Super Monkey Ball 2 GameCube

• Release Date: Aug 25, 2002
8.6

1. LeviT.
    Jun 7, 2003
    Incredibly fun and deep single player game, along with the most insanely fun multiplayer mini-games ever.
  2. AdamB.
    Apr 6, 2003
    This is the best party game I've ever played. Easy to pick up, impossible to master. I've spent more time playing this game than any in my life. It's incredible!
  3. ChristianC.
    Jun 10, 2005
    So fun they really upgraded with better games wow wow better and funner places to do story I thought the story was dumb but its too fun there they really upgraded it im impressed so fun but the bored level still there if you play like 30 min.
  4. DarkTranquillity
    Sep 6, 2002
    SMB2 has got to be the best value on the GC. There's 15 separate games, all of which are incredibly fun. The main game is basically a 3D version of the Nes classic Marble Madness. That comparison doesn't really do SMB2 justice though. There are 150 courses here, while Marble Madness only has 7 or 8. Some of the SMB2 labyrinths are very challenging due to a slow, yet consistent SMB2 has got to be the best value on the GC. There's 15 separate games, all of which are incredibly fun. The main game is basically a 3D version of the Nes classic Marble Madness. That comparison doesn't really do SMB2 justice though. There are 150 courses here, while Marble Madness only has 7 or 8. Some of the SMB2 labyrinths are very challenging due to a slow, yet consistent increase in difficulty over the many stages. I imagine the course designers laughing it up at how devious some of the labyrinths are. My only complaint with SMB2 are occasional stutters in frame rate, and the camera sometimes isn't perfect. Both are very minor quibbles, and certainly don't detract from the fun. Expand
    Oct 21, 2004
    ThiS GamE Is HoT.
  6. DannyG.
    Sep 23, 2002
    Great. excellent singleplayer, excellent multiplayer. i'd recommend it to anyone w/ more than one controller.
  7. Adam
    Aug 10, 2005
    I love this game.the mini games rule.
  8. KevinC.
    Oct 13, 2002
    This Game is fun but it is very frustrating so for those who like frustration this is your game!!!!!!
  9. JohnB.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I think we all should ignore the last and lowest scored review of this game because all he basically bashes this game about is sound and graphics and personally I don't that's what a game's about. There's just one word for this game: amazing. I have never used this much of my motor, hand-eye coordination, or reflexive skills in any other game in a long time. The great I think we all should ignore the last and lowest scored review of this game because all he basically bashes this game about is sound and graphics and personally I don't that's what a game's about. There's just one word for this game: amazing. I have never used this much of my motor, hand-eye coordination, or reflexive skills in any other game in a long time. The great thing about this game is that it not only takes serious skill to beat it, but it isn't too frustrating and isn't impossible to beat. It has some of the most innovative gameplay I have ever seen. I think this series could really be going somewhere regardless of its corniness and immaturity. Could it possibly be a replacement for Sonic the Hedgehog...? Hmmmm...I hope not, but the recent Sonic games haven't been to great either. Expand
  10. JeremiahS.
    Jul 17, 2004
    Simply amazing...and I thought the music was really awesome!
  11. RyanM.
    Sep 21, 2002
    It's everything that the first one wasn't. It has to be one of the best multiplayer experiences of all-time!
  12. Jun 9, 2013
    Super Monkey Ball finds the player as a monkey encapsulated inside a see through ball and then presented with a number of challenges to complete. In single player this largely involves traversing a series of Marble Madness style mazes within a set time period. As one would expect these mazes are relatively simple to begin but soon become increasingly difficult. The controls and levelSuper Monkey Ball finds the player as a monkey encapsulated inside a see through ball and then presented with a number of challenges to complete. In single player this largely involves traversing a series of Marble Madness style mazes within a set time period. As one would expect these mazes are relatively simple to begin but soon become increasingly difficult. The controls and level design are excellent but some of the mazes later in the game can seem to rely more on luck than skill and this can become very frustrating. Very few players will see it out all the way to the end.

The biggest addition from the first title is the inclusion of a host of new multiplayer games (now making twelve in total) for up to four players. Many of these, such as monkey bowling and monkey golf are good for filling in half an hour or so but monkey target is good enough to be a game all by itself. This sees the player attempting to land the monkey on targets floating in the ocean with points being awarded depending on where you land. As other players can knock you off the target it often becomes very tactical and is superb fun with three other players.

