Alice: Madness Returns PC

8.4

1. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    Haven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me duringHaven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me during the entire game). 8 out of 10. Expand
  2. Oct 6, 2013
    Should be called "Alice goes to slimelight" it's so goth fashion. However it's a great game, with a few niggles... Camera choices are sometimes a bit... er... Sometimes the targeting is broken and you'll end up dying simply because the camera couldn't be bothered to shift. Thankfully the game and atmosphere are good enough to make you able to ignore these setbacks.
  3. May 12, 2012
    Alice is a fantastic journey of creativity and innovation with a twist of psychosis. It's a solid puzzle platformer offering occasional action alongside shattered story pieces which eventually end up being glued back together.

It's one gleaming fault is the puzzles get wearisome due to their excessive repetition, chapter after chapter. This stems from the fact that the game doesn't offer equal amounts of platforming, action, and story elements. It's more like 75% platforming and 25% divided by the other two. Now the platforming aspect is done very well--there's just too much of it.

Overall, I highly enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't want to play it all the way through a second time.
  4. Jan 31, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game that needs to be experienced. It's a wonderful journey through a weird and haunting place. This is a game that feels fresh in today's gaming world. So please, pick it up and give it a try.
  5. Aug 18, 2015
    this game shows nice graphic effect by unreal engine. physx effect is nice too. the action is very nice enough to buy only for this point. but the part of latter is a little boring.
  6. Jul 19, 2014
    Way too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate thisWay too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate this game low, it is great, at least for first ten hours. Expand
  7. May 22, 2014
    Take away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly pacedTake away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly paced and feature gratuitous amounts of either lopsided combat or platforming sections. Alice: Madness Returns only features something like four major weapons (poor girl) and once they're introduced and upgraded a few times, old strategies for enemies start becoming obsolete as weapons like the teapot cannon can annihilate even newer "more challenging" enemies (rather quickly I should add). The combat goes from just "fine" to terrible at a moments notice, usually involving a bad camera angle or from not being able to see enemies telegraphing an attack (which the game conveniently PAUSES in order for the player to react to). This would be forgive-able if their was much of any variation in the combat or at least actual combo's, but alas, their isn't much of either. Alice herself has a finicky jumping mechanic that allows her to triple jump, but unfortunately their are sections that expect you to make very large gaps utilizing it and other points where the game decides that you just weren't supposed to make it that far- Meaning of course that you missed (yet again) another invisible platform somewhere between where you started jumping and wherever you need to jump to. Which I could also forgive if this mechanic wasn't endlessly repeated to the point where you really aren't sure if you're even accomplishing anything until you run into a scripted sequence or puzzle. Their is hardly any "flow" to the level design, often you'll get stuck (though not for very long) simply because you missed something like a switch, or a platform or perhaps things got monotonous and you totally forget who you were or what you were doing. Alice herself seems to be hardly engaging as a character which makes moments like bumping into minor characters very trivial and legitametely boring. A lot of the dialogue is flowery and nonsensical (which fans might claim is part of the "charm" of the game and similar to the actual dialogue found in the book). In this case however, the dialogue simply causes the game to come off as an impenetrable mess of writing which sounded lazy, and deliberately eschews decent plot or story for pointless snippets of moronic disconnected gibberish. The only thing that will drag most players in is the general aesthetics, themes, and interesting locations explored in each chapter of the game. Alice: Madness Returns also has some fairly tight controls at times, but its hardly perfect. Its well made enough to get you through it, but many things will get tiresome the longer you play. Physx(tm) additions were hardly interesting, as Alice's clothing and hair physics were already programmed into the games OWN physics engine. This means that the only things effected by the addition of Physx(tm) technology are liquids and various debris. These hardly add anything to the actual experience and serve only to show just how useless Physx(tm) is and how generally leaving it on decreases game performance substantially with hardly any visual benefits. Bloom and a combination of high quality bloom lighting generally covers up areas of the game with horrid texture quality which wouldn't be a terrible problem, but even the re-released copy of the first Alice game, which is included with this game, feature higher quality textures on surfaces than some areas in "Madness Returns." Generally speaking the sound quality is fantastic and the actual music in the game is wonderfully ambient. At times it was the strongest element in a chapter and meshed well with combat sequences. It had a way of lulling you into a false sense of security and fit the art direction very well. The mechanics that don't work as well i.e. platforming, combat, tedious puzzles- serve only to slow down player progression, frustrate and ultimately (though they function) I wouldn't ever call them well executed or fun. They were simply ways to elongate gameplay at the end of the day. It is doubtful, but if these mechanics were put together in a better way, with more focus on tighter level design and with the same art direction- you could make a very good sequel to this game. Something with a bit more polish than this title would be revolutionary. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2012
    A severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed moreA severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed more replayability and was more original the game could easily deserve a 10, yet it already deserves a 10 in every other category, art direction, sound, voice acting, graphics and polish. The game is also long, and full of content, bursting with quality. Expand
  9. Jul 23, 2011
    Reminds me of the good old platforming games like Crash or Croc... except here we play a psycho girl with a knife, how cool is that? I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the performance issues i've expierenced.
  10. Nov 9, 2015
    I'm a total sucker for "twisted fairy tale" settings so this one earns easy points from me. It's weird and twisted, sometimes bloody and violent, and makes for a very fun journey, if not the most polished one.

