GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64
9.1

1. Dec 12, 2012
    It could be the nostalgia talking... but this is perhaps one of the greatest games of all time. It's definitely the best video game a movie has ever spawned, I can say that for certain.
  2. Nov 28, 2011
    I'd always loved this game me and my cousin would play this all day amazing game. i haven't played it in years and i guess it would be extremely bad.
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    i mean wow this game hits a home run big time for 2 reasons one it takes a movie based game and does it way better then the actaul movie and 2 it made the stagnent FPS market fun again after all the doom clones. this game is just hands down lots of fun . outside of just a fun story mode i had so much fun just messing around in the missions with the cheats . plus you have the first real funi mean wow this game hits a home run big time for 2 reasons one it takes a movie based game and does it way better then the actaul movie and 2 it made the stagnent FPS market fun again after all the doom clones. this game is just hands down lots of fun . outside of just a fun story mode i had so much fun just messing around in the missions with the cheats . plus you have the first real fun 4 player FPS multiplayer game . before Halo came out on the xbox this is what me and my friends would sit for hours and hours and play and just have so much fun doing it . this game maybe old and dated by todays standerds but i can still break out the N64 from storage and play this from time to time. that says alot about a game thats 13 or 14 years old now. Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2011
    Incredible. This game was perfect and the recent remake proves it's still perfect and proves you can't go back and tr to recreate a masterpiece. Even in gaming.
  5. Mar 1, 2011
    The best shooter of all time, it will never be replaced! The campaign is long, challenging (if you choose a harder difficulty) and the cheats you can use add hours more gameplay. A great story and the gameplay was unrivalled for its time, and is still one of the best games of all time.
  6. Aug 20, 2011
    After playing it recently, 14 years after its release, this is by far the best FPS game I've ever played. The levels are masterly designed. Each weapon has advantages and disadvantages. The ammo is neither too abundant nor too scarce. The difficulty is very progressive, so that the next mission is challenging, but not overkill. The AI, while harsh, is challenging and gives room toAfter playing it recently, 14 years after its release, this is by far the best FPS game I've ever played. The levels are masterly designed. Each weapon has advantages and disadvantages. The ammo is neither too abundant nor too scarce. The difficulty is very progressive, so that the next mission is challenging, but not overkill. The AI, while harsh, is challenging and gives room to strategy. And the health system ensures that you have to consider all those factors while playing. The replay value and the level of detail of this game tells us that the creators of this game enjoyed what they were doing. And we did, too. A yet unparalleled game worth playing. Expand
  7. Jan 6, 2012
    The game that started to change all the fps history is a unquestionable classic of n64. Stealth gave another perspective for shooters. If you´ve never played this game, don´t wast more time!
  8. Apr 2, 2012
    I spent so much time with this game its insane. I don't even know how many playthroughs and missions and multiplayer and hundreds of hours. All I know is that for me, this game was revolutionary are absolutely brilliant. Don't let ripoffs of the name on inferior titles deceive you...this game was outstanding and a masterpiece. Way ahead of its time. It's assuredly a classic, and I'm glad II spent so much time with this game its insane. I don't even know how many playthroughs and missions and multiplayer and hundreds of hours. All I know is that for me, this game was revolutionary are absolutely brilliant. Don't let ripoffs of the name on inferior titles deceive you...this game was outstanding and a masterpiece. Way ahead of its time. It's assuredly a classic, and I'm glad I can give it the 10 / 10 it undoubtedly deserves. Expand
  9. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of the best games of all time. A true classic. A game that will always stand the test of time. Always a blast to play. So many great memories with this game. I still listen to the soundtrack.
  10. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok I want to first say that Goldeneye IS the reason that Perfect Dark exists. I've read of couple reviews here it seems some people are completely unaware that Perfect Dark is in fact a Rare game (just like Goldeneye) and that Perfect Dark came out 3 years after Goldeneye using a modified Goldeneye engine. Perfect Dark is literally a copy and paste game that improved on everythingOk I want to first say that Goldeneye IS the reason that Perfect Dark exists. I've read of couple reviews here it seems some people are completely unaware that Perfect Dark is in fact a Rare game (just like Goldeneye) and that Perfect Dark came out 3 years after Goldeneye using a modified Goldeneye engine. Perfect Dark is literally a copy and paste game that improved on everything Goldeneye did so downgrading Goldeneye because you think Perfect Dark is better is just plane asinine. Of course it's better it came out 3 years afterwards and is made by the same damn company!

