1701 A.D. PC

• Release Date: Nov 6, 2006
8.3

1. SamW.
    Aug 20, 2009
    I've played the original (1602 A.D.) on and off for years. It hit me recently that this game might have a sequel. Well it has a few sequels. I skipped past the 1503 game or whatever it is and bought 1701 A.D. on Steam. This game is amazing. I thought they would screw it up bad, I loved the old 2D, 16-Bit looking graphics one and I figured after all these years, there is no way they I've played the original (1602 A.D.) on and off for years. It hit me recently that this game might have a sequel. Well it has a few sequels. I skipped past the 1503 game or whatever it is and bought 1701 A.D. on Steam. This game is amazing. I thought they would screw it up bad, I loved the old 2D, 16-Bit looking graphics one and I figured after all these years, there is no way they could make the game as good. Boy was I wrong, it is actually better! Nothing was taken out from the original, features were only added! I play the game on max settings 1920x1080, and the graphics aren't terrific, but they are far from ugly and fit the game well. This is how all sequels should be, improve the game from the original. Add stuff, don't take stuff out. The best economy game (1602 A.D.) got even better (1701 A.D.). Expand
  2. JeremyT.
    Mar 31, 2007
    This may actually be a ten but I'm a tough grader. Great graphics, lots of thinking and options. Definitely goes beyond AoE in strategy. Lots of fun.
  3. AdamA
    Sep 16, 2008
    As a hardcore 1602 fan, this game was not a disappointment. Although part of me would rather dig up my old copy of 1602, there isn't any reason I wouldn't still give this one a perfect ten. The economy in the game is one of the most unique and superb of any game.
  4. AmberH
    Jun 7, 2009
    Wonderful. One of the most complex strategy games I've played in a long time, with tons of replayability. I wasn't expecting much because this came from a small German software developer, but I got more than my money's worth.
  5. KristianL.
    Aug 25, 2009
    It's not as good as 1404 which I've been playing for a whjile now. I never knew of this 1701 game, but it is one of the best city/settler/epic builder games out there. Pretty great graphics too. 1404 which is newer, is of course better in every aspect, but that shouldn't take away any of the greatness of this game. 7 is my vote, because I've tried better games like It's not as good as 1404 which I've been playing for a whjile now. I never knew of this 1701 game, but it is one of the best city/settler/epic builder games out there. Pretty great graphics too. 1404 which is newer, is of course better in every aspect, but that shouldn't take away any of the greatness of this game. 7 is my vote, because I've tried better games like this, but certainly not many. The Anno series is in the super league of citybuilder games out there. Expand
  6. MatthijsH.
    Nov 13, 2006
    An 78 is an average way too low for this game. I've been playing this game for hours and I'm reviewing it for the Dutch gaming site Gamer.nl, and it's truly worth a 9. The gameplay is excellent, with a good economic balance, and it's extremely addictive. Besides that, it's graphically wonderful. Just zoom in on your settlement and you will see beatiful details. An 78 is an average way too low for this game. I've been playing this game for hours and I'm reviewing it for the Dutch gaming site Gamer.nl, and it's truly worth a 9. The gameplay is excellent, with a good economic balance, and it's extremely addictive. Besides that, it's graphically wonderful. Just zoom in on your settlement and you will see beatiful details. You truly feel the love the developers put into the game, and you can play it endlessly. It's a must-buy for everyone who likes city-building games. Expand
  7. PhilippH.
    Nov 1, 2006
    This game is better than the 1503 edition because it's more like the A.D. 1602, with nice visual effects and a very good gameplay.
  8. RalphM
    Oct 23, 2008
    A fantastic game! The only thing keeping this from a 10 is the military system, a side of the game that could use some more work.
  9. MacS.
    Nov 15, 2006
    Real improvment in terms of graphics and game play, the basic principle of the serie remains unchanged, if you were a fan of 1503 and 1602, you will not be dissapointed. Personnaly, I found it a little bit boring after playing 2-3 times and the game is bugged, shutting down my computer each 20 minutes (even with everything fully updated).
  10. Rob
    Nov 9, 2006
    Very nice game, very fun in multiplayer mode! I love playing it with my brother!
  11. Aug 23, 2011
    i Think the this game is one of the best i have played. i like how the added storms. I also like how u can build your own world. it was nice to through in islands to the game.
  12. Oct 6, 2015
    great graphics and a generally awesome game. I played the original and this one is far better. Lots of different options and thoughts can be incorporated into this game.

1. What you've got here is a deep, distinctive game that should satisfy all but the most slaughter-obsessed strategy gamers, and cause deep vein blood clots the size of turtle eggs in all but the most fidgety and small-bladdered.
    1701 isn't the best economic sim we've ever seen, but it's one of the best we've seen recently. The level of production values for this title are surprisingly high.
  3. PC Gamer UK
    If you can relax into the game, get past the learning curve and ignore being hit on by an ugly Scottish man, there's a mass of strategy here. [Dec 2006, p.110]