Gameplay is a mix of platforming and combat, both of which are so-so. Never too frustrating but never feeling especially engaging. The real strength is the setting and backdrop, exploring deeper and deeper to find out what creepy surprises await you as you press on. It's worth diving into, and I had enough fun with it to keep going right to the end, and it is surprisingly long too, clocking in at 10-12 hours if you take your time to look around.
  11. sft
    Jul 24, 2016
    Bite me!

Bite me!

I don’t care much for platformers but decided to pick up a copy of AMR while it was on sale simply because it looked intriguing. What drew me the most was the visual design, and this is where the game scores most highly. It’s very striking visually (although the quality of the graphics could be better), and it’s in keeping with the various other imaginings of Wonderland that have been produced over the years. It has a reasonably strong story line and the voice acting is of a high standard too, both of which help to make the AMR version of Wonderland all the more convincing. So what of the gameplay? Well I’m no expert due to my dislike of the genre but the platforming here is fun for the most part although it got old for me about two-thirds of the way through. The combat is okay and their are some cool weapons, such as a teapot cannon and an awesome hobby horse melee weapon. But the game utilises a crazy targeting system that seemed utterly pointless to me and spoiled some of the fun. Overall I was impressed by AMR, and it was fun to play. It has not, however, converted me into an ardent platformer.
  12. Aug 26, 2011
    amazing sound design and graphical level design go a very long way to excusing rather repetitive game play at times.

Every second of the game feels like an analyses of the protagonists psyche as it should, coupled with a surprisingly dark story provided plenty of incentive as well to play through the overlong levels especially in the second half of the game. Combat is instantly

Combat is instantly recognizable from similar action games like god of war or darksiders and does little to nothing to add to that side of the genre.

You will get the most enjoyment from this playing it simply to see the next bizarre set piece, and that's how I strongly suggest it be played.
  13. Oct 17, 2011
    It's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hiddenIt's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hidden elements are disadvantages. my opinion about this game: Alice Madness Returns has beautifully twisted art style and atmosphere. the gameplay is not innovative but still fun. The game itself is filled with intense action, interactive environments, and interesting puzzles. Yes, Alice MR has its own problems, for example, the length is a bit short comparing to the original one and the control can be jerky at times. yet, playing through game is still an enjoyable experience. Overall a sold 8 out of 10. Expand
  14. Fuz
    Jun 20, 2011
    Black bars on a 4:3 are an abomination, and the terrible mouse controls are VERY uncomfortable and make me feel ill at the point that I can't play this game at all.
    Too bad, the art direction seemed very good, so dear devs, please learn how to program a decent control system.
  15. Sep 21, 2011
    This game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replayThis game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replay ability poor. Another let down was the ending and end boss fight was a little too boring and cliche. But still enjoyed its gross gory wonderland fun puzzle thriller. Expand
  16. Jan 7, 2015
    Creepy supernatural Victoriana.

