7.6

1. Apr 9, 2013
    To start of this review, the score I would like to give is a 9. I give a 10 to compensate for people who judge before a game is even out. For the HD part: they managed to up the resolution to max and also retexture a 14 year old engine, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. Regarding the framedrops: when we got the privilege to play the game before it is officially out doesn't meanTo start of this review, the score I would like to give is a 9. I give a 10 to compensate for people who judge before a game is even out. For the HD part: they managed to up the resolution to max and also retexture a 14 year old engine, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. Regarding the framedrops: when we got the privilege to play the game before it is officially out doesn't mean they will have every bug fixed, otherwise they could just release it for everyone at that time. As soon as they heard about this problem the devs posted on multiple multimedia sites and their own site that they are working on the problem right now. The game has been out for a few minutes now while people know that the devs are doing their best to work on the issues, so please show some patience. The real addition of this however is the online. The servers for the original AOE II were pulled long ago, and now we have new servers to play this still awesome game online with friends. Oh, and did I mention steam workshop? This means that we will see a lot more mods to keep te game alive even longer. All in all, a great idea worked out great, with some bugs at the start. It's also a nice way to show that for some games it doesn't matter how old they are, it's all about the gameplay, just like how you don't care about graphics when playing a cardgame. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2015
    A very good RTS/City Building/Human Management game. You have wide selection of start-up nations/groups to pick from and are not restricted doing anything you can have a huge population, city, etc. If it goes on sale again for a few dollars it's worth it. Also it has a lot of mod support which is a huge plus.
  3. Feb 12, 2016
    Still holds up well and a blast to play, even 16 years later. Factions are varied and the diversity in playstyles is great. Still looks decent graphically. My favorite of the series.
  4. Jul 2, 2015
    I'm not one who writes tons of reviews but after seeing some of the negative reviews here I had to give my two cents. Age of Empires II is my absolute favorite game to play. I started playing the original Age of Empires and Age of Empires II soon after they first came out and have loved them ever since. It has been sold in Walmart stores until recently and there is a good reason. It''s aI'm not one who writes tons of reviews but after seeing some of the negative reviews here I had to give my two cents. Age of Empires II is my absolute favorite game to play. I started playing the original Age of Empires and Age of Empires II soon after they first came out and have loved them ever since. It has been sold in Walmart stores until recently and there is a good reason. It''s a classic! Anyone who likes strategy and matching their wits against a computer or multiple computer players should give this game a shot. The updated HD version is just that... High Definition. It is nothing less than what it claims to be. So for those who have given poor reviews to the game, I would look at the original intent that was behind releasing Age of Empires ii HD. I personally was delighted to see that there was a new version that was more compatible with current operating systems and was capable of running at a much higher resolution than the original. As a Huge added bonus Steam servers allow online game play for your multi-player games which is nice since the original games no longer had online servers for multiplayer games.
    Despite what some may say about no updates to the game besides better graphics, I would say look again. While staying true to the original game play for the most part, the creators of this HD version have made a few great enhancements to the game such as being able to put farms in queue so you don't have to keep replanting your farms every five minutes. There are other slight modifications similar to that. For those who wanted to revisit a classic game this is for you. For those who want more updates I think you're really wanting a completely different game and you should probably look elsewhere. Just another example of how awesome this game is... My wife and my sister who are not into video games at all were finally persuaded to give this game a try and after playing a couple of times they have both fallen in love with it and I have even come home from work or school to find out that my wife was playing it while the kids napped. This game has the power to convert people to it. Give it a shot!
  5. Jul 27, 2015
    It's exactly as one would expect - AoE II gameplay with updates, and a user-friendly multiplayer lobby. Hotkeys are improved, and all bugs have been fixed. This is a game that doesn't get old.
  6. Sep 7, 2015
    To me, this is the best RTS game ever. It has multiple possible strategies, is very diverse and almost any pc can run it. Some people dont like having to micromanage an army of like 80, but if you practice youll see this game rocks.
  7. Mar 23, 2016
    HD remake of the best strategic game ever. There are not many major changes, just addition of HD resolution and few civilisations. There are some bugs and framedrops. Finally there is a large online community and you can easily find players online. In overall I am satisfied with this game.
  8. Mar 11, 2014
    Age of Empires II HD is a fantastic game. The best RTS ever created. I give 10 for graphics 10 for gameplay 10 for fun. I love this game ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
  9. Jul 1, 2014
    Nice HD version of one of the best games ever. Still enjoyable today. Multiplayer games are laggy sometimes, if one of the clients has a bad Internet connection.
  10. Oct 6, 2014
    Great game, Age of Empires ll HD repack is one of the most memorable and best strategy games available, this repack allows for HD resoloutons such as 1920x1080 for users in which were unable to obtain it in the first version of the game, hence the name "HD Edition" This game also has an exception ally fun multiplayer whether playing with friends or on Game ranger it always producesGreat game, Age of Empires ll HD repack is one of the most memorable and best strategy games available, this repack allows for HD resoloutons such as 1920x1080 for users in which were unable to obtain it in the first version of the game, hence the name "HD Edition" This game also has an exception ally fun multiplayer whether playing with friends or on Game ranger it always produces exhilarating action and fast paced action, definitely recommend to the lovers of the strategy category. Well done Ensemble Studios and Microsoft Games for a great series! Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    The Little Mod That Could.
    A Franchise Refurbished, Yet a Missed Opportunity.
    The Little Mod That Could.
    A Franchise Refurbished, Yet a Missed Opportunity.

