8.0

1. Feb 20, 2012
    When I saw this was a microsoft game. I honestly reset my expectations to expect something a very linear and probably quite corny. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by AW. The game has some enhancement for the PC. Things like the crippling FOV you see on many console ports are not a problem here. The game is enjoyable and atmospheric. It is very linear but then due to the nature ofWhen I saw this was a microsoft game. I honestly reset my expectations to expect something a very linear and probably quite corny. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by AW. The game has some enhancement for the PC. Things like the crippling FOV you see on many console ports are not a problem here. The game is enjoyable and atmospheric. It is very linear but then due to the nature of the game this is to be expected, the linear nature of the game is not to the point where you dont feel in control and it plays very well. The location are is good although the game could bear some better textures it is generally very pretty. I have seen many complaints here and on steam about poor performance but I play using a quadfire so have not experienced this problem. However, I have encountered a stonking great bug in the final episodes of the game which prevent me from completing the game. Basically the script seems to have broken down. Required taken dont spawn and an event which is required for progression will not start. A very disappointing end to a game I was enjoying immensely. (Playtime approx 20-25 hours.) Overall, I would say a bit short but due to the atmosphere, story and environment in general I would say this would have been a very good buy for the 20 Euro I paid on steam if it didnt have this cataclysmic bug in my save game. Expand
  2. Apr 30, 2012
    I waited for Alan Wake for years, promised from the hyped press that i would get a twin-peaked-stephen-king immersive and psychotic game. I loved Max Payne 1&2. I still love horror games. Sadly i was disappointed.
    The game is well packed, nice graphics, cure for the details, amazing audio but it smells clichè from the very beginning. The storyline is somewhat interesting but sure isn't original and the pace is broken by the action part of the game, totally separated from the narration. It's like watching a - often mediocre - cut scene, starting to merge with the story and the characters and then been thrown in the same level over and over, in the dark woods, craving for a source of light, some ammo and the next checkpoint, hoping to end it quickly to go back to the real part of the game. Yeah, it's like this. Reach a location, watch a brief scene, find yourself in the woods at night, follow an absolute linear path through enemies, find that the only difficulties in engaging them is the poor camera control and the low ammo resources, reach the next location, start over. And that's not all, since the devs should have come to realize that this sucked hard they added a lot of manuscript pages to pick up during the "exploration" (read: straight on walk), the sad thing is that this poor written pieces of paper contain spoilers about your next location and the next chunk of story, making it even less interesting to watch.
    This game should have been a 9 for its atmospheres and its potential. Don't buy it unless its price falls under 10$.
  3. Feb 16, 2012
    Console port well done.

Suspenseful, unique, well thought game with an interesting story and satisfying combat that makes you come back session after session, or more like episode after episode. Since the gameplay hasn't changed from the original Xbox 360 version I'll just give my opinion of the port quality. The porting from Xbox 360 to PC has gone pretty much perfectly and you do get
    Console port well done.

The porting from Xbox 360 to PC has gone pretty much perfectly and you do get the 2 DLC's and spiced up graphics among other PC only stuff. It runs butter smooth on my 1½ year old $800 PC and mouse and keyboard controlling has been well implemented - actually forgot even to try it with my gamepad as I felt right at home with the mouse controlling the aiming and quickly switching between weaponry on my keyboard. The thumb buttons of my gaming mouse couldn't be keybound but I think it will be patched in no time. No biggie for me since there isn't that many keybindings needed anyways.

Only obvious giveaway that it is in fact a console port are the lower quality cut-scenes which I suppose are the very same from the Xbox 360 version - a bit weird having a much better looking actual gameplay than the cut-scenes.

So if I wouldn't know any better and apart from the cut-scenes I couldn't tell that it's a console port nor that it's a 2 year old game for that matter - very well job done indeed.

As for the game in general - if you like story-driven games and have the mindset for a rather scary survival-action gameplay than this is definitely the game for you. AAA-class game and the price for the new PC version really is a bargain.

9/10 in comparison to other this gen. games. Apart from the cut-scenes and some few very minor flaws like the awkward car handling in the non-essential driving parts - my high expectations were fulfilled.
  4. Jun 23, 2012
    I am certain Alan Wake will garner many positive reviews that focused on the story and its "unusual" style and presentation. I admit, it is interesting and would make an excellent book or movie. The problem is that even the best novel can be turned into a bad computer game and that is essentially what has happened here.

The story unfolds over the coarse of 20 hours as you run from one

The story unfolds over the coarse of 20 hours as you run from one well lit area to the next, fighting waves of the exact same 4 monsters, using the exact same 4 weapons and the exact same strategy all the way to the end. The Enemy AI is rudimentary. The soundtrack is non-existent. Alan Wake will occasionally narrate and explain a new revelation, or what he is feeling or what you need to do next.

The game lacks tradition incentives to keep you playing. There are no choices, no dialogue trees, no weapon upgrades, no level-ups. Even Alan Wakes own survival is tied to the plot and thus never seems to be in question. The game thrusts you into the action without spending sufficient time on character development and then tells you that you need to do X, Y and Z if you wish to save various people you don't care about. This might work in a book or movie were we are simply spectators along for the ride, but it is asking a lot in a game where players must invest 20 hours of their own time to progress the story. I constantly found myself asking the question, "Do I really care about these people? Do I even care what happens to Alan Wake? Why do I need a key to open this door when I have a shotgun in my hand?" As a result, it is easy to lose interest. This is one of the few games I have played in my life that I have had to force myself to finish. Somewhere along the way, Remedy lost that balance between making a game with a good story and a game that is still fun to play. People invest in computers and pay top dollar for games because they want more than books or movies can offer. My advice: Buy BioShock or replay Indigo Prophecy. You can skip this one.
  5. Feb 18, 2012
    The story is very interesting but the gameplay leaves much to be desired. It's incredibly linear in the sense that 90% of the time you are just following a path in the woods while you shine your flashlight on enemies and finish them off with your gun. There's some distractions in the shape of puzzles but even those are just rehashed over and over again. It just feels like you're watching aThe story is very interesting but the gameplay leaves much to be desired. It's incredibly linear in the sense that 90% of the time you are just following a path in the woods while you shine your flashlight on enemies and finish them off with your gun. There's some distractions in the shape of puzzles but even those are just rehashed over and over again. It just feels like you're watching a movie but you have to work your way through tedious and repetitive gameplay to actually get to the story. The repetitiveness of the gameplay aside most of what's happening is also very predictable. You just KNOW you're about to get attacked when you find more than a fair amount of ammo, and when you've gone through part of the story where you don't have weapons and you finally find some again; guess how long it takes before you get to use them? More than anything I just feel frustrated playing this game, frustrated by being force-fed terrible, predictable and linear gameplay just to get to what seems like a good story. Expand
  6. Feb 17, 2012
    I have only one question: why console exclusives are so much better than multiplatform games? The best videogame story i've ever seen in my life. Moreover, 2 years after release, but the game still looks simply awesome. Thank you, Remedy, for porting this masterpiece to PC. Great story, great graphics, atmosphere, sound, gameplay. I'm very impressed.
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    While at first glance this looked like a great game - I was looking forward to it for some time - it soon disappointed me horribly. The beginning was promising, only to become a tedious, boring variation of 16-second-cutscenes and 10 minutes of run-through-the-woods-while-taken-chase-you bit. Unnerving indeed. The story is nothing new, but fitting, the problem is that finding theWhile at first glance this looked like a great game - I was looking forward to it for some time - it soon disappointed me horribly. The beginning was promising, only to become a tedious, boring variation of 16-second-cutscenes and 10 minutes of run-through-the-woods-while-taken-chase-you bit. Unnerving indeed. The story is nothing new, but fitting, the problem is that finding the manuscript pages is pretty much an ingame-spoiler that tells you exactly what is going to happen in the next cutscene. I was really hoping forward to an intelligently written, atmospheric horror game - that is probably why I didn't enjoy it much. You can say that this is my personal problem, but I don't think there's many people out there that are searching for something like this when there are better action- and horrorgames out there, while Alan Wake is a mediocre fusion of both. I'm not even going to start on how terribly clunky console-ported controls feel at times because this seems to be standard in the industry as of now. Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2012
    This game I waited for a long time. I was very angry, when PC version was stopped. At last, now, when this game come on PC, I playing this game with pleasure.
  9. Feb 25, 2012
    This game is waste of great potential, which was killed few years ago, when Remedy suddenly shifted to console market from PC, this cause a lot of troubles, forced them to waste to many time to port code to Xbox and optimize (downgrade graphics, physics, etc) it for crappy hardware, and because of this they have too little time to work game content itself, which forced them to cut half ofThis game is waste of great potential, which was killed few years ago, when Remedy suddenly shifted to console market from PC, this cause a lot of troubles, forced them to waste to many time to port code to Xbox and optimize (downgrade graphics, physics, etc) it for crappy hardware, and because of this they have too little time to work game content itself, which forced them to cut half of game which wasn't well-polished. From a great open world survival-horror-adventure, game squeezed to boring linear light-em-shoot-em-up, with many game design flaws, including total lack of melee combat which existed in almost every survival horror since the old days, because ammo is always limited in this genre and whenever you out of ammo you should fight your way with fists, pipes, axes, and everything... or you could just run away, but in Alan Wake you can not do either. Seriously, Alan cant even run like normal man, his run ability somewhere close to fat grandpa at the edge of heart attack - what was Remedy designers thinking when they limited run distance to about 10 meters? Dodging is barely works and sometime when you just want to run, Alan suddenly starts from dodge. Also enemies just the same everywhere, "taken" humans with shield of darkness, about 4 of them - white trash, cops, oversized, and special character, they only reminds me zombie, and zombies cant scare anyone. Remedy should look at Silent Hill, Cold fear or Dead space, to get the idea of how to make scary creatures. Playing linear levels where all you can do is aim flashlight, shoot, barely run and dodge away from non scary humans, and where all the adventure element are "go forward, press button to open gatedoor or pick up manuscript" - not fun at all, just boring and repetitive. Also i don't even want to talk about Riding part of game, it even worse and buggier than it was in Alone in the dark 2008 (which is by the way much better and more imaginative game than Alan, and Alan kinda ripped off many things from it, including episodic format and darkness)
    The only thing that could keep anyone playing is the story, however its very cut and some time parts just don't tied well together, because of Remedy cut too much, you always feel that something else should be between this and that and it was cut without attempt to smooth this out. And this story is impressive for non educated people who never saw Twin Peaks, and other Lynch movies and never reed King books. For me - a King and Lynch fan this story looks as predictable rip-off from Lynch movies and King books, its about 50% Twin Peaks, 30% King, 10% of other rip-off and about 10% of something original. But its well-written rip-off so i still consider story as good story, but nothing super-awesome.
    No let me talk about PC port specifics: for a game that was once PC exclusive 1st DX10 game, return to PC in form like this is insult to all the PC users who waited this game so long! GFX is worse than in time it was announced 5 years ago, dx9 only, textures blurry low res, render distance of high detail LOD is low and transition is noticeable, shadows pixelated just like GTA 4, cut-scenes pre-rendered at 720p 30fps, with a lot of compression artifacts, washed out colors that dont match gameplay gamma, and this really breaking immersion... so in addition to dated 5 years old gfx, laziness of Remedy to bring at least high res textures and real-time cut-scenes to PC, this game is slow as hell! Performance optimization not even here! With gfx like this this game should run at 60fps on 5 years old pc, but it barely runs at about 25 fps on 1 year old PC. And the funny thing - Remedy not even ported this game to PC, they hired Nitro games - 5 (yep u can see it in credits) noob monkey-programmers + 3 testers. this shameful team ported Alan to PC, and Remedy didn't even cared to provide em high res textures and real-time cut-scenes, and no one bothered to enhance gameplay after all the criticism of x360 version. Its just exact copy with few minor extra settings. Which is real shame, especially comparing to what this game once was on PC several years ago.
    This is real insult to all the PC gamers and yet another wasted opportunity to return this game to its original glory that was lost during transition to xbox 360. I hope after Remedy recieved a lot of money from PC crowd and covered development cost in 48 hours, they could invest extra more to bring PC gamers an excuse for all the troubles as 6 simple things 1) Good patch with real optimization of CODE (not the cut of already poor gfx) +dx1011 2) High res texture pack 3) Real-time cut-scenes 4) Render distance sliders that actually affects render distance 5) Tweaks to gameplay, Quick saves, or at least checkpoints after every pickup, and re-usable Save heaven checkpoins + melee combat, at least ability to knock out enemy with flashlight or gun, improvements to run and dodge 6) Modding SDK. After this i would not feel myself insulted and cheated.
  10. Mar 9, 2012
    Shine a torch, shoot, run out of ammo, sprint, die, repeat ad nauseum. A complete lack of variety where narrative storytelling takes precedence over gameplay - if I wanted a movie, I would rent a DVD ! Silent Hill style puzzles you can forget ! There's just what I said in the opening line.
    That's a pity because the engine has rendered a beautiful re-creation of a picture postcard Washington State small town - in day time at least, but alas it is an empty experience and a complete waste as you cannot explore due to all areas but the one you need to take being blocked off.
  11. Feb 16, 2012
    poor pc performance even on top end rigs
    no crosshair, must aim with flash light
    off-center camera angle is awful there is a delay to initiate shooting and no focused/zoom mode specifically for shooting probably works better on xbox (because it has auto aim, and probably runs smoother.) no reason for a nearly 2 old xbox game to not run 60fps on top end rigs. the camera also sucks, if
    poor pc performance even on top end rigs
    no crosshair, must aim with flash light
    off-center camera angle is awful

