8.4

1. Dec 17, 2013
    There's no words to describe the pure joy that I felt coming home to see that Christian Whitehead had finished with the remastered version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. No longer is this port buggy, full of frame rate issues, or poor audio quality, but now, it's at the top of it's game.

This was the first video game I ever played as a child, when my cousin thought I would enjoy it. She was right. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is my favorite in the Sonic franchise, and it maybe just my childhood nostalgia speaking, but it truly is an excellent game for anyone to play.

This game introduces us to Tails, Sonic's new sidekick. They run through a vast number of worlds trying to take down Robotnik from taking all their animal friends. They blaze through all sorts of environments that are full of beautiful colors and deadly traps to stop him.

What really sets the latest iOS update apart from the other ports and the original is that you now have more choice of how you want to play it. You can either choose to use a save state, or go the classic route and use no save state. Then, you can choose if you want to play as just Sonic, just Tails, Sonic and Tails, or even Knuckles. The world zooms by at 60 FPS, and the widescreen view allows for more of the action to be in view, helping you avoid fatal mistakes in your platforming. The special stages are much easier on the eye being much more polished, making rings and traps easier to see coming: a very welcome improvement.

There's also a time attack mode added for each stage and there's even a challenging boss attack mode. Perhaps the biggest addition in the latest remastered Sonic game is the Hidden Palace Zone. It's great to see scraped levels making a comeback, and hopefully, this trend will continue. They've even added the multiplayer parts of the game into an online experience. You can play with random people or with friends.

Overall, words cannot express my appreciation to Christian Whitehead for making this buggy port into something much more than even the original.
  2. Apr 8, 2016
    One of my favourite ios and android game , but this average game . In this game can play for Sonic , Tails and Knuckles . Very good zones and Sonic the hedgehog 2 on ios and android better than on Sega Mega Drive . 7/10 . Good game

1. Feb 21, 2011
    Despite everything that made Sonic 2 the top selling game for the SEGA Genesis being left in this iPhone port, it just can't stack up to the original 20 year old console system that defined a generation of gamers.
  2. Feb 21, 2011
    At best, it's an alright game, but everything good about it was good in 1992. The iPhone itself has added nothing, and you could get five better games on iTunes for the cost of one mediocre Genesis port.
  3. Feb 21, 2011
    Whether plowing through breakable walls, spinning along a corkscrew tunnel, or frantically running toward the finish line after grabbing Sonic's trademark power-up (his running shoes), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is all but a non-stop thrill-ride.