The age of empires series is one of fame. After 13 years it can still be purchased (along with its expansion, The Conquerors) at Wal-Mart and Office Depot. This "new" title is an attempt at sprucing up one of the most beloved games of the franchise. It is amazingly rare to see an old property being brought back to life and updated, especially by a parent company that is only looking forward to the next big buck, and are willing to drop any title not making 500% profit (AOE Online was scrapped after a year in the wild, and much needed updates to many games still hang in limbo at EA). Only the bigwigs know what made them bring this one back, but we are glad to see some dust wiped off of our past every once in a while. Developer "Hidden Path" was contracted to shine up the series fav and bring it into the new age of gaming, they fixed important things and they didn't fiddle around where it wasn't needed, but they missed a couple of points that would have made it into a new age RTS diamond.

First of all, I must thank hidden path for finally raising the unit cap, but why only 500? While it is a good 2.5x higher than before, our machines are 250x more powerful than the Pentium II 200mhz it was originally designed for. I can only guess that much of the core engine remains as it was, and 500 was the highest they could go without breaking it. Even though the cap has been raised, you can still only select 20 units at a time. Was it something that was overlooked? not likely. Here is another notch in the theory of a stretched engine. They just couldn't do more without overhauling the back end.

While we are on the graphics, The reason it has HD in the title is the ability to hit 1920x1080, (and beyond for multi monitor rigs) whereas the original topped out at 1024x768. I agree with the general consensus in that the overhauled building and unit models are amazing, but once again the elderly engine comes through showing us no shadows, no zoom, and no visual effect updates. These are an almost standard feature of today's even bargain bin games that they missed completely. Does it detract from gameplay? Not really. Could they have spent a little more time bringing the graphics engine into this decade without effecting gameplay? yes.

The multiplayer. What can I say here? Game Zone worked (kinda) back in the day, but thankfully we have learned from those early days and have integrated the game wholly into Steam's online network with only a few launch bugs and some early lag issues (to be continued). What this means is a front row ticket to a beautifully seamless multiplayer before-game matching experience, but completely removes the LAN option that, like me, so many young geeks had permanently set up in their basements just for this. Inclusion with the Workshop will make mod and map finding a breeze, and I believe the good outweighs the bad here, but somehow there is still a bad taste somewhere in my mind from losing our offline multiplayer. (single play is still allowed offline).

The music score has been redone, but I can still pound the number keys for WOLOLOOO and "I Need Wood". No complaints there.

All-in-all it was well worth the $12 preorder, and it is the authentic Age Of Kings/Conquerors experience, but the lack of improvements to the gameplay, and the surface improvement to the graphics makes this game feel more like a decent mod than a blockbuster.

(For further fiddling- the mod "Forgotten Empires" does everything this HD remake does, plus adds hours of single player campaigns, and a good dozen fixes)
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    AoE2 HD is AoE2 with a few updates. It's AoE2. Shall I repeat that? When I first played the original, which is essentially the same, I rated the game a 10/10. With the new updates, the "HD", and the few bugs it has at intial launch, I would rate it about a 8/10. Why?

