda and I rate Starfox in or near I didn't expect much from this game, but bought it waiting for Zelda to come out. I'm glad I bought it. Someone gave this game a 1, which seems so unfair. I bet that person didn't play it very long to give it a chance. The graphics are better than great, the controls are smooth and the plot is very clever in the way it develops. I love Zelda and I rate Starfox in or near that category as far as 'funable' is concerned. I do think Starfox is a bit easier than Zelda, but is very fun to play and the game keeps rolling and doesn't get bogged down in not knowing what to do next. You don't have many weapons, basically just one. But as the story develops, that one weapon becomes very versatile. I'm only 1/2 through the game and I've logged in many hours already, so I don' consider it too short. Starfox is truly a good adventure game that I hope has a sequel. I hope this helps you. Expand
  36. StuL.
    Mar 23, 2003
    This Game Is Great but Lacks Heart & Soul.
  37. Spiner
    Mar 11, 2003
    People relax, Zelda 2, StarFox 2, Mario 2, and many more titles are coming out soon, so just relax and enjoy this game. If you don't like it another one is coming out.
  38. AndrewC.
    Feb 18, 2003
    Although fun, this game is way too short. Ocarina of Time crushes it in gameplay. It's just too easy. Graphics I would give a 10 though. Smashes X-box into pieces. (Can they make Fox look so real? I don't think so!) The puzzles are almost the same as Zelda.
  39. GamecubeManKillender
    Dec 3, 2002
    All i have to say is !THIS IS A INCREDIBLE GAME! Make sure you buy this game.
  40. JoshuaA.
    Nov 20, 2002
    Great graphics and gameplay. Only real downfall is it's short timespan of gameplay. The last boss is also a bit of a let-down, but I won't give anyhting away. Despite those flaws, this game is really good and worth the time!
  41. ArielA.
    Nov 7, 2002
    This Game is NOT I repeat NOT like Zelda like it deceives you to believe. Did you guys notice that the targeting system is different and inferior also? It's automatic when you face enemies (remember in zelda you could avoid fighting automatically). The bosses in Zelda were more challenging than those of Star Fox. The environments not as good as zelda. If it were like zelda then cape This Game is NOT I repeat NOT like Zelda like it deceives you to believe. Did you guys notice that the targeting system is different and inferior also? It's automatic when you face enemies (remember in zelda you could avoid fighting automatically). The bosses in Zelda were more challenging than those of Star Fox. The environments not as good as zelda. If it were like zelda then cape claw where the high top is (geez only one!) would be at least as big as the Lake in Zelda 64. There's no continuity of the worlds. If you notice you can't really tell what's around. Not fighting Scales was downright silly. Like Zelda? NO I believe I FOUGHT Ganondorf. Please stop tarnishing Zelda's name. I'm extremely dissapointed in this game. Like Zelda, NO WAY. People, there's a difference in every possible control, world, storyline. I'm sick and tired of people saying that it copies Zelda. There's a clear difference. Expand
  42. EdeaK.
    Nov 1, 2002
    I've played this game and it's fun.......so far so I'm going to give it a 9 for now but the more I get into the game this rating may change over a period of time.
  43. KelseyP.
    Oct 26, 2002
    I enjoyed every moment of the entire game. The graphics are awesome, from the vast worlds around Fox to the fur on his body. I am a Nintendo Nut and I'm usually picky about the games I play, but I was not disappointed with Star- Fox at all. My favorite part about it are the cutsences. Fox displays a wide range of emotions you almost never see game characters use. I've waited so I enjoyed every moment of the entire game. The graphics are awesome, from the vast worlds around Fox to the fur on his body. I am a Nintendo Nut and I'm usually picky about the games I play, but I was not disappointed with Star- Fox at all. My favorite part about it are the cutsences. Fox displays a wide range of emotions you almost never see game characters use. I've waited so long for thisgame to come out (I heard about it last June). I just wish it was a bit longer. I heard a lot of people complain that it was too much like Zelda. Well, y'know what I think? "What I happened to like Zelda?" It was a smashing sucesss to me. I'm also glad that Fox finnally has a girlfriend. It's so cute how he first sees her and just stares at her like a lovesick puppy. I just wish they would've kissed at the end. Expand
