5.6

1. May 4, 2013
    A triumph of style and ambition over sense, logic and good design. In other words: it’s pretty but I found it painful to play. My quick verdict: don’t bother, and get FTL instead.

This is what would happen if you took the aims of FTL (command a starship) and rejected all the great design decisions FTL made, and crammed the result into a very pretty façade that features some of the most tedious micro-management of fiddly-to-control characters I’ve played in a while.

So many poor design decisions:

- there’s no tutorial that explains how ship weapons are fired, so look forward to spending at least the first couple of battles struggling to get what you’re supposed to do. Clever stuff.

- crew can only do one job at a time, and in order to switch their skill you have to slooooooowly march them over to the room that matches the skill you want them to have, then sloooooowly march them back to the area that requires attention. When you’re flooded with invaders and need to fight back, enjoy marching your team through the ship just for a change of wardrobe, then back to the invaders. God it’s tedious.

- rooms that require the production of specific ammo will not just keep making that ammo for you. You have to re-initiate production after each and every unit they produce. If you forget, which it’s incredibly easy to do, you’re stuffed. Why do this?

- the text style they chose is hideous and really hard to read. Fits the retro-look, but there’s a reason we don’t present screens of text like that any more: it’s horrible on the eyes.

- and God help anyone attempting to play this on an iPhone. I know plenty of people are doing, but they must have the patience of a saint, or incredibly high tolerance for frustration.

And that’s before we get onto the endlessly repetitive missions (go to a planet, sit through the screens of text, enter battle. Every time. No variation), and the fact that it’s perfectly possible to just send all your crew into one room, ignore ALL the damage your ship is taking, even the hull breaches, and wait it out until you grind the enemy shields down eventually.

But hey, it LOOKS nice…

In my personal opinion, despite lovely(ish) presentation and a whole heap of atmosphere, it eschews sense and logic to produce a game that just throws one frustration after another at you to draw out the play-time. I’ve no issue with hard games in which dying and starting again is all part of the appeal. That’s why I love FTL.

But this is just a mess of frustrations and after a couple of games, neither of which were ever much fun, I have no desire to play any more and an overwhelming urge to fire up FTL and run a starship with proper crew who don’t have to change their jersey just to fire a phaser.

Go get FTL for your PC or Mac, and don’t waste £2 on Star Command.
  2. May 9, 2013
    I don't know how they've cowed all the developers in to giving them favorable reviews. I just bought the game and have been playing it and can tell you that they are all bogus. Star Command is incomplete, has shoddy controls and I wish there was a return policy for software. A game is not the sum of its screen shots or media outlet reviews, buyer beware.

I would wait to purchase this game.
  3. May 6, 2013

Calling this a "good" game is not doing the game industry any favours.

I wanted Star Command to a "good" game, it had potential to be a GREAT game, but unfortunately missed the mark on almost all aspects. I spent most of my 3 hours playing this game wondering how they left out so many obvious features. So much so that it ultimately feels like 70% of a game. Poor controls make this more of a frustration than anything else. The story attempts to be funny but is mostly cringe worthy and completely uninspired. Your crew is borderline brain dead, standing in fire until death or walking their dumb asses right out of the gaping hole in the side of your ship etc.

I dont often write bad reviews, but I make this exception because I truly did want Star Command to be great, yet it feels more like a rushed cash grab which only becomes more frustrating given its huge dev cycle.

giving this game a good score only enables dev teams to pump more mediocre games into the market.