Like some have already stated there could have been a lot more done to the game to enhance it visually. Also there is/was a bug at intial release that gave XP users problems with playing at all. Lastly, in multiplayer there seems to be a bit of a lag issue, almost seems like video lag, but it doesn't make the game unplayable. Seeing how it's only been released a few days now (if you pre-ordered), I would assume a patch is coming. So I wouldn't take anyone seriously yet about the bugs in the game. Most every game these days has bugs at release, and for every game there's users on Metcritic that will just give a game a 0 because they are whining about bugs.

If your new to AoE2, and into the RTS genre i'd check it out. Maybe find a friend that has it, and see if you can't play a bit. It has always been an awesome RTS. Don't expect new cutting edge graphics. This is an older game. Then again if graphics are what you base your gaming experience on... well..
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    Now most of the bugs have been fixed, this is a very good game, definitely worth the money. Compared to the original, it has some nicer textures (e.g. fog of war, water), Steam leaderboards, achievement, and a good multiplayer community. Patches are still being released, so I recommend it;.
  14. Jun 9, 2013
    Nostalgia I always loved AoE II back in time. I think this AoE II HD Edition is a great rework of that great game. Why did you (people) judged the game before it was out? I had no problems with it, I loved it. Steam Workshop, better Multiplayer (The ranking system could be better, they are working on it!), remastered textures, more beautiful water (I liked that, my favourite improvementNostalgia I always loved AoE II back in time. I think this AoE II HD Edition is a great rework of that great game. Why did you (people) judged the game before it was out? I had no problems with it, I loved it. Steam Workshop, better Multiplayer (The ranking system could be better, they are working on it!), remastered textures, more beautiful water (I liked that, my favourite improvement :D), resolution support to very high (I've seen someone who played it on 5 monitors), Steam Achievements. Others said it's full of bugs. But it isn't!!! I bought the game yesterday, no bugs or any problems at all so far (I played Singleplayer and Multiplayer, not for a single time). I think the 68 Metascore is too severe. It's much better than that. And the most important thing: THEY ARE WORKING ON IT! It's version 2.3, 2.4 is on the way, it will come out in 2-3 days. I recommend this game to anyone who played AoE 10-15 years ago! Expand
  15. Apr 9, 2013
    This was amazing at the time the original released. The thing is, that hasn't changed. The game-play is that of a classic, simple RTS. Yes there are bugs, but the game isn't out yet, and they are being fixed.

The title is a bit misleading however. I would recommend it be changed to AoE Steam Edition, because the steam functionality is much sweeter than the improved graphics, but that's just my opinion.

If you are just looking for a fun game to play with friends, or a competitive RTS that isn't a Starcraft title, I would recommend this.
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    Even after a decade this game is a master piece.I recommend it to anyone who loves RTS games.As for the hd version,it's not much of a difference except the fact that structures has been redesigned to look better.Anyway if you ask me the game is worth it and I think you should buy it.
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    I remember the old day's of age of empire's 2 but i couldn't find the disk. Then this amazing game came out remastered on steam and oh my god this was one of the best game's i have every played. I have spent 30 hour's on it so far there would be much more if i could play it on the holiday's but i can't. I love this game, the ai are amazing, the amount of buildings and units make this gameI remember the old day's of age of empire's 2 but i couldn't find the disk. Then this amazing game came out remastered on steam and oh my god this was one of the best game's i have every played. I have spent 30 hour's on it so far there would be much more if i could play it on the holiday's but i can't. I love this game, the ai are amazing, the amount of buildings and units make this game much more funner than age of empires 1 and 3. The game also give's you a scenario creator which is so amazing to create your own war's and siege's 10/10 love this game, must buy. Expand
  18. Oct 28, 2013
    Of course the game is don't have that much new in it, it is called "AOE2HD Edition" because it is just HD of AOE2. But think about what the game have, much better matchmaking, so that people can play online without a worry in the world. And that is something I personally are very glad for, since I don't want to experience something like Crusader Kings 2 matchmaking/creating games onlineOf course the game is don't have that much new in it, it is called "AOE2HD Edition" because it is just HD of AOE2. But think about what the game have, much better matchmaking, so that people can play online without a worry in the world. And that is something I personally are very glad for, since I don't want to experience something like Crusader Kings 2 matchmaking/creating games online again. And we got the workshop, which have made people making mods again for the game, making the game better or just simply more fun with taunt packs. It is very well made, and I am glad that they didn't change much. It was good as it is. And now they are even giving out the "Forgotten Empires" expansion pack. Which is even more great news, since that just shows that they are continuing to improve the game. Just like the patches that we have gotten lately. Expand
  19. May 16, 2014
    An epic collection of epicness. PLAY THIS GAME! It has everything the first one did, along with some glitch fixes and improved AI. Most of the ppl who rate this game poorly did so before the game left Beta.
  20. Dec 4, 2013
    An excellent game! I can't really add to what some of the other positive reviews are saying: It's classic, endless playability, yet quickly becomes familiar and easy to improve your performance. It's an incredibly satisfying game to play, and the option of allying with other players and combining your empires, armies and tactics is so fun. The random maps are all unique and cool to exploreAn excellent game! I can't really add to what some of the other positive reviews are saying: It's classic, endless playability, yet quickly becomes familiar and easy to improve your performance. It's an incredibly satisfying game to play, and the option of allying with other players and combining your empires, armies and tactics is so fun. The random maps are all unique and cool to explore and use geography to your advantage. The economy military balance is extremely intriguing as well.

