5.1

1. Dec 24, 2012
    I saw this game advertised on Steam and through it'd be a great digital stocking stuffer for myself and my younger brother. It's a fun game to play but it has a fatal flaw; YOU CANNOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME! The developers instead have opted to host every server themselves.

For a game like this where there could be hours of fun on private servers; building elaborate bases before
    annihilating each other, the absence of this feature leaves this game feeling extremely lacking.

I've given this game a three as I feel it's really only a third of the game that it easily could have been.
  2. Mar 1, 2013
    I am shocked at how many negative reviews there are.
    You should be looking at the game as it is alone, not comparing it to the old game and giving it a 0 because you like the old game better
    this game is still passing through some updating
    also Jagex is trying to incorporate the old game wit modes like classic ctf
    I think before blurting out anything you need to look at how far this
    game can go and how far this game is going to go
    Lastly I think all of this users should play this game with a few friends on steam voice chat and realise the elements of this game and how fun it can be with your friends
    I think you guys are really missing out give Jagex 3 5 months and I think this game is going to get much better
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is nothing compare to "original" version. Smaller, tighter maps, faster gameplay, No CTF mode, no Rifle, crap optimization, crap server browser. This game is a huge disappointment.
  4. Dec 14, 2012
    The beta of the game was very fun. I played it for nearly a year. But the current version.... it loses most of its charm.

It used to be a slower paced tactical shooter, which required strategy and team work to win. Now it focuses on the individual instead of the team, discourages building/destruction and overall makes it just your average run and gun shooter. Now don't get me wrong, I
    like a lot of games like that. But it doesn't really fit in with the blocky theme.

Altogether it looks like they were drunk when they made it, all these crazy features that are pretty much useless.

Also there are several problems with the game engine itself. I have a decent computer. Alienware x51 and the game runs at 20 FPS. I could run the beta of the game at a solid 60.
  5. Dec 15, 2012
    Now, when I buy a game I expect it to live up to its monies worth. For $10, this game did not even live up to that. There are no Australian servers. For three days now I have been browsing the servers just waiting for a server that has under 100 ping to no avail. It is literally impossible to shoot anybody because of the ping and lag issues. Where are the different game modes? Why have they changed the entire concept of Ace of Spades from a WW1 environment to some magical fantasy land? Unlike the beta, there is virtually no point in building your own fortresses/trenches etc because there is no room to do so nor is there any point. There is no team work whatsoever and everyone is an individual fighting for themselves. Overall, a poor result of a game that had so much potential to be great. Do not spend $10 on this game, It's honestly not even worth $5. Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2013
    Nice game. Fast paced, a good idea, lots of fun, amusing game modes, and would deserve more (especially more than its current average of 4.5 or 51). So what are the cons? Well, lack of self-hosting feature (so you cannot have your own private hosted game); and the most annoying one: lack of precision and/or buggy crosshair: when you aim exactly at the head of a non-moving enemy with a precision rifle from too far away, you cannot even hit him. It's easy to test: bring a friend, choose different teams, and headshot yourselves from as far away as possible. Expand
  7. Dec 13, 2012
    Even if you ignore the fact that Ace of Spades is no longer free, it's still vastly inferior now than it was before. Before, the worst thing you had to deal with was a shotgun and everyone would build massive tunnels and bases, and it was awesome. Now, what's the point? Someone will just come in with a jetpack and blow you up, or someone will just blow you up anyway, because every **** class has enormous explosives, which basically ruins the point of even building anything anymore. It's like they wanted to drive everyone away that wasn't ten years old. Completely ruined. Expand
  8. Dec 15, 2012
    Wow, to break a game this bad takes some amount of talent. I hadn't even played the beta version before this one, so I wasn't coming into this biased. I bought this on impulse on release and was immediately disappointed. Buggy, laggy, unbalanced, and just not fun. I couldn't understand why people were raving about this.. then I checked out the beta. It needed some polish, but there is an addictive quality to it. I can understand why people got hooked. The pacing in the beta version is just right. How the new developers could play that, and come up with this pile is baffling to me.

Even if you chalk up the bugs to first release issues, this game is horrible. Stay away. I wouldn't download this again even if it was free. One of the few times I wish Steam had a refund button.
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    For most of these people who gave this game low scores, you should try waiting for the updates. as they came out with the classic mode, which in my opinion, is 80% similar to the original.
  10. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is awful. It promises "Construction. Combat. Creativity." but delivers only combat, and does so very poorly. It's been three days since release and their servers still can't handle the game, making it essentially unplayable on full servers, but even if it was working the gameplay mechanics discourage building in every way possible:

People can jetpack over huge patches of the
    map quickly and weapons do little damage per shot, meaning people will never feel the need to build cover. This combined with small maps leads to COD style run in and shoot gameplay. You can often see the enemy spawn area from where you spawn in and fire on enemies within seconds. It's a waste of a great concept and most definitely a waste of money. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2012
    I bought the game immediately, since it looked so fun and intriguing and i loved the concept. Well, what can i say: I am a bit disappointed there. I thought i get to design whole maps to tear them down. I thought i could host my own game. But NO, said STEAM (or JagEx, the company behind the game). From what i read so far, the game was bought by them from a single programmer and then totally altered in a unpleasant way? Anyhow, here go my big let-down facts:

A) NO Editor whatsoever. There is said to be an editor to do that called VOXEL, but that thing is post-alpha pre-beta status, a pain in the ass to use and it is not delivered with the game. SO, YOU CAN NOT DESIGN OWN MAPS.

B) ah yes, the maps. THERE ARE ONLY 4-5 MAPS. for ALL the gaming modes. tedious as hell.

C) THE GAMING MODES: THERE IS LIKE 4 OF THEM. and Demolition is about the most fun. and that's it. D) YOU CAN NOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME. no possibility ingame to get a server running. i heard there is a tool delivered with the game to do that, but it is not to be found in the steam download and from what i read - a pain in the ass, just like the editor.