the camera also sucks, if you try to have a centered camera view - you run crooked; you have to have a crooked camera view to run straight.

probably will automatically get good reviews from fan boys and people that were paid to review the game. maybe it was good on xbox, but playing it on pc is like paying $30 to willingly handicap yourself.
  12. May 13, 2012
    Awful on so many levels PERFORMANCE wise!!! Game itself is fantastic (finished it on Xbox when first released). Bought it for PC for the upgrade in graphics and FPS. Sadly, this is far from the truth. My rig is just 6 months old with (at the time) some of the best hardware available. It POWERS through every game I play at rock solid 60 fps on max settings. Now the problem ... Alan WakeAwful on so many levels PERFORMANCE wise!!! Game itself is fantastic (finished it on Xbox when first released). Bought it for PC for the upgrade in graphics and FPS. Sadly, this is far from the truth. My rig is just 6 months old with (at the time) some of the best hardware available. It POWERS through every game I play at rock solid 60 fps on max settings. Now the problem ... Alan Wake even at medium sends my CPU/GPU into overdrive with choppy fps???. Why??? I have read the forums, made adjustments yadda yadda yadda with no improvement. Some people haven't had these issues with AW and good luck to them. Myself and 'mydixienormus' (see his comments) do, so it's not an isolated problem my end. Such a shame cos like others I was really looking forward to this title. Maybe with future patches it will be addressed as I'm sure I'm not alone here. I'm giving it a 5 out of 10 because as a game it's amazing, but with it's current performance I feel cheated and may as well have stuck with my Xbox edition. ----------------------------------------------------> UPDATE 13/05/2012 ... Since the recent patches I went back to AW and admit it runs much, much better now. I still haven't completed it but wanted to change my score to justify its current state. It's a good game full of drama. Not really a 'horror' game, but a heart stopper all the same. Score upped from a 5 to an 8. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    The story is told in a unique and generally brilliant way, but the gameplay becomes incredibly monotonous by the fifth level. Could have been excellent.
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    Superb storytelling, memorable characters, and a dark but yet gorgeous atmosphere that will stick with you long after you are finished Alan Wake. I need to address one thing first...

This is not a scary game...it's not meant to be. It's a psychological action thriller (check the box art if you don't believe me...) Unfortunately people have rated this game based on "scare factor" and that's not fair. Although this game has the makings of "horror" game, it's not. That's like trying to call the movie "Se7en" a horror movie. It has the atmosphere and aesthetics of one but its a psychological thriller all the way through.

Alan Wake puts you on the edge of your seat and keeps you coming back for more. The game plays out like a thriller/mystery TV show with "Chapters" and "Previously On..." segments. You play as a best selling author who is having difficulties writing his next book. He decides to take a vacation with his girlfriend up to a town called Bright Falls. Located in the pacific northwest, Bright Falls shares many similarities with the fictional town of Twin Peaks (the TV show from the 90's). It's a small, cozy, honest working mans town where everybody know everybody. When your just about settled into the cabin, your girlfriend goes missing. You must then try and track her down while avoiding the darkness that plagues the town and the evil that lurks within.

The game has several key features. The atmosphere by far steals the show. You can tell a lot of attention to detail went into crafting this beautiful northwestern landscape. The lighting and particle effects are excellent as well. The sound design is well done and the narration from the main character adds to the tension and mystery.

I do have a few gripes though... One being the character models and stiff animations. The character models look a little dated. I guess from a distance they don't look to bad but once you see them up close you can really notice the lack of detail. The characters seem to move around in the most simplistic ways possible. Also, the lip syncing is some of the worst I have seen in years. It's like watching a poorly dubbed kung fu movie. The driving mechanics, although short, are poorly done. You never feel like you have full control over the vehicle. Too far to the left or right and you swerve out of control and into a ditch.

My last complaint would be the lack of replay-ability. Once you complete the game...that's it. Your not awarded any bonus missions or free roam. Sure you can go back and collect some coffee thermoses (no seriously there's like 100 to collect) but what is that going to get you? Seeing as how the game was first designed as an open world game (and still feels much like one at times) they could have left that in tact and let you roam around freely after you beat the game.

All that set aside, the games pacing, characters and location are more than enough to draw you in. Like a good book, you wont want to put this one down once you've started.
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    5 seems a bit rough score for a game that got so many positive reviews already. In all honesty, I don't know how the game managed to get so far with such a mediocre gameplay. I guess the trick is in graphics which are still beautiful and create a fantastic atmosphere suitable for the Stephen King-esque storyline. The story is definitely a homage to King with the writer in distress, weird5 seems a bit rough score for a game that got so many positive reviews already. In all honesty, I don't know how the game managed to get so far with such a mediocre gameplay. I guess the trick is in graphics which are still beautiful and create a fantastic atmosphere suitable for the Stephen King-esque storyline. The story is definitely a homage to King with the writer in distress, weird murderers and dreamlike locations near a very american mountain village. It's like cliche in a cliche. You're armed with a flashlight and a gun and must first use the light to sort of "break down shields" from enemies to be able to shoot them with your weapon. That's all there is to fighting mechanics. Use flashlight, shoot with a pistol. Run to the next area. Bad guys appear from the shadows. Use flashlight, shoot with a pistol. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. There are also collectibles for those people that bought this game with their last moneys and just HAVE to get everything out of it. The beginning of the game felt a bit like Resident Evil 4 which is a great game. You should play that instead. Expand
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    Started off good but nearing the ending I figured out that this games just a very pretentious game. The story you think maybe really interesting but as you get to the end you realise that the writer is just popping out of his ass to make the game even more MYSTERIOUS WOOO. Very pretentious and totally overrated.
  17. Aug 19, 2013
    The story in Alan Wake is quite exceptional comparing to other video games in the genre. Too bad the rest of the game can't match up to the well-written storytelling.

The game kicks off interestingly where we meet our protagonist, who is struggling with writing crisis and a "little bit" of insanity. Soon we find ourselves fighting with shadowy creatures named 'The Taken' controlled by a mysterious force.