Anyways now onto Goldeneye.

In my opinion Goldeneye is one of the greatest console shooters of all time. The countless hours my friends and I spent on this game playing 4 player split screen on a 26in tube. "You're screen watching!" Who didn't shout that while playing this game? Now it'll be hard to convince a 9 year old today that this is an amazing game that is an absolute blast but for those who truly appreciate video games and the time when video games brought friends into your household for hours and hours of shooting glory defending a bathroom, this is a timeless classic. Sure the graphics are completely outdated and you only have one analog stick to use but sometimes you have to step back in time and appreciate a classic that helped launch console shooters into the future.
  11. Mar 16, 2012
    Every once in a while I get nostalgic about this game and remember how great it was and how gaming innovation went down from there. The singleplayer mode is linked to the movie and each mission is introduced with a little text to read so: true, some expensive story telling is missing here. AI characters behaved quite predictable, but still extremely well back then (e.g. viewing angles,Every once in a while I get nostalgic about this game and remember how great it was and how gaming innovation went down from there. The singleplayer mode is linked to the movie and each mission is introduced with a little text to read so: true, some expensive story telling is missing here. AI characters behaved quite predictable, but still extremely well back then (e.g. viewing angles, response to gunfire nearby) and never got stuck badly.
    +++
    But playing the singleplayer mode is only one side of the medal. In times of no Internet for the average mortal human and good old couch gaming GoldenEye was the most exciting FPS multiplayer games. Split screen hindered sneaking action, but on quite huge maps it's always better to find each other than to wander around all alone. This game has a huge variety of guns and gadget put together in selectable weapon sets, partiality not balanced, but in a console gaming environment you are always free to apply house rules -- even health could be modified to give experienced players a handicap and keep balance. Most game types offered an interesting mixture of challenge and team dynamics. +++
    Even cheats in this game were a nice nice gimmick as few of them also applied to the multiplayer mode and they did not make you a lazy player as you had to unlock them as "achievements" in the singleplayer mode.
    +++
    All in all this game is still awesome besides its graphics compared to modern games. FPS games today are trying to much to have fancy leveling and unlocking systems while GoldenEye has almost everything a FPS game needs to be fun and innovative.
  12. Nov 19, 2010
    Best game of all time. Hands down. Can't count how many nights I stayed up playing this game with friends. I hope the Wii version is even half as good...if so, it will be a winner too.
  13. Mar 5, 2011
    Often considered the greatest first person shooter of all time, Goldeneye 007 set the bar of quality in what is to be expected from a console shooter and started a trend that made it's genre then most dominant in the industry. Really a perfect mix of fun and realism that allows for novice players to feel like the famous secret agent and more skilled players to take pride in beating theOften considered the greatest first person shooter of all time, Goldeneye 007 set the bar of quality in what is to be expected from a console shooter and started a trend that made it's genre then most dominant in the industry. Really a perfect mix of fun and realism that allows for novice players to feel like the famous secret agent and more skilled players to take pride in beating the game on it's harder difficulties featuring more objectives and faster, stronger, enemies. The multiplayer is addictive and endlessly customizable to insure that there is never a dull moment when a friend comes over. An FPS title that has yet to be over shadowed in more than 14 years later. Expand
  14. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is the ONLY reason I got an N64. I played the missions over and over and over. To today's standards (2011) it is a little corny with poor graphics, AI, etc. but at the time, there was nothing like it. It's like how Pac Man was the sh*# back in the day. Or how He Man had the biggest balls ever (unlike now when I watched an episode it only seems like he wants to suck balls).This game is the ONLY reason I got an N64. I played the missions over and over and over. To today's standards (2011) it is a little corny with poor graphics, AI, etc. but at the time, there was nothing like it. It's like how Pac Man was the sh*# back in the day. Or how He Man had the biggest balls ever (unlike now when I watched an episode it only seems like he wants to suck balls). Groundbreaking for the time. Any fan of FPS should go back to school and take a lesson from the grand daddy of all console shooters. Expand
  15. May 20, 2014
