• Publisher: PopCap
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2013
5.4

1. Jul 23, 2013
    The only reason the user reviews are so low is because PvZ 2 was delayed in the USA so that they would not have any server issues like Sim City had. I am sure that when it comes out in just a few days it will be fantastic. If you are in Australia or New Zealand, you are enjoying it right now. Love the original game!
  2. Jul 23, 2013
    Wow, this hate is overwhelmingly unreasonable. The majority of haters probably didn't even play it yet. Something that's delayed does not have anything to do with the quality. A great, fun, and casual but packed-with-content game as good as the first installment in the series, if not better.
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    After about a 5 days in, this is my second review, one that comes with a broader understanding as to how a free to play game can actually be done properly and fairly to any given player. I originally gave it a 6 because I thought that paying for a plant/upgrade/level was greedy. In hindsight, it's quite the opposite. Yes, it will be far more challenging and difficult to go about thisAfter about a 5 days in, this is my second review, one that comes with a broader understanding as to how a free to play game can actually be done properly and fairly to any given player. I originally gave it a 6 because I thought that paying for a plant/upgrade/level was greedy. In hindsight, it's quite the opposite. Yes, it will be far more challenging and difficult to go about this without paying for anything.. But it's very possible and actually added a new twist in that it challenged me to play without 'cheating' and going the lazy route.

First off, the game play is absolutely stellar, retina or not (I have a feeling an HD version will surface at a price sometime soon). The new concept makes it easily the best tower defense game out there with a familiar yet fresh take on the beloved first edition. The new plants and zombies made me laugh out loud and displayed how much effort went into this title. As much as I adore the first, this has already become my fav and it is beyond addictive (in a great way). On another note, because I'm a huge fan and want to support devs and creations like this, I have absolutely no problem paying for it. The beauty lies in the fact that they have given me a choice. Playing for free (with the ability to acquire everything) or pay at my own discretion. Again, brilliant and it exemplifies how to do a play for free title properly.

Pop cap, you have officially become my favorite developer and PVZ2 is now the best game I've yet to play on the iOS. P. S. If you don't want to wait for this gem, do what I did and simply change your location in settings to Australia or New Zealand. This Canadian has been enjoying the down under version early thanks to YouTube! If you liked the first one, don't hesitate to grab this beautiful addition. If you're new, then you're in for one of the most fun games you'll ever play on your phone or ipad. Sorry android, like all of the best titles, you're going to have to wait.
  4. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is way and I mean way better then the first one. And the first one cost money! This app has amazing cinematography and a new look and feel to it that makes you not able to turn off the game.
    Because its free, it is a must get for anyone!
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    Newsflash to everyone hating the free to play model, you don't need to pay a DIME to enjoy or finish this game. Seriously, the only reason you need to pay anything is if you want shortcut. Yes the premium plants do cost money but you don't need them, there are plenty of good plants in the game for free. You also don't need to pay for coins, the game is pretty generous in the amount ofNewsflash to everyone hating the free to play model, you don't need to pay a DIME to enjoy or finish this game. Seriously, the only reason you need to pay anything is if you want shortcut. Yes the premium plants do cost money but you don't need them, there are plenty of good plants in the game for free. You also don't need to pay for coins, the game is pretty generous in the amount of coins it hands out to you. This is a free to play model that actually works. Now that we got that out of the way on to the game.

Plants vs. Zombies 1 was a fantastic game, one of the best "Tower Defense- esque" games ever made in my opinion. This one is not quite up to par with the first one though.

The Maps: The first had 3 different maps that invoked 3 more involved strategies. When you include the night cycle (which is missing from this one) it offered many different styles of gameplay. This one does have 3 different maps but I found the strategies to be pretty similar on all levels except for needing to use one or two different plants. The star challenges do offer a bit of variety on each map but it gets predictable. Overall the designs are good but I found myself wanting more of a variety in levels.

Zombies: It is a solid collection of bad guys to fend off but I found myself missing quite a few zombies from the first one. It was odd that they did not include a couple of types like the gargantuar or zombie bob sled team.

Plants: Not as much of a variety but that is understandable since there are no swimming/flying zombies and there is no night cycle. A couple of stand outs are the Lightning Reed and Snap Dragon, the Snap Dragon is very powerful for the cost.