The fighting mechanics based on the power of light are unique. While this newish fighting scheme is fun at first it lacks deepness, so it becomes repetitive. Unfortunately nothing good can be said about the controls, which is one of the most discouraging features of the game: awkward movements, slow reaction times, super sensitive mouse controls

One of the high points of the game is the voice acting. It phenomenally supports the great story, which pushes the player for resolution...that may or may not exists in the end. The end of the story will leave many with questions and bad taste, but the open nature of the conclusion is not necessarily a bad thing at all. However, the special chapters (The Signal and The Writer) will help put a proper end to this tale.

After 6 chapters it is hard to think of any reasons why anyone, who is not a fan of Alan would start this game all over again. The replay value of the game is very low thanks to its linear nature. Other than some collectibles there's no point to return. Alan Wake is one of those games that would've been enjoyable on a big screen rather than with a controller in a hand.

Rating: 65/100; Replay Value: 1/5; To Beat: 14-16 hours (incl. the specials); Played on: normal.
  18. Sep 22, 2012
    Good atmosphere, good story, many people say the story is 'unoriginal', can they name me 5 or more games with better story lines...? Well done Remedy Entertainment keep up the good work.
  19. Jan 13, 2013
    Alan Wake, the Stephen King made-for-TV series that never was, or; Dead Space in the woods... kind of. I really enjoyed this game, it certainly kept me hooked for the 9 hours it took to complete (DLC and expansion notwithstanding). The game is set out and presented as if it was a TV series, with many nods to well-known horror tropes. The majority of gameplay sees the player fighting offAlan Wake, the Stephen King made-for-TV series that never was, or; Dead Space in the woods... kind of. I really enjoyed this game, it certainly kept me hooked for the 9 hours it took to complete (DLC and expansion notwithstanding). The game is set out and presented as if it was a TV series, with many nods to well-known horror tropes. The majority of gameplay sees the player fighting off the Taken (shadow men) with a torch ...er, flashlight ... and pistol, collecting manuscript pages (which foreshadow later events), Thermos flasks (why?). and solving rudimentary puzzles. Overall this stuff is fairly casual and easy, which is fine, because in my head all it was there to do was to advance the plot. Good stuff all around then, but the ending left me kind of unsatisfied but with lots of room for a sequel (addressed in the episodic DLCs). Before I forget, extra points for this PC port, which frankly, I think we were lucky to have. Oh, and good writing! Expand
  20. Oct 31, 2013
    7.5 Actually.
    7.5 Actually.
    I enjoy this game for the story and the graphics. Gameplay is pretty lame, and as others said the off-center-semi-shoulder camera angle can become really noxious, tedious, and frustrating. Besides, it is never constant, and keeps shifting depending on what needs to be shown in the specific place in the game. Trying to complete a jump puzzle with such camera view becomes ridiculous.
    The game-play itself is this: you point your flashlight and shoot. That's it. Some path-finding bugs (which a not many, but present) take away from enjoyment.
    Nonetheless, as i said before, i enjoy this game for the story and graphics (even though buggy in-game auto-tune up optimizer told me my system req's are below minimum requirement, i am running smooth on all maxed up without a hick-up), and it is a good experience which is a blend of cinematic feeling and a quest with shooting elements. Good game.
  21. Oct 6, 2012
    Great story, the climate that can pull like a book. For the graphics made ​​it interesting? Gels in terms of forest or the city itself, and of the most important, interesting idea for a survival-horror. The game can not draw a single player, but not scare him more. It is a game with the climate, but the climate is not great horror. After a long time, it gets monotonous andGreat story, the climate that can pull like a book. For the graphics made ​​it interesting? Gels in terms of forest or the city itself, and of the most important, interesting idea for a survival-horror. The game can not draw a single player, but not scare him more. It is a game with the climate, but the climate is not great horror. After a long time, it gets monotonous and boring, which does not change the fact that many players may like it, because it is really very good. My Rating - 8/10 Expand
  22. Jun 17, 2012
    Good port, and worth the wait.
    The story was not spectacular, but it was still one of the best i've seen in videogames in a long time.
    Combat is original, and, while it may feel repetitive after a while, I felt it was handled the right way considering the nature of the game. Graphics are very nice, the main character is likable (something very difficult to achieve for most games
    Good port, and worth the wait.
    Graphics are very nice, the main character is likable (something very difficult to achieve for most games nowadays) and it was a good, solid experience overall. I like to see games that try and actually make an effort into creating something different instead of settling with making a generic game that would guarantee them a good sales number.
  23. Sep 1, 2012
    I get motion sickness from a lot of FPS games, sadly, but eventually I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. Initially I wasn't fond of the camera view with Alan off to the right due to motion sickness. I played for about 5 minutes and had to stop. Now I can complete a whole "episode" and not get sick. The graphics are great and the whole flash light to weaken the darkness I reallyI get motion sickness from a lot of FPS games, sadly, but eventually I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. Initially I wasn't fond of the camera view with Alan off to the right due to motion sickness. I played for about 5 minutes and had to stop. Now I can complete a whole "episode" and not get sick. The graphics are great and the whole flash light to weaken the darkness I really like. I enjoy the fact that it is like watching a mini-tv series and yet you get to play it at the same time. I haven't played a game that is like that, so it is a nice change of pace. Expand
  24. Oct 7, 2012
    Me encanta; la presentación, la música, la historia,etc. Es básicamente protagonizar un cuento de Stephen King. Al avanzar mucho en el juego me di cuenta que me interesaba más en la historia que en la acción propiamente tal, lo único que deseaba era terminar rápido y continuar sabiendo que pasaba con la historia.
    La historia genial!
    La
    La historia genial!
    La jugabilidad se pude volver un tanto tediosa.
    La lucha en la granja de los anderson simplemente notable y épica.
    La música genial.
  25. May 1, 2014
    If you like your Stephen King, you will like the story. Graphics and sound design are superb. However, the game fails in terms of gameplay. Shine a light and shoot. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. There is almost no enemy variety and no real sense of progression. After the first few Chapters, the only thing that kept me going was the story.
  26. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is awesome, it is story driven and linear which I really like, this is my first single player game that I bought with my own money, so it will always have sentimental value. The graphics are good, and I really like the unique stories, and the fact that you can dig deeper with the manuscripts. It has replay value for the collectibles, and I highly recommend it.
  27. Jun 1, 2013
    Story and technical side of game are ok. But gameplay is very boring. Spending all the time running in predicted way and fighting all the time with same weapons and pointing flashlights is not my kind of fun. Most of older horror games are much more entertaining.
  28. Feb 9, 2014
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent. The characters are compelling. The graphics/environment is very nice. The story keeps you in doubt all the time. I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes. The bad: The talking animations are really bad...Fortunately they seem to get better as you progress. The
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent.
    The characters are compelling.
    The graphics/environment is very nice.
    The story keeps you in doubt all the time.
    I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes.

The game forces you to go out of your way to collect "the story", its annoying and boring. It shouldnt be so time consuming.
    Gameplay is just ok.
    The story never ultimately explains itself and some people seem to like this, but not me. I hate it, this really is the downfall of the game.

Well worth the
  29. Jan 12, 2014
    To be honest, the game is so-so. The storytelling is good, despite of everything other. The gameplay is quite poor. It's poorly copy-past the famous resident evil series, and contains no puzzles, no interesting enemies. So we are getting half novel story-telling, half shooting game very similar to Max Payne, and to be honest it doesn't justify my expectation. I pretty sure that you willTo be honest, the game is so-so. The storytelling is good, despite of everything other. The gameplay is quite poor. It's poorly copy-past the famous resident evil series, and contains no puzzles, no interesting enemies. So we are getting half novel story-telling, half shooting game very similar to Max Payne, and to be honest it doesn't justify my expectation. I pretty sure that you will get more fun by playing in resident evil or silent hill. Expand
  30. Nov 8, 2013
    A great game not only from the narrative perspective but also from technical one...Just a perfect combination of a thriller with an amazing storyline and an exciting gameplay.One of the best single player games I've ever played.
  31. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    I like this game.
    I like the story telling, I like the genuine american horror story feeling.
    I would wish it was less linear.
    Definitely a good game though.
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    Fortunately Remedy have not flopped when they released Max Payne 2. For them the flop (if one can call it a flop at all) was second series of games, Alan Wake. Let's just call it a decline. For me I expected higher level of character insight and relation to the protagonist I've enjoyed with Max Payne 1 & 2. Alan Wake did not intrigue me with the story line and the main protagonist did notFortunately Remedy have not flopped when they released Max Payne 2. For them the flop (if one can call it a flop at all) was second series of games, Alan Wake. Let's just call it a decline. For me I expected higher level of character insight and relation to the protagonist I've enjoyed with Max Payne 1 & 2. Alan Wake did not intrigue me with the story line and the main protagonist did not capture my attention. I understand Remedy spent more time on the gameplay mechanics/atmosphere and an attempt at TV series episodic release schedule (something nobody has still pulled off in video game industry). In my opinion they should have focused on storyline a little more. One of the good things I've discovered during this game is original The Twilight Zone series which inspired the ingame TV series Night Springs. Atmosphere in this game is omnipresent and deep, you will find yourself in an "ecosystem" of interleaved and interrelated themes that creates an ingame world that Remedy have mastered over the years.

Lastly I'd like to thank Remedy for securing a PC release of this game. Would it not be for Xbox we would have seen a PC port much earlier. PC realm is where Remedy originally come from so I am glad to see they have delivered for their dedicated fan base.
  33. Feb 15, 2015
    From an experienced gamer...

From an experienced gamer...

This game wasn't worth the small 7 hours that I spent on it. In summary, the story shows great promise but is ultimately a let-down at the end, the combat is pretty horrible, and the graphics just aren't quite there. Please do yourself a favor, if you're not really into the suspense-thriller genre, and really like your combat to be interesting, please give this game a pass. You really aren't missing anything. This is at its core, a short, 100% linear game, with a low amount of content. The developers of this game used long S-shaped paths with lots of waves of enemies to bring up the play time, and the combat just isn't enjoyable.