E) SERVERS ARE **** pings are enormous, you get timeout warnings all the time, lagging, what have you. F) building is totally not half as important as it is mentioned in the ad text. you CAN add own blocks to repair your base and such, but that is boring. Conclusion: i would love to give that game at least a 5 out of 10, since it is new on steam, can be patched easily and i hope that jagex will improve the game. but my gaming experience tells me: this game was released half finished of what it COULD have been to get the company a quick buck, and it will never see any more improvement. it's still not a total **** thanks to the demolition mode, it's fine for a quick round now and then, but yeah......as i said. i doubt it will see many patches and/or important and needed improvements as "setting up your own server" and "designing your own maps easily".
  12. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a good game... the only problem is that it isn't "Ace of Spades". I, too, snapped this game up way too hastily, thinking I was buying the same copy of the game that I so lovingly played not a few months ago. What Jagex have done to the original game is absolutely horrible and they have turned AoS into a much more commercial "Team Fortress 2" style game. The very heart and soul of the original has been stripped, and I seriously recommend that those who still want to play Ace of Spades, play the beta version, which is being kept alive on a website called "build and shoot".
    I'm giving this game 1 star for being fun to play, but it loses 9 because of how much Jagex stripped it of everything that made the game lovable.
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    This game does not even work properly , i wish i could give it a chance and try to enjoy it but their servers seems to have big issues , i keep lagging , rubberbanding , stuttering and getting connection warnings I have a fast connection with a high end gaming system , i play online games on a regular basis so the issue is not on my end i just have to accept the fact that i lost 10$
  14. Dec 26, 2012
    Once again, Jagex manages to **** things up. This time, it's a rip-off of another great game! Jagex CLAIMS to have been working on the game with the original creators for a year. NO, they jumped in on the project in November 2012 so that they would try healing the harmed souls from The Evolution of Combat.

You'd really expect Jagex to fix all the things they've done to Runescape and
    complete the new sci-fi MMORPG called Stellar Dawn that they were working on for years. NO, they spent the money on making this **** game right after CANCELING Stellar Dawn because they had to use their RESOURCES to work on RuneScape instead!

Really, I have seen several awful game companies, and I really thought The War Z had the worst game company I had ever seen. However, when I think back on it, Jagex has had the worst customer support of any game I have ever played! Never EVER have i received a message from a Jagex Moderator that was not computer generated. Why would you want to send them a support message though? Because they don't have any phone number you can contact them on if something happens to your game account.

Now the real question is, do they support the customers?

*drumroll*

No, they leave a first impression that slaps you in the face and burns into your brain.

Remember, stay away from Ace of Spades, stay away from RuneScape and STAY AWAY FROM JAGEX!
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    The game is getting better, initially, jagex ruined the game, it almost destroyed the original concept, but with the new update, they implemented a classical mode similar to the original one, and they improved the new "normal" mode. Jagex deserves a second chance, please, fell free to try it again, as a veteran player, I highly recommend it!!
  16. Dec 15, 2012
    I told players in the forums before it was out: "don't knock it till you tried it". Well, I've tried it for a few days now and here is my impression of the game broken down into points.

The game feels and looks as if it was made by a European toy company. It looks like Legos with guns aimed at a demographic of 8-12 year olds. It seems like a rushed production where the goal was to make
    it look attractive, promote it the same way you would toys, and sell as many copies as possible right after launch. They even use reviews from video game review websites/companies such as IGN, before a proper review could be made, leading to my suspicion, that as always, these sites/companies were paid for a positive review. IGN for example has been suspected many times of being paid to give a game a positive review.

The maps were made by artists and not level designers. In fact, level design seems to be non-existent in the maps. It feels more like artists took inspiration from levels from other games and made an attempt to make maps like them. With no destructible terrain, the maps might be half decent. No one that worked on the levels took into account how destructive the classes/weapons are and did not use that knowledge in designing. However, those who designed the levels themselves do not seem to have either the knowledge or experience to design proper maps. For example, the map: London Bridge, has spawn points for both teams somewhat perpendicular to the orientation of the bridge. In other words, rather than facing eachother from opposite sides of the bridge and thus the bridge would become a key element in map control, the bridge is nothing more than useless eye candy. Both teams spawn practically on one side of the bridge and face eachother over a curving part of river. Both teams also spawn on one side and corner of the map, rather than exactly opposite eachother.

Lastly, I understand at launch, every game has bugs in it that eventually get fixed. Ace of Spades 1.0 however not only has shoddy netcode, but it also seems to suffer from many memory leaks. The clientside to server side updating is some of the most horrible I've ever seen. Sometimes, it seems like the server can't decide if you hit an enemy or haven't or where you really are on the map. I can't count how many times I warped back and forth between 2 coordinates. The memory leaks are noticeable from the graphics. Even at the lowest settings on a fast system with a new card, more than adequate ram, high end processor, the FPS is still all over the place and gradually degrades as you play the game. From a programming perspective, I'm starting to be suspicious that they took the original engine and layered all the new elements in the game on top of it and hoped that it would be able to handle a heightened graphic level and many more effects such as increased particle effects. If this is true, the original engine is getting bogged down by all the extra work and was not originally designed to handle so much.

In summary, like I said, if feels like it was made by a toy company for the sole purpose of immediate profits. It really does look and feel like someone took Legos and weapons and threw them into pot and then pushed the digital version of that pot out the door as fast as possible. And I'm saying that while trying to be straightforward and give an honest opinion without hate or any negative intent.

I think it's going to take Jagex a lot of work to fix the list of problems with their game, if they would like to continue to make money off of it. I support any company that wants to sell a game. Game making is very hard work and takes a lot of resources. However, quality is what makes or breaks a game. Time will tell. Buyer beware. Buy the game if you feel that there is still promise there and that they can still improve to a point of being a quality game. Thanks for reading,

--Snow
  17. Dec 19, 2012
    As an avid Jagex support since Runescape Classic I was thoroughly excited they finally made it to a "platform" game available on Steam. I immediately bought the game as it was released on Steam and well...was very surprised of the LACK of readiness this game was for a mainstream market. I didn't even expect this game to have fancy graphics (which it didn't) I really was looking forward to a well-built game engine as experienced with Minecraft....but fell VERY, VERY short of my expectations and consistency in game play. I have never bought a game on Steam that I had felt like my $10 instantly burned up upon purchasing. Realistically this game should be .99 and believe they moved the decimal over once space was an insult to the original developer's product and open-source attitude. Expand
  18. Dec 15, 2012
    The original AoS is amazing, I would give it a 10 out of 10, but Jagex bought this game. Now, the problem is: The servers are incredibly laggy, the snipers don't do a lot of damage, and building is not as much as fun as it was before. Though I am sure Jagex will fix the lag issues soon.
  19. Dec 15, 2012
    seriously,this game is way more bad than the classic ones,once in a while AoS is a free game,now,this game is turned out to be a crap,because of jagex.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    What can I say. This enjoyable game with great potential has been utterly ruined.
    The flashy graphics on the promo page was a clue to what was happening. Truly awful.
  21. Feb 15, 2013
    When Ace of Spades was in its beta version, it was at its peak. When Jagex took over, they started doing 'shady' things to the game, to the point where it wasn't Ace of Spades anymore; it was just another FPS Minecraft clone. I purchased this game when I was lead to believe that there was a linux version coming out shortly by one of Jagex's employees, only to find out that they were NOT going to release a linux version. The game is dead, and is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH BUYING! Expand
  22. Dec 18, 2012
    Pretty good time waster when it was free but not really worth paying for.
    I would much rather play the far superior Guncraft instead.