What a let down.
  4. Dec 2, 2013
    The game wants to be Faster Than Light but instead gives you the slowest gameplay ever. Essentially you can fire your weapons once a minute and each time you have to play a mini game to hit...you and mostly invincible as well.
  5. Sep 26, 2013
    I picked this up via the September 26, 2013 Humble bundle, Played the android version all the way through. Let me start by saying this: the graphics are nice, the music is nice, but the gameplay and lack of challenge are where this "game" falls flat on it's face. Throughout the game there was ZERO sense of danger in battle, my shields were EASILY refilling way before the enemy everI picked this up via the September 26, 2013 Humble bundle, Played the android version all the way through. Let me start by saying this: the graphics are nice, the music is nice, but the gameplay and lack of challenge are where this "game" falls flat on it's face. Throughout the game there was ZERO sense of danger in battle, my shields were EASILY refilling way before the enemy ever attacked again, I never had to use dodge or shield boost, and I could leave the game sitting for hours in a battle and never die! Combat goes like this: Enemy always hits you first, you take a little shield damage, your shields are full before the next salvo. You wait, and wait some more as your weapons charge up. You push the weapon button, this starts a little minigame where you tap at the right time to fire your weapons, the better you do, the less time you will waste "in battle". Continue this until the enemy is out of health 10 minutes later. Hooray, repeat this fifteen times and you win the game! Good job you did two timing minigames a few hundred times. Only ONCE did I have my ship boarded and I assume that was because it was a tutorial mission with zombie cosmonauts. The only danger in the game is maybe two or three spots where your dialogue choice ends up having your ship get set on fire or boarded constantly during the fight. Additionally there is no diplomacy, and you don't actually customize your ship so much as choose two out of three weapons and two out of three special rooms. You also do not get to upgrade to a bigger ship unless you beat the game and do what is essentially newgame+, however the ship you have is invincible from the start so who cares about new playthroughs? Do not pay full price for this, it is NOT like FTL, and you will be disappointed and bored. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    I really want to enjoy Star Command, but unfortunately your crew makes this extremely difficult. They're dumber than a box of hammers.

"Tactical" crew will stand right next to enemies, getting shot and not returning fire. All crew types will stand in fire. Engineers will stand a few squares away from fire and do nothing to fix it. I even just had my captain walk all the way over to the other side of the ship during an invasion (with no user input) just to get sucked out of a hull breach. Trying to prevent your crew from killing themselves is often far more complicated than repelling an enemy.

If the absurd amount of micromanagement of a completely brain-dead crew was greatly diminished the game would be 100x more enjoyable. Until a patch is released that provides crew with even mildly sensible AI, I'd recommend avoiding Star Command.
  7. Sep 25, 2013
    I wanted this game to be good, so badly. I adored FTL and a mobile version, or any variant of that type of game is an exciting prospect. Unfortunately, the controls and micromanagement make the game absolutely horrific to play. I would often watch an engineer do nothing while the ship burned right in front of him, requiring you to click on his small person and move him a few stepsI wanted this game to be good, so badly. I adored FTL and a mobile version, or any variant of that type of game is an exciting prospect. Unfortunately, the controls and micromanagement make the game absolutely horrific to play. I would often watch an engineer do nothing while the ship burned right in front of him, requiring you to click on his small person and move him a few steps closer so he would actually do something about it. The crew has no urgency and walks everywhere, while the ship is being blasted to pieces around them. Instead of trying to plan and use strategy during a fight, such as with FTL, I find myself busily trying to just keep up with the obnoxious amount of micromanagement. It's a shame because I really wanted to have fun with this game, except the control scheme absolutely ruins it. Expand
  8. May 6, 2013

What a let down.

1. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a smooth and engaging time-eater. [Aug 2013, p.79]
  2. Jun 13, 2013
    Star Command could've been the most epic iSpace adventure, but unfortunately the game falls short. Real-time is the biggest downer, after an über-boring start, the game generates itself in to an super fast-paced. Style and ambition exceed the use of logic. [June 2013]
  3. Jun 1, 2013
    Star Command doesn't offer exploration through space or missions on exotic planets, but does provide you with rough confrontations with aggressive space ants, burning hallways, screaming crew members and a tantalizing story. The gameplay often doesn't surpass the manically tapping of pixilated characters on a burning ship and strangely enough that's enough to make you feel like a captain. Engage!