Star Fox: Assault GameCube

8.1

1. Jul 3, 2011
    I've lost all respect for Star Fox when they released this game. I wanted to feel the old school Star Fox while i played this game, but the bulky mechanics and downgraded vehicles was a sad panda. And once again, the romance between the two foxes were very distracting to the game itself. I hope to see Star Fox 64 material soon...
  2. Aug 10, 2013
    I do not understand why people complain so much about this game.
    This is a great Star Fox game, I have only played the 64 remake on 3DS along with the SNES one.
    It is by far better than the 64 one. The combat on foot is a lot of fun, and multiplayer is GREAT!

7 out of 10, since it could be longer.
  3. Apr 17, 2017
    Star Fox Assault brings the Star Fox franchise back to it's original formula, after the deviation that was Star Fox Adventures. Sadly, it is very far from being a grand return to what made Star Fox 64 so special. Assault is, overall, a mediocre game with many flaws.

For starters, the game is completely linear and has no map like its predecessor. Which means that optional routes and secret ways to finish missions are gone. This wouldn't be much of a problem if the game had a decent lenght, but sadly, it is pretty short. The main thing to do outside the main story is local multiplayer, but I never tried it, so I'm not commenting on that.

The Arwing gameplay is great, and it is the only aspect where Assault feels like an evolution of SF64 (aside from graphics, obviously). The classic on-rails shooting missions are clearly the best parts of the game. But then comes Assault's big novelty: the ground missions, where you control Fox and play like in a third-person shooter. Sounds like a good idea, I mean, gunfights seem totally fitting for the Star Fox universe. But sadly, the controls are terrible, aiming is a pain, and it gets really repetitive after some missions. And ground missions are like half of the game.

One thing that I really enjoyed about SF64 are the characters. They were all memorable and extremely likeable. The cheesy dialogues in that game were pure gold. Assault's characters feel like a cheap imitation of their former selves. Not only are the dialogues completely forgettable, but the voice actors are pretty unfitting in my opinion. Fox's voice actor in particular.

At least the game has a nice soundtrack. Most of it consists of remastered SF64 songs, but with a full orchestra, and man are they epic. The new compositions are great as well. Visually, the game looks nice for the most part. The arwing sections are the coolest looking ones.

For those looking for a classic Star Fox experience, If you can look past the lack of content, the mediocre ground missions, and the poor representations of the Star Fox characters, you might find some satisfaction in playing this game. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this game at all.

Score: 6.5
  4. AndrewC.
    Feb 20, 2007
    I absolutely love Star Fox and Star Fox 64. I absolutely hate this game. What went wrong? Well let's see here...Star Fox is supposed to be a SPACE SHOOTER, not some half-baked third-person shooter. The only redeeming quality in this game is the flight stages, but even those don't live up to the SF name. A truly disappointing effort in almost every way.
  5. meyeah
    Apr 5, 2007
    This game was ok but it should have been in first-person and they should have gotten rid of teh lock on with evrey gun.
  6. NintendoPSBox
    Feb 6, 2005
    It's a decent game, but not as impressive or good as Metroid Prime 2 or Ratchet and Clank 3.
  7. BenG.
    May 28, 2005
    Honestly, this game is just above average. It has good flying missions, mediocre on-foot missions, mediocre multiplayer, and a retarded story. Not nearly as great as the epic Starfox: 64. Just buy something better that Nintendo has to offer, like Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime.
  8. Guy!
    May 24, 2007
    This game has the best sci-fi concept since star wars. The special affects threw me and the game was almost too exciting. The third person shooting on foot is a good idea, but the weapons on foot are almost as stupid as the gadgets on spy kids. Also, the lame anime junk has got to go. On the whole, definently worth playing.
  9. Puffy
    Nov 22, 2005
    star fox assut is more like the n64 n super nintendo versions of the game .. its ok .... but really not as good as star fox adventure...the mutlyplyer aspect is pretty fun... but it is easy to get lost... the missons are ok... lot of the ground missons remind me of star wars... the sounds n all.....u can tell it even the look of star fox reminds u of star wars on the ground ....i like star fox assut is more like the n64 n super nintendo versions of the game .. its ok .... but really not as good as star fox adventure...the mutlyplyer aspect is pretty fun... but it is easy to get lost... the missons are ok... lot of the ground missons remind me of star wars... the sounds n all.....u can tell it even the look of star fox reminds u of star wars on the ground ....i like star fox adventrue better...but if ur lookin for a flyin game like the n64 n super nintendo one this one has it ......but ito me i really didnt like it .... i rent this first if i were u ......i boarrowed from a friend for few days ....its just a average game.. nothin speaial. Expand
  10. Dec 11, 2011
    The on-rail shooter levels gave me everything I hoped for. Beautiful graphics, smooth controls, plenty of enemies to shoot at (and Slippy getting shot at, like always), and challenging bosses. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there were only 3 of them. Wing riding was was a creative new addition, but there were only 2 levels with that, too. The rest are ground levels, for which theThe on-rail shooter levels gave me everything I hoped for. Beautiful graphics, smooth controls, plenty of enemies to shoot at (and Slippy getting shot at, like always), and challenging bosses. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there were only 3 of them. Wing riding was was a creative new addition, but there were only 2 levels with that, too. The rest are ground levels, for which the controls I found to be, frankly, lacking. It was a good idea, but they simply didn't execute it properly. One thing that helped the game overall was it's epic soundtrack. So to wrap it up, they needed a greater emphasis on traditional rail shooter levels, less ground levels, AND better controls for them. Expand

#5 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#5 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. Weekly Famitsu
    8 / 8 / 7 / 8 - silver [Vol. 846]
  2. While certainly not perfect – the game is short and could have benefited greatly from LAN or online multiplayer support – there really isn't a more versatile arcade-style shooter for the GameCube system.
  3. Undone by the clunky and unpolished on-foot missions. Star Fox: Assault is a missed opportunity for the developers to resurrect the series, which means you probably should give this a miss too.