Ogre Battle 64 Nintendo 64
9.6

1. Jan 26, 2012
    This game is my all time favorite. I have never had so much fun with a game. The game can be a little slow but everything about this game contributes to its feel. I wish this game would be ported to a newer system because the combat and art are unique and work perfectly. The combat can be complex and is strategic. The music cannot be ignored because the tunes are still lodged in my brain from when I last played....

I am not a great reviewer but the best thing I can say is that this is my favorite game of all time. 9.9 userscore...the people that played this game loved it enough to find it on metacritic and give it a positive review..
  2. May 29, 2012
    Challenging as hell this game is worthy of reverence. One of the best N64 games ever made. After a lot of thought I cannot find any negative aspect about this game. This is Perfection
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    Any negative aspects of this game seem like nit-picking to me, because almost every aspect of this game is fantastic. The graphics and music are very good, but more importantly the gameplay is enthralling. This RPG has pretty good amount of depth to it, and while you can manage without it, you'll probably find yourself frequently referencing online guides to understand the intricacies of the game mechanics (alignments, evolution sequences, special characters, etc.) The story is very interesting and well done, drawing you into a fascinating world of ever-increasing wonder and danger. There are numerous difficult decisions to make, and while the storyline is generally linear, you often do have multiple options for which location to visit next--sometimes with important ramifications. The game is fairly lengthy, which I consider a good thing, but it means that if you take a long break from it you might have difficulty remembering what's happened. One little downside is that once you've played it once and therefore know how cool it gets, the early levels can be tedious (fighting with weak, basic units, etc.), but on my first playthrough I enjoyed it just fine. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2012
    This to me is the greatest RPG of all time, it allows for amazing customization and will leave you playing for hours. Years before its time. I've beaten it at least 10 times and still want to play it.
  5. Oct 23, 2011
    first of all i must admit that im a strategy jrpg fan and can understand that this game will only appeal to a very specific kind of gamer once said that i can only say good things about this game(not true i guess)
    amazing story, beautiful visuals, great battle system, very deep customization, long and fun quest....
    a bit too easy at the end and difficult to get into at first
    but still
    an rpg masterpiece Expand
  6. Aug 30, 2012
    Extremely long, ridiculously in depth, and by far one of the most fulfilling turn-base role playing games (RPG) ever created. In the decade of the quick sensation video games, this title is no longer appreciated or pursued. This story line takes time to develop and the game can be ruthless at times, since when characters are killed and the user waits to long to revive, then characters will become apart of the undead and no longer be as they were. Also, the combination between elemental attacks were, relatively, unknown for when this title came out. This is a complete classic in the sense that if you put this in your Nintendo 64 today and took some time to learn the mechanics and play the game, then you would still have an amazing experience. Everything from elemental attacks to strategic placing, the alternate endings (which no game that I can think of had at that time), the abilities to change classes and equip weapons to each unit, to the strategic formation, and did I mention the numerous amount of characters to use, including dragons, ghosts, undead, humans, etc... This game has it all, all it needs is sometime for the user to learn the system and how things work, as all good in depth games do. Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2012
    I don't hand out 10's very frequently but this game I feel is deserving in every way. The story was compelling, the graphics were good for their time and the replay value was high due to the Chaos Frame and branching decisions impacting who could be recruited. While this all adds to the game's appeal, there were two main factors that forced me to pick a 10 for this game:

1. The game
    play is outstanding, from the RPG leveling and growth of your units, the customizable nature of the squads and the battles themselves all form a game that you enjoy all aspects of. You never feel like you're rushing through to get to the good stuff because it's all so good. 2. It is unique. Never before nor since have I found a game quite like Ogre Battle 64 - it's super Nintendo predecessor did not capture my attention in the same way nor has another game come out to replace it. This is a game that I still to this day dust off my N64 just to play once more through the story. Only a handful of games can same the same. If you've never played Ogre Battle 64 you owe it to yourself to give it a try! Expand

1. If you have the attention span of, say, George W. Bush you're not going to much out of Ogre Battle 64. Now go away.
  2. Ogre Battle 64 offers a detailed branching story and great depth of customization, both executed brilliantly within the limitations of a 35-meg cartridge.
  3. An excruciating experience that will bear some of the most rewarding gameplay experiences ever crafted... Quest has once again pulled off another masterpiece in the flawless Ogre Battle Saga.