    In 2013 I played this game recently and let me tell you something this game aims automatically but if you put the game's difficulty to hard you are not going to aim automatically making it a difficult ride. But enjoyable non the less it's soundtrack captivated the james bond movie feel and also it's plot. But the main attraction of this game is the multi-player mode that created fun upIn 2013 I played this game recently and let me tell you something this game aims automatically but if you put the game's difficulty to hard you are not going to aim automatically making it a difficult ride. But enjoyable non the less it's soundtrack captivated the james bond movie feel and also it's plot. But the main attraction of this game is the multi-player mode that created fun up to four players with radars to detect were the other player go to and with it's masterful graphics for it's time created an adrenaline rush to play it hours straight a day despite it's shorter than the legend of zelda ocarina of time but I consider this equal to Golden Eye a 9.255 the best n64 game of all time. Expand
  16. Jun 29, 2012
    Wow! The memories! Best multiplayer. Before Halo & Call of Duty this game was king of the shooters. Of course it's dated now. But still it's fun to play. These were the days.
  17. Feb 28, 2014
    What comes as a nice surprise and sticks out like a sore thumb is the game's depth, atmosphere and detail. Well animated characters and intuitive AI, realistic settings and interactive backgrounds sound effects are crisp along with music based on the movie. Ricocheting bullets, the clinky-clonky noise of footsteps just gives this first-person game that feeling of elegance and there isWhat comes as a nice surprise and sticks out like a sore thumb is the game's depth, atmosphere and detail. Well animated characters and intuitive AI, realistic settings and interactive backgrounds sound effects are crisp along with music based on the movie. Ricocheting bullets, the clinky-clonky noise of footsteps just gives this first-person game that feeling of elegance and there is enough content even on 'Agent' difficulty to keep players occupied for a decent amount of time. Overall the game is executed marvelously both single player and multiplayer, it is by far one of the best shooters to grace the generation even to this day leaving players shaken and most definitely stirred. Expand
  18. Dec 19, 2013
    This game not only survives the test of time but comes out of that test with An A++. This game proved that shooters could work on console and no it's not jus nostalgia it's still fun today.
  19. Dec 25, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played, was my favorite N64 game when I was younger. I still play it today every now and then and it never becomes boring.
  20. Jun 10, 2012
  21. Jul 4, 2014
    Uno de esos juegos que deben de pasar a la historia. Como juego singlepayer ya es una obra maestra, pero si le sumamos el endiabladamente divertido multiplayer, estamos ante una bomba de diversión de meses y meses. Fue un adelantado a su tiempo en casi toda su concepción. Un 10 se le queda pequeño a algo tan épico.
  22. May 28, 2012
    Where did the FPS make its leap from Doom and quake to the games we know these days? This right here. The worlds greatest movie game. Thats right movie game. Can you imagine any games based on movies today being anywhere near as good as this?
  23. May 22, 2012
    Only the fact that you can one-shot ppl with od-jobs hat in multiplayer gives this game a 10. And even when thats said the game has some awsome maps. Remember sitting for hours to get through the 00-difficulty. Challenges in games, gotta love it.
  24. May 22, 2012
    The first serious and truly understand as a masterpiece FPS in consoles. There was moments of action, infiltration, you had to use gadgets and there were a wide arrange of different maps and situations. The multiplayer for 4 was one of the best things. Very hard game in the 007 difficulty.
  25. Aug 6, 2012
    This game hasn't aged as well as I would have expected, but in its day it set the bar for FPS games. I spent countless hours playing multiplayer against my siblings and cousins, or dicking around with cheats in single player (oh the nostalgia!). As a big fan of James Bond--and Goldeneye in particular--I was disappointed by the VERY week story in the game, but the gameplay more than made up for it.
  26. Sep 5, 2012
    This game is the REASON we have games like Call of Duty. GoldenEye literally revolutionized the multiplayer FPS, and the people who owned and played this game will NEVER forget it. This game was the highlight of my 15th birthday, we stayed up all night playing this game. They were pretty pissed though because I went 50-0 in 4 player using the golden gun :) Not only did this game have theThis game is the REASON we have games like Call of Duty. GoldenEye literally revolutionized the multiplayer FPS, and the people who owned and played this game will NEVER forget it. This game was the highlight of my 15th birthday, we stayed up all night playing this game. They were pretty pissed though because I went 50-0 in 4 player using the golden gun :) Not only did this game have the best multiplayer ever, it was also a blast and challenge to play single player on all the difficulties. This was also very rewarding because you unlock secret levels. Everything about this game was so awesome back in 1997, and honestly if I still had this and my 64 I'd play it today. Expand
