The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo 64

9.1

1. Aug 22, 2015
    As many others i played this game as a child and loved it, i later went back to it and oh my..

If you actually play this critically nowadays this game is dead set in mediocrity. The combat is stale and centered around waiting for you enemies. The World is vast and empty. And the puzzles are centered around utilizing 3d space(because it was new) and NOTHING else! Worst of all the

The combat is stale and centered around waiting for you enemies.
    The World is vast and empty.
    Worst of all the whole world is centered around 3d objects set in a 2d recipe and it does not match! Enemies will at time appear on top of you or behind you and the camera is no use at those points it's only good for targeting.

Now i wouldn't go as far as to say that this game is bad but to me time has revealed a badly aged and poorly designed "classic"
  2. Oct 18, 2015
    This game is not as special as people say it is. Graphics, even if kinda basic, have aged decently, but the story is heavily borrowed from A Link To The Past and the gameplay is as vanilla as a 3D Zelda game gets. The dungeons are also not either as interesting as other Zelda games, but some of the puzzles are well designed. I think you can skip this one.
  3. Lev
    Aug 23, 2009
    I played this game only recently, 11 years after it's release, to see what the Zelda hype was about. And I have to say I was satisfied, more or less. The story is very generic and very weak, but I found the gameplay so much fun that eventually I couldn't put it down until I finished it. There are just so many things to do in this game,that, despite the lack of story or character I played this game only recently, 11 years after it's release, to see what the Zelda hype was about. And I have to say I was satisfied, more or less. The story is very generic and very weak, but I found the gameplay so much fun that eventually I couldn't put it down until I finished it. There are just so many things to do in this game,that, despite the lack of story or character development, it never really bored me. It lacks real depth, but who cares when it's this much fun to play. Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2013
    Yes I will not deny this is a good game.Maybe even a great game,But I think a lot of people talking about this game are blinded by nostalgia and it simply came out at the right time.
  5. Dec 11, 2013
    I know you won't believe this, it's hard to accept i know, but this game does not get a 10/10. I know the gods of gaming will smite me where i stand, but that's just how it is.
    Browsing the scores on this site, i get the feeling the hardcore fans don't understand what a 10/10 means. "despite it's flaws, its a great game. 10/10" this is not at all what a 10/10 is for. a 10/10 signifies perfection, a word lost in a language that overuses powerful words to the point of them becoming meaningless. A perfect game has no flaws, so if some review site or some person gives a game a 10/10, I completely ignore them and all they have to say about the game, because rational thought has left their brain pan before the conversation started.
    "but what about the game, you blasphemous old crone?" you watch your tongue, you. I'm getting to that.
    lets start this by saying I'm new to the N64 and the Zelda franchise, I bought my console and a bunch of games a couple of years ago because i wanted to know what all the fuss was about, "ocarina of time" this, "goldeneye" that. I thought i was really missing something, and i was! i have N64 parties and just play games all night, its loads of fun to just mariokart and goldeneye all night.
    But this ocarina, I don't know about it. I was struggling to stay focused, the camera angles and ambiguous graphics, not to mention the outrageously laughable controller really takes it's toll on the fun-o-meter. i simply can't have fun when I'm frustrated with the basic elements of game design.
    The point of a good game, i think, is to be good regardless of age. ultima 4, super mario bros. and populous weren't just good in the 80s, they are still classics and staples of good game design. nostalgia is not an adequate reason to be a great game. i played some games i thought were awesome as a child, and replaying them, I still enjoy them. But as i got older, i started breaking the mechanics and general game structure down and analyzing them, those games wouldn't really hold up. If i gave someone a copy of that game and told him it's the best game of all time, i don't think he would agree with me.
    But anyway, aside from the obvious problems with camera angles and the god awful controls, which were far better than most N64 titles, i went on my way. I found the plot hooks very weak and unattractive, and the villain had very poor motivations. The dungeons were fairly easy, but there were some "WTF that's what i supposed to do?" moments, which are never good in any game. the combat mechanics, are surprisingly good! the programmers could wrestle with this beast of a controller and actually accomplish something nearly usable with it. so i appreciate the effort for that. most of the puzzles are fine, but some require trial-and-error to accomplish, which defeats the purpose of a puzzle, you may as well roll a die if that's how its going to work. the jumping puzzles sometimes like to bite you in the ass, but overall i've seen worse.
    It's not that the game is bad, its not, its just not that good. its just OK. its just a run of the mill psuedo-rpg that lots of people happen to have nostalgic connection to. its got a charm to it that is matched by other games. The datedness of it gives a sterile and bland aura to it, buts that's just it. bland. I simply couldn't be bothered playing it anymore, it just got too unengaging and i just stopped playing and that was it.
    overall It's worth a try, maybe you will be one of the many followers of it, but this game has not aged well at all. But what do i know, go out there and find games you do like and stop reading this silly review.
    but seriously, i enjoy listening to the music more than the game.
    9/10 music
    6/10 visuals
    8/10 game play
    6/10 story
    4/10 re-playability
    5/10 atmosphere
    6/10 controls
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    I'm conflicted here. To say I didn't enjoy anything in this game would be a lie, but to say I enjoyed all of it would be too.