If you've played the original, it is not any different except some of the graphics are smoother, the max pop cap is at 500, and there is support for online multiplayer and a thriving community both in-game and in steam workshop.

Cons: There is an annoying unit selection limit, (like 30 units?) and the continuity when playing multiplayer online is dependent on everyone having a fast connection. If even one player has a slow connection or slow computer, the game will lag very badly, especially when many units are on the map. Even with adequate connection speeds, I wouldn't recommend setting the pop cap much over 300 in a 6 to 8 player game.

Redeeming fact: They are working on patches and continuing support for the game. Playability and technical issues have been improved and will hopefully continue to improve.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    An underwhelming re-release of a fantastic game. Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's the 'HD Edition' tacked on at the end of the title which serves as misleading. It appears to be nothing more than the same game released back in '99 with two different display settings and a fancy new title. However, despite this it is still an incredibly fun and satisfyingAn underwhelming re-release of a fantastic game. Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's the 'HD Edition' tacked on at the end of the title which serves as misleading. It appears to be nothing more than the same game released back in '99 with two different display settings and a fancy new title. However, despite this it is still an incredibly fun and satisfying RTS, that holds up nicely in 2014. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2014
    I don't know what people were expecting. It's an HD port of the greatest game of all time. They didn't add anything new (initially) because there was nothing that had to be added. With the Forgotten, easier matchmaking, and wider screen sizes: the game has surpassed its original. Now that we're a year past the release, they've fixed virtually every crippling bug and even released anI don't know what people were expecting. It's an HD port of the greatest game of all time. They didn't add anything new (initially) because there was nothing that had to be added. With the Forgotten, easier matchmaking, and wider screen sizes: the game has surpassed its original. Now that we're a year past the release, they've fixed virtually every crippling bug and even released an exclusive scenario.

I can understand the metacritic rating at the terrible half-assed release, but the team has fixed all those errors at this point. AoE2 has truly aged like fine wine. And with beautiful 2D graphics, a top tier soundtrack, a wonderful comfy feel, and infinite replayability: Even the HD version can't ruin the king's spot at the top of all games.
  23. May 31, 2014
    It is AoE2.. so it gets a 10. The price tag is not crazy... you are basically paying for ease of service for Multiplayer. Those complaining about no LAN can just purchase a cheap copy of the original game to use. People pay a monthly service fee for this kind of service for other platforms/games.

AoE2 is what RTS should be and is. New RTS games are so simplistic with no real micro/macro skills required. I am ecstatic that they put this on steam to allow easy multiplayer games a reality once again.

The expansion that came from a modding community is nothing new. I am not sure why people are shocked/upset.
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    Age of Empires II was and still is easily one of the best RTS titles of its time, rivaled only by Starcraft. Even after 14 long years, AoE II is still very playable. HD Edition offers nothing more than a way for Windows 7 users to play the game in full 1080p+ without visual glitches and uses steam integration to make connecting to other players easier. I enjoy the fact the title wasAge of Empires II was and still is easily one of the best RTS titles of its time, rivaled only by Starcraft. Even after 14 long years, AoE II is still very playable. HD Edition offers nothing more than a way for Windows 7 users to play the game in full 1080p+ without visual glitches and uses steam integration to make connecting to other players easier. I enjoy the fact the title was untouched gameplay-wise, because I felt the original game was already very complete and well-rounded.