Yes I agree with that summation. Graphically it's excellent because delves into visuals that are imaginative. Gameplay or combat is fun. Spooky and brilliant. However the fun stops there. It is a git of a game to play. I have put in 17 hours on the clock, but actual game save time is 9 hours 10 minutes. In other words 7 hours and fifty minutes (44%
    Creepy supernatural Victoriana.

However the fun stops there. It is a git of a game to play. I have put in 17 hours on the clock, but actual game save time is 9 hours 10 minutes. In other words 7 hours and fifty minutes (44% play time) was spent repeating stuff. Trying and trying until I screamed and was shaking in distress to get past hard parts.

It often goes into a 2-D side-scroller. Things like where you have to make jumps over obstacles and avoid fire from weapons. (One hit kill.) I just quit now and have given up the game 'for ever' in a 2-D part. The first parts of this bit were ok-ish. Then the next bit took about 30 goes to get past. Then the next bit I counted 58 goes to get past. Then the next little bit I counted 24 tries and shut down the game without getting past.

Why am I making over a hundred attempts to get past short passages of any game? It's because it looks great even though the graphics are not that complex. They are nicely designed. If I did not love that aspect of Alice:MR I would have stopped playing a long time ago. Now though it has reached the stage where the downside is greater than the up-side. I give up. Towel thrown in. Not half way through the game.

All the way it was try-die, until I nearly broke down. It has taken me weeks to get this far, because I keep having to shut down from stress. I would much prefer the disk space for another game than suffer any more of this.
  17. Dec 10, 2014
    This game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a realThis game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a real bore to me. But the whole art style, the sound and even the story are amazing to me. Yes, you should try it. Just don't play more than 2 hours per day, and you'll love it. Expand
  18. Aug 7, 2013
    Completed it and I don't really know what to feel about this. There was a beautiful game called American McGee's alice where she wrestled with her subconcious and here it just seems a little lazy in areas. The design is very beautiful and detailed, but the story itself insults fans of the origonal game by re-writting a few things for someone to make their own story in reguard to the wayCompleted it and I don't really know what to feel about this. There was a beautiful game called American McGee's alice where she wrestled with her subconcious and here it just seems a little lazy in areas. The design is very beautiful and detailed, but the story itself insults fans of the origonal game by re-writting a few things for someone to make their own story in reguard to the way children were treated in the time period it's set in. I won't give much away, but that is somewhat of a focus of it, however the ending felt very bitter sweet to me I have to say.

I'd only get it on sale and even then, check the steam forums where people have shown how to modify the game code to a much smoother and better working Alice game.

Hell the first time where it looks like there's a boss battle it gets interupted, making me wonder if there were origonally more boss battles in this apart from the ending, but had to be cut due to time constraints. The game by itself is Average at best, but the fact that they try to tie it to the origonal is horrible and they even add a sister who never exsisted just to play into their whole story that, as I said above, leads to a rarther bitter-sweet ending that leaves a foul taste in your mouth. Also the collectables are pointless as there are no alternate endings to it through a search on youtube has revealed.

You do not have all the many weapons like in the origonal game, but instead only four weapons. Another pet-peeve is where the first game is felt more like wonderland could actually be another world, this game makes it much more like it's 100% that Alice is insane and her wonderland is altered from everything she sees during her lucid states.