I played this quite a bit when it first came out but it was basically featureless at the time.
    It's nice to see this game has made some progress, but it still has a long way to go before it's worth the price they are charging.
  23. Dec 15, 2012
    Should have read the reviews before purchasing this game, never played the original but i liked the concept Boy am I disappointed. I won't rip on the lag issue since I hope they are actually working on it but I will complain about the lack of private servers. It looks like Jagex wants to keep tally of all the users scores for competitions or something. This is an annoyance and Jagex should place the social media aspect on the back burner since this game has more then enough problems and I really doubt they will ever hit that point since this has all the feel of an inexperienced team taking on more then they can handle. The game can not decide if it is a team based game tactical game or a quick paced twitch deathmatch.
    Of course team play wise it's not there. This game just screams team play build forts and fight in them but no, combat happens to quickly and the pace is far to fast to actually consider doing anything with your team members. But don't worry all the classes and weapons are horribly unbalanced, despite the fact that none of them could hurt a wounded kitten, I'll give them credit for that should be considered a feat to make some guns suck that much less to stick out from the bunch. They tacked on the classes without thinking about how they will play in relation with other classes. The rocketeer and miner end up negating any reason to build fortifications. And even if they didn't the combat occurs at a fast pace that you will feel lucky if you know what is going on. The biggest problem I have with this game other then the lackluster guns and the poor attempt at recreating TF2 in minecraft is the fact that they neglected the construction and have made no attempt to actually build that into the game play or build the classes around this game play mechanic, Ok I lied some classes can build unique prefabbed structures while others can't but that means little when I noticed another problem. After playing one hour I noticed I wasn't building anything so I tried, and the placement mechanics are awful and after 3 attempts, Read get shot while I slowly move my mouse around to put down a green wall to cower behind I noticed it's pointless to do so when the whole map is covered with an even density of both teams equally everywhere and half of everyone is strapped with a rocket pack that allows them to ignore things like my obstacle while the other half is equipped with a death drill that treats my obstacle like a tissue. Have I mentioned if you are playing something other then rocketeer or miner you are looking for a long painful not fun slog. Yep it's true, the developer decided to place iron sights into this game (There should be something like a swear jar for developers and every time the think "Iron sights" they get punched) The pace of the game makes using them obnoxious, it's like you can tell the developer realized "Hey this should be a tactical game that should be of a slower pacing then normal shooters and focusing on teamwork and planning" but then proceeded to huff paint for the next hour while pretending to code Quake. Well I can rant more but I am getting tired, the biggest fault of this game is it doesn't break any molds. I know it has the blocks and destructive terrain but it never uses them in a fun or interesting manner. It's just a really poorly put together FPS and if they decide to remove the block destruction/construction (not like they were using it for anything good) I will consider giving it a score of 1 instead of 0.
  24. Dec 16, 2012
    The original Ace of Spades was great. The weapons felt good, the gameplay was fun, and it felt like the community was a big part of the game. I would have given that game a 9 or 10. This game does not deserve to have the same name. It deserves nothing. The classes are terrible, the gamemodes are boring, the maps are lame, the servers are laggy, the weapons all suck, etc. DO NOT EVEN LET THE THOUGHT OF PURCHASING THIS ENTER YOUR MIND IF YOU EXPECT SOMETHING FUN. Screw you, Jagex. Screw you for ruining an amazing game. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    Ace of Spades was a good freeware game that "Even your grandma can run", but now good players can't because of Jagex turning it into a entire new game.
  26. Jan 2, 2013
    The original game was really good. Right now it's a Team Fortress 2 wanna be. Shame on the new game developers who ruined the essence of this great game.
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    ''Say hello to the creative shooter. Ace of Spades is the first-person shooter that lets you create your battleground, destroy it, then create it again''
    It wasn't the first game that was made with minecraft blocks.... That was Brickwars. Plus the game sucks
  28. Jan 8, 2013
    TL;DR Take the original, heart-driven Ace of Spades, commercialize it, and market it to 12 year old CoD fans.

Thats all that really needs to be said. When the original AoS was released, it had a neat little spirit and charm to it that made you feel like you were playing Minecraft: Trench Warfare, it was a game you could grab a cup of coffee, sit down and play, relax, have fun, and get
    excited with. Playing this feels like Call of Minecraft: Halo Warfare, and on that note, the game has effectively been killed. Expand
  29. Dec 31, 2012
    Not what it's cracked up to be, except when it is.
    First off, there seem to be a lot of reviews giving negative scores because it is not as good as the original, but reviews should be about the games themselves, not in comparison to anything else.
    Ace of Spades claims to be a mix between Minecraft and Team Fortress 2, but in practice it doesn't quite live up to this. It feels like a
    weaker version of TF2 with an added little destruction mechanic. Although you can build your own fortresses, no one does because there is no encouragement to and you usually don't get the opportunity because the maps are so small. So it is, in reality, only in a Minecraft themed world, rather than in a world encouraging creativity. This isn't Minecraft.
    Nor is it TF2, because the classes aren't as interesting and the shooting mechanics are plain bad. It does make up for this by having a jetpack class, but you enter the game having no idea how to use it because there is no tutorial. For anything. With all of that being said, it is important to note that if you make it fun, it can be fun. I demonstrated this to myself after a while of playing it by creating a little base on top of a hill and sniping out of the window, and it was thoroughly enjoyable as a lunchbreak sort of game. I certainly couldn't play the game for long periods of time, whereas the opposite can be said for Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft.
    For a few pounds, it does give you its money's worth, but until there is more of an incentive to build and destroy, it remains a bad TF2 clone.
  30. Jan 9, 2013
    Ace of spades? More like space of aids, this game is absolutely **** which isn't a big suprise from Jagex. After all, these guys aren't about quality games, at least, not anymore. It's all about money money money, so what do they do to achieve that? Combine the favorite 3 things of every 13 year old: minecraft, guns and team fortress. And there you have it, the worst game out there.