There was definitely some missed potential here... but that's not what I expected anyways. I just wanted a 1080p version of my favorite RTS game. Worth every penny.
  25. Apr 15, 2013
    Age of Empires 2 was my favorite game growing up as a kid. I was so excited when I heard that it was coming to Steam with modern resolution support, matchmaking multiplayer, and steam achievements. $20 may seem like a lot because the game came out a long time ago, but it was updated and had a lot of work done to work on modern computers. $20 is nothing and seems like a fair price. I loveAge of Empires 2 was my favorite game growing up as a kid. I was so excited when I heard that it was coming to Steam with modern resolution support, matchmaking multiplayer, and steam achievements. $20 may seem like a lot because the game came out a long time ago, but it was updated and had a lot of work done to work on modern computers. $20 is nothing and seems like a fair price. I love this game, already dumped 50+ hours into it in the last 2-3 weeks. Expand
  26. Apr 10, 2013
    Well This game deserves to be a 9/10. Why? Lets go over with the basics: Age of Empires II was at a score of 92% while the Conquerors expansion is about 88% in total reviews. This game includes the actual Ages of Kings as well as the Conquerors. The gameplay in fact is the same as having those two games (nothing new except for the 500 population cap, widescreen support, Steam Workshop,Well This game deserves to be a 9/10. Why? Lets go over with the basics: Age of Empires II was at a score of 92% while the Conquerors expansion is about 88% in total reviews. This game includes the actual Ages of Kings as well as the Conquerors. The gameplay in fact is the same as having those two games (nothing new except for the 500 population cap, widescreen support, Steam Workshop, Steam servers and leaderboard). The water, fire, cliffs, trees and effects have changed in order to make the game more HD. Single player is still the same but for the multiplayer, it was fixed before (last time, the players were out of sync). Well, this game deserves a gold. Expand
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a great Strategy game just for $20 dollar's and if you are a long time fan of the game then i recommend because the game is really fun and feels just like AoE2 just like back then. And with gamesworkshop you can even get new maps new game modes and texture packs.
  28. May 10, 2013
    This is a great game! My favorite strategy of all time! I can't understand how many people speak against it... Some saying it's the same game, well what did you expect? It's written in a ancient program language, it was so hard for the developers to even do what they did and make it compatible with all the windows versions. Second of all, if it was changed, the same people would have beenThis is a great game! My favorite strategy of all time! I can't understand how many people speak against it... Some saying it's the same game, well what did you expect? It's written in a ancient program language, it was so hard for the developers to even do what they did and make it compatible with all the windows versions. Second of all, if it was changed, the same people would have been saying "ah it's not the same, they ruined it"... just the common trolls in the internet.. I am really happy that they did not change this classic in the strategy genre. For me the expansion The conquerors changed the original age of empires game too much and I was not happy with this, but I accepted it, and I'm really happy they did not do this again. For everyone who loves age of empires, and want to play it with players, I recommend buying it. It has 4-5k players in steam all the time, and it's great! it has a workshop, where you can change some of the skins like farms, mines, terrain, etc. Thank you for bringing my favorite strategy back to life!!!! Full respect!!! Expand
  29. Apr 9, 2013
    Great game since 1999. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  30. Jan 15, 2014
    Age of Empires II: HD brings back a heap of Nostalgia to me, playing this game reminds me of the days when graphics wasn't an issue, i like how they have kept the sprite style, some people are against that I know, some think it's for the better that they left it, others despise it probably just to try and get a tear-jerk'er, who knows, I don't care the game in my book is still 100% amazing.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Mixed emotions, overall. On the one hand we have the same graphics, not at all improved. On the other, Steam offers functional multiplayer and workshop support, that breathe life into an old game. [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 13, 2013
    Let me make a list of all the changes introduced in the HD version of Age of Empires II - higher resolution. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.77]
  3. May 5, 2013
    Unfortunately Age of Empires II HD isn't a very impressive update. It disappoints graphically and not much has been done to improve or modernize it. The gameplay is still strong though, and Age of Empires II still shows how balanced and detailed strategy games can be. With the addition of the Steam Workshop there's enough potential here for the game to be given a new look. Too bad this is left up to the players though.