A good thing many fans will love is the many different dresses available that are all quite creative and awesome. some of the imagry is quite dark and disturbing too, but again it falls flat when you realise the gameplay is average and it insults a game that was considered by fans as an offical sequal to the Lewis Carrol books.
  19. Jul 30, 2011
    As a big fan of the first Alice, I had my doubts. But Madness Returns outshines the first one in every way. There is a HUGE Psychonauts influence here (and at one point the developers pay homage in a laugh-out-loud manner). The exploration is amazing, the story is more mature and compelling, the combat is more intense than MANY of the top line FPS games out there.
  20. Jun 18, 2011
    this game is everything alice 1 was and much better...the art makes this game a beautiful one...the pc version, once again is th better version with tight controls, great interface....a total underrated gem...love this...pirated, played the first 10 minutes, bought it on steam...thats how much i enjoyed the first 10 minutes...great game..do yourself a favor and play this, its a breath ofthis game is everything alice 1 was and much better...the art makes this game a beautiful one...the pc version, once again is th better version with tight controls, great interface....a total underrated gem...love this...pirated, played the first 10 minutes, bought it on steam...thats how much i enjoyed the first 10 minutes...great game..do yourself a favor and play this, its a breath of fresh air amongst the console crap of nowadays and shooters...a plat former for everyone Expand
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    Alice Madness Returns is one of those games you would really want to like. With some polishing and stronger story-telling it could have been great game. Unfortunately, as it is, this game is very mediocre in almost all aspects. It has shallow story and characters, bad dialog, repetitive gameplay, messy controls and camera that can't quite keep up.

The only strong point of this game is

The only strong point of this game is visual design. Few games manage to great so unique and surreal visual experience. Unfortunately even this is ruined by low texture quality. Overall visual feel is a bit messy and blurry.

If you like platformers and don't expect anything exceptional or deep, this game might be okay buy. Also if you liked the original game, this has very same feel in it. Otherwise, I would skip this one.
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    This game isn't without it's flaws but none were game-breaking or enough to take much away from the sheer fun I had playing this title.

The story takes place in London and Wonderland as Alice, now out of the asylum she was in the original game, is in therapy trying to make sense of her life events. Her main goal is to collect the pieces of her shattered memory and rebuild the events of her past and get to the truth of the matter at hand.

With one or two exceptions the graphics are gorgeous. Environments are richly detailed with bright colorful areas and dark sinister areas. Alice and her various dresses are works of art and most of the other characters are well done and well animated though I wish some characters/enemies would have been done a little bit better. The visual style breaks from the 3d game-play rendering with artistic 2d paper diorama style cut-scenes which add a nice break from poor quality 3d cut-scenes found in other games.

Game control is smooth and flowing with jumping, gliding, and combat both responsive and fluid. Combat is straight forward hack-and-slash fare with timing of both attack and defense the key to surviving the tougher opponents. What really lacks here is the camera control. The camera doesn't auto-center itself behind you and positioning it while in combat can be problematic at times, especially when you're focused on a target where you can't move the camera at all leaving your opponent off screen sometimes.

Music in the game suits the levels well featuring a heavy dose of bells throughout most of the pieces. Slow somber pieces and fast harsh pieces follow Alice's mindset as she traverses London and Wonderland. Sound effects are top notch for the most part as are the character voice overs.

Weapons are varied plentiful from the familiar Vorpal Blade to the Clockwork Rabbit Bomb with the Hobby Horse and Pepper Grinder in between. The Umbrella and the ability to dodge (you can dodge while you jump!) round out your defenses. Alice also has a special shrink power which let's her access special hideaways and see otherwise invisible objects.

The games story flows nicely though there are places you can see where elements are missing (due to some areas being cut out of the game). It will take a keen eye to grasp all of the connection in this game that ties the story together as metaphor and imagery play a prevalent part of the story telling. Thankfully the major plot points are left vague and you aren't left with a "what the" at the end.

Level design is decidedly linear with very little opportunity to deviate from the main path. Levels are long and somewhat repetitive but for the most part I found myself enjoying traveling through them collecting memories and bottles and peppering snouts. Save for the London areas no two levels are the same, each having its own theme and style.