31. Feb 17, 2013
    Ace of Spades IS NOT A BAD GAME. It dosen't deserve a 46 score on metacritic, ive seen worse games that have got better score! *Cough Cough* Aliens: Colonial Marines. It should get a better review than other things!
  32. Feb 25, 2013
    This game is a major disappointment. I had played the game when it was in beta, and it was fun due to being simple and encouraging digging and building. Now, they made it a class warfare game, similar to TF2. The difference is that TF2 is fun and has 9 classes. Ace of Spades has 4, and they aren't better than the 3 different primary weapon choices from beta. You cannot build because everything explodes. Rocket launchers, landmines, TNT, and so much more. Also, when someone dies, they turn into a tombstone (Which, if they were trying to be funny, is a pathetic attempt at a joke), which also explodes and destroys a small amount of blocks, making even killing your enemies ruin your buildings and trenches. The sniper rifle's accuracy is so bad, a broken flintlock pistol shot at a target from a mile away is more accurate, and that is just sad. Please do not buy this, even if you did play the beta, because it will never live up to it's beta. Expand
  33. Jan 4, 2013
    The game Ace of Spades was a promising game brought up by Ben Aksoy. It had strategy, creativity, and the promise of always being free! But then Jagex bought the game and proceeded to mess it up. The games now a Terraria/COD/Minecraft mashup. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the servers are incredibly laggy, and building is not as much as fun as it was before, mostly due to the ease of destroying them now, and the snipers don't do nearly enough damage. It's defiantly got it's problems now. But for 5 American dollars it was worth it. Despite these problems I still had fun, though it could have been better. And hey, maybe Jagex will work to fix some of these problems. Expand
  34. Jan 8, 2013
    Let's get this sorted out first: Jagex completely shifted the playstyle of the game. For better or worse is up to you. The original was a cover-based tactical shooter, with the main focus on building, flanking, and teamwork. All three, unfortunately are lost with the new game. The game has turned into Quake, with the ability to jump incredible heights and sprint up hills, both of which were not present in the Original. If you like this kind of game, great. Go ahead and buy it. It's very polished and the gameplay is smooth. (Excluding he gun play) For me however, I'll stick to the old tactical shooter. Expand
  35. Jan 28, 2013
    Simply put, there is nothing this game has to offer that is worth your time, with poor balance, annoying controls and gun play. The original version seems better according to other people, so there is no reason to spend the money
  36. Apr 5, 2013
    The zombie mode itself, is worth the game, addicting and fun... Don't pay attention to all the bad reviews, they are voting down a game based off one little difference.
  37. Jan 12, 2013
    No! No! No! This game is bad, the accuracy is very bad, the duration of jetpack is very very low, the graphics are fun but not for a FPS , aiming down the sight make this game worse!!
  38. Jan 18, 2013
    I saw the potential of this game when I played it in alpha/beta. It was lightweight, and outright amazing. Once they brought it to Steam, everything went downhill. The use of a master server was probably the worst idea they could have thought of so far, because all the servers lag and game play is almost impossible because you are always missing your shots, or getting sniped. Remind you of something? Oh yeah, COD. When I was buying the game, I expected something great like the standalone but instead I got this crap. I hope you guys are reading the reviews here and decide to use the $10 that we all wasted on this game to make it better.
    -Dsf190
  39. Jan 29, 2013
    This would have to be one of the most entertaining games that I have ever played. The environment is fully destructible and it is always good fun to build huge towers to pick off enemies from a distance.

I fail to see where all the hatred for this game is coming from. For a game like this to a have a user and critic score of around 45-48% is totally unreasonable. The physics of this
    game are great, the class-based gameplay is brilliant, the game modes are awesome and this game, overall, is amazing.

To give a game a bad rating because it costs money is a waste of your own time and a statement that you are a cheap bastard. As for the critics, I'm not sure why the reviews were so negative.

My advice: buy the game and play it for yourself. It's only $10 and I would buy a game of this quality for $50+, it's that good.
  40. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is a mess and a showcase of lazy game design, the maps are pretty much unplayable at the moment with many maps being a bore to traverse if you don't have a jet pack. Lag plagues servers and the general feel of shooting and engaging in combat is a very flat one which leaves little impression.
  41. Feb 13, 2013
    I'm sorry, but no. I'm going to hate this game for the rest of my days. Allow me to explain: For those of you that only heard of this game when it was released on Steam, and still think it's bad, you can only imagine how the fans of the original game feel. And I myself am a fan of the original game. The reason it attracted so many people in its early days was that it was simplistic. Very simplistic. The map was entirely featureless, with only a few green hills and a river. The weapon was a rifle. There was no mini-map. It was a game based entirely on skill. The building elements actually made a difference, with walls actually holding off the enemy, and tunnels actually allowing you to infiltrate their bases. Then I played this new version. Buildings are essentially useless now, with the inclusion of bazookas and TNT and other explosives. There's now four classes. There's new weapons that make the rifle effectively useless. It got turned from a fun little "Minecraft with Guns" into "Call of Duty with Minecraft elements" and that makes me sick. Expand
  42. Jan 8, 2013
    Full disclosure: I have never played the original freeware game. As such my review is based completely on the current iteration by Jagex.
    PROS:
    + It is pretty awesome to be in the middle of a firefight, your cover is destroyed and you either build more or start digging a trench to hide in. + The commando feels great as a hybrid of the soldier/heavy in TF2
    +the rocketeer has a nifty
    turret/useful jetpack
    +the miner has a great shotgun(though it's useless at anything other than EXTREME close range imo) and the mining rocket is a fun toy to kill people with or actually mine with. CONS:
    -The buliding aspect works but it's not as realized as I'd like. It's a cool concept but it's not utilized in most modes as much as I thought it would be (building is an absolute must in the zombie mode but in other modes there's no necessity to build).
    -The class based combat is not anywhere near TF2 levels of synchronicity. -the sniper feels weak ( the sniper rifle feels inconsistent with the number of headshots to kill, or I just suck lol).

Verdict: MEH. It's fun in short doses. It's not a horrible game but it's definitely not a must play. I got it for 5$ and feel that it's worth maybe that but definitely wouldn't recommend paying more for this game.
  43. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a great game with a constantly changing environment and a whole ton of fun. The only complaint I have is that there isn't a way to play community-made maps, but Jagex just added a bunch more maps, with even more scheduled to release early next year, so even that really isn't much of a problem.

Jagex has also been very responsive about the feedback of their game, and have been
    constantly working to reduce lag, balance weapons, and add maps which emphasis on strategy, since there has apparently been a complaint that the game lost some of that.

Its great game under a caring company.
  44. Jan 10, 2013
    Another reminder to check Metacritic review before jumping on Steam's sale bandwagon. I bought the 4 pack because it looked like a change of pace for the fam. I couldn't even start gameplay because (even though it is an option), LAN is disabled. There is no server app either (I understand there used to be one for older revs). My son played on the public server, and he said it was just ok. But I have no interest in that, since I want my own private server via local LAN. So, this was another $15 flushed.