Spoilers past this point.

Firstly if you don't have a lot of patience, I would recommend enabling cheat codes by setting "-developermenu" in launch options in steam. This will allow you to refill your ammo when you run out.

UI: The highly offset camera angle is a constant nuisance. You will literally zig-zag through this entire game with W-A and W-D combinations the entire time. Walking in a straight line is extremely difficult. The slow-motion enemy deaths are way overused, and there's an irritating, lengthy camera sweep every time an enemy approaches from behind during which you can't do anything but watch it run/fly towards you and get the first hit. The funniest thing is that they combined the "sprint" key with the "dodge" key, so literally every single time you want to start sprinting, you will first perform a "front dodge" maneuver, so it will look like Alan is going to fall over and then all of a sudden he's running at full blast. Lazy and comical. Vehicle physics are barely usable. All of the cars basically have bald tires and 500 horsepower because they're so tail-happy it's ridiculous.

Combat: It is actually possible to run out of ammo and get stuck at certain points in the game. Your only way of dispatching enemies is with guns, and there's no option to run past them in 90% of zones. The combat in this game is boring, there is no avoiding it. Right-click on an enemy with your flashlight to drop their shields, then use a small handful of weapons (you literally only get like 3 guns the whole game) to take down their health. Rinse, wash, repeat. Don't get me wrong, the combat is OK in small doses. The problem is that you'll find yourself fighting past wave after wave after wave just to get to the next Dan Brown-style mini cliffhanger at the end of each episode.

Story: Alan Wake does not end with a resolution to the storyline, which is a shame, because the story in this game was well thought out and is quite good at its core. Instead of trying to figure out an ending that ties everything together and makes everyone happy, it half-resolves a couple things and asks a few more questions. This is SO LAZY, and a HUGE pet peeve of mine. You spend the whole game fighting all this garbage just so the dude can get his wife back, and then, it doesn't happen. Many of the elements in this game are borrowed.

Graphics: Textures and effects range from incredibly detailed to cheesy and overused. The characters' faces are absolutely terrible for a 2011 game. Misshapen, not following the dialogue at all. None of the characters ever change clothes for the entire game. There's no visual or soft barrier for the environments, so once in a while, you'll jump down a small cliff and just die. Finally, there's this annoying blur effect that is used so often that it actually prevents you from properly seeing the graphics they did actually do right, things like smoke and lighting.

Conclusion: 5/10 Good effort, but would not recommend.
  34. Jan 1, 2014
    I will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready forI will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready for the game to just be over already. The game is an extremely awesome concept, but it could have been executed much, much better Expand
  35. Jul 17, 2014
    A very linear game with predictable gameplay. It might as well be a movie since the story and atmosphere are the only things worth noting amongst the many scripted events. As far as gameplay goes, you know something big is about to happen whenever you get a new piece of equipment or find a resupply cache.
  36. May 6, 2014
    Gameplay is extremely repetitious and not a lot of fun in itself. The enemy's can provide a few scares early on in the game, but you soon find yourself attacked by the hundredth fishman/lumberjack zombie and the effect is lost. There are only a handful of different enemies and very few unique environments the player can interact with, which reduces the gameplay into a pretty tedious grind.Gameplay is extremely repetitious and not a lot of fun in itself. The enemy's can provide a few scares early on in the game, but you soon find yourself attacked by the hundredth fishman/lumberjack zombie and the effect is lost. There are only a handful of different enemies and very few unique environments the player can interact with, which reduces the gameplay into a pretty tedious grind.
    A unique part of the gameplay is shining a torch (flashlight) on enemy prior to being able to damage them. However, you are rarely attacked by large numbers and are almost always provided with enough ammo and flares to easily keep out of trouble. Both player and enemies move slowly, and most combat takes place in an open environment, so backing away from enemies is an effective but boring tactic.

The story is reasonably interesting, but it evolves slowly and is so "cheesy" it is hard to take seriously. All the characters in the game are extremely unlikable, and seem like they were designed by a child. This reduces motivation to progress through the game, as the only real reward for the gameplay is plot progression.

Graphics and sound are generally impressive, but viewpoint is frustrating and not really suited for mouse control. The character controls are quite clumsy, and the dodging mechanic isn't really very useful (avoiding enemies is far more effective).
  37. Apr 30, 2012
    Awesome game. I haven't played a quality game like this in a LONG time.
    Story, graphics, music, game-play, everything is perfectly fused together to make this masterpiece.
  38. Dec 22, 2012
    Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before.Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before. Does that mean it's my favourite game? No. But even still it is a wonderful experience nonetheless. Even the fairly standard horror pacing and formula can't detract from this game, and so intricately tied to and interwoven with its plot the game really manages to tell a story while you battle shadow monsters with a Christmas light wearing sidekick (I am NOT making this up). While I am not a fan of the horror genre, and have never really read any Stephen King (to whom the tilts it's hat many times), the game was nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable. The only down-side to this interactive novel is that like a novel it is not immediately replayable. When you get to the last chapter, you don't feel any pressing need to start over again from the beginning, because what you have really enjoyed is not the thrill of the chase, being hunted by an insidious Lovecraftian shadow-demon, but the content of that story. But I think that is one negative we can all bear if games of this ilk were to become more common in the future. And really that actually makes the gameplay longer lasting easier to savour. Please Remedy, and ALL developers, give us more interactive novels, and less psychotically emotionless space marines killing freaking zombie demons from outer space. Expand
  39. Apr 28, 2012
    Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.

Combat in Alan Wake was nice and refreshing. It was a nice touch that you simply can't shoot your enemies, but have to decide how to take on a pack. While the selections of weapons in the game was modest, you could use them to great effect. I fell in love with the way dodging works in this game, and it made defensive evasion - something that people often overlook in favor of brute force - a pleasant skill to practice.

This game was long, and it was good. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a long time.
  40. Feb 17, 2012
    Alan wake on the pc is well made port.There are some performance quirks however and hopefully get they patched out. The game controls well, instead of it playing like a traditional crosshair based third person game, you aim with the flashlight. The movement of the flashlight is not as 1:1 instant as a first person shooter, however it controls surprisingly smoothly considering. The story isAlan wake on the pc is well made port.There are some performance quirks however and hopefully get they patched out. The game controls well, instead of it playing like a traditional crosshair based third person game, you aim with the flashlight. The movement of the flashlight is not as 1:1 instant as a first person shooter, however it controls surprisingly smoothly considering. The story is fantastic, with each segment of the game like an episode of lost, with a "on the last episode of alan wake". Each chapter/episode also ends on a really quirky and mysterious musical number. This game definitely has artistic lynchian undertones without being obscure or vague. The game is also visually stunning, the only downside is the occasional low resolution texture. Mechanically the game has the traditional horror elements, however it throws in enough twists to make it feel fresh again. Light plays a huge role in the dynamic of the entire game, with each source of light being a checkpoint of sorts and every enemy being immortal until you shine them with your torch.All of this leads to the game being quite hard, as you can be taken down in 1 or two hits, so you need to make serious use of the dodging mechanic and stay constantly aware of where each enemy is - if they get behind the player, you might be swamped and die within seconds. The combination of the light mechanics, the involving thriller/mystery plot, the episodic touches, and some serious tension make alan wake unmissable. Just make sure you have a powerful pc. Expand
  41. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is greatly overrated. What's wrong?

Well, it starts off strong enough you get into the action quickly (none of this "oh I don't get to really play for an hour" nonsense) and you get into the mystery of the piece pretty quickly. What's not to like? Well, the problem is that Alan Wake suffers from two problems: 1) The action is terrible. 2) The story isn't great.
    This game is greatly overrated. What's wrong?

Well, the problem is that Alan Wake suffers from two problems:

1) The action is terrible.

2) The story isn't great.

The first is obvious; in the intro, you learn how you burn the shadows off of enemies, then you shoot them to death. Okay, cool, so they expand on it right? No. The ENTIRE GAME'S GAMEPLAY is exactly the same thing burn the shadows off of enemies, then shoot them. There isn't even much variety in the way of enemies there are normal enemies, that cut you; fast enemies, which are harder to hit; and large enemies, who deal more damage and take more damage to cut down. There are moving objects that lift themselves up and hurl themselves at you as well, which sounds a lot better than it actually is the physics of it is awkward and the AI sucks, meaning they often "get stuck" on stuff.

Thus the ENTIRE game's action consists of doing the same thing over and over and over again, to enemy after enemy after enemy, with little variation. Somewhere around episode 2 (of 6) it wears thin, and there's a lot more to go.

The collectibles, likewise, leave something to be desired. Half of them are stupid, and the other half of them, while okay, suffer from the problem that searching for them messes up the gameplay and pacing; rather than trying to get out of the woods, instead you spend hours wandering around in the woods trying to find pages and thermoses and other nonsense. It sucks; the game plays a lot better when you aren't running around trying to find stuff because (let's face it) the gameplay wears thin anyway, it is even thinner stretched out like that. It doesn't help that Alan Wake can't run for very long, and has to slow down if you have him run for more than thirty feet or so that dude is seriously out of shape.

Okay, so the gameplay rather sucks (even if the basic premise sounds interesting). What about the story?

Well... again, the story kind of sucks too. The problem is that you start off the game with a mystery, and all's well, right? Well...

It becomes glaringly clear what the answer to the mystery is early on, and without that mystery, there's just... nothing really substantive. Sure, the characters run around, and Barry and Sarah are okay characters, but Alan Wake himself is a bit bland and really it all feels a bit pointless. The story isn't terrible, but it isn't amazing either, which means that it doesn't make up for the mediocre gameplay. There is a brief upswing in the story in episodes 4 and 5, where it feels more fun, but the end of the game is as bland as chapters 2 and 3 were, and feels very empty due to the loss of any other characters interacting with you.