The story is simple, and has a predictable ending and an underwhelming final boss battle. In fact most of the boss battles are forgettable. The areas are simple themed areas with the most bland getting a second run once you take a 7 year nap. The game is

The game is really dated. Only those who played it at launch could give this game 10s. The puzzles are easy, the combat is really simple, and the gear is game breaking or useless outside it's first appearance.

As the first and only game in the franchises I've played and beat, this game has entirely turned me off of the franchise. And no it wasn't the water temple.
  7. Nov 17, 2011
    It is an amazing game... However it is the same game as 4 of its predecessors and was followed by one of the best and most original games in the series since Link to the past. Ocarina of time did the same thing as link to the past but cut out substance for graphics. Fewer items, fewer side quests, fewer dungeons, fewer secrets, less varied world and less manipulating the game for speedIt is an amazing game... However it is the same game as 4 of its predecessors and was followed by one of the best and most original games in the series since Link to the past. Ocarina of time did the same thing as link to the past but cut out substance for graphics. Fewer items, fewer side quests, fewer dungeons, fewer secrets, less varied world and less manipulating the game for speed runs (without the hacks) and had most of the same bad guys. It was than followed by Majora's mask which was original with a new story, a new villain, new items and some of the most exciting side quests I've seen. Not to mention the fierce Deities mask which was and is my favorite item in the series thus far. Expand
  8. CatF.
    Apr 5, 2003
    It's an enjoyable game that offers at most two plays through. However, the game is too easy and offers little action at points. Personally, I got bored of walking across the large Hyrule Field without finding anything to fight. What ever happened to the constant barrage of foes that was present in the previous Zelda games. The game has an excellent interface and the fighting is It's an enjoyable game that offers at most two plays through. However, the game is too easy and offers little action at points. Personally, I got bored of walking across the large Hyrule Field without finding anything to fight. What ever happened to the constant barrage of foes that was present in the previous Zelda games. The game has an excellent interface and the fighting is strikingly fun when available. The other area where Zelda fails is the plot. When the first Zelda came out, the whole "rescue the princess" cliche was overused enough in games. Nintendo added time travel into the third Zelda, and here we are doing the same thing over and over. The plot is the same, the towns have the same names, and the music is the same! Overall, I agree that this game is a lot of fun and is definitely worth playing. Unfortunately, it fails to reach the level of enjoyment it could have been. Expand
  9. Oct 3, 2011
    I'mma let you finish Ocarina of Time, but Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game of all time, of all time! All jokes aside, there is a serious review here. Ocarina of Time is hailed as one of the best games of all time, given it's own private seat at the table of awesome games, and is treated as royalty to the point a complete remake of this treasured classic is a no-brainer purchase, notI'mma let you finish Ocarina of Time, but Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game of all time, of all time! All jokes aside, there is a serious review here. Ocarina of Time is hailed as one of the best games of all time, given it's own private seat at the table of awesome games, and is treated as royalty to the point a complete remake of this treasured classic is a no-brainer purchase, not unlike Disney's HD releases of it's old movies. Then what is my problem with this game? It's.. well...er...bland! Okay, there! I said it! The environments strike me as bland here and there, the game starts slow, goes slow through the middle, and ends slow. I really, really, REALLY, want to love this game, but I can't. Action: For it's time, the combat is perfect, and there's nothing more I can ask for.. except a more rational magic system..
    Plot: Cliche beyond all compare.. Nah, I'm kidding! The princess grows up to be pretty awesome.. if she helped much beyond being an ocarina instructor for poor Link, the villain is two dimensional with no true reason to want to be doing anything he is, but the fantasy land is inspired with plenty of unique creatures and environments.. Graphics: ANYONE WHO SAYS N64 GRAPHICS HOLD UP ARE LYING AND YOU KNOW IT...
    Music: Okay, THE MUSIC IS PRETTY GREAT.

