Advent Rising PC

8.8

1. MortenB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    It is 100% linear game that you can complete in about 10 hours - the psychic powers you learn are almost identical to the force powers in the 3rd person action adventure starwars games more than foru years ago - if you think a short lifespan game using 5 years old gameplay, then then by all means buy this game. the only good thing you can say about this game is that the story is catchy,It is 100% linear game that you can complete in about 10 hours - the psychic powers you learn are almost identical to the force powers in the 3rd person action adventure starwars games more than foru years ago - if you think a short lifespan game using 5 years old gameplay, then then by all means buy this game. the only good thing you can say about this game is that the story is catchy, but playing a game just to unlock new prerendered cut scenes isnt enough to pull this game above 50% Too much linear hack and slash and too little rpg/freedom. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2015
    I was quite disappointed with this game. It has a pretty cool sci-fi setting, and the main characters from what I've experienced so far seemed decent enough. But the gameplay is just so rough around the edges that the game becomes a test of patience a lot of the time.

The combat seems fun and all. Some battles in the beginning were quite fun, especially with the whole chaos going on aboard the space station. However, that whole area was just gunfight after gunfight. And when you're not engaging in gunfights, you're crossing vast areas doing nothing but walking, like the first plains area right after the space station. I spent a good minute or so crossing it, then died in a battle, then had to cross it again, two more times.

And shortly after that there was a car driving section. The control for the car is quite awkward, and I ended up giving up when I kept failing to make it over a gap between the cliffs whilst trying to dodge enemy gunfire. It's not my idea of fun. If you thought controlling Mako in Mass Effect was bad, think again.

In addition to frustrations in the gameplay, the game also crashes a lot. You can't save when you want, and checkpoints are quite far apart, so every time the game crashes to desktop, you lose a lot of progress.

There are some good ideas present regarding the setting, and some of the mechanics are nice, like doing dodging manoeuvres during gunfights, but in general the game feels very rough and even unpolished, with no regard to the player's time, so I can't recommend it.
  3. Oct 3, 2014
    One of my all-time favorite games. Amazing story and music, and such an amazing feeling of power as you blow away your enemies. The ONLY reason I have to dock it points is the sheer number of glitches. Between the freezes and the missed global triggers, you'll be forced to replay a few sections more than you'd ever like to, though at least it gives you a menu (great feature, believe itOne of my all-time favorite games. Amazing story and music, and such an amazing feeling of power as you blow away your enemies. The ONLY reason I have to dock it points is the sheer number of glitches. Between the freezes and the missed global triggers, you'll be forced to replay a few sections more than you'd ever like to, though at least it gives you a menu (great feature, believe it or not) to skip cutscenes. All in all, a very great game. [And don't miss the cheat codes ;)] Expand

1. Play Magazine
    A few rough edges aside, Advent Rising is gaming's latest and most promising future epic. [July 2005, p.74]
    It brings original ideas and a good dose of personality to a genre that often focuses too much on just shooting people in the face. If you are able to ignore some technical shortcomings and enjoy cut-scenes and character development, this title is worth a look.
  3. It's short but it's good. There are some flaws that you need to overlook but there's nothing here that will ruin the entire experience. The lack of a co-op or multi-player modes reduces the replay value but you can go back and experiment with different combinations of powers.