That said, I still think this game could be saved. The dev just has some real work to do...
  45. Dec 23, 2012
    I got this game when it went on sale for steam and I'm very glad I did. I played the original ace of spades a lot and feel like this one is at the very least a good game, and great successor. Much of what I think has already been said, but to anyone who doubts jagex's sincerity in listening to it's community and players, just look at this link. http://www.aceofspades.com/forums/entry.php?12

It addresses many of the things people here have said and more.
  46. Mar 4, 2013
    >No way to run your own server >Servers run by Jagex are of terrible quality >Jagex developers promised no paid DLC, later releasing paid DLC >Runs like trash on high end machines >No way to kick griefers from servers, no votekick >According to devs the game is hackproof, this has since been disproven, complete with youtube videos showing aimbots successfully operating Avoid this game like the plague. It's made by a bunch of incompetent liars desperate for your money. Expand
  47. Dec 24, 2012
    It's amazing when it works. The gameplay is great, zombies is great. You'll run into a lot of lag (ping and fps). But hopefully they'll patch it. My score is based on the game actually working.
  48. Jan 25, 2013
    To all those who are complaining about it having nothing on beta or the lack of private servers and so on...quit your whining. I'm sure if you submit to the devs they will eventually open up that option. Beta is also beta. The beta version of a game is never anywhere close to that of the final game. Give this game time. I personally just enjoy it for its boxy blood and gore. Tell the devs what you want. Don't whine about how much of a disappointment it is compared to beta. This game has potential. Don't give up on it yet! Expand
  49. Jan 31, 2013
    The game is great, I love it!
    The things that I find disappointing are simple: In the trailer (Steam) you can see some 'Maps' that are 'deleted' from the game....(??) Very disappointing..
    The fact that people cannot host a private server is very disappointing as well.... A new figure or something like that would be cool as well!
    If those things would be fixed/improved the game would be
    awesome!!!
    Now the game is great as well, but it could be better.
  50. Jan 31, 2013
    I honestly don't get why people are out to get this game. Its fun, addictive, and great to play with friends, especially zombies. All these people are pissed because of no map editor and the fact that you cant host your own servers. I admit, that sucks, but give the game a rating for the features it has, not what it doesn't. Jagex listened to the community and actually added classic mode, which is great because now its the complete Ace of Spades experience. So im betting we will see a map editor and private servers in the future. I'm not saying its perfect, but its not worth these extremely negative reviews. Expand
  51. Feb 3, 2013
    After the update the game is actually fun again with the new world war 1 inspired classic mode. In addition the jetpack was nerfed so building serves a point again.
  52. Feb 14, 2013
    Sad clone of the original free version with flaws like destroying the whole trench warfare part of the original and thus making the game nothing more than CoD with blocky graphics.
  53. Dec 30, 2012
    A lot of haters on this game. It plays well, and is a quite a blast to play; especially with friends. It even has a CS:S zombie mode in it that's incredibly enjoyable.

The only thing I feel it lacking is the classic AoS gamemode when it was free to play beta. If they reimplimented the classic mode, then a lot of people might dig a lot more on it.