Overall: It's... meh. Bland for me, though apparently you guys get kicks out of lighting torches to open doors, making Link go through puberty just to improve his archery, and having to mow the lawn with your sword just to buy some new bombs. I wish I could see why you guys enjoy this game...
  10. Dec 9, 2011
    This game is a bit above average but it's vastly over rated in all honesty. This is often considered to be the best game of all time. It is nowhere near there. There is a lot of filler material, such as having to traverse Hyrule field multiple times. All you're doing is holding the stick forward, no enemies to fight, nothing to do. The puzzles are extremely basic. For example, there willThis game is a bit above average but it's vastly over rated in all honesty. This is often considered to be the best game of all time. It is nowhere near there. There is a lot of filler material, such as having to traverse Hyrule field multiple times. All you're doing is holding the stick forward, no enemies to fight, nothing to do. The puzzles are extremely basic. For example, there will be a ledge that you want to get up to, but it's too high, and there is also a box nearby. I'd make a sarcastic remark but that doesn't translate very well through text so I'll just say it literally - The puzzles are pretty much "just put two and two together". There are next to no side quests in this game, and the biggest one is just a tedious fetch quest. The combat isn't particularly amazing either. The game is so, so easy. The world and the lore is interesting but why settle for that, when you can have an actual good game on top of that as well? If you want a real 3D Zelda game, go for Majora's Mask or Skyward Sword. Expand
  11. Dec 11, 2010
    A l'instar du Zelda II sorti sur Nintendo, Majora's Mask est un épisode qui se pose en porte à faux vis à vis de la série. Point question de sauver la princesse Zelda. Le héros prend place dans un monde totalement neuf, un univers parallèle à Hyrule. Enfin totalement neuf, mais plus pourA l'instar du Zelda II sorti sur Nintendo, Majora's Mask est un épisode qui se pose en porte à faux vis à vis de la série. Point question de sauver la princesse Zelda. Le héros prend place dans un monde totalement neuf, un univers parallèle à Hyrule. Enfin totalement neuf, mais plus pour très longtemps, car il est au bord de l'apocalypse, proche de l'implosion, si Link ne remets pas la main sur un petit lutin masqué, nommé Skull Kid, qui fout la pagaille aux quatre coins de la planète. On est ainsi balancé dans un nouvel environnement, qui change de nos bonnes vieilles habitudes. Enfin, pas tout à fait. Car, fidèle à ses préceptes, Nintendo a farci le jeu de références aux épisodes précédents. Majora's Mask ressemble même au meilleur cross over de la série. En premier lieu, le jeu est une refonte assumée d'Ocarina Of Time. La plupart des personnages de ce dernier sont recyclés, dans des rôles parfois différents, souvent différents même et des noms changés. Je pense aux sorcières, boss du Temple du Désert dans le précédent épisode, reconverties en marchandes de potions. Les relations qu'entretient Link avec ces différents personnage sont ainsi totalement inversées. Expand
  12. Jan 15, 2011
    I still don't see why this game is so good. You literally beat it the exact same way every one else who played it beat it; what's the point? It obviously didn't age well but I would rate Paper Mario and Shadows of the Empire way above this on gameplay anyway.