Outside the game in the menu there are character bios, artwork, and other things to unlock/look at to enhance the experience. These are worthwhile extras which add to the overall enjoyment I had with this game.

The game offers various difficulty levels and you can switch difficulty at any time if things get to hard for you. Once you complete the game you can start a new game with all the weapons you collected and access to the various dresses you collected and pick the look and/or dress ability you want if you so choose. You can even replay a specific section of any of the levels as much as you want until you collect every last item out there.

All in all Alice: Madness Returns is just short of a masterpiece. It's flaws are easy enough to deal with because they are overshadowed by rich environments, a haunting soundtrack, smooth gameplay and a story you won't soon forget.
  23. Nov 29, 2014
    Alice: Madness Returns is one of the best games I have ever played. Good games nowadays are hard to find. Here's my breakdown:

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby 2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging 3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game 4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby
    2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging
    3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game
    4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be unresponsive at times, and can be better

Overall, a fantastic game.
  24. Jun 30, 2014
    This game has a great story and atmosphere, but too much platforming in order to get hidden items which advance the story. Didn't like the controls at all and found it too difficult so just threw in the towel & played in god mode and hacked the jumping to allow me to jump higher.
  25. Jun 6, 2013
    A pretty mediocre platforming game, however it is the art style and the character of the game that makes this one worth a play.
  26. Jun 25, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns falls short on gameplay but excels in atmosphere and art. The platforming, while fun at first, becomes tiresome towards the end. I felt that each level was stretched out to be just a bit too repetitive, particularly the Doll House. The combat was a strong point of the game and is fast-paced and exciting, though it too suffers from some repetitiveness. A biggerAlice: Madness Returns falls short on gameplay but excels in atmosphere and art. The platforming, while fun at first, becomes tiresome towards the end. I felt that each level was stretched out to be just a bit too repetitive, particularly the Doll House. The combat was a strong point of the game and is fast-paced and exciting, though it too suffers from some repetitiveness. A bigger variety of enemies and the inclusion of boss fights would have gone a long way. As I mentioned the atmosphere of the game, like its predecessor, is fantastic. The art and music immerse the player in a sick and twisted fantasy world. The story is good enough to drive the game, and the ending is satisfying. The ideas and concepts are fresh in an industry plagued by dull first person shooters, but the execution could use some polish. While I gave a rating of 7, I would give the game a 6.5 overall. Expand
  27. Aug 4, 2011
    Cannot comment on mouse controls as I use a 360 pad but this game is good fun, I really wasn't expecting much from it, being Alice in Wonderland and me being someone narrow-minded but I really had fun playing this game. It is not the most taxing game in the world but for a 3D platformer it is fun y0.
  28. Jan 1, 2012
    Just as imaginative and fun as the original game. Beautiful scenery and creative gameplay make this a unique game and very fun to play. I hope that EA makes a third game if possible.
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    this game is awesome i loved every second of it and just wish that it was even longer than what it was. if you havnt got this game already you should go and buy it.
  30. Jun 16, 2011
    This game is a piece of art. If you're looking for adrenalin rush, or for a game to be a fine tuned hypnotic machine to make you think you're l33t. This is not that game. It is a fine piece of art for those who want to explore a fantastic world artfully placed between genius and insanity.

Game reviewers these days are such morons. On one hand, they whine like dying cows when outsiders say game isn't art. On the other hand, when a truly artistic game comes out, they complain about gameplay being too repetitive and "irritating" then use that to slap on a low score.

1. Oct 17, 2011
    All in all, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a good sequel. Not superlative, but not a cheap knockoff. If topsy-turvy architecture, steampunk menaces, and Victorian psychotherapy tickle your geek itch, this is a title well worth playing.
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a living contradiction, an unholy union of incredible visual flair and ho-hum gameplay.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 8, 2011
    Combat is flawed, but does little to detract from the game's breathtaking depiction of lunacy. [Sept 2011, p.61]