Overall I can't recommend this game, but I don't discourage you from buying it either; however, it is average, neither great nor terrible.
  42. Jan 10, 2014
    Not a great game, and another example of the metacritic score not representing reality. The game has nice graphics, but terrible token enemies. It's like they thought they'd better add the shadow monsters to give it an arcade feel. They're annoying and ruin the game, they are fun for about 2 minutes, then it gets tedious and repetitive. I'm not alone in this opinion, just read a fewNot a great game, and another example of the metacritic score not representing reality. The game has nice graphics, but terrible token enemies. It's like they thought they'd better add the shadow monsters to give it an arcade feel. They're annoying and ruin the game, they are fun for about 2 minutes, then it gets tedious and repetitive. I'm not alone in this opinion, just read a few reviews.

Very atmospheric, I would have liked to go through the game without any combat.

Wait for it to be on sale if you need to see it. The graphics and mood are interesting, perhaps a bit self-indulgent and pretentious... also confusing because it's a dream within a nightmare or something like that.

I would have preferred a first person view, the third person perspective has its limits.
  43. Oct 6, 2013
    When big budget games screw up they screw up well. This game attempts to take Stephen King tropes and turn them into a computer game, it looks great, is well voiced but massively over-cutscened. Also the only real scares come from being overwhelmed by sheer numbers of enemies. I didn't complete this simply because I stopped caring. Sad really..

It feels like a sci-fi channel movie.

It feels like a sci-fi channel movie.

Basically if you want a really scary game get Amnesia: The Dark Descent.... That's what you need,
  44. Jul 13, 2012
    Very engaging game and an interesting combat concept. Overall story is so-so in my opinion and somewhat generic if you have read better source material, but its the 1st single player game I have played all the way to the end since Dead Space, so that says something.
  45. Dec 8, 2012
    Well, after playing quite a while, this is disappointing: the action is extremely repetitive. You just run around in the woods killing enemies. This only thing saving this game is the story with a lot of potential. But it ends very abruptly with a lot of questions asked, and a hope that they will be answered in a next opus. So overall, feels it should be more a movie than a game as theWell, after playing quite a while, this is disappointing: the action is extremely repetitive. You just run around in the woods killing enemies. This only thing saving this game is the story with a lot of potential. But it ends very abruptly with a lot of questions asked, and a hope that they will be answered in a next opus. So overall, feels it should be more a movie than a game as the game part itself is boring. Expand
  46. sft
    Jul 29, 2013
    The light fantastic (almost)

The light fantastic (almost)

Credit is due Remedy for making ALAN WAKE a story-driven game. It’s a partial success, though not a complete one. They have entirely eschewed the typical RPG tropes of dialogue trees and progression choices in favour of a linear, non-interactive structure. The story is played out in a series of cut-scenes and simple A to B tasks. Basically you just have to battle your way from one place to the next. There’s certainly a place for this type of game, and when it’s done well la Half-Life 2) it can be very rewarding. Unlike Half-Life 2, however, ALAN WAKE doesn’t quite pull it off. Firstly, there isn’t enough humour. There’s some but it would have benefited from more. And the story isn’t exactly original. But the main problem for me was the combat. I hated the way control is wrenched away from the player every time enemies approach. I get why they did it (there’s no other way of knowing they’re coming, apart from some audible warnings) but I often found myself disoriented when the camera had finished sweeping around and control had retuned. Several times the sweep lasted so long that by the time I had control again the enemies were right on me and it was impossible to avoid taking a hit. Frustrating to say the least. On the plus side the environments look very good and it’s quite atmospheric (although not as creepy as I would have liked Silent Hill still sets the bar for that). One other thing worth noting is that I found the special episode, The Writer, to be better than what had gone before. It’s even more atmospheric and far more inventive. Overall this is a good game if not an outstanding one.
  47. May 16, 2014
    This game is buggered to hell. The voice acting is awful, it is way too hard, the learning curve is steep, the gunplay is HORRENDOUS. And bad hit detection.
  48. Oct 23, 2012
    A game that could have been so much more. What could have been an open world master-piece became a cut down, linear, repetitive and tired novel in the shape of a game. The plot thickens in places but never leaves predictable, and both the writing and voice acting is cringeworthy in places, sounding like an amateur attempt at 'serious' crime/horror writing. Even one of the charactersA game that could have been so much more. What could have been an open world master-piece became a cut down, linear, repetitive and tired novel in the shape of a game. The plot thickens in places but never leaves predictable, and both the writing and voice acting is cringeworthy in places, sounding like an amateur attempt at 'serious' crime/horror writing. Even one of the characters criticises it as 'heavy on the metaphors' which it absolutely is - exhaustingly so. By the time you reach the end of the third chapter, you're willing the game to be over in the fourth, but still have several more to grind through, with the last couple feeling drawn out needlessly so. The 'climax' of the game, simply feels like the writers ran out of ideas, so threw in all kinds of surreal environments and events, none of which last more than a minute or so. The enemies through-out have no variation and you're still fighting the same enemies at the end as you were at the very start of the game. The visuals in places look fantastic (mainly during daylight which you rarely get to see), whilst in others (and for the majority of the game) they're pretty dire. The weaving plot does hold your interest at times and you do find yourself getting a little pulled in to certain twists, but they're over before you know it and you're back to predictable. Combat would feel satisfying if it didn't become tedious first. I bought it on steam for less than a fiver and it feels like I paid its worth. Expand
  49. Apr 13, 2012
    Great game and very good story and different gameplay mechanics, visually impressive on the highest settings... Remedy has still got it! But I must say, they will need to improve the formula if they want to make a sequel... At the end, I just wanted to know the end of the story, the gameplay became a bit predictable, but it was only at the end of this masterpiece that I had this feeling...
  50. May 31, 2012
    Alan Wake is one of the best games I have ever played. The storytelling is epic, The atmosphere takes one to the depths of Cauldron lake and the graphics are great. I hear people complaining about the fps being around 60, but that should be more than enough for anyone. Game is a bit too straight forward but the all the pros make up for those little cons. I wish that this game came toAlan Wake is one of the best games I have ever played. The storytelling is epic, The atmosphere takes one to the depths of Cauldron lake and the graphics are great. I hear people complaining about the fps being around 60, but that should be more than enough for anyone. Game is a bit too straight forward but the all the pros make up for those little cons. I wish that this game came to stores for PC earlier and there wouldn't have been X360 version. Crosshair being just the flashlight is one of the nicest details of the game. This game is not a FPS so there is no need for focused/zoom mode for shooting and I don't know what people are thinking about when they are wishing something like that for this masterpiece. If you want to play some FPS game with much shooting go buy your piece of Battlefield or COD this game is thriller a bit like Resident Evil Expand
  51. Feb 13, 2013
    Even Stephen King would not be ashamed with that quality of plot. Characters like from Twin Peaks deep and not obvious, perfect atmosphere and surroundings. My vote 10!
  52. Feb 22, 2012
    Pretty decent game overall and quite a bit more challenging that I had originally expected. The third person movement and almost auto-aim still seems to simplify things a little but at the same time they're not shy to swarm you with bad guys so I guess without going FPS style they've done a pretty good job.
    Auto health regeneration but with a nice added twist over the usual
    Auto health regeneration but with a nice added twist over the usual "just take cover and you'll be fine" bit was welcomed! Otherwise there's a lot of exploring that prevents it from becoming "slit your wrist" linear it does it's job nicely while looking pretty sweet too. As a survival horror it's okay to good (sorry I think Amnesia set a really high bar) while as a game it's fairly fun to play through (I actually wanted to finish it unlike so many other games that I just got super bored with).
    Performance wise it runs like a charm on my aging GTX295 at 1920 x 1200 (yeah baby!) so nothing to complain about there (shame on bigger devs for failing in this department with so many of their ports that look like crap compared to this).
    So what's not to like with this game? Well sadly (even though Remedy has done a bang up job at this PC version as so many other Devs seem to fail at when porting to PC) it still plays like a console game and I just can't help shake that 3rd person "must play with console controller" feel it has going for it (I'd love for them to do an FPS style survival horror game made specifically for PC but I fear their console monetary rewards will prevent something like this...at least we got this one on PC finally too!).
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    Great game and pretty good port, runs great on my laptop with maxed settings @720. The game starts off a little slow but it really starts to pick up a few hours in. I thought Alan Wake was going to be a horror game but I was wrong, it's more of an action game and it's not very scary. The story is very good and the action and scripted sequences are excellent. I'm really glad this cameGreat game and pretty good port, runs great on my laptop with maxed settings @720. The game starts off a little slow but it really starts to pick up a few hours in. I thought Alan Wake was going to be a horror game but I was wrong, it's more of an action game and it's not very scary. The story is very good and the action and scripted sequences are excellent. I'm really glad this came to the PC and $30. Over 15 hours of intense play is well worth it and I'm sure I will play it again in the future. A must buy for any action fan! Expand
  54. Mar 8, 2012
    As a long time Max Payne fan, i had quite high expectations from Remedy. And they didn't disappoint me a bit. The story was great, and it kept me hooked till the very end. The action sequences were good, although there could've been more open areas, and more different places. I recommend this masterpiece to everyone who likes the action thriller genre, and in generally to everyone.
  55. May 3, 2012
    Without a doubt the games main strength is its storyline, throughout the whole experience it never failed to have me in suspense thinking of what might happen next, sure the combat is a bit samey, but aren't all horror games? The graphics and sound quality are superb, can't fault them in anyway, looks stunning on my machine, got it day one and I don't regret this at all
  56. Mar 5, 2012
    I love games like civilization V,and shogun, I hate thrillers, I hate Horror, This is my only exception. I gave it a 10 because of what it has, it has a good story, the background, and setting is amazing, on Steam, they have collector edition bundle for $35 dollars, I love it, I go to bed with a flashlight beside me (so to speak). I have entered a unending night, I love Alan wake, as soonI love games like civilization V,and shogun, I hate thrillers, I hate Horror, This is my only exception. I gave it a 10 because of what it has, it has a good story, the background, and setting is amazing, on Steam, they have collector edition bundle for $35 dollars, I love it, I go to bed with a flashlight beside me (so to speak). I have entered a unending night, I love Alan wake, as soon as american nightmare comes on PC, I almost want a Xbox so I can play American Nightmare sooner... I would say that this is the 2nd best game I played, and a major time sink, but then again, if i am sinking, might as go down with the ship! I will encourage (and yell at you) to buy this game, it is not horror, it is not a thriller, it is the best game I have played that is a shooter. I also love, how it pays respect to the whole horror genre, I don't like horror as I said but man! I may reconsider just to enjoy this game more! If i were you I would be at the checkout already. I would of paid double, or more for this game, I can say that with a Bible on my hand, under oath. Best game you can buy...If you like Uncharted, or third-person shooters this is a must! Also, I am planning on buying all the books, all of the guides, everything, just to help support this game, I may even buy the clock! I would be a lot more of a critic on this game if I had not played it, NOTE: I am buying a Razer Xbox controller so I can have the best PC experience I can! A couple people will whine about how "this thing is wrong, this tree has bad textures" i took a chance on this game, and I will NEVER regret it! Love this game, and I can't say that about a lot, or maybe a few... Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    Being a massive fan of supernatural drama, I was immediately drawn to Alan Wake and bought the Limited Collector's Edition at launch.