It's still a solid game, the lag is
    ficticious, and it's fun. Grab it, it's worth your buck. Expand
  54. Feb 14, 2013
    I feel like critics are giving this game a hard time for the wrong reasons. They point out it didn't work quite the way they imagined it, which is wrong, I see a great game, for $10, less than a gigabyte, that loads quickly, and joins quickly and has fun doing it. If I wanted a game with the same pace of multi player I would be dishing out $60 (6 times it price) for Call of Duty Black Ops 2, or maybe if I wanted a Minecraft game I would buy Minecraft for $30 (3 times the price), so in all I would spend $90 to get the best of both worlds, or I could get a game which fits both of them together for a 1/9th the price! And I feel like this game has a future due to the fact the developers are constantly updating, and making it better! Not to mention the DLC's!!!! In my opinion this game is better than minecraft or Black Ops. Sometimes you don't want a storyline, sometimes you want a fun time that is quick, easy, accessible, and over all a amazing work! Not to be missed! Expand
  55. Jan 11, 2013
    I don't see why this game got such a low score, it one of my favorite games. I play it all the time, and I hate basically all fps. there's a lot of diversity: marksman, he's basically the sniper. the commando, he's a tank.
    Miner, I call him the dwarf. and finally the roketeer who has a jet pack and a sub-machine gun. and some you can customize what weapons each person has.
    fyi: sorry if there's errors in my text Expand
  56. Jan 26, 2013
    I honestly don't understand the bad reviews. Odds are they are mostly just children knocking a fun game for lack of HD graphics or whatnot. This game is amazing, a creative masterpiece, just what you need after being owned by cheap kill streaks in COD. You can fight, build, destroy and do anything to beat the other color. The four classes are balanced and each have special skills and different weapons to equip.
    The ONLY thing that's stopping me from making this rating a 10 is a mediocre issue. I live in Canada, and its sometimes difficult to connect to a server. Minus that, its a great game, class based, and it sort of feels like your going back to the world of Minecraft. It would be a 9.7/10.
  57. Feb 27, 2013
    What are people complaining about? Its a simple, fun, easy to pick up, casual game thats very entertaining. Yes its a bum that you cant make your own game, but there are plenty of servers with people on them and empty servers (so you and your friends could join and vs one another) i find it very fun, either running around shooting people, or just blowing stuff up! everything is destructible so you can destroy and alter the map as much as you can in the time limit! you can also build your own little base or bunker with pre-set moulds you can use to instantly make them. This doesn't deserve the hate its getting, this is not as bad as people say it is and i would recommend this to everyone. (also, yes its different to the first, at least its not a copy paste game like Call Of Duty Modern warfare 2 and Call Of Duty Modern warfare 3) Expand
  58. Jan 26, 2013
    When I played the free version it worked and it was fun but the new class system ruins the whole game! The whole building idea is pointless due to the jet pack class just fly's over the whole map and the rocket class just blows it up faster than you can build. Do not buy this see if you can play the free version.
  59. Feb 6, 2013
    I'm sorry, but this game is HORRIBLE. It has a HORRENDOUS frame rate (and no, my computer does NOT suck), there are NO dedicated servers, NO mods, very few game modes, overpowered classes, TERRIBLE new design on the Commando class model, DISGUSTING animations, an unresponsive, uncaring, non-listening, bad choice-making publisher (i.e. Jagex), NO point in building (it can all be torn down or flied over easily,), horrendous servers, terrible lag, no servers for many countries (though Steam still allows people from those countries to buy the game), bad shooting, and all in all, it's just not fun. Jagex ruined this once F2P game, and wasted its potential. Thanks for reading my review, and have a great day. -Animefreak Expand
  60. Feb 11, 2013
    The original game was fresh, well designed, and fun. The reboot misses just about every point that made Ace of Spades fun. It could have been so much better.
  61. Jan 5, 2013
    I feel like there are a lot of butthurt people giving this game a zero mainly because it apparently used to be f2p and now because it costs a little cash it now sucks? I went a bought the game just because of that and gave it a 10. You guys are pathetic. Seriously pathetic. Review the game based off of gameplay not because your mommy wont give you the 5 or 10 bucks it costs to buy it. **** sad.
  62. Dec 21, 2012
    I was very excited to try this game when I saw it featured on Steam. I checked metacritic and found massive hate for it. Then I checked a gameplay video on youtube and found that it looked like a lot of fun. Then I re-read metacritic and realized that all the 0 scores were from people who played the old free version of it and don't like the many changes in the commercial version. I tried the free version today and it was a fun little game, but I still say I prefer this Jagex remake. The gameplay is fun if there are enough players around, and while it wasn't mindblowingly exciting, I still think I'm going to give this game a few hours of my time and think it deserves a better score. Expand
  63. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is definitely worth purchasing, I have no idea why the other reviews are so butthurt that Jagex changed the game. The gameplay is incredibly fun and can be very strategic. The classes are very balanced - the miner, a class which is mainly for terrain destruction, performs poorly at long range combat. The marksman excels at precise shots but has limited ammo and is mediocre in close quarters combat. The soldier shreds through enemy players at mid to close range, but is the slowest class. And the rocketeer has jet pack which will allow you to fly around the map (allows a few seconds of flight and then has to recharge for a couple seconds when you land) and his weapons are okay. My only issues with the game are that there is no mic support, and that the servers can be laggy at times (although today they were much better than yesterday, at the games launch). I am hoping the server cap gets expanded in the next few days as this game gets even more players to clear up some of the lag spells that have been occurring. So no, Jagex didn't ruin the game. This isn't a game about building creative stuff. It is about building quickly and efficiently when needed, without much care for aesthetics, and moreso about tearing down and destroying. In the end, this is a fun game that has a lot of potential for expansion, depending on what Jagex decides to do with it, but even in its current state, it is more than worth the $10 cost. Expand
  64. Dec 22, 2012
    OK, so I understand that maybe there might be some lag at points (I haven't had any problems though) and the sniper is weak, but this game is still great! There are multiple game types, including the Zombies! mode and there are a bunch of people playing, so you will never be in an empty lobby. If you played the old free version, then you know this is a huge upgrade. The only complaint I have is that I want a level editor. Besides that, it is a fantastic game that I have gladly played 26 hours of already!! PS: If your are lagging then maybe your are not on the correct server location. Expand
  65. Jan 7, 2013
    I've never played the original game but I don't understand why this game gets so much hate. It can be a little buggy at times but no word of a lie, I've spent many an hour playing this game and I've loved every part of it! fast paced destructive combat is extremely fun, it has its drawbacks but that doesn't mean that when you sit down and play this game you don't have fun, because I certainly do. People moan about it being too fast paced but I'm afraid that fast paced shooters are what kids want these days and if this game is a classic fast paced shooter, then I'm all for it because this game is great! Expand
  66. Jan 8, 2013
    This game is not just another fps game; with a block based game it never is. Though at its current state, this game may not entertain you but i have hope that eventually there will be more room for user created stuff, such as maps, gamemodes, mods, etc. somewhat like Minecraft or Garry's Mod. To all players of the beta version of this game, i too was saddened by the fact that it was not free, but the fact that it is on steam with Jagex means that updates and new stuff would come, for the sake of the players. All in all, not the best game YET, but because of all its potential, we have to hope Expand
  67. Jan 9, 2013
    I read SO many negative comments about this that I was quite nervous buying it, even though my friend kept telling me to get it. I gave it a try and I was totally surprised! Damn! It's awesome! Fun! Much better experience than I expected from these reviews. I've been playing for hours.

There are bugs and balancing issues, but it only takes a minute to find a different server if
    something goes wrong. I think the game was released too early, but it is already good and has big potential to be huge, IF the bugs are fixed and Jagex listens to the community. I played the original Ace of Spades too, and this is a different game. Not worse, just different. I like both and I will play both.

On metacritic and reddit there is now an organized campaign by angry fanboys of the original game, who don't want this new one to succeed. It's disgusting. A lot of them are acting like spoiled brats who didn't get exactly what they wanted, so now they're crying and screaming and determined to take AoS down. Look at all those people giving it zero points. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't even get WHY they are trying to destroy this game. They can still play the original. JAGEX even keep a link to the original game on their Ace of Spades website, so anyone can download it and play it for free. What more do these kids want? It makes me feel sick of the whole immature buildandshoot community
  68. Jan 11, 2013
    Ace of Spades is like the fast-paced and hilarious spawn of TF2 and Minecraft. I like that it has a casual game feel without too high of a hardware requirement, so I can just drop in and out and play for half and hour when I like. It's more than a casual game though. When you and your team undermine and demolish the enemy base to turn the game around in the last minute, it's epic. WARNING: Ace of Spades was built off of a free game, the fanboys of which have joined Metacritc in their droves to just to post 0 score reviews. Don't listen to them. This is a good game with good support. Most of the issues that those fanboys were whining about 3 weeks ago on Metacritic were already fixed. I don't like that you cant have your own server yet, but there are lots of official servers all round the world, lots of maps, lots of game modes. I think with the resources the dev company puts in, that this game is getting better every week Expand
  69. Jan 12, 2013
    Even if other say this game is bad, I think it is good overall. I had mixed feelings at first because Jagex remade it and RuneScape was a disaster. Although it turned out well. I do have negative thoughts about it, but it is lots of fun to play and I highly recommend it.
  70. Jan 14, 2013
    The game can be fun but there hasn't been any major updates or such yet and doesn't compare to the original free version. The description for the new snow blowing grief weapon doesn't even have a valid description. This game is disappointing.
  71. Jan 29, 2013
    A good idea based of an old MC mod, to create a stand alone game based on MC but more fighting and of course guns. Trouble is, it has been poorly executed. The game lacks features such as single player for practice and is very unclear on how to create games with friends if there is a way. The game play itself is not fluid enough to enjoy, with absolutely no balancing. Most of all is the abundance of hackers. Updates need to happen soon as people paid for this and deserve better! Expand
  72. May 20, 2013
    Fun Game-play, Laggy as Hell, Cheap Tactics, Clunky (Really annoying and hard to climb), No country separation (playing with people in Europe who don't speak English), Crappy Community, Not a whole lot to choose from, No server browse, only quick match which sucked at matching.