Overall Super Monkey Ball 2 is amongst the best multiplayer games available on the Gamecube and since it can be played on Wii would make a great addition to anyone’s collection.
  13. Jan 21, 2012
    I don't understand why, but the gamecube has the most cute and addictive games ever. Animal crossing, and then now this? Great game for its time, including a plethora of minigames. This includes rowing, on rails shooter, and boxing. There's then the main story which has ~100 levels i believe. Cant remmeber
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is simply astonishing. The gameplay is simple, fun and addicting, the level design is great, the difficulty is hard yet fair, the graphics are great for the Gamecube, and the music is amazing.
    It's basically like another Marble-Labyrinth-type game, but it's probably the best and most unique of the bunch. It's also an amazing sequel, fixing all the problems that the first had, and expanding upon it.
    There are 159 different stages in this game, counting the Bonus, Extra, and Master Levels.
    There is also a ton of replay value with the extra stages, bonus stages, and the plethora of mini games to play with your friends, but if those aren't your thing, you can always just play the main game with your friends in Challenge Mode.
    The game can get very frustrating at times, especially with levels like "Arthropod", "Warp", and "Labyrinth", just to name a few. However, if you are able to complete all three difficulties of Challenge Mode and the extra stages, you'll unlock The Master Stages: the Ultimate Monkey Challenge.
    The Master Stages is a collection of the 20 hardest and most frustrating levels in this game, but if you have enough skill and patience, you can overcome them.
    This game is amazing. From the addicting Main Game, to the chaotic Party games, to the insane Master Stages, it is amazing in nearly every way. I'm very surprised that the game somewhat faded into obscurity among Gamecube owners, because this is honestly one of the best games on the console. Buy it now.
  15. Oct 20, 2013
    Such an addicting game. I know I'm writing a review of a game that came out many years ago but honestly, It is well deserved. AV never ceases to amaze. Great replay value!
  16. Nov 7, 2013
    Fantastic... Very fun and has incredible ideas and graphics for being published in 2002, meaning it was probably the best game ever put out when ahead of its time. It allows you to earn points to get new minigames, and has nice sound effects and music on some of them. Monkey Ball will probably be the best kid/ cute game ever to come out by Sega. It recently came out with a new 3ds game,Fantastic... Very fun and has incredible ideas and graphics for being published in 2002, meaning it was probably the best game ever put out when ahead of its time. It allows you to earn points to get new minigames, and has nice sound effects and music on some of them. Monkey Ball will probably be the best kid/ cute game ever to come out by Sega. It recently came out with a new 3ds game, which allows you to view the gaming in 3d. The new game is not only fun and has ideas that are like the Smash Brothers and Mario Kart put out Nintendo, but is also very cheap. Monkey Ball will probably transfor to the Wii U at some point, and other consuls as well. Super Monkey Ball 2 has already been transfored to the Xbox if you dont have a gamecube, buy this game ASAP. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2015
    If you want a fun and challenging sequel with excellent multiplayer and solo mode, then this is the prefect game for you. This game's predecessor was flawed, and the game fixed any and all issues with the game. You may not believe me when I say this, but this game is literally perfect. This game defined the Super Monkey Ball series for me. The game is expansive and has lots to unlock, toIf you want a fun and challenging sequel with excellent multiplayer and solo mode, then this is the prefect game for you. This game's predecessor was flawed, and the game fixed any and all issues with the game. You may not believe me when I say this, but this game is literally perfect. This game defined the Super Monkey Ball series for me. The game is expansive and has lots to unlock, to play, and to have fun with your friends. All the stages are great in their own way. But believe me, this game can get HARD. Like, really hard. Beginners, I recommend you try the beginner stages. The game's modes are very unique and are lots of fun both in solo and multiplayer. By far, the best aspect is the simplicity. Even if this is you very first time playing Super Monkey Ball, even a game in general, then no need to crack open a manual. The game lets inexperienced and experienced players alike play the game with ease, though the game gets very hard. The levels are so much more expansive than in the first.

Scores

Solo: 10/10
    Multiplayer: 10/10
    Controls: 10/10
    Replay Value: 10/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Sound: 10/10

Final Score: 10/10 (God-Tier)

1. Easily the game's greatest strength is its simplicity — there's no need to "monkey around" with complicated controls or even crack open the manual for that matter.
  2. The levels are so much more diverse, so much more rich, solid, 3 dimensional even, than in the first - the levels just move so much more.
  3. The extra game modes add quite a bit to the simple concept. [Feb 2003, p.96]