The game involves a writer trying to understand why a book he can't remember writing is coming to life. The action comes thick and fast, and the narration by the lead character makes you feel more attune to the world constructed by Remedy. As you go through the storyline, you meet a whole host of characters, ranging from mad to simply disagreeable, but all of them have a place to be and a purpose to serve. The story is well put together, with collectables strewn all over the town for those who want to look a little deeper.

If you want a game that hails from the greatest horror authors and makes the concepts work, buy Alan Wake. As a side note, it's one of the few games on 360 that has never received a patch. :)
  58. May 10, 2012
    They should have made a book, or a GAME. This seems like neither. I thought with the insanely high reviews this was a no brainer when it went on sale for 15 bucks. Dear horror game coders: Clunky controls that make you feel OUT OF CONTROL do get the adrenaline pumping, but that is not fear. after playing Rage and Skyrim (first person is ALWAYS better) the controls on Alan Wake feel like IThey should have made a book, or a GAME. This seems like neither. I thought with the insanely high reviews this was a no brainer when it went on sale for 15 bucks. Dear horror game coders: Clunky controls that make you feel OUT OF CONTROL do get the adrenaline pumping, but that is not fear. after playing Rage and Skyrim (first person is ALWAYS better) the controls on Alan Wake feel like I am gaming drunk off my butt. Again, crappy control of the character makes you feel out of control but that is just ANNOYING in an actual game. I just looked that the universal stats on Steam. 12% of people did not even finish the first acheivement. I did. Now I am in a town (that is not a big spoiler) I have no desire to watch a ton of cut scenes, I want to either play a game called alan wake or read a book called alan wake. Color me annoyed. I don't suck at horror games. Resident evil 1 was an all time fave. this is no RE 1. After dying like 10 times playing RE 1 I finally got to a safe area and I was so pumped for the game. I have the opposite reaction with this game. I like to explore in a gameworld, so it is annoying to start a game were you are running your a@@ off just to survive. Stop to see the graphics? nope, I can't I am too busy running. I quickly realized it was better to get hit by the bad guys while running than try and take a stand. I am sure there are upgrades and better weapons but I only give it a 50% shot that go any further. It actually made me want to go read a horror book instead of playing a "game". Off to amazon to find something to read. peace out. Expand
  59. Mar 11, 2012
    Linear, repetitive, predictable. Was looking forward to this. Waste of time. The story is fun and engaging, but action scenes are so boring, I had to give up.

Not sure why this scores so highly ... maybe it was a good game 18 months ago.
  60. Feb 26, 2012
    I have to agree with Naatan in every way. I was really looking forward to this cause I loved the old Silent Hill games and expected AW to be a little like those. The story is promising, atmosphere is excellent. What ruins this game is it's awfully dull game-play. Run through the woods, (due to bad camera position) try to aim and shoot some zombies or evade them (though Alan appears to beI have to agree with Naatan in every way. I was really looking forward to this cause I loved the old Silent Hill games and expected AW to be a little like those. The story is promising, atmosphere is excellent. What ruins this game is it's awfully dull game-play. Run through the woods, (due to bad camera position) try to aim and shoot some zombies or evade them (though Alan appears to be handicapped), get to a locations and maybe solve a switch-puzzle and watch another cut-scene of the indeed great story. Expand
  61. Feb 18, 2012
    Performance shouldn't have an impact on the game play score. The game itself is wonderfully ported. Wonderful story, as to be expected. Anything else........ Pretty much it's an all around quality game that is ominous and at times scary.
  62. Feb 22, 2012
    Well, it's one of the best Action-Thriller-Adventures of the X360 NOW and FINALLY on PC, but not a simple port, rather than a great improved version from a graphical perspective as well as additional content (both DLC episodes "The Signal" + "The Writer" included) and PC exclusive features (3D mode and multi screen support). Very well done, Remedy!
  63. Feb 21, 2012
    Amazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it andAmazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it and survive. It's TV mini-series style presentation is also very well done. You really do feel like you are playing a supernatural TV series. The overall effect is an addictive game that you enjoy playing, that keeps you guessing as to what's going on and what's going to happen next. If you like suspenseful horror or supernatural entertainment , then you are going to like Alan Wake. Yes, this game is a console port, however the PC version is far better looking than its console counterpart. Seeing them side by side really drives this point home. If you are going to port a game to PC from an inferior console, this is how you do it. Higher resolutions, higher fidelity, and DX10 features that no console can touch. Kudos to the developer for a proper port. The game played fantastic on my gaming system. AMD 1090T at 4.1GHz, XFX DD Radeon 7950 BE, 16GB DDR3 1600. Running a live broadcast via X-Fire through the entire game. No problems from the game at all. Very happy with my purchase and the gaming experience. So not only do I highly recommend Alan Wake, I suggest you play it at night, in the dark, with the volume turned up and in its full HD+ splendor. This way you can properly enjoy the dark side of Bright Falls. Expand
  64. Feb 27, 2012
    Okay, okay... The performance in this game is a bit problematic for some people (I'm running ok in an old HD4850 512mb. Indeed: It could be more optimized). But what I'm reading in most comments is "my top end rig doesn't run this game @60fps all the time". C'mon!! Did you guys tried to play and understand the history? And one more thing: This IS NOT a FPS and Alan Wake is not a soldier.Okay, okay... The performance in this game is a bit problematic for some people (I'm running ok in an old HD4850 512mb. Indeed: It could be more optimized). But what I'm reading in most comments is "my top end rig doesn't run this game @60fps all the time". C'mon!! Did you guys tried to play and understand the history? And one more thing: This IS NOT a FPS and Alan Wake is not a soldier. The gameplay is very good, the history and environment deserves a 10.
    Because the lacks of optimization in the engine I'd give an 9, but there are many people giving 0 because they were expecting an godlike Alan Wake with fps like controls or are just pissed because their new PC don't run 60 fps all the time (OMG, it goes down to 45fps... seriously?)... Because of them, I'm giving 10.
  65. Mar 4, 2012
    Among the best games for pc as a single player experience so far this year. Although it could be tweaked a little more, specially the run/evade key being the same, there's not much more you can ask for a game like this.
    a solid 9. Enjoy this jewel!
  66. Sep 5, 2012
    I am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutesI am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutes to get used to, unless you have some sort of handicap c) linear, no levelups - do I even need to say why this is not a problem in this genre?

It saddens me deeply to see a considerable number of people who completely missed the point of the game, then came here to complain about issues that simply don't exist.

Alan Wake is the best purchase I've made in a very long time, so much so that I'm actually playing it with my wife who finds both the gameplay and the cutscenes engaging enough to watch and she does not play videogames.
  67. Mar 9, 2012
    this game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game withthis game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game with pc players feed back and what they would like in the game i hope remedy carry on making more alan wake games for the pc Expand
  68. JvJ
    Apr 16, 2012
    This masterpiece is brillant. It's not just a game, it's more much than this. Just let it recount its story and you will not be disapointed. Give it a try, it worth it !
  69. Feb 24, 2012
    Amazing game!! The world needs more games like this!! Totally worth the money!! I am really glad this game was made for PC. I have to thanks Remedy out of my heart for such a awsome game.
  70. Mar 24, 2012
    Alan Wake surprised me and went way beyond my expectations. What really made the game stand out and kept me playing was the engaging story and fun characters. Not to belittle the gameplay, which is more than sufficient, but this is a game where you continue to play to find out what happens next. My only real complaints are that the camera sticks a little too close to your character andAlan Wake surprised me and went way beyond my expectations. What really made the game stand out and kept me playing was the engaging story and fun characters. Not to belittle the gameplay, which is more than sufficient, but this is a game where you continue to play to find out what happens next. My only real complaints are that the camera sticks a little too close to your character and difficulty is inconsistent at times. Expand
  71. Mar 3, 2014
    Although I initially enjoyed Allan Wake because it reminded me of Max Paxne just with slightly more two-dimensional characters and a more horror-oriented storyline I soon came to loath the game for its lack of interesting enemies and annoying interruptions.

Most developers get hiding secrets wrong. Collect 200 coffee thermos while you're trying to survive is a sure way to make everything else around you feel trivial.