~Don't Look at the Critic Reviews They're Pointless~
  73. Jan 30, 2013
    Game is barely playable. Tombstones that explode, jetpacks that go super fast which you can't hit, buggy hitboxes for snipers, lack of dedicated servers. I looked over at Steam Discussions for Ace of Spades and found Jagex dodges requests for dedicated servers Regret buying this game.
  74. Feb 3, 2013
    The idea of this game isn't particularly new or original but it seemed like it might be fun and yeah it can be to a degree. I first tried this from the authors website and saw that it came with the ability to host your own dedicated server.. HATING BFx and CoDx games I thought this might tide me over until something a little deeper came along.. so I bought this from Steam was going to buy several copies infact. BUT the Steam version has no option to run as a dedicated server! Major no-no! If they fix this aspect I'll take another look and probably buy some more copies. Expand
  75. Feb 9, 2013
    Steam had lead me to believe this would be Minecraft with the elements of a FPS. It accomplished neither. I was particularly disappointed with the building aspects of the game. I appreciate the makers concepts, however the execution was with out many merits. Bottom line: not particularly fun to play
  76. Feb 12, 2013
    this this game suck, if you want a real game play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2, but this it's only bad graphics like the graphics of minecraft that game sucks and its full of bug and there are only servers on australia, that game, you readers and you jagex
  77. Feb 11, 2013
    My friend told me about this game like a month before it came out, and at first I was really excited about it.
    But after I bought the game, which is only about 5-6 dollars (because of the steam winter sale), I was very disappointing. It's just plain not fun. The only reason I'm not giving it a terrible score is because it's a pretty cheap game.
  78. Feb 14, 2013
    I picked this up during one of the Steam sales and despite all the negative reviews I personally love this game. I didn't play the beta before JAGEX bought it up so maybe that's why I have no problem with it. AoS is the game I've been playing and with the new content coming will still be playing for a long time.
  79. Feb 14, 2013
    Good game has flaws but is still tons of fun worth the $10. This game is kind of a let down and there is a lot of missed potential yet I keep coming back to this game.
  80. May 13, 2013
    I have never played the Beta, so I can not comment on how much better it was. I can, however, talk about how the game is today. When I first got the game, it worked... somewhat. It was fun, actually. The concept was great, the maps were good, but it crashed. A lot. In fact, the game crashed every 15-20 minutes! For a 'fully released' game, that is absolutely unacceptable! After uninstalling it, and leaving it sitting in my Steam account for a while, I decided to give it another try. I mean, the devs should have had the time to fix the bugs, right? Wrong. In fact, it is even worse now! After two crashes, the game won't even start. Literally, it just stops, right before even the black start-up screen! But the thing that really puts Ace of Spades in the hole for good is that instead of working hard to fix the bugs, Jagex is releasing DLC... Jagex is turning into EA, but without the eventual great game. (And the money) Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2013
    You're always left wishing there was more to the game. Lack of weapons, no campaign or even a plot and a lack of character suggestion. The music is ok but gets annoying after a while. However the game does require strategy and skill so that's a plus. Dlc offers minimum addition to the game and costs $5. In summary, I wish I had my money back
  82. Apr 4, 2013
    I'm not sure what all the hate is about, but iv'e had plenty of enjoyable hours in this game! The zombie mode for me is by far the most fun, the others are good but nothing beats building a small fortress and sniping zombies from afar. A few balance issues which sometimes fill me with rage, and a few methods of griefing that I hope will be sorted out at some point (like putting explosives under friendlies and killing them with fall damage), but i'd recommend it to play with some friends certainly. Expand
  83. Mar 19, 2013
    I, too, doubted the integrity of this game, but thought it sounded awesome! So when it came up as free to play this last weekend, I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did. These reviews say the game is broken or that it is unbalanced/unplayable, but from what I've played so far, I haven't noticed any problems! The game is what you'd expect from a game of minecraft, teams, and guns. The zombie mode is also really fun, though most people pick one of two classes. Either this game has come a long way, or some folks are just picky. It's inexpensive and very much worth your time! Expand
  84. Dec 19, 2012
    Ace of spades is Awesome but it is true the servers are locked down and well it also has problems but still the games is not done yet but still it is a great game
  85. Jan 12, 2013
    You people really stop your **** your just giving it unfair rating because you must pay for it and the game isn't even done! So stop complaining and enjoy a good game!
  86. Jan 23, 2013
    Brazil:

Bom o Jogo ta Otimo! Mas ele Devia Ter Nivel! Tipo Pra evoluir quanto mais nois matamos mais xp Nois Obtemos pra Ter Nossos Niveis! Quem Concorda?

Ingles:

Ta good game Great! But he should have Level! Type To evolve as more Nois killed more xp Nois We get to Having Our Levels! Who did you?
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    I think this game could be better, the game isn´t well executed, but the idea is good. Try to work more to get the public. This game could be better
  88. Feb 14, 2013
    I honestly enjoy this game. I understand there's a lot of beta testers that thing the publishers really messed it up. Coming from a long history of playing Team Fortress games, this is a welcome change. Granted, there are a few issues to be worked out (spawn camping being the biggest), most games I've had have been enjoyable and rewarding.
    For those not able to find a server you can play
    on, get some friends a copy of the game and hop on with them! For me, I've scored in the top 3 consistently with a ping over 300.
    Enjoy the game!
  89. Feb 16, 2013
    ----INTRODUCTION----
    I'm used to playing a lot of voxel based games/sandbox games I started with minecraft way back when it started it's beta phase and from there I fell in love with the genre and do anything to defend it from poor reviews. Ace of spades is trying to match something like throwing all the good sandbox games and a valve fps in a blender and setting it to high, aka trying to
    create a creative blocky fps smoothie. But once the consumer buys ace of spades they will be greeted with something that wasn't to their expectation
    ------PROS----------
    Well, if you haven't noticed already on the steam page it is only about 10 dollars (it was on sale at the time, about 7 dollars and came with a dlc pack) so it is worth a try if you got the money. when I was pushed into it, I was greeted with a (in my opinion) amazing throwback soundtrack which instantly kept me in even though I was searching for a game. The combat felt fluent for the most part and the classes felt balanced (except for that dahm sniper) and to what some players think it rewards you fairly well when you flank via digging or what building in general. Like most team based shooters however, it's most fun when playing with friends so I advise you do so. The gamemodes seem fairly straight forward and used in other games (tdm, ctf etc) they have a zombies mode which often made me feel like I was playing timesplitters virus mode (awwwww, nostalgia...) and a diamond collection mode (think of it like a neutral ctf a few games have used this gamemode). I'm hoping that the developers listen to what the community is saying and will fix any major flaws. After playing the current version of Guncraft I can say for certain that ace of spades is indeed better than it (but guncraft is in beta) and it is safe to say that ace of spades is generally better than most voxel based shooters.
    -------CONS-------
    Like I said, only fun with friends for the most part. It can get boring (not frustrating, just boring) halfway through your game when you're not playing with a friend. I find that the lack of reload animations make the game's devs look like they were being lazy. The lack of textures is ok for some and bad for others. I', fine with it personally. The annoying one shot sniper can make you break your keyboard over your leg because of how frustrating it can get. The lack of hud on the map can be annoying for some but not for all. It doesn't encourage teamkill and discourage lone-wolf style of playing despite it saying it's team based. The low amount of weapons to choose from can make the gameplay stale. The levels are cramped and closed off. Building/breaking the environment doesn't impact the match very significantly. No stand out gamemodes. And lastly, lack of certain region servers and creating a server!
    -----------RATING---------
    I rate this game a 6.5/10 because it does offer some fun gameplay but unless it's at a 5 dollar price I wouldn't recommend getting it nor if your friends don't own it.
  90. Feb 17, 2013
  91. Feb 21, 2013
    I've highly enjoyed Ace of Spades, picked it up on a steam sale with the DLC and it's become a goto game.

