3.6

1. Sep 30, 2014
    There are 2 kinds of Civ players:

There are 2 kinds of Civ players:

PC fans who grew up playing 40 hour games of civ and love its slow pace and deep complexity. These players hate Civ Rev because its too "simple" and games are too "quick" and the computer "cheats". They are turned off by it from the get go and play it with a chip on their shoulder and write angry 1-3 score reviews. Then there are players who never really got into civ on the PC for various reasons: they are very slow paced with games spanning weeks, nothing really flashy or exciting is happening. Civ rev is flashy, colorful, fast-paced (only compared to civ) and no less as complex and brilliant as any civ game.

Playing the same game that I have for PS3 on my iPhone 4s is pretty crazy. There seems to be only minor changes, such as a slightly smaller world, 5 player games and military units are in groups of 1-3 (A unit of 9 has 9 "heath bars" under it but is only represented in battle by 3 units).

There are several subtle balance changes, such as city with walls with a ranged unit can make a ranged attack so you aren't so devastated by a naval assault, and I never got an option to flip a city using a great person. More wonders, more tech more units.

Its pretty easy to play once you get the hang of it. The only thing you cant see mt do is micro-mange your city, you have to pick a general focus such as food or production. This will annoy die hard fans but its not game breaking.

The difficulty complaints are silly. New players should not be playing on the hardest difficulty. Once you get good at the game you always win on Emperor so you move to Diety where the computer has an unfair advantage. The game is so brilliant and complex that if you are really good you can still win regularly when all your opponents have an unfair advantage. Playing with your back against the wall and still emerging is deeply satisfying for veteran players.

The IGN review is total bogus - I never had one second of slowdown on an iPhone 4S with 20+ cities to control. Every civ is just as aggressive and difficult to dominate as the consoles. Its very disappointing - if civ rev was not made by Sid Meier and people dint expect it to be something different it could flourish. This game is brilliantly tactical and a whole lot of fun.

The main thing that is really disappointing is that there is no multiplayer. Other than that it's probably the most fun and complex game for the iPhone, a hidden gem behind all the haters. My advice to you is to drop the $15 just to see if you're like me and find civ rev to be one of the best games of all time. If not, at least you supported it so that one day I might see another console release, and I appreciate your contribution.

A solid mobile game, a shoddy Civ game. It gets boring after a measly two hours session, which is a subpar effort for this type of game. [Issue#244]
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    No multiplayer is a blow, but this off-shoot's return is otherwise compelling. [Oct 2014, p.67]
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    I am certainly not disillusioned by the fact that I only get a Civ light on the tablet. But rather by the little progress the game has made in five years and the price politics: You’ll get the in most aspects better predecessor for free. And while you’re at it, you might want to check out Desert Fox, Eclipse or Ravenmark.