I stopped playing when I ran out of ammo during a fight with an enemy and the only way for me to win was to reload the game and hope I'd preserve more shots next time. That would be fine if I was playing Call of Duty but we're not. I don't need to die to understand I failed, just let me resolve the situation in some other manner so I can continue enjoying the storyline.

The camera view is annoying as well. You can either put Al on your left or on your right but he's -always- in the way. There's also no way to aim your gun without aiming your flashlight and if you aim the fashlight, you'll burn through its energy reserves which you need to weaken enemies so they can be finished off with your firearm. You can't vanquish them with your flashlight alone, hence the reason you need to be consverative with ammo. Enemies do not drop ammo so unless you aim as well as the developers want you to, which is difficult without being able to see where you're aiming, you'll find yourself low on ammo all the time and reloading soon after because enemies tend to be faster than you are, dodging attacks takes forever and they also tend to throw things at you with surprising accuracy.

The game environment is great and there is a rich variety of characters you run into. The voice acting is acceptable, it could be a little less exaggerated at times so it wouldn't feel as disconnected. Unfortunately, most characters seem rather oblivious to what is going on around them which is down to poor script writing but what can you expect from a video game?

The game is far too cut up, there's no natural flow to it as you are interrupted with things to read and listen to every so many seconds. On top of that, most of the events are completely spoiled for you because you are given spoilers in the shape of manuscripts. See that gas station over there? Well, before you get there you'll know exactly what has happened there because the game stopped short of force-feeding it to you. It'll continue doing that way up till the end.

Allan Wake tries to be Max Payne but what Max Payne got right was constant action and storyline only when it was necessary to inform the player. Allan Wake just plays itself.

Not recommended.
  72. Mar 4, 2012
    Awesome game! Good PC version, no problems! great sory, gameplay and graphics but the ending was weak and the game could get repetitive. Overall worth buying 85/100
  73. Apr 20, 2012
    Great game if you can get past some of the weird graphical issues, lip syncing is some of the worst. It was a game that had its design goals changed and budget cut mid-creation, so some areas that feel exploratory are actually linear and were intended to have more content. Still, the atmosphere and story make up for its shortcomings and is one of my favorites. I really hope to see an AlanGreat game if you can get past some of the weird graphical issues, lip syncing is some of the worst. It was a game that had its design goals changed and budget cut mid-creation, so some areas that feel exploratory are actually linear and were intended to have more content. Still, the atmosphere and story make up for its shortcomings and is one of my favorites. I really hope to see an Alan Wake 2 soon with a bigger budget, given what the devs displayed here with a cut budget and little time, I have high hopes for what they can do in the future given the resources they need! Pick it up if you have the change, its totally worth it and do remember, it was originally released in 2010 with a bootstrap budget so don't expect 2012 big-budget graphics. Expand
  74. Sep 24, 2012
    I just loved this game, really good story line (reminded me of Steven King), interesting and original gameplay (fight with light), and nice graphics. Everything a gamer desires.
  75. Jan 2, 2013
    I just love this game. I think that that it's the best game ever made cause it's not just some normal horror game. The story telling is something new and the cinematic look it has is just so amazingly done! I just can't wait the next one!
  76. Feb 15, 2013
    There was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in theThere was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in the story of Alan Wake. Not only you get fun of reading another page of manuscript, listening to another radio show or watching episode on TV, but also you are taken by gameplay that is one of the most comfortable on XBOX360. That is one of the games that makes you think that you will replay it again long before the ending.
    I managed to complete all the achievements and played through the games three times. Thumbs up, Remedy! Unforgettable moment house container, where Alan is, is rolled by and thrown from the cliff.
  77. Aug 12, 2013
    I wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at leastI wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at least two hours in) and quite repetitive. Thanks, but no thanks.
    (Also, shooting mechanics and point of view sucked, not very intuitive)
  78. Feb 9, 2014
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    First of all. Terrible shaking videos brings you on island, where you get wrong direction and your girlfriend disappear. Ok, nice start and there are some scary ghost in forest, many pages from book, where are future steps described....
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    BUT! Main character is terribly crappy, unable to walk and run more than 50 meters. His position is on side, but he is moving to the center of screen, what is terrible first hour. After 1 hour you find him terrible clumsy. Ghost persons are coming from nowhere and you have to hit them with light from your lamp. And during this, he is terribly clumsy. When you are trying to run from them, they are faster and Alan is terribly clumsy to go around tree, rock. When Alan is hit, he is clumsy more than before...
    This game is joke. Creator was somebody who was creating main character and scene perspective completely drunk. When I see other games like Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, where character control is helpful, not doing stupidities, I'm asking WHY ? WHY ? Why did I bought this terrible game ???????
  79. Aug 11, 2012
    Alan Wake is like playing a Stephen King novel, interspersed with (for the most part) bland shooting segments that I wished would be over so I could move on to the next exposition. Overall enjoyed Alan Wake, but the repetitive nature of the combat, and constant 'run through a forest with a flashlight' segments got boring fast. The controls and camera angle are a little awkward as well.Alan Wake is like playing a Stephen King novel, interspersed with (for the most part) bland shooting segments that I wished would be over so I could move on to the next exposition. Overall enjoyed Alan Wake, but the repetitive nature of the combat, and constant 'run through a forest with a flashlight' segments got boring fast. The controls and camera angle are a little awkward as well. The atmosphere is great though, and I enjoyed seeing the story unravel. Expand
  80. Mar 24, 2012
    Remedy never dissapoints me. Another good game with an interesting story to play. I see many having issues with performance, runs great with all settings at high @ i5-2500k and ATi6870 atleast. Only thing I might say is that the game might be a bit repetive gameplay-wise after a while (Duck, light, shoot and repeat). Still it was an enjoyable experience :)
  81. May 28, 2012
    Despite being a couple of years old or whatever now, this still plays out as an almost very special single-player experience. You really feel compelled to play the game and get through to the ending, to find out what on earth has happened to Alan Wake's girlfriend. Has elements of Stephen King novels, Left for Dead and Twin Peaks. The story, atmosphere and setting of Bright Falls isDespite being a couple of years old or whatever now, this still plays out as an almost very special single-player experience. You really feel compelled to play the game and get through to the ending, to find out what on earth has happened to Alan Wake's girlfriend. Has elements of Stephen King novels, Left for Dead and Twin Peaks. The story, atmosphere and setting of Bright Falls is haunting and immersive. However, the non-linear jumbled up and sometimes slightly confusing tale of a writer's descent into some kind of psychotic darkness, only barely masks the utterly linear gameplay elements. This is game that where you literally have no decisions to make, and ultimately is a bit like a survival horror shooter. The combat is a little tricky at first, but eventually it becomes quite easy to manage a torch and gun - but I did suffer a little fatigue with having to deal with the same types of enemies. Plowing through the chapters was easy and addictive, yet could have been more challenging or at least had some forks in the road where Alan could make some decisions about where to go or what to do. In conclusion then I highly recommend checking this game out - it fails at being an outstanding shooter experience, and the story might just seem a little too far-out to get fully onboard with - but it certainly hooked me in, and would love to see a proper sequel someday. Expand
  82. Mar 11, 2012
    I really like the scinematic cutscenes but the game got really repetative after a while. The "puzzles" are more like roadbumps that slow you down than real puzzles because they are so easy. They just take time to do. I really liked the beginning of the game but I eventually got tired of the repetative combat encounters that I stopped playing it.
  83. Mar 13, 2012
    This game may be a console port, but there are lots of things done right in this game! The story is amazing! It gets the player really involved and the atmosphere adds to spooky feeling which this game delivers very well! The combat is excellent! The slow motion effects don't make this game easy also there is limited ammo to carry based on how powerful they are which feels balanced. TheThis game may be a console port, but there are lots of things done right in this game! The story is amazing! It gets the player really involved and the atmosphere adds to spooky feeling which this game delivers very well! The combat is excellent! The slow motion effects don't make this game easy also there is limited ammo to carry based on how powerful they are which feels balanced. The graphics have only improved on the textures, but its effect is still really well presented. But, this game isn't perfect. Auto Aim is permanently on and you can't go straight on to Nightmare mode which means the game treats the player like a noob from the start. Also, you cannot max out the graphics settings which is not surprising because it is a console port. Overall, this game is a good example of the effort developers need to put into making a console port, but it is because it's a console port that limits the game on PC. This game is on Steam and I recommend getting this one purely on the experience and story. Expand
  84. Mar 13, 2012
    It is story-heavy game and that story is pretty good. Finding those story pages is actually pretty good "storytelling mechanic" and I really loved it.

It has great gameplay mechanics. You have different tools to defeat enemies, but right combination is the key. Thanks to that, the gameplay feels very rewarding and I was really enjoying it all the time. Graphics of the game is very good,

Graphics of the game is very good, both technically and artistically. The darkness feels "real", The light really cuts trough it, and as a result, I was "scared" in the dark and I was rushing towards any kind of light that I saw.
  85. Mar 18, 2012
    When i started playing i was sceptic, but i soon changed mt mind. From a technical point of view, Alan Wake is good but not excellent. But the story, the setting, and the main character are simply fantastic. The plot contains plenty twists, it is always intriguing and exciting and Alan's madness is almost touchable.
    Another point of strenght of this game is the enormous number of details
    Another point of strenght of this game is the enormous number of details and cure that the developers had.
    Everything is designed for an immersive game: The manuscript pages, Night Springs series, pictures and paintings, radio programme...
    Also music is a positive element, it's perfectly choosen, and i can't forget the "Old gods of asgard", whose songs was written by the Poets Of The Fall.
    Not a perfect game (the fighting mechanism is boring), but a Must-have for who likes thriller and horror games and want to try something different, more original and "Serious" than a flat survival horror such as Resident Evil or Silent Hill.
  86. Mar 24, 2012
    I truly enjoyed playing through Alan Wake. I'll break it down for you. The storyline was fantastic and fresh; well-written for a game of this type. The setting was beautiful! If not for all of the thrills, I would have loved to pitch a tent and camp in the mountains. The characters were well developed enough for you to care for them, and make the story-telling worthwhile, but not asI truly enjoyed playing through Alan Wake. I'll break it down for you. The storyline was fantastic and fresh; well-written for a game of this type. The setting was beautiful! If not for all of the thrills, I would have loved to pitch a tent and camp in the mountains. The characters were well developed enough for you to care for them, and make the story-telling worthwhile, but not as developed as I would have liked. I enjoyed the episodic format and opportunities to enjoy the great soundtrack - with both new and old artists; I even bought a couple of tracks on iTunes afterward. The core gameplay concept is very unique, but at times difficult to master.