HEY.

LISTEN.
  13. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is okay and all, but a 99/100? Really? I don't think it deserves that. As with most games on the n64, the graphics and gameplay haven't aged well at all, and although it is a good game expirence, the replay value just isn't there. I think that Majora's Mask was a much better sequel, but how did that score 4 entire points lower than this? Unless you have some sort of rabies forThis game is okay and all, but a 99/100? Really? I don't think it deserves that. As with most games on the n64, the graphics and gameplay haven't aged well at all, and although it is a good game expirence, the replay value just isn't there. I think that Majora's Mask was a much better sequel, but how did that score 4 entire points lower than this? Unless you have some sort of rabies for nostalgia, don't bother with this; skip straight to better titles like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day. Expand
  14. Jun 18, 2013
    Not very challenging. Very good story and innovative gameplay for the time. It has really good atmosphere. It's just not the best Zelda game. I can think of at least 5 that are way better. But seriously the puzzles and dungeons aren't challenging at all.
  15. Apr 14, 2014
    The game is pretty good. I will say that. But it really isn't the best game of all time. I'm not going to criticize the graphics, because although they look primitive now, they were good at the time. To be honest, the graphics were amazing for the time, and are still usable today.The music is brilliant and really fits in with the game."But!" I hear you scream at me from a passing car: "WhyThe game is pretty good. I will say that. But it really isn't the best game of all time. I'm not going to criticize the graphics, because although they look primitive now, they were good at the time. To be honest, the graphics were amazing for the time, and are still usable today.The music is brilliant and really fits in with the game."But!" I hear you scream at me from a passing car: "Why have you given it a 7 out of ten then?" And I will tell you why.
    1: The inventory system. Now, sure, it is good that the game even HAS an inventory system, but it is incredibly slow.There is nothing more annoying than when fighting an adorable deku shrub, you have to pause the game, and equip something. Surely there could have been an easier way to do this?
    2:The dungeons. The dungeons are awful. Lots of people will disagree, but The dungeons seem to repeat themselves. Solve a puzzle with a torch, open a door. Solve a puzzle with a moveable block, open a door. And the water dungeon? Wow. That was just an awful level.You have to agree on this.Possibly one of the worst levels ever.
    3: The age rating!! I remember playing this when I was about 5, the game being a 3+, or an E for everyone.So, I happily ran through kokiri village, trying to get to the deku tree. I was cautious when I got in. The music was pretty creepy, to say the least. I progressed, though, and slowly creeped my way around . Then, guess what? a huge spider jumped down from the ceiling! I sprinted downstairs! My Dad had to do the level for me! I was also scared of the stalchild.But, anyway, the village next to hyrule was my favourite place. I loved it. I wasn't bothered about the poe's that used to come out to the graveyard at night. I was curious, and decided to enter a house. House of skulltula. It was dark and quite creepy. Ominous music played. I had the courage to move forward. Suddenly, a 5 meter long skulltula Popped down from the ceiling! I screamed and wouldn't play it for days! Make it a 7+!
  16. Mar 7, 2015
    The game is playable, but too difficult to proceed in certain sections for younger gamers, which will lead to frustration at being stuck. A Zelda game like Majora's Mask has less situations in which players are unable to continue past a certain spot. Hopefully going forward, Nintendo will lean more on the Majora's Mask model than on Ocarina of Time.
  17. Dec 16, 2015
    Is this game overrated? Yes, very much so. It isn't the best game ever made. But it is still a better game than most.