Here's why:
    Mash up's are fun Mixing the minecraft style and combat like Team Fortress 2 is a strange and enjoyable mix. Simplcity From the design it's self to the gameplay, there's noting here that requires a great deal of for-thought, making it a fun game to mindless play with
    friends. Zombie Mode Easily my personal favourite mode (though the VIP gangster is a close second), you can create all kinds of strange and impressive forts to try and keep the zombies at bay. (Personally, I've had great success with the miner with the snowball gun, building complicated spider like bridges to the ground in many locations, making it more difficult for the zombies to collapse the building under you. )

Clearly this game isn't for everyone, but the reviews here seem rather unfair to the game that lets you shoot a satellite down in the moon base map
  92. Feb 22, 2013
    Ace of Spades had a lot of potential and had incredibly cool ideas yet it fell short on almost every single aspect of a good FPS. Not only that but the scenery is hard on the eyes and easily makes the game less enjoyable. Long story short, do not buy this game, you will be wasting 10$.
  93. Feb 27, 2013
    after playing the free to play beta, this is a huge disappointment. It was action packed shooter goodness, along with the building style of Minecraft, and they were both combined in perfect harmony. Now they did improve upon some aspects, but in doing that, they ruined some, and even took some away. One of my favorite things to do in the beta was to tunnel under the map, but replace it with the same color block as the ground so no one would know. now, you place the same colored block as the team you are on, and gives away you position pretty easily. The classes is also a dumb idea, and it was better with just the three weapons. The classic mode fixes not having the different classes, but still, it has a lot of potential, that the developers did not capitalize on, and it is a huge disappointment in my opinion. Expand
  94. Apr 28, 2013
    This was not worth my time downloading it on the free weekend( (And it was like two minutes, Max). The game was disappointing and this is coming from a person who thought that it was a good game. (Minecraft and Team Fortress 2)
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    This game might be fantastic with a little more work, but as it stands, there are major bugs. Players are able to not only bring down an entire server, but make every player on that server have a client crash. Thus far, nothing is being done to the players abusing this bug and it has not been patched, not even in the latest update. Jagex is not paying enough attention to this game's major problems.

It's not all bad, though. If your game server isn't taken down, you'll find a twitch shooter in a world made from blocks. The blocks can be placed either individually, in a line, or as an instant "pre-fab" structure. They can also be destroyed, and structures with no support underneath them will collapse.

The previous complaints that you cannot set up your own game are now only half right. You still cannot set up a game server yourself. You can, however, set up a game on one of Jagex's servers with powers similar to a server host. You can set up the game type, player limit, password, and special rules, so this is at least a step in the right direction. You can also set up a match to only allow your Steam friends.

Other reviews claiming a lack of CTF mode or rifle are also false. Both are present in the current game. It has been a while since the last patch, but complaints from last year may no longer be valid. Instead, there is a new set of cons that continue to mar the game. However, the list is becoming more technical than match-based, so hopefully Jagex will continue to update and improve this game.
  96. Jul 23, 2013
    I don't see why everyone is hating now. Everyone is saying that the rocket launcher/drill gun/ most other weapons are O.P. but in the beta the rifle was basically the only weapon used because it had the distance to hit people. All these destructive weapons do is make it so guys can't camp up on a tiny spike with loads of connecting struts. It makes a change to have a FPS where you an actually fight instead of just get hit in the head with a sniper bullet 600m away from where you stand. Yeah a guy may stand at your spawn or miles off and just spawn amp you but their bullets will nock out a nook for you to hide in and shoot them from. Destruction is a key feature and should be praised for being unique not condemned for not being as well implemented as it could be, it's not a £15 million game. When you look at this game just remember: This is NOT COD! It is NOT a blockbuster game. It COULD have been a blocky FPS with NO creativity. This is an FPS with something different that if a big company, like dice or Bungie or someone like that, there to add it to one of their massive games it would be a huge success. Expand
  97. Mar 15, 2013
    this game had a free weekend on steam this week, so i decided to give it a try. after about an hour, I have to say, this game feels almost broken. combat is boring, the building does not work half the time, and most objectives revolve around camping in an area and killing anybody who enters.

Only fun thing to do in this game is cutting down trees with your sniper.
  98. Apr 27, 2013
    The original was a good game... then Jagex ruined it with their shoddy coding, poor decisions, and bad advertising. Avoid at all costs and sign up for the Guncraft beta.
  99. Mar 17, 2013
    EVERYBODY PLEASE READ THIS: I have no idea where these reviews are coming from. Okay, there are a few bugs, and you cannot create your own server- but the game is FUN. The game is extremely fun, and has many modes to keep you interested. The initial launch was a disaster- but now that they fixed the major problems, this is a really great game. This game is not a 10- It is more like a 7.5- but with all these awful reviews from irrational people- I need to average this out. Expand

1. Mar 15, 2013
    There might be some good ideas in there somewhere but Ace of Spades has no game in it. In the Minecraft it was the beauty of it, but concept doesn't work if you will try to make a FPS. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    On paper it sounds like it could be a winning combination, and perhaps this will improve as the game evolves, but in practice the play styles don't mesh well together, seemingly diametrically opposed at times.
  3. Feb 18, 2013