  44. DerekN.
    Oct 8, 2002
    This is a really quality game all the way through. The presentation is top notch, the puzzles and level design, simple yet clever, and the quest fun and engaging. The developers have bent over backwards to provide a game that never gets frustrating or monotonous. The only downside to all of this is the the simplistic fighting system. Still, a great game for entire 20 hours it will take This is a really quality game all the way through. The presentation is top notch, the puzzles and level design, simple yet clever, and the quest fun and engaging. The developers have bent over backwards to provide a game that never gets frustrating or monotonous. The only downside to all of this is the the simplistic fighting system. Still, a great game for entire 20 hours it will take you to finish it. And to the reviewer who asked "where's Falco?"...he is indeed in there. Expand
  45. Drkosmos
    Oct 6, 2002
    Man, I can't believe so many people rated this game so high. It has it's moments but the gameplay is horribly horribly stale. The combat is one dimensional and mindless, the puzzles are contrived, and aside from their occasional vagueness they are largely very easy. Almost all of the gameplay elements are gutted straight from the zelda 64 series, with little or no effort made to Man, I can't believe so many people rated this game so high. It has it's moments but the gameplay is horribly horribly stale. The combat is one dimensional and mindless, the puzzles are contrived, and aside from their occasional vagueness they are largely very easy. Almost all of the gameplay elements are gutted straight from the zelda 64 series, with little or no effort made to conceal this. The story is mundane and predictable, and the voice acting, though competent, does very little to involve you in the game or make you care about the characters at all. This has to be one of the least compelling games I've ever played. The only motivation I had to keep playing was the graphics, which at times are really amazing, but even after a while those become repetitive as the too short but too long game wears on. And where the hell is Falco??? It seems like Nintendo had all the pieces in the right place. They had a strong license to work from, a stunning graphics engine, and one of the best in house development teams on the market. I really really wanted to like this game. But it seems like when they finished writing the graphics code, they just slapped together a shoddy game on top of it, hoping the graphics would cover up the thoughtless gameplay. Judging from most of the reviews here, that worked, which has seriously undermined my faith in the critical community. In either case, Starfox Adventures comes up way short as an action rpg, especially after playing Kingdom Hearts for the PS2, which stands in direct contrast to this game. Even though the combat system is shallow, it is miles deep by comparison, and they use their (admittedly better) license as a means to keep the player motivated even when the gameplay can be rather stale. This game does none of that. It is a waste of great license, and a waste of your money. I hope they don't screw up the upcoming Legend of Zelda game like this, and to be honest I'm glad this is Rare's last game for Nintendo; if it's any indication of where the development party has gone, then Microsoft just wasted a whole lot of money. Expand
  46. JackieT.
    Oct 5, 2002
    The graphics are incredible.... People sit an watch me play it just to see what happens next....
  47. MichaelX.
    Oct 1, 2002
    it is a very good game and i recommend that others buy it too.
  48. AaronE.
    Oct 1, 2002
    This game is not nearly the masterpiece it could have been given the track record of Rare and Nintendo. However the game is very entertaining, with some wonderful scenarios, and characters, and unless you are absolutley broke is worth the purchase. In comments to some other reviews, anyone who has heard about this game should no that it in no way is a FLYING SIMULATION! like the other This game is not nearly the masterpiece it could have been given the track record of Rare and Nintendo. However the game is very entertaining, with some wonderful scenarios, and characters, and unless you are absolutley broke is worth the purchase. In comments to some other reviews, anyone who has heard about this game should no that it in no way is a FLYING SIMULATION! like the other Star Fox games, it is an adventure, only somebody living in a cave wouldn't know better. Expand
  49. Matt
    Sep 30, 2002
    Great game, wonderful graphics, good control, good story, but it needs some classic arwing levels. Go get if you havent already.
  50. JaredA.
    Sep 28, 2002
    This game is the best game is the best game for the cube. MUCH better than Mario sunshine, MUCH better than Sonic adventure 2, and MUCH better than everything else.
  51. Jul 3, 2011

#7 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#5 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

1. The main downfall comes with the closing areas of the game; they seem rushed and are indicative of the sale of Rare to Microsoft, but don't let that prevent you from thoroughly enjoying one of the best videogames of this year.
  2. GMR Magazine
    Takes its inspiration from "The Legend of Zelda" - and that ain't bad. [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. It lacks tension (combat is totally one-sided), set pieces (there are two whole bosses in the entire game), a gripping story (Krystal's kidnapped, you rescue Spirits, you fight General Scales), and any of the myriad different things that the game it principally tries to emulate (Zelda) was so famous for.