The weak points were predictable moments of attack from enemies, and repetitious attacks. Some suspense-building instead of constant suspense would have been nice. The control system was definitely designed for a joypad, so I recommend using a 360 controller or getting a 360 controller emulator for your existing joypad; play the game as it was designed to be played. Also, there are unreasonable difficulty spikes that made me feel I had to cheat the battle system to get through a segment instead of enjoying close-calls and bare success.

It's clear that Alan Wake was not micro managed by Microsoft and was developed free from a heavy hand. It feels very much like a game made by a small studio, so the weaknesses and strengths that go along with that show in the game. I recommend you give it a try!
  87. Vex
    Jul 6, 2012
    First of all, I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever.... so the mediocre score I'm giving this game isn't reflective of it's performance at all. My main gripe with this game is extreme repetitiveness and lack of true innovation. I'm some 4 hours into the game right now and from what I've seen, the entire gameplay can be boiled down to "run through the dark forest -> get attackedFirst of all, I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever.... so the mediocre score I'm giving this game isn't reflective of it's performance at all. My main gripe with this game is extreme repetitiveness and lack of true innovation. I'm some 4 hours into the game right now and from what I've seen, the entire gameplay can be boiled down to "run through the dark forest -> get attacked by a bunch of dark psychos -> kill them all with a flashlight and a gun -> repeat until you've reached your destination". In this day and age when more and more games provide true choice and shape the outcome according to the choice you make, boring games like this with the 90s gameplay have no place on any serious gamer's shelf. The first hour or so was fun but after that I was bored to tears.

Onto the more positive aspects: the atmosphere is decent, graphics are good and the surroundings look pretty and realistic. Too bad every good aspect is spoiled by extreme repetitiveness and dull gameplay with no true innovation.
  88. Apr 2, 2012
    Alan Wake has really nice story and dark atmosphere so play it only at night. The story is divided on few epizodes like some series. But there is only few type of enemies in this game. The optimization is very bad and after 2 episodes it will be very stereotype for you.
  89. Aug 20, 2013
    An amazing game, very deep atmosphere and story, really good mix between music and action, with some jokes sometimes. One game that shines over others games from this generation, you'll remember it.
  90. Jul 21, 2013
    Alan Wake has some great writing, a great story, great embedded atmosphere, but suffers a bit from repetitive gameplay. I found all of the cutscenes to be a relief from having to use the same mechanics over and over again to fight the zombies. With no RPG elements to speak of, I found myself becoming bored by the gameplay about half way through, but the story was too compelling to give upAlan Wake has some great writing, a great story, great embedded atmosphere, but suffers a bit from repetitive gameplay. I found all of the cutscenes to be a relief from having to use the same mechanics over and over again to fight the zombies. With no RPG elements to speak of, I found myself becoming bored by the gameplay about half way through, but the story was too compelling to give up on. Second, the survival elements of this game are out of whack. I found the game to be a lot of feast and famine- some levels, I would have all the flares and ammunition I needed. On other levels, I died multiple times because there's no way to kill bad guys without ammo, and I would get stuck in an area with constantly spawning enemies. Since there's no indication of this, I would try and fight my way out, trying time after time, but would eventually have to run out to escape (which is difficult, given your character's limited stamina). On a side note, there's tons of great, original content that went into this game- the story pages, the original songs, and the Night Springs TV show. These items, plus the story, made the game worth the trip. Expand
  91. Sep 18, 2013
    The best story telling in recent memory. Sometimes the controls suck but the ambiance, careful style progression and suspense punctuated by real fear your batteries will run out on your flashlight makes it amazing and totally worth it. I usually avoid console ports religiously but I'm glad I picked this gem up on sale.
  92. Jul 1, 2013
    just the idea of the game is amazing and new and the story is the best with the perfect cinematic like every game from remedy entertainment this was the best on 2010 and the best on Xbox 360
  93. Jul 30, 2013
    Somehow, I never managed to find something special in this game. To me, Alan Wake is basically just another third person action shooter. It is one above average though, but still I found the gameplay itself to become very boring and repetitive after only around two hours into the game. I was also rather annoyed than fascinated by what I felt to be a pseudo in depth psychological horrorSomehow, I never managed to find something special in this game. To me, Alan Wake is basically just another third person action shooter. It is one above average though, but still I found the gameplay itself to become very boring and repetitive after only around two hours into the game. I was also rather annoyed than fascinated by what I felt to be a pseudo in depth psychological horror storyline. Graphics, sound, and atmosphere are all very good, but the gameplay itself just couldn't keep me entertained. I finished the game within less than 10 hours and won't give it another go. Expand
  94. Aug 26, 2013
    The story is just amazing. The atmosphere is well-done, the gameplay is a little bit repetitive at times but it's still good. A good PC port too. Amazing game.
  95. Jun 25, 2014
    I have mixed feelings about this one. The story line is quite good, well above average, and the voice acting is good. But the gameplay is VERY frustrating and repetitive—first chapter of the game and you have seen it all.

This game is all about getting from A to B and from B to C (repeat ad nauseam) in a linear path. You have to reach checkpoints in order to save, so you will have to repeat over and over again the sections you hate the most, video scenes included—and, oh, you will hate them. Honestly, I was so tempted to abandon the game several times.

You are encouraged to explore everything (for weapons, story and the unbelievable 100 useless thermos) but the reward is not up to the waste of time and literally infinite enemies that will assault you.

Bottom line: the story is good. If you like mystery books or Stephen King then, absolutely, give it a go, you will not find anything like this. Otherwise use with caution. Perhaps wait for a good sale? I could recommend it to some people but, honestly, I doubt I would have played it had I known better.
  96. Aug 3, 2012
    Extremely repetitive, moderately boring, and very disturbing to control (consolitis). If you want to just kill zombies, try Left for dead. If you're after a good story, try a good book. If you buy this, be ready for an extremely shallow, simple game.
  97. Jul 13, 2012
    Alan wake. How **** a game can be. The game is all about running around in a **** forest (at least for the most part of this **** game), you get bored easily, the combat mechanics is completely retarded and the controls feel wonky, like if Alan is drunk. There's not much to do at the game, only runnin around, combat(which sucks) and collecting **** There's no variety at all. The story isAlan wake. How **** a game can be. The game is all about running around in a **** forest (at least for the most part of this **** game), you get bored easily, the combat mechanics is completely retarded and the controls feel wonky, like if Alan is drunk. There's not much to do at the game, only runnin around, combat(which sucks) and collecting **** There's no variety at all. The story is good but its so confusing and has so many gaps, as if they were tired of thinking about a story and just left it unfinished. The game has a good setting and is very immersive until you get bored on the first couple of hours of gameplay. Don't even try this ridiculous game. Expand
  98. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best game i ever played. I loved every moment in this game. The story, the graphic are so good. Game of the Year 2012.
  99. Aug 7, 2012
    10/10. This game, is a good console port!!! Good graphics for a console port :)!
    And its really cool story driven Thriller game, and its UNIQUE! I love it, full points to this game.

You should get this if you are intrested in a psychic triller action shooter which is fun, and also scary!
  100. Mar 17, 2012
    Finally some fresh air in gaming industry producing very atmospheric and intrigating adventure. Gameplay itself is a little bit repetitive killing same type of enemies over and over again but this is not type of game where some pure skills are required. It's just to keep you ''awake'' letting you know that danger is around there stalking your next move. Storyline tho is quiet amazing,Finally some fresh air in gaming industry producing very atmospheric and intrigating adventure. Gameplay itself is a little bit repetitive killing same type of enemies over and over again but this is not type of game where some pure skills are required. It's just to keep you ''awake'' letting you know that danger is around there stalking your next move. Storyline tho is quiet amazing, deffinitely better than 90% of movies i've watched actually. Well, i need to add that Alan's pal Barry is one of the best characters ingame i've seen in a long time. When you heard him for first time you can get an idea that he's some egoistic manager who's keep calling Alan just because of moneymaking policy but as story goes on he's becoming a real friend who will die for you. His voice acting and the way he act overall reminds me somehow on Joe Pesci. : ) Overall it's a very very good product which doesnt require some crazy skill and storyline with it's atmosphere will get you after first 20 seconds. Expand
  101. Mar 21, 2012
    This is a great game!
    There is a gimmick to it, but it is not bad at all. Feels a lot like the old Max Payne games because it is the same studio, but totally different atmosphere than Max Payne. This game makes extensive use of light and shadow and it will definitely frighten you.
    This is a great game!

Once you get the hang of the gameplay then it should be fairly easy to get through all but the toughest areas. The scenery is a joy to behold and is some of the best I've seen in awhile. If there is one thing that remedy does well then it is developing the atmosphere to make you feel like you are really in the game, Alan Wake is no different, great atmosphere, great story, and I really felt myself wanting to play more to evolve the story.

I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the "bad guys", but that goes the same for nearly every game. The way that the story presents the characters makes the whole thing very believable. Basically, it feels like you are playing a Stephen King novel, and that is a pretty high compliment. There is no sex or depravity like in King novels, but plenty of frightening scenes and lots of malevolent creatures.

Being your flashlight!

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012