Powerups: A nice addition to the game though this obviously aims at making money. While you don't really need to use the special attacks or purchase plant food that often they do make many maps much easier and you get plenty enough coins to not need to use real money. You are forced to use the special attacks to get some of the stars( in specific the ones that force you to not spend anything for 60+ seconds) as it is impossible to not lose lawnmowers in those levels which is annoying.

Overall it is a fun game and the free to play models does not bother me, I did not pay anything and beat the game. It is not as good as the first but unique in its own way, I highly recommend this to any fans of plants vs. zombies 1.
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    Wow what an unbelievable title. This is how sequels should be made with more content and strategies. The story and zombies are awesome.

Disregard the F2P concerns this game is designed to appeal to all!
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    I don't get why people hate this game. Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time is a solid iOS title and it will be coming to the Android and PC in the near future. The main reasons why this game is completely criticized is the IAP (In-App-Purchases) and the international delay (with the exception of New Zealand, Australia, and China), which are both completely stupid reason to hate on a gameI don't get why people hate this game. Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time is a solid iOS title and it will be coming to the Android and PC in the near future. The main reasons why this game is completely criticized is the IAP (In-App-Purchases) and the international delay (with the exception of New Zealand, Australia, and China), which are both completely stupid reason to hate on a game and give it low scores. Delays happen people and sometimes for the greater good of the game. As for the IAP, I've gotten all stars on Ancient Egypt and Pirate Seas without purchasing any coin packs and without constantly using the Premium Plants that I bought (I have the US version incase you were curious). Yet people still say that it is "Impossible to obtain stars". This just baffles me to think that people will let something as stupid as IAP ruin a game. It might be because our generation is impatience but I enjoyed replaying levels to obtain stars. In my opinion it worked well for Plants Vs. Zombies and for its the replay value. Anyway enough about "other people's opinion" let's talk about mine a little more. Plants Vs. Zombies 2 is just as good as the original in its gameplay despite missing features like the Zen Garden and the Mini-games which will probably be added in future updates. There are a couple of new plants that stand out including the Bonk Choy, the Bloomerang, the Chili Bean, Pea Pod, the Lightning Reed, and the Snapdragon. There are also new gameplay mechanics like Plant Food and Power Ups. Plant Food is fun and a perfect idea for a Plants Vs. Zombies sequel. Plant Food allows plants to use Overpowered Attacks on Zombies, it can be obtain by buying it with the coins you earn in-game or dropped by green-glowing zombies (which are in every level presiding the introduction of Plant Food). Power-Ups are not my favorite of the bunch, you can buy power-ups with coins earned in game. These Power-ups allow you to use super-overpowered touch attacks on Zombies which doesn't work as well as Plant Food does because it takes away the element of the Tower-Defense in the game. IAP are completely optional but some like the Snow Pea, Jalapeno, and Torchwood are hard to resist. I've bought so far the Snow Pea, The Jalapeno, The Torchwood, and the Power Lily and that is all I've bought so far (I plant on getting all the Premium Plants just to have them and use them). I will never buy any coin packs because it is not worth it. I don't necessarily like the whole free-to-play thing slapped on to Plants Vs. Zombies 2 but I will not let something optional and that stupid ruin a wonderful gaming franchise for me. If anything I thing they do well with the free-to-play thing. Trust me I've played worst free-to-play games than this. Collapse
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    The overuse of IAPs is the only disappointment of an otherwise well improved, extremely fun and far more engaging sequel to one of the best games (mobile and otherwise) of our time.
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    A fun game for kids, it has a potential to be a blockbuster. There are some glitches but overall it is a great tile. Good job devs i 9 stars goes to you.
  10. Jul 7, 2015
    Plants vs. Zombies 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to 2009's 'Plants vs. Zombies'. There's tons of new characters, and the extra challenges in each level make it a much harder game than the first one. The game doesn't lose any of its charm in the new art and gameplay style.
  11. Jun 13, 2015
    As a free-to-play fan, I couldn't have asked for much more. It improves on the first one in lots of ways and offers a very fun experience. It makes me actually feel like a destroyer. Plants vs. Zombies 2 It's About Time is a must-have for anyone with an iOS device.
  12. Sep 5, 2013

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fantastic sequel, unhindered by its free to play model. Plant this on your device now! [Nov 2013, p.78]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time just works well in every way. The game makes good use of the Free to Play-model, with which you'll only pay for something to make it a bit easier for yourself. The game is just as enjoyable without spending a dime though.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    A big improvement on the first game, albeit one hampered by the free to play model. [Oct 2013, p.77]