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    This game revolutionized FFS for sure. The story was great the golden gun made me **** myself and this game was for sure ahead of its time. Def one of the best N64 games ever
  28. Jan 21, 2013
    Goldeneye 007, a game that I'm sure everyone with a N64 owns and for a good reason. To start with the range of weapons was quite large and still managed to stay intresting for each gun which is impressive even by todays standards. The music in the game stands among some of the best in gaming history and always fits the mood making you feel on edge and ready to fight. The graphics are myGoldeneye 007, a game that I'm sure everyone with a N64 owns and for a good reason. To start with the range of weapons was quite large and still managed to stay intresting for each gun which is impressive even by todays standards. The music in the game stands among some of the best in gaming history and always fits the mood making you feel on edge and ready to fight. The graphics are my only complaint but not for a bad reason, the graphics get the job done and are decent (even by the N64's standards) but thats it which is slightly disapointing for an otherwise perfect game. Then there's the multiplayer which is the main reason this game is so popular, with four player split screen and loads of great maps playing them felt awesome and unique, unlike modern game's online maps which feel to familiar and boring. Other all this game is one of the best ever for it's time and even now it's easy to enjoy. Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    It's 10pm on a Saturday when I walk into the party. It's a group of old friends and I'm the new guy that no one knows. A couple guys and girls are huddled around the TV playing a familiar game. Goldeneye 64. I pick up the controller and immediately start taking names. As C3PO would say "I am now part of the tribe". And that's what Goldeneye 64 is --- not a game but a cultural touchstoneIt's 10pm on a Saturday when I walk into the party. It's a group of old friends and I'm the new guy that no one knows. A couple guys and girls are huddled around the TV playing a familiar game. Goldeneye 64. I pick up the controller and immediately start taking names. As C3PO would say "I am now part of the tribe". And that's what Goldeneye 64 is --- not a game but a cultural touchstone for anyone who grew up playing shooters in the 90s. When Goldeneye was released, using a PC was the only credible way to play an FPS. Sure, there were ports of Doom and Wolfenstein to consoles, but they were not worth their salt. Then came Goldeneye and the paradigm was shifted forever, paving the way for the likes of Halo and Call of Duty. Goldeneye was the first game to credibly use a gamepad to control an FPS. And while the sprawling maps and stealth mechanic of the single-player campaign offered hours of great content, it was the split-screen multiplayer that made this game a true classic. As a lifelong fan of James Bond who has been playing FPS since the original Wolfenstein, Goldeneye hits a sweet spot with me that few games have rivaled before or since. Is it as good as you remember? Of course not, the FPS genre has taken monumental leaps forward since this game was released and the clumsy N64 controller is a medieval torture device compared to modern gamepads. Is it still worth playing. Of course! Goldeneye 64 is like the Casablanca of video games. It may be old but it's still better than most of what has come since. Expand
  30. Aug 5, 2013
    You're gonna want the Honest answer, This games Multiplayer was everything back in the day and to this day is still being played competitively, I cannot fathom how many hours, days, weeks, MONTHS was spent playing against someone with some of the most fun extras ever made in a FPS, Big head mode anyone? Paint-ball?

And sadly that is the only bold statement of this game, because frankly

And sadly that is the only bold statement of this game, because frankly aside from the Dam level, the use of the watch laser on the train and the final level, I cannot remember all too well the single player experience, that was an experience RARE perfected in "Perfect Dark".

But still does that matter? Obviously if you heard the story behind development, Nintendo stopped funding it, Multiplayer was added in as an afterthought, The game was literally filled with bugs, how this game did not fall down to the ranks of generic movie tie-In game is beyond me!

Only RARE could salvage it, which I bring up for the sole purpose that other than the fairly well made Wii remake, Every bond game has either not lived up to the bar this one set, Or every Goddamn remake of this game for Xbox360/PS3 was incredibly disappointing!

Final Verdict: Out of all the problems RARE faced, they delivered one of Video Games most fondest social gaming memories of all time before online reigned supreme! Great game, even greater memories 9/10.

1. 7 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 31 silver
  2. Its strategy and story mixed in with the action make it a fantastic gaming experience.
  3. This is probably the best game you can get on the Nintendo 64.