Let's cover the good stuff first. As far as immersive and enjoyable game worlds go, Ocarina of Time is damn good. It has been the influence for every open-world game since. The story, while fairly cliche when taken as a whole, is actually quite enjoyable. This incarnation of Hyrule is iconic, with the locations and music of this land engraved into the minds of anyone who has played this game. Speaking of the music, there is not a single tune from this game that isn't recognizable. The gameplay is standard Zelda fare, although a new (for the time) Z-Targeting mechanic makes the game more combat-oriented than it's predecessors.

And this is when we take a look at OoT's two fundamental flaws.

The first carries on from than combat-oriented comment. The gameplay is combat-oriented, but the world isn't. It's still a puzzle game, although a very simple one. The combat feels incredibly disconnected from the rest of the game. You are rarely, if ever, required to be aware of your surroundings during a fight. There is a much bigger flaw however: a new dimension has been added and pixels have been swapped for polygons but the design hasn't budged an inch. You still push blocks. You still throw bombs. You still fight bats. Only now, it's in three spectacular dimensions. But there many cases where things that worked in A Link to the Past don't work in Ocarina of Time. Bats used to be fun, easy enemies, now they are a pain in the arse. Bombs still have a throw arc, meaning that you really have no idea where they will land. The "throwing the bomb down a few floors to activate a switch" challenge returns and, put simply, doesn't work, due in no small part to the fact that you cannot see where you supposed to be throwing the thing.

Frankly, if you love this game, what I have said won't matter. If you hate this game, you'll wonder why I have given this game such a high score after basically pointing out two major flaws. I still like this game. It's not perfect, but hey, what game is?
  18. Jan 14, 2016
    Meh, Undertale was better, plus i never grew up with nintendo so i dunno what's with all the love for this game, honestly, undertale should take the cake for best f-ing game on metacritic.
  19. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. okay I'm no hater but... Ocarina of Time is OVERRATED! im not saying it's bad but it's not too good either. I'm no hater I really do like this game it's just people have only been criticizing Zelda games ONLY to this game! Majora's Mask came oh no one liked it because it was only compared to OoT! And Majora's Mask is MUCH better than Ocarina. The Oracle games come out, it's only compared to OoT. AGAIN. Wind Waker, Four Swords, Minish Cap? All such underrated games cuz OoT. I understand that people love this game but it's been 18 years since this game came out. Also it wasn't original. Oh. Same villain as the last 4 games, oh look time travel, seven sages, a princess that Link has never even met before. Also they really just made it REALLY obvious on what the sages are. The first and second they just tell you, the third is trying to take your place and save his people, the fourth you know who it is she's a water lady going to the water temple, the fifth is also given to you, the sixth the Gerudos tell you, and the seventh was pretty obvious. I mean CLEARLY Shiek was Zelda. Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2016
    Best game on N64 and One of the best Nintendo games . This game brought popularity N64 . This game One of the First good game from Nintendo . This is best The Legend of Zelda game with The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on GameCube . Beatiful graphics for 1998 , Best Levels on the N64 and Amazing Gameplay . 7/10 .
  21. May 15, 2016
    Actually i must say, what critics make right choose about this game)) Cool gameplay, normal storyline, normal graphics for 1996, and normal opening world. Nintendo - you the BEST :)
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. This game was amazing, I still remember the time I finished this game it was the best thing that can ever happen in my Childhood. There is a reason why this game is the best. Collapse

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1998
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 1998

1. Mar 24, 2016
    The player will be drawn into the Zelda fantasy world from the moment the opening sequence bursts onto the screen, and the game won't let go-not even after finishing the quest.
  2. Happy Puppy
    Mar 24, 2016
    Realism is one of the major reasons this title is so amazing. After playing for a while it feels as though you have actually been to Hyrule.
  3. Mar 24, 2016
    Featuring unparalleled 3D environments, a deep and involved quest, brilliant and intuitive play controls, and a well-developed cinematic quality that enhances rather than overwhelms the whole game experience, Miyamoto's latest soon-to-be-classic title deserves to be played by each and every person who might deign to consider themselves a fan of great games.